Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

1281282283284285287»

Comments

• merv2merv2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Avalon Limited. It has an alarm that sounds if there are obstacles when I am backing up. Recently it has occasionally begun alarming when I begin backing up even tho there is no obstacles behind me. The alarm will stop when I begin moving forward. This faulty alarming occurs about 25% of the time. What could be causing this and how can it be remedied? Thank you-Merv2
  • merv2merv2 Member Posts: 2
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    This must be aftermarket (or dealer added) as it was not available on the 2006 Avalon from the factory. The usual cause for this is a dirty sensor. Have you checked that?

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• finfin Member Posts: 594
    Just wanted to take a minute to say "thanks" to Edmunds.com and all members who have posted how to replace this filter and save about 40 bucks. I just did it again on my '07 Limited, took about 30 minutes, no problems. The old filter was not that dirty as we never drive on dirt roads, park outside under trees, spend hours at idle in the city, etc., but it was time. Thanks again to everyone...... :)
  • richa555richa555 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2006 Avalon Limited. I have the factory VIP remote starter. It has worked perfectly since 2006, but now when I go to remote start it, it goes through the same routine, and when the lights flash the final time before it starts....nothing, it's doesn't attempt to turn over the car.

The fob is fine and both fobs do the same thing. I can't even find the remote starter under the dash, so I'm guessing it's integrated into the car somewhere, unlike the aftermarket ones.

Has anyone had this happen, and if so, what was the problem?

The only thing I can think may have caused it, is that I had to get a jump start recently. Could this have done something? Everything else is working fine.
  • jlsextonjlsexton Member Posts: 302
    I have HATED this thing from day one, stupid to shut off as you try to open the door, without it would shut down anyway if someone tried to steal it without the fob. No idea, mine now does the same thing & I never use it, a $500 waste of money in my opinion NEVER AGAIN, will get one installed for less tha $200 & it actually works. Another Toyota better idea ??????????????? let me know if you find out.
  • highroller2highroller2 Member Posts: 16
    05 Touring. Headlight lenses clouded and yellow. tried cleaning with two different products. Lasted about two weeks. Would like to replace the assemblies. Does anyone know how to do this? Did this on my Grand Cherokee in about 20 minutes
  • avorunneravorunner Member Posts: 1
    My 07 Avalon XLS is a pretty good car. I took it to the Toyota dealership for maintenance to replace one part which resulted in them removing the drive axle. The part that was suppose to be replaced was taking more than the time the service manager stated during the initial conversation. I went to see what was taking them so long and the service manager informed me that the technician who was working on the vehicle broke the drive axle during removal because it was rusted/fused on. He also informed me that the technician working on the vehicle was not his most experience tech. Therefore, he place a more certified ASE tech to finish the repairs as stated by the the service manager. Needless to say I had to pay for a drive-axle but not the labor. But after this particular repair, the engine started making a intermittent rattling noise during start-up. After about 30 days, the noise appear every morning during start-up. I called the service manager and explained to him what the noise was and he informed me to bring the vehicle in. They apparently attempt to start the vehicle a 100 times before replicating the engine noise. The service manger informed me that it was the starter. I paid for the repair and was happy. The next morning after the repair, the vehicle made the same engine rattling noise. I was now disappointed in the repair work and diagnostics that Toyota have performed on the vehicle. I took the vehicle back to the service manager to get an explanation on why the engine rattling noise is still there. The service manger actual assume that I was making false accusations about the engine as we converse over the phone. Now a this point this service manager and the Toyota dealership crediability is on the line at this point. So he told me to bring the vehicle in once again. When I arrived at the Toyota dealership an saw the service manager approaching the vehicle, I shut off the car and started the vehicle as he was approaching car. At that moment he heard the engine rattling noise and ask a nearby technician did you hear that? So he took the car in for service to determine the problem. After 1 day, the service manager and the ASE certified Toyota tech both informed me that they could not identify the engine rattling noise and they couldn't replicate the fault during diagnostics. They inform me to continue to drive the car and if any other problems develop to bring it in. I though this was a bad response from a service manager and a even worst resonse from a ASE certified tech. Can someone provide any thoughts or advice on this issue. Thank You
    Contact the area representative for Toyota, explain or use this piece you wrote here. Document ALL the repairs you PAID for, this manager sounds like a jerk.
  • laneslanes Member Posts: 2
    In need of a pigtail/park lamp connector plug for 2007 avalon. I understand that these vehicles interchange on the socket and bulb, so the plug should work too, as long as it is a two wire. 98-200 lexus ls400, 01-06 lexus ls430, 05-10 avalon, and 04-10 sienna. I can not believe that I can not buy just a pigtail to wire into the harness to fix my park lamp. It was in a collision with a deer. I guess they want you to buy a whole harness. Anyone have any idea's? I thought maybe there was an aftermarket supplier to connecting plugs. Thanks!
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    Sounds like you should hit up a local junkyard. It will be dirt cheap and failry easy to harvest.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• laneslanes Member Posts: 2
    There isn't going to be any junkyards where I live with Avalon's and Lexus's sitting in them that they are willing to cut the end off of a good full wiring harness to make $5.00 lol I own a body shop, and I have never gotten them to cut up a harness to sell me a cheap part, unless the harness was trashed. I was looking for more like an aftermarket supplier of some kind, but thanks for the reply.
  • karamjeetkaramjeet Member Posts: 1
    My Avalon 2008 had the same issue - Am was fine but most of the FM stations were very noisy (static etc). Persued with the dealer very persistently and after they changed THE AMPLIFIER, a marginal improved in sound quality was observed, but it was the HARNESSES connecting Antenna to the receiver that had to be changed that completely resolved the issue. I have an excellent FM rexeption throughout regardless of station or situation (location).
  • chester19chester19 Member Posts: 1
    I have a set of Dunlap tires on my 2007 Avalon. After 20,000 miles I am hearing loud road noise.
    I am just wondering if it coud be the tires are could there be other issues? Please advise if you have experience this.
  • matt37075matt37075 Member Posts: 1
    When the A/C is on, the front vents will blow ice cold. But the rear vents facing the rear seats in the center console will only blow warm air. If I turn the air down to the lowest temp, the rear vents will blow air that's slightly cool but not nearly as frigid as the front vents.

Please help b/c I have an infant and keeping him cool is a top priority for me when I'm driving.
  • erikinmicherikinmich Member Posts: 2
    Recently purchased a Avalon that popped P2197 P0158 codes .. found info about a TSB T-SB-0114-08 that says to replace manifold, gasket and up/down stream O2 (FA) sensors. One alternative recommendation was to replace just the upstream sensor and check manifold and intake for leaks..
    Any thoughts on the alternative verses the TSB ?

And for a final "you have got to be kidding me" the revised sensors and manifold are not compatible with the original design so I am not confident that I would be getting the right part (org design) sensor from any online vendors without knowing the Toyota part number for said part and would be indebted to any help on that.

At first blush I was happy to be able to get a nice car with decent economy (for the size) but this generation seems to be just bad design. There are several issues with the transmission, VVT, and the current problem I am facing. I am kinda wishing I saved some money I got a low mile pre 05 model of which I see on auto-trader frequently listed with over 200,000 miles.

Thanks for the help, and the venting. :cry:
  • erikinmicherikinmich Member Posts: 2
    I would go to www.tirerack.com and select your car, the site has user recommendations and ratings that helped me pick tires for my Forrester and the tires where awesome. Take your tire pick to wherever you want to get them and see if they will price-match (saved me 60 bucks a tire). Good Luck
    Really wish I could help, I have a late 06, got it the end of June, I'm curious, how many miles are on yours. Mine just turned 38,000, 7 years old & NO problems yet.
  • doobredoobre Member Posts: 42
    well it could have been worse, I paid for the brand new 05, in 05, which had (and still has) the stupid transmission issues that the TSB you mention will address.. but here in Dubai the only dealer (Al Futtaim) do nothing about it, pretend that the fix does not work on the middle east models and ignore the problem, hoping people like me will go away.

I would never recommend an 05 Avalon, after 225,000Kms in the climate here the plastics are falling apart, changing colour and/or distorted, especially the dashboard surround and armrests.. my wife's 04 Corolla in the same climate is almost as good as new.

Plus loads of other annoyances with the 05 Avalon.. never again Toyota.

thanks for the vent also..

good luck to you..
    I found that leaving the gear lever in 5 instead of D helped a bit with the stupid transmission and its stupid gearshifts...
    cheers
    CD
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Member Posts: 231
    I have been getting replacement wiper blades for my 2007 Avalon from the my dealership because of the low profile design that does not seem to be available at local stores.
    The problem is that two blades now sell for $60 and change at the dealership. Where do I get quality blades at a reasonable price? I looked on the inet, but I am not sure about the quality I would get. Southern sun zaps the rubber pretty quickly.
    I purchased NEW ones also, they sucked as they were made in CHINA. I went to Advance Auto Parts, better wipers for about $20, NO wiper will last in constant Sunlight, simple fact. What do you think of the NEW (?) Avalon, I waited 7 years for a change and it is bitterly disappointing to me, as is the NEW Lexus. Looking at Audi's & Infinity's & whatever looks like a car with some front end protection, even the Passat is better for a lot less.
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Member Posts: 231
    Thanks for the reply. I agree that the new Avalon styling is terrible. From the front, it is the ugliest car on the road. The new Camry has the same basic styling (whalemouth), but it is much more pleasing to the eye. I love my 2007, but the new Avalon is a totally different car for a different (?) market.
    Good luck with the wipers, 2 years, mine work fine, the Chinese junk I bought at the dealer are in my garage, just in case.

They claim the NEW Avalon was aimed at a YOUNGER crowd, YEA, that worked out so well with their Scion brand, I hear they're considering dropping it.

After many years of this annoying behavour, I have finally been able to capture on video the wipers cancelling the cruise control. It shows the speedo jumping to ZERO that's 0 kmph very briefly, the ABS light coming ON, and the cruise light flashing at the moment I use the wash/wipe. and of course the car slowing down since the speed set by the cruise control has been cancelled.
    I wonder what B.S. the local "exclusive" dealer here in Dubai and Toyota will come up with now, in an attempt to downplay that this car is a lemon and always has been.
    Won't hold my breath for some common sense, customer respect and service.
    cheers
    CD

another TOYOTA software bug.?... never
    http://youtu.be/gXtKD982js8