Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• cafpafcafpaf Member Posts: 65
    I have driven both a few times and like them both for different reasons. I like the Std Features better on the Avalon as well as the ride and I like that it has a better warranty. Please don't take this the wrong way but I like the overall style of the TL better as well as a few options like Blue Tooth and the Maintenance Reminder. One of the things I really like about the TL is the interior lighting and was wondering what the Avalon is like at night. At my age I have had cars I was desperate to get and now there is nothing out there that absolutely knocks my socks off and pleads with me to, "buy me and take me home." That is why I said that either would make me happy.
  • dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    I had back surgery last summer and I'm looking at another back surgery this summer, so seat comfort and support were a top priority for me. I am completely happy with the seats in my Limited. They are not as soft as my previous 2003 Lexus GS, but they are just as comfortable and supportive as my Lexus was. Regards: Dan
  • tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    I may go with the 2005 Mackabee. However, based on some of the earlier posts, I thought the 2006 was around the corner.

I'm also looking at the Highlander. Can you comment on that vehicle even though its off-topic. Thanks!
  • just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    Thank you Mac.
  • norskeynorskey Member Posts: 9
    There is such a big personal or subjective component in buying a new car that the best way (and perhaps the only satisfying way) to compare is to drive both. I test drove an Avalon Limited at night, and the high intensity discharge (HID) headlights were wonderful for visibility. The HID headlights are standard on the Limited. I've looked over and sat in an Acura TL, but not driven one. It has a much tighter "cockpit" or sports sedan feel to me, and for me was nowhere near as comfortable as an Avalon Limited. However, the fit and feel might seem better to you. That's my point: experience the difference for yourself. That's what test drives are all about. Without question, BOTH are excellent vehicles. Treat yourself and test drive them both! Norskey
    Mac thats why I suggested in an earlier post that Donlen will supposedly be getting an 06 that early, because in reality it's an 05 but because on the manufacturing date on the door it will be known as an 06 for depreciation reasons to help Donlen when they surrender their Fleet of Avalons. I guess on huge purchases Toyota makes that kind of concession, especially since they will start manufacturing them in July or maybe August if as stated before the date moves up. If that becomes the case you can see why we probably won't see the 06 for the consumer until late Oct or January according to the three Dealers I spoke with.
    Cafpaf, I don't take it the wrong way at all. If I could be of any help I would. My car is beautiful at night on the inside, the lighting is wonderful. But there is nothing like seeing for yourself like test driving one at night, that's what I would do. No one here can have the vision of how you perceive the lights inside at night, so I humbly believe you should see it for yourself. Your having a hard time making a decision, so if this means anything go with the car that is better quality overall and better depreciation values on the market. You will get used to the styling like we get used to our furnishings no matter how nice they are, the furnished model home always looks better after awhile, so the drive and comfort of the car is what counts as well as the quality and reputation of the company, IMHO. Good Luck.
  • jackevejackeve Member Posts: 5
    We ordered our LTD on Feb 11th and it came in Mar 15th
    tinatina, see my post #3685.
  • ronnronn Member Posts: 398
    cafpaf......I drove the TL as well. To me, there is know comparison between the two cars. The Avalon has much more room, it is much quieter, and it is a great car to drive day or night. The dash is well lighted, and the steering wheel lights also. The lights can be bright if you wish. While the TL is a popular car, I find the Avalon to also be of better quality for the interior. The wood trim, the leather etc. looks better. The most important thing for me was the ride. I do not like road noise, and the TL had lots of it, and it also took bumps hard. Hope this helps!
    PS.. One important issue with me is my back. As I stated in an earlier post, I am a musician on a bench playing lots of recitals, and I have back problems. The Avalon seats fit my back well , and offer relief.
    RONN
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    >>*Pat, this is not I REPEAT NOT a solicitation for business.

Nothing in your message would make me think otherwise ...
    Mackabee...I saw that color when I got my Black Limited. I'm glad we all have opinions, because I didn't like it. As you said. I think it will appeal more to the ladies! For some reason, it looks like a faded or out dated color to me, but I'm not a fan of a green tint for a car at all. I love it in the house though!!!
    Thanks for all your great support on this forum. You are one of the best on here, and I really enjoy reading your post!! Don't be too hard on me for not caring for that color. :)

RONN
  • havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    Cafpaf, I had test-driven both the TL and the RL before the 05 Avalon was released. I had found the RL gauge illumination superior to the TL, and also the RL handled better than the TL on fast accelerations and braking -- the TL had very noticeable torque steer upon accelerating, and touchy brakes. When the Avalon became available, I found the gauge illumination system to be the best I'd ever seen (day and night) and the Avalon accelerates and brakes more smoothly than even the RL in my opinion, with no issue of torque steer, even though it is FWD. These observations together with the Avalon's roominess, price and predictable reliability, made the choice easy for me. Best wishes with reaching your decision!
  • havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    I should have mentioned a few exceptions to the otherwise excellent night-time dash illumination in the Avalon:

1) The trunk and gas tank door release buttons are tucked a bit out of sight, almost under the dashboard on the left, and they are not illuminated but they are logically placed. These are the only two buttons there, you can find them by feel. The outside (left) button opens the gas tank door (placed to the left of the trunk) and the inside button opens the trunk. Still, illuminating these buttons would help.

2) The odometer, clock and main information panel use different sources of illumination and "font sizes". Aesthetically, it would have been nicer to make them all the same.

These are some little things that can be improved in the 2006 Avalon!
    JUST ME...you will get a kick out of this one! I was at a traffic light today, and it was a gorgeous day here, and this lady in the next lane motioned for me to lower window. As I did, she wanted to know what car this was I was driving. She had never seen it before, and thought it was gorgeous. At first, I thought she was excited about seeing me, :( but the car won her over!!
    I find it interesting that some post have mentioned that the Avalon doesn't do a thing for them, and it is not stylish!! If they had seen her, they would have changed their mind!!
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Ronn, I had that happen with my 92 Camry. The critics called the styling bland, blah, blah, blah, but I got a lot of compliments from people at stop lights, the 7-11, and so on. I won't get on you for not liking the Silver Pine. Just like I said though, it does appeal more to the gals.
    : )
    Mackabee
  • cafpafcafpaf Member Posts: 65
    I am sure that I will see additional responses, but while I am on I wanted to say thanks to everyone who responded to my plea for "A Little Help." I am leaning toward the Avalon, but I think that one of the things thay may have put me off initially is the literature available from the dealer. I am sure you all know what I mean. The one with the white Avalon on the cover. What a terrible piece for such a very nice car. It does absolutely nothing to showcase the car or it's technology. It is just plain bad. Even the TV commercials don't showcase the car. On the other hand the TL literature is absolutely super. Of course literature does not make the car as clothes do not make the person. My wife and I are going out once again on Saturday and we will make our decision. Of course if it is the Avalon, we will have to order it because we do not want the nav or the forward looking cruise control. That is OK because we have until the end of May until our current lease expires. FYI I think we got a great deal on both cars. $34K out the door including tax and title for the TL and $35K out the door for the Avalon Limited. That is a little more than $2500 of MSRP for the Avalon. Thank you all again and I am sure I will be back.
    You're welcome! Check your e-mail regarding the posting of your Avalon pic. I'd be happy to do it for you.
    Mackabee
    cafpaf, you may want to view the Avalon on www.toyota.com They have 360 degree views of the inside and outside and other goodies not available on the paper version.
    Mackabee
    Tina, you may like the Highlander better. The majority of Highlander buyers are women. They like the added feeling of security the sitting higher position gives them. It is also built on the same chassis as the Lexus RX330 but it's bigger and roomier inside. Another good point for it is we have the Hybrid Synergy Highlander coming out in a couple of months, June to be exact. There is a mini website at www.toyota.com under Suvs and Highlander. Pricing and specifications are already available. I think we have another winner on our hands!
    ps. time to go watch a movie and fall asleep zzzzzzzzzzz Mack
  • wesgwesg Member Posts: 24
    You bet, Silver Pine Mica appeals to the ladies!!! My wife and I took a "walk-about" trip south to California (2917 total miles). We stopped at 24 different Toyota dealers...asking to see a 2005 Avalon in Silver Pine Mica. Did not see a one until we returned to Oregon and finally...one in Salem, OR about 250 miles from home. We arrived home and ordered a LTD, VSC, Silver Pine the next day...March 18, 2005. Still waiting and waiting for arrival...hope 45 days...but told it could be 90 days.but, it's the only color she wanted...such is life with our lovely, discriminating ladies who have made the best choice in their life - me...Wes
  • blackdog4blackdog4 Member Posts: 67
    Ronn-The town in France that sounds alot like Avalon the way the locals pronounce it, is Avignon. There is a famous children's song about the bridge there. (on the Rhone river)
    cafpaf..Best of luck. I do agree with you that they should show the Avalon more on commercials..it kinda flies by and you get a quick view. I can only tell you that I love this Avalon more than any car I have had. It is comfortable, has the looks, and is a Toyota. What more could I say. The fact that it won First Place with Edmunds says it all in my book!!
    Thanks Blakdog4..I did find my CD today, and I was right. Natalie Cole sang a song on this CD called AVALON
  • dhathdhath Member Posts: 6
    Yesterday I ordered the Limited without NAV, which made it a special order, and the fleet dealer in Norwalk Calif told me to expect delivery in 12 to 14 weeks.

I am also getting the laser cruise control but I'm concerned about how fragile it is that a pebble can can bounce up and break it. Then according to a previous post it's not covered under the warranty and cost $1400+ to replace. I would think that this could be something that would qualify as a recall problem. Toyota should have some type of protective shield installed in front of the laser. $1400 to replace the laser is ridiculous for something that could have been easily prevented with a plastic shield.
    Hi Ronn. What a wonderful bunch of news we got this week on our Avalon. There is a town in Jersey called Avalon, it's on the shore, I've been there. I had the same experience as you, but with a man darn it, :). He pulled alongside me rolled down the window and motioned to me and said it's a beautiful car, he's thinking of test driving one, who was my dealer and do I like it. I said OUT LOUD, I LOVE IT, IT'S THE BEST CAR I EVER HAD. The light changed and off we went. So it's a looker Ronn. When you look at the Acura TL in MHO, that car has no poise or any nice styling, the Avalon is far nicer. When I come to my car from a distance, it looks so nice and has this nice stance to it, it looks like a luxury car. I sent Macabee a picture of the rear of my car my nephew took. If Mac can download it here he will and you will see the black bumpers on it. I think it looks great.
  • analyticangelanalyticangel Member Posts: 83
    From a female perspective........originally thought I would love the Silver Pine
    I have seen it with both Ivory and Light Gray and I actually think it looks better with the Ivory
    Having said that, I initially saw the car at dusk and liked it. Saw it again in full sun/daylight and I have to agree with Ronn it looked faded too light too much like Seafoam green and a color that I would grow tired of seeing . If it was a bit darker/ deeper I think it would look better
    But to each its own that's what make life exciting!
    Agent
    Have you decided to buy the Avalon.?......last post you were trying to find a dealer and I believe still deciding
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    "I'd like to get feedback from new 05 Avalon owners - are you experiencing squeaks and rattles?
    If squeaks and rattles are now standard equipment on Toyotas then I'm outta here..."

Alan, I've got 3.2K miles on my 05 LTD and not a squeak or rattle one. This car is really built, just like we used to say about our girlfriends...

MikeS.
    "Re: Clay bar [solara00] by chipmunk47 Mar 30, 2005 (6:41 am)
    Thank you for the information about the clay bar."

Ditto! I'd never heard or seen this before.

MikeS.
    "HI RONN. EVERYONE KUDO'S AGAIN. by just me Mar 30, 2005 (9:06 am)
    YES, YES YES RONN, ANOTHER WONDERFUL WRITE UP FOR OUR AVALON. OPEN THIS LINK.
    http://www.motorpoint.com.au/toyotaavalon.asp

To add weight to our argument that the Avalon is really a Lexus take a look at these figures that compare it with similarly priced Lexus ES. The Accord has 55 more horsepower, more torque, has a larger engine and yet is still more fuel efficient, has a rear seat that can adjusted, has more room everywhere, weighs nearly the same, and has a longer fuel mileage rating. Whereas the previous Avalon felt like a large Camry, this Avalon feels like a Lexus LS which costs over twenty thousand more."

A typo? The Accord has...???

MikeS.
    I had DVD headrests installed on 3/30 in my Limited. It was pricy but about 500 cheaper then what the dealer wanted. While the audio shop had the car I had them add a power point ( cig lighter) to the lower back side of the console that is always hot. You can barely see it, it is where the rear face slopes towards the floor. They also tapped into the light circuit above the rearview mirror and ran the wire for my radar detector. No more power cord stretched from the console to the detector.

I don't think that the new Avalon has enough power points and I'm not in love with where they are at. I like a always hot one for recharging my cell phones.

I'm going to take pictures tomorrow and will post a link here.

MikeS.
    I've now located a place in Pa. that will order a new emblem set for the car and do a "hot tank gold dip" They strip off the chrome from an OEM factory bought emblem set, then put it in a tank, electrify that and gold plate the emblems. Evidently even plastic emblems have a nickel coating then the chrome. Remove the chrome and the gold then adheres to the nickel. 100% guaranteed and the company has been around for years.

I think that gold emblems will look great on the darker colors like black and indigo ink.

Host Pat; Can I post a link here to that company?

MikeS.
  • agentagent Member Posts: 56
    I'm a little surprised that nobody commented on the "younger" crowds interpretation on the meaning of Avalon. Oh well.
    Good memory Analyticangel. I've had my current car on the market for a little over a week now and am just waiting for it to sell before I buy my new Avalon. My dealer is great and works with me on every turn. Toyota of Elizabeth City. They guarantee the engine for 300,000 miles and the tires are for life. I will be getting the Touring model. I tossed and turned over the dark graphite interior and finally decided that if limousines are dark inside, then that's good enough for me.
    Good luck on selling your car and the Touring is a great model......I sincerely hope it works out for you.
    Not to confuse you BUT........my understanding is that the Touring seats are called Charcoal and are the dark seats the Graphite is a medium gray darker than the the Light Gray but definitely lighter than the Charcoal of the Touring !
    Have a good one!
  • agentagent Member Posts: 56
    Yup... my mistake. I've got an information overload. lol Charcoal it is. Thanks for well wishes. I can't wait!! It's funny: after my first test drive of an Avalon, I haven't even considered the option of any other vehicle out there. I'm in love.
    Mike, Yes its a typo. I saw that after reading the article the other day but didn't mention it because it was an obvious error since its all about the Avalon. This was posted yesterday from two sources, one from Canada. The gold package will look nice on your car. I'm leaving now for the tinting of my windows and my first oil change for 1,000 miles, so I'm a crazy in love with my car as well. What a great car this Avalon is, I have never treated a car with such kid gloves as this one and staying far behind others so not to get the road chips on my hood or bumper, well trying to void those chips. Have a great day my friends.
  • chipmunk47chipmunk47 Member Posts: 39
    As I said before, only squeek or rattle in my 05 Avalon comes from the soda can my wife puts in the cup holder. Great car!!
  • clipper1clipper1 Member Posts: 70
    Want to bet?

I'll bet anyone on this board, the Avalon '06 will be in the showrooms, prior to October.
  • chipmunk47chipmunk47 Member Posts: 39
    Long ago, Packard didn't advertise too much either. The simple statement made by the Packard CEO was: "Ask the man who owns one". This statement can go for the 05 Avalon as well.
  • clipper1clipper1 Member Posts: 70
    Nope:

Avalon:

Mystic Isle.... Where King Arthur went to heal.

Avalon: Where Excaliber was forged.

Avalon: Home for retired Gods.

Avalon: Place of the "Holy Grail"

Avalon: ACeltic 'Otherworld.'
  • tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    Thanks for the information Mack. I have sent emails to several dealers regarding the avalon, but I have not yet heard anything.
    JUST ME...Great luck today with the tinted glass and oil change. I'm glad you're having it done today, and not April Fools Day on Friday. I wouldn't want you to be fooled in any way!
    Yes, I try to watch those road chips as well. It hurts if you get one. So far, so good!
    Enjoy your day and keep loving this great car. You better watch though, you want to give your wife the same attention as the Avalon !!
    RONN
    YES This car is great for all the above on your post clipper!!!
    We could do healing in the car, it could be a great car for a God-like individual, and you can live in "anotherworld" driving it. Three out of the five work great !!! Not sure about the excaliber being forged or the Holy Grail being part of car. LOL- have a great day!
  • cc12wittcc12witt Member Posts: 8
    I must say that I am really disappointed in the mostly unimaginative colors chosen for such a quality automobile....Is Mr. Magoo in charge of all that? Black and white, like poverty and politicians, will be with us always, but TWO shades of gray?? Give me a break! If the people in charge were really smart, they'd hire the folks from the Ford paint department, and then we'd have some really beautiful choices!
    Don't get me wrong, though....I still believe that F O R D is an acronym for "Found On Road Dead!"
    I do agree that they need more choices..I heard that bright yellow was making a big come back..saw a new Mustang in that color. Bright yellow Avalon?
  • bushkabushka Member Posts: 19
    I think the color choices should be greater, although the limited choices available are not bad ... just not as elegant as the car itself. I was just thinking about how expanding color choices, trim levels, etc must be a real "inventory management" challenge for dealers. Think about it. There are now FOUR trim levels of the new Avalon. Plus ... Toyota now offers so MANY different vehicles, each in multiple trim levels: Cars, Trucks, SUVs and a couple of convertibles! I'm amazed at how the Toyota line has expanded.

In terms of the Avalon name: I remember reading in another forum that "Avalon" also has some roots in Japanese culture, so maybe there's something to that aspect. At any rate, it's an excellent name for a fine car. I prefer names like Avalon to the "letters & numbers" approach that Lexus, Mercedes and some others use so broadly. I've often thought that Acura made a big mistake by dropping the Legend name ... and another mistake by calling another car the Vigor.

Just a few rambling thoughts. Enjoy your day! Bushka
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I don't see why not - the rules for link posting are defined in the Rules of the Road (link at the top of the page). As long as it doesn't go against those - it sounds like it doesn't - it's fine.
    Bushka... I do agree. I think it is great that Toyota has made so many choices with the Avalon. Something for everyone. I am very happy with my Black Limited eventhough it is a challange to keep clean. It's worth it to me though.I also like the fact that they dont use the" Letters& numbers" approach. It is cool that the name Avalon has some Japanese roots as well. Great!!
    "Don't get me wrong, though....I still believe that F O R D is an acronym for "Found On Road Dead!""

I thought it was Fix Or Repair Daily...

MikeS.