Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• nemodatnemodat Member Posts: 14
    Sorry again. I failed to mention that the general manager had driven it for three weeks. It had a1000 miles on it when I got it but I couldn't find anything wrong, not even a paint chip on the front, and the deal was as you said too good to pass up. Not to mention it was the only Blizzard Pearl they had and that was what I wanted. This price applied only to this car ( no wheel locks on it ,I'm afraid). On the other hand, I doubt if the general manager is walking. Maybe someone could get the one he is driving now. Peace
  • mmg1mmg1 Member Posts: 29
    Sorry about my caps. Just that I am not a typist and it was easier for me that way. Will try to do do better. Now trying to find the online manual so I can read up on the VSC . I would order everything that is offered but have to keep $ in mind.
    Again, did not mean to yell.
    mmg1
  • deaniedeanie Member Posts: 172
    Hi Miss66:
    I bought from the Toyota dealer on Cherry Hill Rd in Silver Spring, MD. I checked their internet inventory list (along with 3 other area dealers first) and found they had 12-16 Avalons in stock (a fairly high number given the demand). The other dealers had 10 or less each and were unwilling to go more than a couple hundred below their posted internet prices which were $1k to $2k below MSRP (approx $2k to $3k above invoice) and were unwilling to bargain further. No thanks.

So, I called the Silver Spring dealership early on a Friday AM (before they get busy), bypassed salespeople and spoke directly with a manager, told him I was tired of negotiating with dealers who thought their Avalons could lay golden eggs or heal the sick, and that I wasn't interested in an Avalon anywhere near the posted internet prices. I asked what he could do if I bought today out of his stock on the lot. I explained I have a 4 week-old baby and would not come in to negotiate, so we came to an agreement over the phone in five minutes. I'd done my homework on invoice prices/dealer cost/etc.... It was a friendly, painless and non-stressful negotiation. I told him when I'd be in and he assigned my sale at the agreed upon price to a salesperson who processed the paperwork within 30 minutes of having selected the actual car.

Wife and I spent an hour deciding between three XLS's identically optioned for our agreed upon price, and found the Cassis w/Ivory & light colored wood the nicest, but its interior scuffed and showed dirt too easily (very scuffed and dirty for a car w/only 77 miles), so we went w/Phantom Gray, gray leather & dark wood.

Of course we had to deal with the "back end" of the dealership's profit maker - the finance guy. But we bought w/cash from our home equity line, and did not buy the extended warranty, So we were out of there in only 20 more minutes. The end.

Just an additional note, extra keys are $100 each from Toyota, so don't lose them once you buy. Anyone have any comments on the $100 keys???

Hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Deannie
  • mmg1mmg1 Member Posts: 29
    pod,
    I have not received my car yet so I don't know how it drives,other than the one test drive at the dealers. So I'm into colors and options and opinions . I know the toyota quality because my Dad had one of the first Cecilicas eons ago and we have had some kind of Toyota ever since. Now my granddaughter wants a Corolla for her first car. The beat goes on!!
    mmg1
  • littlejohn600littlejohn600 Member Posts: 80
    Question for DeannieHow much below list did you pay for the XLS??
  • rwb2rwb2 Member Posts: 85
    It's a great way to deal. That's why I keep going back to my dealer in Lancaster Oh.. 2 minutes on the phone, knowing what invoice is going into it and flatly stating " that you know how I deal-invoice plus. Had the deal ($500 over invoice for their first LTD back in Feb.) in two minutes. When closing the finance guy knew not to push "dealer profit" items on me. Most of my time was spent in the extended test drive I took. This is why I never hassle them on price. They're more than fair to begin with. By the way they moved my XM radio box to the center of the trunk. Looks alot better
  • ski1003ski1003 Member Posts: 41
    I have to ask this question in regards to getting "good deals" on the new Avalon. Do most people have a trade? I know you that I paid MSRP for my 2005 Avalon but I got better than trade in value for my car. I guess the bottom line if the price difference you pay. Any comments in regards to your situation?
  • cafpafcafpaf Member Posts: 65
    Even at that, you got a wonderful deal. You are to be congratulated. The best I could do was $1000 over invoice. So...you got the same car at a $2400 less than I was able to do. Good luck with the car. Mine should be in at the end of the month.
  • just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    Every question you asked was answered in this forum, scroll back and take your time reading. Bottom line, power great, brakes great, etc etc. 0 to 60 in 6.5 seconds, hardly any noise, quiet, etc etc. Read the car reveiws in the magazines, same responses, one great car. Read, and read and more.
  • burlburl Member Posts: 40
    I am glad that most 0r all are enjoying their 05 Avalons so much. It is truly a wise choice

I would mention for those interested that worst come to worst and you can't live with the color of your choice Vinyl /wood interiors, I'm sure that there will be kits on the market very soon giving you your choice of color And MANY times They are REAL wood......... have not used one but they might be of interest for some of our Members. Whitney's catalogue usually shows several different kits.

Also the thought occurred to me that soon kits of the current choices from Toyota parts for use as replacement For Damaged autos (have to able to repair accidednts but it's quite possible that toyota will make only the whole door panel available) .......so be patient soon you will be able to change what you have if you have to.

Have fun driving this beautiful weekend
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    For you and anyone who might not have noticed it, let me point out the Search This Discussion feature on the page bar. It's a heckuva lot easier that scrolling back! ;)
    Thanks Pat.
  • nemodatnemodat Member Posts: 14
    Ordinarily, I would be quick to thank you for your kind compliments but I'm feeling embarassed because I did practically nothing to get this price. I didn't expect to buy that day and didn't even have the invoice price with me and did not expect to find the car I wanted since another dealer in the area had no 2005 Avalons. I looked at the 6 they had on the lot, asked what the lowest price they would give me on one of the Limiteds and said I wasn't interested. I would be back in 6 months when inventory was higher and prices lower and got up to leave. the sales manager asked what color I wanted. I said Blizzard Pearl.(I had not seen one on the lot). He said I have one that the boss is driving. The exact mileage was 1400, I believe. I said I wouldn't pay more than $30,500. I thought that was near invoice and did not really expect them to accept. He walked in talked to the general manager and three minutes later said yes. I never did go back and check invoice. Till you said something I didn't realiize I got that good a deal. As you can see there was no witty banter, nor great wheeling and dealing on my part. Just dumb luck, I guess. Now that I know how good the deal was I don't know whether to rejoice at the price or worry that something big, metal and vital is going to fall off. This is my third Avalon. All of them were great cars. Sold my 2000 for $14500, the day after I picked up the new one. Paid cash for the 2005. I live only an hour from the toyota assembly plant in Georgetown Ky. The have a marvelous tour of the plant . You must call ahead to make reservations though. Peace
    HI RONN, where are you?? I was in a Target store today and I saw these stick on script initials in color silver. For around a dollar and 70 cents, I put on three initials, one for my wifes first name, my first name and last name (three in all, above the driver and passenger doors in the center of the door pull just above the crease. The Silver on the Desert Sand Mica looks sharp and professional. I then waxed over it. I have been debating the stripe (and can still do it if I want) but I think the initials look classier and go with the refined look of the Avalon. So I'm mentioning to those of you who want to personalize their cars, it's looks great, sorry no picture. It's certainly worth less than two bucks but looks professionally hand painted and worth much more. I put some painters tape above as a guide to keep them in the same line and it worked fine. I don't think I will do the stripe, I'm not sure if this car needs it. The initials IMHO look elegant in keeping with the style.
    havalongavalon, I took another look at the link you sent showing the picture because something seemed different then my car. Well in looking at my XLS Avalon, the rear light where the stripe in the picture in this link you sent ends, my rear light is all red, in the picture the top part of the rear light looks like clear glass and the rest of it is red. Is that something they have done on a touring model?? According to my brochure from Toyota, the entire rear light is red glass. So I thought this was strange?? Have you noticed that as well? Thanks in advance of your reply.
  • deaniedeanie Member Posts: 172
    Hi Littlejohn600:
    Check post #172 on the Prices Paid & Buying Experience thread for the price I paid/MSRP.
    Regards,
    Dean

P.S. The invoice price for my XLS included a $525 (approx) TDA advertising charge which is a legitimate charge in my area, and as such, my price was about $600-700 over invoice. Some have had success buying an Avalon for $500 over invoice, though it depends upon the dealer and their available stock, the manager's mood, etc...
  • havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    You are very right, just me --it is not just you! Very interesting. The color of the glass above the crease was changed to match the color of the car. The thinner rear light in continuity with the red stripe probably contributes to the visual impression of a longer, lower car. Thanks for pointing this out!
  • rwb2rwb2 Member Posts: 85
    No trade-in for me. I always ask about the trade-in after a firm price on the new one has been established. By the way, sold the potential trade-in myself. Not hard to do when its a Toyota.
    havalongavalon, you could be right, because even at the bottom of the rear light there seems to be some clear glass there as well, and matching on the other side of the car. So perhaps if this isn't a light distortion, it had to be done by if not the dealer someone else, but that seems odd since this car is so new I can't believe a two tone red and clear is available yet and then again why would anyone have done that. Maybe the sun is hitting it some way causing a reflection but the lines seem so straight that I doubt that. Anyhow, it's just a point of sometimes seeing something that doesn't click till later. Now like you I'm curious about it, but I won't let it disturb my sleep, but wish Sherlock Holmes was about, LOL. Thanks again.
  • ronnronn Member Posts: 398
    Hi Ecar.....I have had one CD that comes up with a name and the tiltle of each song.....I don't know why that one does, and others don't. It was" Los Lonely Boys" latest Cd that will do that. Hope this helps..
    RONN
  • tweakertweaker Member Posts: 30
    Agent,
    Now for my likes.....
    • I'm surprised to find that I'm much happier with the stereo than I thought I would be. I do however wish there was a "mute" button on the steering wheel for when the phone rings and you have to answer quickly.

Note that by holding the steering wheel mode button for 2 sec, the system shuts off. One press of the same button turns the system back on. I use this feature when the phone rings.
    HI RONN. I'm happy to see your still around.
    JUST ME.....That sounds cool.....I have my name on my L. Plate, but the initials sound nice as well. I will check that out the next time I go to Target.
    I'm not doing a stripe either. I think the car looks great with out one. The only thing I'm a little upset about is when they cleaned the car up at the dealership, they used something to cause lots of swirl marks on my black paint. You omly see them in the bright sun, but they know better than doing that. I should have gone back to them. Anyway, I love the car. It is awesome and gets looks all the time. I filled up today, 32.00!!!!!! Something has got to give with these gas prices..I got 22.9 for in town driving..I was so pleased. I don't know of too many that get this with this many horses...isn't it wonderful.!!!! :)
    Have a great weekend....

RONN
    YES RONN, it is wonderful and makes the Avalon even more special with 280 horses to get that kind of mileage in town. Listen to me, get the McGuiar NXT Generation Tech Wax, in Target about $15.32 cents, it takes the swirl marks out. Read the instructions, it tells you that. I have no swirl marks on my car, not one. I had a faint scratch, not through the paint, the McGuiar got rid of it. Try it, it's better then Eagle from what I heard. Easy to apply to the whole car, and after 5 minutes wipes off easy without seeing any of the dust wax which sometimes accumulates when wiping down. I agree, I will not do the stripe, the initials make the car even more elegant. You also have a nice weekend my friend.
  • rewoprewop Member Posts: 35
    A few days ago I posted a message stating that my salesman told me that the Limited models now come with Bluetooth capability. That is not true, he made a mistake.
    The good news is that I have a loaded Limited and everything works, the exhaust tips are symetrical, the rear sunshade does not bind or squeak, tire pressure is correct, the leather seats do not hurt my back with wrinkles or seams, the brakes are strong and smooth, etc., etc., etc.
    Rewop
  • 3puttmax3puttmax Member Posts: 119
    Just got my new Limited, in Phantom Grey Pearl with Graphite leather & dark wood. Took it out for 150 mile road trip. Noticed something interesting about the laser cruise control. When cruise is first turned on, it is in distance control mode, meaning you can set the desired cruise speed and also distance behind leading cars, and it will slow you down if cars in front get too close. In this mode, each tap up of the control shaft increases your set speed by 5 mph.

You can also get into a mode that controls speed only, not distance. In that mode, called normal mode, each tap up of the control shaft increases your set speed by 1 mph. That's what I'm used to from my old 2000 Avalon, and what I prefer.

I have no idea why they designed the system to have 2 different speed increments, depending on what cruise mode you are using. The 5 mph increment is just too much - don't know what they were thinking. By the way, this is all spelled out in the owner's manual, so the system is doing what it's supposed to.

Aside from that weird feature, the laser-guided cruise control works great, allowing cruise control to be used in heavier traffic than I would normally. The control will apply brakes if necessary to slow you down if someone cuts in. Of course, at that point the traffic is really too heavy, and you should get out of cruise control.

Another complaint - the odometer, cruise control distance settings, and sequential shift gear number indicator are all very dimly lit compared to the speedometer, fuel gage, etc. When I'm wearing sunglasses, I can't read those faint items at all. I have the instrument light brightness switch all the way up.

Max
  • ecarecar Member Posts: 5
    3puttmax--

I noticed the same thing about the odometer, etc. It looks like the clock, for example, is LED based, so is generating its own light. No problem there and I can see it fine under all conditions. But the odometer and other items you mentioned are LCD based, so are using reflected light. Fine at night, but just not bright enough during the day if it is sunny out and one has sunglasses on. I think some other Toyota vehicles have the same issue. A poor choice, in my opinion. All the displays could easily have been LED's.

But ultimately a small flaw in an otherwise fine vehicle.
  • design74design74 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Havalongavalon,
    Just wanted to let you and the forum know that I did that concept of the Avalon.
    I'm the designer of the car, and I took that photo at CAlty Design where the Avalon was designed( along wih the previous one). I basically wanted to show what the car should look like
    ( the tailamp was what I origionally wanted). Well, I just recievd my silver Touring Model and have already lowered it and put a nice set of 19's on it. I'll try to post a photo tommorrow.
    Anyways, thanks for all the positive comments, and I hope you all enjoy your car, (I highly recommend 19 or 20" rims!!!)
    DESIGN74
    design74,Thanks for letting us know, it was strange after realizing the difference. Thanks for the elegant design as well. You created a real winner. Why do you recommend the 19 or 20" rims? What will the benefits be? Thanks for your answer in advance. Have a great weekend.
    Hi DESIGN74,

Well, it's our pleasure! Thank you for sharing your pioneering concept and for letting us in on your background. The picture you posted in January convinced me that the new Avalon was meant to attract a much younger crowd, I knew then that I would like it when it finally came out.

Looking forward to your next photo!

havalongavalon
  • grozagroza Member Posts: 89
    havalongavalon: The time of your post is listed as 3:50 am.

GO TO BED! GET SOME REST FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.

Groza
  • prime timeprime time Member Posts: 40
    So I took my car through the touch free car wash. When I got ready to get out of the car I didn't know what to do with the smart key. I ended up putting it in the center console. What the heck are you suppossed to do with it? If you take it with you they can't start they car. I also had to show the attendant how to start and stop the car. Anyone have any suggestions on how to handle in the future?
    Hey everyone...I have a question that you might think is stupid, but one that was directed to me. Before you turn engine off, how many of you guys turn the radio, AC etc. off. I have been told by a friend of mine that you should turn everything off before stopping. They informed me that it is better to start the car without all of this stuff on. I have never done that before...so I'm asking you if anyone else does that, and does it really matter? Many thanks, and I know I will get some response.
    You are great. Have a great weekend, and I look forward to your opinions.

RONN :)
    hey Prime Time..IMO you did the right thing by putting the smart key in the center console. That keeps the door from getting locked, and the attendent had access to it. I love the smart key, but you had a great question to ask. There are times it gets tricky on what to do.
    I might add that sometimes when I touch the handle to unlock, it takes longer to do than others. I don't know if you have experienced that are not? I guess it's the way it is in your pocket perhaps. I don't know if others have found that to be true or not. It does work great, and I enjoy not having keys to take in and out of my pocket all the time.

RONN
    JUST ME Thanks for suggesting the McGuiar Wax. I will get some and try it soon. I would like to see all the swirl marks gone!!!! A great weather day here, hope you get out in that great Avalon today. I have to work. :(
    That was really cool with the intials thing on your car...wish you could send a picture. have fun today...

RONN
  • roskiroski Member Posts: 15
    I suggest you separate the SmartKey from the rest of your keys and just give them the fob or leave it in the console. You can then turn the trunk release switch off in the glovebox and lock it with the physical key to prevent acess to the trunk. You would also need to lock the pass through in the back seat if you want it really secure.
  • roskiroski Member Posts: 15
    Can someone try this and let me know if you replicate my problem?

I have noticed sometimes that the volume of voice nav drops so softly that it is hard to hear it and I can replicate the problem every time.

1- Either driving or stationary, make sure the voice command is working at the proper volume by saying "Go Home". If not, adjust it by using the command "Louder".

2- After it has calculated the route, issue the voice command "Voice Guidance Off". You should hear a confirmation that it has been turned off, but at the same volume as before.

3- Issue any other command (like "Delete all Destinations") and it will reply in a very soft voice - the volume has automagically dropped dramatically.

4- Now issue the command "Louder". It should return to the previous volume setting.

Can anyone replicate this problem?
    "...Before you turn engine off, how many of you guys turn the radio, AC etc. off. I have been told by a friend of mine that you should turn everything off before stopping. They informed me that it is better to start the car without all of this stuff on...."

ronn: Some theories follow. Turning off the AC a minute or so before stopping will dry up condensation on the evaporator and extend its life (condensation promotes corrosion). Turning off AC before stopping also can eliminate those annoying condensate pools that collect on the garage floor. If your garage is carpeted, this is major bummer.

Turning everything off before stopping and/or starting makes the starter's life easier for obvious reasons. Turning off everything also minimizes possible battery drain if there are shorts in the wiring.

I've heard all these things over the years, but how many of us have time to wait two minutes while the condensate drains? Think about this scenario, though - Open garage door, idle outside garage for two minutes, AC off, condensate dripping on driveway, listening to The Platters on the JBL Synthesis with bass at +3. Can you dig it?

Groza
    hey groza, it was Friday night over here. But how come YOU were up at 5:42 am today posting a message to me and still posting messages 3 hours later? Have you nothing else to do on this apparently beautiful Saturday morning, like wash your car, maybe?

OK, time for breakfast and my rainy morning's activities over here.

DESIGN74, I'll check again later on today for your new photo.

havalongavalon
  • alphawolfalphawolf Member Posts: 100
    That makes sense, however it would totally defeat the purpose of having the remote starter...which one would only want to get the vehicle heated up in the Winter or Cold in the summer.

Meaning, I'd leave everything on Auto unless the dealer service techs told me otherwise.

In fact, in deep summer down South I'd probably make the Temp super cold right before shutting it off so that when I hit the remote start- the vehicle would be nice and cool as soon as possible.

I tend to think that the Starter motor and alternator plus battery are all designed thinking people will keep things in Auto position most of the time.

Good question to ask the sevice techs though. I just watched the section on mynewavalon regarding the Temerature controls. They suggested leaving it in the auto mode. Then again...they don't care much about wear and tear. :-)

-Dean
  • gbinplanogbinplano Member Posts: 65
    I believe most cars bypass accessories when engaging the starter motor to maximize current available for starting.
  • nomar69nomar69 Member Posts: 49
    Hi all, I've been to several dealers here in the Northern VA area requesting a fully loaded black LTD including laser cruise control. At least one dealer told me that they cannot find LTDs with the laser cruise control at their dealership or any of the other dealerships because "it's just not a popular feature". Has anyone else in the No. VA area, who wanted this feature, had this problem? Do I have to go to a state where that feature is desired/popular? Your input is appreciated.

nomar69
  • jll1jll1 Member Posts: 12
    Wife's requirements were white exterior and anything other than the light ivory interior (based on her previous experiences with cleaning light interiors), although she really liked the looks of it.

Our agreement is that I handle the exterior, she the interior.

So, ordered blizzard pearl with graphite (having never seen one).

Had charcoal been available for the Limited we probably would have gone that way.

The car arrived two days ago (nav, laser cruise, VSC, remote starter, XM). She has NO misgivings. I have NEVER seen her so excited about a new car, and we have had many, from Cadillacs to Jaguars to ....

The color combination is wonderful with the dark "wood."

35% window tint front/rear (Washington State requirement).

Dealer moved XM antenna from side of trunk lid to the center near the brake light as described in earlier posts in this forum. Would prefer it to be color-coordinated and perhaps roof mounted though.

Exhaust pipes proper.

Thanks to all in this Forum we have NEVER been as prepared when "shopping" for a new automobile.
    "I believe most cars bypass accessories when engaging the starter motor to maximize current available for starting."

Mr. Plano: Please do not confuse us with facts.

Groza
    Groza....Thanks for the info.....and yes your idea sounds great..I like the Platters, also 3 Doors Down.. Thanks for the info...I will now turn evrything off before the car.

RONN :)
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    If you notice when you start the car none of the accessories work. They are all disconnected by the start switch/button. Do not worry about it. Turning off the AC prior to engine shut off will cut down on the water puddle in the garage, but here in Georgia you do not sit in a car and do this just to keep the garage floor dry.... not more than once, anyway. :)
  • larryt22larryt22 Member Posts: 125
    Wow! After reading from several of you about clay bar, I decided to try it today. I have read about this stuff in the past but never had tried it. Even while using the clay bar I wasn't sure I liked it. However, when I was done, all I can say is wow!!! Does this stuff ever do a great job. I picked up a kit by Mothers at AutoZone. It had the clay bar, liquid cleaner and carnuba wax in the kit. Used all 3 products as was directed.

I am attaching links that I think you can see the shine. WARNING, this is an 04 Camry and not an Avalon. I still just dream about the Avalon. However, I think you can tell how well this worked, plus you can get an idea of what silver stripes look like on Phantom Gray, even if it is just a Camry :-(.

http://www.myimagestore.info/upload/images/b6685058.jpg

http://www.myimagestore.info/upload/images/XZm85280.jpg

http://www.myimagestore.info/upload/images/8cn85434.jpg
  • teereevesteereeves Member Posts: 69
    larryt22, your 2004 Camry is SMOKIN!!! Your car looks great, I was able to see your reflection in the paint. I will keep Mothers in mine. Thanks for the pictures.

Tee
  • jordan7jordan7 Member Posts: 77
    I believe Northern Va is in the Central Atlantic distribution center. They are packaging Laser with Nav and you can not get one without the other. I would not think that would be a problem as long as you will accept both.
    JUST ME....Thanks so much for the info on McGuiar NXT wax. I went today after work ,got some, and waxed the car with it, and wow what a difference!!! It took most of the swirl marks out, and it really does shine!!!!! IT IS GREAT!!! Black Beauty is glowing...can't wait to take it for a spin on Sunday.
    Hope you have enjoyed your Saturday and I'm sure you have been out in your car today. By the way, you need to name yours as well.
    Do you turn everything off in your Avalon before you turn off engine? This is in response to an earlier post I did today.
    Thanks again for the great wax info!!!

RONN