Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• vette '67vette '67 Member Posts: 18
    AutoWeek has just posted a favorable review.

http://autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=101739
  • just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    You re so right about that. I felt the same way at first. I looked and first thought I was looking at a re made souped up Mercedes grill till I got a better look. Just like the hummer reeks of I MAN, MACHO MAN, I AM HERE, WANNA MAKE SOMETHING OF IT : ). Instinctively I knew this was a car not for me. However I'm sure it's a fine automobile since Mercedes has their hands on it. So when I drive I don't want to stand out from the crowd, and that's what this is all about. Some people want to wear a jacket with a P. Cardin or Calvin Klein label on it and when they take it off they fold it in a way so people can see the label and then their are people who buy the same thing without the label and save money on the purchase. It's what makes the world go around. So it's the same thing as thumping the chest when you make a bold style set to jump at you and a quiet look that isn't noticed but does as excellent a job of getting you to where you are going. So once again, different strokes for different folks and nothing to criticize.
  • johnijohni Member Posts: 43
    Per my internet request, Toyota mailed me information (hard copy) on the NAV system. I asked Toyota for this information since we could not get the NAV system to work during my test drive. I'll summarize the speech recognition commands here.

There are approx. 200 voice recognition commands controlling 126 actions in six different categories. Some of the commands are redundant; for example, there are two different commands to this action: "Calculates route to home." You can say, "Go home" or "Home". Similarly, some actions have four slightly different commands.

The categories are:

1. Map Operation - example: saying "Arrow Guide" changes guidance screen to arrow mode.

2. Destination - example: saying "One" calculates route to previous destination 1.

3. Guidance - example: saying "Repeat Guidance" repeats voice guidance.

4. Volume - example: saying "Louder" turns volume up 1 level.

5. POI (Points of Interest) - example: saying "Gas" displays gas pump icon on the map.

6. Audio - example: saying "CD" changes to CD changer mode.

Destinations cannot be entered via voice recognition. You enter destinations using the navigation controller (similar to TV remote)located behind the lower hideaway door. No touch screen. You can have 6 preset destinations (home plus 5 others) which can then be accessed via voice commands.

Since I have not used this NAV system, nor any other, I can't comment on how well it recognizes these voice commmands. Perhaps someone else now using it can comment on that.

My impression is that the system is complicated. I'd be worried about the distraction of driving while looking at the map and trying to figure out what commands to give. Obviously, you wouldn't want to be entering addresses with the controller while you're driving.

I'm still on the fence about getting NAV and would appreciate any comments from users of this new system.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    For anyone who has heard it, how good is the JBL Synthesis audio system in the Limited? How does it compare to the ELS system in the Acura TL or to the ML system in the Lexus?

Is the Avalon sufficiently quiet at highway speeds so as to be able to properly appreciate the sound system?

Thanks.
  • future1future1 Member Posts: 103
    I got a 2005 ES330 a few days ago, and while the NAV setup is somewhat different from the 2005 Avalon (touch screen instead of joystick), the voice activation is the same: press the microphone button on the steering wheel, speak the command, the system confirms the command and executes it.

"You can have 6 preset destinations (home plus 5 others) which can then be accessed via voice commands."

The ES 330 also understands the voice commands "Home" and "Go Home", but I don't think there is a way to assign a custom voice tag to the address. If that's what you mean, and if that capability is avalable in the Avalon, that's a major improvement. Are you sure you have it in the Avalon? That is, can you enter the address which you can later recall by speaking "Uncle Earnie"?

Additionally, the 6 preset destinations are just for quick access. The total number of destination points in memory is 106, I believe. I am sure it's at least as many in the Avalon.

"Since I have not used this NAV system, nor any other, I can't comment on how well it recognizes these voice commmands. Perhaps someone else now using it can comment on that."

It understands me well, even though I speak with the accent. The tips posted by the Nav users on the Web recommend that you speak normally -- don't try to pronounce the commands too clearly. Another thing is to give it a pause after pressing the microphone button -- the system takes a second or two to get ready to "listen".

"My impression is that the system is complicated. I'd be worried about the distraction of driving while looking at the map and trying to figure out what commands to give."

The system guides you by voice -- there is no need to look at the screen once you entered your destination. As you approach the exists, turns, and intersections, it will prompt you (giving you some time in advance).

"Obviously, you wouldn't want to be entering addresses with the controller while you're driving."

In the ES330, you can't enter a destination while you are driving -- you must be at a complete stop. I am sure it's the same in the Avalon.

Finally, the last note. It looks like the most enthusiastic Nav users are the Toyota Prius owners -- there is a number of discussions on the Web. Reportedly, the Prius owners are a younger bunch with the computer science and engineering degrees, more receiptive of the technology, compared to the Avalon owners who were already in their 60's when the first PCs came out in the 1980s. :-)

Seriously, I see no reason not to have the NAV in the motor vehicle, except that it's still pricey. When the price drops below $500, it'll be as common as the air conditioner.
    Here is your answer, click on this link.

http://autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=101739
  • fndlyfmrflyrfndlyfmrflyr Member Posts: 668
    Thanks for the Nav information. Sounds like it is a step behind the Acura system, but still good enough. I don't like not being able to change destinations unless stopped (why not let the passenger make the change?).
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Is the same as on the Camry, Landcruiser, Prius, and Lexus vehicles. It is probably the easiest to use of all the auto manufacturers out there. I'm not saying this just because I'm a Toyota person but because I have actually used it in real life. There's no need to look at the map once you input your destination as a female voice gives you all the directions. I tried to fool it to see what it would do and it's basically foolproof! I'll explain. I used the Nav in an XLE Camry. I put in my destination as Colonial Wiliamsburg in Virginia and headed out of the dealership's parking lot. It guided me all the way to I-64 when I decided to see if I could fool it. I took an exit towards Northhampton Blvd and immediately a bell or ring sounded "ding, ding, ding" then the voice came on to tell me I had taken a wrong exit then proceeded to guide me telling me to proceed to the next stoplight and make a u-turn then gave me the number of the next exit to get back on I-64. Of course I didn't go all the way to Williamsburg as my co-workers would have wondered where I was. I did this in 2003 with the Camry and have repeated the exercise with Prius and Landcruiser. Last night I had one of my previous Avalon customers come in to look at the new one and I went over the Limited with her and had a chance to play with the Nav. Nothing to it. After reading some of the posts last night I was wondering why someone would not buy this car due to the lack of Bluetooth and tire pressure sensor. Considering the average age for the previous generation Avalon owner is 65 I could see why these things were left out this year and they may be put in later in the model year or for 2006. A friend of mine was telling me about his 82 year old mother who came to visit from Ohio this week. He was trying to show her how to get on the internet and read the news online and she kept telling him not to bother that she wouldn't know how to. My point is that most Avalon customers are interested in safety, comfort, and convenience and not the latest toys. The Prius appeals to energy conservationists, technology oriented folks, and enviromentally conscious people who want to be the first in the block with the latest technology. I can bet money although I'm not much of a gambler that most Prius owners have Apple i-Pods, MP3 players, and such. I used to be in that category where I wanted the latest electronic gadget from Japan. Priorities and life styles change. Heck I didn't know what an MP3 was until by oldest son explained it to me. He's taken my place now, he's 25 and drives a Scion tC.

: )

Mackabee

P.S One thing they failed to mention at the training yesterday that no one picked up on was the Acoustic noise-reduction windshield that's standard on the Limited and not available on the other three.

The light gray may be out there now but no more are being ordered.

Mackabee
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    Don't forget tonight's member-to-member chat - it's open mic night, so come and discuss whatever's on your mind.

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Drop by for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• johnijohni Member Posts: 43
    Future1, as I read the information, you are correct when you write that "I don't think there is a way to assign a custom voice tag to the address". The system understands the commands "Preset Destination One" through "Preset Destination Five". I guess you have to remember what addresses you assigned to those destinations.
  • calriskcalrisk Member Posts: 10
    For those of you who are looking at the Avalon navigation system, I would like to mention that there are other options out there. I have a Garmin GPSmap 76CS I use for this purpose, and I find it does everything I could possibly want from a navagation system. I have RAM mounts for it in both my 1997 Avalon (soon to be replaced with the 2005) and Sienna. Advantages over a built in system are:

Price: it only costs $350

Versitility: I can use it in both vehicles (although not at the same time!) with the same set of waypoints, built in routes, etc. Also, I can take it with me for non-auto uses or on a plane to use with a rental vehicle. Will run off of 12V power or about 24 hours on 2 AA batteries.

Interface with home computer: You can use your home computer or laptop to preplan routes or look for points of interest. A computer with a 19 inch screen and a mouse are eaiser to use than any device in a car is going to be. The 76CS attaches via USB to the computer for 2 way communication.

My particular model lacks the voice prompts (it has a set of distinctive beeps instead) which doesn't bother me. Other models with similar features do have voice prompts.
  • barclay3barclay3 Member Posts: 90
    Thanks for all the info Mackabee. You are saying that there will be no more light gray interiors. Do you know or can you find out if there will be any new interior colors for 2005 or 2006. I would buy it except for the current interior colors.
  • prime timeprime time Member Posts: 40
    Is there a website that gives you a good view of the color choices? I've only seen a silver and thought it was kind of blah. Considering the Blizzard White with ivory interior or Phantom Gray with Dark Graphite interior. Anyone seen either of these?
  • littlejohn600littlejohn600 Member Posts: 80
    DROBERTS2:I received the following info from Toyota Hdq's in California::

"Here is the fuel recommendation for the 2005 Avalon: Unleaded gasoline, Octane Rating 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher. For improved vehicle performance, the use of premium unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating of 91 (Research Octane Number 96) or higher is recommended."

I believe that this is the same wording as used for the fuel requirements for older Avalons.
    "For those of you who are looking at the Avalon navigation system, I would like to mention that there are other options out there. I have a Garmin GPSmap 76CS I use for this purpose, and I find it does everything I could possibly want from a navagation system."

Right, I also considered a separate unit, but they do have disadvantages over the factory-installed Nav units:

-- much smaller screen sizes

-- no integration with the audio or climate control

-- no integration with the backup camera (this is not applicable to Avalon)

-- some have voice navigation, but I have not seen any with voice activation

-- may be hard to find the right place to mount without obstructing the view or introducing the rattles

-- no integration with the engine (my ES330 Nav checks for the mainenence schedule based on miles, must be the same for Avalon)

-- no sensory vehicle speed input (the factory installed units use it to keep track of the location if GPS signal is temporarily unavalable)

-- most units require programming (uploading the map data on the memory flash card)

The advatages are of course, lower initial cost and lower software upgrade cost and the ability to swap it between multiple cars. The modern top rated detached GPS sells for about $700. The factory installed unit in Avalon is $1,900, although it's packaged with other options (VSC, or JBL, depending on the grade and combo), which brings the price much higher.
  • famwaldfamwald Member Posts: 114
    <<One thing that I could not understand is this: "Limited's keyless ignition a mixed blessing; freedom from having keyfob at hand is offset by reality that car will remain running even without fob nearby." Does anyone understand what CG is talking about?>>

We bought a Lexus in late December (gave our '98 Avalon to our son...recent college grad whose '96 Explorer died) that has this same Smart Key feature and yes, I can exit the car with the key in my pocket, and the car will still run. I haven't tried to see how far I can walk away....I've only done it at the Recycling Bins.

I don't think "old people" (harumph!) will forget their car is running (Avalon or Lexus or any model) but quite frankly, I do not care for the Smart Key feature.

The Lexus owner's manual says we cannot store any of the keys near flourescent lights, TV's, etc., nor should the key be carried in the same pocket or purse with a cellphone. (radio waves interfering). Neither should the Valet Key be left in the car at all times due to their sending signals, searching for each other, and would cause batteries to run down, etc. etc. etc.

That means the Valet Key cannot stay in the car all the time and use of the Valet Key must be a pre-planned event. What a pain. Just MHO.
  • larryt22larryt22 Member Posts: 125
    I have seen both of these color combinations and they both look good. It just bugs me that Toyota charges $220 for Blizzard Pearl. White is not my favorite color but I thought it was classy looking. I have seen and XL, XLS and a Limited in this combination. I don't like the ivory interior on the XL. The cloth looks very cheap to me.

I have a Phantom Gray Camry, and I really like the Avalon in that color. I have seen a Limited in Phantom Gray with the Graphite interior and that would be my 1st choice, except I think I want a different color than my Camry.

A color that is growing on me is the Silver Pine Mica (Light Green). This is beautiful with the ivory interior.

Titanium is OK but just doesn't do much for this vehicle for some reason. It you like black, you will like an Avalon in black. Desert Sand is a little on the bland side. The light blue will probably grow on you after a while. I have only seen one Cassis Pearl vehicle and it had the ivory interior. I would like to see it with the graphite. I haven't seen an Avalon in Indigo, but I do like that color on other Toyotas.

Those are my opinions, but everyone has different tastes and you need to view them yourself. My advise if you are in no hurry to buy is just to keep checking the inventory at the dealers near you and go checkout the colors you want to see in person when they get one in. We bought a Camry and and Highlander last year and before we bought, we attended 2 auto shows and visited 7 dealerships on Sunday afternoons when they were closed looking at color combinations.

I have one dealer in my area that has put paint stripes on all of their new Avalons. The stripes start just behind the headlights and follow the top crease along the side and wrap completely around the trunk lid. If they are done in a contrasting color to the exterior paint, this really adds something to the looks.
    As far as I know just the colors that are on the brochure and www.toyota.com

The pearl white colors have always been extra charge. $220.00 is no big deal when we are talking about $30k cars. I've yet to see the Blizzard white but I'm sure is as nice as the Arctic white pearl and the Diamond white pearl.

Mackabee
  • georgevettegeorgevette Member Posts: 15
    Noted some *very* interesting numbers in comparing the $85,000 Mercedes S430 to the new Avalon:

Legroom front: MB 41.3" Avalon 41.3

Legroom rear: MB 40.3" Avalon 40.9

Shoulder room front: MB 59.2 Avalon 59.4

Shoulder room rear: MB 58.3 Avalon 58.2

Trunk capacity: MB 15.4 Avalon 14.4

Track: MB 62 Avalon 62.2/61.6

Cabin Capacity: MB 105 cu ft AVALON 106.9 CU FT

Horsepower: MB 275 Avalon 280

Fuel Economy: MB 18/26 Avalon 22/31

Hmmmm.... Both comperably equipped:

MB $85,000 Avalon $38,000.....
  • buyer777buyer777 Member Posts: 70
    I know that the Limited has Heated AND Ventilated seats...I see that the XLS has an option for Heated Seats...does that mean heated AND ventilated or is it just heated?

Thanks!
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    I have a 2004 Sienna in White Pearl with Ivory leather, and it looks very nice. There are too many gold cars out there. Almost too many silver. I agree that seeing colors in person is the only real way to decide; the cute little paint cans in the brochure are too small to get a real idea. I saw an Avalon with Mirage Blue metallic and ivory interior, and really liked it; the blue is darker than most light blues, but not so dark it shows dirt.

Pinstripes, IMO, don't usually make cars look better, in part because the ones dealers usually put on aren't as nice as the ones you're describing. Dealers put them on as a profit item, pure and simple, and only care that they're not so bad that buyers want them taken off. They don't wait until the sale and ask the customer if they want pinstripes, because most likely most customers would say no. So they put them on all their cars when they hit the lot, because it's easier and more profitable to deal with the few who protest and/or go elsewhere because of them. It's a cynical decision on their part, just like putting on dealer logos.
    Buyer777--per the Avalon brochure, the front seats in the XLS have heat as an option, but NOT ventilation.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    I didn't realize that you were sick until after reading all these posts!

I surely wish you the best with your recovery, because you were such a BIG HELP for me when I was looking at the Camrys back in 2002.

I can't think of a more informed salesperson in the world. Thanks for all that you do on these boards.

Even though I didn't buy the Camry, I am just grateful for ppl on these boards like you and Alpha...

Anyway, I wish you a speedy recovery and I know you will be fine.

On other topic.

I went out this evening and took a REALLY good and long look at the new Avalon.

This particular dealership had about three on the lot (Two XLS models and 1 XL) I gotta say that I was REALLY impressed with the XL for some reason. It looks really nice in person.

Now, my car, the Altima, is pretty big IMO, but this new Avalon is HUGE. Styling looks really really nice though.

I think if I didn't have my Altima, I'd be looking into a Touring model or perhaps an XLS model. I just hate the fact that you can't get heated seats on the Touring.

Either way, by the time I get my degree from Clemson (God willing), I'll be working for Toyota anyway...and I'll be able to scope one up.

I was really impressed with the interior materials and the overall design of the dashboard. As a big Nissan fan, I think Toyota has it all over Nissan as far as interior quality is concerned.

Even the basic XL model had a nice "silver" finished trim that was downright impressive.

So in a couple of years I'll be 22 and I'll be looking again...if the next Altima doesn't do it for me, the Avalon will definately be on my list.

Its a LOT of car for a good price IMO.
  • jbtwojbtwo Member Posts: 14
    Has anyone leased a new Avalon instead of buying. If you did, what kind of lease payments can we expect?
    Hi Mackabee. I agree with you on the Bluetooth and the tire pressure indicator, but some people get obsessed with something and can't let go because it's something they had before and would buy something lacking other things as long as they had these two. I suppose we can always find something to criticize and nit-pick if we want to. I myself looked at the Avalon and as a former owner of three of them, the 2004 that I recently sold, I looked at the 2005 and on a scale put down what they took away and gave back. They gave back so much more starting with a more powerful engine that alone could have increased the price by so much more but didn't. The carpeting on the back rear ledge being replaced by another smoother material making it so much easier for me to clean was mentioned as a criticism here, when I think personally it's much more refined this way. The only thing I didn't understand and maybe it's a criticism, is that the brochure from a marketing standpoint could have done so much more, yet they didn't point out things like the fact that the car is tighter and stronger etc. Being the flagship and former marketing sales executive I was disappointed in the brochure, but smarter heads prevail then mine and maybe they had a reason and will juice it up for 2006? I wonder if anything was mentioned about that Mac? Now that said, it certainly wasn't any reason for me not to buy the car which I did and am extremely happy with it. I feel I finally have a Lexus quality 430 but saved thousands, in fact could buy two Avalons for what the Lexus would have cost me, which in a way tells you how people will by a name plate for status. I always wondered about that when people by the 300 class Mercedes that has no oomph, but they have status so they think and people will look and say wow. I would rather look at my bank account and say wow, and know I am driving a much better car. Anyway thats how the world spins, all things for all people, and everyone happy doing it their way. I HOPE YOUR DAY IS AN EASY ONE MY FRIEND.
  • teereevesteereeves Member Posts: 69
    justme, I love your quotes:

...all things for all people, and everyone happy doing it their way.

I feel I finally have a Lexus quality 430 but saved thousands...

I'm the person who wouldn't buy the 2005 Avalon because of Bluetooth and TPMS feature is not offered. If those features were offered, I would also be able to say "I feel I finally have a Lexus quality 430...", because those features are offered on a Lexus LS430. Those features are my requirements for my next car, everyone has different requirements, and those are mines.

Hopefully those features will be offered on the 2006 version, those are additional safety features I would like to have.

Tee
    I understand how you feel and certainly the choice is yours. All I would say is if a name plate isn't important to you, then don't spend another 30 thousand for the Lexus for those two features that maybe you might in the after market for a lot less you might be able to get installed. Of course once again it's not for me or anyone to tell you what to do and you don't need any advice from me. You know what you want and what your needs are and I respect that and you. Good Luck.
  • vette '67vette '67 Member Posts: 18
    I'm thinking about holding-off an Avalon purchase until the 2006 model. In general, I like the new model, but, as others have commented, there's room for improvements and the correcting of some oversights. Does anyone know when the '06 will appear? What's Toyota's past record on improvements for a 'second' year production? Does Toyota listen to criticisms on their initial offerings? What sort of changes may one expect? Thanks for your thoughts.

• 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    It'd probably have a few cosmetic changes. Don't expect anything major considering the car is newly redesigned and that it just debuted in the 2nd quarter of the model year (compared to other '05 models that came on October '04).
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    From the article in post 1638 link, it already appears new thinking which could be seen even earlier than 2006. Below is a cut and paste from that link..

One decision for which Toyota should be spanked is its refusal to offer electronic stability control (which it calls Vehicle Stability Control or VSC) on all the models. Instead, it is only available on the two more expensive models, the XLS and Limited

During a media preview here, Toyota frankly didn't have a clear excuse for denying its less-wealthy owners that safety equipment, but the company suggested that the decision could change.
    I asked our district reps that same question on Tuesday at the training and I did not get a straight answer. I would guess that it will be offered later in the model year. If enough people complain and ask for it Toyota will listen. Look what happened with the current 4runner. When it first came out it hade the hideous gray overfenders and cladding on SR5's and Sport edition models. Only the limited came with the color keyed cladding and overfenders. Lots of prospective customers complained all the way to corporate and mid-year the color keyed started coming in on all models. Hint: start calling 1-800-GO-TOYOTA and complain about the lack of VSC and TRAC on the Touring and XL. More later tonight. I finally got to test drive an XLS this morning.
    Mackabee
    Hi Macabee. I ordered mud guards for my 05 Avalon, and they got in black ones. I said does that mean the mud guards won't be color keyed? The Sales Manager said he asked and that they will be color keyed they just haven't gotten them yet. So I will wait, they have to look nicer being color keyed. What I don't understand is the fact that they are offered as an option, why don't they prepare for this in advance so I could have had them already? I am assuming it's a supplier problem since I doubt Toyota manufactures them. I just wonder if you have any input on this.
    Below are so of the things I meant regarding having them pointed out in the brochure.

"Compared to the previous generation Avalon, new high performance halogen headlamps light the road with a longer and wider beam and are standard on XL and XLS grades. Touring and Limited grades feature high intensity discharge (HID) headlamps with dynamic auto leveling for improved visibility, while reducing glare for oncoming traffic."

"Safety
    The front seat-mounted side airbags have been redesigned to provide a greater coverage area, and the body structure has been strengthened to help meet the latest side impact standards."

"Toyota's first low-profile wiper blade was uniquely developed for the Avalon. The wiper blade's aerodynamic, low-profile and lower sectional height results in efficient wiping and reduced wind noise. The one-piece blade assembly contributes to the reduction of frozen blades."
  • tassotasso Member Posts: 33
    Love it. Great ride, quiet, smooth, 18 miles per gallon so far in town with 87 octace.

Power sunshade spectacular on the ride home from outreach last night. Heading east, it was great for the rear passenger on the one hour ride.

Interesting, no coin holder, doesn't matter to me, but interesting.

Positives, too many. Negative, smart key and approaching the car doesn't turn on interior or puddle lights very often, and when it does, your already at the handle. No coin holder.

It is great.

To each his or her own.
  • dmortholedmorthole Member Posts: 29
    Isn't Vehicle Stability Control and Traction Control just a software thing? It doesn't seem like it needs anything mechanical; already it has ABS and I read these control systems work through ABS. It can't be that hard to include it in the XL and TOURING, there is nothing mechanically different between the two lessor models and the two higher models, I think.
  • wuzfuzwuzfuz Member Posts: 12
    My wife and I are considering replacing our '96 Avalon with a third generation Limited. We'll probably go with Desert Sand Mica, the closest to our current gold Avalon. Have you any suggestions, recommendations regarding the options and accessories available in the Limited? What would you not do if buying your Avalon today?
  • tassotasso Member Posts: 33
    Not a thing I would do different. I have the black with tan interior, love it. I am awaiting the spoiler, but I am not sure I want it now. I like the lines. Nothing different at all. We do not have Laser cruise control nor nav. My previoius Denali had Nav, around here in South Dakota not necessary. And I know Minneapolis and Omaha well enough not to need it.

Laser cruise control, maybe. WAIT I do know what I would have not done: NOT been tied into purchasing the Preferred Accessory Package, not worth $499, not even close.
  • dshimkatdshimkat Member Posts: 54
    I purchased a Desert Sand Mica w/Ivory interior Limited one week ago today. The only options that came on mine were the VSC/Traction Control/Brake Assist and Carpeted Floor & Trunk Mats. I also added XM Satellite Radio, installed by the dealer. I previously had XM Radio on a 2002 Chevy Tahoe and loved it. My Limited did not have the Nav or Dynamic Laser Cruise Control. I have never had Nav nor the Laser Cruise Control on any of my previous vehicles, so have no reason to miss it.

Bottom line, I am very happy with the options on mine and would change nothing.
  • fd1000fd1000 Member Posts: 47
    I do know that Vehicle Stability Control requires an electronic gyroscope to work. In cars I have had in the past, I read it was somewhere under the backseats.

As for the Traction Control, unless someone else knows otherwise, I think that system is mostly software. All it's doing is sensing the wheels rotation, and plays with the ABS system to make the wheels slow down.

However, I am a giant advocate of VSC. Both our cars have it, and I will not allow my wife to drive a car without it. (Not that she listens to me :) I personally was almost killed in a car accident that would not have happened if the car had VSC. I wasn't hurt, but the car was totaled, and we missed a tree by about 10 feet (sliding off the road at about 75mph, and no I was not driving, my dummy friend was driving, and it was MY CAR!)

Please, please, please, dont skip the VSC. If you simply can't afford it, then I guess there isn't much you can do, but if you can, get it! VSC is not a toy, it is something that could very well save your life!

Nobody wants to slide down the highway sideways at 75 mph, take my word for it! :)
  • wuzfuzwuzfuz Member Posts: 12
    This Preferred Accessory Package for $499, is it a dealer-installed option? I haven't found it in the Toyota.com website as either an option or accessory. Thank you and the other owner of a new Avalon Limited for your candid responses.
    The Preferred Accessory Package is code Z1, MSRP listed is $463. You can see it under Options if you go to the New Car TMV section of Edmunds, under Avalon. It includes floor and trunk mats, glass breakage sensor, emergency response kit (jumper cables, flashlight, etc.) and first aid kit. I think it is added by the distributor, but dealers can delete it if they want. All components are available separately. The package is a little cheaper, but only compared to MSRP. I don't think anyone really needs the glass breakage sensor, and the first aid/emergency response kits are much cheaper at any auto parts store.
    do I understand correctly that the dealer can remove the Preferred Accessories Package on a car? Thanks
    and can the dealer install door guard moldings?
    Waiting to hear about your test drive, thanks.
    That is correct prime time. Test drive impressions coming up later today justme, I was pretty beat yesterday, Had appointment with oncology, had blood drawn. Not anemic at this time, thank God. Mid-way point through my treatment and so far everything looks good with the exception of a pain in my back around my right shoulder blade that won't go away. Having MRI scheduled later this month.
    Mackabee
    p.s I was watching the Grammys on Sunday as I'm an avid music fan and sometimes drummer. There was a song by Tim McGrath I believe that's his name. It's a country music song which I like but I'm more of the old fashioned rock and roll and R&B music, this song caught my ear and the lyrics just gave me more encouragement and inspiration to beat this disease. The song is called "Live your life like you're dying"
  • jbw1jbw1 Member Posts: 2
    just picked up an xls in phantom grey last night.I had a 2001 i swore i'd keep for 10 years but these lines are really special. as much as i liked the 01, this is better in every way...except why no controls for the garage doors on the visors?
  • mcardlemcardle Member Posts: 36
    That's a very inspirational song, regardless of your personal situation. I'm sure you have an even deeper appreciation for the lyrics than most.

http://www.timmcgraw.com/discog/?view=song&id=102
    My wife and I were along for Mackabee's first test drive in the Avalon (XLS), and he seemed to find the accelerator pedal much to his liking.:-)
    I don't think the Avalon is meant to be competition with any Lexus, although I think the Avalon is a better value than the ES330; certainly anything with a Lexus logo on it would cost more for essentially the same thing, particularly maintenance.
    Anything taken away compared to the 2004 is more than offset by what was added, while essentially holding the price stable: 70 more HP, several improvements in the engine and AC, more and better air bags, laser cruise, daytime running lights, etc. Missing as compared to the Sienna are parking assistance and backup camera, which are needed on a minivan but not really on a sedan, particularly with good visibility like the Avalon
    Compared to my 1995 Maxima SE, the ride is very comfortable, and very quiet. This was an XLS, so can only imagine that the special windshield in the Limited will make it even more quiet. Steering is very quick with good feel. Acceleration is quick without any "lag" or "hesitation" beyond what I would describe as normal "kickdown" when you tromp on it; I would expect even that to minimize as the transmission learns the individual driver's habits. Unlike some of my fellow 6'1" posters, I had plenty of headroom, front and rear. The rear seats recline at least 3". I found the front seats both comfortable and supportive. The famous doors over the radio and cassette (or Nav controller if opted) are definitely plastic, but oh well; they're not cheap looking and open with a measured pace after pushing the button, and close securely. I think Avalon beats the heck out of its true targets (Chrysler, Buick, Ford, Maxima). I never understood the logic in buying an ES330 anyway; either spend the extra money to by an LS430 or GS430, or go with Avalon or its competitors.
    It may seem strange to use the words "integrity", "trustworthy", and "car salesman" in the same sentence, but when speaking of Mackabee, they apply. He and I now have my Mirage Blue Limited with Ivory interior in the pipeline, leaving MSRP in the rearview mirrow :-).
    "I never understood the logic in buying an ES330 anyway; either spend the extra money to by an LS430 or GS430, or go with Avalon or its competitors."

Well, there are a few reasons to buy ES330 over the Avalon:

-- Price. I paid $34,900 for the new '05 ES330, which includes Nav, stability control, heated & ventilated memory seats & mirrors, and HID headlights, among other things. To get the same equipment in the Avalon, I would need to go up to the Limited and pay about $37,000, at the current demand & supply conditions. That's $2100 more, and if you consider that ES330 has longer warranty, the net effect is that a comparably equipped Avalon costs $2500 more than ES330.

-- ES330 has a better interior and fit & finish, in my opinion.

-- The 05 Avalon seemed sportier and noiser to me, compared to the ES330, which has a vault-like driving quality. Some people prefer the extra power and the "feel of the road", but I admire the ES330 remarkable quietness and the ability to take bumps gracefully.

-- I found touch-screen navigation easier to use, compared to the joystick in Avalon

-- I was very unimpressed by the Avalon's dimensions: they seemed disproportioned to me. Along with the loss of the visual apeal, there are also practical implications. For example, I really don't care how comfortable my rear passengers are with all that extra leg space and flat floor in the back. To me, it's just a waste of my driver space and the trunk space, especially considering that I almost never have passengers in the rear.

-- It's the first year model for the redesigned Avalon: the associated risk, however small, was a consideration for me.

Despite the differences, I would actually call both ES330 and Avalon very comparable. If I were to make my decision a year or two later (when the Avalon prices hopefully drop and the shortcomings of the current model are addressed), I would probably go with the Avalon. As things are right now, however, I find the ES330 to be a better value in respect to what I am looking for in my vehicle.

As to the LS430 that you mention as an alternative, I am not sure why it's on the same list with the ES330 and the Avalon: that's another $20,000.
    "I really don't care how comfortable my rear passengers are with all that extra leg space and flat floor in the back. To me, it's just a waste of my driver space and the trunk space, especially considering that I almost never have passengers in the rear."

If you rarely have or actually don't care about the comfort of rear seat passengers, then I agree an Avalon isn't the best car for you. Most of us do care about the rear seat, and there aren't many that pass muster. For example, if all you care about is the front seat, the Acura TL is a very nice car, but you need a shoe horn to get in the back seat.

I think with a little shopping the price difference between your ES330 and a fully maxed Avalon with Nav/Stability Control/Laser Cruise Control will be at least $1000 less than the $2500 you mentioned. At the same time, other Lexus costs are higher: e.g., any routine maintenance. A 7yr/100K/0 deductible Platinum extended warranty for the Avalon can be had for about $1000, while the Lexus web site lists the same for the ES330 at $1825.
    I could address other areas, but to what purpose? Bottom line, if it makes you happy, you made the right choice.