Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• buckeye6buckeye6 Member Posts: 8
    I am the owner of a 05 avalon xls. and right now I'm a little sick at my stomach.
    I am a died in the wool avalon man, having had 2 of the previous 5 years. Love 'em. This new one is not avalon quality. Road noise is terrible. Not the smoothest ride either. All else is great, as expected.
    I am beginning to see if I can help this noise problem. Would love any suggestions.
    I thought about selling it on e-bay. Thought about trading for a lexus. Lots of stuff going through my head. yes, I did try it, but I guess I didn't get it out on an expressway and hear the wind noise and the road noise.
    If I had paid sticker for it I would really be sick, that would have been 34,701.
    Oh, well. I have been in here with you guys for 6 months, reading everything, waiting , waiting for this car to hit the market. Ran right out and started shopping. Drove several, loved them. Finally got a really good deal. Bought it. Little by little the noise got to me. Sorry, maybe venting will help. Keep up the good work.
  • star51star51 Member Posts: 17
    Just a thought: are all the windows completely closed to the top?

Once had a similar problem (on a 97 Lumina) and it turned out the back-seat passenger had left the window open about 1/4 inch!
  • tweakertweaker Member Posts: 30
    Picked up my new limited yesterday. My experience is exactly the opposite. Very quiet, stable feeling car. I love it. No hesitation in the trans. The larger footprint will require some adjustment, but overall very satisfied. Thanks for all the good info on this forum.
  • nkjpnkjp Member Posts: 2
    One of my famiy member has a Avalon and the cloth does not seem to fit well. But she said that it gives it a classic look... I dont agree with that, but other wise the car seems like a lexus with cloth seats!
  • just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    My viewpoint is like yours, my XLS is definitely over my 04 a better riding, more comfortable car and just as quiet. As far as this link goes, http://home.netcom.com/~eugenek/AvalonReview1.htm....
    The author spent a lot of time talking about the dash not lining up with the door trim. He's right, I always noticed this about all my Avalons and always wondered why they couldn't get this right. However the overall comfort of the Avalons and this one even more so far outweighed that. He talks about the great seats, the engine and fantastic radio and nice styling even though not crazy in love with it, doesn't it make you realize he is nit-picking, trying to find something. If you look at the picture of this Buick you have to tell me in comparison to the Avalon, it's dated, if you look at the dash even if things line up, it's also dated, ordinary IMHO and nothing to brag about. See folks if we want to critique anything we can. Like I said once before, put everything on the balance scale, and once again IMHO, for overall comfort, interior space, front and rear, engine power and quietness etc, the Avalon in the same price point beats them all and Consumer Guide agrees.
  • fd1000fd1000 Member Posts: 47
    It was too bad that Car and Driver could only spare 2 minutes out of 30 to review the Avalon.

They didnt mention any of the cool new features that are available.

They managed to mention Buick and Avalon in the same sentence, as usual.

Then they managed to say that it was not that fun to drive.

That's it! Gee Car and Driver, thanks for the indepth review.
  • raleighwolfraleighwolf Member Posts: 40
    I really wanted to buy a 2005 Limited. So I waited, and waited. I called the dealers in my area left messages about calling me to drive one when it got in. Never got a call back.

So two weeks ago I went out there just to see. What luck, they had just gotten in a Limited the day before.

Having owned two other Avalons of each of the body styles, I thought this version looked the best of the three. BUT....

I was really not overwhelmed by the car. Not sure what it was.

Clearly it has more power I could feel that, It rides nicer than my 2002 with 100k on it, and it was quite.

I just never felt comfortable with the interior and the instrument gauges. Lots of wasted space. I wish the car I had driven had NAV...I think I would have liked that...

So unfortunately,,, I think I will keep my 2002 and drive it another 50K or so...very disapointing...

NOT a bad car....just not compelled to rush right out and buy it....My Avalon is doing a great job and I did not feel the delta was that great.
  • tassotasso Member Posts: 33
    I tell you guys, my almost 800 miles have been a dream. QUIET, but I have the Limited. Smooth. Door to dash clearence equal to a Lacrosse on inspection, BOTH worse than a Olds Alero I saw in the parking lot.

Forgive me - if the noise is that bad ask if you can purchase the acoustic deadening front windsheild found on the Limiteds.
  • agentagent Member Posts: 56
    Hey Buckeye6 Want to sell it? How much? Where are you?

Everyone... What are you averaging for gas mileage?
  • everesteverest Member Posts: 12
    Stability Control (SC) is much more than dealing with snow (I happen to be a PhD nuclear physicist). Let say, two years down the road, your Avalon's tire tread had come down and you are driving on a rain-induced slick road. SC could be the difference between a major accident and not having one.

I will not buy any car without SC, let alone a high horse power one such the 2005 Avalon [I also wouldn't buy a car without side curtain air bags].

I hear that the auto-journalists who test drove the Avalons criticized the Toyota management for not offering SC as an option in the XL and Touring versions. I take it that the management took it to heart. My guess is that coming 2006 model year, Toyota will offer SC across the Avalon model line.
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    "Everyone... What are you averaging for gas mileage?"

21.6 on 87 octane after 1100 miles. This is down because I use the remote start to warm the car & cabib up in the cold weather. I drive mostly freeway and open road.

MikeS.
  • tbirdtbird Member Posts: 19
    Thanx for the SC lesson. Remind me not to talk radioactive isotopes and decay with you as I am simple MBA that looks at everything as a financial decision. Guess I need to think more like a physicist and the old "where the rubber meets the road" adage. So I may have to review my selection and move towards a model with SC or hold out till becomes available on XL, although I may just have to dig a little deeper in my pockets as I do need something special for our 25th. Makes me want to get her out of the Camry. We do about 35K per year on our main car so we(she) is in it alot.
  • johnijohni Member Posts: 43
    Try working on this super sophisticated engine.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2005/02/when_more_is_le.html
  • abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    I love that approach. You get a gold star for taking one of their cars and bringing to another dealership. I wish I had thought of that. What a great move.

total agreement with the room issue, all numbers, but not as comfortable a car for big people. and the xm is an afterthought, I have not one bit of loyalty to this. To compare, all one has to do it to go to a Honda dealership and look at the V6 Accord. Beautifully done and thought out. Toyota should be embarassed with that antenna on the side of the trunk.

abfisch
    Thanks Pat. That what this forum is all about, or else we are subject to short rides from automotive journalists who have no long term experience with this model.

abfisch
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    "I love that approach. You get a gold star for taking one of their cars and bringing to another dealership. I wish I had thought of that. What a great move."

IMO I think the action was juvenile and inconsiderate. Even if we were talking about a slow-selling car instead of the Avalon, if either of the salespersons involved had an ounce of self-respect, they would have told Agent to take his business elsewhere. I'll be interested in Mackabee's opinion.
  • deaniedeanie Member Posts: 172
    Hi all:
    I happen to strongly agree with Everest's views on stability control. I would not buy a car without it (or airbags all around), especially in the mid-to-upper $20k price range. I am a 10-year owner of a Nissan Maxima-SE and was hoping for a current model-year replacement, but when the '04 Maximas came out somewhat homely, and were no longer built in Japan (where the build quality is routinely higher than for cars built in the U.S.), I started to wonder where my next new car purchase would be made.

I read about the 05 Avalon last week in several auto magazines and was excited at the prospect of finding a japanese-branded car that was good-looking, under $30K, handed and braked well, and had good acceleration and fuel economy, but most importantly, rear seating for three real people, and stability control, and traction control. The Avalon satisfies me on all these fronts, but without the stability or traction options available on the Touring model (the only model that can deliver decent handling), I will have to suck it up and buy the ugly duckling Maxima. However, if I find out that Toyota isn't brain-dead (as was the guy who made the sc and tc available only on the priciest version), then I'll be willing to wait to the Fall 05 for the '06 Avalon to come out.

Until then, I'll be waiting to hear from anyone who has any advice or knowledge on such matters.
    Regards,
    Dean
  • williamtwilliamt Member Posts: 39
    This or some similar simple cause sounds likely to me. My dealer has a team of two young (acute hearing) mechanics who specialize in locating noises and finding the true causes. If you don't find something like the window or sunroof ajar, you might ask your dealer to put their best noise-finders on the case. From the experience others claim, I'd say yours sounds like an anomoly.
    JUST my opinion:

Wait until the 06 or 07 models come out. They will have worked out the bugs, and will probably have that come down to the other trim options.

The Maxima is a very good car also, and if yours is still running, I would use it and wait them out.

abfisch
    Similar experience. Alot of excitement on paper but like all new models, it is wise to wait.

I have an 02 also with 62K on it. Actually, the older it gets, the more I like it. If you get to 100K with it, and want to keep it but are a little displeased with the handling, front nose dive, and ride, replacement premium struts in this vehicile make a dramtic difference.

Just a thought. I have no rush to buy this new one. It offers me little more than what I have got, and some things that it does not have.

abfisch
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    That was very rude, inconsiderate, and unethical. If someone were to do that to me I would leave them at the other dealership and let them walk back to the dealership to get their car. I doubt anyone at the other store would give them a ride. Why is it that some people think that just because someone is a car salesman it gives them the right to abuse them? This is really sad and says a lot about certain people in our society.
    : (
    Mackabee
  • fareastfareast Member Posts: 6
    Price quoted over internet was $32,991 for xls w/ VSC and floor mats. I have sent in offer over internet for Avalon xls only options I want is VSC and Floor mats. I am offering $30,000.00. We'll see what they say. Few days later they emailed that their original offer was best they could do, darn. I guess I have to get my civic fixed to drive for next few months til things cool down with the avalons. Here is his exact reply:

Right now these vehicles are the hardest thing in the world to get, so on these those numbers are the best I can do.

If you want to take a loaded up XL I copuld do better.

Thanks
  • burlburl Member Posts: 40
    This problem area has been identified by a number of people in this room. these are all people who are trying to LOVE the 2005 Avalon, Not disparage it! So those who own or have driven one that does not have This problem or the Throttel problem or the hunting Transmission Problem, Please try to understand an acknowledge that they do exist....WE are not crazse (Lolol) or stupid. These individual problems apparently do not exist in all the units off the line so far....But they do exist in some of the already delivered cars. If these comments were coming from people with an axe to grinde (GM LOVERS) it would be different, but these are generally Avalon OWNERS AND POTENTIAL BUYERS. They Do not WANT to find anything wrong.....The problems exist and need to be addressed not Po Poed

Buckeye6 I asked on or about 2-17-05 if the Limited windshildes were avaialbe yet and would they Transfer ....no one in here said a word.
    I know it sounds silly to say this on a $36,000 car
    but.........Talk to the best car or home audio people that install and see if they have any suggestions. They do have and market it although it is expensive.

Carpet padding which is also a good sound suppresioner used under the trunk and floor matting and under the hood insulation is a supriseingly good item that costs very little. You can still find undercoating that is the older heavier Tar like stuff which also deadends road noise but you need to be there when they put it on to keep them form getting overzellous

Good luck!
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    I think I understand. If I want a Camry XLE I4 auto with VSC and the side bags (very hard to find, if not impossible) can my local dealer get that car from anyone in the US with that particular allocation?
  • oldjackoldjack Member Posts: 7
    I am selling my 1998 Lexus GS300 and buying an Avalon Limited.

Kelly Blue Book has just posted the prices on the 2006 GS300. I compared a comparably equipped Avalon Limited against the GS300 and found a retail price difference of nearly $14,000.

The Avalon is larger, more powerful and comes with a full size spare tire on an alloy wheel. The Lexus offers these advantages: 6-speed vs 5-speed tranny, rear wheel drive, power tilt & telescope steering wheel w/memory, power folding os mirrors w/auto tilt down, Bluetooth connectivity, tire pressure monitor, R/V camera w/nav system, pre-collision system w/laser cruise control, adaptive headlamps, headlight washers and a 4-yr/50000 mi warranty. These are nice features, but hardly worth the cost difference.

I drove both cars on the same day before I made my decision.
  • smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    I too will never buy a car without Stability Control. See http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/stability_control2.html.
    VSC is not just for snow. It PREVENTS loss of control and resulting crashes. It is inexcusable of Toyota to not make it available on ALL trim levels of the new Avalon.
  • mikerochmikeroch Member Posts: 69
    Hi all,

This is my first post here and although I've wanted to start before, today has made it a "necessity". I'm kind of upset and disappointed. :(:(

The Avalon just got released for sale up here in Canada today and my suspicions have been confirmed. (I think this was also mentioned by someone else in a prior post). There is NO LIMITED model here. We thus cannot get: Laser Cruise; Keyless Start; Power rear sunshade; Ventilated front seats; Remote start (yes, not even available as an "accessory" here) (and probably some other stuff I can't remember right now).

The XLS model is the highest available, and with the Navigation package (I'm thankful we can get that) etc. (i.e. fully loaded up here), the MSRP is about $47k Canadian (yes we get burned on our currency as well...but that's another story).

My wife and I are now thinking of the Lexus ES330, which does have some of the above additional features at about 4-5 k more. However, it's smaller, slower, and looks like it will be replaced at some point in the not too distant future as part of Lexus's "revamping" of their model line. (Also, we like the look of the Avalon better, although the interior of the Lexus is quite attractive).

We're going to drive both in the next couple of days and I'll report back impressions.

Any thoughts till then?

Thanks
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    fredvh, I have the same situation right now with one of my customers. What I did was preference one however I was told this configuration is not normally ordered in our region, which I already knew. I'm waiting to see if they will build the car. The other option is to have your dealer search outside his region and see if there are any out there with that equipment configuration.
    : )
    Mackabee
  • smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    Well, if you can wait until late fall, the 2006 will be out and maybe a Limited trim will be added. Toyota seems to be using the short 2005 Avalon model year as a "test market." I expect some juggling of trims and features for 2006 based on consumer response. You probably aren't the only Canadian potential buyer who's bummed that there is no Limited trim.
  • dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    Can you send me the name of the dealer you are referring to in Mass for the extended warranty? Is the price you quoted the "platinum" program
    (toyota's best coverage)? Thanks...dazzariti@aol.com
  • raleighwolfraleighwolf Member Posts: 40
    " If you get to 100K with it, and want to keep it but are a little displeased with the handling, front nose dive, and ride, replacement premium struts in this vehicile make a dramtic difference. "

Great Idea! Thanks abfisch!
  • buckeye6buckeye6 Member Posts: 8
    I feel much better today. All that foolishness about getting rid of the xls is gone. now I'm focusing on fixing it.
    Both of us, wife and I, agree that this car is definitely not as quiet or as smooth riding and the 04 we traded for it. Its better in many ways, lots more room, overall better looking, more power, no hesitation(the 04 had it), no hunting of the transmission.
    I have found someone to undercoat it (169). I will explore the dealer putting his crew to work to see what they can find. appreciate the advice. Hope for some positive results Will keep you guys posted.
    Just to clear things up a bit. I was back and forth with these two dealers over and over and over again. An honest bottom line answer would have been very nice but apparently they felt it necessary to continue feeding me crap. Well, now I have the bottom line that I had asked for all along. My time is money and I don't like it wasted. Don't forget, I'm in real estate so I'm not ignorant to sales. For two weeks they wasted my time and each fed me lies. Speak to me clearly and truthfully and I'm a happy camper with a new car. Now tell me who abused who?
  • psypsy Member Posts: 122
    I like it also... stuff it in there face. There going to go out of there way to make you pay for advert. fee,, and hang it off in yeah for a fee on handleing paper work and all the other little tricks toyota seems to do more of and better than anybody else. Im in sales. I sell pumps, boilers, chillers and there subsystems. I get other brands and prices shoved in my face everyday. Besides they probley went to the bar and had a suds and laughed at being played like they play folks. We as consumers need to get more brutish with car sales persons. :)

As for purchasing one this year. Im not going to do it. Ive never bought a first year production run on any car. And see no good reason to break the rule. I do see this car added to the must drive and get a firm quote on class. As Ive said before there are alot of good cars in this money range. From cheaper to abit more and theres basicly not a nickles worth of diff. between them. All have there stong and short suites. Wife and I did stop by the local ford/lin/merc dealer so we could right them off or short list and that was done fast. The 500 and its siblings got cut fast. And we left the dealer with a good laugh. There was a linclon navagator there with a sticker of 63K. I had to ask the saleman,,, when does the call girl junp out? ( Ive known this saleman for years ) Gm has nothing on the list. So it remains, toyota, honda, acura and infinity. Enjoy the posts. be good or bad at it!!!1

psy

psy
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Why don't you use the Edmund's website to find out the TMV (true market value) and take that to the dealer for negotiation purpose. That is what I did when I purchased my 03 Camry. It does save a lot of hassles.
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    I am a staunch advocate of (VSC) vehicle stability control. It is a saftey aid that operates through an electronic sensor system intended to help overcome the contributing factors to a drivers loss of control, primarily through the use of the ABS system, and lessen the dangers of spinouts, rollovers and other mishaps where the driver is about to lose control.

To say it "PREVENTS" is an (pretty strong) implication that a driver can operate without undue concern in the belief that the VCS will prevent resulting crashes. No safety system can prevent problems unconditionally if this were factualy correct NHTSA would mandate that (VSC) be standard on all vehicles.

The vehicle and any passengers is still the responsibilty of the driver.

my .02 cents
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    While I don't believe your conduct was reprehensible as has been mentioned I do believe it was un-couth, but clearly your point regarding being the victim of a waste of time and untruths I'm sure strikes a chord with many.

You mention you finally got the bottom line, was it what you expected?
  • lcd1lcd1 Member Posts: 147
    I test drove Touring Avalon and was completely surprised by its gobble of power and precise handling. It would be my next car if my '98 Volvo S70 keeps on giving me trouble.

I noticed, however, that tire noise was louder thant I expected for a family touring car. It's louder than my S70 with Michelin touring tires. Also, with hard accelerations, the engine/exhaust note is much much louder than expected. In my opinion, Toyota tuned it for the extreme sportiness sound. At 40, I'd prefer a powerful car but with a more quieter ride for a conversation, news or music. The steering is on the light side, but not too bad. The rear seat does not fold down but there is a smallish port to pass a pair of skis through.

What a nice car overall though.
  • tassotasso Member Posts: 33
    COMPLETELY childish. Would you want someone to treat you that way in your profession. Think about it, they are selling cars to make a living- THINK about it. I assume whoever did that inconsiderate action NEVER COMPLAINS ABOUT the things their patrons,clients,etc do toward them. It is a car, but these are people your dealing with, treat them with respect.
    To each there own. I'm young and look even younger. I won't be taken for a fool as they tried to do. No offense to all of the honest car salesmen out there but I won't be carelessly offended as their previous actions had done without reprocutions. When a home seller asks me my bottom line on commission, it is discussed and resolved within the hour. If we can't agree then I wish them well and that's that. Don't pre-judge me and my actions. I see it as a justice on all accounts. If you don't see it that way, then I'm sorry. It was healthy competition between two truely sleezy car salesmen. My bottom line was $3,500 below MSRP and yes, I got it.
  • solara00solara00 Member Posts: 81
    Agent, for the sake of argument, I'll assume that everything you said about the two salesmen and how they treated you is absolutely true.

The question is: Do you lower yourself to their standards or do you set higher standards that allow you to look yourself in the mirror each day?

Instead of trying to ourdo their alleged shenanigans, why not find a dealer that is honest and good; someone you can depend on purchase after purchase? Life is too short to "get even."

Just My Opinion...
  • rdeweyktrdeweykt Member Posts: 6
    Hey, give them a break! There are just not enough parts available at this time. Did you ever think of that. Toyota has made VSC standard in all of it's SUV's as the 2004 model release, just about half of the Sienna's being built, all Prius with BC pkg., most Tundra's and even an option on some other models. Also selling systems to GM & Volvo as well as ABS systems. Be patient, before long these systems will be in every Toyota all the way down to the Corolla.
  • nvincentnvincent Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2005 Avalon today. I am interested in the Gold or Platinum Extended Warranty that Toyota offers. Do you know which one you were speaking of in Mass. for $985?
  • everesteverest Member Posts: 12
    Few years ago, I had read a long under-cover experience of an Edmunds staffer as a car salesman.

At the end of it, the Edmund’s staffer (and so did I) came away with the feeling that these people (not well-paid/earned) too are trying to make a living [so are the mangers at dealerships who handle the salesmen]. It was also apparent that the public is rather suspicious of the car salesmen.

With Edmunds story still fresh in my memory, I took a test drive at a local dealership. I got a price from the salesman and also got another price from an Internet car dealer. I had promised the salesman that before I make my decision I would give him a chance to match the price of a competitor. With the Internet dealer offering a much better price, I decided to go with this dealer. Regrettably, I did so without notifying the salesman.

When the salesman knew about it he felt sad. He had told me about a small child he had at home during our test drive. I felt very bad. Unfortunately, the only thing I could do was to visit him and apologize for my unethical conduct and give him a check for $200.
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    Ok, so now I feel taken. We paid 1,400 for the Toyota 7yr 100K mile Platinum extended warranty. Seeing a few posts from other people tells me that I need to find a dealer to sell this to me at a better price and to cancel my current one for a full refund.

I was already tweaked with the dealer from when the salesman tried to knock off 400 and some dollars from the KBB low end price on my trade-in. Telling me that the dealer had to clean up the van and some other stuff. They relented when I pointed out that KBB already takes that into account on their prices.

I love the car but I'm been less then fully satisfied with the dealer.

MikeS.
  • dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    I received a quote for $1125 on my new Limited I will pick-up tomorrow evening. This is for the platinum warranty @7 years/100K/zero deductible.

You'll find many different opinions on the pros versus cons of purchasing an extended warranty. Knowing that I won't have any unexpected out of pocket service expenses on my new Avalon for the next seven years, for me, is well worth the cost of the warranty, especially given the configuration of the Limited.

I'll post the details of my purchase after I take delivery.

For what it is worth, this will be my fourth Toyota product ( Celica, Solara, Lexus ) and after several test drives, I'm extremely impressed with this new Avalon.
    Raleighwolf:

Not to get off the "high" of the new Avalon, but certain, not all, but certain aftermarket equipment applied to the Avalon, makes it go from "happy" to "HAPPY" (Emerill Live). Specfically, I changed the struts, disc rotors, sway bar bushing and front control arm bushings with a remarkable difference in control and braking, and very little sacrifice in ride. Even a best friend still says it rides like a boat, but he drives nothing but BMW's so what the heck. It is remarkable and hopefully the Touring model brings the NEW Avalon, to an about "Police Interceptor" level, which I look for in the type of driving I primarily do, highway, long distance, rural, etc. If you are in a city environment, then I would hesitate with the struts but not the change in rotors when you need to replace brakes. I do most, not all of the work on my vehicle, so I have some experience.

Good luck.

abfisch
  • nvincentnvincent Member Posts: 2
    Yes, please give the details including the dealership!
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    Here are the details: quote was $985 for Toyota Extended Care Platinum warranty, 7 years, 100K miles, $0 deductible. Dealer was Toyota of Greenfield, in Massachusetts. You can use search engine (e.g., Google) to get to their website, as we can't post them here. Go to Finance, and contact the business manager listed there. This warranty can be purchased from any dealer in the US that sells it. You have to send them bill of sale or registration with legible VIN number, signed letter stating mileage, and payment.
  • just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    Everest I have nothing but the greatest respect for you for what you did. You didn't have to do that, but it says a lot about you. Recently some months back I read the same type of story about a reporter who went undercover for his magazine to see the life of a car salesman. To say the least, in most cases without a salary they are under a lot of pressure to meet the goals of the Dealership. Anyway my hat goes off to you. Someone here might say your a bleeding heart liberal, but I feel your a man of character who treats his fellow human beings the way he wants to be treated. This agent guy is a kid with a chip on his shoulder and he should take a lesson from you. Stay well my friend.