Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Who can compete with Toyota/Lexus Hybrids?

13»

Comments

• crimsono2crimsono2 Member Posts: 31
    "Phil Martens, Ford's group vice president of product creation, said it was necessary for Ford to develop its own hybrid system because it needed hybrid expertise to build even more advanced vehicles in the future, such as hydrogen-powered fuel cell cars.

While the company considered buying a hybrid system from Toyota, "we didn't want to avoid the process of learning about this technology,"

Somebody remind the guy that they *are* using Toyota's 1st gen hybrid system as their model for 'developing'? I hope Toyota makes an HSD RAV4 just to Toy with them...
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    LOL!

I think there is a difference in modeling your engine design after another, and just plain plunking it under the hood. After all, Ford (or maybe Mazda) did have to come up with the 4 cyl that accompanies it.
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    one hardly expects to see a hybrid version.
    Sure is easy to develop when you've already got a working, tried and tested model.
    Where'd you hear news of that? Wow, I was actually beginning to like the little Ute R' Us...;p
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    Edmunds for a while. Believe the more popular Highlander left it as a vehicle without a market.
    There's a rumor that Toyota will be replacing the RAV4 with a more truckish-looking concept that was shown a few months back. It had a futuristic Wrangler/Samurai look to it. I don't think it's been confirmed.

Toyota is expected the release a hybrid Highlander sometime in the near future. That vehicle isn't really that much different than the Escape. Also, Saturn is supposed to have a hybrid VUE sometime next year. Haven't heard much about it recently, though.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    I think the winner of this race will be the first one to market with a hybrid Diesel. People talk 'hybrid' and 'Diesel' as though they are mutually exclusive. One is an electrical assist; the other is a kind of fuel. You can have both under the hood.
  • 300eguy05300eguy05 Member Posts: 39
    Hello to all. I am hearing a lot about this Hybrid stuff coming from the Japanese. Namely, Toyota. I don't see what is so speacial about thier hybrid compared to others, like Honda. Am I wrong in saying that? I am very uneducated on Hybrids so I guess I could be wrong.

A Diesel Hybrid would be great.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    delayed due to problems interfacing electronics between multiple suppliers - story in automotive news this week states they will be in production July 2004. This IS the Toyota hybrid system, but Ford will use its own engines and controllers - seems like RX400H might actually beat it to market, and the hybrid HL may not come after it by much either.

Toyota has been going back and forth as to just what it will do with the RAV after 2006. It seems inevitable that the HL will have to grow to compete properly with Pilot and the like. It also does not seem likely that Toyota will leave all its cute ute sales (quite substantial) in the hands of the new FJ, which is a two-door BOF trucklet. And now that it uses the same engine as the Camry, maybe it would not even be tht difficult to offer a hybrid RAV after they get the hybrid Camry rolling...

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    Toyota Prius sales in 2 weeks of October: 4,000+! This easily beats their previous record MONTH (not 2 weeks) by 1,500 units!

The 2004 model has already outsold the Insight FOR THE YEAR!

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

drfill
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    I read somewhere that Toyota wanted to add 2 more SUVs to its lineup, one of them being something smaller than the RAV4.
    think of the RAV whenever they think of cute-utes - it has serious brand cachet. It would be short-sighted for them to throw that away. better for them to reduce its size if an even smaller ute is what they want.

And it really should be the next Toyota to get a hybrid powertrain after HL. Sienna and Camry are supposed to be next after that, but both get better mileage than RAV AWD, and it is a smaller vehicle!

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Toyota sells 40,000, 50,000 Prius in 2004? What will other makers do in response?

drfill
    will speed up their hybrid introductions...and Ford will announce another six month delay in the public intro of the Escape HEV.

At the current pace, it looks to be an issue of "when", not "if".

I think the other companies will let fly with a hearty "dangnabbit" and then continue as they have been. It's not like they haven't been trying. They just started too late.
  • vetpathologistvetpathologist Member Posts: 30
    Does anybody know when the Lexus hybrid is supposed to go on sale in the US?
    Any other luxury cars with hybrid engines?
    Rx400H is coming November 2004. It may have 350-400HP! At least two electric engines work with a 200Hp gas V6.

So Ford still has time to get the Escape out first. The way things are going though, Ford may just be blowing hot air about a true hybrid. They need 'Yota tech/parts anyway.

Any Nissan Hybrid will use 'Yota's system.

drfill
    Got 'em stumped again!

drfill
  • jbp3jbp3 Member Posts: 2
    I am new to the board and have enjoyed reading the very literate posts. I am considering a new Prius in the near future. About 3 years ago I read a very small article in the paper stating that Ford, GM and Chrysler formed a consortium to develop Hybrid technology. They received 280 million dollars of our tax money from the Feds. to do so. All we have seen is Chrysler's street legal golf carts. No manufacturer has the reputation for reliability, longevity and low cost of ownership that Toyota and Honda have earned. The Europeans have well designed vehicles but you have to have a triple digit income to repair and maintain them once they are out of warranty. If the Koreans are still around in 7 or 8 years I might have a change of heart about there quality. I just sold my 1990 Toyota Ecab about 2 years ago and it had 463000 miles on it. Other than timing belts, brakes, tune ups and oil changes it did not cost me any other money. The person that bought it is very happy with the truck. My 3/4 Ford is to costly to drive so my daily driver is my 1988 Honda Accord with close to 200,000 miles. Can anybody compete with Toyota? I don't think so.
    John
This discussion has been closed.