Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• hank3hank3 Member Posts: 26
    Thanks for the post. There are many other happy owners such as yourself lurking on these boards. ;)
  • scott29scott29 Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up my ltd, and immediately wished I'd gone ahead & purchased the Nav System. Did you find one that could be integrated into the Avalon dash screen? If so, does it function similar to the factory version?
  • rosebud3rosebud3 Member Posts: 14
    I am interested in obtaining information on body side molding. Is the material and look identical to recent Avalons? Can you furnish a picture of the molding on the car?
  • maryjmaryj Member Posts: 53
    Anyone aware of a top tray that will fit in the center console? The box is so deep that I lose things, that should be easy to get hold of, in it's depth.
    eBay seems to be a good place to buy sensors. My Avalon salesman bought these and is very happy with it. Can go to ebay and search for item # 7986264834.

Has anyone found a reasonable price for an XM kit for the 05 Avalon? Right now, I have an XM Roady velcroed up under the clock and it works great. I cut the antenna and soldered it together like the instructions on xm411.com. I just want everything to look factory, if I can.
  • msavalonmsavalon Member Posts: 49
    I live in Mo and got my side molding from an after market company recommended by my salesman. The parts department said Toyota didn't make them and if they got them, they would charge me $400 to install them. They (Cover-Up) came to my job and installed them in the parking lot for $275. They are the same ones as the Avalon on the show room floor. I was pleased with the work and it was guaranteed. This Company is located in Toganoxie, Ks and I'm in Kansas City, Mo. Sorry, I don't have any pictures, but they look good (I'm a picky person). Hope this helps you. :shades:
    I wonder if Toyota will install the Nav as an after market item. It would be nice for those people who couldn't get one in their area. I just think the $1900 they added to the sticker price was a bit much. Good Luck on your search. Post if you find anything comparable. Thanks. :)
  • billygatorbillygator Member Posts: 15
    Haven't found a tray, but a friend shared a good solution. Buy 2-3 of those cheap zippered pencil cases in different colors (I got mine at IKEA for $0.79 each). I keep pens and tire guage in one, change and clips in another, etc.

Not as nice as built in cubbies or a change holder, but at least it keeps the small stuff from getting swallowed up by the deep space.

Bill
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    If you failed to buy the factory nav system, the only option for a car like an Avalon, that does not fit aftermarket stereos, is something portable like this:

http://www.tomtom.com/products/product.php?ID=77&Language=4#

or this

http://www.magellangps.com/en/products/product.asp?PRODID=1091
  • limiteddriverlimiteddriver Member Posts: 234
    How high above the door bottom edge are they mounted?
  • gwsgws Member Posts: 67
    'Sorry for the rant -- it just seems like this story gets twisted in domestics' favor a lot.'

The article linked here was from the Detroit News, after all...
  • rod8rod8 Member Posts: 4
    I just came in from about 20 minutes trying again to figure out the system. And I don't think I know more now than I did before. When I push enter and enter say, Restaurants, it puts the fork and knife in the box at the top. Sometimes it would keep that and let me put another icon in but only sometimes. I don't know what I am doing different. I haven't figured out the voice yet. Maybe that will help.
    The system I am most familiar with is the Garmin GPS. I can hit "FIND", "FOOD & DRINK". and it shows everything within miles. I scroll down to the one I want and press enter and it takes me there. I think the Avalon has the same information, just longer to get there. Also the Garmin, I use as a telephone directory all the time. Avalon does the same, just longer and more complicated to find it. When the Lexus dealer, two days ago, showed me the one on the LS430, it was simular to the Avalon only touch screen. His worked almost exactly like the Garmin. And I am told by a Toyota rep. today that they use the system 4 instead of the 3 that the Avalon uses. Now that tells me why they made the upgrade. I think it is a software upgrade but don't know that much about computers but I would like to see it more user friendly. I have spent hours on the Avalon and still can't get it right, maybe mine has a problem. It seems it is never consistent with what I did before. I try to do the same thing over and it brings up another screen. But I will try the voice and see if that helps. Rod8
    My measurement shows 13 1/2 inches from the bottom edge of the door to the bottom edge of the molding and 15 inches from the bottom edge of the door to the top edge of the molding.
  • charlesn1charlesn1 Member Posts: 15
    Could you possibly post some photos? This would help many of us who are considering installing body side moldings; once we are able to find them.
  • bahraini_zuprabahraini_zupra Member Posts: 98
    hey guys i just would love to know if the camry v6 04-05 suspention fits the avalon ? or is it the same ? cuz i was surfing in eibach springs cataloug and only found camry 1.6 inch lower kit !

thanks
    As soon as I can get to my digital camera, I'll take some pictures. It will probably be this evening. I'm at work.
  • n0v8orn0v8or Member Posts: 169
    After 4 years posting on Volvo S80 boards, our lease expired in July and we purchased a 2005 Limited (our first Toyota product ever). I have read through all 8100 messages posted here to date, and am impressed with the valuable information I found.

I’ll comment on our bizarre buying experiences and my opinions regarding various points of contention expressed here (build quality, seat comfort, glass distortion, haze, brake fade, documentation, etc.) in future posts, but for now, I want to acknowledge 2 contributors and try to “return the favor”.

We quickly realized that visibility when backing up is severely limited with this body style (is that where the name came from?), so my first project was to install the Awell reverse parking sensor system. We have the same Titanium color as havalongavalon and johni, and their informative posts and photos saved me a lot of guesswork. My installation differs from theirs in that I elected to mount the “beeper” closer to the driver, since neither I nor my wife have teen-ager’s hearing acuity any longer, and I like to “crank up” the JBL stereo.

I have documented my install, and posted it in pdf format for all at:
    http://members.cox.net/n0v8or/avalon_awell_install.pdf

If the link doesn’t work directly and you have to cut & paste the URL into your browser, note there are underscores in between the words avalon, awell, and install.

I am now planning a frontal (hardware) attack on the dumb and annoying “I agree” navigator foible. I’ll let you know if I am successful.
  • rodc2rodc2 Member Posts: 26
    Re: Awell Installation
    Absolutely great "show and tell"; your pics will be very helpful.

As to your "frontal attack" on the "I agree" annoyance, there is a "fix" for the system Toyota puts in the Prius. I don't know if it is the same system as the Avalon, but this url might be a place to start: http://www.coastaletech.com/nav_kit.htm
    Rod
  • 5539655396 Member Posts: 529
    http://click.e.usatoday.com/?ffcb10-fe5916797762007b7d15-fe271c737467067a731274-fefb157671- 6306

I just recieved my weekly cars email from USA Today. My favorite reviewer Jim Healey, just posted his review of the 05 Avalon, which was done earlier. Jim tells it like is, so when he does a positive review, you can believe it.
  • dandldandl Member Posts: 57
    I am still anxiously awaiting for someone to post a solution for the navigation system that will override the " I agree" function and the inability to input guidance information while moving. I called the number listed on the Coastaletech web site about a month ago and they said that the unit they have for the Prius is NOT compatible with the Avalon :cry: However, she did tell me to email them and request that they consider developing one for the Avy. Maybe if enough of us Avy owners request the unit, they will be more inspired to develop it?!? Meanwhile, perhaps our new Avalon poster, NOv8or (welcome to the site!) might come up with a solution.....
  • alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    Picture at:
    http://www.dawn-ent.com/molding/pntmld.htm

Installation instructions:
    http://www.dawn-ent.com/install/feavalonmld.pdf

Can't find the cost anywhere on the site.
    Today, my local Toyota service mgr told me that the horn or the chirp could be programmed by using the remote. That's all I know. Don't shoot the messenger.
  • jeffscoutjeffscout Member Posts: 8
    Ahhhh....but the Avalon is domestic after all, it's made in Kentucky!!!! ;)

My last two "American" cars were technically made in America, NORTH AMERICA. One was Canadian and one was Mexican made. So, my Toyota is more American than my Ford and Chevy.
    Thanks for sending these links. I took pictures, but I didn't see where/how I could post the pictures. The moldings look like mine. I don't understand why Toyota didn't think people would want side molding. If not as an option, at least as an accessory.
  • john_galt_nyjohn_galt_ny Member Posts: 2
    Hi all. Just found this site and like it a lot. Already answered one of my questions regarding that damn seatbelt buzzer. That will go away tonight.

Anyhow, got an 05 LTD (w NAV and VCS) two days ago to replace my 02 XLS and I like it. Have a few nits to pick and questions to ask but they are minor. Of course, I'm only up to page 47 in the FIRST manual (LOL)

#1 -- Is there an elapsed time clock in the LTD? I can't find it.

#2 -- If the smart key dies and you get in with the mechanical key, how do you start the car ??

#3 -- Also saw that there is no current answer to "I agree" and the dead on movement NAV stuff. We can only hope.

Nit pick # 1 -- I REALLY would like the option to zero out the MPG and other info when I want to instead of when Toyota thinks it should.

Nit pick # 2 -- The Auto Stick is really just a gear range limiter, although it seems to work OK. Mostly useful for locking out Overdrive.

Nit Pick # 3 -- The data entry in the NAV system isn't very good. My Honda touch screen was MUCH better. That said, the lady doing the guidance has a much sexier voice.

All in all I think I'm gonna like this car. Acceleration and brakes are solid for a big guy. If only they offered Touring suspension and steering on the limited.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Here is some information for those who might still be confused on these subjects:

2006 HP - The numbers may be lower but all else is the same according to Toyota. The "yardstick" from SAE has changed but your time and trap speed in the quarter mile will be the same. This is a very quick car to weigh in at 3600 pounds. Lose no sleep......

Tire Balance - Several prior posts on this subject but the bottom line is this: Good wheels and quality tires can be balanced with either inside/outside rim weights or the glue-on centerline weights. Most Toyota dealers have never heard of mating the tire and rim (this was in a prior post and it's true) as to highs and lows. They just put the tire on, then spin it on the tire balancer and add weight to get to 0/0 on the readout. This generally works, but it does not address all tire issues. Neither does spinning the tire on the car as some may claim. If the car is vibration free at 80 mph, it should be good to top speed. If not, fix the problem. The total amount of added weight is just as important as where the weights are attached.

Given that our '03 XL is holding up well, we are waiting 'till after the first of the year to look at the '06 models. This is not a perfect car...but the overall value for the money is unbelievable. :)
  • pablo2pablo2 Member Posts: 17
    rosebud3, I had my dealer search out a second source for the moldings. My 2005 LTD is Blizzard Pearl White. When installed, rather stuck on, I could not tell the difference in the color. However, a week prior to the installation someone made a small dent on the front door. The good point was the molding covered the dent. I paid $249 for the moldings.

Paul
  • phantomgray06phantomgray06 Member Posts: 8
    Rosebud, it looks as if it was installed at the factory. Just picked up this afternoon. Will post pics in the next day or so.
  • phantomgray06phantomgray06 Member Posts: 8
    I will post photos in the next day or so. Picked it up today. Looks great!
  • weavercityweavercity Member Posts: 11
    :confuse: If my last Buick had a transmission hesitation problem, distorted rear window glass, needed side moldings-not available from the factory, had navigation management issues, seats that were not comfortable, left rust spots in my garage from the misaligned "stainless exhaust system", fog lights that were loose, :confuse: lacked breakway side mirrors, the inability to read the odometer in daylight, required premium gas for "best performance', inflated/falsified horsepower ratings and only one keyed entry I'd chalk it up to Detroit indifference/arrogance.. It seems that this board is so enthralled with the Toyota nameplate that these matters are easily overlooked/forgiven"> and indeed accepted as being OK. WHY? My next car will most likely be another Buick where I enjoyed 100k of trouble free honest comfort. But the myth of Toyota's superior engineering/design lives on. ">
    Your comments are true, but I have had wheels that vibrated on the car when they were balanced off the car and the vibration stopped when the balancing was done with the wheel on the car. This was on my '87 Volvo.
  • tomzpritomzpri Member Posts: 33
    I would not say that "this story gets twisted in domestics' favor a lot." I would say the story favors those who have not been inflating the numbers.

Fact is Toyota has been caught with grossly inflated HP numbers, more so than any other manufacturer it seems. Sort of funny how one manufacturer exploited the loopholes when most others did not.
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    Few American cars have been retested and most manufacturers said they wouldn't test unless they had an engine redesign. Just a few American cars volunteered to be retested and they faired pretty well.
  • baltomanbaltoman Member Posts: 43
    Regarding:
    "If my last Buick had a transmission hesitation problem, distorted rear window glass --- etc, "

Boy, I couldn't agree more!

I started lurking on this forum when the Avalon was on my list of cars to purchase for my mother. I am amazed at the myopic view many Avalon owners have of this car. Its like puppy-love. I thought the Avalon was a great car for the money when I test drove it back in April. Lots of toys. And some bling-bling. But what Toyota spent on toys, they apparently left off in quality. If this car were made by GM, this forum would bombard it with nasties.

Seems that as GM is focusing in on quality, Toyota has focused solely on marketing and cost savings. That has worked well for getting a younger crowd into the Avalon as the previous Avalons average owners age was 62. Unfortunately, this is a repeat of all the mistakes GM and Ford (and VW and Audi, ad nauseum) made in the 80's and 90's.

The Avalon's shortcomings may be acceptable to 30 year olds looking to impress their friends or for people who are so enamored as to believe they have a luxury car "on the cheap".

But a person looking for a high quality product with no hassles - like the previous generation of Avalons - should look less at the toys, less on the opinions of car testers that drive pampered cars for 2 hours or 2 days - and focus more on real world feed-back - available right here on this forum.
  • jim250jim250 Member Posts: 23
    '05 Limited was bought 2 weeks ago today. Yesterday drove about 460 miles to MI's Upper Peninsula. At end of trip and well into a second tank fill up, the trip computer registered exactly 35.0 mpg. I was very pleased with this mileage from such a large car. Car carried 2 adults, 2 Jack Russell Terriers with crates and dog paraphernalia, 2 small suitcases, plus misc. Tires were at 32 psi cold. Fuel was regular 87 gas. Average speed for that tank was roughly 55 mph thanks to that low speed limit and Rt. 2's reputation for being a speed trap. Ambient temperature was about 75F. A/C was off. Laser cruise control was great as I set it at 60 (maximum), and it kept the speed lower as traffic conditions dictated. If someone braked in front of me, the car seemed to brake too and the little dash icon flashed repeatedly while a tone sounded. I didn't know the brakes would be applied by LCC but don't think the car would have decelerated so quickly if the system merely cut back the throttle. Gotta read that LCC manual soon. On two lane highways the LCC always would discriminate that an oncoming car even on curves was to be ignored whereas a car traveling in the same direction ahead of me would cause my car to slow as needed. I love that LCC system... it's the best thing since sliced bread, IMHO. Car was very comfortable and accommodating for this road trip. We have no complaints at all so far. Will probably hit nearly 2K miles on odometer by the time we return home.

Jim in WI.
  • rod8rod8 Member Posts: 4
    Curious as to the tone that came on when LCC worked. Mine makes no sound and anything visible. The only way I know it is on is I look down and my speed has dropped. Then when I switch lanes, it is as though I tromp the gas pedal. I was just commenting last night on a drive home, I wish it would beep to let me know I am slowing down because it so gradual. As to the navigation, I posted earlier about how much nicer the Garmin was. Tried using it as instructed by an earlier post, it did work, but only up to 1/2 mile away. Going through a city on the freeway, it wouldn't post anything very far away. My Garmin will post restaurants or motels as far as I want it to, so if I want to eat or stay a hour away I can plan on it early and drive to it with out being 1/4 mile from it. Navigation system stinks! Other than that, I can put up with the LCC and I love the car, great gas mileage and power. I've owned Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti and currently own a BMW 740 il so I am a little familiar as to what should be expected of a nice car. This car just needs a little refinement. Rod8
  • cincyavaloncincyavalon Member Posts: 1
    I just wanted to thank everyone for their insightfull posts on this board. It has been very helpfull. I am actually in the dealership right now, waiting for the accountants to get everything ready for me to sign. Looking forward to driving my new 06 Limited home. It took 6 weeks between order and delivery. I am sure it was worth the wait. I will post my impressions in the following weeks. Thanks Again :)
  • sibobsibob Member Posts: 1
    Maybe it's just me but I love the car. I have owned Fords, Chevys, a Buick and my last car was a Saturn ( I kept the Saturn as I've always liked it and it's a good reliable second car). I went to a Toyota dealership in May looking at the Highlander because it came highly recomended by Consumer Reports. But I've never driven an SUV before and I didn't like the feeling. Then I saw the Avalon Limited. The salesman says to me "take it for a test drive". I figured OK, what the heck, why not? Well it was love at first drive. I bought it on the spot (Phantom Grey Pearl- Beautiful!) So far I have not experienced any of the quirks mentioned in this forum.(Knock on Wood!) I have never enjoyed driving a car more. I don't think it's correct to chracterize this fine automobile as a "luxury car on the cheap". To me it IS a luxury car, regardless of the price. To be frank Buick never felt like this. (And I Liked my Buick!) Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I don't doubt that their have been owners who are not happy. But I bet if you could poll all the 05 Avalon owners out there, the vast majority would turn out delighted. I know I am. :)
    Guess you haven't heard of Mazda, they paid money and refunded money on cars over false HP numbers.
  • koondogkoondog Member Posts: 15
    I'm just wondering if anyone has had any problem with the Dynamic Cruise interfering with their radar detector.
    As you know, I'm sure there is no one person having all the problems you have described. These people are having one problem or another, not all together. I wonder why GM is offering employee discounts and Toyota is not. :P I wouldn't have a Buick if you gave me one. I love my Avalon! Never paid attention to it before going to different dealerships just looking. After test driving the Avalon among others, I couldn' t get it out of my mind. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it may make you feel better about your Buick.. I am in my 40's and have had a Buick as one of my cars. It won't be another. I hope you enjoy your car as much as I enjoy my Avalon, which I have not had ANY of the above mentioned problems. :shades:
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Basically GM fans are jealous because GM has to bribe people to buy cars like LaCrosse, Malibu, Impala etc with Employee Pricing gimmick. The LaCrosse has been a sales dud before GM decided to give them away. GM's bond rating is JUNK while Toyota's is A+. Meanwhile Toyota can sell cars like the Avalon at close to MSRP. The Avalon is a great car, way better than any of GM's offering. It is hard to believe in the year 2005 GM is still peddling pushrod powered lawn mowers as family cars.
  • barclay3barclay3 Member Posts: 90
    Baltoman... you must work for GM!

I owned an 85 Cressida, a 95 Avalon and currently own the 05 Avalon Limited and it is a much better car and has had fewer defects than my 2 previous Toyotas. Also, I am a few years past 30 and I know of no shortcomings (no hesitation, distorted glass, pull to left or right) with my Avalon.

You would be doing your mom a favor if you recommend she gets one.
  • blane31blane31 Member Posts: 8
    I like the looks of tinted windows, but when I googled the subject, a site said that the most used method of application (a film) could be expected to wear out (I don't know how they could wear out) in 5 or 6 years, and that they are a devil to remove. Any comments?
  • baltomanbaltoman Member Posts: 43
    Regarding
    "The Avalon is a great car, way better than any of GM's offering."

Why do you think it is only GM owners that feel this way. The first poster had a Buick. The other - me - didn't even list his car.

I was seriously considering the car.
    It was the problems listed on this forum - plus poor JD Edwards rating regarding factory and dealer support - that made me go elsewhere.

My comments were about poor quality control. I'm sure many Avalons are problem free. Still, considering the total number of Avalon owners vs the minuscule number of Avalon owners on this forum (and that would be true of any brand). and considering the number of complaints on this forum, one can easily calculate that there is a too large chance that the Avalon I buy may have one of these problems.

Like the girl said: " I have the money but not the time."
    Meaning I don't want to be going to the dealer for ANY reason for the first 7500 miles. Many forum members have been back within the first MONTH !
    Just read the posts.

And then there is the issue of Toyota corporate integrity. Horsepower ratings anyone? How about mileage ratings - especially for City.

Now if you think the car is worth the chance and you are willing to overlook any of these issues, then, fair enough, the car is for you. But you are day dreaming if you think the 2006 Avalon is at the top in quality control. Remember all the discussions about the plant where they are built? That was Avalon owners complaining. Just look at MB sales this year - collapsing due to years of "resting on their laurels". Quality is more important than toys to many buyers.

And forget GM, just go to any other Edmunds car forum and try to find this many problems of this magnitude in a new model. Take a look at the 2006 Infiniti M45 forum. They complain about minor issues such as bluetooth connectivity - not the long list generated in the Avalon forum.

The original poster only made an observation of the collective comments in this forum. But one that really sticks out if you are objective. Toyota is sacrificing quality control for marketing. It can't be more obvious.

In the long run, a continuation of cars with Avalon's quality issues, Toyota's poor customer support, and arrogant dealers will only help Toyota's competitors - domestic and foreign.
  • blane31blane31 Member Posts: 8
    Phantom, what is the name and location of your dealer?
  • dajabdajab Member Posts: 35
    > I'm just wondering if anyone has had any problem with the Dynamic Cruise
    > interfering with their radar detector.

From the point of view of the waves being emitted, this is physically impossible. The cruise control uses an infrared laser, while the radar detector works in the microwave portion of the spectrum. Dynamic cruise control is not a radar device, so it won't interfere with your radar detector any more than a TV remote would.

Now, if one could install a radar detector that slows down, or even brakes, like the laser cruise control, then we'd really be getting somewhere.
  • angeange Member Posts: 158
    One of the main reasons for me buying the Avalon was the 280 HP engine.Now the maxima at 265 HP doesn't look so bad.

Isn't this mislabing horespower misleading the car buyers. I trust Toyota will do someting for the mis lead buyers. I would not have bought the 2005 avalon had it listed 268 HP. I had a Crown Victoria police car version and I really wanted a powerful car. ange1
  • dajabdajab Member Posts: 35
    Great pictures of your ltd, one4damoni; reminds me of my cassis ltd.

I noticed that your Nav screen has only one panel set rather than two. Now, many people may prefer this, but others may not know that you can split the screen into two panels. Since I haven't seen any discussion of this feature yet on this forum, I thought I'd mention it.

On my left-hand panel, I have a fixed large-scale map; north always is at the top, and I keep the scale at 1 mile. This is like looking at a paper map of the area, and this view allows me to keep my bearings. On the right-hand panel, I have the rotating map (the road ahead is always at the top, so it rotates when I make a turn), and I keep the scale at 1/16 mile. This panel allows me to navigate the neighborhood as I approach my destination.

I find that, unless I'm really lost, using the dual-panel screen is often sufficient to get to where I want to go. I don't always need to enter a destination or listen to instructions. (For safety purposes, of course, you do have to make sure that you glance at the map only occasionally when moving. If you have to look at the screen all the time, then using the Nav System's destination entry and voice instructions feature may be necessary.)