Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• pricecutterpricecutter Member Posts: 49
    Using Edmunds, Kelly, and AAA, I come up with the following dealers invoice price for a fully loaded 2005 Toyota Avalon Limited (includes VSC, Navigation, and Dynamic Cruise: $32,679. If you add 6% tax ($1,961) the total price is $34,640.

So, negotiations should start at the above price,
    correct?
  • psypsy Member Posts: 122
    Anybody know of a automotive chat. seems like this would be a great place for one. Fourms are so 1980'ish :)

psy
  • deaniedeanie Member Posts: 172
    hi:
    thanks for your thoughts, pmcb48. i view a minivan as a necessity if i have three or more children, or an absolute need to haul six or more people around. absent those needs, i feel a sedan or station wagon is the smartest way to go from a safety/ accident avoidance standpoint. my second child will be born within the next 24-72 hours, and i plan on having no more, so until both kids are of "soccer and little league age", we will not have a need for a 6+ seat vehicle. subaru will be coming close with the tribeca (it will have an optional 3rd row, but in the mid-30's it's a pricey consideration, and being a heavy vehicle it should handle and brake worse than the legacy wagons out there.

regarding a bmw 535, it's high on my wish list b/c of its handling capabilities, but it way to expensive to purchase, and the insurance and long term maintenance takes it further out of my range. $31k is the limit for my next car purchase, and until i see something better, the avalon touring is my number one choice - but i still wont buy the avalon until the touring gets stability and traction (they're available on the camry-se no less, so i'm confident the avalon touring will get it for the '06 model year in the fall (i hope)).

when it comes to driving, i tend to drive the same in all vehicles - fairly fast, fluidly and some would say aggressively - not wise, but is why i need a better handling car. and yes, with the impending arival of my 2nd child, i know i have slow down a bit and drive in a less aggressive fashion. in most situations the touring and limited handling differences might be moot, but that unforeseen deer causing you to swerve, or the guy running the stop sign or red light, or the child or dog that runs into the street unexpectedly... you get the picture. that why i want the touring. that's when the handling will count most - if to a somewhat small degree.

as for hummers and the largest suv's they'll evolve into slightly smaller more fuel efficient and better handling creatures or go exinct as those first time buyer tire of the fortune dropped at each fill-up, and the accumulated embarrassment/disappointment with honda civics and toyota corollas being able to run circles around them. take care.
  • pack8398pack8398 Member Posts: 2
    Bought an XLS two weeks ago and love it. I had the dealer kick in a free XM radio as a condition of the sale. I do not have the radio that has a SAT button. I took the car in today to have the XM radio installed but unfortunately couldn't pick the car up until very near closing so I missed the mechanic that installed the XM. When I got home, I can't find anyway to actually turn the XM radio on. There's no external unit and, like I said, I don't have the SAT button on my radio. Is this simply a situation where I'll have to take the car back in so an external unit can be added? Actually, it's a little irritating that the person who installed the radio didn't bother to see if it worked. BTW, sorry for yet another XM question : )
  • dshimkatdshimkat Member Posts: 54
    "Has anyone noticed that the sunroof opens automatically to a point about 3" short of full open. Then if you press the open switch again, it opens the other 3" ??"

tweaker,

I believe the owners manual says that is to prevent excessive wind noise at higher speeds on the highway. For around town, open air motoring, you will in fact need to press the sunroof open switch twice.
  • dshimkatdshimkat Member Posts: 54
    pack8398,

Until you can talk to your installing mechanic, try the mode button on the steering wheel controls to cycle through AM-FM1-FM2-CD and hopefully SAT1-SAT2-SAT3 which will allow 18 presets, 3 each on your 6 preset buttons. Once you are tuned to one of the SAT's, you can use the tuning knob on your dash controls to select an XM station.
  • pack8398pack8398 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. Yeah, I tried that but it just cycles through AM, FM1, FM2 and CD.
  • fndlyfmrflyrfndlyfmrflyr Member Posts: 668
    The Honda/Acura nav system is very intuitive and seemed to me significantly better and easier to use than the one in the 2005 Avalon I drove. The one on the Avalon, however, seemed to work okay in that it did get me back to the dealer.

Five salespeople at the Toyota dealer couldn't figure out how to use the one in the Avalon. The one in the Acura needed no learn time in order to be used.

I find nav systems very handy locally (unexpected) and use mine frequently.
  • jeffcarpjeffcarp Member Posts: 7
    I have owned a portable nav system for about 5 years now, first the Garmin StreetPilot III and now the Garmin StreetPilot 2610. I am 100% sure that I will never buy an in-car GPS. The only possible reasons that I can think of that people would spend 3x the cost of the portables would be 1) if they really care about how a portable GPS looks like in the car, 2) The really think the voice activation is needed or 3) They want the real-time traffic jam features of the Acura (though that will be in portables soon enough.

I could buy a new Garmin unit each and every year of my lease before I reach the price of the installed units.

People that have never owned an in-car GPS before should now that map updates are at the mercy of the car manufacturer and they are SLOW. My coworkers Acura and my Garmin both use Navteq maps. My map data is 2.5 YEARS more current than his.

The big advantage of the portable unit is obviously that you can move it from car to car, but more importantly, that you get to know how it operates and can maintain that as you change cars over the years.

There is a huge secondary market for portable GPS devices. Each time Garmin releases a new one, my old one goes on Ebay. Last time, I recovered 65% of my purchase price after 2 years of ownership. Not bad!
  • crumblezonecrumblezone Member Posts: 4
    Picking up on deanie's comments, can anyone provide a comparison of driving/handling characteristics matching the Touring against the XLS or Limited? Is the noise and bump sensitivity significant in the Touring by itself, or is it only really noticable when compared to the other trim lines? Conversely, is an XLS that much softer through the twisties, or only when compared to the Touring?
  • jj kellyjj kelly Member Posts: 8
    Just bought LTD With VD & Cf out the door $33500.
    Looking forward to driving it.
  • rtimbortimbo Member Posts: 24
    I've been trying to get info about getting Sirius satellite radio installed in my XLS. No luck so far, but i came across this link for installing XM in a Camry. http://www.mceleney.com/Camry%20XM%20Radio.pdf

I would think that the procedure is similar.
    Hope this helps those of you who are considering a self-install of the Avalon kit.
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    Something is screwy. The brochure lists the front headroom for all 4 Avalon models at 38.8 inches, although the sunroof is optional in the XL and Touring, and standard in the XLS and Limited. I had always figured 1.5-2.0 inches less headroom for a sunroof. So if the Limited definitely has a sunroof and 38.8 inches of front headroom, why would they measure headroom in the XL with a sunroof when it's optional?
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    You're not factoring in the Toyota Dealers Advertising figure of 2.1% of invoice price, which would bring total invoice up to about $33,280. Many posts on TDA; seems to be a legitimate charge from Toyota passed on to dealers and thence to customers, just like the transporation charge.
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    ". I have read several reviews, but have found little reference to the NAV system that is offered. Past reviewers of the Toyota NAV system have been less than kind. Is the NAV system good?"

I have mixed emotions about mine. It isn't real intutive to use but as I use it more and learn it more it does seem to get better.

For example, on 03/01 I went from home to a Dr's. office 69 miles away. Our normal route is to get onto I-81 about .5 mile from the house. Take 81 S to exit 315 which is Va rte 7 East. Rte 7 to rte 267 which is a toll road, with less traffic and no stops(signals), 267 to exit 13 and then the Dr is about .5 miles.

The Nav system was set for the short route, I guess. It had me taking back country 2 lane roads for about 20 miles to get me onto rte 7 East. Then rte 7 past 267 continuing on rte 7 in Leesburg which has a lot of traffic and a lot of lights. Then it wanted to wind me thru more urban traffic to the office.

I ignored the system and got on 81 S anyway, it then wanted to send me down to I-66, I skipped that and took 7.

Long story short, it was a horrible mess!

The next day we had to make the same trip, I selected quick route, told it toll roads were OK and it worked just fine. I had to learn it but it doesn't make things easy.

I bought the Nav system because my wife doesn't navigate well at all. I've had to Mapquest directions for her to all our usual places. If she had to drive somewhere new w/o me available she'd be in a real mess. I've programmed in all of our usual locations but now need to refine them and nake sure I have the best route laid out.

Right now, I'm dissapointed in the system. I'll know more in 6 months though.
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    Being 6'5" I had issues with previous Toyotas with sunroof. 96 xls, 01 camry, 03 XLS. I was thinking that the no longer optional sunroof might kill my desire for a new Avalon, I wanted the XLS. When we did our test drives I was pleased to find that I don't have a problem with this new model's sunroof. Works out fine for me.

MikeS.
  • jl618jl618 Member Posts: 64
    I believe my decision whether or not to buy the nav system in the Avalon perhaps became a bit easier after reading Jeff's post and a recent experience.

Yesterday I pulled into the post office next to a couple in a 04 Camry with Nav. I asked them how they liked it. Both immediately responded they wished they hadn't gotten it. They used the term "not user friendly" numerous times. Their son (who owns an Acura with Nav) came over to help them. His response after fiddling with the system was the same, "NOT user friendly."

He did program "Home" for them. At least that was a start.

In fairness, perhaps the 05 Avalon nav system is much different, and perhaps the couple I talked to are technologically challenged. Then again, so is my wife. I can just picture her driving a hundred miles with only the "DISCLAIMER" page showing on the nav display.

I've made arrangements with one of the local Toyota dealers (Fleet sales of course) to sit down with the Nav manual as well as hands-on application in a new Avalon and spend whatever time I need to hopefully finalize our decision (Nav or Not).

I did just that recently in an 05 Odyssey. At that time I had a Garmin Street Pilot 2620 for comparison. The Odyssey nav is a well integrated system. I did find my arm getting tired though after about an hour reaching out for the touch screen. The resolution should have been better, but the 8" screen is nice and in a good location. A remote control like the Garmin has, would be really nice.

Other than the screen size, voice command (which I'm not sure I'd use that much) and overall integration of the Odyssey nav I prefer the Garmin. I second Jeff's additional comments.

The 2620 is very intuitive and takes very little time to master. I actually used it for several days before reading the manual. And, it is easy to take in the house and play/program on the kitchen table. My wife might like the Zagat review in the Odyssey nav though.

They both give voice instructions, although the 2620 speaker is at the 12V plug-in.

So, is Nav (adaptive cruise control is also included in the package) worth the $2500 invoice price? We'll see. I will be taking a cardboard template (2620 dimensions) along to see where the optimum mounting position might be IF I deem the Avalon nav undesireable for us.

Thanks Jeff for your fine post.
  • dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    First of all, I have owned my Limited for only several days and 150 miles, so my thoughts on the Toyota Nav may change as I get more famaliar with it. My wife owns a 2004 Honda Accord, V6 w/Nav, and my son owns the portable Garmin GPS which I have also used. I find the features and ease of use (so far) with the Honda such as the touch screen, more extensive speech commands such as simply saying things like "temperature 72" to change the temp to 72, "radio 96.9" to change the station to 96.9 FM and a number others. Again, as time goes on, however, I may find more features in the Limited. I will say, however, that I have used the Limited's routing and so far, found it to be very accurate. Regarding the portable Garmin, it is certainly less expensive, effective, but a much smaller screen. It will, nonetheless, do the job. The Garmin or any other portable unit is just not for me. After my experience with the Accord, I would never buy another car without a factory installed Nav. While During my new car search, I knew I wanted a Nav system, so it was not a negotiable item.

Regarding headroom: At 6'1", I have no issues what so ever in the Limited. Before I bought my Lexus GS300 two years ago, I the runner-up was the CTS, but I could not find any position where I felt comfortable with head room on any of the CTS's I tried. I still find it a bit odd at the number of people that realize the headroom issue only after they purchase a car with sunroofs. The good thing is that it is not an issue for most people on most makes and models.

pack8398 - Regarding XM: My wife has it in her Accord and although we used it for several months, we discontinued service because we found ourselves not using it (to each their own). On the Limited, I have the SAT button on my radio, but I will not be purchasing the kit (antenna, hardware). I am a bit dumbfounded why your mechanic would install the XM Kit without confirming your radio had the XM feature installed. Perhaps there is some way you can use XM without hitting the SAT button or perhaps your dealership just blew it and sold you something before thinking. If so, they should replace your radio, at no charge, with one that has the factory SAT button. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Regarding Egress: No issue at all. I do miss the feature on my Lexus where the steering wheel would raise on egress and ingress. Neat feature!

Regarding gas octane: Yes, the Limited will work OK with 87 octane, but as the manual states, the recommended octane is 91 or above, so that is what I will use. Yes, we all know the 91 octane will cost more, but with a car that list for $38K+, I am not going to sweat the extra few hundred dollars a year to keep my car running at manufactures recommendations. Again, to each their own.

Well, I'm on my way for a ride to the beach in Boston, where I'll sit in my car for a while and spend more time reading the owners manual.

Regards: Dan

2005 Limited
    - Blizzard Pear/Perforated Light Gray Leather
    - Nav
    - Remote Start
    - VSC
    - Spoiler
  • wuzfuzwuzfuz Member Posts: 12
    Rtimbo,
    No self-install for me; but, I did check with my local "Best Buys". They'll do it for $45 plus parts. It'll work through the existing audio controls on the Limited. It'll be a professional installation with all components hidden. And yes, the antenna does not have to be mounted on the trunk lid. Can anyone confirm/deny this "promise" by "Best Buys" or any other after-market installer?
  • barclay3barclay3 Member Posts: 90
    jj kelly...did that $33,500 include the sales tax?
  • tweakertweaker Member Posts: 30
    jeffcarp, do you recommend the Garmin 2610 over the Magellan Roadmate 500? I too left off the factory Nav and plan to purchase a portable for the same reasons as you list.
    Thanks
    I have never owned a Magellan but research this stuff regularly (I am a technology consultant). I have always owned Garmin's and have very, very little complaints about them. There are nice things about the Magellan, no question. Do NOT make the mistake of ordering one without seeing it in person. They are very different sizes and form factors. The remote control on the Garmin is irreplaceable to me. You can sit comfortably back in your seat with the Garmin tucked up on your dash and use it without touching the screen. Great feature. The maps both come from the same source. Garmin's map update cycle is 12 to 18 months, at which case you drop another $150 for maps, same as Magellan. One issue that I don't like about the Magellan, at least my last understanding of the issue, was that Magellan had to be used with "certified" memory cards, i.e., you had to buy them from them! Garmin uses stock CompactFlash that you can pick up anywhere. Better product or not, I just don't like doing business that way. And the Magellan, in my opinion, isn't a better device to justify supporting that business model.
    If I remember right from my test drive (my car is still 3 weeks out), there are 2 12VDC ports in the Avalon, both in the center console (one in the large compartment and one in the small compartment). Is that right? My question is, if I remember the way the large compartment closed, it was a hinge condition where the lid dropped down and latched. Is it possible to plug into the 12VDC port, run a small cord out of the large compartment but still get the lid to latch on the cord? I am trying to figure out how to get the kids DVD player to power up for a long road trip coming up. My GPS will take the port in the small compartment, and I remember how that one worked with the lid opening sideways.

Any thoughts?
    yes bottom line
  • analyticangelanalyticangel Member Posts: 83
    Great job jj
    Wher did you buy it and what color did you get Good luck with your new car!
  • johnijohni Member Posts: 43
    I didn't know that the defrosters were beefed up.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdrives/05avalon.htm
  • boatsmanboatsman Member Posts: 37
    Yes as it says in the manual this is intentional to help reduce the buffeting noise at some speeds.
  • psypsy Member Posts: 122
    Nice feed back on the nav's. I think honda/acura have nailed nav down pretty good. I just spoke with a buddy that has a g35 with nav. Hes not happy with his at all. The protables seem nice and being able to move them from car to car has its advantages.

I think Im going to look into a small windows ce handheld or very small tablet computer and gps options. I know this can be done alot cheaper than a factory nav and be much more useful and hidden under the arm rest. Hide the gps unit in a out of sight area and cable it up to the computer of choice.

I know alot of people are doing this to the gm system... northstar. They unhook the gps unit from the near worthless northstar unit, then they change the pinout and plug to fit there laptop or machine of choice.

This will give one all sorts of options, with the right cell company there could be your moble internet connect, dvd play back and all sortd of goodies. In the Tulsa area I could even do a wireless connect with cherokee wireless.

Being a computer geek of sorts,, this could be big fun!!!

psy
  • ronharvronharv Member Posts: 51
    A couple of weeks ago I grumbled about my inability to avoid a slight jerk from a standing stop on an XL I test drove. Then a week later on a test drive with a different '05 Avalon the initial acceleration was as consistently smooth as on my own '03 XL. My conclusion was that different Avalons will feature their own characteristics, so buyers should test drive before signing the final papers. Now from canadiandriver.com I read: "My only complaint with this engine is that there is almost too much torque on take-off, and without the optional traction control . . . it's easy to spin the front tires, particularly on wet or slippery surfaces." This driver apparently experienced what I did on my first test drive. But I probably found it a lot more annoying than he did, enough so that if the Avalon I ordered replicates my first test drive, I won't accept it, mainly because what I so much enjoy about my '03 is its smoothness in so many respects.
  • abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    Prime Time:

I could be wrong but go again to that site, click on winter tires and then see if they try to sell you steel wheels. I do remember them doing this and it is in their own interest as well.

Alternatively, call your local Toyota dealership, albeit very expensive, and ask them how much a Toyota (not really made by Toyota but OEM) steel wheel would cost for your Avalon.

In addition, do a search on ebay. I am sure you will turn up steel wheels in 16" diameter, not sure about 17".

Let me know.

abfisch
  • barclay3barclay3 Member Posts: 90
    I bought the Limited with the same options as you and here is what I paid: $33,206 (selling price) + $1,992.36 (PA tax) + $122.50 (tags) for a total of $35,320.86 on a car with a MSRP of $34,929. How did you do it and where did you get it??
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Did the second Avalon you test drove have traction control ? That might explain the difference in acceleration.
  • douglas1douglas1 Member Posts: 130
    The dealer just called an my Phantom Gray Limited with graphite interior is here and will be ready to pick up in about an hour. I can't wait. . . . . . .
  • larryt22larryt22 Member Posts: 125
    Just curious, I have not heard any mention of squeaks and rattles. The 02-05 Camry sedans that are built on the same assembly line have always came with many squeaks and rattles as standard equipment. I figure this must be a design issue or Toyota would have corrected the problem by now. Most of those squeaks and rattles in my 04 Camry seem to be temperature sensative. On a nice warm sunny day, the car is as quiet as can be, but get a cold overcast day, especially when the temperature has quickly dropped, and the car will have 4-5 different, sometimes very obnoxious squeaks and rattles. If you follow the Camry forums, you will notice that the squeaks and rattles get talked about nearly as much as the hesitation problem. Luckily I have never experienced the hestitaion problem, but I put up with the squeaks and rattles pretty consistently during the winter. I just wondered if any of this carries over to the new Avalon platform which is "loosely based" on the 02-05 Camry platform.
    Thanks for the feedback.

My past experience with Dealers is that advertising is very negotiable--depending on salesperson, salesmanager, supply, demand, etc. I also have found that if you offer a reasonable amount above dealers invoice, e.g. $1000, the advertising charge will disappear. In otherwords, so long as the final number allows the dealer to make a reasonable profit, he/she won't worry about ancillary charges, e.g advertising.
    I been going to the same dealer for years, also had a $500.incentive. Color Phantom Gray w/Graphite.
    I noticed that several persons are negotiating and purchasing on the basis of an amount "below MSRPprice." In my view, a better approach is to check the dealers invoice price--available on Edmunds, Kelly, AAA--and negotiate upwards from there. As an example, the difference between Toyota Limited Dealers Invoice and MSRP is $4026. So if a salesperson offers you $2000 below MSRP, he/she is still making a profit of $2026. Unless you get a really substantial discount from MSRP, I think you are better off working from Dealers Invoice.

I'd be interested in other views.
  • manatoc5manatoc5 Member Posts: 19
    I have owned the 2005 Avalon LTD for a week. If you work with the average mpg digital read out on the dash, you can average 25-26 mpg between highway and city. But, this is accomplished by EPA Guidelines, drive 55 on expressway and dont gun it in city driving. I filled up 3 days ago and between city and highway about 50/50 equal,
    and 1/3 tank used I average 26 mpg so far
  • mikerochmikeroch Member Posts: 69
    According to the brochure we got the other day, there are two interior colours available in the XLS - Graphite and Ivory.

I think the one we test drove was the darker (although not dark), more grey Graphite colour (the exterior was black), and that the "Ivory" was lighter and a bit closer to a "tannish" colour.

Maybe dshimkat if you would post some pics of your Ivory interior, it would help me.

Thanks again,
    Mikeroch
  • williamtwilliamt Member Posts: 39
    "Most of those squeaks and rattles in my 04 Camry seem to be temperature sensative. On a nice warm sunny day, the car is as quiet as can be,"

That is one of the few complaints I have had about my '02 XL Avalon. There is a buzz in the dashboard area on cold days, until the interior gets really warmed up. It mostly occurs during start and low-speed acceleration, and is not very loud. Mostly it's just a curiosity, particularly given that Toyota is so good at careful design and construction. I hope my new Limited doesn't do that, but we'll see (at least three more weeks to go...I am getting impatient).
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    Just returned from my local Toyota dealership where I was able to sit inside a new Avalon XLS but was not able to test drive the car due to the fact the dealer had only the one display car on the showroom floor and none available for driving. I was able to test the JBL Synthesis system and the navigation system.

Generally, the fit and finish of the car were good but there were a few significant interior disappointments. One of the "little doors" which conceal the audio and navigation controls, specifically the lower one containing the navigation controls, did not work in that it would not open without pushing/tapping it numerous times and even then would not completely open without manually being pulled forward. I can see where these things are going to be problematical. Ergonomically, I do not like them as they delay access to vital controls, especially if they do not work properly.

On the subject of the navigation system, the screen is too small, does not have a touch screen function, is non-intuitive and generally is inferior to some others on the market, particularly that on the Acura TL.

As for the JBL Synthesis audio system, while not a bad system it is also not an exceptional one. The speaker clarity could be better and the "surround sound" digital signal processing feature in my opinion does not compare to a true 5.1 surround system. I was generally disappointed in the quality of the audio and expected better.

Otherwise, the interior is a pleasant place to be.

As the model choices for the Avalon in Canada do not include the Limited, a number of the interesting and useful features of that car are simply not available, such as the laser cruise control, acoustic windshield, ventilated front seats with driver's seat cushion extension, power rear sunshade, and the Smart Key system. HID headlamps are not available on the XLS, although they are on the Touring model, but then you lose both the vehicle stability control and the traction control. What Toyota could have been thinking when they omitted these essential safety features from the Touring model I do not know.

Price wise, both the Touring and XLS models are overpriced when compared to their US counterparts when taking into consideration the exchange rates in the two currencies. The comparably equipped XLS is US$34,430 which is at current exchange rates, the equivalent of CDN$42,460. Yet, the Canadian XLS retails for CDN$46,825, which is more than four thousand Canadian dollars more! To my thinking, this is an excessive differential.
  • buckeye6buckeye6 Member Posts: 8
    I was very dissappointed with my XLS because of road noise. Yesterday, I had it undercoated/soundproofed(their terminology). It did work. Helped a bunch. I am much happier now. Cost $168.54. Worth it to me. Still need to work on wind noise, but the dealer will handle that.

Just threw this in to let you know, there is help available.
  • star51star51 Member Posts: 17
    http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/roadtests/firstdrive/2005/toy- - ota.avalon/05.toyota.avalon.bdg.500.jpg

In the above photo (front view of 2005 Avalon), what is the black rectangular shape next to the fog lamp on the passenger side? Note it is only on this side of the car.
  • tassotasso Member Posts: 33
    Yes you can, as I do the same thing for my sons dvd player. It will latch shut.

WOW stopped by our Toyota dealer in SD. I bought the first Avalon in SD 3 weeks ago. They got 2 in last week - already sold and gone. They have pre-sold over 80% of their next allocation, and they say they are primarily selling LTDs. They have a black touring on the floor. They sold a grey one last week. I loved the gunmetal exterior with the grey interior lighter and dark wood. I do not like the black on black on this touring. Remember I choose black on tan in my LTD. I think Tourings and they confirmed it, are selling slower due to lack of heated seats and than lack of VSC.

Overall, I am happy with my deal.

Still love this car everyday.

Why no coin holder?
  • tassotasso Member Posts: 33
    Opening for laser cruise control.
  • solara00solara00 Member Posts: 81
    I don't know, but I wonder if it is the sensor for the Dynamic Laser Cruise Control? I think Toyota has a little video clip showing the sensor sweeping the area in front of the car to determine when to slow down or speed up based upon the distance to the car in front of you.

Admittedly, I'm just guessing.
  • solara00solara00 Member Posts: 81
    Thanks Tasso, your answer came through before I posted my guess.
  • thereuarethereuare Member Posts: 3
    I want to thank everyone who posted in response to me previously. I just wanted to share my experiences from the No. VA area.

First I was shopping for a limited, and the dealership had the color I wanted Phantom Grey. It looks great in that color. However, a few things.

1. I test drove the car and pick up was smooth and fluid. On a real curvey road (Lots of S turns, I found for me I had to watch out because the car was so floaty/responsive, based on what I was used to, that it was easy for me to over steer.

2. The NAV system was less than desirable. You had to keep hitting control buttons on the console to direct input and selection on the screen. The NAV had trouble in finding Columbia SC, and reported it with a region name in paren's, and it took the salesman an I about 10 minutes to realize you had to select the little tab arrow to scroll the line over to see the state.

3. The price for the car was 37,500.00 no deals no reduction. With state tax it would have come in delivered at 39,000.00. I asked the dealer if he would take a deposit and hold it over night until I could make it back with my wife.
    He said I would have to buy the car, and then if my wife did not want it they would refund my money because I had a 3 day return right.

I left and went down the road to the acura dealership and test drove the TL. It certainly had a different feel, and though responsive did not have that floatyness of the Avalon.

Also the difference in the NAV is night and day, touch screen, easy controls, found Columbia SC right away. Mapped a different route, 1 hour shorter than the Avalon, the NAV was was thumbs up better. Price delivered with tax, 35000.00

In thinking about it I did not need rain sensitive wipers, or a electronic shade screen for the back window, or enhanced lighting around the moonroof. All things considered the sound system was comparable. Very comfortable, but not as roomy in the back, or trunk.

My earlier question about the size of the Avalon, In a back up test, I did find that with my reduced depth perception it was a problem. Luckily I stopped just short of breaking out a window panel of the show room.

As you can guess I went with the Acura. It had proven quality, and fit me better. This forum definitely helped and I thank everyone for their posts.
  • star51star51 Member Posts: 17
    Thanks, Tasso and Solara00. Hope for the 2006 model they'll consider putting it in the center for better symmetry.
    Does this include tax? Do you have dynamic cruise, navigation, and velocity stabilization?

Thanks,

pricecutter