Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Most reliable year 4wd Chevy 1/2 ton pickup ??(from owners/mech experience)

dhangebrdhangebr Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
I am looking to buy a 4x4 pickup thats a good daily driver and yet will allow me to tool down the beach when I need to. I am after reliability. I have read some horror storys on here about problems with new trucks. I would consider buying from say early 90s to 99 or so. (got a budget)I have to say I have seen a lot of complaints about the 99 which I like the look of and its room inside.

1)Does anyone know of a year model plagued with less or less serious problems than most?

2)Has anyone had a positive truck experience with a 90s model truck. Racked some miles up, used the 4 wheel drive and just had fun and not found themselves waiting to get there truck back from the dealer?

Comments

• jdonahue3jdonahue3 Member Posts: 1
    MY BEAST IS ALMOST 8 , AND HAS 177000 ON HER AND ALL SHE EVER NEEDED WAS GAS !!!! LOVE IT.
  • stanwictstanwict Member Posts: 60
    I've got a 1999 Silverado Z71 4x4 LS short cab and short bed w/ the 5.3L and it's been virtually problem free. I pull a boat in the summer and snowmobiles in the winter. It's pretty much my wifes daily driver.

Had to do rear breaks at 60K still on the original fronts. Only real problem that I've had was one of my universals needed to be replaced about 2 mo ago. Either going to keep it until it drops or get that new 1/2 ton 1500 crew cab when it's out.

BTW: with the 5.3L and 410 posi rear end you will leave a lot of Mustang/Civic/Cameros/etc in the dust.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    V6 Mustangs?
  • blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    If you find what is in your price range, it may be quite used up. Unless you find someone who trades up to new trucks just to do it, used 4x4 are just that used and used up. As for a specific year, if you find something that is in good shape without the owners troubles coming with it, then step up to the plate and go for it. Unless you are really lucky I wouldn't wait around thinking something better might come along. Personally I don't like the brakes on the earlier (90-up classic style)so when GM changed to 4 Wheel Disc I waited a year to have them get the buggs out of a new model and bit the bullet on a new one in mid 2000. And I ordered it too. All my other Chevy trucks lasted me 13 - 15 years, so this one seems like it will as well. Guess I got lucky and got a good one. Hope this helps
    matthew
  • keith24keith24 Member Posts: 93
    that I've done to mine (1997 1/2 ton 4wd reg cab) is a new A/C compressor, and the dreaded fuel pump. I've been told by more than a few people that, if you've got this year model range truck (1988-1998), and you have 100,000+ miles on it, just be prepared to put in a new fuel pump. Other than that, I can't complain.

I haven't had any transmission trouble. Yet......................
  • ndancendance Member Posts: 323
    ...and mind you, you get what you pay for.

I'm thinking about the same thing lately (wouldn't mind a truck, actually *need* 4wd where I live) and was considering the diffent possibilities...maybe a Tacoma (it blows me away how darned expensive used ones are)...maybe a Silverado (hard to find shortbed / reg. cab ones...super hard to find manual trans).

A couple of years ago, a good friend of mine bought a used 1999 extendo-cab, Z71 Silverado. Luckily the thing came with an extended warranty as it chomped thru ***almost $11K in warranty repairs***. ABS pump / trans failure / two (2!) new cd players / etc. etc.

YMMV of course, but jeez...it's kind of tough for me since I have a healthy bunch of that brand loyalty nonsense still running through my veins...all based on owning (mostly) 30 year old cars...but that particular truck sort of scared me off.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    The '39-'41s weren't bad.
This discussion has been closed.