Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• rwb2rwb2 Member Posts: 85
    Suggestions-change gas brands; pay close attention to the response of the engine to different driving conditions (do you notice anything unusual?); and finally-drive 100 highway miles at 65 mph immediately after filling up and see how you do. Good luck
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    They look just like the pics on your link.
    :)
    Mackabee
  • wynwyn Member Posts: 32
    I wonder? My Avalon is an XLS---No Smartkey. The Toyota rep did tell me that dealers have the capability and equipment to bypass the instructions and change these settings easily. If he was correct, it might be worth mentioning your frustration to the dealer. I did walk out and go through the process successfully again just now to confirm that it continues to work reliably on this vehicle. Good Luck!
  • albiealbie Member Posts: 2
    Please post if you get any answers. My dealer had it all day, and since they were not able to replicate the problem they basically sent me on my way with no explanation. At least I got a free fill-up out of it. I find the gas cap on this model a little quirkier than my 96 Avalon so I am going to be sure to tighten it completely and be extra neat at the pump.
  • teddylegteddyleg Member Posts: 8
    Well, I guess that's where my real frustration lies. I DID tell the dealer prior to picking up my car and my sales guy said he spent over 2 hours with the service guys trying to get the settings as I had specifically asked. He was so frustrated when I saw him that day, he looked like he had just been dragged through a knothole. He said they all all their special equipment out to override the settings and couldn't at all get what I wanted.

I'm not sure where to go from here? Anyone else out there with a Limited who was able to get the door locks to change to lock at 12 mph?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
  • jickajicka Member Posts: 38
    Read the manual and follow directions exactly. When ever I have a question about a feature of the Avalon - I look at the manual!
  • rodc2rodc2 Member Posts: 26
    Re: Does anyone know where the nine speakers are located.....

Toyotaken has already answered this question for you, but if you would also like to see pictures and more details of the Avalon JBL system go to http//:www.toyotajbl.com/

Rod
  • teddylegteddyleg Member Posts: 8
    I've looked at the manual. Followed the instructions exactly (and I'll note that the manual makes no mention of when to press or depress the brake which apparently has a signficant impact on success of changing this function). And the fact that the dealer spent over 2 hours trying to change this (including using all of the override equipment) should be reason enough alone that we are all doing something wrong (meaning the manual is drop dead wrong).

There REALLY should be an easier way to change this. One that is much less complicated, with less steps, yet that would still be nearly impossible to "accidentally" change.

And as for the owners manual, I can honestly say that of all the cars I have owned (and this includes Nissans and Acuras) this is the worst owners manual (and nav manual for that matter) that I have seen. It looks like it was poorly written in Japanese and then poorly translated to English.
    (and I'll note that the manual makes no mention of when to press or depress the brake which apparently has a signficant impact on success of changing this function). Ok, then try it with and without depressing the brake. I read in the manual somewhere that (with the smartkey in the car) without pressing the brake, the first push on the switch gets you to the "accessory" function. Push the button one more time gets you to the "on" function - you can operate the windows and at least the fan function of the A/C.

I guess that you can get to the internet. Try http://mynewavalon.com/avalon_home.html . If this fails ask your son or your wife to help you out with this.
  • gwsgws Member Posts: 67
    Although some Calgary area Toyota dealers apply the Access pricing, others do not. If a first-time prospective purchaser has obtained a less-than-Access price quote from another dealer, it is likely that an Access dealer will become 'flexible'... Some Access dealers, in any bccasewill provide a discount to repeat buyers and family members. So, don't believe all you are told - check around.
    I'm guessing, but your dealer guy maybe washes cars as his number one job. I've got the smart key system. It did take a couple of tries and about 5 minutes and a large dose of common sense but I did succeed. Don't get frustrated and don't keep trying the same thing over and over if it doesn't work. Write down every combination you try so that you don't duplicate. If all else fails take it to another dealer and stand there while they try it. Or call Ttoyota while trying it in the car. Good luck
  • 54gradsteds54gradsteds Member Posts: 102
    Am I missing something here? Why would folks living in Canada deliberately let themselves be shafted by greedy dealers who only offer grossly under-equipped Avalons at inflated, non-negotiable prices? What is there to prevent anyone in Canada from finding dealers in the States, agreeing on price, and then simply coming here to pick up their cars when they come into the dealership?
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Toyota (any manufacturer) can't offer the same models in Canada as they do in the States. It isn't cost effecient. Toyota may have sold 100 Avalons in Canada last year. Canada's population is approx. 30 million. The numbers just aren't there.

Exporting vehicles from the US may not be a cost saving venture. The current difference in Canadian vs. US dollar is approx. 1.3. It will cost Canadians $130.00 for every $100.00 spent in American funds. On top of that, you have to pay duties and taxes (Provincial and Federal). Although very similar, the vehicle must comply with Canadian standards before it can be exported. Also, the odometer reading is in kilometers in Canada.

I don't think that the Avalons in Canada are under-equipped or inflated in price. In fact the previous model was more expensive and was only offered in 1 package. The current Avalon can be had 4 different ways. Contrary to what some "greedy" dealers are suggesting, price negotiating is possible. "Access Toyota" was challenged in court a few years back by a consumer group. Toyota lost. Dealers can sell for less than the "Access Toyota" pricing if they wish to.

Unfortunately, Toyota is unable to accomodate everyone with this model (and with most vehicles available). In a good month Toyota may sell 16,000 vehicles in Canada. In a good year Toyota may sell 160,000 - 180,000 vehicles. I believe Camry sales alone in the States are approx. 400,000 for the year. That's why it's impossible for Toyota to offer the same number of models in Canada.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    It is similar to the Scion "covenant" that dealers in the states have. Toyota cannot by law "make" dealers sell at MSRP, same as GM for Saturns. What they can do, however is "strongly suggest" the practice as part of their business plan. They can also impose penalties for those who do not follow the business plan appropriately. "Making" a dealer use a set price is price fixing. "Suggesting" a specific business practice is not. Dealers still technically have the option to negotiate, but it isn't good business practice to do so.

BTW, Acess pricing in Canada and the Scion introduction I have heard are the soft roll out of the same idea across the board at all Toyota stores in the US sometime in the next 10-12 years or so. At least from what I've heard, Toyota corporate is tired of Toyota having the most desired vehicles on the road, but in many areas of the country having the worst dealership experience. They figure that the Saturn and Scion direction may be the way to correct that as both of those brands have the highest results in surveys about purchase experience.

No guarantees, but keep an eye out for it.

Ken
    Ken, the thing I forget to mention is that since its inception "Access Toyota", vehicles seem to be sold at more reasonable prices. The idea behind the "Access Toyota" concept was to give the dealer a lower (in some cases) but guaranteed profit. Every buyer would pay the same. No one gets a better deal. It isn't in effect in Ontario (yet). I'm not sure if I would be comfortable with it. There will always be some doubt as to whether or not the best deal was achieved.

According to the court ruling, Toyota is not able to force or punish dealers that sell for less. In short, "Access Toyota" pricing is less than MSRP. It's the price that Toyota negotiated for the buyer (MSRP $20,000 - Access price $19,300). To some people that's pretty scary. What would happen to "you paid too much, I could have done better". I guess you can still play with the trade-in (if you have one).
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    That's all true, but at the same time, there isn't the worry that you paid $1,000's more than the next person. It's no different than Saturn or Scion as I said above, in that the vehicles are priced lower relative to MSRP than comparible models from other manufacturers. If all you have to do is worry about the vehicle itself, rather than the whole sordid process of negotiations, then the purchase process may be more enjoyable. It seems to be working so far with Saturn and Scion, so we'll just have to see if it becomes more mainstream.

Ken
  • abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    I find no amusement in this problem. Mine got busted in a parking lot, when the wind whipped a cart so strongly into the side of the car and then into the mirror as I watched in horror. I bet you the car salesman would not be laughing if it hit a bunch of brand new Toyotas in the new car lot. It is purly a cost cutting measure and nothing more. Hondas and Acuras all have foldable side mirrors as do most European cars. Make sure all Toyota salespeople tell there customers that this is a potential problem instead of selling them the latest GPS system instead of a good compass and a road atlas.

abfisch
    If reports posted here about $300+ replacement costs for non-foldable mirrors are true, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to determine just why Toyota doesn't have foldable mirrors on their vehicles, does it? It's just a guaranteed money-making scheme !
  • stoneb1stoneb1 Member Posts: 6
    Any news that the 2006 or 2007 Avalon will be offered as a hybrid?
  • haggishaggis Member Posts: 10
    54gradsteds wrote:
    "If reports posted here about $300+ replacement costs for non-foldable mirrors are true, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to determine just why Toyota doesn't have foldable mirrors on their vehicles, does it? It's just a guaranteed money-making scheme ! "
    I agree, it's a Toyota conspiracy. I've heard that the execs meet on a grassy knoll to come up with designs to gouge the consumer. ;)
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    You could have bought a Ford Five Hundred or Mercury Montego and gotten foldable mirrors and saved yourself a lot of $ on the purchase price as well.

Toyota could've left off all those dash control covers and spent the money on the foldable mirrors instead.
  • bakeroidbakeroid Member Posts: 39
    While my wife and I are out joyriding in our new Limited, she likes to add new way points to the NAV while we're moving, which of course you can't. Is there any way to over-ride this "safety" feature?

Bakeroid
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    Had you purchased a Ford or Mercury for a lot less, you would've gotten alot less...a Ford or Mercury...possibly with poorer quality & more recalls. While I've had foldable mirrors on past cars, Accords and most recently a Tundra, I've never had the occasion to "pull them in", much less have them fold in due to my careless backing. True, an errant grocery cart can do damage, but so can another errant driver do damage while the car sits empty in the parking lot with foldable mirrors while you're shopping. Anything's possible!
    zekeman1
    Absolutely it's a cost cutting measure! People will buy things that are "cool" these days, ie, GPS. Compasses & road atlas have gone the way of the slide rule - they're not cool. It's all about $$ - throw in things that are cool & cost more and cut the things that maybe cost more and aren't cool. How many pay phones vs cell phones do you see these days?
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    This is not correct.

First, the exchange rate today is 1.22 CDN to every US dollar so that it will cost Canadians $122 for every US$100.

Second, there is NO duty payable on the Avalon as it is made in North America. The PST and GST are payable. You can thank the "conservative" Mulroney for the GST.

Third, there are a significant number of features on the US Limited not available in Canada at any price. The Touring in Canada does not even have a cassette player which is standard on the US Touring although the Canadian version does have heated seats which the US does not.

A Canadian Touring on the Toyota Canada website lists for CDN$49,109.80 (using B.C. as a reference point) including freight and delivery, battery levy, tire levy, federal excise tax on A/C, plus taxes on all of the above and not including the extra paint charge for Blizzard Pearl. A US Touring, similarly equipped, in WA lists for US$30,470 including freight and delivery but not including taxes. If you convert this to CDN dollars at today's exchange rate of 1.22 you get CDN$37,173.40. If you then add the GST and PST for BC to the car price and also add the levies and the taxes on the levies you get CDN$42,514.48. The difference is CDN$6,595.32. NOT an insignificant amount. And this does NOT include any dealer discount for the US Touring which might be anticipated which would also lower the tax payable.

All told, there will therefore be a probable CDN$7,500 - 8,000 savings on the price of basically the same car if it is purchased in the US.

Either the car is underpriced in the US or it is overpriced in Canada.
  • dhathdhath Member Posts: 6
    Hello 3puttmax, my limited will be arriving at the dealer in a couple of weeks. I have already ordered the Terk xmicro2 along with the xmsp. I love where you mounted the antenna but now that you have had it for a while have you had any dropouts or any negatives with it mounted there? Thanks
    Maybe Toyota will be monitoring this forum and take your advice. Perhaps they'll even hire you and you could help remold them to be more like Ford. Good luck.
  • linyguylinyguy Member Posts: 16
    Having the same problem (left rear door) every so often. Will bring it up at first visit when getting service. Hopefully it won't get the standard "they can't replicate the problem" that you typically get for intermittent problems.
  • linyguylinyguy Member Posts: 16
    I have the same concern. Cust Svc says this can be turned off (only by the dealer). The FOB will then not emit any signal. The buttons on the remote will still function. They also said it will not afffect the push button start. I don't understand how the push button start can still work if they discable the RF signal. Maybe someone here knows more about how this feature works. Maybe the signal comes from the car when pushing on the brake?
    I really don't get why people complain about things like mirrors, lack of fold down back seats, doors on radios. These are all things that can be taken into account BEFORE purchasing the vehicle.People are not forced to buy a car that doesn't have the options that they require. If you must have fold up mirrors, etc. don't buy a Avalon. Buy your Ford and be happy.
    rwb2 -
    Well said!
    zekeman1
  • dajabdajab Member Posts: 35
    I understand the concern about RF, but it might help to put the FOB into perspective. Its range is about 1-2 meters. BlueTooth devices have a range of about 10-20 meters, and cell phones are roughly 1-2 km (1000-2000 meters) to the nearest cell tower. Using the inverse-square law, this means that my BlueTooth device emits probably 100 times more powerful RF than my FOB, and my cell emits probably one million times more RF than my FOB (1000 x 1000). The ratio may be even higher, since the cell phones and BT devices need to transmit more data at a higher rate and do it with little loss.

So, I keep my cell phone several meters away from my head, use my BlueTooth earpiece, and don't worry at all about my Avvy's FOB in my pocket. Instead, I delight in my LTD lighting up at night when I approach it. It seems to be saying,"Hello, I know you."
  • gladiator99gladiator99 Member Posts: 104
    Hi Priggly!
    Thanks for the information. I did the comparison on Canadian Vs US pricing earlier and found out the same savings. Although I didn't know if we would be subject to additional duties etc. I know we have to pay the PST and GST when we register the vehicle in Canada. I just liked some of the options on the Limited model that we couldn't get in Canada. I would like to find out how many Avalons have been sold in Canada so far this year. I know that some of the Toyota dealers
    didn't even stock the avalons last year because of declining sales. It was time for a redesign and total update which they did very successfully. I love the new styling and new engine. Our new Blizzard Pearl XLS Avy get lots of good comments and everyone asks what kind of car is that. I do believe that our 1995 Avalon was a better built car in terms of fit and finish but I do like the styling and drivetrain in our new one. I have experienced some minor initial quality problems, but I am willing to overlook these as long as my dealer addresses these to my satisfaction. On the pricing issue, The price I paid was exactly the same as that listed on Toyota Canada's website as MSRP price. I agree with many that at least everyone pays the same price, however when I read in this forum that many US dealers are discounting the prices by close to $4000.00 I wonder if we paid too much here in Canada. I realize that PROFIT is not a dirty word, but GOUGING the customers may be. Toyota dealers remind us of how well the Toyota products hold their value, then comes trade in time and they want to give you $6000. below current market price. Doesn't seem fair to me. Thanks again to all those who have responded to my earlier post and enjoy your new Avalon's.
    gladiator99
  • dmp2dmp2 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2005 Avalon limited, but did not get the Navigation. Is there somewhere on the web to buy an Aftermarket Navigation Unit?

thanks

dmp
  • androgelrxandrogelrx Member Posts: 3
    The parts finally came in. They had to replace the entire door latch unit from the door panel. It took almost 2 hrs for them to do it but it works perfectly now. I guess toyota has enough of complaints that they are making the parts for it now. My advice is to take it back to them and tell them to replace it.
    Don't forget the black helicopters, and blame Hillary for this, too!
    I, too, have a LTD W/O Nav. I did a "google" search to find the Magellan and Garmin websites. Both companies offer a model that seems to function as well or better than the built-in and at less than half the price of the factory unit.
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    Buy your Ford and be happy.

Friends don't let friends drive Fords. :P
  • gladiator99gladiator99 Member Posts: 104
    Hi jicka!
    I was also interested in an aftermarket nav system. There are some good reviews and information on the website "gpsinformation.net". They gave a great review on the Garmin streetpilot 2610, whish sells for $824.95 at GPSCITY.CA Canadian. I imagine there are many retailers in the US. Some of the reviews on this site examined how visible a lot of popular units would be under various lighting situations on the dash of your car. Many units were very difficult to read in bright sunlight or glare. They also discuss performance and ease of use. There are so many automotive gps systems out there that makes it confusing when trying to choosing a system.. You want to do a lot of reasearch and read the reviews .
    I hope to purchase one very soon and am still researching them. I'll post my impressions when I purchase one.
    Take care!
    gladiator99
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Member Posts: 123
    I've been closely following this forum since Feb. because I had to buy a new car this summer. I previously owned a 99 Avalon & was very satisfied with it. (It's still running well at 100,000 miles.) So the 05 model was on my must drive list. I also considered a Lexus 330, Acura TL & Caddy CTS, which I think is a great car for the money with the GM discount.

Last week I took delivery of a Limited with all options except NAV. I have about 600 mis. on it & so far it is running flawlessly. I'm aware of the problems others have reported like hesitation, transmission problems, loose fog lights, stuck doors, uneven exhaust pipes, etc. & I hope all of you who aren't as lucky as I've been get these issues resolved.

The only negatives I can come up with are that I find the front passengers seat uncomfortable. This may be because you can't raise it or adjust the seat cushion angle. (I could do this on the 99 model.) I do wish the rear view mirrors would fold down. The lower half of the dash & door panels are cheap looking, similar to the Ford 500. Fortunately, my eye is drawn to the wood trim on the upper half of the dash & the wood trim steering wheel. (I also like the look of the silver panels that cover the audio system & cassette.) The owner's manual is poorly written. There is distortion in the rear window, but I only notice it when I make an effort to look for it. It doesn't bother me as I only take quick glances out of the rear window when I'm driving.

All else is first rate! Fit & finish, acceleration, comfort, ride, Smart Key, gas mileage (28 in mixed driving with first tankful). I could go on, but I think you get my drift. Even my buying experience was excellent. I put $500 down & had it in 2 weeks. Even got the nice zip document folder & the CD, all for $33,050.00. (Rohrich Toyota, Pittsburgh, PA) I have no regrets about choosing the Avalon over the other fine cars I considered.
    Same situation I'm in...I'm looking at the Clarion N.I.C.E. system - a 7" touch screen nav unit; comes with suction mount for the window and entirely portable. Also has Sirius interface, 20gb storage and other features. Lots of Garmins & Magellans, etc., but they're too small to see, especially when you're driving. The Clarion unit also has suction mount but I spoke with Clarion and told them I don't want a unit hanging from my windshield - looks tacky. They referred me to a company they deal with - Panavise - which makes a mount for installation on the Avalon. I spoke with them and the install would be pretty slick in the 05; the Clarion unit is $1299 and the brackets for mounting would be around $50. I'm still thinking about it. Lowrance navigation has a 5" touchscreen and will be coming out with a 10" (too big!) and I think an 8" screen in the fall. I may wait to see what they look like and cost before deciding. So in answer to your basic question, there are LOTS of aftermarket units with more coming. You can go crazy looking!
    zekeman1
  • library1library1 Member Posts: 54
    I have a Garmin Streetpilot 3 - screen size does not matter- it talks to you- "Turn right in five hundred feet...three hundred feet..." I put it on a mount on my air outlet just past the right hand on wheel. Works great. :)
  • havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    Hi Gladiator99

I concur with your comparative price analysis, but I'm not sure whether buying a U.S. model across the border would be cost-effective. Friends have bought U.S. models (other brands) had to pay over $1,000 to convert the odometer and speedometer to metric to be allowed to register those cars in Canada. Still, this might be a bargain considering the price difference. And you would be able to get a Limited, as well. Any other Canadians who may know more about buying cars in the U.S., please share your experiences!

By the way, Gladiator, some weeks ago when I had the use of a loaned blizzard white XLS and drove it to Salmon Arm, not far from your area, I got several compliments on the car, more than I have been getting on my titanium XLS. It is a very classy looking car, indeed!

Best regards,

havalongavalon
    priggly

First, I said the exchange rate was APPROX. 1.3. That's what I was charched by the bank the day I posted. In case you haven't noticed, it fluctuates by the minute. Incidentally, it wasn't that long ago Americans were coming to Canada to purchase vehicles, because the exchange rate was beneficial to them. The numbers were so great, some manufacturers would not warranty the vehicles that were purchased in Canada for export to the States.

Second, you are right there is no duty (I meant excise taxes) and yes, our taxes are higher in Canada. However, health care costs are high. Although not perfect, I'll take our health care system over the American system. We spoke with a 60 year old lady in Myrtle Beach last year who was working part-time. Health Insurance was costing her $1,000 a month (for her and her husband).

Third, I fully explained why Toyota was unable to offer the same number of models in Canada. Go back and read it. If you are not able to bargain at least $3,500, walk away.

Fourth, if you are really interested in buying one and believe it is a better deal (after paying taxes, including excise taxes), go and buy in States. That's where we do most of our shopping. Just make sure it meets Transport Canada requirements.

Good luck.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    The last time I was on the lot I didn't see any errant grocery carts rolling around banging Avalon mirrors, and cell phones are also a lot easier to carry around than pay phones IMHO.
    :blush:
    Mackabee
  • delandelan Member Posts: 6
    Foldable Mirrors.......did you know....the initial reasoning behind folding mirrors on cars was so more new cars could be squeezed onto a ship. Wasn't really meant for consumer convenience.

Delan
  • dmp2dmp2 Member Posts: 2
    What was your cost? Can you take a digital picture of what it looks like mounted?

thx

dmp
  • fivestar1fivestar1 Member Posts: 13
    Just to clarify, the PST and GST are already in the 49109.80. Is this correct?
  • nemodatnemodat Member Posts: 14
    Last month, I bought an after market Garmin 2620. It comes with a bean bag mount, and a permanent mount. It fits just fine in my 2005 limited right where the built in Nav would be. It costs about twelve hundred less and can be updated from your home computer and of course can be moved easily from car to car. It also comes with an A/C adapter so that you can examin routes, learn how to use the features and test things in the house. Which makes up for some of the inconvienence of not having it built in. It has voice routing and when in map mode simply tells you where you are and what the next street is. The screen is plenty easy to read and my eyes are bad. One problem, like all gps it must be able to see the sky, the satellites don't work through buildings. Because there is no cigarette lighter in my limited the power cord which also contains the speaker barely reaches to the dash where the unit does best seeing the sky with the built in antenna.Therefore it is best to buy the optional antenna. You then can stick the antenna on the windshield or on the outside of the car and place the unit anywhere. Hope this is helpful. Peace.
  • barclay3barclay3 Member Posts: 90
    I just put 1,000 miles on my limited. It took me almost 2 months to do. I'm taking it to the dealer for the 1,000 mile checkup in the next few weeks. The things I would like to have him address are: 1) driver's visor is damaged - a small tear in the fabric 2) poor gas mileage - about 17mpg city 3) misaligned hood. I have no other problems.

To some of the other concerns: my seats are very comfortable, no hesitation, I like the silver covers (hides all the clutter giving it a clean look and they open and close easily)

As for the folding/non-folding mirror debate: The reason for the non-folding mirrors is reduced wind noise. I would much rather have the reduced wind noise on a daily basis than the extremely small probability of the expense of replacing the mirror (which I never had to do in 36 years of driving).

Just last week I got 2 compliments on my car. At the hardware store a man comment on what a good looking car it is. Also, I went to a different office to work (we have multiple offices) and while working in my cubicle I overheard people talking about my car. They were saying what a great looking car it is. Of course I got up, walked over to them and told them it was mine.

Here is my wish list for the 2006 model: tire pressure gauges, backup sensors, all wheel drive, 12 cylinders, wet bar, adjustable shocks, rumble seat, real wood, all without an increase in price (just kidding on some of these!)

For all you nattering nabobs of negativism ;) , this is a very good car, nothing is perfect. There are lemons from all manufactures.

My recommendation to all of you thinking about buying this car is BUY IT!!
    Without any question I would buy this car again.