Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    Please try this link to see pictures of my Avy.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y95/mtpys/

Password, if requested is; Avy05
    "As of today I am no longer affiliated or employed by any Toyota dealer or organization. I'm a free agent so to speak. Good luck with your Avalons. I will be pursuing other opportunities.
    Mackabee"

Mack, I sure hope you stick around! Hate to not see ya on the board anymore.

MikeS.
    I received a call from an area dealer that I had contacted back in February when I was shopping, they are the local Costco dealer. At that time they told me that the 05 wasn't on the Costco program. They called me this morning to let me know that it now is. They have them at $1,500 over invoice. Oh well, I've enjoyed mine for almost 4 months already.

MikeS.
  • kinzuakinzua Member Posts: 44
    I wrote earlier:
    Took delivery on my Limited today. The dealer had gone to Circuit City and they installed an after market XM in the glove compartment with access provided by broadcast to FM channel 1.
    All we (sales rep) and I could figure out is that when you wanted to turn on the XM you opened the glove compartment and used the supplied remote. Then to change channels, use the remote aimed at the open glove compartment. Meet with the Rep tomorrow and we'll go to CC and hopefully get this squared away.
    Anyone else run into this problem?
    P.S. Really liked the location of the antenna. Middle front of the roof.
    P.S.S. The XM unit they installed is the same as the one I installed in my 2000 Avalon XLS but I used the Casette option instead of the FM option.
    Hopefully I'm still happy.

Update:
    I'm still happy. :) Dealer is going out of Southeast area to get a Toyota XM tuner and install it. Should be in within the week.
  • dydiddydydiddy Member Posts: 3
    I purchased my car through the Costco car buying program and paid $1500 over factory invoice. I didn't wait for the Costco dealer to call me. I printed up my Costco confirmation and took it to the dealer with me. We ordered the car on March 9th and I picked up my Blizzard Pearl Limited this afternoon. I was a previous 2000 XLS pleased owner, however, this car surpasses my very high expectations after driving my previous Avalon for 5 years and 75,000 miles. Dealer applied paste wax to the vehicle before delivery and told me that I was good until the start of our next Minnesota winter. The car had 6 miles when I excitedly slid into the drivers seat! The CD-ROM was included with the paperwork.
    I noticed a little hesitation when accelerating, however, I just attribute it to the car and I getting used to each other and my cautious nature to break in the car gently by gradually acceleration from each stop.

:D
  • autoguy1autoguy1 Member Posts: 87
    Unfortunately, we can't see it. You need to make the photo album public and not private.

Or attach the pics using the URL of the pics and the IMG tab at the bottom and putting in the URL into the IMG tab.
  • retired7retired7 Member Posts: 133
    Thanks for the info. FYI; The SSC (Special Service Campaign) 50F procedure, para 6 , Special Tools states "One flexible flashlight has been included in the Service Manager's Package" to inspect steering column assembly. I assume my dealer used this when he checked my steering column yesterday but I'm going to ask the question!

NWBLIZZARD
  • gbinplanogbinplano Member Posts: 65
    OK, we finally have some sun, so this link will take you to pictures of BlueStreak:

BlueStreak inside and out

Hope they help.

Greg
  • barclay3barclay3 Member Posts: 90
    GB in Plano... very nice! The blue makes for a good looking car (1st-red, 2nd-blue, 3rd black). Plano Texas looks like a nice area too.
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    gbinplano: Great Hi res pics. Thanks for the show. Best pics I have seen yet of the Av Limited. That car sure shines nicely. I assume those pinstripes are painted on. What did they charge you for the stripes?
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    It does work; I just looked at Mike's pictures, including some of barbacued chicken! :) You just have to use the provided password (Avy05). You have to use a capital "A" (as he wrote it); must be case-sensitive, as my first attempt with small "a" didn't work. I agree that using the paste-in address options would be better. All you have to do is copy the middle line of the three addresses Photobucket gives, and paste into the posting window. It's not necessary to use the IMG tab Edmund provides.
  • shulersshulers Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the EXACT same issue. The vibration happens around 50 mph most of the time under very mild acceleration or deceleration. It happens very inconsistently so it's been very hard to troubleshoot. It has been back to the dealership once and they've found nothing. I'm also apprehensive since the car is brand new - 3 weeks old & 1,000 miles. Seems like the vibration is now less prevalent than when the mileage was lower.
    Actually, the pinstripes are tape. I had thought of removing them and getting painted stripes, but the deeply grained metallic look may not be easily painted. The stripes were part of the ExtraMile package of odds and ends offered by Gulf States Toyota. I think they are $99 standalone.

Greg
  • swardsward Member Posts: 20
    RE: "I ordered my Avalon without the XM radio but I am considering adding it now. As I understand it I can order the Pioneer XM unit from Toyota and have it installed myself. Does anyone know the part # and cost? How can I get the JBL radio/CD unit out of the dash so I can make the connections or is there access some other way to the DIN connectors?

Hey ron6,

This installation is covered in great detail in an older post in this forum. Use your search function to find it. The post includes the part number and a description of the harness adapter installation. You do not need to remove the head unit--you just reach behind it from below.

sward ;)
  • rlejr66rlejr66 Member Posts: 44
    ron6 . . . . . .Thanks for the reply. I helped my parents purchase this car in Newport News, VA from a dealer in NC, where NC doesn't require the front plate. My fathers first questions when the car was delivered (yes delivered from Toyota of Elizabeth City) yesterday were where are the wheel locks and where is the license plate holder? One down and one to go Pops! Thanks again ron6.
  • just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    "The all-new 2005 Avalon full-size sedan enjoyed sales of 9,165, up 166.8 percent".
    http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050601/law080.html?.v=10

These May sales added to the other figures bring the total to over 32,000, 2005 Avalons, almost all of what they sold last year (35,000 plus). Once again this just includes Feb, Mar, Apr and May. Normally Sales begin end of Sept or Oct, so you can see this will be a great year for the Avalon even without those months.
    Great pictures, and you can really see the shine, I'm convinced, like a mirror. Thanks.
  • deaniedeanie Member Posts: 172
    Hi Havalong:
    My XLS had the same problem. Solution: clean the windshield of the thin film of wiper rubber that has accumulated on each part the windshield at the extreme end ranges of the wiper travel (with windex or whatever and a paper towel - you may have to scratch it off with a fingernail depending upon how much rubber has accumulated). Then get Rain-x from your local auto store and apply as instructed. Reapply every 2-3 months or so. Problem solved.
    Regards,
    Deanie
  • mmg1mmg1 Member Posts: 29
    Thanks for the info . Will go to discussions and get to work on polishing my auto!
    mmg1
  • lakedoglakedog Member Posts: 15
    Beautiful color mikes, that would have been my second choice (got the phantom grey). I'll be interested to see how clean that interior will be a year from now :shades: .
    Your Avy is beautiful ! Your cooker is also blue but not as pretty as your Avy. Your "bird" looks burned! ( I'm sure it tasted good though.)
    mmg1
  • jackstackerjackstacker Member Posts: 11
    How does the smartkey remote work for the LIMITED if u run out of battery ? Do u get stranded and call 911?
    Blue streak looks great! What color is the interior? Looks like light grey with the darker "wood" trim. Thought that was not an option. I had to go graphite leather to get the darker wood.
    mmg1
  • wiktor256wiktor256 Member Posts: 12
    Check out the post 5279 and others. This has been discussed before.
    The antenna is Terk XM(TM) Radio Micro Antenna (XMICRO)
    (at Amazon.com)

You will also need the Terk Dual XMSP Splitter and Adapter
    (at GoodGuys.com)
  • avalonowneravalonowner Member Posts: 8
    I agree the fit-and-finish and assembly quality of the 2005 Avalon is not quite up to the standards you would expect from a Toyota product, let alone a Lexus. I have a 2001 4Runner (built in the Tahara factory in Japan) with 55k miles on it - never a squeak or rattle, everything is perfectly aligned, and only top grade material is used. In comparison, the interior material in my 2005 Avalon Touring is average at best and it already developed the following problems in my first months of ownership:

1) steering problem (pulling to the right) - dealer could not fix after 3 attempts. Will meet with Toyota's regional service director this Friday to determine the course of action.

2) Sunroof stuck open (fixed by dealer)

3) Stereo cover stuck closed (yet to be fixed)

4) Excess interior form trim (fixed by dealer)

5) Loose fitting fog light (yet to be fixed)

6) Driver side seatbelt buckle rattles (yet to be fixed)

7) Poor paint job underneath the trunk (not a big deal because you don't see it unless you open the trunk, but it just doesn't give you a warm and fuzzy feeling about the quality of this vehicle).

Thanks!
  • swardsward Member Posts: 20
    RE: "How does the smartkey remote work for the LIMITED if u run out of battery ? Do u get stranded and call 911?"

Hey jackstacker,

The key contains a small mechanical key that flips out and can be used to open the driver's door. The SmartKey is then held next to the dash, near the start button, and the car will start, even if there is not a battery in the SmartKey device! This happens because the start switch senses a chip in the SmartKey device, and no battery is required for this operation. Toyota has thought of everything here!

sward ;)
    The interior is graphite. It is actually a medium gray.

Greg
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    What is that opening on the lower passenger side front fascia there for? Is that where the laser device for the cruise control is mounted? Is that opening there on all Avalons? I have seen car show pics that don't have that opening. Looks much better without it.
    That is the laser cruise control device. It is only on Avalons with laser.

Greg
  • dmorcosdmorcos Member Posts: 22
    shulers,

I have tried to duplicate what has happened once and can't. Same road same speed, just will not do it again. :)
    Also tried on much steeper hills and I still can't duplicate. Hopefully the transmission has learned my driving style.
  • bhcarbhcar Member Posts: 2
    My lease for my 2002 had 4 months to run and I received an offer from Lexus to exchange for a new Lexus. Instead I called a Toyota Dealer to see if they would accept my Lexus if I leased a new Avalon. After checking they called back and agreed.
    I returned the Lexus a few days ago and have been driving the Avalon.
    Softer Ride. More Room. More features...I even got Nav. and XM radio.
    The online tutorial has helped a lot.
    For years I would only buy an American Car but now it's only Toyota/Lexus (my wife has an RX330, my daughter a new Scion Coupe.)
  • avalonbobavalonbob Member Posts: 35
    There is distortion in areas that when you look at the lines on the road behind it follows an up & down wave pattern.

I have this on my XLS. Seems more prevalent towards the bottom of the window. I mentioned this in an earlier post as did one or two other posters. I only notice it when I move my head up and down and it is pretty minor so I wasn't planning on doing anything about it...at least not yet.

The other is that the glass itself is not clear, it is almost like clear plastic with a slight milky look to it.

I haven't noticed that. What I have noticed, is that sometimes when the rear (or rear side windows) get dirty they get a milky appearance when the sun is at a low angle behind the car. I've noticed this twice...both times the windows looked fine after cleaning.
  • tystys Member Posts: 3
    I have had some minimal concerns regarding my Avalon (purchase early March) and one more bothersome one. One of the minimal concerns was the rattle of the front passenger seat belt. It rattles because it does not go back into position after a passenger removes the seat belt and gets out of the car. You can place it into position after they get out and it won't rattle. A hassle, but easily fixable after each time a passenger gets out. Why won't it go back to the proper position?

One Other minimal concern:
    City gas mileage (not in bumper to bumper traffic is 18 mpg, not 22. Highway is upper 20s. I use premium and am not a lead foot.

One major concern: loud chirping squeak in passenger door when going over bumps. I have driven Toyota's since 1973 and prefer them over any other car. But squeaks are for Fords not $30,000 Toyota flagships.
  • twright2twright2 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2005 Avalon and I have put 380 miles on it in the past 5 days. I am experiencing a strong vibration when I am driving on winding or slightly hilly roads. One of my clients told me, today, that this is a transmission, shifting gears problem. Are you still experiencing problems with your Avalon?
  • lgigantelgigante Member Posts: 34
    I agree with you about classes for the Nav. I find it awkward as hell. The learning curve should be much lower. I have called Toyota twice because they were calling things by the wrong name in the manual or DVD. I do like it though.
    As for the 160 Mph speedo, I read somewhere that it's fixed not to over 130.
    Larry
  • dmorcosdmorcos Member Posts: 22
    read my reply post #6265
  • vinster29vinster29 Member Posts: 23
    Thanks a lot for the pictures gbinplano!! That is exactly the same Avalon that I was looking to purchase. Those are the best Avalon pictures that I have ever seen!!!! Great Job!! What options did you purchase with your Avalon and what was your final purchase price? Thanks for all of your help. :D

Sincerely,

vinster29
    Hi everyone. I brought my car in today and they checked for the welding since my car fell into the first 4,900 cars produced. No problem, the welds are there and nothing further to be done. So, my car is still perfect and I will wax it over the weekend. I have 3,600 plus miles on it now. Rear window is fine, no transmission hesitation problems, no squeaks etc. Also, Ha Ha, so far no chips on my hood or front bumper. I have learned how to stay back on the highway, that's the reason for no chips, and it's safer anyway. Have a great evening gang.
    "It does work; I just looked at Mike's pictures, including some of barbacued chicken! You just have to use the provided password (Avy05). You have to use a capital "A" (as he wrote it); must be case-sensitive, as my first attempt with small "a" didn't work. I agree that using the paste-in address options would be better. All you have to do is copy the middle line of the three addresses Photobucket gives, and paste into the posting window. It's not necessary to use the IMG tab Edmund provides."

Thanks pmcb48, I have used that method several times before and it always worked. That isn't a chicken you see though but a pork shoulder that spent a total of 12 hours @ 225 degrees for a real nice meal of pulled pork BBQ.

I didn't want to post a ton of links to all of those pictures so thats why I gave the albums URL and a password.

MikeS.
    "Beautiful color mikes, that would have been my second choice (got the phantom grey). I'll be interested to see how clean that interior will be a year from now"

Thanks lakedog, the interior will be just as clean a year from now, I promise. I spend part of a day each month cleaning just the interior. I wash it at least weekly and use Maguire's NXT wax once a month. A California duster almost every day. Did you like the cloud reflections off of the hood?

MikeS.
    "Your Avy is beautiful ! Your cooker is also blue but not as pretty as your Avy. Your "bird" looks burned! ( I'm sure it tasted good though.)
    mmg1"

Thanks mmg1, the BBQ needs cleaned and a coat of NXT, then it will look as good as my car :)

The meat is a pork shoulder that spent a total of 12 hours at 225, a bit black on the outside but fork pulling tender and juicy on the inside.

MikeS.
    "How does the smartkey remote work for the LIMITED if u run out of battery ? Do u get stranded and call 911?"

Like Mackabee says; RTOM or Read The Owners Manual. Per it, hold the fob next to the start button and it will work.

MikeS.
  • kinzuakinzua Member Posts: 44
    You wrote;
    From what I have heard about the laser cruise control, I think I may just avoid that option.

In my opinion the laser cruise control is one of the slickest options on the Av. My wife is especially impressed with the way it keeps me from crawling up the backside of a car in front of me while using normal cruise control. Go for it! :)
  • viking644viking644 Member Posts: 23
    Mike, I must say you Avalon is very nice. I apologize if you've already spoken to this, but your headrest displays, who did them? and are they wired to an installed dvd/video system or just for the kids to plug their playstation2 into them? :)
  • ednovakednovak Member Posts: 55
    I opted for the Laser Cruise control on my 2005 Sienna although I thought it was a bit of a gimmick However, after multiple long drives between PA and Long Island, I've come to love it. While it doesn't work well in real bumper to bumper traffic, it works fine in moderate to light traffic and eliminates having to constantly adjust the manual cruise control. Will definitely opt for it on my next car as well.
    vinster29, from my earlier post: ". . .I ordered - NAV, VSC, Laser and the ExtraMile Package, which consists of Toyota's Parking Pilot (a four sensor back-up assistance), remote start, Avalon mats, a silver and platinum pinstripe, various other minor niceties, and 6 year, 100K mile tire replacement. It did not have any of the unordered "options" some have described from other Gulf States Toyota dealers. I negotiated a 7 year 75k miles zero deductible extended warranty to the same price provided by Greenfield Toyota for the Platinum Toyota Warranty."

I ordered in mid-March and paid $1500 list.

Glad I could help.

Greg
  • jackstackerjackstacker Member Posts: 11
    I have 400 miles on my XLS and I've started noticing some VIBRATIONS.

- the passenger seat back/head rest vibrates
    - overall small vibration even on FLAT streets with 25mph+ and hard with 80mph.
    - when the visor mirror is open, it is obviously shaking all the time.

Is it just me or ALL cars do that since streets are imperfect even if they're flat. Another explanation can be in the soft springs since the car bounces on any small crack on the road.

I drove a 2000 BMW 323i before so I hope the car is just normally vibrating all the time since roads are never flat and since it's a Toyota.

ANYONE NOTICE those mini vibrations??????
  • avalonbobavalonbob Member Posts: 35
    If I remember right, I had a small noise from my passenger headrest when my XLS was pretty new (as if it's "old" now) and I moved the headrest up and down and haven't heard it since. As far as overall vibration of the vehicle, I really don't have any at all and I have 3300 miles on the vehicle. As a matter of fact, the ride and and overall quietness of the vehicle seems better to me now than when it was new. It may be that I was "hypersensitive" when it was new or it may be that things have kind of broken in. At 80 MPH the ride is great and the vehicle is extremely quiet and stable.

One thing you may want to check is your tire pressure. There have been a number of posts on this. I noticed that my XLS originally seemed to bounce on rough roads. After reading about the tire pressure on this forum, I checked mine. They were set at 38 PSI from the dealer. I lowered the pressure to 32 PSI and it made a huge difference. Others have reported that their tire pressure was as high as 60 PSI.
  • rwb2rwb2 Member Posts: 85
    Try not looking in the mirror while driving. You won't notice the vibrating and you have the bonus of seeing the road. Kidding. You will feel the road more than you would in an old Caddy but this sounds like a tire problem or alignment problem to me.
  • weavercityweavercity Member Posts: 11
    shulers,

I've had my Avalon for about 3 months and I keep hoping that the transmission will stike up a conversation with the engine. So far they don't seem to wish to speak to one another. I get a lag from the time I depress the gas pedal till the transmission decides to transmit power to the wheels. Also, when I come to a stop sigh/light I ocassionally get a power surge. This reminds me of an untrained puppy. It doesn't go when your want it to, and then is reluctant to stop when you say, who boy. Perhaps this car is still in training. I may try giving it a treat if it learns the procedure.