Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    I found this site for doing the Gold emblems on the 05 Avalons. Tpypta tells me that they aren't going to be doing them, at least not yet.

www.thegoldmaninc.com

They quoted me 169.00 & 10.00 shipping for the front emblem, the rear emblem, the words Toyota & Limited.

MikeS.
  • rodc2rodc2 Member Posts: 26
    I don't believe I've seen the Avalon Sunroof (Moonroof) Deflector discussed in this forum. It is listed by Edmunds, VHIX, NADA, and others as a "no cost" option (Manufacturer option code SD) becoming available in March 2005. Is it a mechanical device which rises into the "slip stream" only when the roof is opened, or is it a plastic/metal mini spoiler which remains attached to the exterior of the roof in front of the sunroof at all times? The former would be great, but the latter may detract from the vehicles otherwise clean lines. I have not seen one of these wind deflectors installed on a new Avalon, but possibly one of you have. Comments?
  • maryd1maryd1 Member Posts: 2
    Reading this forum daily helped me decide to take the plunge. Have a 2005, Blizzard. Pearl Lmtd. Feel you'd appreciate my experience. I have a propensity to set my coffee cup (usually ceramic) on my moon roof as I enter my car in the morning for the one mile drive to work. As you may guess I sometimes forget it. My 2002 Avalon had a record of 4 ceramic coffee cups broken and two lost stainless steel cups on the street as they bounced off the car. This morning, after several turns, enjoying the power and manueverablity of my new machine and having numerous neighbors waving more feverently than usual at me, I arrived at work with my coffee still sitting on the moon roof intact. Admittidly with a third less coffee, but still there. Smooooth ride. Love it! MaryD
  • grozagroza Member Posts: 89
    MaryD, welcome to the 05 Avalon club. Your coffee cup is destined to go down in Avalon history - alongside Shakespeare, King Arthur, the Holy Grail, Natalie Cole and a town on the Jersey shore!

Groza
  • ronnronn Member Posts: 398
    LOL That is too cool!!! You should do a commercial!
    Here it goes from MaryD:

Do you think your car isn't smooth enough? Just check out the number uno Avalon and a cup of coffee on a moonroof ride. Now that's smooth.
    "Can't get it out of my head"

RONN
    "I have not seen one of these wind deflectors installed on a new Avalon, but possibly one of you have. Comments?"

Rod - FUHGEDDABOWDIT!

Groza
  • loudspeaker76loudspeaker76 Member Posts: 35
    I want thank everyone who contributes here. There is a lot of great input here regarding the Avalon, however I've not seen a lot of posts regarding the quality of the sound system. Sure, I've seen a lot of posts regarding how quiet the car is, but being an audiophile (nick didn't give that away did it?) it's something I've been very curious about. I currently have an Audi A6 that's going to get the boot (as my friends call it "The Ouchie"), but one of its redeeming qualities is the Bose sound system in it. Is the JBL in the Limited and other models a decent system?

-LoUdSpEaKeR
    "Common sense is not so common" -Benjamin Franklin
  • agentagent Member Posts: 56
    some people in here love it but not me. I plan to get the stock stereo and replace the whole system. Paper cone speakers and an un-enclosed sub do not belong in a $30k car. IMHO
    LOudspeaker... I have the Limited, and I enjoy the stereo very much. I listen to CD's most of the time, and they sound great. I know Bose as a great system, and I have not heard it in the Audi.
    I am very happy with the surround sound. It really sounds great in the backseat!!! I am pleased, however there have been others that have liked the sound system in the Acura better. The Limited is a great car, hope this helps a little. I am pleased with the sound.
    RONN
  • havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    LoUdSpEaKeR, I think the JBL sound quality is really decent and so do my teenage kids, who were genuinely "wow'd" by the terrific sound from their own CDs when played through the car system. But given your name, this is something that you may want to check out for yourself. Take your own music for a test-listen and won't really need to have the car in motion for this test, as the ambient noise would not be very different ;-) Let us know what you think afterwards!

havalong
    Loudspeaker - I know what Ben Franklin would do. Bet you do, too. GO LISTEN TO IT, DUDE.

Groza
  • abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    PLEASE, vent, and bring the children back to reality. Most of these machines depreciate. Some of us, are lucky enough to have someone else pay for it, but some of us, pay cash for our vehicles, drive them over the 10 year mark, and are sometimes lucky enough to sell them privately.

I would think if you paid cash for your vehcile, keep it only 7 years, put 2k into it, and then are trading it in on a new Avalon. Does not sound financially savvy to me. Keep it to 10, and then sell it privately. Get one of the last years of this new Avalon when all of the kinks are out. A better and more savvy bet for sure.

abfisch
  • bluesiebluesie Member Posts: 6
    I keep calling Toyota and they don't think they have a problem with the laser cruise control I was the first and only one to call and report it !
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef65f0f!make=Buick&model=LaCrosse&ed_makeind- - ex=.ef65f0f

Gosh, I am feeling sorry for GM. The host created a board for LaCrosse buyers to post their buying experience on March 8. Not a single post since then. GM had really high hopes with the LaCrosse as a viable alternative to the Avalon. Doesn't look like it is going to be much of a competitor against the Avalon
  • just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    Hi RONN. Well the tint is done and it goes so nicely with the shiny black trim around the window and door jams. Then I took it to my brushless car wash where nothing touches the car but water, wax etc. then drive it through the blower and voile, dry on the outside. Then I open all the doors and truck and hood and dry all the surfaces that are wet. Later today I will vacuum the interior, yes Ronn, I'm a clean freak with this car, its driving the misses crazy but I have never been so happy with a car. On the way home from my dealer in Savannah, I finally with 1,000 plus a few miles under my belt opened it up to 75, WOW, quiet, I can't find the words to appreciate the engine and comfort. So far in the city driving I get around 22 to 23, so for that I'm very happy as well. Its amazing how they gave us a more powerful engine and yet more MPG for the gas, all the others use more gas in that Edmunds write up. RONN, I'm Happy for you as well knowing how you also love your Black Avalon. Hopefully Macabee will be able to post my picture showing the bumper guard, I hope. I'm sure I will hear from him shortly. We should form an AVALON CLUB and meet someday. Can you imagine all the stares as we appear with the same car in different colors and not Harleys. Then we can have a picnic and of course those of us with wives have to bring them along.
    MaryD1, that is the best advertising commercial I have heard. You ought to call Toyota and let them in on this and just maybe you could collect royalties on this if their advertising department is smart enough to use it. Welcome to the board and happy motoring.
    Abfisch, there is more to life than money. Relax and enjoy, the devil cuts your pockets out. We all know cars depreciate, they aren't houses, so what. Do what's good for you, everyone has his own way, and you know what, they are all right. Different strokes for different folks. In the interim I've having a ball driving my Avalon now. I don't know whether I will awake to enjoy another day. We are all vulnerable to life's surprises.
  • boatsmanboatsman Member Posts: 37
    I never noticed until today I was standing behind my car while they were drying it at the car wash. The exhaust outlet on the drivers side is 1/2 to 1 inch lower than on the other side. At first I thought it had caught on something going through the car wash but my wife said she noticed it weeks ago when we got the car but forgot to mention it to me. Now everyone go out and check your cars. You really have to look close straight from the back or you'll think it's just the angle. It's not loose as I tried to lift up on it and it wouldn't budge.
    "At first I thought it had caught on something going through the car wash but my wife said she noticed it weeks ago when we got the car but forgot to mention it to me."

Ummmm, Mr. Boatsman, how long did you say you've been married? My wife couldn't get away with that story during the honeymoon! We'll all look at our pipes just to be sure, and you may be right. But I'm thinkin' you should give Puddin' a good old cross examination, bud.

Groza
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    First of all I think everything is being blown waaay out of proportion. If you are not interested in having a conversation, then don't have it, just don't participate. There is no need to keep posting telling someone else not to have it - whatever the subject is.

Secondly, that TSB does not pertain to the Avalon, so let's quit discussing it here.

Thirdly, if folks own an Avalon and are personally experiencing a hesitation problem, they are very welcome to post about it. Those of you who want to relate it to other Toyota/Lexus difficulties may link previous posts in response to anyone who posts such a message, but there really is no reason to keep saying the same things over and over.

(Linking a prior is message is very easy - right click on the message number, choose Copy Link Location/Copy Shortcut (whatever language your browser uses). Then go to a post box, right-click and choose Paste. What you see won't make a lot of sense to you, but when you post it will be a very legible link to that message.)

That about covers it for now - let's let the whole hesitation issue go until or unless an owner is posting about his or her own personal experiences with it.
    Boatsman, take it to your dealer. I heard of it with another person from a friend of mine. His dealer raised it so they are about the same height now. Anyway, just my suggestion. I noticed this on several Maximas as well as I trailed them. Good luck.
    JUST ME..... How did you like the commercial I did for MaryD? Don't you think I need some royality also. Of course, I had to end the commercial with the Theme song "Can't get it out of my Head" I love that song, and it's great for their commercials. LOL
    Hope you had a great day with your new tinted glass.

RONN :)
    MARYD..check out the commercial I did for you.I will make us famous, and I will share the royalties with you. Sound great?

:) RONN

PS SInce you did the coffee mug ..that was the commercial subject, so I will take 10% royalty and you get 90% Fair enough?
    Isn't this forum fun. LOL and have fun ;)
    RONN
    Thanks for the input. I personally wasn't stacking the stereo in the Acura TL against the one in the Avalon simply because it seems like comparing apples to oranges. The TL has that DVD Audio system (sorry gang, but that looks like it's going to be obsolete before it really catches on). I'm going to duck now before saying this, but I was originally considering a 300C before I caught wind of the redesigned Avalon.

-LoUdSpEaKeR
    That is sad... I looked at the LaCrosse, and hated it!!! They had high hopes.
    havalong

Thanks for the input. Teenagers are definitely good indicators when it comes to sound.

-LoUdSpEaKeR
    Groza
    Great advice, I plan on trying an Avalon out this Saturday with the Mrs. As far as Ben goes, I was simply trying to take advantage of what he did not have...

Internet forums. :D

-LoUdSpEaKeR
    Audi = :lemon:
    RONN, It was cute. Actually I am serious, it's a great commercial showing how smooth the ride is with the coffee staying on the top of the car. Now you have to sell it to Toyota's advertising company with permission from Mary and have it documented and copywrite it was her story and your idea so you can collect the royalties. Ah, dream on, but it sure would work.
    Loudspeaker...I have a friend that would die if he saw a lemon beside the Audi. He did his best to convince me to buy the Audi over the Avalon!!! He loves his convertable Audi.
    Best of luck with the Avalon Saturday.
    JUST ME..we have to convince Mary D to do this commercial . We may become richer.
  • buckeye6buckeye6 Member Posts: 8
    For those of you who have long memories, I was unhappy with the ride and road noise in my new LXS. Read the post about these new cars having high tire pressures coming off haulers. Finally, I decided to check my tires. All four had 38 lbs. Changed that to 32. Its a brand new car. thanks.

Now, I've been with you for at least 6 months. Great help. loved it all. But, folks, it has deteriated to --- well, a waste of time. So, don't bother to call me names, etc. I'm outa here!
  • gbinplanogbinplano Member Posts: 65
    I have "Asked Toyota" for the following, but was told I'd need to study the manual that comes with the car!

Can anyone provide what words are recognized by the NAV speech engine in the new Avalon. I have ordered a Limited in Indigo/Graphite and am interested in planning my attack in getting the navigation system programmed as quickly as possible once it arrives (prolly May). The reference to the tutorial on the Lexus site was a great help. In the interim I want to learn the new vocabulary to communicate with my Avalon.

This is one of the best boards I have had the pleasure of surfing, and I look forward to being a member with my new Avalon for long time. I'm trading the prototype for the original Avalon, a '94 Camry XLE that was delivered to me from an auto show in Jackson, Mississippi at $6K below MSRP of $30K because it had 440 miles on it going to shows. It had every option, including the gold package. Now, at 88,000 miles, it is getting tired and wants to be replaced by the 2005 Avalon.

I can't wait!
  • cafpafcafpaf Member Posts: 65
    Well with all the help I got last evening, my wife and I went to the dealer tonight and ordered the 2005 Avalon Limited with VSC, Preferred Accessory Package, and wheel locks. I wanted her to see the Silver Pine Mica, the Blue Mirage Metallic, and the Titanium Metallic. However, when we got there the blue had been delivered. Not to worry though we order the Blue Mirage anyway. Our current lease is up at the end of May but the sale folks tell us that we have pleanty of time to get what we want. We are looking forward to it.
    Congrats on the new Limited. I know you are excited!!!
    That's wonderful. I hope you checked the interior lights this evening since that was part of your concern. Good Luck to you and am happy we gave you some direction. Your purchased a great car, a Lexus with an Avalon name for a lot less money.
  • dhathdhath Member Posts: 6
    Bluesie: I find it hard to believe that Toyota has only had one complaint on the laser. You can bet that anyone having to pay over $1400 to repair it when they found out it wasn't covered by the warranty is going to be raising you know what with Toyota. Maybe they're not ready to admit that it's a problem yet. I spoke to a plastic mfg to see what would be best suited as a shield and not interfere with the beam of the laser. Polycarbonate appears to be the choice. Acrylic is just as clear but it's harder and more brittle so it will break if a stone bounces into it. Polycarbonate is softer so it will give if hit by a stone but it will also scratch. It would need to be cleaned and probably replaced every so often.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Here's another pic the world has been eagerly awaiting! justme's bumper guards on his Avalon. Very professional looking job if I may say so! Ronn, all you enjoy!

http://www.drumandstage.com/marvinsavalon.html

: )
    Mackabee :D
    WOW JUST ME..They look great! You have started something now.
    Mackabee, thanks for posting this on here tonight. Great job! :)
    RONN

By the way Mackabee, what do you think of the coffee cup commercial? I do love the theme song Toyota is using "Can't get it out of my Head"
    Maybe it should say" Can't get it off of my car" ( the mug that is)
    LOL - enough crazyness for one day. I'm getting money back from taxes.I guess that's why I'm so crazy today
    RONN, HERE ARE MY BUMPER GUARDSThanks Macabee for doing this. RONN and THOSE THAT ASKED.. now you can see how it looks. In the front I put two in the center of the bumper, the first one up tight to the bottom chrome piece and the other one at the bottom of the same bumper, thereby giving me some protection there if some one backs up, since the center is the widest point, and it looks real nice that way as well. Each one is to memory about 20 inches long. You can say you like it or not, it won't hurt my feelings, I really like it and it's better in person.
    http://www.drumandstage.com/marvinsavalon.html
    JUST ME ...THEY LOOK GREAT. Hope you are enjoying the tinted windows also. I have been crazy on here today, but it has been fun. I think I scared MaryD off, haven't seen her post anything else. Thought we had a hit with the commercial with her coffee mug. I have pictured that all day!!!!
    You know Just Me, I was the first dude to buy the Avalon in Roanoke, VA. I told them I should be on a commercial. I actually knew more about the car than they did.!!
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    This must be the first car I have seen in 20 years that has bumper guards that look halfway decent. Perhaps they even add something.....Very stylish....
  • avalonturing05avalonturing05 Member Posts: 32
    1. THE BACK TRUNK HAS A CHEAP MECHANISM FOR A LATCH
    VERY DIFFICULT TO CLOSE ESPECIALLY THE ELDERLEY---YOU PRACTICALLY HAVE TO SLAM IT---NOW HOW BAD WAS THAT IN DESIGNE
    STOP USING CHEAP STUFF

THAT GOES FOR THE HOOD TO ----DON'T YOU HATE WHEN THEY SLAM THE HOOD----THE SOLARA -2002 HAD VERY GOOD LATCHES ON BOTH AND YOU CAN PUSH IT AND IT LATCHED.---LISTEN UP TOYOTA.

EVERYTHING IN THE INTERIOR IS PERFECT, EXCEPT ONE THING
    THE TOP LIGHT BUTTON ---THE MIDDLE -LONG ONE IS SOOOOOO CHEAP
    TOYOTA STOP DOING THAT. :cry:

i HAVE HAD TOYOTA S ALL MY LIFE AND HAD ALMOST ALL MODELS with different YEARs so I qualify to say what I please with down right truth and facts

on with the review:
    The ride is smooth I feel like a million bucks when I drive it I cannot get over that
    beautiful cluster.The black leather seats with the silver panels,simply gorgeous
    and those reclining seats that you can move 20 degrees im not sure maybe 10.my son who is very tall loves the back,very roomy.He feels as though your in the back of a Rolls-royce.

The power of the engine,great acceleration.Had races with other cars...im still winning as you all know,the Avalon 2005 touring with sporty suspension,is the fastest toyota in any class.That goes for you Lexus.Avalon might be for us old folks but its one of the fastest,and that 280 horse power is simply sweet.

I do not have a navigational system becuase I felt that is was not touch screen navigation.It is all manual,and thats not good.

C'mon add a Blue Tooth. :P .

This car in my opinion can be used as a limo,automobile,and for the fact is very luxurious,soft,roomy,pleasing to the eye,like no other.

If you want more a review just tell me i'll answer specific questions.I love this car.From a scale to 1 to 10 ill give it a 11. :)
  • gladiator99gladiator99 Member Posts: 104
    Hi just me!! The bumper guards look good, however because so many cars have different height bumpers, the protection they provide may be limited. I know it would be difficult to protect the entire bumper, this will help somewhat. When I got my new avalon in blizzard pearl I had the dealer install a hood front protector ( plastic deflector ) It is a smoked color but hopefully it will help keep some of the stone chips off my hood. Can you get the bumper guards in a white color? I love my new Avalon and lots of people who have seen it can't believe how much room there is in the back and how nice it rides. I sure enjoy this forum and it provides lots of ideas and suggestions. Take care and keep up the great posts!!
    here is 2 shots of the system I had installed March 30th.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

MikeS.
    Here is a shot of the added power point;

MikeS.
    Thank you, Mack, and very nice, Marvin. Why no JUST ME vanity plate?

When you all have a chance, browse the last couple pages of the Chrysler 300 forum. They've discovered the Edmund's comparison of 300,Av,500 & Lacrosse. Methinks they doth protest too much :mad:

Groza
  • algeealgee Member Posts: 78
    I wonder why they didn't supply the 110vac out accessories like I have in my 2002 XLS? Or did they?

It sure was nice for using a laptop and other devices. I would have to get one from another source.

Al
    "I wonder why they didn't supply the 110vac out accessories like I have in my 2002 XLS? Or did they? "

algee - Do you mean 12V dc plugs? If that's what you're asking about, there are 2 of them in the 05 Av. In the bottom of the console compartments.

If you're looking for alternating current outlets, bub, better carry along a little generator or a very long extension cord.

Groza
    re: gladiator99, Ronn,Mikes, Groza. Ronn Thank you for your approval. Gladiator99, the bumper guards are available in white and clear as well from another supplier, I will post the links here. It offers some protection only when everything is at the right height, it's also for me should I misjudge backing up and when I park moving forward, I also did it because I think it looks very nice. In person it kind of has a European look to it. Mikes the DVD set up looks great. The kids will really enjoy and not say are we there yet. I saw it at my dealers yesterday when I had the oil changed for the first 1,000 miles, and for some reason they didn't charge me. Because I sent them two customers that bought the Avalon, they gave me a check back for the mud guards/flaps I had installed.
    GLADIATOR, THIS IS THE LINK I GOT THE BUMPERS FROM. The ones called Sport Bumper Guard Set are mine. I see they are available in White,Grey and Black. http://store.perfectcar.net/exterior-accessories--bumper-guards.html
    Here are some clear ones, but weren't long enough for me and wanted the contrast of Black to my Desert Sand Mica.
    http://www.carbumper.com/bumper_guard.html
    GROZA, Next time I will put Just Me on them and say By Groza, :):D