Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• lgigantelgigante Member Posts: 34
    I discovered the same thing in the same way. Since it is hard to see behind the steering wheel, you can easily hit the trunk button and up it goes. If you were doing 70 on the freeway and had a load of loose papers in the trunk, you could spread them all over the expressway. The guy behind you couls get a surprise. I called Toyota and reported it to them.
  • tony17tony17 Member Posts: 6
    What size are the Turanza LS-V tires on your XLS. They don't have the oem size (215-55-17) . on their web sight. I also dislike the EL 400's. I have emailed Toyota and Tire Rack and neither one will suggest a different size.

Thanks,

Tony
  • gladiator99gladiator99 Member Posts: 104
    Hi havalongavalon!!
    Thanks for your reply to the import question. The prospect of purchasing a new limited in the USA sounds interesting. As both you and I have just purchased our Avalons here in Canada It may be a while before we consider another new car.
    One of the questions I would need to address is whether state taxes would have to be paid in the US if the vehicle was to me imported into Canada. I will check into this sometime. Also here in BC you get a credit for PST and GST when you trade in your vehicle at a dealer. If you sell your car outright I am not sure whether you would receive any credits for the taxes when you register your new car. Something else to look into.
    Tomorrow I take our new Avalon in for it's first oil change. So far the car has performed great. No hesitation problems, no window distortion, no exhaust pipe alignment problems, or any other serious defects. My only minor defect is with the right front pillar cover coming loose, and I hope to have that looked at and repaired. I am still looking into an aftermarket gps system and hope to purchase one soon. There are some great new models on the market now that have better technology than some of the factory installed units.
    Take care!
    gladiator99
  • drb05drb05 Member Posts: 24
    I just bought touring and drove around 75 miles. Blue screen says 21 mpg on highway drive constant speed. Gas was fully topped at dealer when i took the car.

Please let me know if the numbers are messed up or my car is.

Thanks,

drb
  • ronharvronharv Member Posts: 51
    I have an '05 XL with the fabric graphite interior. (And it's quality material.) Unlike the trim on the more expensive Avalons (which I don't like), this silver trim nicely matches the other metallic-appearing surfaces, so the cabin is extremely pleasant to be in. The car is smooth, powerful, quiet, and loaded with features that would have been expensive options only a few years ago. I would definitely by it all over again. And, interestingly, so would my wife, who was pretty iffy about the purchase of this car but now prefers it to our '03 Avalon.
  • havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    hi yurik,

Could you tell us where you heard that the traction and stability controls don't work when transmission is in 'S' mode? I found no indication of this in either the manual or in MyNewAvalon.com.

On the other hand, some incompatibilites in using cruise control and 'S' mode are mentioned there.

Thanks,

havalongavalon
  • havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    Hi gladiator99,

I look forward to your findings on the question of taxes due if you import a car. A long time ago I bought through a US dealer an Italian car that I picked up in Torino tax-free as a tourist, drove it for several weeks and then imported it into the US as a used car, at great tax savings. But somehow I doubt that our friendly local Toyota dealers would assist us in buying a US-built Avalon this way!

I also look forward to your research results on a gps system, I had a first look and clearly there are lots of models to consider. Will you also be checking US prices for best models? There can be large differences there, too (before taxes, that is).

Best regards,

havalongavalon
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    I have an 05 LTD...this past weekend when I started the car on several occasions, the wiper turned on for one swipe then stopped. I thought perhaps there was a bug or something splattered on the portion of the windshield where the sensor sits, but it was clean. Doesn't happen every time I start it, but did so about 4 different times. Anyone have a problem like that (yet)?
    zekeman1
  • fragmirefragmire Member Posts: 97
    The wiper uses infrared to detect moisture. Perhaps there was a very thin layer of moisture on your windshield whenever the wiping occurred?
    Boy, I sure wish it was moisture! The temperature at the time was 102...
  • hank3hank3 Member Posts: 26
    Great question. Count me as another that experienced the same scenario. It has happened to me a few times after I started the car and there wasn't any dew or moisture. It may be just another small glitch in this otherwise awesome car.
  • carzakcarzak Member Posts: 12
    Moe9,
    Thanks for the response. I am planning to replace the rear speakers probably with component speakers which should make a lot of difference.
    Will let you know
  • lgigantelgigante Member Posts: 34
    I, also, have had the wiper make one pass when starting. It has happened maybe 4 or 5 times in the last 3 months. Moisture was not an issue since the car was in the garage. No clue why it does it.
  • rwb2rwb2 Member Posts: 85
    75 miles is not quite a long enough test. I test drove mine further than that before I bought it. Drive the car for a month see. Also, all cars get better mileage after breaking them in. Don't drive yourself nuts every 5 minutes.
  • boltz1boltz1 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know where the GPS antenna is located? It's not to the passenger side of the rear view mirror and I believe the small box on the back of the rear view mirror is for the homelink.
    I asked the dealer/service manager and their guess was the windshield but didn't know for sure!
    I want to know if I'm covering it up by installing window tint.
    I asked the dealer/service manager and their guess was the windshield but didn't know for sure!

Isn't it a sad state of affairs when you ask the dealer/service manager such a simple question and he (or she) can't give you an accurate answer?? Makes you wonder what kind of service is being performed on your new car....!
    zekeman1
  • johndjrjohndjr Member Posts: 80
    drb05'
    Don't let that initail tank fool you. Mine was very low milage on the blue screen as well as when I filled it up for the first time.
    I marked it up to the possibility that the dealer filled it up, but at the first auto shut off of the nozzle he stopped. That is usually about 2 or more gallons from being full.
    But even at that, my mpg have bounced all over the place, as low as 22 and as high as 27.8. Yet almost all of my milage has been the same as always.
    I've never had any readings approaching the highs that some are reporting..
    To date (2300miles) I've gotten 26.7 since it was new.
    Hang in there.
  • lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    My wipers have come on a couple of times - no moisture - one swipe.??
  • alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    Tony17:
    Bridgestone suggested the LS-V in size 225-55-17. There are very few choices in 215's. Most tire manufacturers do not offer this size. Don't know why Toyota spec'd a tire with such limited choices. The LS-V 225's are designed to fit on the existing 7" rim and the overall diameter, section width and revs per mile are very close to the 215-55-17 EL400, but the actual tread width is greater, largely due to the tire design. It is less tapered at the tread therefore more rubber on the road. Download the specification pdf's from Bridgestone's website.
    Car handles much better than with the EL400's with a more "planted" feel, and is very much quieter. The ride is a little hard but my experience with the LS series is that they tend to soften up after a few hundred miles. I have the LS series on my 2002 Avalon, 2002 Sienna and previously a 1997 LS400 and I have always been very pleased with their performance.
  • gschultz3gschultz3 Member Posts: 134
    Good to hear some positive comments! I got my LTD in March and everything was OK then and still is OK. It is a great ride.
  • gschultz3gschultz3 Member Posts: 134
    What's wrong with the Avalon? My Avalon does not have any problems. I had a G35 built in Japan which had problems. This forum is not an accurate measure of the quality of the thousand's of Avalons which have been sold.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    If the rain sensors are IR (infrared) they do not (exactly) find moisture. They find different heat patterns. The different heat patterns can signify excess moisture. So the wipers come on based on a setting for the pattern read.

If the car has been parked with the windows up in the sun, or even with just the windows up, a little moisture will form on the INside of the windshield. You can't see it. But it's there. The IR can "see" it. The wipers come on at the start..but the air circulation immediately removes the moisture. The wipers go off.

Pure theory... ;)
  • hank3hank3 Member Posts: 26
    Sounds logical but you know what happens when wipers hit dry surfaces. It decreases their life and before you know it you need new wipers. Its a small thing but intereresting considering the amount of posts.
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    and also if the wipers turn on and your windows are a bit dirty, you could put fine scratches on your windshield--not a good thing. Is there any way to override that feature.
  • dcboaterdcboater Member Posts: 16
    Greetings, certainly pleased to have found this forum. I have been an Infiniti Q45 owner since 1991 and am happily trading in my 97 Q45 for a 2005 Glacier White Avalon Limited with beige perforated leather, voice navigation, full mats (with trunk mat), wheel locks, and the intelligent cruise control. I feel like I am leaving a great "marque", having been a loyal Infiniti customer for so very long, but I gave several Infiniti dealers many opportunities to put me into a 2005 Q45 Premium to no avail.

After doing much research and in truth, admiring the new lines of the 05 Avalon from afar, I decided to drive one this past Friday in Arlington VA. Well, Koons in Arlington gave me the same trade-in value as I would have received on a $62,300 Q45, plus discounting the Avalon's MSRP by nearly $2,000 --- much better than any Infiniti dealer could do - on a car costing nearly twice as much! I feel that I am getting a wonderful vehicle, with ALL of the options on a Q45 Premium (Intelligent Cruise, Heated/Cooled front seats, reclining rears, rain sensing wipers, and a superb voice activated nav system) for a net gain of over $25,000 in my pocket --- not to mention 2 years, 25,000 free maintenance (an Internet option).

Also, the Avalon's MUCH better gas mileage (I hope), the driver's seat cushion extender (very nice) and a dealer not more than 4 blocks from my house --- I am really thinking it is a good choice.

My question to the forum, has anyone here "gone down" from a rear wheel drive V8 and how do you feel ? Also, since the dealer is swapping a Glacier white/grey interior for my preferred beige leather interior and will have the vehicle for me this weekend, is there ANYTHING that I should look for or "ask for" before taking delivery ? I'm not much into XM radio as I just don't want another monthly subscription fee for ANYTHING, but is there anything else that I should ask for ?

And what does the "bluetooth" technology do for me ?

Sorry to be so lengthy and if I need to RTFF, please let me know ! :)

Thanking you in advance.
  • angeange Member Posts: 158
    Lexus ES-330. My daughter has her second Lexus and now it is a 2006. I thought I woud get a great quality car by getting the Best toyota car, a 2005 Limited, and saving some bucks by not going $4-6000 more for a Lexus. I was sold on the 2005 write ups and the expectation that the Toyota name, alone had quality all over it. The 280 HP also was a great feature.

I parked my Limited next to the Lexus and compared the interior and exterior trim and fit.There certainly is a big difference in quality and alignment control over the seams at all of the doors,navigation door, glove compartment , rear view mirrors,hood, and trunk. My car has 3/4 inch touch up paint at the rear bumper.The Limited emblen is on crocked. Several other items were repaired.Sorry about being so negative,however, I need a h--- alot more positives to change my feeling. Ange1
  • tony17tony17 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the reply. Will check with bridgestone dealer. Don't know why I can't get a straight answer from Toyota or Tire Rack.

Tony
    I have noticed some comments from time to time re the 2005 Avalon air conditioner and gas mileage. The air conditioner compressor runs at the speed the engine runs. You do not use more or less gas if you lower the fan speed, and or it is hot or have high humidity day. The air conditioner is on or off. There is no in between. My wife thinks so on our home air conditioner.

Some of the high end cars may shut down the compressor if the car gets too cold inside and starts back up when it is required to control the preset temperature. You have to be carefull with this control as I tried to control temperature, some time ago, by turning the comprsssor on off while on a Turnpike, and ended up burning up the compressor clutch. There is a small reduction in gas mileage with the air on. I don't know for certain, but I would guess it is somewhere around 1-2 MPG. Ange1
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    I don't think your car comes with bluetooth which allows you to use a bluetooth enabled cellphone and then be able to talk hands free and have the sound come out of the radio speakers. That is one feature I wish they would add.

If you're saving $25k on the car compared to an Infinity, what's another $10 a month for the XM radio. You get cd quality music and a choice of many stations that you can hear across the country.

I would like to get your comparison of the handling of the Av compared to the Q45.

Enjoy your new AV--think you made a wise choice.
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    On a somewhat related note, once the car has started, what happens if the smart key is moved outside of the sensor range? Does the car not require the smart key signal any longer after the engine has started?

The car will contine to run until it is shut off, so yes the smart key is no longer needed.

MikeS
    " just bought avalon touring 05. My baby needs DVD system on it. I would love to invest in a portable DVD player like toshiba or sony, however, how do I put that thing secure behind the seat? Are there any other options? I don't want to install on the roof becaue i am leasing the car and don't want to damage or invest on things that i can't take it with me. "

Please search for my posts on the headrest DVD system I had installed.

MikeS.
    "I've read post here that are both praise worthy and critical of the Avalon. I've got an 06 ordered and was just wondering if you had it to do over, would you still buy the Avalon or spring for something else? If you wouldn't buy the Avalon again, why?? Thanks for your input. "

I've had my LTD for just shy of 6 months now and have just over 9K miles on it.

I'd buy it again in a second!

MikeS.
    I just completed making 3 round trips to Phill, Pa. in a 6 day span. Each trip was 434 miles round trip, 98% interstate and the A/C running full blast. I averaged 29.1 mpg overall using 87 octane.

The car was wonderful, smooth ride, great control and very quiet.

I was sitting next to a Lexus owner at a light and he asked me what I was driving. When I told him what i paid he said he got ripped off!

MikeS.
  • greenbeltgreenbelt Member Posts: 55
    Toyota changes the product mix they build at locations from time to time, so I've always found it to be prudent to rely on their published information regading site vehicles or components.

I try to be current by getting my build location info from the Toyota Manufacturing site. There you can take a look at what they indicate is built where. In the site I investigated, they were specific that Nummi does the Corolla and Vibe. The Matrix is done in Ontario along with the Corolla and the Lexus RX330:

Here ya go: http://www.toyota.com/about/operations/na-affiliates/index.html

I also understand that some Camry's are imported into the U.S. It would be a fine to get one of those.
    This forum isn't a statistically significant sample, just a place where a number of Avalon owners and salespeopel exchange messages of variable veracity. The number of folks here posting about their positive experiences with the new Avalon seems to far exceed the number of posts where people are disappointed.

It's great to hear that there's nothing wrong with your Avalon. There's nothing 'wrong' with the Avalon in general, but there are problems with some Avalons in particular.

My comments had to do with the relative change in the problem frequency for Avalons (and all Georgetown, KY built Toyotas) with respect to the past and with current competiitors.

In this year's current JDPower Initial Quality Study, neither the Avalon or Camry finished in the top three of their class, a position that they dominated in the late 1990's. The mid-sized GM cars in this segment do better and have done better that the Avalon / Camry for the last several years than earlier

The 2002 Avalon came in 3rd in the JDPower Dependability Study, which looks at total problems over 3 years. 1st and 2nd were two Buicks. GM is trying hard and doing better than Toyota in this segment despite all of the negative press they earned in prior years.

I still believe that Toyota let the quality slide at Georgetown in exchange for lower costs and higher profits through more domestic sourcing.
    Greenbelt, thanks for for data you listed. I am in total agreement. I am a P.E. in Corrosion Engineering and have been doing high PSIG equipment inspections since 1957 and still do consulting work. I believe I have the background to evaluate quality work. The old saying, " if you can't say anything nice about someone or something don't say it", but when you do a lot of background searching and spend mid $30,000 for an automobile and find the the things that set a car apart from another, not there, you don't feel great about it. Thanks for the data again as I was beginning to feel I was all alone listing negative comments. Enough said. Ange1
  • blaquebyrdblaquebyrd Member Posts: 11
    I'm the proud owner a blizzard pearl 2005 XLS and I'd like to upgrade the steering wheel and shifter to the wood grain leather wrap that comes standard in the limited. I should have ordered the upgrades when I bought the car but I didn't and my local dealer says neither are available for sale as after-market upgrades yet. Does anyone here have a source or dealer that's providing the upgrades yet? There's not too many accessories available for '05 Avy. However, Toyota does offer a OEM wood grain dash kit for the center console that includes covers for the stereo compartment and the DVD navigation console pull out.
  • teereevesteereeves Member Posts: 69
    dcboater, did you order a 2005 or 2006? 2005 Avalon has no such color of Glacier White, its white color is Blizzard Pearl. Why you ask the question, "what does the bluetooth technology do for me?", the 2005 Avalon does not come with Bluetooth technology. Again, are you talking about a 2006 Avalon?

Let me know, Thanks.

Tee
    Sorry, I meant Blizzard Pearl and it is a 2005 dealer swap. Bluetooth Technology must have been my confusion with the Infiniti. Once again, my apologies.

Thanks Tee
  • tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    The information you provided does not tell us where most product originates. Its a North American site. As an example, we know that manufacturing is done in Canada on the RX 330. However, most of this product originates from Japan. In addition, although most Camrys are built in Kentucky; some (a very tiny portion) come from Japan. This site just tells us about manufacturing capabilities, but it does not tell us anything about where most of the product is built. Most Corollas originate from Fremont, the Nummi Plant, and not from Canada.

In any event, as you correctly indicated, Toyota changes its mix. My only point was citing some of the best plants Toyota had and comparing it to the Georgetown. I will like to know how this plant measures up to the other plants in North America and Japan.
  • tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    Another interesting tidbit is the JD Power problems per vehicles. Toyota's have increased year over year in this area, which is disappointing. As I mentioned previously, if there any problems with the Avalon, it could be just due to the fact that the vehicle is new as CR indicated in April. A bigger problem, I think, is due to the fact that the manufacturers need to cut cost in order to hold the line on pricing. Right now, the industry is too competitive and pricing is definetly heading down. In order to be competitive, the manufacturer must cut costs and restoring to questionable suppliers.
  • limiteddriverlimiteddriver Member Posts: 234
    My Buick and BMW auto wipers sent a "signal", the nature of which I've forgotten, but if any of the signal were reflected back to the sender by rain drops the wipers activated. The more reflection the faster the operation. To keep the wipers from running when you start the car keep the wiper switch in the OFF posution.
  • alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    Tony, let me know what they say.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    I believe the part of the infrared beam is reflected from the glass due to the difference in glass and air when it reaches the outer surface of the windshield. When there is water on the outside the glass, the infrared continues on and less is reflected. This lower reflection of the infrared beam turns on the wiper.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• 5539655396 Member Posts: 529
    How much is the Toyota OEM wood grain dash kit? I bought a 21 pc kit on ebay for my 03 for under 100 bucks, a color matched spoiler for $135, and a gold package for $115. MUCH less than the Toyota parts.
  • gwsgws Member Posts: 67
    My 2005 Avalon XLS replaces a 1998 Lexus GS400, and I feel fine. Horsepower is down by less than seven percent, and fuel consumption has improved by about 20 percent. With the exception of a slight decrease in trunk space, there's more room elsewhere - especially in the rear seat area.
    I am unconcerned about any perceived loss of status. I had considered 'moving up' to a Lexus LS430, but really don't like the appearance of the current model (reminds me of a 90s Mercedes) and do wonder if I want to spend over $100M Canadian on a car. Maybe the next model of LS will convince me.
    I drove Cressidas from 1981 to 1993, and moved with some reluctance to a 1993 Camry Sport (now badged as XLE). I wasn't sure I'd like a front-drive vehicle, but lived happily with it before getting the 1998 GS.
    I now spend winters in Arizona, so the better traction of front drive is no longer an attractive benefit, but could be for others. I drove the Camry in winter snow for several years without needing snow tires. But, then, I managed to do without those on the Cressidas, too...
    However, it seems that many later rear drives are much more powerful, and have high-speed tires with reduced tread depth. Snow tires may be necessary in many northern areas.
    The once-dreaded torque-steer characteristics of front drive are no longer the deterrent they used to be, in my experience.
    And like I said, when I drove the test Limited (not mine to be delivered this weekend), I "put it through the paces" and was very happily surprised about the handling characteristics. Thought the AV limited is not meant to be a Porsche 911 by any means, she does not have any handling demons. I was quite surprised, especially with the 280 hp numbers. My Q45, even with lifetime dealer maintenance, was getting "long in the tooth" when it came to high-speed cornering and handling bumps eloquently.

As far as the "perceived loss of status" - I really didn't mean it that way... I just shocked a number of people when I came into my NYC office this Monday and the word got out that I bought a Toyota after being such a loyal, die-hard Infiniti owner.

Once discussion delved into the equipment and then comparison of "net price" --- no worries !

Thanks again - great board !
    dcboater :shades:
  • maryjmaryj Member Posts: 53
    Have 2005 Avalon. Can anyone tell me how I can keep a running average of fuel mileage. I'd like to know what my mileage would be on a long trip or, for that matter, several months. Right now, whenever I fill the tank, the average goes back to zero. Also, how can the Trip Timer keep a record of time for longer than one trip, however short it might be. I would like to know what my driving time would be for a long trip. Each time the ignition is turned off, the timer zeroes.
    Thanks.
    Here's some data from Toyota re productioin. All available at:

http://www.toyota.com/about/operations/manufacturing/index.html

Note that the Lexus RX330 engine and transmission are both made at the Toyota plant in West Virginia. Not everyone is aware of the big role the WVA plant plays for Toyota. See below. I didn't list the Toyota Bodine facilities in St. Louis, but that's where the engine blocks and cylinder heads are made.

Also note that in 2004 54% of Corollas were made at Nummi, 46% in Canada.

Siennas, Sequoias and Tundras are made in Indiana. Tundra moves to San Antonio in 2006.
    ===================================
    Toyota, NUMMI

Production: 2003 2004
    Corolla 157,561 167,970
    Tacoma 161,566 143,281
    Voltz (for export to Japan) 1,733 201
    Pontiac Vibe 74,223 69,226
    Total Toyota Vehicles 320,860 311,452
    ==============================
    Toyota Ontario, Canada
    Production Volume: 2003 2004
    Corolla 135,428 141,445
    Matrix 78,781 81,064
    RX330 13,334 65,350
    Total Vehicles 227,543 287,859
    4 Cyl. Engines 200,317 204,655
    462,229 505,520
    ================================================
    Toyota Georgetown, KY
    Production: 2003 2004
    Camry 359,084 388,107
    Avalon 49,610 33,011
    Solara 29,732 49,174
    Total Vehicles 439,549 470,292
    4 Cyl. Engines 322,709 340,753
    V6 Engines 139,520 164,767
    Total Engines 462,229 505,520
    ================================================
    Toyota Motor Manufacturing, West Virginia, Inc. (TMMWV)
    Plant Site: 230 acres; Facility 1.2 million sq. ft.
    Current Investment*: $759.9 million ($800+ million by 2006)
    Employment*: 929
    Annual Payroll*: $63.3 million
    Products: Four-cylinder engines for Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe; V6 engines for the Sienna and Lexus RX 330; and automatic transmissions for North American-built Camry, Solara, Lexus RX 330 and Sienna. Automatic transmission gears (beginning 2006).
    Operations: Machining and assembly
    Annual Production Capacity: 340,000 four-cylinder engines
    200,000 V6 engines
    360,000 automatic transmissions
    * As of December 2004

Production 2003 2004

4cyl 225,402 229,885

V6 171,808 226,346

Total Engines

397,210 456,231

Automatic Transmission

382,510 389,859
  • roberturobertu Member Posts: 15
    "I'd like to know what my mileage would be on a long trip or, for that matter, several months."

Maryj, I complained about this, too, until it hit me: Do it the old-fashioned way - like when there were no trip computers, no digital readouts, no ding-ding-ding's. Of course, we had time to record gas and mileage because the kid outside was pumping gas for us!

:) ROBERTU