Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• rwb2rwb2 Member Posts: 85
    I do admit, El Jefe1 it's hard to stay off the gas. We just must pay when we do. By the way I called Toyota tonight (they're on Pacific time), my LTD is one of the recalled ones. I wonder if Mac knows how long it will take to inspect and then replace if necessary.
  • miket99miket99 Member Posts: 6
    yes, here is what is in the news regarding the recall.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=domesticNews&storyID=8576541

"defect in the steering wheel column that could result in a loss of control of the vehicle, the company and U.S. safety regulators said on Monday"

"The recall is another blow for the world's second-largest automaker, which last week recalled about 880,000 sport utility vehicles and pickups worldwide due to a defect in the front suspension that could hamper steering. "
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Sales are usually hottest during the first few months after introduction of a new model. Many people were sitting on the sidelines waiting for it and postponed purchases they may have made a few months earlier otherwise. Plus the car is new and a novelty which makes it more exiting to buy during the first few months.

Plus you are comparing sales to the final year of a lame-duck model.

Don't expect the same sales pace to be sustained.
  • mmg1mmg1 Member Posts: 29
    Just wondering!! What number do you call regarding steering wheel recall?
    mmg1
  • avalonkittenavalonkitten Member Posts: 20
    Strange when I bought the cargo net, the directions said to use those hooks as the attachment point for the net. I took the car in and they did reset the power strip assembly. I was glad because it has been raining and I was afraid I was going to get water in it. On the other hand, they said there was nothing wrong with the hook and then it came off while the service advisor was showing me there was nothing wrong with it. Still, they did not replace it. He said they would have to fix it eventually. Strange, I thought that I took off work to have him fix it now. I am now teased when I come into the service lane about whether I want the transmission fixed again. The problem is that it really is not funny to me anymore. I was so glad to see in another posting that Toyota finally admitted that people are having a transmission problem. I only hope they are able to do something about it sooner than later. I am becoming quite attached to my Avalon in spite of it's "issues". Someone also posted about the car being for the older crowd. I was concerned about it when I first got the car but Evanescence in the CD player helps to dispel the stuffy image. I added unconventional vanity tags so with minor changes the car adjusts to a younger style while still spoiling you with creature comforts.
  • avalonowneravalonowner Member Posts: 8
    I use 91 octane gas on my '05 Avalon Touring. My city has been about 24 mpg and my best highway was 34 mpg. I typically get 25-26 mpg for mixed driving. I found that I can achiev best gas mileage by keeping the engine below 2000 RPM while cruising on the freeway (~60 mph). Unfortunate my typical highway commute is either 70 mph.

Thanks!
  • rwb2rwb2 Member Posts: 85
    800-331-4331.Have your VIN number handy and be prepared to jump thru many hoops before reaching a human. They said the letters will start going out the first wek of June. The toyota rep seemed almost surprised with the call. His first question was "how did you hear about this". Yet another reason why this forum is great.
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    "800-331-4331.Have your VIN number handy and be prepared to jump thru many hoops before reaching a human. They said the letters will start going out the first wek of June. The toyota rep seemed almost surprised with the call. His first question was "how did you hear about this". Yet another reason why this forum is great."

I was one of the first to post about this recall and provided the TSB #, SSC50F. I was called last Friday morning by my selling dealer and advised to come in ASAP. I actually took it to my local small town Toyota dealer. So tell Toyota that some of us have Dealers calling us about these things.

MikeS.
    For those of you worried about gas mileage, don't sweat it so soon. The engine does need some time to break in and mileage DOES get better as you get more miles on it. With almost 6K miles I'm averaging 28.3 on 87 octane in mixed cith/highway driving. Highway speeds are 70+ mph.

MikeS.
  • pdr99pdr99 Member Posts: 2
    Since you mentioned the Nav system, I would like to know how to find out the latest version of the Nav DVD.

The DVD version number on my menu screen ("DVD" is upper right icon) screen says "Ver.04.1". I saw a version 4.2 referenced somewhere but cannot relocate. Thanks
    I posted a couple days ago about a soft knocking that I'm hearing. No one has replied back with a similar concern. Would a few of you kind folks please take a listen to your fully warmed up engine, from outside the car preferably and report back if you hear anything other then a quiet purr.

TIA

MikeS.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    How to reach a human when the automated answering thing is driving you crazy: push nothing, say nothing, absolutely nothing, just stay on the line. Eventually the thing will transfer you to a real person. :shades:
  • bakeroidbakeroid Member Posts: 39
    bwia,

The special appeal is VALUE. And the fact that my wife insisted on the ventillated seats if we were going to have leather in the Florida sun.

Indifference vs. passion for a car is a very personal thing. Some people actually thought that a ''75 Volvo station wagon was a thing of beauty. My passion tends to run toward my new AV or a '41 Packard 160 Convertible.

bakeroid
  • avaloncruiseravaloncruiser Member Posts: 19
    The good news :D , my Avalon Limited wasn't part of the recall....thanks for the advanced notice and phone number mikes & rwb2! The bad news....my Avy is still in the shop after 12 days waiting for the axel seal to be fixed. :sick: Hopefully the part will be in today. I am tired of this rental car!
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    In 2004, when I bought my Toyota Sienna, I noticed there was a lack of standardization of color names, both interior and exterior, across the various Toyota automobiles. A few had color names in common, like Desert Sand Mica, but others would have a similar gold color with a different name. It wasn't clear to me whether it was the identical paint with a different name, or a similar but in fact different color. For interiors, I noticed that Sienna offered an "Ivory" interior, while the Camry offered "taupe". In all the research I've done on Avalon, I haven't seen the taupe color available for the Avalon line, just ivory. Beyond that, the interior colors I've seen are light gray, dark gray (graphite), and charcoal (black).
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Mike, that soft knocking you hear is probably your wife knocking on the window telling you to get to work rather than sitting in the driveway dreaming about that V6 under the hood!
    :blush:
    Mackabee
    Pat, it's not a lack of standardization on the exterior colors. They are different. We have about 5 different shades of silver right now across the line. Titanium silver which is available in the 4runner and Rav4 and Avalon, Silver streak mica now on the Corolla and Tacoma, previously on the Celica, Lunar mist (everybodys favorite) Last year on Avalon, this year and before on Camry, last year on Corolla. Silver shadow pearl on Sienna, Millenium silver on Highlander and previous generation 4runner, Silver sky on Sequoia, and last but not least Thunder cloud metallic now on Scion xB and previously on 4runner. If you line up all these silver cars in a row you will see the different shades of silver in them. The Thunder cloud is more of a pewter and stands out more than the other colors. You can also differentiate them by looking at the color codes, they are listed on the window sticker next to the model number such as 2532/04Q2 which is a 4 cylinder Camry LE in Desert sand pearl. Paint companies have all these codes in their product lines. Hope this clears up any confusion regarding the exterior colors.
    Mackabee
    :shades:
  • just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    I called and the CD Rom will be mailed to me in about two weeks, I have a case number to refer to if it doesn't come, the number is 800-331-4331. I also found out my cars actual manufacturing date was Jan 28. I ordered it around Feb 6 or 7, and got it around Feb 15th. Regarding the steering wheel issue. A letter will be mailed the beginning of June. It only involves something like the first 6,000 cars. Mine was around the first 4,000 produced. I called my Dealer. You can take a trip even before the letter and they will inspect and check the weld and if it's one that has been affected they will order the new one.
    The XLS interior with the Desert Sand Mica exterior is only available in Ivory with the leather. Taupe is not available. In reality, my leather seats looks more like a blend of taupe and ivory. It's blends well with the exterior color.
  • bettersafebettersafe Member Posts: 92
    All,

Passing some information to you from the "Engine Hesitation" forum. Some folks have found that their transmissions had too much transmission fluid from the factory. Some of the hesitation problems went away when the fluid was at the proper level. It is such a simple thing to overlook, and so easy to check.

BetterSafe
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    Avaloncruiser said: " Hopefully the part will be in today. I am tired of this rental car!"

I'm assuming they give you free rental if they keep your car for that length of time. My local dealer told me they only supply a rental if they are going to keep your car overnight. My present Chrysler dealer always gave me a free rental anytime I needed warranty service even if in the shop for less than a day.

for those you that needed warranty service: did your dealer give you a free rental even if you didnt have to leave it for less than a day? I hate waiting in waiting rooms or having to get my own road when a brand new car needs warranty service.
  • grozagroza Member Posts: 89
    "Would a few of you kind folks please take a listen to your fully warmed up engine, from outside the car preferably and report back if you hear anything other then a quiet purr. "

Mike, I recorded a jpeg of my warmed up 05 XLS, aka Poetry in Motion. Get real close to the screen and listen to mine. Ready?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Groza
    Yes, easyrider.....dealer is paying for the rental!
    I just called to let them know I've never received the CD Rom even though I was told it would be sent to me over 12 weeks ago. I also got my manufacture date...my baby's birthday is January 12, 05....same birthday as my father's :D
    "Mike, that soft knocking you hear is probably your wife knocking on the window telling you to get to work rather than sitting in the driveway dreaming about that V6 under the hood!

Mackabee"

Mack, I wish it WAS that simple. But wait, read my next post I found something interesting.

MikeS.
    Someone posted a link to an Avalon article on About.com. That article led to this one, again on About.com

"Test drive: 2005 Toyota Avalon Touring
    Walk-Through
    from Philip Powell
    On the Road

>>>Snipped

At least my goof endorsed the wide torque range available: quieter than a butterfly's wings, smoother than a railway locomotive. Except, and this is really odd, when idling. I haven't heard such tappet ticking since I last drove a Morris Minor."

Well at least someone else is hearing what I am.

Hey Groza, a sound file JPEG, that is a new one. I hope you patented it or copyrighted it or something.

MikeS.
    This car has been a hot buy for the 60+ crowd since it debuted in 1995. With the large portion of retirees in Fla I think that the dealers are being good capitalist applying the rules of supply & demand. If they can get bucks over MSRP then they are going to do that.

It is up to us, the consumer, to fight back and buy where we can get the best deal. If people weren't willing to pay MSRP+ then they would stop charging it. With access to the 'net there is no excuse for not shopping around the country. Several people here have told how they bought their 05 Avalon from many hundreds of miles away. I was able to buy from about 30 miles away but I also went several hundred miles by mail for a much better price on the extended warranty.

MikeS.
  • mmg1mmg1 Member Posts: 29
    I live in north Florida and found my great deal in North Carolina. Toyota of Gastonia(near Charlotte). Also ,while visiting friends in Charlotte, my husband checked the lot in Gastonia and found a number of Avalons there. Limiteds also. Just for info.
    mmg1
  • havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    Hi Gladiator99 and fellow Canadian Avaloners,

I stopped at Toyota Service this morning and they had not received any notification from Toyota Canada on the steering column defect, nor could they find any 2005 Avalon recall notices posted on the Toyota website. However, when I asked the service manager to search for TSB # SSC50F, he found it posted. Toyota Canada is indeed planning to give advance notice to dealers that they will issue a recall for 392 vehicles and to expect letters to be sent out. Since Canadian serial numbers seem to be interleaved with U.S. serial numbers, I think my car, built in January, is among those that will be recalled; but the dealer has no clue on what to do about it until they hear from Toyota. The service manager told me that it can take up to a month longer for owners and dealers to find out directly from Toyota, things that we are already finding out from sites such as this one...

In the meantime, I believe that we are expected to use the steering wheel as little as possible and alternatively, try to steer by leaning to either side (this works best when you have a full carload and everbody leans together) ;)

By the way, Gladiator, I appreciate your lead to the Motoring 2005 review on Sunday. Unfortunately I was away and missed it, but I'll keep an eye for possible re-runs.

Enjoy the great post-Victoria weekend weather!

havalongavalon
    Call them again. Coincidence on the birthday, now you won't forget.
    Hi mikes,

Have you ruled out that the soft knocking may be linked to your using 87 octane gas? My car was delivered with a full tank of regular (87 octane) and I heard the engine knocking for the first few minutes on cold mornings, but this didn't happen again after I switched to 91, and most recently 89 octane.

Best wishes,

havalongavalon
    :D The part finally came in today and I get my Avalon Limited out of the shop tonight.....once more I'll be driving in style ;)
  • jordan7jordan7 Member Posts: 77
    Re: Recall for steering column weld. The first 4900 Avalons were affected. If you call the 800-331-4331 Toyota number and press the number for recall information, by giving them your vin #, you will be told whether your car is part of the recall. My Ltd. was manufactured on or about March 10th and was not affected.
    Thanks for the info, Mack. That said, what in your opinion is the reason for Toyota having 5 different colors of silver across their various lines? Do they think some models look better in one shade, and other models better in another shade? I'm sure they get calls from frustrated people who see a color they like on a Camry which is unavailable on the Sequoia they want to buy. Obviously bigger minds than mine were at work here. :)
  • gladiator99gladiator99 Member Posts: 104
    Hello havalong!!!
    Now I am wondering if our avalon is one of the recalled vehicles?? I think I'll try phoning the toll free number and check the vin # to see if that will tell us. I watched the motoring 2005 show on Sunday and they repeated the test drive of the Avalon. They will probably have it in their test drive archives on line some time soon. You might be able to read about it there or catch a repeat show.
    I guess we will have to take some friends in the car to lean either way until we know for sure if the steering is going to disconnect from the wheels.....
    I think I will email my dealer and let them know about this recall because like your dealer they probably haven't heard about it yet.
    Hope you had a nice weekend , and thanks for the info. on this recall.
    Regards
    gladiator99
  • grozagroza Member Posts: 89
    "Enjoy the great post-Victoria weekend weather! "

Havalong, I had forgotten that Victoria Day was this past Monday, right? Oh, jeez. Who won the Victoria Day sled dog race this year? Did the Andretti mushers get their record fourth win, or did the Penske mukluk'ers take it?

Groza
  • impartialimpartial Member Posts: 19
    Zero
    None
    Not even a hint.
    It looks like some of the earliest Avalons might have an issue with the steering column. I just got mine about a week ago, so I doubt it is included in the recall. The only problem I've had is programming my home link garage opener to work, and there is a better than average chance of "operator error" in this case. I am very happy with the vehicle. Impartial :shades:
    Groza,

Thanks for asking! Correct, dog sled racing is huge here, year-round.

With the experience at steer-by-leaning many of us are going to get in the next while, I'm thinking that at next year's races we could enter at least a couple of BC Avalon teams. Great gas mileage, too!

OK Old Groza, keep on surfing (that's what y'all do in FL, right?)

havalong
    Hi impartial,

It's great to hear that you are encountering no problems at all and are very happy! Watch out, pretty soon you may be better known as one more "partial"...

Best wishes,

havalong
    Thanks Jordan. My dealer was aware of the recall and will look at my car before I get the letter, I will drive over there in the next few days. He told me it affected something around the first 6,000 plus vehicles. I did call that number and gave them my vin number and after looking it up they didn't have the information on whether my Avalon is affected or not, but the letter will tell me. Thank you.
  • ski1003ski1003 Member Posts: 41
    My car was one of the first built and I am going in recall work this week. Not exactly sure what they plan on doing but I'm sure going to ask. The dealer said it would take about one hour + to check out steering column. I did not get a letter on the recall but the dealer gave me a call to tell me to bring car in.
  • fivestar1fivestar1 Member Posts: 13
    Mackabee,

Do any of the non-Avalon Toyotas offer the color called Blue Mirage Metallic when applied to an Avalon? I can't conveniently see that color on an Avalon nearby because the Chicago region does not offer that choice.

Thanks
    Fivestar, the Sienna is offered in the Blue Mirage metallic. The color code is 08R5.
    :shades:
    Mackabee
    On my way home I stopped again at my dealer's. No more news, except that the Canadian equivalent of SSC50F is called "Campaign 510". Given what I knew (thanks to this forum) and since an official bulletin hasn't arrived, the service manager will call Toyota to ask what needs to be done.

I'm hoping to have my car looked at this week, before going on a longish trip. I got pretty sore from steering-by-leaning today, and my crack dog team is exhausted :sick: ;)

Regards,

havalongavalon
  • limiteddriverlimiteddriver Member Posts: 234
    Your dealer can check your VIN against the recall VIN's and tell you if your car is effected. Why call Toyota? Mine isn't in the recall.
  • yankeryanker Member Posts: 156
    we had a knock in our 2000 Avalon and traced it back to a low grade economy gasoline. Using regular 87 octane from Mobil or whoever cured it. Going on 70000with no problem
  • rainh2orainh2o Member Posts: 19
    impartial,

'Glad to hear you got a keeper! 'Makes me feel better about risking an '05, instead of waiting for an '06, as mine delivers the first week of June.

-rainh2o
    fivestar1 -- Here are 2 pictures I had posted previously of a newly-arrived Blue Mirage Metallic Avalon XL with some of the shipment plastic sheeting still in place, but you get a good idea of the color. :)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
  • lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    I bought my Avalon Ltd on Mar.2nd. Called my service advisor and he said my vin # was not in the recall. Thank goodness because I'd probably park it until it got fixed.