Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• fiveacesfiveaces Member Posts: 1
    I have 06 with this problem. Replaced under warranty at 30k miles. At 45k doing it again. Replacement part only warranted for 12k. Dealer said lube problem with steering. Want $189 to lube. I've had dozens of cars, some with as many as 250k + . NEVER had to have steering lubed. Needless to say not happy. If I buy a new Toyota, part of the new deal will have to be that any warranty repairs will be warranted for same as original warranty 3 yrs/36k miles.
  • jlsextonjlsexton Member Posts: 302
    Toyota has the same sickness all the American companies had before their fall, ARROGANCE. These latest problems and how they were handled is a perfect example. A car that accelerates at a high rate of speed is scary but the fact I was never notified & had to call MYSELF to make an appointment means to me the dealers have the same arrogance, we're number 1 screw you. When this is fixed (I hope) I will write a letter to my paper & blast Toyota & my dealer whom I've bought several cars from for their lack of concern. Good Luck, me I'd sue in small claims, screw them back. By the way I was on their side until they blew off the repairs, actually defended them.
  • cmb08cmb08 Member Posts: 24
    Hi.
    Laser Cruise control does not seem to be an option in our area...
    It was not an option I really wanted to pay for.
    Could anyone tell me what they think about it? Is it worth it?
    Any problems?
    Do you have the option to "turn it off" and have it function simply as the traditional cruise control does?
    Thanks
  • pcc49pcc49 Member Posts: 25
    I own a 2006 Avalon limited with laser cruise control. I found this cruise control very effective. However, I do not kmow of a way to disable the laser function and I don't really have a reason to disable it. I found the laser warning system very effective. You can also adjust the warning "sensibility" (distance between your car and the car in front of you) by choosing one of three settings: Most distance(conservertive), Medium and Least distance.
  • riley3riley3 Member Posts: 29
    I have an '05 Avalon Ltd with laser cruise. It's ok but not that great. Once set it will maintain your speed until it senses a slower vehicle ahead. Then it slows to follow that car at a distance you can set. Once the next lane is clear and you pull out the cruise hits the accelerator, the tranny shifts down, and you go like a bat out of hell. Scary the first time but I find it best to accelerate to near set speed before cruise engages.
    The car also has the standard cruise control. Turn on the cruise, push down on the cruise stalk and the standard cruise is available.
    I use the laser some but would not pay much for it.
  • henry8thhenry8th Member Posts: 3
    Help! I just bought a 2005 Toyota Avalon with 19k miles---Excellent condition. The only problem is that there is a terrible rattle in the sun roof, especially if I'm driving on a little uneven surface. It's driving me crazy. If I push the celiling behind the roof it won't rattle but I'm at a lost on how this can be repaired. Does anyone know? Thanks!

EH
  • dlovesbdlovesb Member Posts: 34
    I have a black 05 avalon . I am going to need tire replacement in a few months all four. The tires that are on the car now is 215/55-17. What is the widest tire size that will fit all four without rubbing? 235-50-17, 245/50-17, 255/45-17? The 17" rims are nice and I'm not going to buy different rims. :confuse:
  • kl_dckl_dc Member Posts: 2
    EH - I am the owner of 2006 Avalon. I love it. However this is one of those "bugger issues". The Service Department can't repair and the only fix appears to be the one you mentioned. I think it's a matter of fit and finish.
    Thanks for the reply. It is a great car, and I love it too, but the noise is obnoxious and annoying---constant rattle every time I hit a bump. I feel like I have to have the whole sun roof removed and investigated. WTF.
  • xxagonxxagon Member Posts: 6
    With only 19k miles, you might be able to get the dealer to fix it for you under the following TSB:
    Make : TOYOTA Model : AVALON Year : 2005
    Manufacturer : TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION
    Service Bulletin Number : 01607 Date of Bulletin : DEC 21, 2007
    NHTSA Item Number : 10024009
    Component : VISIBILITY:SUN ROOF ASSEMBLY
    Summary :
    KNOCKING NOISE FROM FRONT OF MOON ROOF. *NJ
    Fantastic. Thank you very much for the reply. I'm even looking at having it all replaced without the sun roof. Unless, of course, the dealer will fix it as per your TSB. Thank you again. That was nice of you to send along.
  • havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    Check out #13673 by captain2, when he started using Toyo Versados and explained the reasons for size 235-50-17. I also have these, they perform really well in summer and also did OK their first winter.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    edited March 2010
    Not sure about the rubbing on the car but there may be a speedo correction necessary.... or maybe not. ;)
  • havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    edited March 2010
    fin, 235-50-17 is wider but does not rub and has same circumference as the original 215/55-17, so no speedometer error. This was explained in captain2's messages that followed #13673. ;);)
    Thanks for the correct information...my tire size calculator program showed a big difference and it was wrong for some reason, now it works properly... :)
    I want to thank captain 2,havalongavalon and others for the replies to finding wider tires. A similiar question is the 235/50-17 the widest without getting a wider rim? I don't care about a couple of mile an hour differences in speed. I know our avalons are meant to be luxurious sedans but I have added a custom shaved wing from a celica to my car. It makes the car look sporty. I have had a ton of compliments on the look from all age groups. I tend to personalize my cars.This is why I wanted widest tires I can put on those rims. To have that finishing touch or stance look for the car. :shades:
  • gohawaiiangohawaiian Member Posts: 84
    Has anyone experienced a jammed rear window shade (sunscreen) on the Avalon LImited, where it would not automatically retract after you push the button that operates it OR after you put the car in reverse? I have that problem now for the first time and wondered if anyone knows of a do-it-yourself fix. I may need to see a Toyota service dept. otherwise.
  • rhackrhack Member Posts: 24
    I agree with riley3's assessment, also I have noticed that the laser does not detect certain vehicles such landscape trailers with expanded metal ramps. car will run right to the back of trailer before engaging. Not worth the extra cost.
  • davepiszykdavepiszyk Member Posts: 16
    I have a 2007 LTD Avalon with an electric rear sunscreen. It stopped working this past week. I can hear a click when I push the button but nothing...It's also stuck in the up position.
    Is there a manual override so I can drop the screen down? Is there an easy fix as this sounds like the electric motor may be fried....
    Dave, I own a 2006, mine retracts automaticly in reverse, a safety feature I assume but you have made me a little nervous. I use this only when parking on a very sunny day or at night to block some idiots highbeams, so did you use this very frequently as in daily, I'm trying to estimate it's life. No button on mine at all.
    Just wondering in anyone else has this problem, the gas filler door NOT opening.

This happened in my Camry & now the 06 Avalon & has been for about a year or more. It's a cheap lousy set up as the metal is not tempered as in an actual spring. On the Camry it eventually broke off from me having to bend it out at each fillup. Not as serious a problem as most unless you're low on gas & it won't open. Now I place a credit card in the closed door and press the release if it refuses to work properly.
  • davepiszykdavepiszyk Member Posts: 16
    Yes, I use it often as I live in So Cal. It also has the reverse auto feature.
    How do you raise it up if you don't have a button?
    edited July 2010
    This happened to me on my '07 Limited.... The problem was the retracting part, not the door. It may need a little adjustment or maybe retighten the locknut holding it in place. Yes, it is a BIG surprise when it happens and you are out of town and out of gas as we were. Keep it lubricated too, that helps. Repaired it myself, has not been a problem since.
    Sorry, my teleprompter wasn't working properly. Yes I have a button to raise it, for some reason I simply forgot as it always lowers itself & it just skipped my mind. Is your Avalon not still under warranty, it is a 2007. I would take a voltmeter & check the connection to see is it has 12 volts, perhaps this thing is fused & it blew, IF it is the motor I personally would first ask the dealers service dept.to repair it, if no then the area Rep, again if no, I would make it clear I was posting their answers on Edmunds. With Toyota's quality problems lately perhaps they might not want you to do so & oblige, who knows.
    I will follow your advice BUT I believe it is the metal spring part, as when I bend it out it opens fine. I was thinking of trying to insert a small coil spring to eliminate this annoyance. As I said the one on the Camry actually broke & I replaced it. On a $36000 (list price ) vehicle I would expect better.
  • ogaboneogabone Member Posts: 1
    Help, 2007 Toyota Avalon Limited my smart key will not lock or unlock doors only a steady beep for about 2 sec, but will open the trunk and start the car. All doors are closed It worked fine before. The buttons on the remote still work so I dont think it is the battery. Any suggestions?
  • bowerbower Member Posts: 2
    yesterday my wife and I noticed that both the passenger and driver floors were wet, we park the car in a garage, so it is not out in the rain, we have been using the AC a lot lately, could this be an AC drainage issue, the water seemed to come from below the floor mats.
    Probably a clogged drainage hose BUT it seems far too soon in an 05, this usually takes a lot longer, of course I'm in NY & only use it for a couple of months. I'd try that first, before looking for a leak. ONly happened to me once in a Starion & it was 12 years old. .
    edited July 2010
    I was hoping for a facelift for the 2011, guess we'll have to wait until next year.

On the sudden acceleration fix, make sure they re-flash your vehicle to safe-brake standards. Your engine should slow down immediately upon touching the brake.
  • bowerbower Member Posts: 2
    Thank You for that info, hope its just a clogged drain.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    The 2011 is a facelift. The front and rear ends are different and the dashboard completely redesigned (no more doors over the radio, etc). I will admit, though, that for a model introduced in 05 they could have done more to change it.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• tjay1tjay1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I've just bought 2006 avalon & 23K this week and it's really nice!!
    But, i found one thing differnt from my Camry 2004,

when i trying to lock door remotely, i push lock button twice by habit.
    then about 3~5 seconds later, engine automatically start and stop and serivce light on... ( engine not started)
    Once it happened, I have to open the front door with key ( not remote).

This is normal? or I have to go to dealer to check up.

Thank you in advance.
    tjay1, I have learned that it takes 3 presses to start the car with the remote but you must hold down the button on the last press to watch the lights come on and your car will start. The other thing is you should be able to just walk up to the car as long as you have remote in pocket and unlock the car just by pulling on the handle. You also should be able to lock car with remote in pocket by just pushing any button on any car door handle. Try these steps and let me know how you make out. :shades:
  • beachfish2beachfish2 Member Posts: 177
    My 2006 Avalon XLS had remote start, but no sensors on the door handles. My 2010 Highlander Limited has the sensors on the door handles and the little square push button to lock it, so I know there is a difference. Actually, the Highlander only has the little push button on the driver's door.

Too many option packages and add-ons for me to keep up with.

John
  • tjay1tjay1 Member Posts: 2
    Dear dlovesb.

Thank you for your prompt advice. :-)
    I tried but my car fail to start remotely, I may need to go dealer to check it.
    I hope this costs me 0. ;)

Have a good day. dlovesb
  • chrstna446chrstna446 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2005 Touring with 106K miles. I took my car in for to have the recall issues repaired and told them about an oil leak. It was actual noticed by the dealer earlier in the year and they thought that maybe by performing the oil line recall the problem would fixed. Obviously it did not. Well the service advisor told me that the leak was coming from the timing unit and it would cost $2,450 to fix. I declined the service at this time.

I looked through my files and a repair of the same problem was done about three years ago, but they covered it even though I was just over my 50K warranty.

Now I don't know what to do. I definately do not want to spend that much money, as this is no longer my primary car. I would like to keep the Avalon, but it's not worth it to me to spend that much money. I have usually serviced my car at the dealer, but I was wondering if any one has had any experience with an independent mechanic and how much they might charge? Or should I just get rid of this car? I have owned several Toyotas because of their quality. I don't think this car has lived up to that reputation.
  • amc697amc697 Member Posts: 9
    I recently had to have a new cable assembly installed for the right side rear passenger seat of my 2007 Avalon Limited, as the seat did not recline. The total cost was $410. I just now discovered that I have the same problem with the left side rear passenger seat.

The rear seat reclining feature for either seat has rarely been used; probably less than 15 times since I purchased the car (as a new car).

I am interested in finding out if this is a common problem or unique to my Avalon and if any one has had experience with Toyota covering a repair of this type after the warranty period.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    How much of a leak are we talking about? If its small, I would just leave it and check the oil regularly. My 99 S10 that I use as a second car leaks a few drops from the rear main seal overnight. It never needs any oil between changes, so I just leave it the way it is.

If its leaking badly and must be repaired, try finding a local mechanic to do it. I could be a lot less than what the dealer is charging.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Depends, if the Avalon is in good condition, this is what "I" would do. First give Toyota the chance by contacting the area rep. If they blow you off & you have proof of a fix (good for you), then make the rep aware you are going to small claims court to sue as obviously the fix did not accomplish anything permanent. I am a letter writer, people in my area know me & know that. First to Toyota cares, make it known you are going public as in a letter to the editor about BAD treatment by your dealer & poor quality, I doubt they want any more local BAD publicity. If that doesn't work take your paper work to small claims AFTER you get a written estimate of the redundant work. Usually one has to pay for the work & then sue or you could go to a local guy as suggested, me I'd sue.
    chrstna446, the fact that Toyota covered a part that was out of warranty tells you something. They want to keep a customer happy and coming back. Call Toyota and see what the company will do for you. On another note even if you had to pay the $2,450 would you be able to spend that kind of money on any other car and still get ANOTHER 200.000 miles out of it. I have seen avalons with 300.000 miles on them and still driving them. It wouldn't hurt to go up the chain of command and see what Toyota will do for you. :)
  • chrstna446chrstna446 Member Posts: 5
    Thank you for your responses. The leak isn't a big one and it actually has been leaking since at least April, so for the time being just watching the levels is working.

Jlsexton, is that an area SALES rep or is there another type of area rep? I'm not familiar with the Toyota chains of command.

Dlovesb: I agree when they fixed the car the first time there was good will from the dealer and it was appreciated. From what I've found out, this seems to be a known problem and they did they right thing three years ago, but evidently the fix wasn't enough since I'm in the same prediciment.

Looks like I can try to fight for something, but I really don't want to go to small claims court. Like I said before I now have other transportation that I can depend on. And I hear what you are saying that I couldn't buy a car like this for the $2,540 if I knew this would work, but I don't NEED to buy another car and since the first time they fixed it didn't seem to work long term, will the $2,540 only buy me another 3 years? Perhaps it might be better to get what I can for it now?

I think I will try to contact Toyota to see if there is anything they are willing to do for me first and see where this takes me . . .
  • gohawaiiangohawaiian Member Posts: 84
    Here's a do-it-yourself tip that previous posts about how to change the cabin air filter haven't mentioned: the little "piston" or shock absorber, which allows the door of the glove compartment to descend slowly rather than dropping open precipitously, MIGHT fall out of its housing when you unscrew it and press in the sides of the glove compartment to lower it so that you can access the cabin air filter (see other posts for those instructions). If that piston (a small round black piece of plastic about 2 inches long) falls out, when you are done replacing the cabin air filter and ready to put the screw back in place, reinsert the piston into its housing (a round slot of matching diameter to the right the glove compartment - the piston has 2 small black plastic loops, one at either end of the pistion: the bottom loop gets mounted where you removed the screw. The loop at the top end is harder to reattach: you will have to use your finger to find (by feel) the attachment point (inside the round housing for the piston) where the top loop will fit - you won't be able to see this, only feel it- once your finger finds it, the loop will snap right into place there. With the piston attached at both ends (top & bottom), it will now work properly to lower the glove compartment door slowly. Worst case scenario: if you don't snap the top loop on the piston back into place properly, you can still open & close the glove compartment door, but it will drop down hard, rather than opening slowly/gently. It took me about 5 minutes fiddling with it till I figured this out and my finger found the mount for the top loop on the piston. It's not TOO hard if you're patient. Good luck!
  • gladiator99gladiator99 Member Posts: 104
    Yes! I had the same problem with the steering box. Toyota replaced it a few years ago after a recall notice, then about a year later, the steering was making a creaking noise while turning. As I only drive this car in the summer it does not have that many miles on it. After taking it back to Toyota, they told me that the box needed lurication and for somewhere between $100.00 and $600.00 they could fix it. I called Toyota head office in Canada and they told me to see my dealer.!!
    It is now a year later and it still makes a noise and I think what happened is when they replaced the steering box, the mechanic spilled most of the lube on my car carpets. Toyota didn't want to admit that it was a problem so I will just drive like this until the next service and take it to a different dealer to have it checked out.
    I am disappointed With Toyota and my next car will not be a Toyota.
    Cheers,
    JB
  • okie34okie34 Member Posts: 5
    Some of you may already know about this, but I thought that I would pass it along anyway. We purchased an early 05 Avalon, new. From the beginning the operation of the transmission was never smooth, and when trying to accelerate from an almost stopped condition sometimes the transmission could not select the proper gear. Sometimes when trying to speed up with the flow of traffic, it would drop down a gear and accelerate too quickly. That was a dangerous thing in congested traffic.

Up-shifts were rarely smooth. I kept complaining to the dealer, and to Toyota in California. The answers were always the same "your transmission is working normally and there are no updates for it."

Well about two weeks ago I found out by accident that in 2007 Toyota came out with a TSB to correct the problem. It is TSB EG033-07. I had it performed on my car last week and you can not believe the difference it made.

It is free if the car has less than 80,000 miles and is under 96 months old. Mine was well within those limits. It is a fairly involved process that requires the replacement of both exhaust manifolds, several sensors, a vacuum switching valve, and a reflash of the ecu to 2007 standards.

If any of you have a 2005 model that has not had this update and falls within these time and mileage limits, you really should have it done. Mine drives like a brand new car. The transmission is so smoooooth now.

A TSB is not a recall. They are not going to come looking for you. It is one of those things that basically says "If they complain, fix it, otherwise keep your mouth shut."

Hope this helps someone --- have a good day.
    And that is WHY if you have a problem, SCREAM about it, one never knows. If Toyota was really all about quality as they profess, they would make this public to their customers. Once again, NEVER purchase the first year of a major change. I had to call about the acceleration problem to have them re-flash the chip, even though I hadn't had a problem and I let corporate know that.
    I did try to get them to correct the problem for the first two years, then just gave up and lived with it. That was in 05 and 06. The TSB didn't come out until June of 07.

Early on I had another TSB performed to replace the steering shaft because it made noise. It took them a while to get the part so Toyota Customer Service in California gave me a $300.00 credit that I could spend on whatever I wanted at any Toyota Dealer. Between my Avalon and Prius I managed to spend $295.00 of it. Good for Toyota on that one.

I did get recall notices on the VVT oil line replacement and the floor mat / accellerator pedal / reflash items, and had both of them done. Again Toyota was very good and loaned me cars each time.

Can't complain much about that. I just made the post about the TSB hoping that it might help someone who has the same problem and had not heard about the fix.
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Member Posts: 231
    edited September 2010
    Finding the correct Toyota "fix" for a particular vehicle problem is almost like a game of hide and seek with Toyota.
    The VVTi oil line replacement only came out after a couple of model years of catastropic line failures (loss of all engine oil) that were simply not addressed. The irony of this recall is that Toyota is still replacing the original rubber line with another rubber line (the accountants won, I'm sure), when all Avalons since mid 2008 have metal lines from the factory. Toyota has an exact fix, replacement metal line in their parts system that could be installed. Some V6 vehicles, notably Lexus and RAV4s, had the OE metal line as early as 2005.
    I have a 2007 Avalon with a dealer installed metal line, the TSB reprogram for '07 transmissions, and a complete new pedal assembly. I think it is a very nice automobile with lots of room and great gas milege!
    Interesting about the rubber oil line. I need to check mine to see what was put on it during the recall fix. Is it visible after the big silver cover is removed from the top of the engine?
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Member Posts: 231
    It is not necessary to remove the engine cover. Raise the hood and look at the left rear side of the engine right next to the shock tower, there will be a 3/8" metal line and fitting connected to the end of the rear cylinder head. This line turns straight down for about 6" and goes behind a black plastic shield on it's way to the bottom of the engine. If you can see any rubber hose before the line goes behind the shield, you have the "rubber" line replacement.

For a look at the all metal line, just check any 2009 or later Avalon.

For the bizarre "it's not a problem" history of failures leading to this recall, Google toyotav6oillinescandal.
    Thanks, I'll take a look at it.