Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• unprejudicedunprejudiced Member Posts: 7
    Test drove an XLS today at Middletown Toyota in Connecticut. Test drove an Acura TL earlier in the day. Plan to test drive an ES330 some other time.

The dealer has two: a Touring and this XLS without Navigation. My impression:

(1) very big inside, cavernous is the word, plenty of room everywhere except that the head room at the back is about the same as a Camry or a TL, feels like only just enough for me at 6.0.

(2) powerful engine, good pick up, better low end torque than TL.

(3) quiet ride, clearly quieter than TL at highway speed.

(4) light grey and dark wood not as good looking as the inside of the TL, the leather on the steering wheel and the shifter knob looks cheap, the big sivery flat plastic areas around the shifter and on the front panel look cheap.

(5) brake is ok, but seems not as powerful as TL's.

(6) there is definitely about a second's throttle hesitation: stepping on throttle hard and nothing happens for about a seond before the engine roars into life.

(7) ride is civilized and yet handling is good.

Summary: I like this Avalon a bit better than the TL; the TL's road noise at highway speed is intolerable. I will wait to see how the ES330 performs.
  • vinster29vinster29 Member Posts: 23
    So the Avalon comes with only 2 types of wood trim the blond wood and the dark wood.

So is the Dark Charcoal interior in the Touring the same color as the Graphite interior in the Limited?

Has anyone seen the 18" Enkei that Toyota is offering for the Avalon. Any comments on these rims would be appreciated. Thanks
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    It seems so. The ivory interior gets the blond wood, the gray can have either the blond or the dark wood, while the graphite comes with the dark wood. Funny the brochure doesn't show / mention anything about wood.

The dark charcoal, which is almost ebony black, is exclusive to the touring; graphite is more like dark gray. If you check Edmunds first-drive article it has a couple of pics on the right.

Note to host: I tried posting the link to that article but it ends up distorted at the end. Please advice.
  • hawk1eyehawk1eye Member Posts: 61
    dshimkat,
    Thank you so very much for replying to my question on the XM. I was glad that I can get a fully integrated system, unlike the add on that I have in my cadillac that I now have. I'm totally into the XM for news, stocks, and all kinds of music and special events. I honestly don't miss the $10 a month. I think it is the best return that you can get for $10 today. I was also glad to hear that you did not find any throttle hesitation on your limited. That would bother me a bit since I put on about 30,000 a year. Thank you for the pictures you posted. I really like your car and I'm glad that your are pleased with it so far. Do you have the NAV system? I'm not sure that it would really be anything I need other than a toy to play with from time to time. Thanks. Hawkeye
  • wuzfuzwuzfuz Member Posts: 12
    Brilliant! You are correct.
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    Some good pics of the new Avalon (click on "photo gallery"):

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=101739
  • just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    Your link above doesn't get you there. Here is the way to it. Nice story and lots of pictures, thanks. I did see the magazine but the pictures give you all the colors. Very nice.
    Click on http://www.autoweek.com/
    Then in seach, type in Toyota 2005 Avalon. When the page comes up click on 2005 Toyota Avalon..
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    I bought the Indigo Ink, a beautiful dark blue, on the 10th from Younger Toyota in Hagerstown, Md. for 500 under MSRP. I got at that price because Fitzgerald (fitzmall.com)had it discounted about 320 dollars. Most of the DC area dealers are still saying MSRP, especially on the LTD. Carmax is now about 500 below and Fitzgerald is now running the 3 lesser models at 2,000 over list.

Looking at dealer websites they aren't moving these cars very fast in the DC area.

I'm 47 and this is my 2nd Avalon. I was 39 with my first one.

MikeS.
    As part of my purchase deal I ordered remote start for an additional $300, including installation. I got it installed on the 18th back at the dealer. It took them just over 3 hours to do. It is a nice unit that utilizes the original fob. Works upto about 150' away.
    Does anyone know if Toyota is or will be offering a Gold Package on the new Avalons? The wife and I think that gold lettering on the Indigo Ink would be very sharp. Really, I just wanna Pimp-My-Ride!
  • dshimkatdshimkat Member Posts: 54
    hawk1eye,

You're welcome. I too love the XM radio and have it on most of the time I am in the car.

>> "Do you have the NAV system? I'm not sure that it would really be anything I need other than a toy to play with from time to time."

No, I do not have either the NAV or the Laser Cruise Control. I have never had NAV on any of my previous cars and, like you, don't think it would be something I would really need or use very much.

My previous 2001 Avalon XLS was Desert Sand Mica and I liked that color very much. It didn't show dirt, and I never tired of it after 4 years of ownership. So... I purchased the same color again!

Good luck in your purchase decision.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I had to remove some messages due to copyright issues. We can't copy and paste articles from other sources. Just as Edmunds.com copyrights its content, so do other sites - that means the content may not be reproduced without permission (and certainly not without attribution).

Responses to the pasted article were also removed since the article shouldn't have been here in the first place.

If anyone has questions, feel free to email me - otherwise, carry on!

Thanks.
  • georgevettegeorgevette Member Posts: 15
    Test drove the brand new (3 days old) 2006 Lexus GS300 and Avalon Limited; same day.. The Lexus had the distinct advantage of all wheel drive stability and absolute beautiful execution. However, the differences were certainly not as dramatic as I would have thought. i.e. the Avalon was every bit as quiet and well mannered as the Lexus. The Avalon has 35 more horses and 400 pounds less weight to pull around. Yes, the Avalon was much more spirited than the GS Lexus.. The Lexus rear seat room is not nearly as roomy, nor do the rear seats recline..
    The steering wheel adjustments are power and in the memory circuit but the rear view mirrors do not have the external signal flashers...
    Rear window shade is identical to that of the Avalon, as are other components.
    Okay, the Lexus DOES have tire monitoring and rear view backup camera... For $13,000 more dollars, hey...
    Moreover I came walking away from the day thinking to myself that Toyota did one heck of a job with the new Avalon!! Comparing two seeming disparate priced vehicles would seem to be totally unfair..
    Not from my perspective, driving experience...
  • autoguy1autoguy1 Member Posts: 87
    I read Mackabee talking about the Turanzas found on the XLS he was testing? Something like that.

Is it a factory tire? The Turanzas are used on 17inchs on the Sienna and on the website devoted to the Sienna, there has been nothing but trash about this tire. I'd like some feedback about this tire. I personally don't like it a lot either. Poor traction and tire wear is bad.

I'm also wondering about the Limited's tires. Does anybody know what the type of Michelins are they? I might be interested in that one when my OEM Turanzas wear out.
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    I think Just Me has it right: if it works for you, that's great. Someone once commented that some people try to make sure the grass is greener on their side of the fence by setting fire to the grass on the other side. Some people promoting their preference in cars do so by going to extremes in denigrating other cars, even inventing new words when they cannot sink low enough using the dictionary (worst example was "vomitrocious."). Even people who agree on the same car can't agree on what the best color is. 90% of people drive around with dealer logos on their cars, a real burr under my personal saddle. The new Avalon is not a BMW, or an Audi, or a Ford. If you like it, fine. If you don't, agree to disagree, make your points constructively and civilly, and move on.
  • moon1969moon1969 Member Posts: 2
    Picked up my Limited, Phantom Gray, last Saturday. Michelin tires are Energy MXV 4 S8.

(My thanks for everyone's comments on board, very helpful - by the way, I'm 55.)
  • silva1silva1 Member Posts: 3
    I'm also interested to know what the 18" wheels look like and the cross width measurement and the size tires that they take.....
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Very well said pmcb48. You took the words right out of my mouth. I will never undestand folks like that. If you don't like the car, fine. Buy what you like and be happy, and let the people that like or love their Avalons be happy and move on! Stop raining on our parade.

: )
    Mackabee
    Quoting from the 1/10/2005 Toyota press release from the auto show in Detroit: "Michelin Energy MXV4 P215/55/R17 tires were designed exclusively for the Avalon Touring and Limited models for iimproved control, responsive steering, and sharpened handling." Energy MXV4 tires have been around for quite a while, so what if anything is new about the ones on the Touring/Limited may only be important to detail freaks like me :-) . I am also not thrilled with the Turanzas on my Sienna. Only 6000 miles, and already uneven wear on the front tires. Their successors will definitely be Michelin MXV4s.
    silva1, I believe the 18 in wheels are made by Enkei and not Toyota. These are usually available in the Southeast and Gulf state Toyota regions. If I'm not mistaken Southeast Toyota owns Enkei or has a big stake in the company. Anytime you increase the diameter of a wheel the tire profile decreases so now you have less sidewall and a stiffer ride. I've never been a big fan of Bridgestone tires either, they do tend to wear faster than other comparable brands and traction is not that great on wet roads. That's been my experience with them.
    Mackabee
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    I don't know the tire, but if you have uneven tire wear, that is more likely an alignment or inflation problem than a problem with the tire itself.
  • jayareyouingjayareyouing Member Posts: 7
    Have test-driven 2 XLS's. Both have a scrubbing noise when turning the steering wheel. Finally figured out that the noise is dependent upon how far in or out the steering wheel is telescoped. The noise sounds like it is coming from where the steering wheel turns on the steering column, like it is warped a bit. I really don't know how the amount of telescoping could be related, but it is. Has anyone else noticed this? If you don't use the telescope function, you will miss it.
  • jordan7jordan7 Member Posts: 77
    The MXV4 S8 tire is readily available from all tire suppliers and cost about the same as the MXV4. I also read that it was specially designed for the 05 Avalon LTD and Touring models but I purchased them about 8 months ago for my 98 Avalon XLS. I am quite satisfied with the ride and traction of the tires.
  • just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    I agree. You couldn't have said it any better, there isn't any reason to trash any other vehicle, and I notice the Avalon people here on this board for the most part aren't doing that. We all see things differently, such is life, who is right, everyone the way each individual sees it. You can only point out the facts, and the spec's etc. are part of that, and I think from some of the posts here we have enlightened and helped some people by giving them a clearer picture in helping them make their decisions. I gave two of my neighbors a ride in my New Avalon, they loved it and will be going to see my dealer in Ga. My Sales manager is no longer there, they won't tell me what happened, but they said it had nothing to do with me and the great price he gave me. This car is a keeper, I won't be trading it in for a long time. Have a great day.
  • perico1perico1 Member Posts: 32
    I am one happy camper today. Just ordered a Limited with nav, vsc and gold package...black with an ivory interior. Testdriving this car was a real pleasure. The Avalon was worth the wait. I also tested a TL and a ES330. The Avalon came out on top for my needs....I need the big back seat for passengers. I got a great deal down here in Sarasota...way below MSRP even though I will have to wait a few weeks for it to arrive. Might have been a little foolish to order black down here but I really like the look of black with the gold.
  • barclay3barclay3 Member Posts: 90
    Could you give us an idea of how much below MSRP. Has anyone seen the red avalon yet??
  • libertygjhlibertygjh Member Posts: 2
    Hello

Which dealer in IL discount at $2k

Thanks
  • libertygjhlibertygjh Member Posts: 2
    They mounted my XM antenna on the trunk lid, passenger side, which I am not happy with. They are repositioning it on Wednesday to the center rear of the trunk lid. Here is a picture of where it is currently installed:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/dshim/2.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/dshim/4.jpg
    ---

Thanks for the pics. At the chicago Auto show they displayed the same setup which was quite ugly. Did your dealer reposition and what affect, if any, did the antenna have on the trunk lid's finish
    I paid 34900 because of the extras. I have not seen a red one...only silver, graphite and white. Based on the online pricing guide, I paid about 3000 below msrp.
    Thanks... that's the best deal I have heard yet about $1000 above invoice. Has anyone done better? By the way, what area of the country are you in (which dealer?)
    Is a wine red color. Very nice on the new Avalon. Someone posted a link to an e-bay auction that showed that color. Some dealer in Pa. I doubt they still have the car, buy you may try searching e-bay for it. Lots of pics taken during the day in plain sunshine.
    Mackabee
  • thor1thor1 Member Posts: 4
    I live in SE. Local dealers (4) all want this $699 markup of questionable value as option package. Any luck out there getting them to negotiate this obvious rip-off? !!!
  • dshimkatdshimkat Member Posts: 54
    "At the chicago Auto show they displayed the same setup which was quite ugly. Did your dealer reposition and what affect, if any, did the antenna have on the trunk lid's finish"

libertygjh,

Please reference my earlier post #1707 which includes links to pictures of the XM Antenna before and after relocation from the passenger side of the trunk lid to the center rear of the trunk lid. The XM antenna was only on the passenger side for about one week before being relocated by the dealer at my request. It left no mark what so ever on the trunk lid. It is attached by a magnet and some double sided tape. The reception is just as good in the new location as it was from the original location. I can't understand why Toyota would recommend it be installed in such an awkward location (passenger side).
    Thank you... It sounds similar in color to my 95 red avalon which is close to the color of cranberry sauce. Would you say this is correct? Go Jeff Gordon.
  • cusafrcusafr Member Posts: 184
    Just looked at one today at our local dealership. A drive-by type look because they are not open, but they did have the red one and a Tan/Gold one. Both very nice in my opinion. My wife did point out how the dirt was showing on the Red, but you could hardly see it on the Tan. Of course, I like the Red one better...

Jim
    Sarasota Florida
  • hawk1eyehawk1eye Member Posts: 61
    Perico1
    I'm glad to hear that you like your color combo. I'm planning to order a black limited with the gold trim also. Could you tell me if the trim on the inside is the light or dark choice? I would appreciate hearing back from you. Congrats on your car. You seem very happy. I hope I can put one together that makes my feel like you have described. Thanks, again. Hawkeye
  • silva1silva1 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, mackabee.......I just test drove the Limited fully loaded about 30 minutes ago and the ride reminds me of my GS300 that I traded in. The looks are really nice, they had a red, it takes some getting use to the nav system, even the salesman was not sure how to operate it. I'm so impressed by this car, I will be getting one, sorry Acura TL (nice car but too tight and I'm not exactly a small guy). I'm 6'2", 245 and this car fits me perfect, the power was great and there was no noticeable torque steer, slight hesitation, but not like the GS300 had. Never though I would be looking at a Avalon at my age (35) but this one is really growing on me. Great job so far Toyota.
  • smithmasasmithmasa Member Posts: 12
    Anyone out there who can tell me what they are getting for gas mileage in the city and on the highway using 87 octane regular gas?
  • mcardlemcardle Member Posts: 36
    Someone was asking about what a monthly lease payment would be. That's difficult to answer without stating some assumptions. (Warning, econ geek alert.)

Let's assume the following:
    - Limited trim
    - $35,000 final price
    - excellent credit rating, 4.7% APR
    - 36 month lease
    - 15,000 annual mileage allowance
    - no trade-in

The site is showing a $1,478 up front payment ($500 security deposit, $400 fee, $578 monthly payment), with a $578 recurring monthly charge.

If you change things...
    - Touring trim
    - $27,500 final price
    - Very good credit, 5.2% APR
    - 48 month lease
    - 12,000 annual mileage allowance

then you're looking at $1,148 up front and $373 a month thereafter.

Hope this helps.

http://www.toyotafinancial.com/estimator/tfs/pe_zip.jsp
  • tassotasso Member Posts: 33
    Right around 18.7mpg so far with 600 miles on this dream machine.

Love this car. The interior quality is superb, period. In response to the now deleted review, the door to dash space was no different than my Sienna,an accord I looked at a pontiac, a buick.

It is a great car.Sure there are a couple little things, such as I am not sure if or how to operate the trip odometer or trip timer. No coin holder.

I discovered why smart key is great - I had a 2 year old in one arm and a baby carrier in the other, it IS SO GREAT not to have to hunt for a key-LOVR it.
  • surfactantsurfactant Member Posts: 36
    I know this is a little off subject but tomorrow is a holiday and maybe i can get a good deal. what would a good price be on a 2004 avalon xls with bench seat and x-tras priced at 31,000 MRSP be. How long can they sell it as a "new" car when there are 2005's on the lot. please give me some feedback ty
  • prime timeprime time Member Posts: 40
    I'm looking at some dealer figures on an Avalon that I don't understand, maybe you can help. TDA - $713? Dealer Holdback - $670? Whls. Financial Charge - $335? What do these represent and are they negotiable?

You have been a HUGE resource for members of this board. Is there any way I can let Toyota know what a great job you have been doing to provide answers and info on the new Avalon?

My best to you in your upcoming treatment.
  • fd1000fd1000 Member Posts: 47
    I was at the dealership about 2 weeks ago, and the finance person printed me out a list of lease payments.

On a almost totally loaded 2005 Toyota Avalon Limited (the retail price was just north of 37k), here is what the payments looked like:

$37,200
    36 Month Lease
    12k Miles Per Year
    $1251.00 Total Out of Pocket
    $688.79 Per Month

$37,200
    48 Month lease
    12k Miles Per Year
    $1176.00 Total Out of Pocket
    $614.31 Per Month

A few things to keep in mind. These are real numbers. They include Minnesota sales tax in the monthly lease payment. The total out of pocket, is exactly that, you write them a check for that amount, they throw you the keys, you drive home.
    Those amounts by the way are essentially nothing but tax, title, license, all that crap. Just basics.

These payments can definitely be lowered. First thing to remember is that the payments are based on $37,200 (MSRP) for the car. I think anyone worth their salt can knock 2 grand off that number in negotiations. Additionally, I think the lease factor number will get a little better when the car gets out there, and different financial institutions start competing. They don't even know this car exists yet (banks and such).

My personal goal will be to lease a total loaded 2005 Toyota Avalon Limited, for $599.00 a month. That includes tax. I think with some heavy negotiation, to drop price 2k+, and with maybe a total of $2000-$2500 total out of pocket, it may be possible. I'm shooting for May, and maybe by then, there may be some incentives. Let the new car manager worry about it!
    TDA is Toyota Dealer Advertising. A dealer in MD explained (true or not, Mackabee?) that all dealers in the 5-state Mid-Atlantic region (PA, MD, WV, VA, and 1 more) pay 2.1% fee on top of invoice for national Toyota advertising; the per cent supposedly varies from region to region. When they were quoting me a price based on how much over invoice, that was included as a passed-through-to-customer dealer expense. Dealer Holdback and Wholesale Financial Reserve (not Charge) are money included in dealer's initial payment to distributor/factory, but both are ultimately returned to the dealer, so not a true cost, and can be disregarded in terms of negotiating the price. Mack can check me, but I think the above is correct. We're all in this together! :-)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I would suggest you simply negotiate your out-the-door price and don't worry about how the money is allocated - you don't really care what "fees" are involved, as long as you are happy with the OTD price, right?
  • autoguy1autoguy1 Member Posts: 87
    Does the dash display the gear you are in?
  • tassotasso Member Posts: 33
    yes the dash displays the gear in "manual" shift mode.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    On your comparison between the Lexus GS300 and the Avalon. I've driven the Lexus and have seen the Avalon. Granted, the two cars are closer than the price difference might suggest, and the Lexus price premium is hard to justify, especially since Lexus decided to use their 3.0L engine rather than the 3.5L used elsewhere. But while the Lexus interior is lush and gorgeous, the Avalon interior is functional, not particularly luxurious. The Lexus reputation and dealer service allows them to charge a premium price. The warranty on the Lexus is one-year and 14,000 miles longer (not that you'll probably need it with the Avalon). The GS handling is undoutedly sportier than the Avalon, a straight-ahead highway cruiser. That said, I agree with you that there is a strange imbalance between the price of the two vehicles. Maybe after all it's the Lexus prestige factor that is, in the words of the Mastercard ads, "priceless."