Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC90 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• dimaddimad Member Posts: 5
    I have 2006 XC90 T-5, 9000 Miles, and the car last night drained the battery. I called Volvo On Call to come and jump start it. Scheduled appointment with dealership. Any suggestions what should I tell them (because when I called them the guy sounded like it was my fault)? Anyone having the same problem? Was it fixed and what was done? Thanks
  • jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    My wife once left the car key in the ignition of our 2005 XC90 2.5T. (Engine and power were off, just not pulling the key out.) The battery drained and the car would not start the next morning. Called the Volvo emergency service who sent a service truck within minutes. After jump started the car, the guy said to let the engine run for an hour to recharge the battery, and then go to the dealership for check up. We did just that, but the service department in the dealership did not do anything. They said that as long as the car started with no program and there was no warning or error message in the on-board computer, everything is fine. That was well over a year ago, and the recharging of battery appears to have taken care the problem.
  • lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    You might Incidently put your headlight switch into Parking mode, and have your parking lights on overnight.
    I've done it a couple of times.
  • jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    Yeah, she might have. The service guys said that some kind of electric or electronic stuff would still be on by leaving the car key in the ignition. However, it is hard to imagine whatever that was would drain the battery overnight.
  • mariannebmarianneb Member Posts: 8
    Hi, I'm new here. I just bought a (used) 2004 2.5T FWD XC90 with about 63k miles on it. I had the 60k mile service done on it and it checked out great. It was kept in beautiful condition by the previous owner.
    I've only owned it a week and am wondering about a few small things: I just noticed a humming/chiming/whistling sound when I turn the car on. It is constant. Kind of like a very distant hum that mimics the "door open" chime. Also, I noticed that the air is "always on" and I'm not sure if this is how it is supposed to be. I can always hear the air system even if it's completely off. I didn't notice this the first week or so of driving it but I thought that maybe it was because I always had the music on.
    Another question I have is about the heating system. The air doesn't get "hot" until it is at 86. It is warmish but definitely not hot until cranked all the way to the right hand side. Is this normal? It works, but...not really well.
    I LOVE the car, just want to know about these issues. Thanks! :confuse:
  • zkaudiozkaudio Member Posts: 60
    um... there is a button to turn th AC on and off... it stays on all the time so that the car can maintain whatever temp you set it to automatically... BUT, if you want just the heater, turn the ac off via the AC BUTTON lol... you're heating conditioned air... and killing your mpg a little bit.
    I probably didn't explain it very well--I know where the AC button is, I have it off unless I want to cool the car or am defrosting the windows. The heater, though, doesn't really get hot unless turned all the way to the right.

What is more frustrating is the constant buzz and feeling like the air system is on even when it's not.

Is this just normal for a Volvo? I'm sure the low buzz isn't, as it would drive people nuts! But maybe I need to not worry about the air coming through the vents (when I close the vents I don't get air but can still hear the system).

I took it to the dealer today to deal with a few recall issues and a rear bulb...they'll listen to the air system at the same time.

Thanks.
    I think it was the Parking light.
    My battery was drained in 3-4 hours, when I accidently left the headlight switch in Parking position at Mammoth Ski Resort. I went back from the slope for lunch, and could not get my car going. Had to search for the jumper cable, etc., etc.

I do not believe that anything is on, when you turn your car off, even if you leave the key in the ignition.

Other possibility is the engine cooling fan. It stays on for some time, if engine is hot. And if your battery is already weak, it can drain it out. It has happened to me on my S80 after 3.5 years of service. I just replaced the battery, and everything was OK again. However, there could be a problem with the fan's relay, so I will ask the dealer to check it out.
    Do not listen to this advise!!!

The system is smart enough, so it does not cool and heat at the same time.
    The AC dehumidifies the air coming in. Windows will be de-fogged my faster and stay clear, if you keep the AC on.
    The system actually control the temperature of incoming air, so if the temp. control is set to 72, the incoming air, once desired temperature is reached will stay at 72.

The buzz is not normal, probably something is loose in the dashboard.
    Is it normal to hear the fan on after turning off the car, removing the key from ignition, etc?

Not a big deal but I noticed I could hear it whirring for a few minutes after I turned it off today.

It that is normal, I won't worry about it.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    ya. that's normal. it's drying out the A/C system/vents so that mold won't grow there.
    Thanks, I appreciate your response. I noticed this morning that it didn't do it at all, so I guess it just happens periodically. I think I just have to get used to driving a different car. I had a Toyota Sienna before and it was great for reliability but definitely boring and not NEARLY as much fun to drive! I'm even getting accustomed to the noise that the air system makes. I'm not totally sure it's "normal" but I didn't hear the whistling sound this morning.

Our local dealer doesn't have a great reputation but that is where it is going tomorrow for a burned out bulb and some warranty work. Plus, I'm adding two side panel nets for the rear.

I'm toying with the idea of buying the extended warranty...
    Ok, yet another question! I took the car in to get cargo nets added to the sides and also to have two recall issues addressed and a light bulb replaced. I also asked them to replace the front and rear wipers, which work much better now.

My question is this: at very low levels of speed (under 20 mph) and ONLY when my foot is actually on the gas, I have a really annoying vibration/buzz noise from the right hand side of the car. It kind of sounds like it's coming from the sun shade/roof area. It's very, very annoying. Everyone who has ridden in the car has commented on it.

Any troubleshooting ideas before I take it in to get looked at specifically for this issue? It sometimes happens at higher speeds but mostly at lower speeds.

If it didn't make this noise it truly would be the perfect vehicle!
    m-a, you are most welcome for the replies. if you've got the time, the vehicle's got the warranty to pay for that to be investigated. gotta be something loose up there or nearby.
    thanks...but it has 63k miles so the warranty is expired. I am considering buying an extended warranty for it, though. I absolutely love the car, I just want the rattle to stop~!
  • martyfmartyf Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2004 XC90 2.5T. I have noticied that the mpg drops significantly in cold weather. We had a heat spell for severl days and the mpg went up. Is this cold weather drop normal?
    I found the rattle/vibration that was happening at lower speeds! It's the light/sunroof/mirror console area in the front (on the roof).

The front of the plastic console (the part that faces the rear seats) has a space large enough for me to slide in two credit cards. in other words, it's lost it's seal against the roof. The rest of the console is tightly sealed against the roof.

The way I've solved this for now is by sticking a thin piece of cardboard between the crack. My husband doesn't want to pay Volvo to take it apart (plus he probably rightly thinks that taking it apart, in the long run, will likely exacerbate the core problem).

So I'm wondering--what would you do? I've thought about using crazy glue or something (maybe some kind of car specific glue?) to make it stick tightly to the roof again...

Any thoughts would be appreciated. The cardboard is working for now but my preference is not to keep it "open" like that..I'd like to just get it resealed.

Now that the rattle is gone, though, I absolutely LOVE THIS CAR!
  • buroskyburosky Member Posts: 90
    Just a thought. How about using those silicone sealants that is used for Doors or Windows as caulking? That should seal the gap and keep water from seeping through.
  • magyarxc90magyarxc90 Member Posts: 2
    Hello All, Also posted under XC90 lemon. Purchsed a new XC90 in Feb 2005. 2.5T, FWD. 13,880 miles. On Wed 3-21-07 complete transmission failure. Am currently awaiting new transmission. Volvo NA will only warranty the new transmission for the remainder of the "new car warranty period", which for me is about 2 years. Anyone else have this problem? The service manager cannot help me he was just transferred from FORD and need to get up to speed. Thanks
  • chiefstonerchiefstoner Member Posts: 14
    sorry to hear about your trans. I had a 2004 which needed a new trans at 52k. Volvo will not admit any problems, obviously there is a huge problem. You may cosider an extended warranty, if possible. Volvo national is very unreceptive and places any remedy on the dealers.
  • zeenzeen Member Posts: 401
    You're lucky that you were able to isolate the source of the noise. That's 90% of the battle. I recently owned a GMC Envoy and had the same noise coming from the overhead console. I noticed that by applying pressure to the console, the noise went away. I removed the console, inserted a tennis ball between the metal roof and the roof liner and the sound went away. I turned the car in when the lease expired. Someday, they'll find the tennis ball and will be perplexed. Be creative and experiment.
    I forgot to update the situation! I took the car in to a car stereo installation shop to deal with a non working DVD system (well, not entirely non working but one screen wouldn't turn on and one of the headphones wasn't getting reception).

I mentioned the rattle to them and they took apart the console and tightened some things up and insulated something else...anyway, it's gone now and I am officially 100% thrilled with the car!
  • billyloballbillyloball Member Posts: 6
    I have about 250 miles on a new 2007 XC 90 Sport and just had this message warning light pop up. When I called the dealer for an appointment, the first thing they asked me was whether I had added gas to it. I replied no, it's still on it's first tank. Is this strange? Has anyone else had the Check Engine light come on in a car with such low miles?
  • templeton3templeton3 Member Posts: 69
    Interesting... We bought a new 2004 XC90 T6 AWD and after 52,500 miles, the transmission went out. We had numerous other problems besides that. The Volvo XC90 is a very frustrating car.
  • cx90cx90 Member Posts: 1
    I had a minor accident with my 2006 XC90 where I damaged the right lower control arm and the engine cradle (I think it is aka cross member). They were both replaced. However, now when I reach exactly 40MPH, it gives the sensation as if I was driving a big truck with big tires or as if the RPM went up. It makes a noise when it happens, but I wouldn't know how to call it but to describe the sensation it produces. It stops at 41 MPH and I can feel it again at 60MPH and quits again at 61 MPH. If anybody could give me any feed back, it would be highly appreciated.
  • kienekiene Member Posts: 1
    Same story - My wife & mother-in-law were recently (4-4-2007) traveling home from Charleston SC to Ohio and out of no where GRIND GRIND, there went the transmission. Had to rent a car and leave the Volvo in North Carolina. 56,000 miles and out of warranty apparently.
  • hedhuntr1hedhuntr1 Member Posts: 7
    The car had minor problems that the dealer, Crown Volvo in Chapel Hill, made worse.Then there are problems that still were never fixed. Even though my neighbors that had the same problems reported them, volvo denied they existed as they were intermitent. The volvo corp could care less about their owners and apparently could care less if the dealers fix anything or not. The car was in the shop on average once a month for two years. Some of the problems were never fixed (The locks not unlocking, sometimes, the tailgate rubbing so bad it was bare metal, happens on all other ones, my service advisor showed me others in the shop doing the same thing, and said volvo knows about it, but can't figure it out) Every loaner I had, had problems. Most the transmission wouldn't even stay in drive, and those are dealer maintained! Volvo wouldn't buy it back and the dealer offered me $24k on a trade, This was a $46k car two years ago. They don't even believe in their own vehicles.
    I don't think buying a "luxury" suv should entail these type of hassles. I took a bath on it as no one wants them but at least I got rid of it and won't have to deal with the tranny falling apart. Spending $1000 on tires 12k miles into a new car is ludicrous, same problems as everyone else posts about. If you buy one of these vehicles after reading these posts that's your business but I think it's only fair to others to warn them. I wish I would have read this forum before I bought the piece of junk. I will NEVER buy another volvo product.
    So how do we start a class action?
  • skeeter03skeeter03 Member Posts: 8
    Good morning,
    I am playing catch up and I am new to the site. I had two of the problems occur to me, but I had differnt results. My perilli tires went bad at about 15,500 miles. My dealer replaced them at no cost, they told me that Perilli had a bulletin out about it. It took 2 days but they got them paid for. The other concern was that of a humming type noise. They replaced both left side hubs also under warranty. Unfortunitly, I have nothing but praise for my XC90. :shades:
    I have a 2007 XC90 Sport V8 and noticed that when accelerating from a stop, the engine feels "rough" and I notice a high frequency vibration. This goes away in second gear. Also upon stopping, it feels as if the car performs two slight jerks.

has anyone else experienced this? Or is this normal Volvo behavior?

Thanks.
  • skeeter03skeeter03 Member Posts: 8
    Go to your local dealer and tell them this. Tell them that there is a tech-net note (#40-02) that should fix your problem. If you purchased this after 02/12/07 the dealer should have done this to your vehicle before you got it. I am pretty sure this will resolve your problem
    :shades:
    Thanks skeeter! Is there a way to view the tech note online before going to the dealer? I ask because I just got the car back after week at the dealer to fix a bad oxygen sensor and they apparently didn't perform the fix.
  • wobblybobwobblybob Member Posts: 1
    https://www.volvotechinfo.com/index.cfm

here is a link where you can browse and purchase the tech notes if you want.
  • dick60dick60 Member Posts: 12
    I drove my daughter's new 2007 XC90 last week and was so disappointed with the drivability of the vehicle. She has 5700 miles and has the 3.2 engine. First, the steering is totally numb and has no self centering functionality. I was consistantly fighting to steer the wheel to a neutral position. If I didn't the car would wander dangerously into the next lane. Secondly, the transmission is contantly surging the engine and shifting. It appears to have no torque to keep the car in a selected gear. Third, the little lights that tell you what fan speed and A/C control is on are so small and so faint that in the daytime they are invisible. To think she is spending over $500 a month to lease this defective vehicle blows my mind.

By the way, I drive a BMW 528i and a classic Corvette. But, I just rented a Cobalt on vacation and had a great time with this low end Chevy.
  • roper6roper6 Member Posts: 8
    After eight e-mails to Volvo Service and a letter to Ann Belec at Volvo North America, I was finally offered a free extended warranty on my 04 XC90. My local dealership will absorb the $100.00 deductible. So I figured that was not too bad. This is after eighteen trips to the dealer for problems. One front steering rack, rear differential and four, yes four rear wheel bearings, and other issues too numerous to mention.
    Then I took it in to have the tie rods changed under the last recall, 500 miles later the front tires were shot, OK, they had about 40k on them. Not too shabby, I put on a new set of Continentals, less than 5000 miles later, they are shot. Back to Volvo to have them check alignment, everything is OK they say. Continental replaces the tires fro $120.00. Not too bad I think, now 1500 miles later there is already a noticeable difference in the wear on the front tires. Me thinks it's time to dump this lemon.... :lemon: Anyone else had this many issues?
    nice move with the free extended warranty, roper6. sounds like you handled the situation well. avoid/dump the Conti tires. Try Toyos or Yokos. Or goodyear. sounds like you've gotta have an alignment problem with the vehicle too. we've had no probs with our 2004 xc90. if yours is a lemon, you know it best, trade it if you can afford to. life is too short.
    dick60, you are probably right about the lack of torque causing gear-hunting by the trans. i have the 2.5T xc90 and it torques ok off the line, but aside from that it is slow.
    your daughter's car needs an alignment and maybe a better set of tires. she can get at least one free alignment at the dealership under warranty. i have noticed the same thing about the lights for the AC fan during daylight. i find automatic AC systems rather annoying most of the time.
    when getting an alignment, always insist to see the before/after alignment specs so you can see if anything was really changed.
  • onemarbayonemarbay Member Posts: 1
    Apparently have a leak in the AWD angle joint transfer case..."not a serviceable seal"...$2,300 replacement on a 2004 XC90 with < 60,000 miles. No evidence of a leak where the car is parked. Is anyone else familiar with this? Either I am being ripped off now or I was ripped off when I bought this vehicle.
  • guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    I had this issue while still under warranty. They just changed the seal! Try another dealer!
  • dmedmondsdmedmonds Member Posts: 4
    I purchased the vehicle in January 2003 and was proud to be one of the first owners of an exciting new model. Since that time, I have become increasingly disappointed with the reliability of the car and the amount of work that has been performed on it. Aside from routine maintenance and some more minor repairs, the following
    In the first year of owning the vehicle, the entire audio system needed to be replaced.
    In October of 2004 the front axle needed to be replaced.
    After multiple occurrences of the vehicle failing to start, the battery needed to be replaced.
    I just learned this morning that the vehicle needs a complete new transmission.
    Items 1 and 2 were performed under warranty, but in discussion with my service advisor, I was told this morning that the cost of a new transmission will be $4,472 plus tax. While the cost of a transmission is understandably high, to need a replacement of this magnitude for a car that is only 4 years old is appalling. The vehicle has relatively low mileage of 45,000 and has been well cared for and maintained.

I've totally lost faith in Volvo and don't know what to do.
    amen. Volvo has a big transmission problem and they offer no help after your warranty
    expires. 45k miles is when they fail. Do I hear class action?
  • guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    Are we talking 4 speed (T6) or 5 speed (2.5T) transmission here?
  • jp666jp666 Member Posts: 15
    I am at 42,000 miles on my 2004 XC 90 T6 and getting a bit worried with the comments about the transmission issues.

I am experiencing a creaking noise that seems to be coming from the front passenger area under the dashboard that happens every so often and not constant..sounds like when you walk up old steps....

Has anyone experienced anything like this ?

I have the car scheduled for service on Friday to check it out.
  • xc90sportxc90sport Member Posts: 10
    I just leased a 2007 XC90 Sport. For some reason, my drivers door, front passenger door and even rear passenger door mysteriously pop open while driving. A friend of mine has a 2005 and she mentioned she has the same issue on occassion and the dealer has been unable to fix. I do not have the automatic door locks enabled and regardless of whether the doors are locked are not, they pop open. They don't completely open, just unlatch and then need reclosing. Additionally, my rear passenger doors sometimes after this happens, won't open at all. I have to enable then disable the child proof locks via the switch on the dash then the door can be used. Has anyone else experienced something similar? :confuse:
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    Sounds dangerous. I would leave the car at the dealer, demand a loaner and tell them to call me when it is fixed.
  • rashidirashidi Member Posts: 18
    Short Version;
    Went to indenpendent shop and they filled the steering fluid. I haven't heard the suspension noise for 2 days now!

Long Version;
    Took my XC90 V8 2005 for 30k service at Volvo dealer. Also showed them the consistent groaning noise from suspension at low speeds, especially when pulling into a parking spot.
    They gave the car back with "no problems found" and quote of $600+ for front rotors and pads.
    I took my XC90 to an indepentdent shop across the dealer that specializes in Volvo. I dropped the car off at 12noon and 4pm got a call everything done. Brakes replaced $370 (volvo parts) and suspension noise resolved by filling steering fluid which was below minimum.

I was shocked that the dealer completed my 30k and sent me off with below minimum steering fluid and even more shocked I haven't heard the suspension noise for 2 days! It was really annoying the heck out of me.

Any suggestions for actions against the dealer for doing a 30k service with low steering fluid? At a minimum they are offering to refund the $30.

I still need to spend $900 for 4 tires 30k for new michelins... costco had the best price. Any suggestions for making the dealer pay for the one tire the is bald on the edge, when the other tires still have some life?

Thanks for your comments.
  • kbenkben Member Posts: 2
    My transmission and radiator went on my 2003 XC90, 2 months after the warranty expired. I only have 33,000 miles on it. They what to charge me about $6300, I told them no way was I going to pay for a car that has only 33,000, little over 4 years and I rarely drive the car. No one at Volvo wants to hear it. I was wondering who can I write to at Volvo that would listen and make a wise decision before I take legal action. I paid a ton of money for this car and I was one of the first to buy it in NYC. I now live in NJ but both dealership gave me the same answer, no good will. I told them I will fight this legally since the car has low mileage and is only 4 years and 2 months, any suggestions?

Thanks, Kay
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Legally,you don't have a leg to stand on.
    The Volvo warranty is 4 years OR 50,000 miles whichever comes first.
    Volvo doesn't have to do anything to help you,and threatening them won't move them to do so.
    Now, I am assuming that you serviced the car regularly with your dealer and they have the records.
    IF the car has been properly serviced,you should be able to prevail upon Volvo to pick up part of the cost of repairing your car.
    Now,if the car hasn't been seen by the dealer since it left as a new car,and you have been belligerent,then all bets are off.
    Good Luck.
  • smwls8smwls8 Member Posts: 103
    You guys are scaring me. My wife drives our kids in an 2005 T6 AWD. It currently has 41,000 miles, and has been very reliable. I had hoped by the 2005 model year some of the earlier kinks I have read about here would have been ironed out, but now I'm not so sure. Should I spend $1,900 on an extended warranty thru the dealer before the factory warranty runs out in 9,000 miles? It would take me to June,2010 or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. My father-in-law is driving a 2001 Exploder with 313,000 miles with original transmission,engine,etc. You guys have really got me worried. I read this forum before buying this car, and thought most of the problems were in 03 and 04. Help!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    This is a "repair" discussion so there's not much incentive for owners without problems to make a post in here. ;) Try asking in the Volvo XC90 SUV discussion for more reliability comments.

You may want to check out the Extended Warranties discussion too.