Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• jordan7jordan7 Member Posts: 77
    Just got back from my dealer in the Md, Wash, Va area where I purchased the Platinum 7 year, 100,000 mile, 0 deduct extended warranty. got it for $1000 after showing the $985 price from the Mass. Toyota dealer. It seems you can easily deal for a Limited in my area if you just know how to negotiate and push the right buttons. I think that is true in any area and all the talk about MSRP is bogus.
  • pricecutterpricecutter Member Posts: 49
    Hi Barclay,

Another defect pointed out by several people was the rattling of the passenger safety belt, hitting the side of the car. Several suggestions were given for correction. But clearly this has been a problem for some, including me.
  • tweakertweaker Member Posts: 30
    I tinted mine - won't be without that.
    Looks great on the pearl.
  • tweakertweaker Member Posts: 30
    barclay, 1000 miles and absolutely nothing wrong.
    Love it!
  • analyticangelanalyticangel Member Posts: 83
    There has been some discussion as to the XLS and Limited seats vs cloth and the term, "Leather trimmed" I wrote Toyota to clarify and here is the response I got:
    We appreciate the opportunity to address your inquiry.

The term "leather-trimmed seats" refers to the fact that the surface of the seat that is in contact with the occupant is leather, however, the "back" of the seat that does not contact with the seat occupant is vinyl.

SO>>>>>>> The bottom line is where I am sitting and my body touches is genuine leather Living in Florida it needs to be cloth or Genuine Leather or you would be stuck to the seat (vinyl)
    My Avalon is on order and I am enjoying reading all the other posts
    THANKS
  • teereevesteereeves Member Posts: 69
    What email address did you use to write Toyota?

Thanks,
    Tee
    to email toyota go to

http://toyota.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/toyota.cfg/php/enduser/home.php

and click on Email Toyota
  • von1von1 Member Posts: 3
    I drove my wife crazy test driving new cars over the past month. We started with the domestics and were a hair away from buying the 2005 Volvo S60 AWD. The car was lacking some of the creature comforts and I just couldn't stomach paying $32500 just to settle for a Volvo. Besides, they are comming out with a new S60 in 07. Anyway, I drove my wife so crazy that she was willing to let me purchase the Lexus GS for $45K, but I came across the new Avalon. I did purchase the limited in blizzard white all decked out including the XM radio for $34,600. The guy before me payed $38k. I saw his purchase agreement. The car is an amazing ride, but I will have to wait about 4 weeks to accept delivery. ONE CONCERN THOUGH: The XM radio antenna is a small black box (1"x1"x1/2") that is mounted on the top of the trunk-it looks silly. I bet they will have a style change in the 06 models to correct this problem.
  • bushkabushka Member Posts: 19
    Regarding the Avalon Limited you purchased for $34,600: What was the MSRP sticker? Sounds like you got an excellent deal on a great car. Bushka
  • von1von1 Member Posts: 3
    MSRP was $38,8?? i believe. I went in armed with printed www.kbb.com invoice numbers and told them I could get the car around $500 above invoice from Carmax. The manager told me I did a very good job of negotiating-thanks to kelly blue book. I could of done a better job I think. However, I was well informed of the supply issue and waiting lists. So, I setteled for $34,600 + 2 free oil changes.
  • lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    My dealer tinted the windows on my Cassis Pearl Limited and it looks great! I wouldn't have a car without tinted windows.
  • jmarlinjmarlin Member Posts: 7
    I've had my XLS Avalon 2 weeks, great car to drive. No problems with the plastic doors for the radio and nav system.
  • gschultz3gschultz3 Member Posts: 134
    I have 400 miles on my new Avalon LTD and have not found any defects. I was surprised that the problems pointed out on this forum were not a problem for me:

- Seat comfort - excellent, 6'4" 230 pounds
    - Difficulty closing dash doors - none
    - Noise - none, sometimes forget it's running
    - Rough ride - too soft for me
    - Navigation - many more functions than Infinity,
    Nissan, BMW - easy to use, haven't programed voice yet but it works
    - Handling snow - excellent
    - Quality interior materials - above average for price range.
    - Sun shield noise - none
    - Windshield wipers - great
    - Rattling seat belts - none

I'm sure I will have some problems in the future but this car has met all of my expectations and more.

Toyota has the same marketing problem as other mid level car dealers. The top of the line cars in their lineup do not get special luxury car attention - gold logos on keys, leather manual cases, fancy brochures, delivery to my home, etc. If thats what costs 10 - 20 thousand more I should be happy with the Avalon.
    When I read it I didn't understand where there was a dial that could fall out. I had visions of a gaping hole in the dash not a tiny hole where the "dimmer knob" was. Obviously he wanted his readers to think that something like the speedometer fell out.
    It's always good to get the best deal you can but the loss you take after you drive the car home due to depreciation makes how much you might have saved look pretty small. It sounds like some people want the car companies to put a value meter in their cars so everyone can be unhappy. If 1-2 thousand dollars is that important buy a used 2005 Avalon as soon as you can and save $10,000 ...... thats a good financial decision.

I think the new Avalon will continue to sell very well throughout this year so everyone waiting for the 2006 model to get a much better deal might have to wait for the 2007 model!
  • gladiator99gladiator99 Member Posts: 104
    Just picked up my new XLS in blizzard pearl. My dealer found one for me and we got it within a week. Fantastic car, great ride, excellent handling, not to mention the styling and power.
    In western Canada we have to pay their access price which is full list price $45,102.00 plus taxes. I envy buyers in the US where some dealers will negotiate from cost up. Unfortunately we can't buy an Avalon limited here in Canada. Hope you get your car soon, although it's worth the wait. Good luck.
  • just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    I tried to gently remove my dimmer knob, couldn't do it and didn't push to hard. It's great. By the way my Bridge/Tarz tires are great, silent and nice ride, so I won't trade them for the Michelins. The seat belts make noise?? If you mean when you take them off and they hit the side of the door, same in the 04 and 02 of mine, and that's understandable not a quality issue.. If not that then I don't know what anyone is talking about. Not with mine, they don't rattle or anything. Any car, new, 2 years old or whatever can have an item or two go wrong, and they are mostly correctable. Why we get hung up on this stuff is crazy, just take it in and it will be fixed, it's not terminal. The dimmer knob if it did fall out can happen at any time if it wasn't put in properly, it has nothing to do with a new car, just some one overlooked it. Things like this happen every day with any car company. Lately Mercedes isn't doing that well, their quality has really gotten worse and they are trying to fix it. Toyota maintains a great quality program. The reviews are outstanding for the really important thing of this Avalon, the comfort ride quality, roominess and quietness and smooth powerful engine, etc. Okay, enough said about this by me Read the reviews of the guys and gals who mostly have said in answer here, no problems so far and that includes me. Good night. Happy Easter.
  • jll1jll1 Member Posts: 12
    Where is the gps antenna (for the navigation system) located?

In which window(s) are the AM/FM radio antennas located?
  • jll1jll1 Member Posts: 12
    Reference my post # 3464, while recently in a Best Buy in the Phoenix area I noticed Best Buy now installs Madico's Proline 3D window tint. According to Proline's web site, the benefit of the Proline 3D is that it will not interfere with antenna reception as opposed to some other tints.

It comes with a limited lifetime guarantee, whatever that means.

It is not inexpensive (upwards of $300 installed) for front & back as opposed to a $165 dealer quote for their typical tint.

Has anyone with tinted windows experienced any increased radio and/or nav reception concerns?

Perhaps it is just another non-issue. But, as one can surmise, most consider auto window tinting mandatory for surviving the Phoenix sun.
    See post 1822 Southeast Toyota has its own finance, warranty and extended contract service not only for Toyota but is used by other manufacturers as well.

I know there have been many posts about extended warranty but my question is for anyone that lives in SET area NC,SC,GA,AL ,Fl
    Have you purchased an extended warranty?
    If so is it different than the 7year/100,000 other have talked about and cost or opinions THANKS!
    IT'S A NON-ISSUE. MINE HAS COST $150 AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE RADIO BECAUSE OF TINT COVERING THE REAR IF IT'S DONE PROPERLY.
    "Re: reply to 1822 SET Distributors [sbell4] by analyticangel"
    I never had an auto warranty, maybe I just lucked out. From what I read and discussed once with a warranty representative I knew, You can always get the warranty if you want one just before Toyota's warranty runs out, why spend the money in advance. JMHO. Good Luck.
  • ronnronn Member Posts: 398
    Good morning Forum,
    I went on line this morning, and what do I see first. Edmunds 10 most wanted cars for 2005. You know, I don't know where they get their information from, but I was very surprised to once again find a bias list of NAME PLATE cars!!
    While I know that is my opinion, I drove many of those cars, and that's why I have the Avalon.
    I find it hard to stomach, that they do not read reviews of problems, especially with the Chrysler 300. They also don't care that Chrysler has one of the worst resale values !!
    While emails and opinions were welcome to respond to the MOST WANTED, I wrote a doosey!!!
    They do not go by performance, so that's up to all of us. While they choose to think what is the MOST WANTED, I know that you will agree with me that we know what we have with the Avalon. Looks, style, and performance that Toyota is noted for!!
    I hope others will join me in letting them know just how un-educated their MOST WANTED cars for 2005 are, and that they don't have any idea what the new Avalon is like. It's kind of like the other Avalon review which was totally stupid!!! If they want to do a quality review, let one of us do it!!
    HAPPY EASTER TO A GREAT FORUM!!!!!

RONN
    In reply to whether it is prudent to purchase an extended warrant, I too have never bought one. However, with all the new innovations on the Limited, it could be very costly to repair after the initial warranty has expired. I keep my cars for at least 7 years and since I was able to negotiate a reasonable price at the time I purchased my car, I felt it wise to do so. Later, you will pay more and not be in a position of strength to negotiate a reasonable price. With today's interest rates, you certainly won't miss the $1,000 you spend for the platinum warranty.
  • alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    Read this guys. Under $30K. David is aiming for Goliath...

http://www.hyundaiazera.com/
  • clipper1clipper1 Member Posts: 70
    Well folks -- Since the 2006 Initial Order Acceptance month for the new '06 Avalon is:

05/10/05

I just re-negotiated my '05 deal (car arriving Monday) They will have it sold today to another buyer -- They keep my $500 deposit and will re-apply the same for the new '06 Limited at the same price over invoice) (I realize Toyota might increase the price $500 -- But, to me the '06 VIN is worth it.)

I am over-joyed.

(Initial delivery month for the '06 is a proposed: 08/05)
  • beetle1beetle1 Member Posts: 5
    Perhaps someone involved in the order process (mackabee?) can explain what happens when you reach a deal on price and the dealer does not have the car you want in his stock. Is the request for a car assigned a "request number" so that other dealers may respond ? - if no other dealer has the car, is there and "order number" assigned by the factory and an estimated build date generated? Can the dealer provide a reasonably close estimated delivery date? How can the customer know what is happening relative to the order?
  • figaromdfigaromd Member Posts: 18
    Why the name 'Limited'? I would never buy anything that could be potentially construed as being 'Limited' in any way.

But that's just me.

:-D
    looks very much like my 98 Avalon XLS. with my Platium warranty for my 05 Limited, I feel I have a very much superior car, more powerful engine, more comfortable and upscale interior plus the Toyota name with the best warranty in the industry.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    I thought Toyota lost that "access price" fight in court a couple years ago. They were told they could keep it, but dealers would still be able to sell for less if they wanted to. In other words, they can't force or punish a dealer who wishes to negotiate vehicle prices with a customer (it's against the law). To my knowledge that's why "access pricing" never made it to Ontario. Hopefully I can find the article. Looked at one this weekend... what a beautiful car.
  • grozagroza Member Posts: 89
    First washed gorgeous black XLS in the FL sun. I know, I know - the first of many.

Beaucoup water spots on gleaming blackness. Ayyy yyyiii yyyiii!

Scrubbed & scrubbed - NG
    Maguire's Polish - NG
    Window cleaner - NG
    Sandpaper - maybe last resort?

Remembered old teenager trick - spritz 50-50 white vinegar & water; quickly wipe w/damp cloth (dampened w/fresh H20). - VOILA! End of dreaded mineral deposits.

Let's see - 5 washes/week x 52 weeks/yr x 3 year ownership = 780 washes! Any paint left? Maybe needs a good carnauba wax job right now, just in case.

CAUTION TO CANADIANS: Do not touch tongue to any exposed vehicle metal surfaces during water spot removal (July & August excluded).

Groza
  • figaromdfigaromd Member Posts: 18
    MY 98 AVALON IS VERY ROUGH OVER BUMPS AND ROAD IMPERFECTIONS. ARE ALL AVALONS OF THIS VINTAGE LIKE THIS?? WHAT CAN BE DONE TO IMPROVE RIDE QUALITY?
  • photoquestsphotoquests Member Posts: 7
    Why the name 'Limited'

Limited = Limited Release?

I am amazed at the adoption of the various terms for cars among the manufacturers. SE (Special Edition?) XLS (Excellence?) XLT (Xtra Long Truck, just kidding). And now Dodge and Ford with 300 or Five Hundred (at least they spelled it, very clever) numbering scheme like the European models. It all goes to show you that we are influenced by marketing and name tags more than we realize. Anyway I'm getting a Limited because it is top-of-the-line just like every other manufacture's is; hey why don't they call it the Avalon TOTL!
    Figaro (MD?):

In order of best results (#1 is best):

1. Take the bus
    2. Avoid rough roads
    3. Run 15 psi in tires
    4. Take Valium

Be sure to let us know results.

Groza
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Ford Five Hundred and Chrysler 300 date way back in both manufacturer's histories to the 50's or 60's long before the Europeans had much of any foothold in the US.

I agree in most cases the names/numbers are marketing gimmicks, but such is life.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    But at least the Europeans denote engine size by numbering schemes. The Ford five-hundred does not have a 5.0 liter engine as far as I know.
    : )
    Mackabee
    Strange, but after reading that review one of my previous Avalon customers came in yesterday to get another one. I turned him over to one of our top salespersons but couldn't resist going over the car with him and first thing I did was to try and remove the dimmer control. Not a chance didn't even budge. Anyway TJ's wife is very happy with her new Avalon.
    Mackbee
  • norskeynorskey Member Posts: 9
    What refinements or changes would you like to see in the 2006 Avalon?

I have a few suggestions:

1. Re-work the dash. Eliminate or replace the cheap-looking silver colored plastic.
    2. Eliminate the doors on the radio & tape player. Bad idea to begin with and possibly problematic from what I've seen. (I predict that the dashboard doors will be dropped within 2 years)
    3. Add some protective exterior side molding. It looks fine as is, but also looks like it might be a magnet for door dings and dents.
    4. Offer more premium (extra cost optional) exterior paint colors that rival the sophistication of Lexus colors. Norskey
  • mikerochmikeroch Member Posts: 69
    Although not an owner (yet?) norskey, perhaps I could add the following request for 2006:

MAKE THE LIMITED MODEL AVAIALBE IN THE GREAT WHITE NORTH!!!

:)
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    There happens to be a very famous race run in Indianapolis every year, which I believe is probably the origin of the Ford Five Hundred name.

Way back in the 50's and 60's, the cars running in Nascar actually used the sheet metal of the street cars, though even then probably what was inside shared little with the street models.
    On May 10th you can order a '06 Avalon.
  • tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    One of my local dealerships called City Toyota (near San Francisco) has an advertisement for "All New 2006 Toyota Avalons at $2,000 off of MSRP".

I wonder if the ad is a typo. Thanks for the comments about the '06s. Its best to wait off.
    Not a chance of these happening although if you check out the color codes between Lexus and Toyota they do share a lot of the same colors.
    Mackabee
  • jkalojkalo Member Posts: 4
    I have an 05 Limited on order with a build date of 3/28 and a delivery date around 4/4 - 4/15. I've read with interest the discussion of the 06 being available later this year. Mackabee wrote the history of changes in model years, and said something about the second year WOULD have some accessory changes/additions/deletions. I'm weighing whether I should cancel and opt for the 06.

The item I wish was included on the Avalon is BLUETOOTH technology. A friend has it on his TL and it is incredible! What changes from 05 to 06 do you see? Do you think BLUETOOTH would be added to 06 considering other Toyota/Lexus models out now? Thanks Josh
    Tina squared:

Maybe not a typo, but look out, baby baby.

Is it tied to finance through dealer? Oh, boy.
    Does it include the infamous $699 "Toyoguard"?
    What's the dealer "destination" fee? Grab your butt.

GrozaGroza

ps - Ask if Bluetooth is available. When you find out, let me know what it is.
    Well, I only made the comment about pricing. I think I should take a remedial English course because I never heard of Toyotaguard or bluetooth. However, I do know that I checked with 3 SF Bay Area dealers and they each had about 7 Avalongs on the lot.
    That is why - -- You must know the exact invoice cost and negotiate from invoice.

And do not pay sticker $699 for ToyoGuard ... OR ... pay the ridiculous local dealer Ad fee.

P.S. Toyoguard invoice is $129.

For those of you waiting for your '05 (like I had) -- Just roll over your deal to the '06 -- That is if you don't mind the wait.
    Keep number 2. Keep the doors on the radio and CD player. I love them and they will not break in my car, I'm not a Neanderthal.
    Macabee, I told you, I couldn't get mine off either. Sounds like it was a fluke or he was looking to write something bad.
    tina squared:

You say "However, I do know that I checked with 3 SF Bay Area dealers and they each had about 7 Avalongs on the lot."?

Wow. 7 Avalongs. In San Francisco no less.

Well, good luck.

Groza
    I agree with your comments. I will check into the details further about the SF/Bay Area pricing, and I am personally waiting for the 2006. I will probably order one next month.

I did not realize that some others who post here are so sensitive.