Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• jl618jl618 Posts: 64
    Basic questions, bear with me please.

How do the anti-theft and engine immobilizer systems work in the Avalon?
  • ski1003ski1003 Posts: 41
    I didn't really want remote start but it was on my 2005 Avalon XL. The distance in the book states "approximately 80 feet". I think that is the best it can do. If I reall needed to use it, I would be very disappointed with the cost and performance,
  • ski1003ski1003 Posts: 41
    I purchased the OEM all weather floor mats for my Avalon and also for my wives 2002 Camry. I'm very happy with the decision but paid $90 for Avalon and got a deal from relative on the Camry ones. Diffently a must in the Northeast, especially with the light gray mats that come with the car.
  • library1library1 Posts: 54
    Lexus Vs. NHTSA

I checked for HID and leveling at
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/site/nhtsa/menuitem.e649cd1b2b018- c71d8eca01046108a0c/

On Google, the Lexus comments came up, but had no reference to a source. Perhaps the author refers to a particular state "DOT"? California likes to layer on legislation.
    ;)
  • dshimkatdshimkat Posts: 54
    "OEM or Aftermarket?"

jl618,

I have the OEM All Weather Mats in my new Limited and they are very good quality. They are just as good as the Weathertech after market ones that I had in my '01 Avalon. In fact, the back seat mats have a perfect fit, as opposed to the Weathertech which I had to trim for them to fit. I would recommend you go with the OEM mats. As an added benefit, they have "Avalon" imprinted on them, whereas the Weathertech do not.
  • perico1perico1 Posts: 32
    Hi there....I am awaiting delivery on my black limited, due in around mid month. I have not seen a black one yet. Is the paint job good? Any imperfections? Black seems to show flaws really fast. Did you get the gold package? Congratulations on your purchase, I guess I will live vicariously on yours until my arrives.
  • abfischabfisch Posts: 591
    I could not agree more. It seems those of us, not all, but many who have a previous Avalon, are not as taken by the new one. I found the same discrepancies as you. The roofline is lower and more difficult to egress. There are notable improvements but it doesn't justify anything other than the price of the XL or Touring. Otherwise, you are getting alot of electronic stuff and paying a very nice mark up for it I might add.

For the person who wrote about the dual exhaust and it is essentially the same, it is not. It is a copy, from the Acura make, to pretend to have dual exhaust from the rear, but it is from the CAT back that it is dual exhaust, while it reduces backpressure, it is much more heavy hit on replacement, especially if it has two mufflers associated with it. Wait till someone has to replace that part.

As far as the XL and different size tires go, compared to the other models, I would not worry too much about it. Yes, the ride and handling will be slightly different, but major differences are had when you start changing componetry such as stuts, bushings, sway bar sizes, etc. rather than tires and wheels. And in addition to that, bigger tires and wheels are an added increased replacement expense. Just look at the difference between the cost of a 15,16 and 17 inch tire times 4. Over the life of the car. And the incidence of wheel bend increases as well. You do get more transient response but at the expense of ride comfort. The wear is usually faster with a lower profile tire.

ONLY IMO, the XL and the Touring as the "best buy"

Shame on Consumer Reports April 05 for omitting the Avalon 05 in one of there lists comparing Large sedans. It is incomplete and some of us expect more from that thorough magazine from the obvious omission in their annual April car report.

abfisch
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    How exactly do you propose that CR include the 05 Avalon in the list of ratings when the car has just been introduced 3 weeks ago and the organization has not yet had time to do a full report. Keep in mind that while mags and sites like Car and Driver, Edmunds, etc, keep a car for a week or so, CR buys the cars off dealer lots and typically logs between 5000 and 6000 miles before publishing.

~alpha
  • smith1smith1 Posts: 283
    "I think for a given car, larger wheel size means firmer (and noisier) ride but better handling."

That's generally true. When you increase wheel size on a specific vehicle, the larger wheel generally comes with a lower-profile tire which will improve handling at the expense of ride.

What I meant was, an 18" wheel is not necessarily going to improve handling over a smaller wheel, IF both are equipped with similar profile tires.

"So in this context 2005+ Avalon XL is likely to have smoother and less noisier ride compared to XLS (assuming everything else remains the same)."

Again, I agree. Although the difference in sidewall profiles between the XL and the higher trims is pretty small (60 series vs. 55 series) so I doubt the XL will differ much from the XLS in noise and ride smoothness. The Touring is a different animal, since it has a firmer suspension as well, and as you note the Limited has the special windshield which will reduce noise.
    PRIME TIME:

Yes, I do and here is why. You will notice that you have more brake dust on the front wheels than the back. While a normal process of the pads to wear, there are remedies, some good and some bad to combat it.

I have much less brake dust on my set of steel wheels I use for winter driving. When you change your pads, select a pad that has minimal dust accumulation. Usually, the higher quality pad you choose, the more dust but not all the time.

Select your wheel choices BEFORE you buy the car. More spokes, more surfaces to clean, and it is more time consuming. A flat disc is easier to clean. Some of the Avalon or Toyota wheels, since they cross parts alot, are painful unless you like to clean wheels. Some forethought would be good before the purchase, unless you have someone else do it and you don't care.

There is a product called clean wheels that goes inside the wheels and is a black aluminum vented disc, that dramatically decreases brake dust on the outside of the wheel, but it doesn't let the discs cool very easily and that could lead to premature warpage of the discs. Cannot recommend them personally.

The old Avalons additionally, had alot of front end nose dive under hard braking. This stresses the front/rear brake basis and loads the fronts a bit more, making them work harder. I have found that premium struts prevent alot not all of the nose dive problems under high speed braking and thus decrease but do not eliminate front wheel brake dust.

The less you are on the brakes, the less dust.

I hope this helps. Front wheel drive cars and cars drivin very sportingly have this problem.

I hope this helps.

abfisch
    Smith1:

Agree totally. I think also the width (215's now) are the same, so the footprint is the same. Just the diameter and the profile have changed, the same as the previous type model.

It should be noted that there is a significant difference in replacement cost of a 16 versus 17 inch tire and or rim.

A different tire could make a significant difference in ride qualtiy as well as others too. Toyota has put good but not great tires as original equipment in the past.

abfisch

abfisch
  • boatsmanboatsman Posts: 37
    The black looks great......I think it's the best color for an expensive yet sporty look. Didn't get the gold package which I don't believe is factory anyway. The little chrome the car has realy stands out against the black. Might consider gold but want to live with it awhile. I haven't noticed any flaws in the paint. When we were going over it when we took delivery I joked with the dealer that there was a little dust on the hood and he said oh we can dust it off for you it will only take a minute. I said no way I don't want anybody scratching the paint while they wipe off dry dust. I've had black cars before and you really have to watch the car wash attendants when there drying the cars. It also has the best sounding radio....just be sure to adjust the bass, midrange, and treble by pushing in the right knob and turning. You can also turn on or off the FM surround sound. I think it sounds best on and it has great seperation. Good luck with yours!
  • 3puttmax3puttmax Posts: 119
    Has anyone actually used the laser-guided cruise control? Is it helpful, or a nuisance? If you do use it, which setting do you use?
  • 3puttmax3puttmax Posts: 119
    With the XM radio, what information is displayed? Does the display tell you song title, album, station or what? How do you directly access the 100+ stations? Hopefully you don't have to tune up or down thru 100 stations. In other words, is the interface at least as good as the stand-alone XM receivers you can buy?
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Posts: 192
    I couldn't find the section that gave monthly production figures. It is also interesting to read the newsletter, particularly regarding their quality control program.
  • cc12wittcc12witt Posts: 8
    Good question, and wouldn't it be nice if there was a built-in interface for MP3 input, as my friend has on his 2004 BMW 3-series? There's a button on his radio system labeled "auxiliary". Was nobody thinking at Toyota?
    I have the laser cruise control on my 2004 Sienna, and I think it is helpful. I tend to use the longest distance interval, but that's a matter of personal preference. The hardest thing was getting used to and trusting the cruise control to slow you down when you come up behind someone. It does that very well, and will then pace the car ahead of you. You then have the choice of continuing behind the slower vehicle, or passing them and resuming automatically your previous speed. With conventional cruise control, you have to manually take yourself out of cruise control (e.g., by braking if you don't pass the car you're overtaking. For this and other reasons, I tend to use laser cruise more than I would conventional cruise control.
  • Arthur - thanks for your comments. I wonder if I could get a closed wheel from Toyota?
  • deaniedeanie Posts: 172
    hi: handling may not be everything, but if one of two otherwise identical cars has a firmer suspension and lower profile tires (touring), that vehicle will handle better than the other, and if driven in an identical manner than the car with softer-suspension (all other models)/and has higher profile tires (all others but limited), it is the touring model which will be more likely to avoid an accident, and/or perhaps slightly reduce the severity of an accident. though the accident likelihood/severity of buying a touring versus a non-touring model are admittedly not very high, consider the insurance cost of getting into a less severe accident (injury, death), or avoiding one altogether, and the consequences to your health, your loved ones, and on your financial well-being. considering all this, I won't mind buying the better-handling touring. however, i have not yet mentioned the fact that the touring does not have the stability control or traction control available in the limited, which negates my whole safety/handling arguement for the touring model. however, the "brains" (or lack thereof) at toyota will surely wise up and realize that a camry se model (similar in scope to the avalon touring) can be optioned with stability and traction controls that are currently unavailable on touring and other avalons. as such, my trusty 96 nissan maxima will pull extra duty (like so many troops in iraq) until i can get the touring w/traction and stability. THEN, my avalon touring arguement over all other avalon models will hold water.
    any thoughts?
  • deaniedeanie Posts: 172
    hi abfisch:
    thanks for your reply. i waited for the 96 maximas to come out before buying the 95"s, which were mildly troublesome, whereas the 96's were bulletproof. the 05 avalons (based on this forum's feedback) are not trouble-free, so perhaps waiting a model year makes the most sense.
    dean
    Good comments on both. No disagreement here. I prefer autos that handle securely, while I know I can give up a little in comfort to a point. Buying the first model year, especially if one is paying cash, which I do, but not all people do, is like gambling. No can do. Waiting would be the smart man's game.

You could theoretically do something like I did with my 02 if you wanted the best of both worlds. First, what exactly, is the "Sport Suspension" on the touring model??? Define it please someone??? I know it comes with the 17" rims. Besides that. Is it different calibrated struts only, or spring rates, both, larger sway bars??? front and rear, change in bushings. What are you gettin??? My guess, and the Toyota salesman that contributes to this site would know the best, is that they took the parts from the Camry SE, and placed them in the Avalon.

My guess is that you could put a premium shock in the XLS, and come up with something similar to the SE type ride. Just a thought. Most would not. But "sports suspension" must be better defined. There are many ways to change the quality of handling versus ride. It would be nice for someone with a knowlege base of parts to let the readers now what they are exactly getting.

In 02, I put Tokico Struts in with Energy Suspension PU bushing in the sway bars and the front control arms, parts that have the same number at the Camry suspension with very demonstrable results. Not impossible to do with good reliable people and a little patience.

Consumer Reports results usually show the 1st year models have more trouble no matter what brand, although Toyota seems to have the highest number of models in the excellent category for reliability, a decision crtiteria that appeals alot to us working class.

abfisch
    Good question. I think the rankings are not new model based, I think. Since there are other new models that are posted in there respective categories. Take a look at the April 05 issue under Large Car Category. You could be right, that they omitted it on purpose but I think it is based on ranking from the previous year, which would be 04. They haven't tested many 05 models yet.

abfisch
  • dshimkatdshimkat Posts: 54
    3puttmax,

With XM, when you initially tune to a channel, the station name then station number appear on the display. You can then press the "TEXT" button on the control panel to cycle through channel number, channel name, song title, then artist name.

To my knowledge, you can not directly access any station directly, other than using the 18 presets on the control panel (SAT1, SAT2, SAT3 using the 6 preset buttons) to get close, then use the tuning knob to get to your desired channel.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    As long as there has been no major redesign, the vehicle will appear in the ratings. Hence, the Toyota Avalon no longer appears in the ratings, since the new model has not been tested.

The ratings reflect 2005 model year vehicles that have been tested, or previous model year versions of the same vehicle that have not been significantly altered. In addition to the Toyota Avalon, for example, you will not find a rating for the Toyota Tacoma, VW Jetta, etc, as those models are recent redesigns which have not been reviewed yet.

The new 2005 model year vehicles which have been tested, appear in the ratings: The Honda Odyssey, Ford Mustang and Five Hundred, Buick LaCrosse, Saturn Relay, Pontiac G6 all come to mind, to name a few.

The ratings are effectively for 05.

~alpha
  • wesgwesg Posts: 24
    I would like to be able to exchange an XM radio AND a GPS Navigation package between the Avalon Limited and my 97 Camry. XM has several portable models...and Garmin has the new Street Pilot c320/330. Any thoughts about having both in two cars? Thanks for your input....Wes
    Your handling question (Touring vs other Avalons) is interesting, and the logic is sound, but it leads to an almost openended discussion. If handling is the primary concern, why limit yourself to Avalons--why not buy a BMW 535 instead? It is also true that any Avalon likely handles better than, say, a Sienna, so should I sell my Sienna and get a Avalon touring?
    The truth is that safety is a multifactorial equation, as is a car purchase, of which safety is one, however important, component. For myself, the handling edge of a Touring vs a Limited might be offset by the fact that I would probably drive the Touring more aggressively than I will my Limited, and therefore not not get into situations where every little extra bit of handling was vital. The other features of the Limited compared to the Touring, handling considered, prompted me to opt for the former. But in the identical situation, the Touring would have the edge in handling, of whatever size. Maybe we should all just buy Hummers, and run them over instead of trying to avoid them. :-)

Re first-year models, I had no problems with a first-year 1982 Celica Supra, or my first-year 1995 Maxima SE.
  • tbirdtbird Posts: 16
    Wow, those numbers are really amazing, esp the 31+ on your return trip, considering 280 ponies and it being a full size sedan. I hope your new baby continues to give you such a great return! How legal were you running?
  • wiktor256wiktor256 Posts: 12
    dshimkat,
    Was your XM radio installed by the dealer or by the factory?

I ordered XM radio on my Avalon, but the dealer claims that they can only install after-market XM radio with an external display unit. And if I want to have it integrated with JBL sound and nav system I have to wait several months before after-market receivers will be able to integrate with Avalon.

Can you give me the name of the Toyota dealer that did the installation for you?

Thanks,
    Wiktor
  • tweakertweaker Posts: 30
    Ivory - it's really very classy. Contrary to a few posts here, I like the the light wood.
  • solara00solara00 Posts: 81
    Although the specifics of this post relate to my 04 XLE V6 Camry, I wonder if it has any relevance to the Avalon.

While not a horrible problem, I do notice some hesitation in my V6 Camry. It's a little slow leaving from a stop, but I'm used to it.

For the first time (after 13,000 miles) in my Camry I put in two full tanks of Premium BP/Amoco fuel. My tank was pretty empty, so I wasn't mixing too much mid-grade with the premium grade.

It may be only my imagination or simply wishing, but I don't feel the hesitation that I have experienced since I bought the car new. Does this sound possible by just changing from mid-grade to premium? If this continues, I may decide the extra 7-10 cents per gallon is worth it. We'll see.