Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    Dear Prof. Waterduck,

Thank you for your insightful comments, you have raised some novel points worth pursuing, in particular on possible tax credits as "Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle” -- I'll check whether this may apply in Canada, as well.

I have given some thought to two of your observations and can provide the following answers.

On your small quibble #2, I'm happy to tell you that the mirror is attached via a short support arm that has two joints, one at each end, and the vertical position of the mirror is adjustable over a fair range. You just need to bend the arm down at the joint closest to the windshied, and then raise the mirror again at its closest joint. I just happened to discover this feature yesterday, after owning my car for almost two months! In my case I moved the mirror up; I thought it was too low and interfered with my forward visibility.

On your point #4, further to your observation, I've come to the conclusion that the famous door and dash trim panels will always appear perfectly aligned IFF you look at them from anywhere in a horizontal plane, about navel-height... Unfortunately, since there is a discontinuity in the rates at which the two pieces curve where they meet, and there is also a gap, they will seem misaligned when seen from any higher vantage, such as a normal sitting position. But we know that they are correctly aligned; it's just a problem of visual perspective... In older Toyotas these trim pieces were made to curve so that their vertical position and also their rate of bending were well matched, which is more acceptable to the eye from most angles.

Best regards from just over the border (and at the opposite side of the Continent),

havalongavalon
  • ccriderccrider Member Posts: 26
    Hey duck. I, for one, really enjoyed your post. I'm still thinking about the Avalon and Maxima. The Maxima just doesn't sit as comfortably as the Avalon, and I'm 90% sure that the Avalon will be my final decision if I can work out the pricing details. My original three choices were the Chrysler 300, Maxima, and Avalon. My main decision is between Lunar Mist and Phantom Grey. Leaning toward the Grey at this point, and I would think that there would be more silvers than greys on the road which would be an advantage to getting grey. But silver is easier on showing dirt. Decisions, decisions...
  • barclay3barclay3 Member Posts: 90
    "Now a question. At some point I believe I read that because of the engine redesign and the catalytic mufflers that this vehicle now falls under the classification as an “Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle”. I do not recall where I read this. But.. if this is true, does this mean that we now qualify for some of the federal tax credits that apply to such vehicles???? "

Waterduck...Excellent review. I hope there is a tax accountant out there that can answer your question if it qualifies for a federal tax credit. My brother lives in Middlebury. Do you plan on getting 4 snow tire next winter for all the snow you get?

For any of you that have had a problem with the center seam on the leather seats bothering you...did the dealer fix the problem??

I am still 2 - 3 weeks away from getting my Limited (ordered 2/25/05).
  • just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    havalongavalon, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. I have been saying this in three earlier posts that mine line up perfectly, that you just have to lower your head, but you said it so much better then me and thank you for that. I first wrote about that when one biased reporter spoke about shoddy workmanship not expected by Toyota to not line it up the simulated wood trim dash with the door simulated wood. It was my son, an engineering Doctor genius who said the gap in the curve between the two will give you that illusion but said Dad just lower your head to the same horizontal plane and you will see they are perfectly lined up. Again I thank you for describing it better for all who post here.One other thing not related to this discussion. I was on a back road with my wife today, and decided it was time to really check the 0 to 60 and see if there is any hesitation once I floored it. I waited until there were no cars in sight and made sure I wasn't on any sand or dirt. Then down my foot went fast and hard, no spin at all, I just took off like a rocket and without a stop watch my wife with a second hand on her watch said it was less than 7 seconds. So I can't tell if it was 6.5, 6.4 or 6.8, but under 7 seconds for sure. Next, NO, ABSOLUTELY no hesitation, I didn't even feel or know that it shifted from one gear to another, it just went smooth as can be with that nice purring sound. It was a little scary how fast it went, I'm convinced and won't do that again.
    Thanks Jordan7 for your input.
  • gschultz3gschultz3 Member Posts: 134
    My review is not listed? Maybe somebody at Edmunds doesn't like too many positive reviews? Just kidding!
  • lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    I am one that complained about the seam in the back of the seats and took it to the dealer. He said they couldn't really do anything about it because of the heating/cooling system. I guess I've gotten use to them because they don't bother me anymore, but my son won't drive it without a pillow behind his back. He said it really bugs him, but he has back problems anyway.
    Nope, old review.
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    I hit 4,653 miles tonight on my 05 LTD. Can anyone top this?

Just curious.

MikeS.
  • grozagroza Member Posts: 89
    "It looks to me as though Toyota was telling you, aside from the politeness and caveats, that the tires they furnish are V-rated at 130 (not 149), which certainly makes it sound like governing the speed at 127 is very prudent."

William: A V rating is a tire industry standard, not a Toyota standard. V rated tires are rated 149 mph. H rated tires are rated 130 mph.

"I suspect Toyota's response was just a carefully worded factual statement--and for any number of reasons the company would not confirm or deny any speed limit."

William: I agree. Toyota knows their bad boy will do a buck fifty, but doesn't want to put it in writing. They use V rated tires because H rated tires (130 mph) won't cut the mustard.

Mack, have you got any feedback from your mechanic about governed speed? Or can't you say anything either? If so, please call me and my friends at 1 (800) WEWANNAGOFAST.

Groza
  • waterduckwaterduck Member Posts: 4
    I won't be putting any snow tires on our Avalon. In 30 years haven't really needed them although I have to mention that I only have a 15 minute commute to the office (bad day is when it takes 25 minutes!). Around here the roads are normally plowed throughout the night while it's snowing and clear within 24 hours after snow stops. A little common sense and a bit of caution as well as allowing extra time has gone a long way - never been late or missed a class in all that time. I figure that the vehicle stability and traction control will help out with the rest. Besides, Middlebury gets more snow than we do here in the 'banana belt'! When we lived in North Carolina, however, 1/4" would wipe out everyone for a couple of days!

HavalongAvalon, thanks for the pointer on the mirror. I should have figured that out!! LOL!

Sorry to hear the stories about how long it is taking some to get their cars - it took us 6 days from deciding and ordering and delivery/in our hands. Luck of the draw I guess. Nice think was that the sales person called me up yesterday to check and see if I'd sold my old car (the Volvo) and then told me how to get a partial refund on the state sales tax based on my private sale!
  • alphawolfalphawolf Member Posts: 100
    "Anyway, for those who want a remote start for your 05 Avalon, make sure you know what you're buying for the $500 MSRP. It will start your car if it's next to you, but not when it's over 50-80 ft away. In my case it was definitely a mistake to add the remote start. The dealer and factory person said they're sorry that the Toyota system doesn't meet my needs, but it just wasn't designed to do that."

Would an aftermarket remote start void the warranty?

Thx

Dean
  • gbinplanogbinplano Member Posts: 65
    My dealer called yesterday and told me that the Indigo LTD I ordered on March 14th would arrive at port in 29 days, and it should be available to me 4-5 days later, around May 26th. I was comfortable with the thought of getting an extended warranty at a reasonable price from the dealer in Massachusetts until I read in the 'Extended Warranties' forum that Toyota Financial does not sell the EW in Texas among other states.

My question for those who have taken delivery in Texas, what is the best price available for a $0 deductible 7yr-100K warranty?

Greg :confuse:
  • analyticangelanalyticangel Member Posts: 83
    Hi maceman
    Havent seen your posts for a while. Am wondering what finally happened and if you are able to get a car!
  • analyticangelanalyticangel Member Posts: 83
    My understanding is that you can still buy it from Greenfield in Mass if you live in Texas You just cant buy it in Texas but it will be honored by dealers there
    It is the same situation in Florida..........Southeast Toyota does not sell it buy I can still buy it from a dealer out of state that does

I was seriously considering doing so but one wise person on this forum pointed out to me that you can buy it anytime before your warranty is up..........

If I get one it will only be the warramty from Toyota directly but there is no advantage that i can tell to buy it at time of or soon after purchase from Greenfield as opposed to when the car is almost 3 years old
    The prices go up only slightly if at all , the money can sit in my account and heaven forbid the car gets totalled or I have to sell it before the extended warranty takes place I protect myself from losing the money I paid for the extended warranty.........
  • gbinplanogbinplano Member Posts: 65
    Thanks, analyticangel, for your reply. Like you, I prefer to pay myself the TVM. However, my wife wants the warranty when we get the car for security reasons. Who am I to argue ;) ?

My real concern is that Greenfield is selling the Toyota Financial Extended Warranty. Since Gulf States Toyota is a separate financial entity from Toyota Motor Corporation, USA, will Greenfield be able to sell me the Toyota Extended Warranty? Of course, I will contact them to get their answer. I fear that territorial exclusivity agreements between Toyota USA and Gulf States Toyota may apply. I plan to use Greenfield's price as a negotiation tool if I get it. I would prefer to do all of my business with the local Toyota dealer for relationship reasons, but only if the cost case works.

Greg
  • 54gradsteds54gradsteds Member Posts: 102
    First off, I want to assure all that I have no intention of ruffling anyone's feathers. It is, in fact, a great car, and I plan to own one next year, hoping that by that time, Toyota will have paid attention to concerns posted in forums like this one. My main gripe, as one who has owned a new '85 Cressida (10 years), and a '95 Avalon for the same length of time, is the quality of the leather in the seats, and the design/workmanship of same. Both my previous
    Toyotas had leather, and the seats were beautiful, but this perforated leather is thin enough to read a newspaper through, and there are too many places with unnecessary folds which will eventually settle into a permanent crease or two, and become even more unsightly, perhaps even cracking over time. That may not seem to be a problem to those who get a new car every two or three years, but it is a potential
    problem for guys like me. I thought that the non-perforated leather on the XLS (since I see absolutely no need for my tush to be either heated or air-conditioned) would do the job just fine, but after looking over about six models at Miller Toyota in Manassas yesterday, they ALL also have unnecessary, vertical folds at about belly-button height, which suggests either insufficient padding , poor design, or sloppy workmanship---take your choice. I am sold on leather for its ease of entry-exit, particularly for older or slightly infirm people, and also for its practicality in resisting spills, stains, etc... I hope Toyota get enough complaints about this to remedy the situation in future months. I would hate to think Toyota's joined the parade of bean-counters who look only at the bottom line and deliberately chose to short-change people who would spend in excess of $30,000 for a car with inferior materials. I'll bet Maxima, Acura other serious competitors have vastly superior leather in their seats! Shame on you, Toyota! You've enticed us, and then short-changed us! And, while I'm venting my spleen, please, please, please, have a serious meeting about the absolutely LAME, UNIMAGINATIVE COLORS offered for such a quality automobile!
  • ronnronn Member Posts: 398
    Waterduck.....congrats on your new Limited. I agree with the previous post, that you really sumed things up well. Thanks for the great post. By the way, I'm 46 and I do spike my hair up some, I wear beads of all types, so don't be too hard on us that do!!!!! LOL I call it the sort of middle age crisis thing.
    I think the federal tax credit would be great!!!
    Have a great weekend,

RONN
  • ronnronn Member Posts: 398
    54gradsteds..I do agree with you on the color choices. THEY NEED MORE. I would like to say that I love my leather seats, and they are very comfortable in the Limited. I found the Maxima not to be as good looking with there seats, and they were very uncomfortable. Same with the expensive RL Acura that I tried out. Not as nice!
    Have a great day!

RONN
  • boatsmanboatsman Member Posts: 37
    INT are you sure you don't have the lumbar support blown all the way full hard? It makes a huge difference in how the seat back feels.
  • dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    I have a remote start with my Limited and it works every time I use it (from inside my house). I haven't tried the maximum distance, but to say that the user must be next to their car for it to work is not an accurate statement. You may be having a problem with your remote start, but that doesn't mean that all the remote start systems are defective. You shouldn't settle with a defective system and escalate with Toyota.
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    There is an extensive forum here on Edmunds on extended warranties, going back at least a couple of years. There are a number of industry experts contributing, and the consensus I got after a couple of days of plowing through the posts was to avoid third party (not factory-backed) extended warranties, as they will ultimately cause grief. Problems with getting claims approved were up front, but many other reasons as well. They can be a little cheaper, but on the whole experts said they weren't good bets. See posts on that forum by Driftracer in particular. He is a former service dept. manager who dealt with many of said warranty companies.
    If you get a film protectant put on, do you still wax that area?
  • barclay3barclay3 Member Posts: 90
    54 gradsteds...We have the same car buying pattern. I had a brown 85 Cressida (10 years), a red 95 Avalon ( 10 years ) and now waiting for my red 05 Avalon which I will own for 10 years if I live that long. I agree with you on the limited color selection. I wish they offered a beige interior with dark wood.

For all you speed demons... I kept my 85 Cressida between 95 and 105 for one hour straight. I did 100 miles for that hour and felt completely safe.
    There is considerable difference of opinion on this Forum as to when the 2006 Avalon comes out. Now you say there is a "2006 1/4"? If possible, could you amplify your comment as to your opinion of the information's reliability, credibility, source (names not necessary), and any other details you may have? thanks. :confuse:
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    There is a link to that warranty discussion here: pat, "Toyota Avalon 2005+" #4765, 22 Apr 2005 4:30 pm
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Ronn, I emailed you yesterday and haven't heard back?
  • cmptrguy74cmptrguy74 Member Posts: 21
    Congrats to all 2005 Avalon owners. I've ready nearly every single message posted on this thread over last few weeks. I'm STRONGLY considering ordering a new Avalon (Blizzard Pearl Limited w/Graphite & Dark Wood, all options except possibly remote start) by end of year. Currently, I own a 2002 Nissan Maxima SE w/all options (including Navigation) and am wanting a new, modern vehicle with smoother engine & ride quality.

I briefly drove a Phantom Grey Limited w/all options, and must say I was VERY impressed with smooth/quite ride & roominess in rear seat. Didn't like the fact that remote start didn't allow me to walk up to car and drive away (w/secure fob in pocket). Shuts off the second the door is opened. Don't want unnecessary wear & tear on my future baby by stopping & starting it back-to-back on a daily basis.

In any case, I have significant non-owner experience (if that makes any sense) driving a 2004 Lexus RX 330, and have been really impressed. Doing all research, I've found numerous positive reviews and a tremendous history of holding high percentage of value. Doing same value comparisons, I just don't see as much value holding (overall) on the Avalons. Now, granted, the past Avalons haven't been as technologically advanced - but we're talking both Lexus (name), SUV (type), & AWD (convenience) vs. Toyota, Sedan, & FWD. I just don't know how a $36,000 (or so before taxes & such) Avalon will fair 5 years down road... Maybe worth $12-15K??? All in all, my wife wants Avalon, I love Avalon's technology & quality (all the way down to my favorite MXV4 tires), and the price is $5K cheaper than similarly equipped AWD Lexus. But, I don't want to be kicking myself a year from now knowing that I was 5K away from an SUV w/Lexus badge.

By chance, are there any other forum members that are considering these two vehicles - or better yet, have made their decision &/or purchase? Are any of you waiting till the 06 Avalon comes out so teething pains (however minimal they are) can be worked out.
    I have some limited experience driving my friend's RX 330 with luxury and sport package.

I think you are getting hung up on crunching numbers too much.

Do you need AWD? Do you and your wife just want to be seated higher up and have the Lexus badge?

I don't see much of a comparison on the two vehicles. If you need/want a full size car then the Avalon is a great choice. If you want a mid sized Luxury SUV then the 330 is a great choice.

You don't need to justify your purchases to anyone...except yourself. ;-)

There's no wrong choice as they are both good options.

My friend's 330 has just over 30k miles on it and not one single problem. The 05 Avalon is new this year as you pointed out.

The 330 retains it's value well and was in Consumer Reports as a Best Pick. If you have a good deal lined up and want it now...get it.

When the 06 Avalon comes out you can sell it if you want to get the Avalon.

Just a few random thoughts...

Dean

PS- Just read your post again. I thought you were going to get a used 330. You are stating you can get a loaded RX 330 for $40k out the door? Hmm. I guess so. Just did Edmunds TMV and with options I picked invoice came to $39,405.

You can take a look at residuals on the Avalon and have a fair idea of it's value.
  • lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    I have played with the lumbar support moving it all the way both directions and so has my son. It is the seam that is the problem. I have had two avalons and the seats in both were much better. There just doesn't seem to be enough padding in the area above that seam. To me it feels kind of hollow. Like I said, I have gotten use to it - except on long trips. It is my son that has the complaint. He hopes to inherit it some day-ha, ha.
  • havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    I installed the Awell 4-sensor & beeper system this afternoon and it works perfectly. As you predicted, johni, the supplied connectors were problematic; one made good contact but the other didn't, so I removed it and made an old-fashioned wire-to-wire connection. I installed the beeper directly onto the metal underside of the rear shelf, half way between the center speaker and the left-center speaker (JPL sound system), near a 1" square hole through which I could see the underside of the rear shelf. This location allows the sound to carry well into the cabin.

Thanks again for the useful leads, johni. Your earlier posts convinced me to buy the same Awell system from this internet supplier. Total cost: US$ 99.95 plus Can $58.47 for shipping, taxes and broker fees, or about Can $185.00 The Toyota dealer would have charged me Can$ 699 + tax = Can$ 800 to install a (nearly identical) Sienna parking sensor system.

Havalongavalon
  • ejmannejmann Member Posts: 12
    I spoke to Toyota and the dealer service people about the remote start which has a short range of 50 -70 ft. I have an aftermarket brand on my 04 Highlander (doesn't void the warranty) that has much greater range. I need about 130 ft to start the car outside the office here in the Michigan winters. The Toyota remote just won't do it. Plus, the remote system shuts the car off when you press the unlock button to enter the car. Does yours do that too? Competitve brands don't force you to restart the car after unlocking the doors.. My major concern is the limited range of operation provided by Toyota which makes it useless in my case. I am disappointed that Toyota didn't provide a better system for such a great car as the Avalon.
  • williamtwilliamt Member Posts: 39
    "William: A V rating is a tire industry standard, not a Toyota standard. V rated tires are rated 149 mph. H rated tires are rated 130 mph."

I hate to stand corrected, so I'll just lean back here and take it! I was expecting auto tires are rated the way aircraft tires are--but as I said, I knew up front I'd be better off not contradicting you, Groza. Thanks for the correction.

But the big news is that today I took delivery of my indigo ink pearl Limited. Wow! It is the first Limited I've seen, since my dealer can't meet the demand as it is (I ordered it on February 28th and it was expected the middle of May). I am up to 32 miles now (it had 6 when I got it). The navigation system is super accurate and even chose my favorite route of many options in one case. And that laser cruise control is SUPER. It's the main reason I leaned toward the Limited, but all the other features....Oh, the cool seats when on blower turned out to be much more essential than I realized. How did I live without it?

I went out in the garage tonight to see the puddle lights. They're neat alright, but I didn't realize I have an alarm system. When I reached in through the open driver's window to unlock the door manually all hell broke loose. I probably woke up the neighbors==it was flashing and beeping while I dashed for the kitchen to get my little key fob, then ran back and punched buttons until it stopped. Yikes!

I also didn't think I needed that adjustable under-knee support, but now I do! I find it definitely helps me make the seat extra comfortable. I also love the dimming mirrors and the turning signals in the side mirrors--very neat. The automatic headlights work fine, but I haven't tried the automatic windshield wipers yet. (I nearly chased a thunderstorm for that purpose today, but I was too busy reading the manuals.)

XM radio is activated now, but I've not tried it yet. I'm not fond of the chintzy dealer antenna installation, since the wire will depress the trunk sealing, but lack of symmetry doesn't bother me at all. On their website XM says if the installer put it inside the car you should make them move it outside at no charge--they say it -will- experience reception drop-outs. I know some on this formum claim perfect reception even with it inside.

BTW, that graphite and dark wood interior is perfect with the indigo ink.

And speaking of tires, I was delighted to find the Limited came with Michelin XM4s, my favorite tires. I had just put a set on my '02 Avalon, which I am giving to my very deserving son. Apparently they put Firestones on all other Avalons...but don't quote me on that.

Bill
    Thanks for follow-up...

You're absolutely correct - we (especially me) love being higher off the road - just like the feel of it - and would have use for the rear fold-down cargo area... While I have an 02 Maxima, my wife has an 04 Sienna - we're both in love with the Sienna! So while that car stays, the Maxima goes (soon). Since we have a new addition (10 1/2 months now) to the family, van is a must - but we'd prefer not to drive it 100% of the time. We'd split it more evenly with the Lexus, but probably more of a 25-75 split for the Avalon.

The 04 Lexus RX330 I've drove extensively is my parents... We live nearly two thousand miles away from them, so every time we visit (normally every major holiday and sometimes for 2-3 weeks at a time), we're allocated the Lexus to drive :-)

We're only considering brand new (preferably ordered w/out even test drive miles)... That's how we received both current vehicles - and we'd strongly prefer continuing this way. I've verbally negotiated about $500 over invoice on the Lexus... At present, invoice is looking like nearly $39,700 (Performance Plus Pkg, Navigation, 18", 6-disc, Rain Sensing Wipers + Heated Seats, ...). So $500 over is just over $40k... The Blizzard Pearl Avalon Limited w/all options + spoiler, but excluding remote start & XM, is @ $33,700. Problem is I'm having a rather difficult time getting a better price than $1,500 over invoice - as apose to the easy $500 over invoice for the Lexus. After math, this comes to a $5K difference on the nose! BUT, if we could somehow negotiate an Avalon price @ $1,000 over invoice, and combine this with tax/title/license differences, we're actually talking about a $6,000 difference between the two! Ouch, now, you're cutt'n a little deep into pockets.

We'd only consider the AWD Lexus - value in, value out... The future used value retains most of the AWD vs. FWD cost difference - so pretty much a no brainer for us in this regard.

Ride quality & up-front $$$ savings differences may pay off though... The 04 Lexus I've drove has 17" rims (apparently popular in mid-west, but very rare out here - most are 18"). I know we'd get the 18" - so a bit worse ride Quality I'm sure. Hmm... Decisions, decisions...

Regarding your buy & sell 1 year later option - ouch... California (to my knowledge) doesn't take advantage of trade-in tax savings like other states... Hence, the $3,500 tax cost on the 1st vehicle would be a complete waste - with another $3,500 to pay for the 2nd vehicle - no special tax-on-difference breaks out here! This would be a killer in taxes alone - let alone the amount of $$$ car drops the second it's drove off lot! Nope - once we get this new baby, we're keeping it for a minimum of 3 yrs - with 5 years being target.

To be honest, Lexus badge appears to be a little worth it - regarding future value... I'm not hung up on Mercedes, BMW, or Lexus brands too much, but love seeing their apparent used-car worth & respect years after birth ;)

I appreciate the comments.
  • fdcapt2fdcapt2 Member Posts: 122
    This is my first post here, and I still haven't made up my mind on which car I will buy. I'm stuck between the Limited, the Acura TL, and the Nissan Maxima. I drive an '03 TL now, and love it. I know there is a big difference between the Avalon and the other 2 cars, but I'm still up in the air. I realize that the Avalon is a brand new car as far as design, equipt., etc., but has anyone heard of changes to be made on the '06 Avalon? I would really like to see power pedals, a power tilt and scope wheel, cornering lights, and for the interior controls for the mirrors, windows, and steering wheel controls to have a brighter light. I've test driven the Avalon XLS a few times, only because they had no Limiteds, and the Limited a bunch of times. What an amazing car. Any info would be welcomed......thanks :confuse:
  • avalonbobavalonbob Member Posts: 35
    I have the factory remote start on my XLS. It has worked fine for me. I can start my car when it is in the garage and I can start it from my third floor office where my car is parked (I'm guessing) around 150 ft. away. I wasn't really sure it would work from that far away, but I have used it three times and it has worked fine.

I don't understand why the car shuts off when you unlock the doors but it doesn't bother me too much.
    Here is a very recent, very complimentary review:

2005 Toyota Avalon Touring Edition
  • grozagroza Member Posts: 89
    "I don't understand why the car shuts off when you unlock the doors but it doesn't bother me too much."

Bob: To foil thieves, children and thieving children.

Groza
    Actually I was concurring with the previous poster regarding the car shutting off but, on second thought, it seems like the car would have to shut off. Because my car is an XLS, it requires a key. The car would have to shut off so you could put to key in...correct?

Bob
    You have got to be an obsessive compulsive personality with so many conflicting thoughts. I'm out of breath reading your posts. Buy the SUV already, you won't be happy with anything else and will second guess yourself as you need that extra room for the family, JMHO. Any decision you make is the right one. Trying to have others help you decide on this forum only shows your insecurity in making a decision. You can do it, make up your own mind, your an intelligent human being, just go with your guts, that's the best way and start living with less inner turmoil.
    Yes depreciation can be figured into the buying equation for some people, well if you want it to and you keep the car for a few years. There is more to value than just price, see the link.http://www.antiquecar.com/feature_vehicle_values.php
    I just read what I posted, regarding obsessive compulsive, I didn't mean to post that, so forgive me, my thoughts just came out and don't mean to criticize you, I hope you forgive me. I just think you should make a decision and not drive yourself nuts with doubts after doubts, and why I said your decision will be the right one whatever you decide.
    Haha! No worries :-)

Don't get me wrong I AM going to make my OWN decision - and will conduct my dd accordingly. But in this course of action, I at least attempt to gather some thoughts from others - and know that in this price category, there has to be some folks who considered midsized SUV vs. large sedan - especially in this high gas-price age.

By the time I purchase my vehicle, I'll feel extremely comfortable with my choice - knowing that I went through hoops & bounds to research & ping similar thoughts of others.

Thanks for comments.
  • angeange Member Posts: 158
    Your delivery time sure sounds good to me. I placed 1000.00 deposit on an Avalon Limited with only one option,VSC, on 2-19-05.Got a call from the dealer on 4-22-05 telling me my Limited did not arrive but I could pick from 3 XLS.

I was wasn't a happy camper as I thought the call was to tell me the car was in. I am told Toyota sent the three XLS cars instead, They had no control over these cars sent. I was told Toyota is building Limiteds now, loaded.

I am sure there a number of dealers reading these imputs. Can anyone give a better explaination for this long time car delivery? I am not sure what to think happened, this deal has a smell to it.

Typical car salesman story. I was told there is a Limited to be delivered in late May, but it is loaded. I did not want the nav or cruse control, but to get a car that I almost wanted I had no choice,I got deal on these extras. They added on the dealer invoice cost to the origional agreement of sale.

I have had about 20 company cars and I never heard of these reasons, excuses, or whatever. I sure hope the dealer did not sell my car to someone else because they would pay a better price or sticker price.

Any comments? Ange1
  • deaniedeanie Member Posts: 172
    Hi Cmptrguy74:
    I have a three year old and a 1 1/2 month old new addition, and they are precisely why I chose the Avalon over a Highlander (Lexus minus badge and trim/options), or a Minivan (Oddesy or Sienna - spelling?). The Avalon handles, brakes and accelerates better than any RX, Highlander, Sienna etc., which makes it better at avoiding an accident than the others, and as such makes the Avalon a safer vehicle for parents choosing between a car and an SUV/Minivan - unless of course, you live in an area where you routinely drive in a lot of snow and need the AWD. Besides, the Avalon is a lot of fun when you lean on the gas pedal, and gets better mileage - make sure you drive 'em all before you decide. All IMHO of course, except for the part about the handling, braking, accelerating, accident avoidance, fuel economy.

The money is another thing to consider. Insurance for the Avalon is probably cheaper than for the RX330 (call your insurance broker/agent before deciding). You talk about a $5,000 price difference with the Avalon at $1,500 over invoice. Two weeks ago (in MD), I bought at $657 over for an XLS w/VSC, etc, so getting under is $1,000 is emminently doable. I'm nobody special and anyone can get such a discount, or less if you do your homework, approach a sales manager who just got a delivery of Avalons, and are prepared to buy "today" right now (not next week) out of dealer stock. And yes, my $657 over invoice deal was valid for Limiteds as well. If you're willing to wait another month or so, it seems supplies are improving and dealers are more willing to deal, so less work will be needed to get an Avalon for less than $1,000 over invoice.

But I digress. If you're willing to get the Avalon and put that $5000 (or $6000) into your 401K, IRA, or a CD, AND remember the many hundreds $$$ saved in gas and insurance over 3-5 yrs, your choice becomes a little more difficult .

I'm not an accountant, but you'd probably be way ahead of the game, financially, "safety-wise", and "fun-wise", if you go with the Avalon. Also, the money you save may also serve as a substantial down payment on the next SUV/minivan you buy when the Sienna is ready to be sold/traded in, or you could do that next vehicle purchase that much sooner. Hope I've helped.
    Regards,
    Deanie
    Go for the 330. Are you sure you'd want the sport package? You are right that it makes the ride more harsh. When I helped drive my buddies down to FL from NY, I was surprised at hearing/feeling the freeway joints much more than I thought I would.

Does your Parent's 330 have the sport suspension? I've never driven one without it, but I really noted how the ride was much more harsh than I felt a luxury SUV should be.

Be sure to test drive with the sport suspension before you get it.

If you can afford the payments and feel it's worth it, then go for it. There's no way it's a bad decision especially if this is a vehicle you'll keep for over 3 years.

Don't forget to factor in the extra taxes and whether there is a difference in insurance...if you are crunching the numbers.

Have you considered a 3yr lease on the 330? Not sure about CA, but you may be able to save a good bit on taxes and can use that down payment for other things if you just had a baby.

Did you consider the Highlander at all, as that is a much better comparison vehicle than the Avalon IMO. You can get a fully loaded Limited with nearly all options checked off for $34k invoice.

What would be some reasons you'd pick the Avalon over the 330 or Highlander? I mean, if you want to sit higher up and have the utility of the cargo space...that's the way you'd be going.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    This seems to be a subject of frequent discussion. The attempt by Toyota to lower the average age of the Avalon buyer by producing a new body style and more powerful engine is working. We, of the previous Avalon generation, really never asked this question. Times change.

Rather than have someone report their findings from a remote stretch of Oklahoma interstate, perhaps we can do a little math and reasonably calculate this magic number. We might not get it exact, but the test results will not include "deer collision damage estimate" and "police radio somewhat faster than Touring edition."

Another advantage is that we can all participate together. Ready? The Edmunds.com virtual straightaway is ours. Buckle up, lock the doors and "Gentlemen (ladies), start your....... research."

We need the following:
    1. Standard tire size
    2. Final drive ratio
    3. Transmission gear ratios, gear IV and V both
    4. Max torque output @ rpm
    5. Max hp output @ rpm
    6. Vehicle weight, loaded
    7. Value of a slice of common "Pi"

Eager drivers: Please do not get ahead.
    Advanced drivers: Which one of the above is meaningless in the task?
    To stay on topic and within the rules of Edmunds.com, use ONLY the available figures for the 2005 Avalon. This is an open forum and all relevant ideas, comments and corrections are always welcome. Let's ride...... :)
  • jordan7jordan7 Member Posts: 77
    Ange1. I guess I got LUCKY. I also order a Platinum Limited with only the VSC option on Feb 19th. I picked up my Ltd on March 19th and have driven from Maryland to Florida. I purchsed it through UBS and paid $600 above invoice with NO dealer prep charge. I fell very fortunate and have enjoyed the car. I think your dealer is playing games (it does not surprise me since they will do what they can for the profit margin) and wish you good luck. Maybe a call to Toyota Corporate would help.