Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

05790579 Member Posts: 2
edited December 2013 in Toyota
I have been told that the toyota avalon will be restyled for 2005 with the first cars available around July or August of next year. I was told it will look very similar to the BMW 740. Has anyone else heard about this change and/or seen any pictures of it?

Comments

• alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    if it looks like the 7 series, and Im an avid Toyota fan. Let's hope theres not truth to that rumor.

~alpha
  • jjpcatjjpcat Member Posts: 124
    Maybe you meant the previous generation 7, which looks great. The current generation is either 745 or 760.
  • nomad56nomad56 Member Posts: 134
    Here's two cents... This is just a guess. I think we are more likely to see the Avalon dropped. As the gap (Price and ammenities) between the Camry and ES (Lexus) has narrowed, Avalon sales have fallen. I have seen and heard of various makeovers in the Toyo line-none of them are for the Avalon. This is just a guess!
  • bigbluekybigblueky Member Posts: 11
    As a Toyota loyalist, I think it would be one of the biggest mistakes they could make if they stopped production of the Avalon. As the owner of 97 Avalon XLS, I feel there's not another car out there that could even come close to the bargain that the Avalon is. If Toyota stops the production of the Avalon, then that would mean that if you want a genuine full size vehicle in a poor mans price range then we would all have to go to dreaded domestic brands, I don't know about you folks, but the last car I want to drive is a Ford, GM, or Chrysler product, unless it's a full size truck. I love my Avalon, and would recommend one to anybody. If something happends to my car, I will buy another one. Please Toyota if you're out there reading these post, please keep the best full size bargain money can buy in production. Go AVALON
  • abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    While I love and respect Nomad56's expetise and comments, I respectfully disagree. The Avalon was squarely aimed at the big detroit metal, and in comparison, it is obviously superior. See Consumer Report's article last year, and the comparison testing, versus Buick Park Ave Ultra, Pontiac Bonneville, etc. It clearly took aim at this sector. Those who live in the southern retirement states could tell you how many Avalon's are on the road. I do not think this model will be going away soon, as full size sedans are making a come back, albeit in low numbers.

Nomad56: What is the model year and trim level of your Avalon???

A.Fisch
    I have a 96 XLS. The 2nd model year. When it first came out, the Avy was an easy choice. It replaced a Bonneville!

...and, It looks like my guess is wrong. My "deepthroat", a friend in the car industry, who tells me stuff, if he won't have to kill me, says Toyo will likely proceed with the re designed 2005 Avy. It should continue to be a Japanese "OldsmoBuick." ...we'll see how right he/she is... -nomad56-
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    I am in my early 20's and don't laugh I actually find the 1998-1999 Avalon bodystyle to be a pretty looking car. The 00+ does nothing for me in terms of looks. Its just very bland to me. So what if the Avalon is compared to the Pontiac Boneviille. The Boneville is a decent looking car on the outside(the 00+ Body style that is) but the interior is of subpar quality and resale value is lousy. As far as being as being to compared to a Buick that is not good but hey at least the 90's Avalon was good looking.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    I'll second that. The 98-99 Avalon was a great looking car.
  • jeff186jeff186 Member Posts: 95
    Seems somewhat odd that there have been no spy drawings or shots of the supposed new design for the '05 model year. Or have I missed them? I hope the rumored '05 redesign is true with hopefully a larger V6 in the mix.
    Jeff- Yeah, that's what I was going on, when I speculated that it would be dropped. It seemed Toyota was letting it fade away. The next day, I spoke to my friend who "hinted" the redesign, and continued production, is "probably" a go. ...as offering an alternative to the Detroit sedans is a good idea. Keep in mind the new LS430 is considered a "redesign". Subtle at best.
    The LS430 does not look like a redesign it looks like a mid cycle refreshening.

Why can't Toyota offer a more sporty ride ala Acura TL instead of going with the soft/cushy ride?

It seems like Toyota is making the cars look taller and their cars have lost their sleekness because of the "tall factor". The Mazda 3 is tall looking but its not bland. I wish Toyota would have continued with their late 90's styling theme instead of this tall looking theme.
    If you think Toyota needs to target a sportier ride, a la the TL, with its Avalon, I'm guessing you dont understand the demographic this vehicle targets. How many TL purchasers long for a bench front seat?

Lost their sleekness? Fair enough. But the current Corolla is better looking than any of the Corollas since my birth, and the new Solara is, at the least, different, I think it looks great. What about Celica, MR2, RAV4? All good looking vehicles. But looks are subjective anyway. Done right, even the Camry can be downright sharp.

~alpha
    The MR2 is nice. The Celica and RAV 4 I like alot. The Camry I don't really like it. I liked the 1992-1996 and the 1997-2001 models better than the 02+. The Corolla I liked the 98-02 model better in terms of looks than the 03+. I think the 98-02 Corolla looked better than previous generations of Corolla.

The Solara tries to look like a luxury coupe but just doesn't pull it off for me.

Look are subjective I know.
    Well, I've been prowling around various websites but can't find anything about the '05 Avalon. Nada from coverage of this month's Tokyio auto show. And nothing about the possibility of the '05 Avalon being at the Detroit Auto Show in January. Most frustrating. I'm hoping a resigned model is really coming. Seems kinda odd that the supposed flagship of the Toyota line lags the current Camry SE in engine and drivetrain.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    Will have the 3.3L engine with 230 hp used in the late Toyota & Lexus models, (New Sienna, RX 300, Highlander, etc.) and the same 5-speed automatic.

I'm almost sure the new Avalons will have the newer type of outside door handles, found on any other Toyota model. I hope they will have fold-away side mirrors which could be very useful for such a wide-body car. I also hope they will add illuminated controls for the power door lock & window controls, as in the Lexus LS430.

I personally like much more the newer Avalons than the '98 models, but I still think that the 2002 are nicer than the 2003 (front grille, taillights and wheels), but I like both more than the '98 models.

I also like more the Camry & Corolla than the previous generation. However, the new Sienna is completely not my taste.

Toyota's cars are so different looking from each other. Most other companies, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, Chevy, Honda ++ have a unique look. Most people will know right away 'It's a Ford! It's a Honda!', etc. Should somebody show me the new Sienna without Toyota badging, I would never dreamed it's a Toyota. The grille, taillights, and wheels are very different than any other Toyota model out there. But inside it has a real Toyota look.

Toyota's tradition is to offer a plush quiet ride, not great handling (but acceptable, though). For handling go to Honda or Mazda.
    If you go to the following link: http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/- 37553
    This is probably the same news my "deepthroat" industry insider received.... -nomad56-
  • rschluderschlude Member Posts: 1
    I love love love my '98 Avalon. Hope the new one is worth the wait. I found this on the Car and Driver Web site "2005 Toyota Avalon Redesign on new Camry platform, to serve as a destination vehicle for older customers." I might just get an '04 if this is the case!
  • cawilescawiles Member Posts: 1
    I, too, have friend in the car business. A Toyota sales manager to be exact. The 2005 Avalon will be redesigned to look more like the Lexus. The Avalon's sales have slowed and you will likely see fewer 2004 models as dealerships prepare for the new design. As for the Camry, I think it's a great looking and riding car. The performance is, in my opinion, more than adequate. I like both cars largely due to the fact that the styling is subtle, not so "over the top" as some of the manufacturers' cars - such as the Nisaan line.
  • jmalcivjmalciv Member Posts: 1
    I to have heard that a new jazzy body style will be out in 2005...direct from a dealership owner!
    It actually will take on a mix between the Lexus and BMW new body style...
    Don't like that idea of Toyota throwing a little "Bangle" style on the 05 Avalon.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Toyota needs to make sure they keep the large rear seat and driver's seat, generous trunk, soft ride and 18.5 gallon gas tank in any re-do of the Avalon. That's why a lot of us drive them. I liked the body style of my old '99 better than my new '03...but I bought one anyway. Great cars! And similar in most areas I felt important.

If ANY of these things are altered just to add a little "sport" to the car, I would probably buy a Lexus E330 instead. Avalon driver's generally do not want a firm suspension and sports car performance. If I am to be shortchanged (less interior room, maybe) on driving what I want, let me have it in a Lexus.

If anyone gets any PICS...or other links to the 2005 body, this topic would be a great place to post them. Everybody wants to know. Enjoy your Avalons, all.
  • mcclearyflmcclearyfl Member Posts: 149
    "Fin" accurately describes what a core group of loyal Avalon buyers expects in a new Avalon. But will it happen? If the Avalon had been a hot selling car, perhaps, but this is unfortunately not the case.

Our 2002 Saab 9-3 is the last example of the "traditional" Saabs -- a heavy-feeling car with a huge hatchback, and we will probably keep it for ever. Why? Because the 2003 model is a mainstream sedan, a good car but not what the traditional Saab owner wanted. And the result for GM (owner of Saab) -- vastly improved sales volume. Catering to the traditional core Saab group was not cutting the sales mustard, and Toyota faces the same issue with the Avalon.
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    I just got back from the 2004 models auto show in Virginia Beach, VA, and it was an eye opener for me.

I had been considering the Infiniti G35 and the new Acura TL, and the show provided an opportunity to sit in all the new models. My wife in particular had her own priorities, high among them interior room, including back seat. It was surprising how many cars, including the G35 and TL, had narrow rear-door openings, and relatively small backseats, not to mention subjectively little rear-seat headroom. If I bought one of those, I'd be riding most of the time by myself, as my wife/daughter would and did feel cramped, not to mention how my in-laws would feel.

The most comfortable and spacious interior we found, by far, was the 2004 Avalon. I'm 55, and the other eye-opener was that I'm now putting comfort ahead of neck-snapping acceleration. I have always liked the Avalon, but wasn't sure I was ready for a "Japanese Buick." I guess I finally am!

I will watch this and other strings regarding the Avalon with great interest. Since I am now seriously considering buying an Avalon, I would likely wait for the 2005 re-design before doing so. All the rumors, advance info, etc. re the 2004 Acura TL I read in forums like this came true, and without much clarification or input from dealers or Acura itself. Likely it will be the same with the Avalon. Thank goodness for the internet! I am looking forward to being a part of this community.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    pmcb48, welcome to Town Hall! We look forward to reading your opinions as well.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    I spoke with a friend who is a sales Manager this weekend. He also has confirmed that the 2005 Avalon will be a beautiful looking car (based on pictures he has seen). He is predicting that it will take sales away from the Lexus ES model (time will tell). Read the Consumer Guide info. Doesn't really tell us very much and, who is source? Maybe 4WD or AWD will be offered as an option? Anxious to see what it will look like, inside and out.
  • fndlyfmrflyrfndlyfmrflyr Member Posts: 668
    Have 96 XLS and, like pmcb48, comfort (and room inside) and utility are becoming more important the older I get. We drove a 2004 Prius a month ago and I'd seriously consider a 2005 Avalon if it has the bigger 3.3 V6 and electric power. Make the new Avalon a hybrid, a plush full size Prius, and I want one.

I still like performance and a fun car to drive from time to time, but for long drives comfort, space, and utility count most. A hybrid Avalon would be all of these and give outstanding fuel economy.
    fndly'-no hybrid Avy on the drawing board right now. Next up for the hybrid combo is the RX330(Lexus). That's not until next fall. Toyo, like ALL mfg's, EVENTUALLY, intends to apply this combo to it's entire fleet???? How quickly this will happen is uncertain... -nomad56-
    I've read that the redesigned '05 Avalon will be built on the Camry platform. Since the Avalon is a step up from the Camry in the Toyota model lineup, does that mean we can expect an Avalon built on a stretched Camry chassis? And has anyone seen any spy shots of the '05 Av? I'm irked that Priddy and Dunne can get shots of the "hot" redesigns two or three years before they hit the showrooms, but I still haven't found anything for the new Av less than one year from going on sale.
    Since they were introduced for the 1995 model year, the Avalons have been based on the Camry, and as you stated, they basically ARE a stretched version of the Camry platform. The current (2000-2004) Avalon is riding on the Camry's previous platform (1997-2001), and the 05 Avalon will move to the new platform.

~alpha
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    I have been frustrated finding anything out about the 2005 Avalon except tantalizing little snippets from people quoting this or that industry insider. Dealers are no help; with the G35, I knew more from boards like this than the dealers were willing to discuss or admit.

I guess I'll just have to keep checking this site and hope that the rumors of a 5-speed auto transmission, 3.3 L V6, and 230 HP are true, not to mention improved styling.
  • rutledge1rutledge1 Member Posts: 6
    One of the cars that will give the Avalon a run for its money is the Kia Amanti. The Amanti will have a lot to offer and will be under $30,000 fully loaded, for example: one touch up/down windows for the front and the rear, heated seat options for the front and the rear, one touch open/close sunroof, heated outside mirrors, and whole bunch of others, and you can get all of that for about $28,000. If the 2005 Avalon is going to be as nice as I hear it is supposed to be, that they would be well served to offer the same options and features found in the Amanti. If Toyota can't go toe to toe with Kia, then something is terribly wrong
  • seajay63seajay63 Member Posts: 4
    pmcb84

Talk about being frustrated trying to find out information about the 2005 Avalon, I started back in May 2003 trying to find information on the changes for 2004. Imagine my shock to find out that steveB84 was right when he posted "no changes for Avalon in 2004 model". I could not believe it until I saw it with my own eyes. I still have not bought one. Now hunting info on the 2005 like everyone here. The bench seat is the option most important to me and my wife. I will buy a 2005 if I can get it with the bench seat. If not I will try to find a 2004 XLS the way I want it if they are still around. I too am hoping some one will post reliable 2005 Avalon information here.
    Seajay, we're all feeling that frustration about the lack of info for a new model less than a year away. I'm hoping the '05 Av gets unveiled at the January auto show in Detroit, though the roster of cars for that show is not yet available.
    to find spy shots of an Avalon? When the Camry was redesigned Toyota I don't think kept the spy photo's a secret now like they are doing now with the 05 Avalon.
    The Camry redesign was a well kept secret. Pics and confirmed information only leaked out the April before the September official launch.

~alpha
  • sadlermdsadlermd Member Posts: 8
    1. May hurt 2003 Avalon sales.
    2. Its another styling dud from Toyota.

Personally, I am praying its number 1!

I have been a Toyota owner for 15+ years. My wife and I each drive Camry's (97 and 01). But recently, I have had nightmares where a day came that Toyota had finally given their top of the line car a top of the line style! "Toyota Quality" and "World-Class Style" could share the same sentence! And that car was in our driveway! Then, of course, I wake up and realize it was just a dream. To be fair, the Avalon is not a bad car, the comfort and conveniences are unquestionably compelling, but its styling simply puzzles. In my opinion, the current Avalon would be far more popular had they went a little further with the application of the Lexus GS styling cues. It appears they started with the GS silhouette, then, in an attempt to avoid being a blatant copy, chose to differentiate the two by giving Avalon the wide mouth / narrow body / flat roof / small wheels look. I believe that decision totally polarized the Avalon market. People seem to either love it or hate it. For the sake of appeasement, Toyota could have at *least* offered some appearance package upgrades (chrome wheels, better paint, etc.). Instead they seem determined to hold this notion that the buyers in the Avalon market have no sense of style. I think they call it "Japanese Buick" - the idea that old people just want to get from "A" to "B" and could care less about what the car looks like. I think the Cadillac Sedan de Ville blows that theory right out of the water. The average Cadillac buyer is at least the same age if not older than the average Avalon buyer. But yet, Sedan de Ville offers a huge number of appearance enhancing options that I assume attempts to address the desires of their market. I believe that when Americans make top line purchase decisions, a high percentage of us are strongly influenced by appearance. Oh well, as we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder...and maybe Toyota will consider some fresh eyes around their design offices.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    The styling of the Avalon, (Version to 2.0 - 2.04) is chameleon like. Up close the car looks very nice and refined. But when in motion especially from the rear the car looks like a big box on wheels.

I guess this is the design theme for the new Toyota since the Corolla is a petit version of the Avalon. For 2005 I believe it will be more of the same. I am still waiting though.
    Another styling dud from Toyota? Think most of Toyotas redesigned vehicles of late are nicely styled. The Camry looks great, if not in LE trim with those ugly wheelcovers, definitely in SE and XLE trim with the alloys. The Corolla is sharp, the Solara is distinctive and upscale....

I agree that the 2000-2004 Avalon is a bit odd in its proportions, though, and I hope the redesign is at least somewhat eye-catching.

~alpha
    I guess I'm one of those styling dull thuds. Never have liked the rolling jelly bean style of of my 96 and find the current style even worse. Didn't keep me from buying then and it wouldn't now - as long as the car is quiet, roomy, has a great A/C, and gives outstanding comfort. For me, as long as a vehicle isn't too awful in my eyes, style isn't an issue unless I feel it is so bad that resale will suffer significantly (Aztek (sp) comes to mind).

Looks can attract and get us to the showroom, but once there substance becomes prime.

It would be nice be able to get an Avalon sport/performance version though. Maybe one with a supercharged engine or a Prius like electric assist, bigger sway bars, more wheel and tire... . Probably will not happen, but does not mean I wouldn't buy one again.
    I just don't find anything about the new batch of Toyota's thats attractive. I mean one of Toyota's weaknesses has always been exterior styling with the exception of the Celica which is getting the ax in favor of a new Scion Coupe after the 04 model year. The RAV 4 also sharp but looking which might be getting the ax too. All I see form Toyota is them using nice interior materials's in their cars. Toyota is getting beaten badly in the younger buyers category by Honda, Nissan, Hyundai, Mazda, and VW. Sales of the Celica to younger buyers were not enough too level out sales of their average age buyer. Their reliability edge is invisible now. Toyota is a company that might make mistakes twice with the same product and then cash in on a 3rd opportunity(looks at their entry's into the pick-up market: the T-100 was a flop and then the Tundra was a hit.) So maybe there is hope Toyota will find exterior styling wothy of bringing young buyers to showrooms. The Prius looks like a nice start: imagine that a Toyota that actually looks pretty cool.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Avalon has a core following due to several things, none of which relate to pure "beauty" as in the eyes of many. The car is smoothe, quiet, and has a big gas tank and rear seat. If Toyota wishes to change any of these basic features, they will gain, and lose, some buyers. Toyota makes the call and we watch. Avalon needs no performance extras. Wrong car, as built. It will be interesting to see if Toyota goes with the current type vehicle or changes Avalon to a "sport" image of some kind. As always, this board is a great place for spy pics and other links when available. Loved my '99XL and my loaded '03XL is flawless so far.... enjoy one today.
    I just checked the official site of the North American International Auto Show and no, the '05 Av is not listed among the new vehicles to be introduced when the auto show is held next month. I'm beginning to wonder if the rumored '05 Av redesign is really gonna happen.
    Keep in mind, I don't think the 2000 Avalon was shown until it was available to buy.
    Check out the "Crown Concept" on toyota.com under Vehicles---> Future Vehicles.

~alpha
    Hope the Crown Concept is the new Avalon.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    Doubt it. The Avalon is the Japanese Premio and the Toyota Crown was discontinued from the US in the late-80s or early-90s. The "CROWN CONCEPT" is currently on sale in Japan in the same model variants as before: CROWN ATHLETE, CROWN MAJESTA, CROWN ROYAL. The ATHLETE and ROYAL are is the new Crown (Athlete for sport, Royal for luxury) and the Majesta is being carried over.

If the Crown ever made it to US, it would probably a Lexus due to its high-luxury content. I wish it were the new GS!!
    DONT SAY THAT. The GS is a sporting line, and the "Crown Concept" looks to be a boulavardier in the vain of the Avalon, LS, etc.

We'll have to see what winds up on our shores as the next Avalon.

~alpha
    The Crown Concept is most like the LS 430/Celsior. The Avalon was the same car as Japan's Toyota Pronard, which I believe has been discontinued.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    Yea, it was the Pronard!!

Alpha01: I know it's not going to be the next GS, I just wish it was a hint of one. The Crown Athlete looks much better than the Crown Concept, I might just add. In Japan, Toyota's sports sedans are the Altezza, Aristo, and Crown Athlete. Makes me wonder ......why two different midsizers???

Coolguyky7: Yea, it would be great though if the Crown became the next LS!!! Or shold I say "LS300T"??
  • dodgeman4dodgeman4 Member Posts: 3
    Just checked out the 03 Pronard. It looks identical to the 03 Avalon, exept of course for the right hand drive. Question is will the Grill which looks a lot more stylish and refined fit my 03 Avalon?