Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• 54gradsteds54gradsteds Member Posts: 102
    Touche', Zekeman1 ! You have a point, but wouldn't you think that Toyota would pay more attention to THIS forum, (that is, if they're on the ball), than probably ignoring one or two complaints which they would more often than not pass off as coming from a few cranks?
    No, I do NOT own a new Avalon. I have, however, owned a new '85 Cressida, and a new '95 Avalon, the latter of which I still have, with its 162,000 still-purring miles on the clock.
    I had every attention of purchasing its 2005 replacement Avalon, but now, after having monitored this forum for months, I have a wait-and-see attitude.
    I'm not prepared, considering the kind of dough required for purchasing a new one, to meekly say to myself, ..."after all, it's just a car..."
    I expect BETTER THAN THIS FROM TOYOTA, and, I submit, so should you. Otherwise, they'll be slipping down that slope and will be passing off trash like GM, Chrysler, et-all have done to us for a LONG time.
    I've been around the block a few times, and am not foolish enough to buy a car that we all know can and should be more defect-free than we've been reading about.
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    Toyota probably knows about this forum and someone reads it, but if you really think they're going to act on various (and sometimes, repeated) complaints, they must have more time on their hands than you think. My experience is that the individual who takes the time to sit down to compose a literate letter to the powers to be, will get a response. It may not be the response they want to hear because of their specific problem, but if enough people take the time and effort to write something legible (and not vent like a broken firehouse and make a fool of themselves), the suits will listen.
    I started out in 1978 with my first Honda and in the 80's bought my first Toyota - an 85 Camry...since then it's been another Camry, an Avalon in 98, a Lexus, a 4Runner, a Tundra and now another Avalon (05). I also expect alot from Toyota and I feel fortunate that my LTD has been trouble free. My wife just bought a new Highlander. Based on my past experience with Toyota, I didn't hesitate to purchase the Avalon.
    Sure, I have the infamous "distorted rear windshield", but I find myself looking out the front most of the time and not through the rear window. And with the sunscreen up, it's not noticeable. Gas mileage is very good but I don't put each tank under the microscope to make sure it's better than the last. My windshield is pretty clear when I wash it - I haven't seen microscopic scratches when the light hits it just right. Fit & finish inside is very good - seams along the dash don't appear to vary beyond 1/32 of an inch overall; the sound system is pretty good and I'm not bothered by the fact that my XM radio doesn't scroll along to give the producers of each song, not to mention the singer's name.
    This is a really terrific board, but personally I think people have way too much time on their hands based on some of the complaints that I've read. But each person's complaint is important to that person and they have a right to post it -- the good part is that perhaps someone out here has a solution to the problem!
    Hopefully Toyota will correct some of the issues people have brought up otherwise the consumer will be focusing on a Japanese model built entirely in Japan.
    zekeman1
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    perhaps the new materials are "gassing" and causing the problem but seeing that cars are well ventilated the problem will probably dissipate within a few months of ownership. Clean the glass thoroughly using my recommendation of Stoner's glass cleaner. Repeat as needed. My bet is within a short time the hazing will cease if it is caused by "gassing."

I am also one of those in the "holding off to buy" camp as my 300M with almost 90k on it still runs and looks almost like new. A couple of things I hope they improve on the Avalon is the "steering feel" and also hope they beef up the cornering stance and handling on the limited model.That's one thing I love about the 300M--it handles like a dream. And it has the most comfortable seats in the business. And it's been one of the most dependable car I have ever owned. If I do buy an Avalon, I can see switching out the struts for a slightly firmer ride. Perhaps I would settle for the struts from the touring model.

I do love the Av for the dash layout including the location of the nav unit, the high powered engine with decent gas mileage, the whizz-bang features, and the roominess and quietness of the cabin. And for the price I feel it's a good bang for the buck.
  • jim250jim250 Member Posts: 23
    Bought an '05 Avalon Limited in the Desert Sand Mica color six days ago. Options are laser cruise control, NAV, VSC, and floor mats. There were about 52 miles on the odometer, and the car had arrived at the Madison, WI. dealership only a few days previously, having been built in 7/05. I have put on about 450 miles so far and love the car. Have not noticed any window distortion as others have mentioned. My other cars have always had that film on the windows after being parked in hot, sunny weather with windows closed. No big deal. Yes, steering feels light but not objectionable. I note that the closeable controls for Nav, etc seem to stick when I open that panel. That is, it opens about 1", then I have to nudge it to fully open it. Does anyone else find that too? Also, on every Toyota I have ever had, the windshield washer fluid reservoir's filler tube has a removeable plastic mesh screen which filters out particles so they don't enter the system and subsequently clog the spray nozzles. My new car doesn't have any such screen in the filler neck, but it looks like there is a small ridge in the filler neck which could support such a screen. Does anyone with an '05 Avalon have that filter screen in place?

Jim
  • rwb2rwb2 Member Posts: 85
    zekeman, as always you've given another insightful post. You are absolutely right about written complaints. Keep them short, sweet, and to the point. Take the emotion out, and get directly to the point. Don't go down the road of pointing out the time the service dept. was rude or the fact that you don'd like the color of the trim, etc. Try to never go more than a page (this is key). Try to send it to an individual as far up the food chain as possible. Keep copies as evidence and its not a bad idea to copy your dealer.
  • angeange Member Posts: 158
    Maybe the Goverment should test the air in the cars to see how much solvents from the interior materials the car is made of that condition with time. The air handling system parts are mostly plastic. Another question, "where does the black go from highways made of tar and stones."

Your glasses get fogged when getting out of a cool car is due to condensation. I think highschool chemistry tells us hot air holds more moisture than cold air. Turn you air louvers away from you. ange1
    Good comments.I agree with you re Toyota and it's small items of concern to some of us.

I bought a 2003 Chevy S-10 for 14,500, new, and never took it back to the dealer. But I didn't pay much, didn't expect much so I did not give it the real hard look. However, it is put together pretty well.

Re Toyota doing something about the Forum comments. I am not sure they wiil do anything very quick. The issue with Lexus hesitation, it has been there for two years that I am aware of.

Some years ago we had problems with Hond Goldwing motorcycles alternators burning up around at about 25,000 miles. Everyone knew about it, articles everywhere, and still all that they did for a couple of years was to guarantee the alternator for 50,000 miles. The GWRRA learned that Honda had had a hugh supply on hand and they were willing to take their chances. They lucked out as the problem was that the alternator produced electricity at 100% output all of the time and it only happened to riders who rode 60-80 mph for 2-4 days, taking long trips. The wires actually burned off the alternator outlet.

All of the auto manufacturers take certain risks regarding auto issues. They do surveys and because they are money driven they go where the bottom line has a bigger plus. ange1
  • garychgogarychgo Member Posts: 7
    Hi Jim:

I have the exact same problem with the access door. It seems that there is a misalignment. The dealer is aware but I didnt want to tie the car up at this point for a couple of days. I suspect that they dont have a factory fix yet.

Gary
  • dajabdajab Member Posts: 35
    Sorry, ange1, but they're not talking about simple condensation of water vapor on cool surfaces. These vapors are various types of volatiles that are used in the manufacturing of plastics and vinyls that make up an automobile interior; they contribute to the "new car smell". (It's more like advanced college or professional chemistry: outgassing is a big problem, for example, on spacecraft structures made of light synthetic materials, which can shrink a significant fraction of an inch in size when you don't want them to, simply because of the gasses that escape from the materials into space.) Outgassing is a potential enviromental concern in a new automobile interior, but hardly unique to the 2005+ avalon. Perhaps there is an Edmunds forum for automobile environmental issues where this has been, or could be, discussed in detail.

Is there, Pat?
  • haggishaggis Member Posts: 10
    54gradsteds, for someone who has posted an awful lot of complaints about the new Avalon and Toyota in this forum, I assumed you owned an 05 Avalon. Since you don't, could you be one of those "cranks" you mentioned in your post? ;)
  • perico1perico1 Member Posts: 32
    Hi...my doors started sticking about a month ago and finally the dealer replaced both doors because the door to the sound system jammed shut and could not be opened. So far, that fixed the problem but I predict a lot of 2005 Avalon owners are going to have the same problem down the road because it is definitely one of those little defects that pop up in new models.

I still love the car, it is the best I have ever owned.
  • 3puttmax3puttmax Member Posts: 119
    Also, on every Toyota I have ever had, the windshield washer fluid reservoir's filler tube has a removeable plastic mesh screen which filters out particles so they don't enter the system and subsequently clog the spray nozzles. My new car doesn't have any such screen in the filler neck, but it looks like there is a small ridge in the filler neck which could support such a screen. Does anyone with an '05 Avalon have that filter screen in place?

Jim -

My 2005 LTD does not have a screen either. My 2000 Avalon XLS does. Yes, it does look like there are ridges to hold one. Anyone else?

Who says we are nitpickers with too much time on our hands? Do you really expect me to live without a windshield washer screen?!

Max
  • suedunhamsuedunham Member Posts: 3
    Would anyone who has seen Silver Pine in person please comment? The photos and swatches I've seen vary quite a bit. It appears that this is a relatively light silver color with a lime green tint?

Is "Mica" a flat texture or is it basically metallic in appearance?

Any input on the color and texture would be greatly appreciated!
    My navigation access door was aligned perfectly and operated with a slight touch without no scraping before I asked to have a 1/4 inch gap in the molding to be fixed. The dealer ordered a new door and stated he installed it. The new door is the same. I am told the door is a floating door and it is hard to get it right. Each time they work on the door they have to remove the consol and the gear shift knob, and work around some othe areas.

The new door scraps and partically stops, and doesn't fit evenly,and has a big gap at the top. It scraps on the bottom. I think the mechanics tried to bend or force a fix.

I guess I have three choices; accept it as is, or;be a pain you know where and have fixed the third time, or;take it to another dealer. ange1
  • mstemmstem Member Posts: 113
    Suedunham, I have an '06 Silver Pine Mica Limited on order and it is due to be built on August 22nd. Was just advised of the VIN number and build updates late yesterday. To directly answer your question: I have never seen one in person! I am ordering it on faith. :>) Several posters on this list have validated my color choice, and I will include some links below. You can also search the this forum on "Silver Pine" and get some good hits. I didn't want a white or black or silver or gray, think I am going to be happy with light green.

First, for a good color photo, go to post #6826 on this Forum and click on the link included for the photo.

Then, also on this forum, check out posts #7690, 7693 and 7698.

THEN, go to the "Avalon: Prices Paid and Buying Experience" Forum and go to post #498. That one also made me feel good about my color choice as well as the above.

Botom line: I thought light green or light blue would be a good alternative to the colors mentioned above. No offense to the other colors or folks' choices, for example, our other vehicle is a Toyota 4-Runner Limited in Shadow Gray, and it looks great. Just wanted something a little different. I think I am going to like the Silver Pine Mica just fine! I will be sure to let you all know. :)

Mike
  • suedunhamsuedunham Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the comments- please post when your Avalon arrives. I've seen many of those posts and photos, so I'm also looking for anyone with additional comments. I'm also interested to know if the paint is flat or metallic, which I hadn't seen addressed in the other posts.
    I've seen the color - the paint is metallic.
    zekeman1
  • islandavyislandavy Member Posts: 21
    My SPM looks like a very light green metallic mostly in bright sunlight. Under a shady cover, it appears silver with a touch of green. At dusk, it looks almost a light silver. This is my first green car, last Avalon was Desert Sand Mica and Camry before was DSM. If you are looking for a change, try this color, it's something new on the road. The Chrysler 300M has a similar color, but darker and I also saw a Jag with a similar color. All look sharp with the silver exterior trim. Another plus is that mine came with green tint in the windows. :shades:
    Island Avy
  • buck11buck11 Member Posts: 30
    Just picked my 2006 Silver Pine Limited up about two hours ago. Here's some pictures for you.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d632b3127cce9331d8ac603800000016108Qbs2zZq2be
    http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d632b3127cce9331d89de13900000016108Qbs2zZq2be
    http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d632b3127cce9331d89a600e00000026108Qbs2zZq2be
    http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d632b3127cce9331d887e12300000016108Qbs2zZq2be
    http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d632b3127cce9331d898600c00000016108Qbs2zZq2be

Transmission is different from my Honda for sure. Will take a little getting used to but I'm sure I will. Because of the untold number of positions you can put these seats in, it took me about an hour of driving to finally find the right position by just continuously playing around will it. 70 miles from the dealership home. Averaged 27.8 with mixed driving. Everything from full out acceleration to cruise control at 70. The only real negative I've found so far is the passenger seat rattles every once in awhile when I hit a bump. Haven't looked at it yet for possible reason. Minor detail. I'm glad the uncomfortable seat that has been posted on this board is just what I thought it would be, personal preference. If the seat was inherently bad I'm sure some reviewer would have noticed it by now. My seat is perfect now that I've finally played with it and got it just right. No loose fog lights, no uneven tail pipes, no radio cover out of alignment. I'm a happy camper.
  • jim250jim250 Member Posts: 23
    Took new Avalon back to dealership today. Checked for presence of a windshield washer fluid reservoir's filter screen in two 2006 XLS Avalons which had just come in. No screen was found in either of those. Also checked in several Camry's and other new Toyota models, and none of those had such a screen either. Parts department man couldn't find any such filter screen listed in his parts computer system. So, apparently Toyota has deleted that item.

Service department person agreed that Nav control access door is sticking. He is ordering a new one and will call when it arrives.

It was interesting that last Saturday when I bought my car, that dealer had only that one Limited unit plus two Touring ones, and all were 2005's. He told me today that the other two were both sold on this past Monday morning. Today there were two XLS units plus one silver Limited (equipped exactly like mine but with remote starter in addition for an extra $499). These three which had come in during the week had been built in 8/05 and were labeled as 2006 models. I could find no differences at all between my 7/05 build 2005 and that 8/05 build 2006 Limited unit. The salesman said I wouldn't have gotten the ~$3200 off sticker price on the 2006 that I did on the 2005. I'm glad I got there last week to buy their last remaining 2005 Limited at that reduced price. This week there were only those three 2006 Avalons at that dealership.

Those three 8/05 build cars certainly got to Madison, WI quickly after they were built. The salesman said it typically takes a total of only a few days from its date of manufacture for a car to ride a train from the plant in Georgetown, KY to Toyota's Chicago area distribution point and then be loaded onto a truck for the final leg of delivery to local dealerships in the WI area. In contrast and as one might expect, Toyotas from Japan typically arrive in the second month after their manufacture.

Jim
  • limiteddriverlimiteddriver Member Posts: 234
    Check, it might be your passenger seat belt rattling if the seat were empty. IMHO you have just bought a fine automobile.
  • maryjmaryj Member Posts: 53
    Just drove in from an 800 mile trip in southern Missouri. Interstate mileage for the trip, not exceeding the speed limit, was 29.8 for the first tank, 31.4 second, 30.14 third. I did find out that my mileage will increase as long as I don't exceed 2000 RPM, about 66 MPH. If I increase speed to approx 68 MPH, MPG remains steady, and when I drove above 68, the MPG would decrease. I tested this throughout the trip. BTW, it's a 2005 Avalon XLS.
    The transmission drove me nuts. If I was crusing on a level stretch and went up a hill, the transmission did not downshift. If I was going down a hill, it felt like the transmission would just disconnect and remain that way until the car started up another hill. Then, when it needed power, the transmission would downshift even into 3rd, then jump into 4th and finally into 5th. And it would downshift on the smallest of hills. Really puzzling. This went on all day. I was going ballistic. My wife(Maryj) finally said "get over it." This may be the way it is supposed to be, but I've never had a car that continually lurched going up hill.
    As for the seats, they are very comfortable and I experienced no back pain at any time.
    The engine is a winner.
  • tkaztkaz Member Posts: 69
    Just ordered a 2006 Limited Blizzard Pearl with Ivory Leather. I am wondering how tough it is to keep the interior clean since it is so light? Anyone having problems keeping it clean or am I concerned about nothing? Looked at the Light Gray leather but the ivory leather sure looks good with the Blizzard Pearl.

As soon as I get the car I will do the same thing I did with my wife's new Sienna - put a palstic cover over the laser cruise control. Plus I have my list made from this forum on what to check for problems when I pick up the car. Great input from the forum on what to check.
  • lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    I would like to know if they have fixed the distorted view out of the rear windshield for 06. I can't decide whether I want to have mine replaced or not. I don't trust windshield replacements -afraid of leaks, etc.
  • gjarvisgjarvis Member Posts: 1
    That is a beautiful car.....the wheels really set it off! Are these wheels specific to the Limited model? I'm in Canada and I have not seen those wheels on any Avalon sold here.
  • hikerdoghikerdog Member Posts: 2
    Int, I'm waiting for my new 06 Avalon (SPM, XLS) to arrive, so no experience with the alarm.

I do have a '97 Mercury Mountaineer I bought in the fall of '96. In October 1997, about a year after I had owned it, the alarm started going off at all hours. Turned out the alarm was just bad. Shorted out. They popped in a new one, reset the remotes and it has worked fine ever since.

Mike
    My service manager said nothing could really be done about it because of the heating/cooling. So, I just live with it. My son said if/when he buys it from me, he will take it to an aftermarket leather place and have something done to the seats because he can not stand them. He puts a pillow behind his back when he drives it. Other than that, He loves my car. By the way, he is almost 6'6" -long torso and has to drive with the seat back recline way back in order not to bump his head on the headliner. Dealer also would not replace my fog lights.
    Thanks, I will have the dealer check out my alarm system the next time I go in for an oil change. I don't want it going off when I am not around and running my battery down!
  • johndjrjohndjr Member Posts: 80
    MARYI,
    Regarding the downshifting, I've noticed that on my Limited. Seems to down shift at the bottom of each hill when it transitions to the level or slight incline. It irritates my wife no end. She doesn't want me to use cruise control because of it. Much more noticable than my Volvo was.
  • laserpamlaserpam Member Posts: 8
    I took delivery of my xls 2 weeks ago - my salesman told me NOT to drive w/ cruise control for the first 500 miles - he said the car must learn the drivers habits.
    He said the car registers cruise control as "0 miles per hour". Don't know if it's
    bogus or not. I survived without cruise and my car doesn't hesitate for a second -
    and I'm a girl with my foot in the carburator! ;)
    Thanks for the info. I'll check it out tomorrow and I'm sure you're right about the car. I love it already.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Wouldn't be easy enough to manually select a gear with the sequential shift and hold it while on a hill instead of letting it hunt gears if it is bothering you to such an extent?
    I haven't read the owners manual yet and knowing me I probably won't but I do know that salespeople and managers alike, tend to pass down tidbits they have heard as the gospel. Now this is a wonderful car with an awful lot of technology built in, but if it's going to learn my habits, it's got another thing coming. My wife has been trying to do it for 35 years and still can't figure me out!!!!! Thanks for the input.
    No they haven't fixed the distortion yet. I failed to mention it earlier because it's just not a big deal to me. In mine it really seems to be at the top of the window and when vehicles get closer the distortion goes away. Oh well.
    These are the standard wheels for the Limited. The only options I ordered on mine were the mats, window tint and remote starter.
  • amoxomaamoxoma Member Posts: 11
    > I have the same haze on the front and back windows too and it's worse on hot humid
    > days. Also my glasses haze up a lot when I get out of the car on hot humid days.
    > I don't remember this happening with my other cars. Any relationship?

I have not experienced this problem with my new XLS, but then again, I only use my glasses for reading. Sorry, couldn't resist.
  • havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    I was wrong about Windex in my previous post. I had to spray generous amounts and wipe it off vigorously with an industrial-strength paper towel (the blue type), but both the front and rear inside glass are nice and clean, haze-free again.

havalongavalon
  • jds4jds4 Member Posts: 4
    Hi all,
    First post. I just went to look at a Blizzard Pearl Limited Avalon today and noticed it had metallic sparkles in the paint. Is this standard? Looking at other Avalons in the past in parking lots and on the road I never noticed them before.

I want to make sure this isn't some option my local dealer added to the paint.
  • jickajicka Member Posts: 38
    It is called Blizzard PEARL.
  • bahraini_zuprabahraini_zupra Member Posts: 98
    hi dude thanks for sharing the pics:D

mine is about to come withing 5 days white blizzard with paige interior :D
    Have you even discussed the colors with a salesperson???! Believe they could explain all the color mysteries to you. It's metallic paint! That's what gives it the sparkle!
    zekeman1
  • charlesn1charlesn1 Member Posts: 15
    Does anyone have the mud guards on the '05 Avalon? How well do they work? I went through a puddle on the road next to a consruction site and managed to cover both sides of the car with mud and water about 1/3 the way up. Also, do they still only come in Black? I have a Blizzard Pearl and don't really have a 'feel' on how they would look. Charlie
    Your point? Does a pearl have specs of sparkles in it?
  • gladiator99gladiator99 Member Posts: 104
    Hello jds4.
    I also purchased a new Avalon in the Blizzard Pearl finish. This color is an optional white metallic finish, which is factory applied. The dealers do not apply anything to the paint to change or alter the colours. Some dealers may apply an optional diamond coat or a similar wax treatment at extra cost but it will not change the initial color. The Blizzard Pearl is one of the nicest looking colors for the Avalon ( at least in my humble opinion). This a great car and I have had many people come over to ask me what kind of car it is and remark how great looking it is. Makes you believe you made a wise choice!
    Welcome to the forum!!
    gladiator99
    Yes I have. There seem to be very few Limited models floating around out here and none in Blizzard Pearl until I saw one yesterday. When I had seen other colors I didn't notice how prominent the glitter was in the paint. I am not sure if the Pearl brings it out more than the other colors or not.

Anyway, the one dealer who could answer questions intelligently about the Limited had the Pearl Limited and he said this is standard. Not wanting to trust the word of one salesperson, I thought I could get some information from some consumers instead.

Thanks for the overflowing help to my simple questions.
    Great - thanks so much for the information. I like it as well, I guess I was just a little shocked at first when I finally got up close to one.

Which interior color did you go with?
  • jickajicka Member Posts: 38
    Yes. "Pearl" as in "iridescence."
  • limiteddriverlimiteddriver Member Posts: 234
    I have them and think they keep the car sides cleaner. Mine came painted to match the car. I also had them on my Miata and Z4 and thought they were worth the money on those cars.
    I have them on my Blizzard Pearl - they're black. I was looking for color coordinated ones at first but my wife felt white ones might look too unusual so I got the black ones to give a try. Personally, I like them and would prefer the black after having them for some time now. I saw another car with the color coordinated ones and they did look strange. However, I know there are many on this board who prefer the colorized ones and like them...it's all a matter of taste. And yes, they do work.
    zekeman1
  • rosebud3rosebud3 Member Posts: 14
    My white pearl 2000 Avalon XLS with130 thousand + miles has painted mud guards and I feel they look good & have helped keep the car clean. The '06 Avalon Ltd arriving Aug. 25th will have 'black' mudguards. I have found any scratch or scrape on the white mud guard looks like road tar. My new car will 'mirror' the looks of my current car. Pearl white paint, ivory leather with standard Ltd. wheels, chromed. Maintaining the ivory leather was simple. I have kept my car clean inside and out. To repair a worn spot in the leather on the drivers side I had a reliable trim' shop use matching vinyl. I'm glad to report this was a cost effective way to improve the looks on a car I'm selling.