Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    There is more legroom in the Toyota 2005 Avalon than your 2001. Research Macabees posts on this of a couple or three days okay when I mentioned it felt like I have more room in my 05 XLS than I did in my 04 regardless of what the brochure said. It had something with how they measure the track from the center and the track is longer now. So trust me, go sit in one and you will be amazed how much more leg room there is now.
  • jkosugejkosuge Member Posts: 21
    Does anyone know a website that has posted some pictures of the interior of the XL models?
    I went to my local dealer but they didnt have any 05 with them.
  • analyticangelanalyticangel Member Posts: 83
    Where do you live and what model did you buy? Thanks
  • sjohnson11sjohnson11 Member Posts: 37
    Put Bluetooth and a TPMS as available equipment on the limited and I will buy it today, otherwise I will have to trade in my '02 Acura TL on a new RL.....you have 1 year to comply :)
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Tallguy,

Yes, you can get a touring model without a sunroof. As a matter of fact, I have actually seen one in my region already.

I would expect the touring model without the sunroof to be a rare bird though. Right now, I don't think many Avalons are even touring models, and the number without sunroofs would probably be that much smaller, but they exist.

I know exactly what you mean about height. My younger brother (who is ONLY 16) is 6 feet 4 and still growing and he can BARELY fit inside the driver's seat of my Altima. He is gonna need a car bigger than MINE! Mind you, I am only 5 feet 9, and I plenty of space, but when he drives, I like to sit on the passenger's side of the back seat ;)

Good luck finding the car of your choice. If I didn't have my Altima, I'd be seriously looking into a XLS or Touring model Avalon.

Maxamillion1
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    I am not familiar with the abbreviation TPMS, but there's an infomercial out there by the guy who does the Oxyfresh one, touting a device which clips on a cell phone and allows it to play calls through your car stereo. That's basically what Bluetooth does, yes? Can't remember the product name, but you could try the "As Seen on TV" website. Has to be much cheaper than the difference between a Limited and an RL. :-)
  • smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    Being 6'5" I'm glad to hear that the front legroom in the new Avalon is actually at least as generous as the old model, if not better. Why on earth would Toyota report a driver's legroom figure based on setting the seat midway back?? I believe it is standard practice to put the front seat at mid-travel when measuring REAR legroom, since the position of the front seat affects rear legroom, but it is ridiculous (and meaningless) to measure front legroom that way.
  • angeange Member Posts: 158
    I ordered an avalon limited 2005 for 2723 below msrp. it has everything on it except the navigation gaget. This was found on the internet and I still had to negotiate some more. this is near phila pa. ange
  • jimmyjjimmyj Member Posts: 4
    I just ordered a limited with every option avilable for $3,545.00 under MSRP total cost before Tax & Reg. was $35,500.00. I live in Washington State there are good deals out there but you have to do your home work and shop around.
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    TPMS stands for Tire Pressure Monitoring System.

Most of these "As Seen on TV" products are cheap knock-offs that won't live up to what they claim it to be!
  • rewoprewop Member Posts: 35
    Will one of the more Toyota-educated forum members explain how the dealer gets the car you order. I thought it came directly from the factory but it appears the dealer is trying to trade a car he ordered for one that meets my spec but is going to another dealer. He is very vague as to what he is actually doing, but is confident that he will have my car in the next 3 weeks. What is this process that the dealers have to find the car specified by the customer?
    This is a standard procedure called "dealer trade" that enables a dealer to get you the specified car in less time than ordering it from the factory.

First of all, dealers cannot just order any number of cars in any configurtion they like. The manufacturer assigns each dealer a number of cars each month, usually in the most common combinations. This assignments depends on many factors including the dealer's sales volume.

Let's say you go to dealer X and ask for an Avalon Limited in Black. He is not getting one in his next assignment, but he knows that dealer Y is getting a car similar to what you want. Dealer X contacts dealer Y and make an agreement with him that dealer Y would send the Black Avalon Limited to dealer X, and dealer X would send dealer Y another comparable Avalon. Dealer X and dealer Y usually split the profit as if they (together) sold you the car.

Usually you can get a better deal when the car is at the dealer's lot, rather than through a dealer's trade.
  • ronharvronharv Member Posts: 51
    I took a test drive in a new XL today and would like to know if my experience was representative. Unlike my 2003 Avalon, which is perfectly smooth when I accelerate from a standing stop, the '05 Avalon jerked slightly each time I initially gave it some gas. The pedal was stiffer than on my '03, so that might have something to do with it. (And I don't know if that's something that can be modified.) When I was very careful I could get a smooth start, but I also have a '99 Taurus with lots of pep and low-end torque and this Ford also jerks from a start (moreso than with the Avalon); I find it really annoying. Has anyone with an '05 Avalon also noticed this (whether it bothers you or not)? Or could it have more likely been behavior specific to the car I test drove? Thanks for your help.
  • barclay3barclay3 Member Posts: 90
    Ange...I wish I would have seen your post before I just order a limited for $1723 below MSRP with the only options of vehicle stability control stuff and floor mats. You got it for exactly $1000 less than me. Strange that it is exactly $1000 less. Where did you get it. I live in Southampton Pa just north of Philadelphia and bought it at Thompson Toyota in Doylestown. I tried Conicelli but they would barely budge. I did the internet shopping but only Thompson was willing to do anything over the internet. Everyone else wanted me to come in.
  • just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    Your dealing with a more powerful responsive engine than your 03. You will learn just the right amount of foot pressure to apply to avoid the jerky start. You just get used to it, just like anything else, and you won't have the jerky sensation anymore.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    You're almost correct but not quite 1violinist. First of all it's called an allocation and not an assignment. The first route is to see if there is a car like the customer wants in the local area that dealer A trades with. If there is than dealer A contacts dealer B and decide what dealer A will give back to dealer B. In this case it will have to be another Avalon as they are hot potatoes right now, otherwise dealer B can ask for a Sienna or another car that they may need or like for their inventory. They do not, I repeat do not split the profit (where did this come from?) on the contrary, if the car has to be driven from dealer A to dealer B and vice a versa, both drivers have to be paid. In the event that dealer B doesn't want anything back, dealer A buys the car outright from dealer B and dealer B keeps the holdback and dealer A gets no holdback. The best scenario is if the car is on allocation and in A status meaning it has yet to be built and dealer A also has a car in A status that both are willing to trade for, then the cars are re-directed at the port so that one goes to dealer A instead of dealer B and vice a versa. No two dealers can sell the same car to a customer. There is a thing known as a "Courtesy delivery" where a customer may purchase a vehicle in California and have the selling dealer arrange for pick up in Texas. The selling dealer would pay a couple of hundred dollars to the delivering dealer to have the vehicle cleaned up and have a salesperson go over the features with the customer.
    : )
    Mackabee
    Mackabee
  • douglas1douglas1 Member Posts: 130
    Jimmy, where in Washington State are you, I've tried most of the dealers around King County and not much movement off MSRP.
  • barrygelbarrygel Member Posts: 5
    Just picked up my new Limited from King Toyota in Deerfield Beach, Florida. Probably the best dealer I have ever done business with. Dealt with the internet person and everything she promised was delivered. Smooth as silk.
  • jimmyjjimmyj Member Posts: 4
    I live in Tacoma and it took a lot of time and walking away from several deals to find a dealer willing to except my offer.
  • mastromastro Member Posts: 39
    I've been narrowing a purchase decision and was considering a Camry V6 SE or XLE, along with an Avalon. I came across a number of posts on this site (not this forum) regarding a tranny and/or hesitation issue that impacts a number of Toyota and Lexus models with 5 speed automatics (see links below).

Due to this, I've ruled out the Camry for now. Have any new Avalon owners experienced any of this hesitation issue? Thanks.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04343/423383.stm

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04345/424551.stm
  • ederzawiecederzawiec Member Posts: 61
    You are so correct in pointing out it is tough for a tall person to find a comfortable sedan on the market today.

I don't want to start a lengthy comparison of features, quality, etc, but if you're interested in a roomy sedan for both driver and passengers, you ought to look at the Ford 500/Mercury Montego.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Yesterday I took my 99 Corolla to the dealer to have it's oil changed and tire rotated and balanced. I saw four 05 Avalons on the lot. Two Limited and two XLS. I dropped off my Corolla at 7:45 am and when I went to pick up my car at 10:00 am all four Avalons were gone !!! I asked one of the salesman what happened to the cars. He told me all four of them were sold within two hours after the dealership opened. Wow !!! seems like this car is in very high demand. He also told me people have been asking him about the new Avy since October and when they will be available.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I believe it, if the interest on this thread is indicative of anything. I certainly dont recall the FiveHundred/Montego generating this type of buzz. Or accolades for that matter, even though they are very good cars-with AWD (Toyota missed the boat on that one)- and HUGE trunks.

~alpha
  • vinster29vinster29 Member Posts: 23
    Barrygel,

How much below MSRP did you pay for your Avalon Limited? What color exterior/interior and options did you get for your new Avalon? Thanks
  • autoguy1autoguy1 Member Posts: 87
    The tranny was jerking? Does that mean that you press the pedal and it suddenly goes into gear and sends you flying? Some people might think that as hesitation...

When you initially pressed the pedal, was there a very short moment where nothing happens but then the gear engages and off you go? I categorize it hesitation. I can even make my Sienna hesitate by really gunning it.

Please tell me you didn't feel what I just described to you.
    Mackabee: thanks for the clarification. About the 2 dealers splitting the profit, when I bought my 01 Camry I was told by the dealer that if he had to get me a car from another dealer he wouldn't be able to give me the same discount because he had to pay the other dealer an "allowance" as part of the sale. The car I wanted was on his lot so we didn't need to do that; so I guess that piece of information was kind of a manuever by that dealer.
  • fd1000fd1000 Member Posts: 47
    Folks who have been talking about hesitation in the Avalon transmission, are you talking about throttle response?

The sportier the car, the quicker the response to you pressing the gas peddle.

You step on it in a Porche, and in .1 seconds you feel the push of the car taking off.

You step on it in an Avalon, or any other more normal type car, and you will experience maybe a .5 seconds wait before you hear the engine roar.

I don't really think this is what you folks are talking about, but if it is, I think it is normal.

Not to mention it seems that this subject has been TALKED TO DEATH.

After all, if so many people are trying to figure out if there is hesitation, or there isn't, do you really think it would be an issue that would actually stop you from buying the car? :)
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    Like I've said a few times before, I'm 6'5" and have no problems with height in my 05 Limited with moonroof.

I've driven mine for 2 weeks now and have tried several times to induce hesitation. I've felt none what so ever. You hit the gas and this car GOES! Very mild acceleration, no problems, moderate accel, no problems, hard accel, again no problems.

The spacing and the amount of power ports could be a problem. There is none in the back seats and none on the dash. There are 2, both in the center console. Not very friendly for the radar detector or the kid's dvd player.

MikeS.
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    I'm looking at adding 2 things to my Limited. The first is XM satellite radio. This is an option but I don't know if it is a dealer/port add-on or if it comes from the factory. The JBL stereo comes with a button marked SAT so I gotta figure that it is capable of of receiving the satellite signal. Is this something the stealer is gonna have to do or can a car audio places make this hook-up for me? At what should be a lower cost.

2nd thing is a DVD player, I've seen some systems that are made to replace the factory headrest with a custom unit that has an LCD screen and a player either integrated or attached. None for either the 04 or the 05 Avalons though.

Have any of you added something like this in other cars? How has it worked out?

Any idea if a headrest from a Camry would fit the Avalon?

Any suggestions here folks?

Thanks,

MikeS.
  • dshimkatdshimkat Member Posts: 54
    "Is this something the stealer is gonna have to do or can a car audio places make this hook-up for me? At what should be a lower cost."

mikes,

The XM Radio can be installed by the dealer and hooked into the existing JBL Synthesis Audio System already on your Limited. The receiver unit is placed in the trunk behind the lining on the passenger side, so there is nothing that is visible, except for a small black antenna, which goes on the outside of the trunk. If you buy it from the dealer the cost would be $449. I did not explore getting an aftermarket installation done, but you could probably get it done by one of your local stereo installers at a lower cost.

The JBL Synthesis system is designed to accept a seamless XM Radio add-on from the factory or from your local dealer. There are no additional controls that have to be added inside the car for the XM to work. Just push the AM/SAT button on the audio controls, or the mode button on your steering wheel controls to cycle to the XM. Similar to there being an FM1 and FM2 for presets, there is SAT1, SAT2, AND SAT3, so you can store a total 18 preset favorite XM stations.
    When the dealer initially did the install, before I took delivery, they placed the small black antenna on the passenger side of the trunk. They said that was the recommended placement by Toyota. I hated the non-symmetrical look and had them move it to the center rear of the trunk. Here are the before and after pictures:

Initial XM Antenna Dealer Install Location:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/dshim/2.jpg

XM Antenna Location after Relocation:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/dshim/6.jpg

I love the XM Radio and have it on almost all the time that I am in the car. The relocated antenna works just fine. So if you get it done by your dealer, or an aftermarket installer, make sure they place the antenna in the center of your trunk to provide symmetry to the look.

I don't have any experience with DVD. Hopefully, someone else can provide some info on that.
    That looks much better. But I wonder if they can colorize the XM antenna so it will blend in with the car's color. That way it won't stick out as much.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    You're welcome. Next time you go car shopping carry a BS penalty flag with you and as soon as they start spewing half-truths at you throw it at them.
    Mackabee
  • tallguytallguy Member Posts: 26
    Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the Ford 500 at the LA Auto Show. With the seat set back all the way it was a definite no go. Startingly, and absolutely insufficient. Having once owned a big Ford back in the '70s I was stunned how cramped I was. Although I am at the high end of the height curve I thought people are getting taller and the car manufacturers still crank 'em out for the average height folks. I do not understand the big deal if the seat tracks had another 2" of play in them. If the entire track was not required for the average or shorter than average person the worst you would have is a little extra track. Look around most cars, most of the time do not have folks in the back seat. I am not saying make it uncomfortable for the people in the back, just make it comfortable for the driver. Thank you for letting me rant! :)
    Mike,

Does the back of the console still have the 115V outlet? Also did Toyota ever bother to night light all the armrest switches? My 2001 XLS only one switch lights at all so I always fumble around. I had a low model end '97 Taurus that had everything lit, very unobtrusive, but very useful. Thanks
  • perico1perico1 Member Posts: 32
    Just found out my car arrives March 17...is that St. Patricks Day? The MSRP came out to just under $38,000 with options, paid $34,900. If I waited until late summer, I might have done better but I really want this car! Has anyone seen the gold package installed yet? Thanks
  • wuzfuzwuzfuz Member Posts: 12
    Dshimkat,
    Are there any cautions regarding running your new Avalon with the truck-mounted "XM" antenna through an automatic car wash (if you dare)? Will the antenna survive the "trip"?
  • rewoprewop Member Posts: 35
    Thanks to 1violinist and mackabee for answering the question on the above title line. I just hope I get the car I ordered. Can't wait!
  • dshimkatdshimkat Member Posts: 54
    "Are there any cautions regarding running your new Avalon with the truck-mounted "XM" antenna through an automatic car wash (if you dare)? Will the antenna survive the "trip"?"

wuzfuz,

I haven't run my new Avalon through the automatic car wash yet. I use a local outfit that has the long noodles that hang down and rub the car. I don't think they will move the antenna in any way, as it is attached with a very strong magnet and double sided tape. I have tried to pick it up from the trunk and was not able to do so. I will let everyone know once I run it through for the first time.
    One other thing to check. It appears the cable is going between the rubber seals of the trunk lid. While the cable may do ok, I wonder if any water will break through the seal it attempts to make around the cable into the trunk lip or trunk itself. Also, what would the longterm deterioration be to the seals? May be no problem at all. Of course what is the alternative drilling a hole through the trunk? :)
    I think the best solution would be a dispersity antenna that blends in with the windsheild. If it works for regular radio why wouldn't it work with XM ?
  • smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    I totally agree with tallguy's rant on the Ford 500. It is NOT comfortable for a really tall driver (I'm 6'5") due to restricted rearward seat travel. It's insane to make a big car with enormous rear seat legroom and not allow the driver to take advantage of that room if he wants to. I also found the driver's footwell in the 500 to be very cramped.
  • tbirdtbird Member Posts: 19
    First post but I have read all posts in this forum and found them to be very informative. On to my impressions, first was really impressed with the overall quickness with the auto. Drove an XLS with everything but nav. As a "manual only" driver on all my vehicles, and I just turned 50 (hold the applause please) I was surprised how much I enjoyed the ability to shift up and down with the transmission. None of the hesitation that everyone has been discussing when in auto mode. If there was any concerns I would have looked at something in the manual realm. This would have eliminated the Avalon from contention. The black was real classy looking and roomy. Big change from my 5 speed 4 cyl Camry. Design was something I had nothing but positives for, conservative yes ugly not at all. Looking to pick up a XL for the wife for our 25th anniversary on Memorial Day. Am trying to keep it a surprise as she is the primary driver for this vehicle (me and my 99 Taco are still going strong). For the money the XL is really a great auto for the price. Looking to acquire in the 25-26K-price range with the cd changer and security system. Color am looking at is the blizzard pearl. Any comments from those of you that have seen the color?

I will discuss the negotiating process once we "get down to it" My dealer has been really good (SE Georgia) in the past, around 200 over invoice. Will be curious to see if that will hold on this new redesigned model.

Keep up the great posts. For those of you that are special ordering what kind of time frame are you getting from your dealer? Don’t want it to be late for the big day.
  • hutch34hutch34 Member Posts: 34
    My limited should arrive next week. Have any current owners of the 05 Avalon found the need to return to the dealer for warranty work? Have you encountered any problems with the 05?
  • ronharvronharv Member Posts: 51
    Couldn't tell if it was my post you asked the following question about: "When you initially pressed the pedal, was there a very short moment where nothing happens but then the gear engages and off you go?" The answer, in my case, is no. Rather, I experienced the opposite of hesitation, a kind of an instant mini-lurch, which I can't even imitate in my smooth '03 Avalon. My '99 Taurus has a more pronounced lurch, which can be controlled with concentration and which I've not found in any of the couple dozen different Tauruses I've rented over the years.
    There was a review of the 05 Avalon and Buick LaCrosse on CAR and DRIVER TV on the SPIKE CHANNEL. While the review of the LaCrosse was just so so, the Avalon got a much more positive review. It said that the Avalon will attract grandparents and regular parents alike. If you are interested in watching it, it will repeat tomorrow at 12:00 pm ( Eastern Time Zone).
  • barclay3barclay3 Member Posts: 90
    I was told 6 to 8 weeks.
  • future1future1 Member Posts: 103
    After all, if so many people are trying to figure out if there is hesitation, or there isn't, do you really think it would be an issue that would actually stop you from buying the car? :)

Absolutely. That's the reason I didn't buy the 05 Avalon. If I drive the car that is called a "high-performance sedan", I expect that when I step on gas and release it 1 second later, it would accelerate and then coast. The Avalon does the opposite -- it coasts and then accelerates. Very unintuitive, to say the least. Exactly same issue as it is with Camry V6, Sienna, as well as certain Lexus models. All seem to be related to transmission designated as U251. It is especially noticible if you drove Nissan or Honda before.
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    Wouldn't that be U151E if your making reference to the Avalon's tranny!
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    Toyota reports YTD Avalon production at 3,441..
  • everesteverest Member Posts: 12
    With an automobile with so much power,I wouldn't buy it without stability control.

It is downright insane for Toyota to offer XL and TOURING without stability control as an option.

The stability control systems are getting better by the day. The new 2006 BMW 3-series (rear whel driven)is expected to do much better in snow with the new generation stability/traction control systems.