Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Fluid Change Question, 1997 Jeep Cherokee

crumb1crumb1 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Jeep
Just wondering if anyone has some advise on changing the rear differential fluid? It seems easy enough, but wondering if anyone had run into problems doing this?

Also, my transmission fluid needs changing as well. Should I leave this for a trained mechanic, or is it something simple enough to do myself? I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but have never touched transmissions.

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 54k miles.

Thanks,
Mike

Comments

• armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    Easy to do if the rear end has a drain and fill plug. If no drain plug a pain as you must either syphon out the gear oil or loosen all the bolts to get the gasket loose. You will need a fluid pumo top get the gear oil into the fil plug though.

The ATF is easy if it has a plug also, some makes do not and it means dropping the pan, a pain, or syphon the fluid via the dipstick which is fine if you have a fluid pump. Some makes (Isuzu) do not have a disptick though.
  • 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    Chrysler/Jeep recommends changing the transfer case and differential fluids every 30,000 miles, but realistically, I go 50,000 miles (but that is me personally).

DIFFERENTIAL FLUID CAPACITY
    181FBI 1.2 L (2.5 pts.)
    194RBI 1.66 L (3.5 pts.)
    with TRAC-LOK include 4 oz. friction modifier
    216RBA 2.25 L (4.75 pts.)
    with TRAC-LOK include 4 oz. friction modifier

DIFFERENTIAL FLUID TYPE
    A multi-purpose, hypoid gear lubricant which conforms to the following specifications should be used:
    MIL-L-2105C and API GL-5 quality specifications
    Lubricant is a thermally stable SAE 80W-90 gear lubricant
    Vehicles intended for heavy-duty or trailer tow use SAE 75W-140 SYNTHETIC gear lubricant
    Differentials equipped with TRAC-LOK or VARI-LOK require the specified amount of friction modifier.
    CAUTION: If axle is submerged in water, lubricant must be replaced immediately to avoid possible premature axle failure.
  • 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    Front differential fluid change.
    Raise and support the vehicle.
    Remove the lubricant fill hole plug from the differential housing cover.
    Remove the differential housing cover and drain the lubricant from the housing.
    Clean the housing cavity with a flushing oil, light engine oil, or lint free cloth. Do not use water, steam, kerosene, or gasoline for cleaning.
    Remove the original sealant from the housing and cover surfaces.
    Apply a bead of Mopar(R) Silicone Rubber Sealant, or equivalent, to the housing cover. Install the housing cover within 5 minutes after applying the sealant.
    Install the cover and any identification tag. Tighten the cover bolts to 41 Nm (30 ft. lbs.) torque.
    Fill differential with Mopar (R) Hypoid Gear Lubricant, or equivalent, to bottom of the fill plug hole. CAUTION: Overfilling the differential can result in lubricant foaming and overheating.
    Install the fill hole plug and lower the vehicle.
    Trac-lok differential equipped vehicles should be road tested by making 10 to 12 slow figure-eight turns. This maneuver will pump the lubricant through the clutch discs to eliminate a possible chatter noise complaint.
    Rear differential fluid change.
    Raise and support the vehicle.
    Remove the lubricant fill hole plug from the differential housing cover.
    Remove the differential housing cover and drain the lubricant from the housing.
    Clean the housing cavity with a flushing oil, light engine oil, or lint free cloth. Do not use water, steam, kerosene, or gasoline for cleaning.
    Remove the original sealant from the housing and cover surfaces.
    Apply a bead of Mopar (R) Silicone Rubber Sealant, or equivalent, to the housing cover. NOTE: Install the housing cover within 5 minutes after applying the sealant.
    Install the cover and any identification tag. Tighten the cover bolts to 41 Nm (30 ft. lbs.) torque.
    For Trac-lok differentials, a quantity of Mopar (R) Trac-lok lubricant (friction modifier), or equivalent, must be added after repair service or a lubricant change.
    Fill differential with Mopar (R) Hypoid Gear Lubricant, or equivalent, to bottom of the fill plug hole. CAUTION: Overfilling the differential can result in lubricant foaming and overheating.
    Install the fill hole plug and lower the vehicle.
    Trac-lok differential equipped vehicles should be road tested by making 10 to 12 slow figure-eight turns. This maneuver will pump the lubricant through the clutch discs to eliminate a possible chatter noise complaint.
  • cheesocheeso Member Posts: 1
    I have a'95 JGC with 199,000kms 6cyl inline..
    and at slow acceleration from stop, there is a high rev and slip between 2nd and 3rd. Funny thing though, it does not do this from a fast acceleration. And only does this occasionally.
    Am I being warned about a big repair problem? or just some badly need maintenance.
  • naujecknaujeck Member Posts: 1
    I just went in for an oil change on my 2002 GJC .... it has 17K miles. They told me my rear diff fluid needed changing - said it is supposed to be a honey color and showed me that mine was black. I see in a previous post that the rear diff is supposed to be changed at 30K but Jiffy Lube said it is at 12K. Does anyone know where they would have gotten this? And why doesn't my owner's manual have anything about it? Also, what is the recommended mileage for tire rotation? Thanks!
  • dsjeeptidsjeepti Member Posts: 61
    as per the manual should be done every 7,500 miles. I just had mine done at 8,000 by the dealer and they automatically balance the tires as well (and charged me a fairly hefty $50.00 to do so). Local gas station would do it for $10-$15. Can't say for sure about the diff but 30,000 sounds about right.
  • swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    although that seems a little too soon to me. match your kind of driving to the right recommendations in the manual, and follow them.
This discussion has been closed.