Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• nemodatnemodat Member Posts: 14
    I want to weigh in on the side of those who find that the new models with Michelin tires are as quiet or quieter than previous models. I have owned a '96 and an '00.

Also, while I have been told I have a "Cute Tush" ( and not just by my mother), I weigh 230 lbs so I am not exactly a small guy. Yet, in 3 lenghthy trips, I have found the seats very confortable. Although, there does not appear to be a lot of external bolstering, there does appear to be internal support because I do not wander all over the seat in turns etc.That can actually be helpful for those of you whose tushes are more "wide" than "cute".

Finally, I have felt from the beginning that the '05 seems to handle curves etc. at high speeds noticeably better than my "00, although Consumer Reports seems to say the emergency responses are not that great. How do other owners feel?
    Peace.
  • bahraini_zuprabahraini_zupra Member Posts: 98
    can u please explains what exactly do u mean>?

• cms1528cms1528 Member Posts: 45
    Does anyone know what a paint sealer is. My dealer has thrown it in on my purchase of new 06 limited. He said its a clear coat that goes over the paint to seal it. Well there is a clear coat put on a car when its pained at the factory so I dont know what he is talking about. i will have to check with the service dept. I guess.
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    It's probably nothing more than a polymer type protective coating similar to wax substitutes available in auto parts stores or online. Zaino and Meguiars polymer products come to mind. It's basically an overpriced money maker for the dealers.
  • n0v8orn0v8or Member Posts: 169
    I sent a response to your email. Your dealer is using a common tactic to avoid a trial and error repair procedure where, if lucky, he will be reimbursed for only half of his technician's time. In his position, I would tend to do the same. I have been through all these same denial routines with my previous vehicle, a Volvo. It if had not been for various Volvo forums, I would have never prevailed in my struggles to get defects fixed. Every problem was "the first time they had ever heard of it", despite 27 others having reported it on forums, and even when the identical problem occurred again some months after they fixed it.

A TSB is simply a piece of "how to repair" ADVICE from the manufacturer. Lack of a TSB does not absolve a dealer of addressing a problem, nor is it mandatory that they follow the TSB to solve a customer issue. The TSB does say "if you do it our way, the repaIr will be successful, and this is how much we will pay you for the job" (usually not enough). Resourceful technicians often develop alternate approaches that are both less labor intensive and more effective than suggested by a TSB.

I have found that showing up at the service counter with 2 dozen donuts at break time is a lot more effective than a protracted argument with the customer service manager. For the benefit of non-USA forum readers . . . donuts are a form of underground currency here in the Northeast US .
  • wynwyn Member Posts: 32
    It means a polish or wax job. I would decline on the chance that the finish might be damaged by careless choice of materials, power equipment, or application.
  • alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    Downside is also that the ride will be harder with a 50 aspect ratio, and a wider tire is likely to cause more noise thru greater pavement surface area contact. I would not go wider than a 225 - the wheel wells are pretty full already! A 235 may even come into contact with the lower extremeties of the rear struts. There is very little clearance in that area.

Further to my post - the ride of my Avalon felt really hard. I could feel every ripple in the pavement. Turned out that it wasn't a hard ride, it was high frequency vibration caused by multiple wheels slightly out of balance, and every pavement variation seemed to be magnified. Anyone out there who feels that their Avalon rides hard - have your wheels balanced using the Hunter 9700 Road Force. You won't believe the difference.
  • n0v8orn0v8or Member Posts: 169
    Awell will not send me a power cord with fuse until I return the one without the fuse and I'm responsible for the return shipping .

I also found Awell's customer service virtually non-existent and their quaility far from exemplary. One of the 4 sensors in my kit caused the beeper to sound continuously, even with no obstruction to the rear. Awell would only replace it if I uninstalled and repacked everything, sent it back at my expense, plus included $20 to cover their shipping and handling of the replacement sensor. It was easier to just buy a new sensor from them for $15 plus first class mail shipping ($3).

In your case, I recommend going to a Radio Shack store and purchasing a #270-1213 sealed inline automotive fuse holder for $2.39. http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=270-1213
    This holder is much better than the one you should have received but diid not.
  • lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    Does your car have the sound shield on it that Gulf States includes in their "add on" group? I drove an XL with no options and I thought it was noisy, but my Limited is very quiet-much more so than my 2000 Avalon XLS. It does have that option called "Vehicle Shield Package" that includes sound shield, lusterizing sealant, sealant cleaner and rental assistance. Maybe that made the difference.
    Under the fender wells of my car feels like a kind of felt type of material. The seats are the only fault I have found and the fact that it doesn't shift as nicely as the 2000.
  • chodiechodie Member Posts: 13
    Along the bottom of the door and mounted to the door sill is a small rubber bumper. This is only on the 2006 Lexus GS 300. Look at the actual car and you will see the rubber bar along the bottom. Makes the car look real sporty and should help with dings. I don't know if it will fit an Avalon, but it looks like it would. thanks, chodie
  • cms1528cms1528 Member Posts: 45
    Checked with my father in law, he has been in the auto paint business for forty years. He said it is a teflon based product that is made by Dupont. Its been around for many years. He suggest to stay away from it. It does put a teflon coating over the service and has some advantages but not enough to get it done.

He said that it blends into the paint finsh in a way that causes nightmare for a bodyshop man who may have to touch up an area that was damaged. Apparently the paint being applied after will just not bond properly causing it to spider web, crack and even peel.

Stick with a water based car wax that has UV additives and apply monthly and the finish will last the life of the car. Paint has come along way in 20 years. His words...
  • branch15_5branch15_5 Member Posts: 44
    I'm getting ready to order my Avalon. I've seen the light gray interior, but haven't been able to see one with ivory.

For those who have it or have seen it, could you describe it? How light is it?

BTW, the exterior will be Blizzard Pearl.

Thanks for the input.
  • blaquebyrdblaquebyrd Member Posts: 11
    I have an 05 Blizzard Pearl XLS with tinted windows. The person who applied my tint said that she wouldn't recommended the bronze tint because the metallic particles could interfere with the navigation system. I wanted the black tint any way but I asked because of the navigation system. I haven't had any problems with the nav or my XM mini antenna which I have mounted inside the front windshield. The black tint on the Blizzard Pearl is very sharp.
  • dcboaterdcboater Member Posts: 16
    Hope this link works:

viking644, "Toyota Avalon 2005+" #6786, 18 Jun 2005 12:59 pm

Just an fyi - I ordered mine in this color combination and waited nearly two months for it --- I AM VERY PLEASED with my choice. The lighter woodgrain on the interior is very attractive in my opinion.

Enjoy !

dcboater
  • branch15_5branch15_5 Member Posts: 44
    Thanks dc -- it is indeed attractive.
  • bahraini_zuprabahraini_zupra Member Posts: 98
    thanks aloot for the pics :D

we need more BLIZZARDS PICS :D
  • squatossquatos Member Posts: 26
    Again Thank You, but although the (TSB) ST002-04 includes the 05 avalon, it only includes those 05s that where built before vin# 4T1BF28B#4U385890. They changed the Front Strut Assembly in the 05s midstream. The first 05s have the same assembly as the 04s. Although they may revise the (TSB), at this time there is no report on the later 05s One good thing is the cramping in my steering hand seems to be not as bad..
  • hoop43hoop43 Member Posts: 11
    Alan --

Point well taken on ride and noise. I believe that the fit would not be a problem though. See message 4591 for reference to 235/45 tires mounted. My first demo ride at dealer was in Ltd with 245/40 tires mounted. I personally liked the ride and especially the handling.

Regards
  • regisregis Member Posts: 94
    When we park our new 06 Avalon on a shopping trip, my wife shops and I stay to guard the car (from dings). Wonder how long that will last?
  • alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    Relax, you can get side moldings here:

http://www.sportwing.com/catalog/index.pcgi

Enjoy the mall. Personally, I'd rather stay and guard the car... ;)
  • ronharvronharv Member Posts: 51
    The silver door over the radio has been difficult to open and close since the car was purchased last April. Sometimes it'd be fine for several days in a row and then regress into its usual stubborn behavior. (It was always perfect at the dealer, naturally.) Finally, it wouldn't open at all. And two days ago (ta daaa!) it wouldn't open at the dealer's, either. That's when I was told, "We've been replacing an awful lot of these. And we just got some of the new doors in with a redesigned latch." The new door has a whole different feel and latches and unlatches perfectly with a satisfying snap. So there's no need to settle for frustration if you've got a radio-door problem.
  • squatossquatos Member Posts: 26
    Wow I thought I was the only one... Thank You for being brave enough to admit it.
  • geoshillgeoshill Member Posts: 27
    Picked up my XLS Blizzard Pearl Sunday and so far have two complaints. There are an awfull lot of buttons and knobs to learn about and the cup holder lid favors my wife. Why? Otherwise I find it to be flawless and wonderful. Very comfortable too.

How can I remember what C D's are in the changer?
  • deaner1deaner1 Member Posts: 6
    I also found another place that has the painted side moldings that can keep your car from getting those dings. They provide instructions on how to install them with a picture and it seems quite easy. The name of the company is Dawn Enterprises and they can be reached @ (800) 548-4867. Their site address is:

http://www.dawn-ent.com/molding/index.html

:)
  • douglas1douglas1 Member Posts: 130
    I have determined that the square window on the back side of the rear view mirror has nothing to do with the rain-sensing wipers. I put a piece of black tape over it and the wipers still come on in the rain. The problem is they come on at the slightest mist and stay on regardless of the intermittent setting.

Dealer doesn't know anything about the wipers other than that they come on when it rains and says there is no adjustment for the. Emailed Toyota and they suggested changing the automatic transmission fluid( go figure that out). Called Toyota and they could only tell me to talk to the dealer. Under current conditions, live in Seattle, they are currently useless in auto function. So my only alternative is to turn them on and off manually - this in a $35,000 car.

Maybe I should try the state Lemon Law and make them buy it back. Am getting frustrated.
  • msavalonmsavalon Member Posts: 49
    Has anyone tried to order an extra smart key for the LTD. I would like to get any extra one just in case I misplace or lose the one I or my husband has. I heard they are $100. Please tell me this is not the case. :confuse:
  • mstemmstem Member Posts: 113
    I took delivery last Saturday of a '06 Avalon Limited, Silver Pine Mica with Ivory interior. I had kind of agonized over both the exterior and interior color choices myself. After hearing some postive reviews of the S-P-M color, I went with it. I WAS going to order the light gray interior but my bride reminded me our other car is a Phantom Gray 4-Runner with the gray leather, and my vehicle before that also had gray leather. So I opted for the Ivory interior... Bearing in mind I have only had the vehicle six days (!) I have to admit I don't regret either choice. And while I like the light green exterior, I REALLY REALLY like the Ivory interior... Go for it! Mike
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    When I enquired some time back about getting three smart keys with the vehicle when it was delivered, they indicated that the extra key would cost ~ $200.
  • lazarouslazarous Member Posts: 28
    For those of you who own Avalon with navigation, is there a downside in having the system? Is't worth it? would you purchase it again? Thanks
  • msavalonmsavalon Member Posts: 49
    I agree the tint on these cars look very good. This link on Toyota's website will show what all colors look like with tint: http://www.toyota.com/avalon/color.html
    I have the Black LTD with 20% tint on the windows. My 20 something children LOVE the car (Of course, I do too)!
  • oranoran Member Posts: 9
    The Michelins (Energy MXM(?) series 8)came with my 2005 Limited and they seem to be good enough tires for the 7 months or so when there's no snow here in northern PA. The Michelin website even gives these same tires high ratings for winter use, though the tread looks like anything but winter tire tread.

Has anyone else from the snowbelt decided on what winter tires to purchase, if at all? We have, foolishly, gone thru a few winters with the standard 'all season' radials in earlier models of cars, but having tried winter tires recently with great success in other cars, I don't know if I want to risk a winter without the best tires.

Any thoughts, reactions?
  • lgigantelgigante Member Posts: 34
    About the window tint with metallic particles. I have checked with several companies and with Toyota. Don't use metallic tints. The radio antenna is in the rear window and the metal will interfere with the AM reception. I made that mistake with my 2001 Chrysler Concorde and it reduced the reception in the AM band dramatically. It shouldn't affect the smart key because that is microwave.
  • riley3riley3 Member Posts: 29
    I got a windshield chip from a gravel truck before my 2005 Ltd had 2000 miles. I had it repaired with the plastic injection process and it seems fine. The repair spot is about the size of a pin head. After the first day I couldn't tell the difference between the repaired spot and a small bug splat. The glass repair person (not a Toyota dealer) said the new Toyota Ltd noise reducing windshield consisted of an additional plastic bead around the glass. He said the glass was the same as the glass in the other models. He also said aftermarket glass windshields were equal in quality to Toyota brand but do not have the Toyota logo in the bottom corner.
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    "Dealer doesn't know anything about the wipers other than that they come on when it rains and says there is no adjustment for the. Emailed Toyota and they suggested changing the automatic transmission fluid( go figure that out"

They either have a sense of humor or they are outright dumb. I would personally suggest you change the blinker fluid and upgrade to synthetic oil.
  • jbramanjbraman Member Posts: 8
    Ordered a 2006, August 10, through a "Leasing" Co. for our business and was told "16 week delivery"; what a suprise to have it delivered this week!

Picked up in Kokomo, IN, about 70 miles from Fort Wayne and had the great pleasure of driving "home".

I have driven Cadillac SLS's (1996, 1999) as my "company car" for the last (8) years and before that Oldsmobile Delta 88's, loaded. My first non "American" car was 4 years ago, Acura MDX for my wife, which was very "tight" and trouble free, great to drive for an SUV.

I researched and drove the new Chrysler 300, Ford 500, Cadillac STS, Chevy Impala, TrailBlazer and the Avalon.

Personally ,I like the body re-design and the build, handling and ride; so far it seems to be a great value for the money, with all the desirable features. I am very impresssed with the quality (the interior is superb and well fit, as is the exterior). Having driven the car 100+ miles, today, the "quiet", ride and accceleration, really stood out and impressed.

Hopefully, the great experience will continue!
  • billygbillyg Member Posts: 29
    I have a 2005 Limited with NAV. I previously owned a 2000 Avalon and how I miss the user friendly 2000's display. It always showed,( in large text), the time, the day, the date, the outside temperature, the MPG. It also simultaneously showed CD info i.e. the disk, the track, all climate control information, etc. The 2006 WITHOUT navigation control seems to come the closest to giving such data.

The problem with the 2005/06 NAV is that the car defaults to the NAV system. When I start the car or activate the accessories, I am presented with a Caution screen which requires me to click on an "I agree" indicator confirming that I accept the safety disclaimer. The system then goes to a Map Screen. I can press a button to get radio or CD information, or I can press a Climate button to see the temperature settings and related information. I can also press similar buttons on the steering wheel to momentarily see those settings, but first, I must get by that *%#* Caution screen. Turn off the ignition and you must deal with the Caution screen all over again.

The system has a memo feature to remind you of selected dates. After going through the Caution routine, you can go to the Information Menu to enter calendar reminders. For example, if I want to be reminded of a birthday, I must enter it over and over again for each future year. You would think that the system would give you the option to automatically carry the reminder forward to future years.
    The NAV system is not user friendly and it should not be the default.

I, for one, seldom use it except as an interesting toy. Use it or not, I must first get by the Caution Screen. Toyota should have designed the system to only require the Caution screen when you need navigation. The system should give you the option to select what information should be displayed when the system boots. The only exception that I know of is the Trip Information screen which shows Consumption of fuel and Cruise speed and distance. If that screen is displayed when you turn off the car, it will be there upon re-start.

Some members have applied a fix to bypass the Caution Screen, which is a help, but it still will not display the Climate or Audio screens when you re-start. You will still have to press buttons. If you never need to use NAV, you will still have to deal with it.

The NAV system and the small trunk are the weak points of the car. :mad:
  • lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    To those interested in the front end mask:

I got my front end mask in today. The box it came in has Toyota on it. The address is Toyota Parts Dept. Amherst, NY. I haven't put it on yet, but it has Toyota stamped on it and it looks to be the same quality as the one I had for my 98 Avalon. I am going in to the dealership tomorrow to get my oil changed and am going to see if they will install it for me and ask the service manager about it. I don't know why he couldn't get a parts number for it. Anyway, when I get it on, I'll let you know what it looks like.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Of course they are! You have a $38k car so why should the key be any cheaper?
    ;)
    Mackabee
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Not necessarily. The paint sealant applied at the dealers comes with a 5 year warranty against acid rain damage among other things. Depending on what region of the country you're in it could save you thousands on a new paint job. I would highly recommend getting it done especially on a dark color car like the Cassis Red pearl, Black, Indigo ink, and Phanthom gray. Our 92 Camry was a deep burgundy called Wineberry pearl. Beautiful color until the acid rain got a hold of it.
    :shades:
    Mackabee
  • douglas1douglas1 Member Posts: 130
    Thanks for the laugh. Reminds me of the chrome reverse muffler bearing from my high school days.

I kept asking the Toyota rep what the design specifications were and she kept saying she didn't know. I said for god sake you designed and built the car and the response was I'm sorry you are having difficulty sir.

I'm certainly beginning to question Toyota as a first class company now.
  • tkaztkaz Member Posts: 69
    I had a Blizzard Pearl LTD on order with Laser Cruise, NAV, VSC and XM radio. Stopped by dealer to check on status. To be delivered next week. But it did not have Laser Cruise. Dealer said you can't order XM radio and Laser Cruise in NY. It's one or the other. I canceled the car since it didn't have Laser Cruise. Is he pulling my leg when he says you can't order both? So now I have to order another LTD and guess I need the dealer to install XM radio?
  • fosman77fosman77 Member Posts: 13
    I was quoted $249 plus $80 to program it.
  • lazarouslazarous Member Posts: 28
    Billyg, I very much appreciate your detail response. Do you happen to know what year in Avalon that Toyota started to use The NAV? Thanks
  • mstemmstem Member Posts: 113
    TKAZ, I suspect your dealer is smoking some bad stuff again... My new Limited has factory-installed XM radio and Laser Cruise. They seem to get along together just fine! Find another dealer... :>)

Mike
  • azhuyckazhuyck Member Posts: 25
    A 235/45/R18 will fit the new Avalon. The only problem is, you must use a 18" rim with +40mm offset. I have these tires on my Avalon 2005. The ride is the same but the steering is more firm as the Tire is wider. Check my pictures. http://groups.msn.com/ToyotaAvalon/2005avalon.msnw?albumlist=2
  • leinadleinad Member Posts: 32
    Guess I best not loose one of smart key fobs if they are THIS EXPENSIVE to replace! Ouch... :mad:
    I also took delivery of a SILVER PINE MICA with IVORY interior 2006 limited avalon, which I really consider more of a taupe color than ivory and absolutely have no doubt in my mind that I made the right choice! I saw the woodgrain trim with the gray leather anterior and it just really CLASHED, so I thought...

congrats!, we both have beautiful cars! :D
    My 2006 limited avalon has navigation (1st time owner for me), and maybe because I dont travel alot, but to me, it is definitely more of a pain in the rear for just around town...an option I wont consider again! definitely not...

But to each his own, and that's what makes the world go around!

I do love the DYNAMIC laser cruise and Vehicle Stability Control though, two options I wouldn't do without!

judi
  • kinzuakinzua Member Posts: 44
    To those interested in the front end mask:

2 Questions;
    Is this a hard plastic mask?
    What is the part number?
  • tomh2tomh2 Member Posts: 8
    Greg, I'm very interested in knowing what model of video camera you used for this install. I've checked the AutoToys site and found several to choose from. Also, I'm not to clear as to where you actually drilled the hole. If possible could you post a picture. My Desert Sand Avy Ltd is due to be "born" on 10/3 and I would like to get all my add ons installed by my dealer. Thanks.

Tom H.