Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• weavercityweavercity Member Posts: 11
    I know that there are various grades of stainless steel, however, I'm still getting rust (FeO) coming out of my exhaust pipes. How can this be?? The dealer said that the exhaust system is fabricated from stainless steel. What gives??
    Stainless = Rustless ?
  • jackstackerjackstacker Member Posts: 11
    these are similar problems with my BMW, then I switched to TOYOTA and nothing's change.

More problems and headaches.
  • lakedoglakedog Member Posts: 15
    Tys, this is the exact problem(minor) I've had along with the low gas mileage. I don't think anything can be done about the seat belt, but the gas mileage is another matter. I have been using regular grade(87) as the owner's manual says is O.K., however, I've only been getting 17-18 around town and 22 on the highway. My next tank will be the mid-grade(89) and I'll let you know if there is any difference.
  • soulmastersoulmaster Member Posts: 12
    Just wanted to say hello to the Avalon gang and get some feedback on what you think of my 05' black Touring. I have found your information most helpful in making my decision

http//www.msnusers.com/ToyotaAvalon
    Ok, I understand the road crown, but there is no drift in my parents 2004/2005 Camry driving on the same street.

I can eat big macs with 2 hands in their camry's.

However, the Avalon wants to drive itself to the right. I've got it checked out, the dealer said they put it on the rack and nothing was wrong mechanically; but they adjusted the Steering wheel to spec just to keep me happy.

Give me some feedback if you have released the wheel for a few secs.
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    "Mike, I must say you Avalon is very nice. I apologize if you've already spoken to this, but your headrest displays, who did them? and are they wired to an installed dvd/video system or just for the kids to plug their playstation2 into them?"

Thank you for the kind words. The headrests are a product of Vizualogic, they are the model A-1000. The driver side is the DVD player and display while the passenger side is a monitor for the DVD being played or can be used for a playstation type device. It also came with it's own hand controller with over 50 games built in.

Note, about 10 days after installation the latch that kept the driver side closed broke, with extremely little use or force. Vizualogic was contacted by my installer about this problem and they said a "Latch Kit" would be sent out. Three weeks later still no kit. Vizualogic has been contacted again and said kit is supposed to be on its way. Vizualogic, get on the ball!

Otherwise we really like the setup, it can use the cars stereo for sound and it came with 2 IR headphones if we want quiet.

MikeS.
    ANYONE NOTICE those mini vibrations??????

Not at all, sorry.

MikeS.
    "For the 2nd time yesterday my driver's door would not open from the outside. When I hit the alarm/door disengage button I can hear the other 3 doors unlock but the driver's door just sits there. I have to reach in from the front passenger side to manually unlock/open the door.
    Dealer will look at it tomorrow"

My selling dealer, Younger, in Hagerstown, Md. looked at the car today and of course they couldn't duplicate the problem. They did lube the lock mechanism.

MikeS.
    While at the dealer today to get my door lock looked at I was approcahed by a gentelman that was there with his wife for a service issue on a Camry. He asked me several questions about my 05 Avalon and I answered those and volunteered several more opinions. They are looking to get the XLS in white.

As I was waiting to get my car back I talked to another gentleman who is considering an Avalon. So we may have a couple more in my area pretty soon.

MikeS.
  • avalonowneravalonowner Member Posts: 8
    My Avalon Touring will drift to the next lane to the right if I let go the steering wheel for ~5s. Even with my left hand on the steering wheel, I crossed to the right lane a couple of time while adjusting the climate control (not all buttons are replicated on the steering wheel, so I had to take my eyes off the road for a few seconds to change mode, fan speed, etc). So this issue is more than just an annoyance...

My dealer cannot fix this, so I am meeting with Toyota's regional service director tomorrow. Will provide an update later.

Thanks!

>Ok, I understand the road crown, but there is no drift in my parents 2004/2005 >Camry driving on the same street.
    >
    >I can eat big macs with 2 hands in their camry's.
    >
    >However, the Avalon wants to drive itself to the right. I've got it checked out, the >dealer said they put it on the rack and nothing was wrong mechanically; but they >adjusted the Steering wheel to spec just to keep me happy.
    >
    >Give me some feedback if you have released the wheel for a few secs.
  • perico1perico1 Member Posts: 32
    Hi Weavercity,

I posted the same problem a while back ...nobody else seemed to have this rust dripping out. I had the dealership research it and they called Toyota. Toyota told them this was from condensation from short trips and considered normal. I replied that I had never owned a new car that dripped rust on my garage floor. Just a couple of days ago, the dealership backpeddled and said the file is still open on this problem and that they did not consider rust to be normal..Anyway, my Av is going back to them next week for further analysis....I will keep you posted.
  • grozagroza Member Posts: 89
    "Ok, I understand the road crown, but there is no drift in my parents 2004/2005 Camry driving on the same street.

I can eat big macs with 2 hands in their camry's."

Good god, Jack, stop eating and start driving, dude. How old are you, anyway? Can you see above the steering wheel yet?

Groza
  • prakramaprakrama Member Posts: 14
    I do Agree .
    1. The passenger seat vibrates as if it is loosely fixed .
    2. The same Vibration is transmitted to the seat belt and hence we can listen to rattle sounds
    3. When you are taking a right turn at signal ( sharp turn ) in a Yield traffic..I always find the avalon doesnt repond to Gas and there is a pause
    4. Sometimes when you have stopped ...and when you press gas ..it takes of suddenly ( with a growl )
    5.The rear view Mirrors show distortion even when the anti glare is switched off

6. Yesterday I noticed when the Car goes over a rough Patch ...esepecially the right wheel . There seems to be some kind of noise . Sounds like a loosely fit passenger side door in combination with Glass sound . This sounds more like driving a Old vehicle . Doesntsound like Solid , New vehicle .
  • rhackrhack Member Posts: 24
    I am sure exhaust is stainless, all cars built today probably are, but the welds are not, that is where your rust is coming from.
    Initially, everyone spoke of the Avalon's virtues and praised it's design and performance. Now,all I hear are little nit-picky complaints. Really now,a little rust coming from the exhaust tip or a noise when traveling over bumps. Do you guys really want to get caught up in auto-hypochondria or just get behind the wheel of your Avalons and enjoy them for what they are,cars! I currently own two other cars for which I paid nearly four times as much as the Avalon. These cars have problems just like any other car with the exception that the dealer hands you your BLOATED repair bill with a bottle of mineral water and a complimentary shoe shine. C'mon guys and gals just drive your Avalons and enjoy them without discussing these minute problems as though you had just discovered a suspicious mole on your back. Let's kick it up a notch and talk about much needed accessories and tasteful modifications for the 05' Avalon.

Cheers,
    Soulmaster
  • hank3hank3 Member Posts: 26
    Well spoken soulmaster. This is an awesome car and if you look hard enough you will find small things to complain about, but such is the case with ANY new car. Everyone should try to enjoy their car. I will confess after reading this board I even went outside last night and took a drive around the block trying to listen for any creak, noise, or sense any vibration, and I thought to myself - what a waste of time. Your mind will start playing tricks on you after a while and pretty soon anything you hear will cause you to think there is a problem with your car.
  • prakramaprakrama Member Posts: 14
    Thats good for you . not for us. since we dont own a car 4 times of avalon .

Avalon was supposed to be near perfect . I dont see these things in my Camry
    How come I see in Avalon .
    I do enjoy the ride and comfort of Avalon .I also like its roomy features .There are few short comings on Quality that we talk about and get it fixed . Since the car is new ..dealer wouldnt charge anything
  • angeange Member Posts: 158
    Your rust problem seems unique, but there has to be an explaination. The exhaust listed in the Avalon specifications lists the exhaust system as being stainless steel.The cheaper ss used are the 300 series ,302,304,316,318 and so on. Typically there is enough nickle and chromimun in the metal to not rust. The rest of the ss is corrosion inhibitors and mild steel. Sometimes the cheaper ss no. 302 will rust slightly, but not as you find. One way to check if the exhaust is stainless is to use a magnet, stainless will not stick to the magnet. The engine has two exhaust cast iron manfolds bolted to the engine. These would get hot real quick and not allow condensate to form. This seems far out, but if you allow the car to idle for 2-5 minutes there may not be enough heat to dry out the condensate from the header areas and rust might form. I doubl't this happens. I would ask your dealer check to assure the entire system is stainless.Sometimes certain fuels form moisture when combustion is almost perfect. Try another fuel.Within 3-4 monthe all US refineries must have in place facilities to remove more sulfur from gasolines.This should lower the sulfuric acids that eat up exhaust systems. This change just might put a dent in the aftermarket muffler shops. ange1
  • avalonbobavalonbob Member Posts: 35
    I will confess after reading this board I even went outside last night and took a drive around the block trying to listen for any creak, noise, or sense any vibration, and I thought to myself - what a waste of time.

That's pretty funny...I've done the same thing with my Avalon. I've found myself trying to duplicate some of the issues that people have pointed out (shifting issues, noise, vibration). I'll drive with the stereo and AC off for a little while, drive over a bumpy road, etc. and listen for any hint of an issue. Fortunately, I really haven't been able to duplicate these issues other than a few minor things I have mentioned in my earlier posts.
  • bahraini_zuprabahraini_zupra Member Posts: 98
    hi guys i just ordered my 2005 avalon and i test drove one from the dealer and i got qierd qustion !
    when i wanted to see the right left LED signals in the mirrors in the day light i just couldnt !? so i got qusiton does this LEDS works at night only ? i turned my lights all the way on along with xenon light and click the turn signal but i couldnt see the LED lights turn signals ?

i just wanna make sure i got this future or not so i can order it if its not with my limited !

thanks
    ali
  • perico1perico1 Member Posts: 32
    Thank you so much for your intelligent response to a reasonable question IMHO. I would not presume to judge what flaws are important to people when they buy a new car regardless of price. It appears some posters don't want to hear about anybody's personal demons. I guess they went to the school of "just shut up and be happy with what you got"...obviously a carryover from childhood experiences. Unfortunately, I have disregarded small problems in the past with my cars that have come back and bit me big time.

So again, thank you Ange for being a compassionate and empathetic poster. It is so nice to know you care. Perico
    Have u release the wheel go? It's pretty annoying cuz it goes drifts right. Other than that the car does ride/look like a Benz.

Let me know if your car drifts.
    avalonowner,

let me know how it goes with the manager. Sounds like yours is very bad. The drifting is pretty dangerous.

The dealer is getting testy about mines.
  • pricecutterpricecutter Member Posts: 49
    In my many years of experience, I have found that manuals and directions are helpful, but are not the answer to all problems. If they were, there would not be a need for forums such as these or the many supplementary books in numerous other areas. I assume that many of you, like me, have read the directions for the navigation system and are still finding various problems that aren’t addressed in the manual. Let's continue our dialogue so we can get smarter and experience greater driving enjoyment in our new Avalons.
  • johndjrjohndjr Member Posts: 80
    Zupra,
    Mine is a Limited. The mirrow lights are readily visable in the daylight. It came standard on my car.
    I have an '05 Limited. It has what is listed as a 'Park Pilot" on it. Has to do with an alert when backing up. I can find no literature on it. I'm tone deaf to it but my wife says she can hear it when I shift into reverse and the garage door is still down.
    My question, what distance etc does it provide? Also, on the lower left panel, between the steering col. and the trunk opener button, there is a round button labeled Park Pilot. It pushes in and out and rotates, but I can't tell that it does anything. Is the small black button on the right tail light something to do with this P P?
    Anyone know anything about it?
    I've searched the Owners handbook and find nothing there. Also the MyNew Avalon site doesn't show it either.
    1350 miles and happy as a lark in the morning with a new found worm.
    See! No nit picking! :)
  • angeange Member Posts: 158
    The small black button on the right tail light is used to open the trunk. Hold your smart key device near the button and it will open.

I have read the Toyota sale literature and there is no mention of a rear distance alarm.I am pretty sure your Park Pilot is not a Toyota standard option. I would check with the dealer, he must have installed it. Check to get literature on how it works. Ange1
  • spaz1spaz1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi All, Any ideal how to remove/replace the bulb for the center brake light on the back shelf. No reference in Owners manual....dealer is clueless
  • morganffmorganff Member Posts: 6
    If my count is accurate, you are the sixth person in this forum with a 2005 Avalon steering problem. Everyone describes abnormal pulling to the right. You can read descriptions about my steering problem by searching under morganff. I haven't gotten anywhere taking the car in six times to two dealers, so my dispute with Toyota is headed for court. I haven't made any other negative comments about my car. My car steered normally for about the first 200 miles, so I know what nice handling in this new Avalon is supposed to feel like. I'm happy for the owners out there with trouble free Avalons, wish I was among them.
  • gbinplanogbinplano Member Posts: 65
    John D, Jr. I also have Toyota's Parking Pilot. It is part of the ExtraMile package offered by Gulf States Toyota dealers. I believe it is the same as the unit available on the Sienna and Toyota trucks as well as various Lexus products. I received a 5 1/2" x 8 1/4" Form #4916 entitled "Ultrasonic Parking Assist System" with my new vehicle papers from the dealer. It describes the three detection zones and operating characteristics. Essentially, the first beeps in reverse indicate that the unit is active. From five to three feet from an obstacle the alarm emits a slowly beeping sound. The beeping increases in frequency from three to one and a half feet, and becomes a solid tone from one and a half feet to the obstacle. Obstacles that are sloped away from the car or are very thin, like a light pole, may not be detected properly. The document notes that the warning device is not meant to replace driver vigilance. There is no mention of the black button on the dash. I suspect that it is used to silence the alarm under special circumstances, such as when towing something (although that is not recommended on US delivery Avalons).

My Parking Pilot has served me as well as I would have expected it to thus far.

Hope this helps,

Greg Brown
    All my previous cars have had the regular ignition key, but my Limited has the smart-key feature. How can I listen to the radio without starting the car? The owner's manual seems to be lacking in this area.
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    If you press the "Start Engine" button without putting your foot on the brake it will let you use the accssories but not start the engine. You may find all detailed instructions at:

www.MyNewAvalon.com
    sorry guys for sucha language its my bad all of this because of supraforums.com LOL !
    ok i know theres a pot light under the mirrors but i really never be able to see my turn signals indicators in the day light they never appears :( how come i cannot see them >? or does toyota imported for us BAHRAIN some custome made mirrors with pot lights but without LED trun signals ?

please inlight me guys .

ali
    by the way cuz mean because :D
  • dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    This certainly sounds like a dealer installed back-up detector. Assuming this is the case, the dealer should have provided you some user information and also warranty information ( who do you call if it needs servicing ?). I just installed a reverse distance detector by awell.com and, so far, I'm very pleased with it. Especially, because my Limited has some blind spots when I'm backing-up. There were a few other board members who have also installed this system and they seem to be happy with theirs.
    " pricecutter - In my many years of experience, I have found that manuals and directions are helpful, but are not the answer to all problems. If they were, there would not be a need for forums such as these or the many supplementary books in numerous other areas. I assume that many of you, like me, have read the directions for the navigation system and are still finding various problems that aren’t addressed in the manual. Let's continue our dialogue so we can get smarter and experience greater driving enjoyment in our new Avalons."

A great suggestion. You can get a wealth of new information from other members. As an example, just last week I learned from a post that you can control the audio on/off simply by depressing the mode switch. I'd like to see a general post, such as "new features found in the Avalon" or a specific one like " new features found in the navigation system".
    "If you press the "Start Engine" button without putting your foot on the brake it will let you use the accessories but not start the engine. You may find all detailed instructions at: www.MyNewAvalon.com"

You can depress this switch one or two times. Depress switch one time and it allows you to turn on nav and audio. Depress two times and it allows for you to turn on all other accessories, such as windows, fan, etc.
    My good friend:
    You should know by now that nothing in life is perfect including life itself. The point I/we are trying to make is that sometimes we can create our own problems if we allow ourselves to see only the negative. I am a proud owner of an 05' Avalon Touring as well as a Porsche,Benz and Volvo. I am here to tell you that my S55 is certainly not $100,000 better than the Toyota. As a matter of fact,Mercedes' free scheduled maintenance was also retracted for for the '05 model year as well(Thus making ownership a bit more insane with it's $800 glorified oil changes). When I look for imperfections in any of my cars I can certainly find them.The Avalon is a wild bargain for 30K+. MY PRESCRIPTION FOR ALL MY FELLOW AVALON OWNERS IS TO DRIVE THEM AS IF THEY WERE STOLEN!!!!!!!!! ENJOY
    Greg & Dan,
    Thanks for the reply and the info. I'll call the dealer for the Form 4916.
    In the meantime, I WILL NOT back into anything!!! :D
  • just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    Well said. No squeaks, no window distortions, no hesitation, wood dash lines up with door simulated wood, front end doesn't bow when I slam on brakes doing 35 MPH, 31 to 32 highways MPG, everything so far works. I would have to look for things to find, so why bother. Very quiet in the cabin when going slow or fast. My seats are very comfortable, no leather creases bothering my back. The silver little doors work to perfection so far. I had the exhausts lined up, that was the only thing noticed. So for me so far, it's perfect.
  • evancdsevancds Member Posts: 7
    Hi,
    I've read the manual for my limited, but I still can't figure out how to turn of the engine while leaving the accessories on. Can some1 help? thanks.
  • twright2twright2 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my 2005 Avalon XLS (9 miles) on Sunday, May 30, I took it back because of a strong vibration when driving on winding, slightly hilly roads. The steering wheel would actually shake and my clients felt it from their seats. The service dept. now tells me that they cannot help me unless they are able to duplicate the problem.
    I experienced this problem four times in four days, (385 miles). I do not plan to take the vehicle back, unless it is repaired.
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    All you have to do is press the "Engine" button twice: the first press will shut the engine off, the second will get into "accessories" mode.
  • oldjackoldjack Member Posts: 7
    Havalongavalon-

Thanks for your prompt reply to my question concerning the wiring code. I was looking at the wires for the rear turn signals rather than the backup lights,
    Now that I've got that straight, How did you access the backup light wires? I removed the fasteners for the trunk lid liner, but I cant pull it back far enough to reach the backup light fixture. I can see the wires running into the hinge arm, but I can't get to the wires at the light fixture.

oldjack
  • donb1donb1 Member Posts: 49
    I was out driving a Limited today and turned on the Naviagation Screen. It seemed to be fairly easy to read and understand. When I switched the display to Audio I got a message on the screen that said something to the effect that in the interest of safety there would be no message displayed when the car was in motion. Has anyone seen this?? If so can it be changed? I am going to be ordering the Sirius Radio and I like being able to look at the screen and seeing what song is playing on the oldies station.

Thanks
  • spaz1spaz1 Member Posts: 2
    HAS ANYONE HAD THEIR WINDOWS TINTED? IF SO.... IS THE TINT CUT AROUND THE INSIDE 3RD BRAKE LIGHT OR OVER IT. HOW DO YOU REMOVE THE LIGHT?
    "Hi, I've read the manual for my limited, but I still can't figure out how to turn of the engine while leaving the accessories on. Can some1 help? thanks."

Really don't think that you can. You have to kill the engine and then hit the start button with your foot OFF the brake pedal to get the ACC on ON functions to work.

MikeS.
  • swardsward Member Posts: 20
    RE: "All my previous cars have had the regular ignition key, but my Limited has the smart-key feature. How can I listen to the radio without starting the car? The owner's manual seems to be lacking in this area."

Hey lakedog,

Just press the start button once with your foot off the brake, and you will be in the "accessory" mode, and you can listen to the radio. A second press will enter "ignition on" mode, just like the position in a keyed ignition switch before a car starts. If you have your foot on the brake, the car will start on the first press of the button. This is all covered in detain in the manual. It works like a charm!

sward ;)
    bmpy
    Thanks to all of you who provided answers to my question, this forum works great!
    Has anyone added wheels,woodkits or widgets to their 05' Avalons to individualize the look. I have added 19" black wheels with a polished lip as well as tint to my black Touring. If you have made some modifications please post.