Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo XC90 Maintenance and Repair

1434445464749»

Comments

• jennellejennelle Posts: 6
    Do not buy this car. I bought brand new from the Ontario dealer. I have had one problem after another. Most were minor but annoying since my closest dealer is 1 1/2 hrs away and they don't offer authorized repair anywhere but at a Volvo dealership.

At 500 miles the brand new tire blew and the spare was defective. Stranded in the desert for 4hr waiting for Volvo road side assistance. Got to dealer after 10pm, closed and I was stranded in Ontario. Nightmare.

Took 4 trips to dealer to fix the noise coming from the dashboard.. some kind of baffle problem. I spent all day waiting, got in my car and noice still there. Dealer "O yes, i see here that we didn't have the part...we've ordered part. You'll have to bring it back.." 2nd attempt, spent all day. They didn't have the loaner car i reserved. End of the day, 1/2 way home, noise started AGAIN. Dealer - ... "so sorry, it's hard to tell which baffle is making the noise. Come back and we'll replace the rest of them...." Long story short... 4 trips latter I gave up and now live with the noise.

The GPS system is a joke. Its CD driven, so in just 1yr it was completely out of date. And the charge a ridiculous amt to get and updated CD. I could buy a Tom_Tom for less than the cost of an updated CD. I live in growing area of S. CA. None of the new roads are recognized by the Volvo GPS. It's like having a 6yr old Thomas Guide

Next, just a miles beyond my sched. maintenance... (driving to dealership is over 100 miles) and they would not honor the warranty... I had to pay

Now at just 60,000 miles the transmission and drive shaft have to be replaced to the tune of $5000+. If the dealer does the repairs is $8000 . And Volvo won't help one bit.

Talking to my local mechanic and reading the blogs the Volvo SUV have had a lot of major mechanical problems.

Do your research... do not buy a Volvo SUV you will be sorry.
  • pj2521pj2521 Posts: 2
    I just bought a new 2013 XC90. There is a strong vibration from the steering wheel when the car in idle. For example, when in "D" or "R" with brake, or when the car in "P". I bought the car back to the dealership. They said this is normal. Is it? Anyone have the same experience? Thanks.
  • mootodmootod Posts: 1
    Hi,

I am a Japanese living and working in Bangkok, Thailand for 10 years.
    Now I have a plan to buy a used XC90, and choices are T6 or 2.5T.
    Most of used XC90 in Thailand are model 2003 or 2004, but mileage are not shown on website. I guess most of them are more than 75k miles.

As I read comments and reviews in this site, T6 owners have negative reviews much more than 2.5T owners. So now I understand I should choose 2.5T to avoid any major problems.

So I would like to ask experienced owners;
    "Which do you say T6 or 2.5T if you can get back to the time when you bought your XC90?"

Here is answer template
    Model : T6 or 2.5T
    Reason :

Thanks,
    Kazu
  • sundance6sundance6 Posts: 6
    Kazu-
    I had a 2003 T6 for 100k miles. Everything from 2 transmission to, all wheel drive to the dash boards failed.
    The car is gorgeous and drives like a dream but cost me tens of thousands of dollars to maintain it. I'm sure that the other models are better but I suggest you stay away from the 2003 T6.

I now drive a Hybrid Highlander with no issues other than a seat that is much more uncomfortabe than the volvo.

Good luck and I hop eyou get a chance to hear my neighbor in concert, guitarist, Tomo Fujita.
  • shepgshepg Posts: 1
    Stop me if you've heard this one, but I was just told by our mechanic that the ETM on our 2003 XC90T is the cause of the stalling & uneven acceleration we've experienced lately. And that it's a common problem, the solution of which may or may not be covered by Volvo, since it's a $600 part plus $400 labor plus diagnostics. Does Volvo replace these free?
  • Everytime I bring one of my Volvo's to the dealer, they really sell me hard on getting a radiator and flush and fill. Are these ever necessary or are they just trying to get more money during my service visit?
  • Does anybody believe in getting wheel alignments as part of our preventative maintenance, i.e., even if you aren't experiencing problems with the car pulling?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,009
    Sounds like your dealer is in heavy profit mode.

Confessions From the Dealership Service Department

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• We have a 2007 XC90 and there is some issue where the car locks itself. It happens when the key is not in the ignition. I'll get out of the car and without pushing anything on the key fab it will lock. Then it will not unlock unless you hit lock, then unlock.

It happens all the time....Sometimes 30 minutes to an hour after getting out of the car and parking it in our garage. We rarely lock the car in our garage but we almost always find it locked.

Some observations....

- Seems to happen more often in the cold
    - Seems to be an issue with the car (educated guess) and not the key as it locks itself even when the key is completely out of range
  • Thanks in Advance to anyone that can add any thoughts or guesses....I have had a Volvo "expert" look at it and he has not been able to determine what is causing it.

Anybody have any ideas on how to test or narrow down the issue?

Thanks!
  • sc0422sc0422 Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a new 2013 xc90 two months ago. I have the exact same problem as you. I've complained to the dealership this issue and they said it is normal. I'm going to back to the volvo service shop next week so please share your experience with me if you fix the problem. Thank you.
  • dtoordtoor Posts: 1
    I recently had the 105,000 service done with timing belt replacement at the dealer for my 2004 xc90 t6. Within 30 minutes the coolant low light came on and I returned it to the dealer. Dealer told me it was due to crack in radiator which seems suspicious to me as there was no problem before taking to dealer. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • Question: Is it necessary to replace the timing chain at 120,000 k on a 2006 XC 90 as my service advisor recommends ?