Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• hoop43hoop43 Member Posts: 11
    Very nice looking car. It looks like you have different rims and tires from stock. If so, what tire make/model did you choose and what size? Any particular reason(s) for your choice?

Thanks

Hoop43
  • barclay3barclay3 Member Posts: 90
    baltoman... Here's an earlier post of yours "I too left GM in the mid 70s thru the early 90s. But judging a company by something made 25 years ago is a stretch. During that period I drove the usual runners - Toyota, MB, Honda, Volvo. Quite frankly, some were excellent and some were awful. Some got good mileage and some didn't. To me, there is more to a car than squeezing the last drop of gas out of it. I now drive a 2005 GM product. It is an excellent, trouble free automobile with a high quality of fit and finish. Are there foreign competitors that were just as good for the same dollars? Yes - a few. But all things being equal, I spend my US dollars on American products and American workers. Afterall, I want MY customers to spend their money with me."

Which 2005 GM product do you own and why is it better than the Avalon?
  • baltomanbaltoman Member Posts: 43
    I drive a 2005 Cadillac STS.
    There are a lot of reasons I like it better than an Avalon.

For one thing, I could not believe all the letters and phone calls I got from both Cadillac Division as well as the dealer both thanking me for the business as well as - to my surprise - extremely detailed surveying of my likes and dislikes of the STS. They solicited my comments, both positive and negative. They queried me at length about my thoughts on fit, finish, interior design, material quality, noise levels, seat comfort and on and on. It was obvious to me that Cadillac really cared about my input and wants to make sure they are building products that meet and exceed customer expectations. They have contacted me on multiple occasions.

That is a refreshing approach that I have not encountered after buying any car - foreign or domestic, average or upscale. And it's not the factory response Toyota owners are getting.

Most important, the STS is a well made product of an American company.
    And I like supporting a country that has given me a lot of opportunity.
    Like a home, economic security, my own firm and a great family.
    All from scratch - except the family.

I know buying American is not high on the list for too many people.
    I won't buy American junk. But when close, I buy American.
    Or possibly Canadian.

Afterall, I'm from East Baltimore, not Tokyo or Munich.

As for worries about resale - Simple.
    I lease for 3 years. At very attractive terms provided by GMAC

BTW, if you ever travel to Japan, you'll find out that
    many Japanese consider it unpatriotic to buy "foreign",
    especially cars.

But I was looking for a car for my mother.
    Although I prefer she buy American,
    she gets what she wants.
    She didn't want the Avalon.
    We are still looking.

Like most families, various members have tried just about all there is out there except exotics.
    Long term conclusion: Today's foreign products are over-rated with high maintenance costs. Domestics are erratic in quality too, but are really trying to improve.

The Japanese built their quality reputation on cheap, efficient, simple cars - like the Corolla or Celica. But those days are mostly gone. Today's cars are complicated and often feature laden. In this environment, Japan and Europe both seem to have at least as many quality issues as the domestics.

And that was my only point.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    "I spend my US dollars on American products and American workers. Afterall, I want MY customers to spend their money with me."

If you are here to start a domestic vs import competition than you are failing badly. The Avalon might not be the perfect car but it is definitely better than anything GM offers as the competition. The LaCrosse is an OK car but not at the same class as Avalon. The Avalon has roasted the LaCrosse in just about every comparison test. You cannot judge by people's gripe on internet forum as an accurate sample of a car's overall problem. That is called bad statistics. The 2005 Avalon has been completely redesigned so some minor issue is not at all uncommon. I trust Consumer Reports since I think it is the best source for a car's long term reliability. And the Avalon did very well. I keep my car for at least 10 years/120,000 miles and I do not trust GM product to last that long. I still see a lot of owners of late model GM cars on the side of the road with the hood popped open and scratching their head.
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    It's all a matter of taste, people!!!! Some, like me, are sold on Japanese (specifically Toyota in my case). I read Consumer Reports - and buy accordingly. I don't like my (new) car sitting in a dealers repair bays. Fortunately for me, my LTD has been perfect - no complaints, no problems.

Interestingly, my dealer also sells GM products; value (as with Japanese) drops dramatically when the car is driven away. But resale stays much higher than GM. A friend just bought a CTS Cadillac and took me for a ride - there was no comparison to my LTD. But that is what he likes and he's happy - so I am. His CTS has been in the shop for 2 weeks now trying to figure out a starting problem.

I lived in Tokyo for almost 4 years. Japanese people had a lust for American cars -but they had to be modified for Japan & it cost a fortune. Regardless, it was not uncommon to see a big American car with right hand drive trying to squeeze down some of the narrow streets. To own American, modified for Japan, was a huge status symbol (it really showed who had the $$).

So---------to each his own! All of the American car owners - have a great day! For the owners of Japanese products (built in the U.S. or overseas), we'll have a great one, too!
    zekeman1
  • n0v8orn0v8or Member Posts: 169
    - The good -
    Engine responsiveness.
    Very quiet and smooth ride. Best of any car I have owned or leased.
    Impeccable exterior fit and finish.
    Ventilated front seats
    Rear seats
    Toyota technical information web site- a great value.

- The fair –
    JBL stereo – clean, but weak bass; no punch.
    Front seat comfort (Limited model) – disappointing, but tolerable. I wish they would have copied Volvo instead of Fiat.
    Poor rear visibility - installing a parking sensor system helped a lot.
    Fuel, trunk and rear shade switches to close together, hard to see, and not illuminated.
    Homelink buttons not illuminated – how hard could it be, with power already there?

- The bad -
    Brake fade. I agree with those who have observed this. If I stop with the engine running, and apply constant firm pressure to the pedal, it will fade all the way to the floor (this takes 10-15 seconds). However, I don’t feel any fade in normal driving. I noticed in the shop manual they have a pressure regulator in the system that bleeds fluid back to the reservoir above a certain force, so this may be a design “feature”. Toyota should have explained this in the Owners Manual.

Navigator instruction manual – close to worthless. Virtually every instruction omits some subtle but important step. Sometimes, the missing step is intuitive, so you perform it without realizing you have done so.

Transmission – occasionally vibrates (feels like a highway “rumble strip”) when changing gears at light throttle. Most 3 and 4 speed automatic transmissions only require application (or release) of a single friction element (band, brake or clutch) to change from one gear to the next. For the intermediate gears, the Avalon design requires 2 synchronized friction element actions. If not perfectly timed, the transmission tries to be in 2 gears at once. It won’t take many of these to self-destruct.

Steering pull – I agree with those who have detected a tendency for the car to pull away from the crown of the road. There is not enough caster and/or steering inclination. I can live with it.

The passenger is seat too flat (front edge should be higher); height and tilt are not adjustable - I changed the tilt with shims, more to our preference.

Stupid cartridge oil filter – “back to the 80s”, when both Toyota and GM used, then abandoned, these. Who wants to handle an oil-soaked filter element? Looks to me like an attempt to discourage home mechanics, so Dealers can charge outlandish rates. My dealer was crestfallen when I told him I planned to do my own oil changes anyway. Sorry, his new boat purchase will have to wait a few more weeks.

“I agree” (navigator) – Toyota is genuflecting at the altar of the US Trial Lawyers association. I think I can beat this (initial testing of a hardware hack looks good).

Interior fit and finish - poor and disappointing. Misaligned seams abound. The nav controller was loose and falling out of it’s “drawer” (I fixed it myself – Dealers break 3 new things for every one they successfully repair). Dirt on the headliner, and glue residue all over the instrument panel cover and trim from tape used to hold protective plastic sheets in place for shipping.

- Other –
    Rear window distortion. Yes, it’s obvious, but not really a big deal to me. It seems to be a consequence of the steep backlite rake. If I sit in the back seat and look up toward the top of a tall building, there is no distortion.

Window haze – every new car I have owned since 1979 had done this until the interior materials completed out-gassing. Old cars used metals instead of plastics, so no haze.

Loose fog lights – yes they are loose, but I see this as preferable to a tight mount that stresses the glass (Volvos are infamous for headlight and fog light lens stress cracks).

Hesitation – I have not perceived any. The vaunted new Mitsubishi Eclipse was dog meat for the Avalon at a stop light.

Seat belt warning – doesn’t bother me.

- Overall -
    Would I buy it again . . . . . absolutely.
  • nels2nels2 Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in the transmission hesitation problem you mentioned. I have a 2005 Avalon, the fifth Avalon I have owned since 1995 and this transmission is different. I had the service tech drive it and he said he didn't see any problem, but something has changed.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    The 05 tranny in the Avalon uses a new 5 speed automatic instead of 4 like the pre 2005 versions. Also the throttle is an electronic drive-by-wire throttle system which means there is no mechanically linked cable between the acclerator pedal and the engine. So those of you who are first time owner of cars DBW throttle system, it does feel a bit different from the more "traditional car".
  • lgigantelgigante Member Posts: 34
    I had tinted film applied to my 2001 Chrysler after I bought it. When I sold it after 4 years, I could detect little wear. Very few minor scratches, no peeling or color changes. The only thing I didn't like about them was visibility when backing at night when there were no street lights. I found the windows definitely kept the car cooler in the Florida heat. I plan to install them on my Limited but will only use 35% all around for better night visibility. Make sure they are installed by a professional.
  • nemodatnemodat Member Posts: 14
    I've had tinted windows on my last four vehicles(two Nissan Maximas & two Avalons) and have it on my 2005 avalon. I sold each of the previous 4 cars after 5 years of use. In each case the tinting on the windows looked as good as the day it was applied. The tinting was done professionally by a reputable dealer and I made every effort not to accidently scratch it but put forth no superhuman effort. I don't think you have anything to worry about judging from my experience.
    Peace
  • 94supra94supra Member Posts: 32
    While I don't yet have an Avalon (considering one for 06 or 07), I do have a Camry SE with the 3.3 liter engine and 5 speed automatic transmission. This is the same drivetrain they are using in the Lexus ES330 and there does seem to be a pattern of complaints involving hesitation in certain driving conditions associated with the Toyota 6 cylender engine/5speed automatic transmission combinations.

Even though I am happy with the overall performance of my SE (a great stealth highway cruiser), there does appear to be some sort of systemic issue with there new 5 speed platforms that I would like to see Toyota address. I would certainly like to see a quicker, more sure downshift and acceleration when you first need to lift the throttle and then accelerate quickly. Once the throttle is lifted, the system seems to take an extraordinary amount of time to respond when the throttle is re-applied. This scenario happens frequently in lane change situations and it also happens when you coast toward an intersection waiting for it to clear and then want to accelerate across it. People who never drive aggressively (probably 60% of current Avalon buyers) may never even notice this issue, but those of us who are used to sports car levels of responsiveness simply must get used to the response characteristics of this platform.

Many people have tried to explain that the hesitation is a result of the drive-by-wire nature of the new platform with some implication that electronics inherently slow down the response. From a systems engineering point-of-view, a drive-by-wire system can be designed and programmed to achieve almost any type of performance characteristics. They are not inherently slower in response than mechanical linkages. All modern jet fighters incorporate fly-by-wire technology in order to achieve fast, reliable and programmable response characteristics.

I am a bit suspicious that Toyota engineers have chosen to program the response characteristics in this application to either optimize for mileage at all costs or to cover-up some sort of design issue in the transmission. I would be very intersted to hear more knowledgable people discuss the design characteritics of the Avalon 5 speed transmission versus similar platfroms in other cars. In other applications, software is often used to intentioanally slow down response characteristics of a system to avoid over stressing some mechanical or electrical alement of the system and it would not shock me if that is what Toyota did. They may also have chosen to use slower actuators than they should have in favor of cost savings or the processor may be too slow to make the proper calculations in the needed amount of time. It could also just be poorly desigend software with no other root cause. In any event, it is not an enherent weakness in drive-by-wire. It is a performance characteristic of this particular system. If Toyota can fix this problem, I think they will see more drivers who will otherwise consider BMW or Audi choosing the new Avalon as a cost effective substitute (not everyone that can afford an expensive car chooses to drive one).
  • gwsgws Member Posts: 67
    Posters who come to a model-designated forum looking for reaction to off-topic incitement may be more likely to look elsewhere if they can't start an argument. Rational, well-meaning responses merely fan the flames.
  • osage3osage3 Member Posts: 1
    Go to Nissan's website and look at the specs for 2006 Max. You might want to inform yourself before making your argument against Toyota's fudge on horsepower. Perhaps all of the car companies did this, only time will tell. I bought a 2004 Max SL [before the new Avalon came out] and regretted the purchase almost immediately. The car had an intermittant steering wheel tremer [some call it a shimmy] which Nissan could not or would not fix [5 tries]. I finally traded the loaded Max for an unloaded Avalon XL and haven't looked back. Really, this car is more responsive and of course has far better NVH
    characteristics than the Max. You have a fast and powerful car that doesn't have the sensation of being fast and powerful. Everyone should be so lucky.
  • 94supra94supra Member Posts: 32
    Rational, well-meaning responses may also eventually lead to more knowledgeable purchases and they may also press manufacturers to improve their products in specific areas that are illuminated. True trolls are pretty obvious, but some of us are really interested in a dialog about the new Avalon because we have a real interest in buying one in the future. I have a great local dealer and this is a major reason I will continue to buy Toyotas, but I would also certainly like to see them improve in some areas where they have opportunities to do so.

I like Toyota products and they have provided my daily driver since the late 80s as well as one of my favorite toys (94 Supra, Turbo, 6speed, Targa), but there is an opportunity for them to improve in certain areas. No products are ever perfect, but I hope forums like this can help provide feedback to vendors that will lead to even better products. Specific performance characteristics may never be a problem for drivers who are never going to explore certain areas of their cars performance potential. Thus, they may be able to safely ignore those issues in their purchase decisions. Other drivers will be best served by checking out certain performance characteristics before they buy.

The transmission/hesitation issue has been brought up often enough that Toyota should find a way to improve it. If they don't, it will eventually cost them sales. Toyota does have an excellent product engineering department, but they are pushed and pulled in various directions by various economic forces. I would like to see them do something to improve the performance of their 5 speed automatic/ 6 cylinder cars in specific ways. It would not be a show stopper for me to continue to buy Camrys if they don't, but a positive resolution would encourage me to feel better about spending even more money on a higher-end Toyota offering such as the Avalon.
  • dajabdajab Member Posts: 35
    > I spend my US dollars on American products and American workers. Afterall, I
    > want MY customers to spend their money with me.

Just to set the record straight, the 2005 Toyota Avalon IS an American car. It is designed and built in the U.S. (The factory is in the international, cosmopolitan state of Kentucky.) And it is the first product developed entirely in the U.S. by the Toyota Technical Center in, of all places, Ann Arbor, Michigan. (This has been stated many times before on this forum.) I'm sure that a small fraction of the profit makes its way to Tokyo eventually, but almost all of the $25-35K per car remains right here.

Given the difficulties with new model startup, I doubt that Toyota also will be making a right-hand-drive model for Japan very soon. And the car is probably too big for much of that market anyway.
  • phantomgray06phantomgray06 Member Posts: 8
    Molle - Kansas City, MO
  • jim250jim250 Member Posts: 23
    Re: >

When LCC is enabled the window beneath the tach (I think) shows how far the lead distance is set -- short, medium, or long. If no cars ahead fall within the set range then you cruise at your preselected speed. Once a car moves into that range, a little picture of a car appears in that window and the Avalon slows down enough to maintain the preset following distance. A car braked to turn into a driveway and my car slowed greatly as if I were pressing the brake pedal. At the same time the range/distance icon and the car icon in that window started to flash. A tone began to repeat like cell phones used to make before the advent of musical ring tones. The manual says that this is to alert the driver to apply the brakes. I'm still not sure whether my car was using the brakes but how else could it have decelerated so strongly? In answer to one of your queries, you will know when your car's set speed is being modified by LCC by the appearance of the car icon in that display window on the dash (as well as by seeing the speedometer register a lower speed).

Jim in WI.
  • jim250jim250 Member Posts: 23
    Don't know why this forum left out the snip to which I was responding, but I'll try to include it again now:

Curious as to the tone that came on when LCC worked. Mine makes no sound and anything visible. The only way I know it is on is I look down and my speed has dropped. Then when I switch lanes, it is as though I tromp the gas pedal. I was just commenting last night on a drive home, I wish it would beep to let me know I am slowing down because it so gradual.

Jim in WI.
  • koondogkoondog Member Posts: 15
    You wrote: I have sent an email to Coastal Electronics asking when I should expect delivery of my Viewtech adapter to integrate a backup camera with the Avalon's information display. I will post again after I have it operational."

Have you installed the back-up camera and if so, how is it working?
    What different components did you have to buy? How hard was the installation? What was the total cost?

Thanks,
    Koondog
  • msavalonmsavalon Member Posts: 49
    I brought my '05 LTD at Molle In Kansas City, Mo also and the car on the showroom floor showed the body side moldings as $399. The next day, I was on a 3-way call with the parts department and my salesman and they even quoted me $400 if they did the work. I asked my salesman if that was the best he could do. He said there is an aftermarket company that does it for Toyota and that's how I became acquainted with Cover-Up. I got them at cost (supposely) for $275. Check your paperwork again and make sure that is what they charged you for the molding. I hope as a female, I didn't get a raw deal! :mad:
  • dandldandl Member Posts: 57
    That was a very comprehensive post nOv8or, I have to agree on most of your points. Please keep us posted on whether you have any success with bypassing the " I Agree" nuisance. Also I am very interested in your solution to the "flat passenger seat " as I would love to lift the front edge on our Limited's passenger seat. What did you use for shims and where did you insert them? I casually inquired at a Toyota service (sic) department about buying a Limited driver's seat, (one built for UK or other right hand drive markets) to replace my barely adjustable passenger seat. To my surprise, he actually got back to me two weeks after our bad service experience there (that's another story!) to tell me that he could get the seat and install it for $6800. I think your shim solution is more economically feasible! Thanks in advance,dandl in Motown
  • ednovakednovak Member Posts: 55
    Curious as to the tone that came on when LCC worked. Mine makes no sound and anything visible. The only way I know it is on is I look down and my speed has dropped. Then when I switch lanes, it is as though I tromp the gas pedal. I was just commenting last night on a drive home, I wish it would beep to let me know I am slowing down because it so gradual.
    I have the same LCC unit on my Sienna. The beeping only occurs if the unit detects a condition where it does not expect to be able to slow the car enough automatically (the automatic braking is very limited). It's a "wake up" warning. If the system judges that it can slow down fast enough without human intervention it simply does so with no warning as part of its normal operation.
    Toyota recently introduced a transmission upgrade TSB for the five speed SIenna to address the hesitation issue. I don't know if a similar one exists for the Avalon but it improved the situation significantly for both "manual" and Laser Cruise Control initiated acceleration. It isn't perfect but its a pretty significant improvement.
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Member Posts: 123
    Baltoman,
    I almost bought a Caddy CTS, which I think is a great car (with the employee discount) but settled for a '05 Limited, mainly because my wife didn't want to go back to rear wheel drive. It would have been great to own a true red, white & blue "American" car like the CTS, which was extensively tested in Germany & has a transmission built in France, our partners in the war on terror. I also considered a La Cross, which is built in Canada, our 51st state. I guess a car designed, tested and built in the US isn't as "American" as a Canadian built Buick.
    For shims, I used 1" x 1" (approximate) pieces of high-compressive-strength plastic with holes drilled in the center, cut from a poly kitchen cutting board ($4). It is easier to drill the holes if you do it first. The cutting board was 3/8" thick. Stacking 2 shims will raise the seat 3/4".

Adjust the seat all the way rearward.
    Remove the two front plastic bolt covers; they will pry off with a putty knife.
    Remove the two front seat retaining bolts.
    Go to a hardware store (or Lowes or Home Depot) and buy 2 similar bolts that are longer by at least the amount you intend to raise the edge. As I recall, the bolts were 10mm fine thread. Use a nut to be sure you buy the same thread pitch as the original bolts. There are three different pitches available in 10mm size.
    Raise the front of the seat frame (this can be done by hand), slide the shims between frame and floor, then use the longer bolts.
    If you have alignment problems that prevent you from starting the new bolts, loosen the 2 rear mounting bolts so you can shift the seat frame.
    The plastic trim covers will not fit properly any longer. I used "plas-dux" (electricians' putty) to hold them in place.
  • baltomanbaltoman Member Posts: 43
    "I guess a car designed, tested and built in the US isn't as "American" as a Canadian built Buick."

The profits go to Japan.
    I like keeping them here.

The STS is all American except the trans.

It's built in France by a consortium that also builds the same for BMW.
    The consortium is partially owned by GM and brings profits here.

I just reflect the fact that America's economic security is part of my decision making.

Yes, foreign firms employ Americans. But the profits "go home".

And finally, all cars present an image. And most people care - even if they deny it - what that image is.

If they didn't, Rambler would still be in business.

I like the image owning an American luxury car represents.
    I like what it says about me.

Other things may be more important to others.

But believe me, what you drive says something about most people - whether they intended or not.

Personally, I think people should drive what they want.

I always do.
  • drfudrfu Member Posts: 9
    Is this option fully integrated where you actually use the dials on the JBL stereo to control the Sirius channels, or is there another piece of hardware that controls the Sirius channels?? Does anyone know for sure??
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Interestingly enough, in my 8 years plus of selling Toyotas; horsepower has never been an issue with my customers. It all boiled down to price and features and standard equipment when comparing similar vehicles. And lest not forget QDR, quality, dependability, and reliability which the domestics cannot match Honda or Toyota at any price.
    ;)
    Mackabee
  • stlmostlmo Member Posts: 40
    Have been reading these discussions for 2 mo & have obtained great info on the Avalon. Purchased my Blizzard Pearl w/ivory int in mid July. Has NAV, VSC, Laser CC, spoiler & mats. Got it for $3,100 off MSRP (no dealer add ons & taxes and license are separate in MO. Thought deal was good for St. Louis area as most were not coming off sticker-or $1K at most. Went ahead & got the 6yr/100K Toyota top of the line warranty for another $900(they originally wanted $1,120). Per this site I guess I could have gone to central IA, KS, or Arkansas & done somewhat better but seemed like sort of a hassle & would prefer a local dealer as long as the price diff isn't too great.

Over 30 years of new car buying this is my first non-American brand (yes, I know it is probably more American than some of the GM & Fords I have had and that also played somewhat in my decision). My spouse will be the primary driver and the Avy replaces her LeSabre. Decision wasn't a reliability thing as over the past 8 yrs have had 4 American vehicles (Bonneville, LeSabre, EB Expedition, &EB Explorer-my current car). Drove these a total of 380K miles & none of them ever were in the shop except for routine maintenance and replacement of 2 water pumps & 1 alternator between them. During this purchase process getting a nice, roomy car was at the top of the list. Considered Ford 500 Limited (lacked style), Chrysler 300 Limited (afraid of rep for lack of reliability but a nice car), and the 05 STS. Liked the 6 cyl STS very much, particularly given the employee pricing and my $2,500 GM dollars, & likely would have bought one except for two factors. 1st is the back seat is not as roomy and 2nd, my wife said she would feel self conscious driving a Caddy. It was really her decision & I did like the extra features we would be getting for less money in the Toyota.

Have had the car over a month & 500 mi now & it is a great vehicle. Of all the shortcomings noted on this site mine only has slightly loose fog lights & the passenger tail pipe about a 1/2 inch below the other one. No big deal, the service dept can easily raise the pipe & they can try to tighten the fog lights but if they can't I don't really care. Overall, fit & finish quality are excellent and the car drives & rides excellent (no prob w/tranny but have yet to take a really long trip to test the comfort of the Limited's drivers seat). The "Agree" screen on the NAV functions the same as my Garmin C330 unit although I do have to admit the Garmin is easier to use and finds nearby POIs easier. The mounting of the Avalon's unit however makes it easier to read than my Garmin as it does not wash out in the sunlight.

Regarding fuel economy, I have yet to take a road trip. The car has only been used on my daily 36 mi commute (spouse out of town for 6 wks on business) and am getting 25 mpg on a route that is 50/50 freeway & stop n go. Have only filled up once and used 93 oct, don't know what the dealer put in for the first tank.

For those who haven't, I recomment reading of the owner's manuals (I know they are long and often not well written) as the car has a lot of features. For example, I did not know you could turn off & on the stereo 3 ways-the button on the unit of course, the voice activation, and by holding down the steering wheel mode button for several seconds. Also I found out that although the car lacks visor extensions like the Buick or a 2 visor system on each side like the Explorer, the Avalons visors will slide back in order to block the sun in the needed place when using them positioned to the side window.

Items I have done or plan to do. Today I installed protective shielding over the laser unit and the fog lights (lost both of the Bonny's fog lights to rocks). Used the Headlight/Foglight Protective Shield, 3M product, obtained from Griot's Garage catalog. Ordered several items from web site provided on this discussion (a Toyo dealer in TX). These are Toyota brand rubber floor mats for winter use, Toyota brand black mud guards (will see what they look like & if don't like will return & get white), and the foldup storage container for the trunk. Today I will order from the Alwell site a backup sensor. Am going to get the RDS one that has a wireless receiver you can put anywhere (hopefully room in the small console box in front of the arm rest). This unit is a little pricier at $159, but in addition to the beeper it will display the distance in inches. Will use the excellent instructions and pictures of the installation that were provided on this site a couple of days ago.

Sorry this is so long but as I said this is my first post and I really like this car so far. In fact my sister, whose 2003 ES330 comes off lease in 3/06 had been planning to move up in the Lexus line but after seeing my Avalon and riding in it she said it would be perfect for her replacement and plans to get an identical one.
  • charlesn1charlesn1 Member Posts: 15
    Went to Griot's Garage web site. I could not find the protective shield you mentioned. Do you by any chance have a part number for the product? Charlie
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    The controls of the JBL stereo control the satellite channels. There is no other piece of hardware.
    zekeman1
    Thanks again nOv8or. Are you satisfied with the results of the shim lift?
    Well now if we can just make the nav. more user friendly while underway, my wife will have no complaints . dandl
    I get Griot's catalog, sorry haven't looked at the web site. The 11" x 17" Headlight shield is part # 10227 in the most current catalog (page 28). Phone is 800-345-5789. It goes for $22.99 and I didn't pop for the Positioning Spray & Squeegee kit for it. The description says it will withstand a pellet rifle shot from 20' so I hope it will work for most of what I might encounter. The product itself is adhesive backed laminated acrylic coating over a vinyl base. Don't think it will pose a problem with the laser but haven't road tested it yet. The above size was plenty to do both fog lights, the laser, plus the fog lights on my Explorer, with a lot left over. This is handy as I did have to redo one piece as I didn't get it on quite in the right position and I had to redo it. The product does cut easily with good quality scissors so the fabrication is quite easy.
  • zoom2xtnzoom2xtn Member Posts: 8
    My 05 Avalon Limited came with Nav, laser cruise, XM, mudguards and mats. I went to Sam's Club and bought some heavy duty rubber floor mats -- set of 4. They are great, and the price was about $18.00! I just laid them on top of the OEM mats. Much better than the mats at Wal-Mart. They come in black, tan and gray. The gray look great in my Phathom Gray car. My local Sam's is out of tan but as soon as they get some I'm getting a set for my wife's Avalon.

Lee

ZOOM 2X, the TN tag on my BR Performance supercharged, intercooled, Big Throttle Body 2002 Miata is pronounced "ZOOM-ZOOM"
    Charles, Found the headlight protectors on the Griot's Garage web site. They are under "Car Care" tab then the "Maintain" tab.
    The shims helped, but still would like tilt controls like our Volvo had. I suspect the seat frames are identical except for certain parts omitted on the passenger side. It might be possible to buy the motors, switch, and rods, and restore full functionality.

NAV Diagnostic screens
    While doing some research on the Prius and Sienna forum sites, I discovered instructions to access NAV diagnostics on the display.

To put your Nav in diagnostic mode, do the following:

1. Put your ignition key in "ACC" position (with Smartkey, press button 2 times with foot off the brake pedal).
    2. Turn your headlights to the OFF position if you have them on AUTO.
    3. The Nav should display the Toyota banner and then wait at the
    disclaimer screen that prompts for the hated “I agree”. While on this
    screen, press and hold down the "info" button on the Nav and at the same
    time flick your parking lights on then off three times. (2 clicks clockwise, 2 clicks counterclockwise, 3 times in succession, while the "info" button is held down).

Note: Audio and Nav will shut off during diagnostics. To revert everything back to normal, just turn the ignition to off.

The most interesting screen I saw was one that included a selection to test a back-up camera (it was grayed out, and inaccessible). It looks like there may have been plans at one time to implement a system similar to the Sienna.

While installing the reverse parking sensors, I also noticed a reverse wire runs to the NAV unit . . . so it already "knows" when the vehicle is in reverse.

The Prius/Sienna crowd has defeated the inability to input changes while in motion. They remove the speed sensor input to the NAV ECU, then build a timer circuit that reconnects it for a short time every 15 seconds. They don't seem to have the "I agree" issue to contend with.
    Hi stlmo,
    I am interested in a foldup storage container for the trunk, also mud guards. Could you be more specific about the website of the Toyo dealer that you ordered yours from? Also how do black mud guards look on Blizzard White body? dandl
  • ednovakednovak Member Posts: 55
    The Prius/Sienna crowd has defeated the inability to input changes while in motion. They remove the speed sensor input to the NAV ECU, then build a timer circuit that reconnects it for a short time every 15 seconds. They don't seem to have the "I agree" issue to contend with.

Actually, there is a "no wiring required" hidden "bypass" sequence to allow setting the NAV regardless of whether you are in motion that works for both Lexus and Sienna and might work for the Avalon if someone wants to try it out. It uses a hidden touch screen sequence to activate a different diagnostics screen which allows a bypass of the "lock out" function while in motion. It might work with the Avalon but since it uses the touch screen, its iffy. :confuse:
    I have the Lexus/Sienna instructions but can't figure out how to add an attachement here. If you want to experiment with it to see if you can get it to work without a touch screen contact me, [email protected], and I'll send you the instructions.

EVERYONE has the "I Agree" issue. Toyota (all models that I am aware of) and Lexus must all have the same overzealous lawyers working for them. Talk about CYA.. What a pain. :mad:
  • angeange Member Posts: 158
    You summed up my views pretty much.

I had the wood strip on the dash passenger side replaced because it had a 1/4 inch gap and you could see cloth through it. What a mistake. The nice certified mechanics busted the air vent control wheel. Pushed it all the way into the radio bezel. Bent the navagation door. Now it has an off set gap and doesn't go all the way to fit even. The rubber stops are missing . The nav door scraps and and when stops at the bottom it is metal to metal .They supposely put a new door on. The radio cover opens about 1/2 of the time. The new bezel has the air vent wheel so close to the dash, pushed in, that it is barely moveable. The service manager tells me these items are difficult to correct. Dumb answer.

I will work out my issues with another dealer.

I am thinking about fixing the nav door. How difficult is it to remove the console. The gear shift handle has to be removed and 2 screws. Can you lift the console up over the nav door? ange1
  • charlesn1charlesn1 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks, found the product. It appears that you mount it directly to the lens. Several postings appear to have used some type of hard materials that do not touch the laser lens. I can't figure out how the 3M material can protect the lens yet not at least crack it on impact. Afterall, it is mounted directly to the lens. Let me know if it interferes with the laser beam. Thanks, Charlie
  • bogeygolferbogeygolfer Member Posts: 17
    >> Let me know if it interferes with the laser beam

I had the 3M film installed on my DLC lens as part of my clear bra install. So far it, my DLC seems to be working fine.

JR
    ednovak - you are correct. I was looking for this same bypass option when I accessed the Avalon NAV disgnostics screens. Unfortunately, I did not find it. Our software seems to be different.

The downside of the Lexus/Sienna approach you mentioned is that it must be repeated every time the car is turned off (I would be OK wiith that). The "hardware" method appears to act as a permanant bypass.

Perhaps someone on this forum will be more persistent exploring the diagnostics and discover a workaround similar to Lexus/Prius/Sienna.
    ange . . . . it is not too difficult to remove the lower console. Once removed, you have full access to the NAV controller subassembly and can even remove it entirely to add shims and new rubber cushions.

I removed mine after my NAV controller pulled away from the cover, leaving a big gap and rendering the "up" position of the 5-way switch inaccessible. While I had it apart, I took the opportunity to accomplish step one of eliminating the need to bother with "I agree"; this involves disassembling the NAV controller itself.

I took some pictures and will write instructions for lower console removal and post them tonight. You will need 2 or 3 stiff plastic putty knives and lots of patience; no special tools are required. Don't rush and the entire lower console will come out without any damage; it should take 10-15 minutes tops the first time. Then you can bring it inside and work on a well-lit surface. Toyota employed some clever design tricks to permit removal without first removing the part of the dash that is just below the radio.
    Do you know if one can be installed after factory that can utililize the existing JBL controls?
    Dandl,
    I got the Cargo tote by Cargo-Logic at http://www.anythingtoyota.com/
    It was $29.25. Just go to the site & hit the mud flap picture in the bottom half of the screen, then after it takes you to the next screen there is a search function available. Just type in Avalon for all categories and go. Up will come about 8 or so pages of Avalon items including the Cargo tote and all the different types of mud flaps. Pay attention to the year noted for each item as all Avalon items will come up.

The prices are reasonable compared to my local dealers. I did see the cargo tote or similar items for a few dollars less elsewhere on the net but since I also wanted the Toyota brand mudguards and winter mats I ordered it all together. Expecting the order to arrive today or tomorrow so don't know yet how good the black will look on the Blizzard Pearl. Will let you know my opinion when they arrive.
    Charlie, You are correct, it does mount directly (it is adhesive backed). I did see that others had made hard material covers and it does seem like these might provide greater protection as they would likely sacrifice themselves in the event of an extremely hard strike. I chose this product as it is supposed to protect from debris and rocks breaking or cracking the lenses so I took them 3M at its word. Time will tell. Chances are a fog light would take the first hit since there are 2 of them & they are larger than the laser. Also this method was a lot easier and less time consuming. I did get to thinking after your observation that it would be relatively easy (but carefully) to double layer the product to provide twice the protection. Still haven't had it out to test but one of the prior responses indicates it does not interfere with the function.
  • 5539655396 Member Posts: 529
    "Personally, I think people should drive what they want."

You got that right. I will spend my hard earned money for what is best for me.
    I have waited for over 25 years for US manufacturers to get their act together. Loyalty only goes so far. If they won't - or can't, give me what I want, I will go elsewhere to someone who will. After 25 years, I feel NO guilt. It was their choice, not mine.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Folks, it's (past) time to let this thread go. We're here to talk about the Avalon, not the implications of choices of manufacturers. The News & Views board is your best bet for conversations of that nature.
  • njnynjny Member Posts: 34
    SIRRIUS OPTION NOT AVAILABLE FROM TOYOTA FOR AVALON!
    My order with my Toyota dealer never went through for the integrated Sirrius Radio.
    They informed me that the BTO order on the website that has the Sirrius option is an error.
    Only the XM option is available, so the website is wrong.
  • gbinplanogbinplano Member Posts: 65
    Sorry for the delay in following-up with this. Coastal Electronics still does not have the ViewTech Toyota interface in stock. However, I did find the ViewTech interface, sans audio input, at http://audioandvideointerfaces.com . I received the interface and have begun installation in my Limited. The major installation issue so far has been lack of 12 VDC power in the rear of the car. I have both the chassis and electrical service manuals. The Avalon is very well constructed underneath its exterior. Clearances are tight and connectors are well hidden. I found the best source for 12 v and ground was the accessory socket in the console box. In order to pass two wires through to the trunk, I needed to remove the rear seat bottom and left rear seat back, as well as the trim panel between the rear door and rear window, and the sill plate trim. After removing the rear A/C grill, I drilled a 1/4" hole into the console storage compartment. I am using a cigar lighter plug from an unused computer travel power supply to terminate the power leads. It plugs into the accessory socket. I passed the wires under the rear carpet along the slight hump in the center and along the front of the left rear seat through an opening near the seat harness anchor to the trunk. All of the trunk shielding on the left of the vehicle needs to be removed to bring the wire into the trunk to the Nav control unit.

I got a 1" diameter reverse image camera from http://autotoys.com . As time allows, I will install the camera just to the right of the license plate about an inch beneath the bumper overhang.

This is not an install for the squeamish. While the seats are rather easy to remove, fishing the wire into the console was not. However, it should work well and look fine when I have completed installation

Greg
    njny- So what are you going to do...go with XM or get a post factory Sirius install??