Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• jnazarajnazara Member Posts: 10
    sounds impressive and will be cheaper than an avalon i suspect..think any prospective avalon buyers will be taken by hyundai? will hyundai still offer the 100,000 mile warranty?
  • jordan7jordan7 Member Posts: 77
    toyota had a TSP (technical service bullatin) several years ago re the shock mounts. i had toyota change them at no charge but it was still under the 3 year, 36,000 warranty. I had the rack also changed at 85,000 miles. toyota paid for the new rack and i paid the $500 labor since it was well out of the warranty. ck it out.
  • just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    XT4 Protection Pkg,Toyo Guard (PIO)is $159.00 on invoice, not $129.00. The MSRP for this one is $619.00. The XT7 $699.00 MSRP Toyoguard invoice price is $231.00. Keeping the facts straight.
    Who ever posted that seems to have the facts wrong. I just had a lengthy conversation with Toyota Corporate. They tell me that is untrue and a rumor. They said since the 05 was introduced later than usual, the 06 won't even appear in showrooms in September. More like the end of October. Just trying to keep the facts straight as I was just advised.
  • ronnronn Member Posts: 398
    Hey there...I'm sorry to say that there is NO HYUNDAI that can come close to a Toyota!!!!!!
    I would not begin to compare the Avalon to even their newest car that you had a web site to.
    While it might look okay, it is not the same. I know someone with a Sonata, and it rides like a truck!!!!
    I understand that Limited means they will only produce a certain amount. That is what I was told by a salesman. Many cars have Limited models. I have a freind own owns a Limited Jeep.
    Hope this will help.
  • barclay3barclay3 Member Posts: 90
    AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH !!!!!

My dealer can't find a limited Cassis without a NAV system. I order it the end of February. They are going to try again next week with the factory and even if it is a go then it will be at least another 4 weeks after that meaning May before I get it. Anyone else with the same problem??

What to do? What to do?
    norskey... I think the cover over the radio is awesome, and that's what my friends think is so cool about the car. It is something different. There have been no problems with those doors. If people take care of them, and don't slam them, Im sure they will last. I like the dashboard. I like the sleek line across. Everyone goes to all these dials today..and I also think it makes it different looking. I do not think molding would look good on this car. It's design is that of the BMW 5 series, which doesn't either. I really don't like molding.I think it looks cheap!!This is just my opinion...I just wanted you to know I like it the way it is!!!
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    Was that the Toyota customer service line, or do you have powerful inside friends in the Toyota hierarchy? ;-) . Just wondering about the credibility of your info. One source for the August 2005 intro for the 2006 Avalon was that post linking to a major fleet sales/leasing company, which said 2006s would arrive on the lots in August. I would think they'd have a vested interest in accuracy if they're brokering fleet-sized numbers of cars to customers and want to maintain their credibility. Personally, I'm hoping it is October and not August.
    Here's Macabee's earlier post on the 5 year cycle:

"Since Toyota went to a 5 year model year change cycle this is what you can expect:
    1st year introduction
    2nd year no changes other than maybe adding or dropping unpopular options
    3rd year Refresh which means slight changes to headlights, taillights, and grille
    4th year same as 3rd year
    5th year all the options listed on brochures are finally available.
    Cycle starts over and new re-design."

I took it to mean adding popular options (like VSC) to other Avalon trim lines like the Touring, and deleting unpopular options (like the ugly XM antenna), but not adding something completely new to Avalons, like parking sensors. It could use a little clarification, though. How about it Mac? what can be expected in year 2 of the Avalon cycle (i.e., 2006)?
    Ronn, I agree with you. Many of the new expensive cars don't have it. This molding thing however is like beating a dead horse over and over again. The doors are beautiful to look at. If I have to get to my radio dials if not controlling things from my steering wheel, I than close the door. It's neat and sleek and keeps the dust away. A simple and refined look. Ronn, don't you have the same feeling when looking at the top of the dash how nice it is, the color and line? I love it. I don't know why someone posts the Hyundai here. Are they trying to tell us something when it doesn't compare to the Avalon no matter how it looks. By the way the design is nothing. JMHO.
    JUST ME ......Amen to that post and Happy Easter!
  • clipper1clipper1 Member Posts: 70
    Go to:

http://www.donlen.com/buildstart_toyota.asp

Your Toyota dealer is blowing smoke.

Mine will take my '06 order on or about May 10th
    Once again I just spoke with corporate and they said its not true about the August date and they can't dispel every rumor. They said maybe some 06 vehicles might arrive in August to some major fleet sales/leasing company, but not the Avalon. They said they are savvy enough to know the Avalon was introduced later than usual and they aren't in the business of shooting themselves in the foot. That seems to make sense to me. October is more like it and that will eventually be posted on their web site. Thats all I can report from what I was told. People have to believe what they believe, I believe them. It made no sense in August. In fact it makes sense if you figure as follows if they were to hit their sales goal of 85,000 2005 Avalons. I think at one point they were speaking of producing about 285 cars a day. They started manufacturing them in December. So lets assume they gear up to produce 315 cars a day. December through August production is 9 months, 270 days (7 days a week) is roughly 85,050 Avalons. Perhaps they can gear up to producing 400 cars a day the average being the 315. I don't know if they work 7 day weeks, or how many shifts, and the 285 was a real figure at one point. Anyway as a guide it seems justifiable they couldn't reach there goal of 85,000 Avalons if they were to stop production of the 05 in May or even June. So it does seem to me October is more feasible and probably correct, unless beginning of Cotober happens? I did ask if the price would go up based on the Yen to the dollar being so low, that decision hasn't been made and won't till later on depending what they take out or add and dollar to Yen, steel prices, rubber increase due to oil prices etc. Thats all I know. Good Luck. Happy Easter everyone, I will call it a night. Enjoy.
  • teereevesteereeves Member Posts: 69
    My Comments:
    In July 2004, I had predicted what the redesigned flagship should have, receiving some of the top technologies from fellow Toyotas, here it is :
    '04 Prius - Smart Entry and Start
    '04 Prius - Voice-Activated DVD Navigation with BlueTooth Technology for hands-free phone use.
    '04 Solara - Tire Pressure Warning System
    '04 Solara - 5 speed Sequential Automatic Transmission
    '04 Sienna - Parking Assist
    '04 Sienna - Dynamic Laser Cruise Control

Well this flagship missed a few of those technologies, here they are:
    '04 Prius - Voice-Activated DVD Navigation with BlueTooth Technology for hands-free phone use.
    '04 Solara - Tire Pressure Warning System
    '04 Sienna - Parking Assist

I really love to have the top 2 (Bluetooth and TPMS) from the missed list, I don't care to much about the Parking Assist feature. I will not be buying the 2005, hopefully they will add the 2 missing features I care about in the 2006 version of the flagship.

I resently seen Toyota magazine advertisement of the Avalon, with these words in the advertisement:
    The perfect car for this re-imagined life?
    The re-imagined Avalon,
    where all our best has come together,
    making anything possible.

The "where all our best has come together" is not a true statement, because if it was true, the missing items from above would have been included, I supposed this is what marketing is all about, not telling the whole truth.

Their Response:
    Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
    We apologize you are dissatisfied with the new re-designed 2005 Toyota Avalon.

We make every effort to manufacture a quality product by researching, testing, and constantly monitoring performance. Consumer opinion and perception also play an active role in our ongoing efforts to lead the automobile industry in quality, innovation, styling, and reliability.

It is through communications such as yours that we become aware of the reactions and expectations of our customers.

Your interest in Toyota is appreciated.

Tee
  • pricecutterpricecutter Member Posts: 49
    I read earlier discussions on the navigation system--pros and cons. It has taken me considerable time, and I still haven't mastered it completely. Wouldn't it have been great if Toyota had supplied a miniature device (size of a small calculator) that could be used at home and enabled buyers to simulate the same commands that are used in the real NAV program. This would eliminate the worry of trying to figure things out while you're in the car.
    The Navigation manual is helpful, but a device would have been more practical and useful. I'm expecting some nasty responses to this suggestion,e.g. "the system is easy, and you're just stupid.: But that's a risk I'll take.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    You got it right PMcB. I don't have any hard facts yet but I would guess the VSC/TRAC will be available as an option on the Touring and XL. Maybe bluetooth and parking assist sensors added also as an option. It's too early to tell since the car is selling so well. As far as the 06's coming out in August I have not seen anything on that either in the new model year launch plan whereas the Hybrid Highlander will be out in June, the 06 Solara will be here in a couple of weeks. Rav4 will be out next year around January and have a V6 engine. The Echo and Celica will be gone after this model year, in fact most dealers are not even bothering ordering any since the Scion tC is taking all Celica customers in now and the xA is taking Echo customers. The replacement for the Echo will be the Yaris which is sold in Europe and should have been the Echo all along here in the US. But I'm getting ahead of myself now. Time for a nap.
    ; )
    Mackabee
  • wesgwesg Member Posts: 24
    Mackabee....You might have missed this post #3472 which asks about the order process. Hope you have time to answer. Thanks...Wes

"Perhaps someone involved in the order process (mackabee?) can explain what happens when you reach a deal on price and the dealer does not have the car you want in his stock. Is the request for a car assigned a "request number" so that other dealers may respond ? - if no other dealer has the car, is there and "order number" assigned by the factory and an estimated build date generated? Can the dealer provide a reasonably close estimated delivery date? How can the customer know what is happening relative to the order? "
  • bluesiebluesie Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2004 Toyota Sienna Limited minivan and it has the laser cruise control. I loved it until it broke. When I took my Sienna to the dealer to repair what I thought was warranty work on the laser cruise control I was told the laser broke due to "road hazard". I had the Sienna 7 months when the laser cruise control stopped working. The Toyota dealer quoted a price of $1600 total to fix the laser cruise control. I then called Toyota headquarters to make sure it could not be covered under warranty and after an hour on the phone they determined that it would not be covered by the warranty.

I do not want to pay $1600 to have the laser cruise control fixed to have something come off the road and break it again.
    In the owners manual it states that we could use the conventional/normal cruise control by bypassing the laser cruise control. This only works if you program the cruise control when you are still in Park. Once the van is in Drive the conventional/normal cruise control will not turn on. This is extremely inconvenient due to the fact that I don't always know if I will be using cruise control or I simply don't think about it before I start to drive.
    If you plan to buy a vehicle with laser cruise control check on different options in case the laser cruise control is broken.

Laser cruise control will not work if it is too sunny or rainy out but conventional/normal cruise control will.
    Have not had any problems with Laser Cruise Control. It has worked fine in the sun and the rain.
  • autoguy1autoguy1 Member Posts: 87
    You're not the same guy over at the "other club", are you? You know, the board where some other members and I learned from your mistake and now have plexiglass or plastic covering the hole to the laser, right?

I, also a XLE Limited owner, highly recommend that all people with Dynamic Laser Cruise to add some sort of clear covering to the laser box whole to protect it. If Bluesie is the same member, than there was a mod we did to the Sienna that would protect the laser.

I'm making a tutorial about it. So hold on.
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    "The Navigation manual is helpful, but a device would have been more practical and useful. I'm expecting some nasty responses to this suggestion,e.g. "the system is easy, and you're just stupid.: But that's a risk I'll take."

No nasty response here, I consider myself a Technophile (Geek) and I too have had my share of trouble mastering this system. So no flames from me!

I think they should have included a USB 2.0 port where you could DL info / addresses off of your PC directly into the Nav system using a micro drive.
    I have a TV remote that allows me to goto their website, configure all my A/V gear, DL the info thru USB right into the remote. Very slick!

Toyota needs to rework their Nav system to make it more user friendly.

MikeS.
  • jl618jl618 Member Posts: 64
    It seems many upscale cars are offering rear-wheel drive these days. To me, it is understandable when (1) the vehicle has excessive horsepower or (2) torque steering problems with the FWD. Otherwise, are there benefits of RWD, other than on the race track? You'll have a hard time convincing me that RWD has better traction in the snow. The reason I'm curious is that one post in another forum suggested the new Avalon is behind the technology curve because of the lack of RWD. One could argue perhaps without an AWD variant, but without RWD? What am I missing?
  • teereevesteereeves Member Posts: 69
    For those of you who decided to wait for the 2006 Avalon in hopes of getting some additional features that wasn't found in the 2005 Avalon. You need to let Toyota know what you want in the 2006 Avalon, it may help and it may not, but at least it will be recorded in their database.

Goto this website:
    http://toyota.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/toyota.cfg/php/enduser/home.php

Tee
    Hey..where I live, AWD or FWD or a must because of the winter and snow! My friends here often have cars sitting in the garage during snow with RWD! I do not think they go good in the snow.
    I do hope they make the Avalon with AWD in the near future. It would be a big plus!
  • dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    Why not post it here? As a new owner of the Limited, I would like to have seen the following options available:

·Blue Tooth Technology
    ·Auto Tilting rear view mirrors that go down while in reverse
    ·Coin Holder
    ·Back-up Sensors

My Limited is one remarkable car. I haven't heard one rattle or phantom noise and this is more than I can say about my previous Lexus GS and Acura TL.

Regards: Dan
  • autoguy1autoguy1 Member Posts: 87
    http://community.webshots.com/album/305115361oYeUoI

Voila. It was very easy to do & again, I highly recommend this to anybody with the Laser Cruise.
  • bushkabushka Member Posts: 19
    Some people also laughed when the Japanese started making cars. The early Hondas and Toyotas were very basic and sub-par by today's standards. Today, it's the Korean brands that seem to be on the fast track of improvement and refinement. Don't discount Hyundai and their Korean siblings. It may surprise you to know that the Sonata you disparaged had fewer reliability issues (problems) than ANY Toyota or Lexus product in 2004, based on a detailed reliability report from Consumer Reports (posted on another forum site). Certainly Hyundai has not evolved into the giant that is now Toyota, but they are a very respectible brand ... and growing stronger at a remarkable rate. While Toyota designs are regarded by many as overly bland (including the new Avalon), the Korean makers are nothing short of adventerous and daring by comparison. I suspect it is the Koreans, at least in part, that motivated Toyota to branch out with Scion. Bushka
    Bushka, granted the Koreans have come a long way with Hyundai and Kia and they are making some very good cars nowadays. However, they are still not in the same league as Toyota and Honda. Give them 10 years and they will be there. Toyota branched out with Scion due to an aging customer base not the Korean manufacturers.
    : )
    Mackabee
  • dzorndzorn Member Posts: 1
    I am not sure what the Touring edition is costing but I just bought an XLS in South Louisiana and payed 1700 under MSRP. Some of the dealers in this area are charging 2200 above MSRP and I had one tell me that he was making me a good deal by charging me MSRP price. I shopped the whole Gulf Coast through the Toyota website. Dealers that are in the same city are pricing them different from each other so you can get a much better deal from other dealers that are only 15 minutes away from each other.
  • prime timeprime time Member Posts: 40
    your link to the 2006 production cutoff on the 05 avalon - do you know its source or if it is sanctioned by Toyota?
    is there some way to deactivate the rain sensing windshield wipers when you go through a car wash?
    what's the status on these? available yet?
  • bluesiebluesie Member Posts: 6
    The other club? No but I would like to hear more... Toyota headquarters said I was the first one with the problem.
  • clipper1clipper1 Member Posts: 70
    Hertz and Avis .... middle man

Good enough?
    It was not sanctioned by Toyota. I spoke with Corporate and they said the Donlen report regarding the Avalon is not true.
    The color keyed mud guards are being delivered by SouthEast Distributors to my dealer in Savannah. So they are available, he will have them next week.
  • luxosportluxosport Member Posts: 22
    I haven't noticed any post regarding the positives or negatives (in any) of the start button in the Limited. Would you say the step up to the Limited from an XLS is worth the extra $$?
    I would also guess the negotiating on an XLS is considerably less challenging since supply is not that much of an issue.
    Please see my post 3505. Respectively, I would just like to know what you mean by the word "corporate." Without naming names, is this an inside contact you have, customer service available to all, or ??? Just wondering in terms of credibility.
    I also have a Sienna with laser cruise. A rock hitting the laser sensor is something I'd actually never thought of, but it certainly could happen. I had a rock take out a fog lamp on my 95 Maxima (in approximately the same position). Is this something the particularly unmechanical amongst us could do? Do you have to crawl under the car and pop out the sensor box? I wonder if Toyota is working on a protective window cover for service departments to put in.
    For your info, Toyota does not do fleet sales or rentals to Hertz and Avis at least in my region. Toyota has their own rent a car branch TRAC (Toyota Rent a Car) at most of their dealerships.
    Mackabee
    pmcb48, without naming names I'm speaking about directly speaking with a person in their corporate office, not a customer service person. He assures me he would know about this August thing if it were true which it's not. I'm sure Macabee can speak on this. I just had a long talk with my Toyota Dealer even though he isn't Corporate that gave me all the information regarding August 06 which is not true. My Dealer said he would take a check on May 10th, on April First or whatever as a forward deposit towards the 06 (which he said would be silly) without discussing any prices since he won't have any until the new 06 is delivered, and says in their humble opinion they feel because of the late introduction of the 05 they don't expect to see the 06 in the showrooms until January, not even October. They believe Toyota would want a years cycle before delivering the 06. Anyone can speak to their own Dealer and if they are honest you might hear the same thing. My dealer is one of the largest and we have a very honest relationship with one other. He said the same thing as corporate that Toyota is a very smart marketing company and they would not shoot themselves in the foot this way, especially on the success they are having with the 05, it would be nuts to bring out the 06 in August. So these are the facts as they have been told to me. Macabee, you work for Toyota, I'm sure you have a way of also getting the facts and dispelling this misinformation about 06.Okay, enough on this topic. I will now take a ride in my Beautiful Avalon. Have a nice Easter everyone.
    groza, if you want to take the engine cover off knock yourself out! I tried it yesterday on an XL and it's a piece of cake. Just be careful not to break the darn thing. It has built in clips on it. I pulled on it from the front of the engine and lifted it around the oil cap filler. The hardest one to get off is the one to the back and right of the engine. Nothing spectacular under there, just a plain v6 engine.
    Mackabee
  • gladiator99gladiator99 Member Posts: 104
    Hello again! Yes Toyota's access pricing still lives in British Columbia. I checked prices on the new Avalons with 5 or 6 dealers in the interior and on the coast who all advised me that they sell only at "Toyota Access Pricing" which is full list price. I was able to find a dealer who would give me a better price on my trade though. Toyota's own webside states that Toyota dealers may sell for less. The dealers must have some agreement to only sell at msrp.
    I found the Acura dealers to have the same attitude. Full list price, take it or leave it!!!! Guess I'll have to buy my next car in Ontario!!!
    not built in clips but snaps. Just snaps on or off.
    Mackabee
  • barclay3barclay3 Member Posts: 90
    Mackabee...Are you hearing about or experiencing trouble getting the Cassis Limited without the NAV system? Could it be a long wait for me?
  • analyticangelanalyticangel Member Posts: 83
    I have read with interest all the other posts on the forum re shoppibg around for Toyota Extended Warranty
    I live in Florida and wanted to share a post from the forum on Extended Warranty
    SEe below

Hi illinialumni. 151ranch is absolutely right. In the interest of protecting consumers, the state of Florida prohibits the negotiation of selling prices of extended warranties. Any extended warranty sold in your state must be done so at one price. It is a silly law because while it helps consumers who are too lazy to shop around and get a good deal, it hurts educated shoppers like yourself. So the problem with purchasing a policy from a dealer in a different state isn't exactly that they aren't allowed to sell to you, it is just that they can not sell to you at their normal discounted prices.

Car_man
    Host
    of 974 Re: So GMPP it is, and then....... [illinialumni] by kirstie_h HOST Mar 12, 2005 (10:42 am)
    It was then followed by comment from another host

Yes. The upside is that you could get a cheap warranty. The downside is that you could be charged with fraud. It's not legal to claim you live somewhere you don't in order to skirt the laws of your state of legal residence. This will be especially apparant if you purchased the car in Florida and it's registered in Florida.

You may or may not get caught, but all-in-all, doesn't seem like a winning solution

I would be interested in feedback from anyone living in Florida that has either bought a warranty or considered one on the 2005 Avalon Thanks
  • jordan7jordan7 Member Posts: 77
    I would definitely say it is worth it. you get memory seat, 12 speaker radio, sun shade, nicer interior, smart key (it is great), nicer mag wheels with guaranteed michelin tires, cargo net, rain sensing wipers, high intensity headlights, etc. In the Maryland area I was able to buy my Linited for $500 above invoice which was around $2700 under MSRP. I got the Stability control option but not Nav or Laser cruise. My 7 yr, 100,000 mile, 0 dedcut warranty was $1000. I feel I got a fair deal. I think most can obtain this also by hard negotiating and a few walks out the showroom door.
    You have to have them set on the "on " position for them to work. If the lever on the right of the stering wheel is all the way up, they will not come on.
    Thanks Mackabee for yor post. While the Koreans have come a long way, they are not in the same leaque as Toyota. Maybe in ten years, but hten Toyota will be them again. Wait and see! I dont believe the Hyundai will ever live up to Toyota or Lexus.
    I love the push botton start. It is so nice not to worry with keys to get in the car, start etc. I find it to be one of the best features offered.I didn't drive any other than the Limited, so as far as the other models, Im not sure. I love my Limited, and I find the money spent on it to be worth every bit!!!! If you can go for the Limited, I would say GO FOR IT!!!! I think you would enjoy the push button start.
    Have a great Easter!