Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti M35/M45 2006+

Comments

• edspider1edspider1 Member Posts: 195
    I noticed in my friend's new RL his voice command feature is as good as in the M, but there was one little detail that I really liked. On the M when you push the button, you have to wait for it to say "Please speak command". On the RL, you just hear a tone. After getting comfortable with the M's syntax, I'm getting impatient waiting for it finish "Please speak command" before I can speak my command. I wish there was away to kill that prompt.
  • sjcbillsjcbill Member Posts: 82
    I agree that it was probably good that the airbags did not deploy in your case. I witnessed an accident a couple of years back where a Mustang tee-boned a Lexus on the drivers side at low speed. The Lexus driver's only injuries were from the steering wheel airbag which deployed unnecessarily, at least in my opinion. There were no side bags. The driver was wearing long sleeves but the airbag blew his leather strap watch off and he had a lacerated wrist.
  • mexibecmexibec Member Posts: 114
    There's only one thing to do for this: call Infiniti and complain about it. With enough complaints, they will update their software (because that's it is) and upgrade our cars with it. I know, I'm a software engineer. I've already complained that the tranny upshifts too early (it's all firmware - low-level software). Ditto for those who complain about the doors that don't lock automatically when the cars starts to move, that the CD continues to play (albeit mute) on a phone call via Bluetooth, etc, etc. We got production version 1 of all this software, so let's speak out loud to get these guys to give us version 2. That'll just make a better car.
  • varixvarix Member Posts: 72
    I was driving my m35x (prem. opt) on I-88 between Iowa and Chicago late last night when I drove into an area of construction that was down to one lane. The lane was lined on both sides by those large reflective "trash can" pylons every 60 feet or so and the construction went on for about 18 miles. About 1/3 of the way in the intelligent cruise cut out and when I tried to reset it I heard a tone and both the std cruise and smart cruise lights were illuminated on the dash. It would not allow me to set the cruise again. It happened twice in 2 different areas. I was only able to reset the cruise by stopping and turning off the car. Has this happened to anyone else? Is it some kind of safety feature assuming the laser was reading the pylons? Why wouldn't it let me use the std cruise then? Thanks for any input. BTW this has never happened prior to this.
  • danjirodanjiro Member Posts: 1
    I was really trying to decide to go with the RL or the M35X. I went with the M and love most of it. Deffinately more fun but the nav is better on the RL. Has anyone felt the gas peddle is stiff on this car. Mine sometimes seems to stick and is heavier to push or keep constant. Has anyone put some really decent wheels on the car.

DANJIRO
  • pete_l_ppete_l_p Member Posts: 322
    I've heard a lot of discussion on nav from people who have actually owned both an M and an RL (or a comparable Acura nav). While there are things about voice command that some preferred on the RL, most of the posts I've read gave the nod to the M's NAV overall. Among the comments: "The M's large screen and variety of display formatting make it easier to get where you're going"

My opinion: the M's NAV is, by far, the best I've ever seen.

Pete
  • blov8rblov8r Member Posts: 567
    I'll live with the bad mpg and small tank.

Yes, that's a bit annoying, just a bit. I can make it to San Diego in my wife's GX470 on one tank but in my M it's nip and tuck. With respect to highway manners, no contest ... M's light years better. Bart :shades:
  • ewl88ewl88 Member Posts: 76
    A downside of trying to rebuild the M: takes a while to get the parts and the parts are $$$. Estimate on rebuilding my damaged M35x ~$10K and a month of rebuild. That's for the headlight, drivers side of the car, fender, radiator repair. As far as I know the electronics of my car are intact. The insurance company is not balking at paying for it so far. (Maybe because they're going after the other driver who was ticketed)
    Getting to know my rental car (dodge stratus) all too well. Wince. Loud, unrefined, slow, and hard plastic all over. Only small grace esp now is the rental car has relatively good fuel economy compared to the M. I'm going to have a party when I get my M35x back.
  • undecided7undecided7 Member Posts: 92
    While driving toward downtown Chicago today on 294 from the northwest suburbs, I had a guy in a Mercedes C-230 (black on black) going in and out of lanes behind me trying to catch up to me just to get a look at my car. Once he eventually caught up to me, he practically extended his neck a few feet from his shoulders to gawk at my M35x (black on black) and he couldn't stop staring at it!!! What made it even more fun was that I just waxed it this weekend so it was looking especially clean and stealthy. Once he got a good look I punched it again and left him in the dust, oh how fun this was to see him in my rear view mirror fading fast. I felt like a teenager, but it was fun!

Where is a camera when you really need it just to capture the deep stare I got from this Mercedes owner.
  • camelzizoucamelzizou Member Posts: 14
    that is a great story... because the M is so rare (given its a beautiful car) I believe that right now this car is almost exotic...Today i'm gonna wash and polish my M45 and then go for a night on the town.. there is this polish called liquid glass andit is the best polish on the market right now... it is always in demand and retailers are having trouble keeping up with the demand... M owners, I suggest you try it out on your car... OMG, you will be all smiles when you finish polishing it. That's a promise.

P.S. there are like 4 Infiniti M's where I live, and every time I ride around, I get the " 180 degree head rotation" from the pedestrians and college students walking around. I love it, this car makes me feel like a million bucks.

Brian
    Can you buy the liquid glass in retail stores? Have you heard of P21S or some such product? I am considering buying this product, but I am a little leary of anything that is only sold via internet. A little less leary though since so many people have raved about it on this forum. I used Meguiar's carnuba and the call just looks great with this product.

I also agree with your comments on the 'exoticness' of the car. The longer I own this car the more and more I fall in love with it. Even standing still this car just looks like it's ready to rock!!!
    WIth regards to the liquid glass, yes it is sold in retail stores. I bought mine at an Autozone that is near me. You may have a hard time finding the polish because the demand for it is crazy (at least in my area). Every store that i've called in regards to the polish says that it has ran out and is waiting for another shipment. If you can get your hands on it you'll love it. I just put it on my M less than an hour ago and when you run your fingers over the car it literally feels like slick glass. Its terrific and really brings out the paint. :)

Anyways after washing and polishing my M for 2 hours I'm ready to hit the streets and make some heads turn! :shades: have a great weekend M owners.
  • paul35paul35 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

Very interested in M35 but don't want to overspend on option packages. Would love some thoughts on whether folks consider any/all worth the additional spend.

1) Sport package -- I prefer the aesthetics of sport (aluminum interior and bigger wheels), but any comments on the ride? I'll mostly be commuting -- probably prefer the smoother ride. Can you get aluminum/19" wheels as separate options without getting sport? Any comments on sport v standard suspension?

2) Journey and technology packages -- I primarily want the nav system. Is there any downside to buying nav as a standalone, and maybe an aftermarket stereo -- are there critical goodies i'd miss out on? What do folks consider most valuable in the journey/tech packages that make it worth spending $7k for these rather than $2k for nav system only.

Thanks so much!!!

Paul
    I had a guy in a Mercedes C-230 (black on black) going in and out of lanes behind me trying to catch up to me just to get a look at my car. Once he eventually caught up to me, he practically extended his neck a few feet from his shoulders to gawk at my M35x (black on black) and he couldn't stop staring at it!!!

With that C230 he might have ogled a Yugo! He could have had the G35 and been a happier camper than he is right now. LOL
    Very interested in M35 but don't want to overspend on option packages. Would love some thoughts on whether folks consider any/all worth the additional spend.

Hi, Paul. I do the same kind of driving you do ... have sport, journey, tech, aero, in an M35. On harsh roads you'll get a little road noise, but overall the ride and handling are superb. I believe the aero adds to the appearance, and the tech package rounds out a great car that's fun to drive day in an day out. Irrespective of what you do you won't regret it ... but if you enjoy "driving" v. "riding/cruising" I'd recommend the sport package. The aesthetics are also very appealing.

Overall, I'm not a great fan of after-market stuff. Keep the warranty coverage simple.

Bart
  • jeff721jeff721 Member Posts: 80
    Can you buy the liquid glass in retail stores? Have you heard of P21S or some such product? I am considering buying this product, but I am a little leary of anything that is only sold via internet. A little less leary though since so many people have raved about it on this forum. I used Meguiar's carnuba and the call just looks great with this product.

I also agree with your comments on the 'exoticness' of the car. The longer I own this car the more and more I fall in love with it. Even standing still this car just looks like it's ready to rock!!!

I have used the Liquid Glass sealant and P21S carnuba wax products. I used the Liquid Glass on my M3 (Alpine White) and what I noticed was this:

Easy on
    Easy off
    Good protection frm elements
    Graying of the paint after 1 1/2-2 months
    This "graying" was not permenant and could be removed with Liquid Glass pre cleaner. The graying was moe like off white.

I switched to the P21S carnuba wax and I found:
    Easy off
    Easy On
    Good protection from the elements
    Water beads up amazing and runns off the hood when parked in the driveway.
    Lasts 3 months so far on my M with good protection from stains droppngs and tar.

I will stick with the P21S for now.
    This "graying" was not permenant and could be removed with Liquid Glass pre cleaner. The graying was moe like off white.

You had graying with your car? Are you sure that you removed all the polish on it? I have used this stuff for a while now and I haven't seen anything like that on my car, and my last car was very dark so I would have noticed something like that. Thanks for the input, it was a good comparison.

Brian.
  • m35sportm35sport Member Posts: 5
    Paul,

I've had the M35 sport with Journey package and Nav system for about a month now. The ride is smooth on maintained roads. Where there is construction or potholes, expect to feel them. As far as the suspension, I'm under the impression that there is no difference between the regular and sport packages.

I opted against the Tech package since the contents (Intelligent Cruise Control, Bose® Studio Surround™ sound system, Lane Departure Warning (LDW) system, XM satellite radio) were not all that useful to my needs and would add another $2200 (MSRP) to the cost.

I'm not disappointed with the Journey sport and Nav. Good luck!

JJ
    I opted against the Tech package since the contents (Intelligent Cruise Control, Bose® Studio Surround™ sound system, Lane Departure Warning (LDW) system, XM satellite radio) were not all that useful to my needs and would add another $2200 (MSRP) to the cost.

Well stated. I could live without them (Tech) easily enough, but I wasn't willing to wait three months to save the few bucks on my lease payments. I never use the LDW, find the ICC a nice gimmick on the highway but drive so little on the highway that I can live easily without it, etc. The premium sound is a +/- to me ... but again, from time to time I do enjoy it.

Bart
  • dave328dave328 Member Posts: 30
    Paul,

I hav a M45 with Journey and Nav. The options are just right for me. I thought the extras on the tech were fairly superflous for me. However, if there is one regret, it is the sport package. I would have gotten it. When I drove the non-sport version, I thought it had the perfect combo of ride, handling and quietness. But I don't really like the appearance of the non sport wheels. Whenever I see a sport driving by, I have a pang of regret. I would have gotten the sport for the wheels alone. If I could get the non-sport with the sport wheels, I'd have done it in a heart beat.

Otherwise, the car is perfect.

Dave
  • mexibecmexibec Member Posts: 114
    Consider aftermarket wheels (cheap relative to the price of the car). I personally don't like the stock sport wheels (I bought base with chrome wheels), but I saw an M35 with some aftermarket wheels and it made the car look 10 times sportier.
  • varixvarix Member Posts: 72
    My 11 year old nephew got in my M35x for the first time yesterday and promptly told me that with all the tech stuff and gadgets that it seemed like one of James Bond's cars. I loved the comment since as a kid I adored JB's Aston Martin and would have killed for it. Sans the missiles, machine guns and ejector seat it is kinda like JB's car particularly the nav system, TV screen, silver color and scores of buttons. I have the premium package and being a gadgeteer I love all the stuff like LDW and smart cruise. It'd be fun to have the sport pkg and the tires are nice but on an icy and snowy day in Chicago those non-sport wheels on my AWD car will look really nice on the road instead of in a ditch. I had a RWD Supra and it was an absolute nightmare in the snow. I'll be interested in hearing how the Sport model fairs this winter in snowy north lands as they're predicting records snow fall this year! I can't wait for it!
  • edspider1edspider1 Member Posts: 195
    I used P21S and loved it. It doesn't leave white residue and comes off reasonably easily. Don't be afraid to get it over the internet. I haven't used liquid glass.
    Is there a more preferred/reliable website that sells this or are they all fairly reliable?
  • zidecarzidecar Member Posts: 49
    I went through the same deliberations when we purchased our M35x. Sport package was not an option for us - I wanted the 4WD capability for reliable traction in winter. If your doing mostly commuting it would seem to me that there will be less opportunity to really exercise the sport option on a regular basis. That's logic speaking and not emotion, however... :D

As for the option packages - I went for the Journey with the Nav system. I couldn't justify the other features in the Tech package and so far I have no regrets. If I had my druthers, I would have liked to see Inifiniti offer the 5.1 stereo upgrade also as a stand alone option.
  • paul35paul35 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the much-appreciated advice on M35 packages. Very helpful in thinking through the tradeoffs.

At this point I'm leaning towards Sport + Journey + Nav, but not full tech package. Will let you know when the dealin's done.

Paul
  • kfhmailkfhmail Member Posts: 199
    I like having a full size spare but I would prefer not to lose the space in the trunk...so...what do you think about this.

Go ahead and get the full size spare but do not store it in the trunk (keep it in the garage). Get a space saver to keep in the trunk. The option price for the full size spare is $300...so..$300 for a "spare" wheel and a "spare" tire sounds relatively cheap. If you were to accidently damage/ scratch a wheel, you would already have one. I do not believe you could by a new tire and wheel for anywhere close to $300.

Has anyone priced purchasing a space saver as an "extra" item?

Any comments pro or con??????
    A spare is a spare. When "S" happens, you'll need something round to get you from point "A" to point "B" to be resurrected. If the full size spare is in the garage, of what value is it? As useless as ants, roaches, maggots and fruit flies. Bart
  • oman9oman9 Member Posts: 97
    I think you're missing his point Bart. He'd have the space saver spare in his trunk AND the full size wheel/tire combo in his garage in case he damaged a wheel. So when S happens on the road, he throws on the space saver. When bigger S happens to a wheel, he's got one in inventory in his garage...at a relatively cheap price. He's essentially looking to buy insurance is how I see it and have more room in his trunk all along the way.
    I think you're missing his point Bart.

Very possibly. However, if he's prone to taking the car on long highway trips the limitations imposed by a space-saver tire would make it an immense inconvenience (speed, distance to travel, etc). If everything's relatively local, or if he's willing to swap the spares before heading to the highway, it can work. I have a full-size spare in my Sport and have remarkably good trunk capacity ... I would never consider having a space-saver. In any car. That's just me. Bart :shades:
  • sjcbillsjcbill Member Posts: 82
    But it's really $300 plus whatever you have to pay for the space saver tire and wheel, you aren't going to get both with the car. Also, the car will come with the smaller trunk if you order the full size spare. I don't know if the trunk can easily be "restored" to full size or not.
    Exactly, or said differntly, the capacity of your trunk will be driven by what type of spare you order (as in size of the cavity to store the spare will be different based on the spare and this will not change) irregardless of the type of spare you store in it.
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    I don't know if the trunk can easily be "restored" to full size or not.

I believe that it can, but I would have to double check. The FSS uses styrofoam inserts to raise the floor to the hight of the FSS. They are 4" tall; so the trunk space lost is a uniform 4" of depth.
    Good point, but if you were going to get the full size anyway, then the "only' additional cost would be for the space saver. Anyone know how much you could get a space saver spare for???
    Yes blov8r missed my point.

I stated in my message that I would have the space saver in the trunk and the full size at home. Thank you oman9...you fully understood what I said. And...that was my point at $300 it is relatively cheap!!! (You could not buy a OEM replacement tire and wheel for $300).

I had not thought about whether or not you could adjust the trunk space based on whichever spare you carried. If someone finds out, please let me know. I will also check out the trunk with both size spares next time to see if there is enough difference to me to matter.

Thanks for everyone's input.
  • don28don28 Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2006 M45 Sport. The brakes are entirely too sensitive. They grab and actually jerk the car. There is no smooth way to apply the brakes. The service departments tell me this a know item for the M models and nothing can be done. The service tech admited he almost went through the windshield when he first braked, but that it just takes some getting used to. Almost all passengers notice the jerky braking. Smooth city driving is impossible. I have 3600 miles on the car and would consider getting rid of it, just because of that one item. Everything else is fantastic. It is really frustrating.
    Anybody else notice this?
  • lincj1lincj1 Member Posts: 14
    I have an M45 Sport. No problem with brakes.
    I think I am going to have to try different dealer or demand a district service rep
    I have an M45 Premium (non-sport), and I can't believe how great the brakes are. I have this enormous stopping power and it never jerks in the slightest. I was driving along a back roads hwy at about 35mph, when someone pulled onto the road (from an intersection) dead in front of me. I stopped on a dime and absolutely smoothly. Everyone in the car immediately said in unison: "wow, great brakes"

Of course, it's possible that your breaks are fine, but just not compatible with your style. Perhaps you should try a couple of demo cars to get an A/B comparison.

Pete
    I also have a Sport, and agree, the brakes are "touchy" ... but I like them. Took a couple of days to adjust, but since then I haven't given them a second thought (until now). There's a slight tendendency to grab when I stop in my gravel driveway, but otherwise no problem. If you can't get accustomed to them after a reasonable time it would seem logical that there's something wrong with the system itself.

My dealer had a demo rear-ended to the tune of 15 grand when a test driver tested the brakes and stopped unexpectedly quickly. Bart
  • purplem46purplem46 Member Posts: 54
    I've heard that complaint before, but many times (not implying in your case) it is from someone that is used to driving a much different braking system. M45 Sport has some massive breaks which compliment a car well that accelerates as this one does. It has tested very well in stopping distance in car comparisons this year. You should be able to modulate with a light touch without producing any jerky motions, if you can't, you need to have them look at it again.

James Healey made a telling statement in his review of the Lexus GS where some also felt brakes were touchy. Check his section on "Brakes" at this URL

link title
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    I have an M35 Sport and also have absolutely no problem(s) with the brakes (not breaks) and their feel.
  • dxcoquidxcoqui Member Posts: 25
    They did it again... They removed the search inventory link... :mad:
    I wonder if it could even be just the brake pads or something. Anyone have any ideas on how to get Infinity's attention?
  • 540dude540dude Member Posts: 38
    The M45 Sport that I test drove the other day also had brakes that were on the touchy side when I was manuevering the car in the parking lot. Nothing that I couldn't get used to though. By contrast, my 2003 BMW 540i Sport has much smoother brakes but the gas pedal is more than an on/off switch. If you hit it even just a little bit, the car jerks forward. Of course, I am used to it now and can modulate it. I am sure that I could acclimate to the M45 Sport's touchy brakes.

In any event, the M45 Sport's stopping distances in comparison tests of braking performance are outstanding. The thing stops on a dime.
  • bw45sportbw45sport Member Posts: 151
    I own an M45 Sport as well and love the brakes. They do an amazing job of bringing a very heavy car to a stop in short distances time after time with no fade.

This doesn't matter, of course, if you put your head through the windshield every time you attempt a stop. I have not experienced the problem you describe and find the brake pedal very easy to modulate. Unlike some other models there is very little travel before the brakes engage so if you don't ease into the pedal the brakes will grab very quickly. I much prefer this to a lot of travel though or the "dead" feel you get with some brakes. I had the "pleasure" of driving a Ford Explorer recently and almost started laughing when extreme variances in pressure on the brake pedal produced no noticeable difference in braking power.

As one other poster mentioned, take a drive in another M and see if you experience the same problem. If you do, it just may be a case of the M not being the car for you.

If you have time while you're there, test drive a G Coupe. If you think the M's brakes are "touchy" you'll likely launch yourself when braking in the G. The G too can be modulated but I've never driven a car that gets into stop quick mode as quickly as the G.
  • mlzcarmlzcar Member Posts: 2
    I own a M35X with the adaptive front lighting system(AFS). I have noticed that a number of M35 owners on this forum have experienced the same problem I have: the factory specs for the lights aim the lights far too low for nighttime driving. I read the forum advice regarding how to adjust the lights but apparently that advice (turning a screw located under the hood) does not work with the AFS. According to my dealer, the AFS will auto-adjust the lights back to the factory spec. if I try to re-aim them. The dealer claims that the only way to adjust them is to change the software that programs the auto-adjustment. Is he just double-talking? Does anyone have any suggestions? I find that I am regularly using my highbeams to compensate for this very questionable factory spec. I complained to Infiniti Consumer Relations but got no response other than that the spec is the spec.
    Thanks in advance to all who share a solution.
    That just doesn't sound right. The adaptive lighting is automatically adjusting its left-right angle for turns, not its up and down angle.

I suggest doing the adjustment yourself, based on my previous instructions, and try two full rotations of the large visible cog wheel, (many turns of the screw driver) checking the headlight's spot on your wall at 6 feet.

I'll bet it's all good.

Pete
  • joe_ojoe_o Member Posts: 27
    I just tried Pete's method and will let you know how it works tonight. The AFS involves corner turning AND vertcal headlight alignment. However I beliveve the automatic vertical adjustment is triggered by load sensors in the rear, which sense a change in the car's veritcal alignment and compensate for it. Therefore I also think the service guy is wrong. Does this make sense???

Joe
    The AFS involves corner turning AND vertical headlight alignment. However I believe the automatic vertical adjustment is triggered by load sensors in the rear, which sense a change in the car's vertical alignment and compensate for it.

They do mention automatic leveling for AFS on their website, so you may be right about the automatic vertical adjustment. But the dealer's wrong regarding our ability to compensate.

I have AFS (it comes with journey package, and/or the premium package), and the adjustment I described totally handled the problem.

Pete