Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I got a new Chrysler Sebring as a courtesy car today when I took my wife's Accord in for fix the front bumper damaged in a minor fender-bender. The engine of the Sebring whizzes, the steering is loosey-goosey, the switchgears rough, but the thing had no rattles, creaks, pops, snaps, crackle. If Chrysler (of all people) could do it in a car half the price of my TL, why couldn't Honda?!!
  • pmf13pmf13 Member Posts: 68
    I read about the problems with the OEM tires before I bought the car and replaced them immediately with the Pilot Sport A/S. I'm generally happy with them as they perform well in dry, wet and snowy conditions. Not spectacularly, but well. If you are in an area of the continent that doesn't get much snow I'd consider a better summer tire, but if you do get all four seasons the Pilot Sport is an excellent compromise.
  • lorenzo46lorenzo46 Member Posts: 7
    My radio or CD player every now and than makes a morse code sound usually three or four beeps. The sound sounded like it was coming from the right front speaker so the dealer replaced the speaker. Now I'm getting the same sound and before I take it back has anyone had the same problem
  • igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    Having owned other Hondas yourself, do you think it's more TL, or this new TL specific. I personally have owned some Hondas (not Acura) and none of them have these rattle stuff until they are quite used.
    I know others will disagree, but I'm of the position that the older, Japanese-built Hondas had better build quality. My family has owned quite a few Honda models starting with a 1975 Honda Civic, and almost all of them remained rattle-free for a long time. My 2001 CL-S was the first Honda that I noticed the sub-par build quality, with poor fitting panels and rattles and noises. However, to be fair, I must say that my TL has superb body panel fitting and gap consistency. The only blemishes, aside from the rattles and noises, are a misaligned glove box door and airbag cover on the steering wheel, which I think are relatively minor flaws, and can be rectified by the dealer.
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Member Posts: 309
    Does anyone make a good 17 inch tire for the 2004 TL that lasts more than 15,000 miles?

I loooking for about 30,000 miles with a good ride.
  • chookalishchookalish Member Posts: 14
    I've been checking out the TLs at various dealerships over the pst few weeks. One thing I've noticed on these showroom TLs is that there are scratches and dings on an aluminum strip which runs between the seat and parking brake. Have any of you had similar problems with your TLs?
  • dalla04tlownerdalla04tlowner Member Posts: 3
    New to the group and have been reading the messages about rattles and transmission issues in the 04 TL. I purchased my 04 TL last October and have had to have a number of rattles fixed. The most recent rattle is on the driver side in the column between the windows--anyone know what this is? Acura has tried to fix it once but was not successful.

I had a 2002 TL Type S before I purchased the 04 TL. It had a number of rattles (and a transmissin that went out) also. My opinions of Acura quality are steadily declining :(

One other minor thing--the tape that holds the plastic piece around the gear shift is sliding out from under the piece. Is this happeneing to anyone?
  • jjabbytaylorjjabbytaylor Member Posts: 28
    Yes, I've got some minor scratching on the aluminum trim on my '04 TL. I'm not sure exactly how it happened, but it seems fairly easy to scratch/chip the aluminum trim.

Jeff
  • orangemanorangeman Member Posts: 1
    Could you tell us more about your rattles and if they've been fixed successfully? I'm just curious what to expect from the dealer when I bring mine.
    Did you fix any rattles yourself? Thanks.
    One "problem" that seems trivial but has proven to be annoying from a practical point of view is the wimpy "beep" sound for the keyless entry. I can't tell you how many times I have parked outdoors in bright light, locked with the remote, but can't see the light flash, nor hear the wimpy beep due to the ambient light and noise. It takes away from the convenience of the remote if you have to walk back up close to the car to see/hear the lock confirmation. It's got to be a simple enough fix for Honda to just put in a louder beeper. How difficult can that be? Lexus can even reprogram for a louder beep according to the customer's preference.
  • dtate99dtate99 Member Posts: 122
    EJohnson: I have purchased the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S recently for my '04 TL and I've been very, very satisfied. You can find my previous comments in this forum with a search for these tires.

Chookalish and JJabbyTaylor: The scratches in the aluminum trim piece b/n the seat and the gear shift is likely due to carelessness when buckling the seatbelt. It's seemingly easy to dent or scratch the aluminum when buckling quickly.
  • ron66832ron66832 Member Posts: 1
    Had my TL for about a month now and wanted to see if others are having this sound/problem and if it's normal. After shifting into drive, I hear a thump shortly after I start moving. If I'm starting off on level road it'll thump--almost like when the compressor for a/c comes on, but somewhat more noticeable. It seems somehow connected to the anti-lock brakes. When I start down my driveway and put on the brakes it seems like the anti-lock system activates. Very annoying, but it only happens once shortly after take off. I have tried to duplicate when the car is warm, but it only seems to happen when the car is cold. Any feedback would be appreciated.
    They were able to fix three rattles (glove compartment, one in the back near the window, and one in the dash left of the steering wheel. The one in the column between the windows seems to be more problematic.
  • aaarghaaargh Member Posts: 230
    This is the ABS brake self test. It seems to occur the first time you shift into 2nd gear. It's completely normal, if not a little bit annoying.
    I just recently purchased a wireless bluetoth phonefor my Acura. The people I have talked to so far say they can hardly hear me. I was wondering if anybody else has had experiences with Bluetooth and the Acura TL.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Enter "bluetooth" in the discussion search. There are 40 or so past posts that may contain some helpful info.
  • tlywtlyw Member Posts: 2
    My 2001 TL is exhibiting truly bizarre electrical problems. The wipers come on when its in park. The car locks and unlocks itself. The door beep is continuous if the car is not running (even when there's no key in the ignition) The dealer is having trouble finding the problem. Has anybody run into anything like this?
    Sounds like your TL has been possessed by the spirit of a VW! It needs an exorcist! :)
  • rickoricko Member Posts: 22
    Purchased tl in late feb,on trip home, I live 21/2 hours, noticed vibration in car which causes rattle in head board somewhere. I am now bringing the car in once again for the 3rd time for the same problem. They put new tires on last week did not help. Anyone had same problems? Thanks ricko
  • tlywtlyw Member Posts: 2
    Unfortunately, at this point I agree. Who did Linda Blair use?
  • rickoricko Member Posts: 22
    I have taken my TL back to the dealer for the 3rd time for vibration in car starting at 50mph, they have put new tires on and no help, just talked to service, they said they have been on phone with Acura that problem is not in wheels but drive train. Acura told them to neutralize motor mounts and retighten, no help,they are keeping car another day and waiting for Acura to tell them what to try next. Very dissatisfied with car's performance, I live 2 1/2 hrs away,think I will go buy a Lexus,anyone else had this experience? ricko
  • msf2msf2 Member Posts: 88
    Consult a lawyer about the lemon law. You may very well have a case.
  • luvmyltluvmylt Member Posts: 6
    I have the same issue though the dealer could not duplicate it! In addition to the noise I also have a crunchy feeling on the accelerator pad. Anyway, why would ABS Self-test only occur when the car is cold.....I don't hear it when I start off in the afternoons.
  • aaarghaaargh Member Posts: 230
    >>Anyway, why would ABS Self-test only occur when the car is cold.....I don't hear it when I start off in the afternoons.

Good Question. I know the self test occurs when I start in the morning and when I go home from work. I don't know (or haven't really paid attention) to whether it occurs every other time or not. It may be a time passed thing or a brake pressure thing.
    If I'm not mistaken, I hear the crunchy self-test noise everytime I start off, not just in the morning.
  • mariner7mariner7 Member Posts: 509
    From edmunds I read from time to time about Honda's V6 auto trans problems but never quite learned what it is. What is it?

Over the weekend I drove my dad's previous gen TL, a car I drove often before, but this time it did something different. From 1st gear, it appeared to overrev, and therefore shifted very abruptly to 2nd gear. The problem would appear and disappear.

Has there been a recall on the prev TL? If my dad doesn't get it serviced right away, will the engine get damaged?
  • lorileelorilee Member Posts: 1
    We purchased a 1996 Acura TL for a few thousand dollars from a Chevy dealer for our daughter to use going to school. It has 144,000 miles and we have the vin history. It was made in Japan and used as a dealer or show car until it was at 44,000 miles. It was then purchased and owned by one man until he traded it in May. We had to have an Acura dealer redo the fluid lines due to air bubbles and this was the cause of overheating the first week. Now all is fine and engine was not damaged by brief overheating. Acura dealer did dignostic and said that the car should easily last, with maintenace, another 50,000 miles plus. My question, the cooling fan runs for about three minutes when the engine is shut off, every time our daughter drives it, be it 5 miles or 15, etc. Is this normal for age and milage. Have we missed something. I have been told that Honda engines often do this. I just need reasurance or a tip if we are missing something that needs to be fixed before winter.
  • parasparas Member Posts: 2
    I've been to acura 5 times regarding vibration. They eventually changed tires and rims , but to no avail. They insist that nothing is wrong and that it is common for the 04 TL's. But they do a great job making me feel like I'm the only one who feels it.

Anyone with conclusive information?
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    What causes your TL to vibrate? Certain speeds? What vibrates, the wheel, dash?
  • armandarmand Member Posts: 178
    There hasn't been much said here lately about the TL tire problem. I wonder if anyone has heard anything new as to what if anything Acura is going to do about it. Great car - terrible tires.
  • parasparas Member Posts: 2
    1. a rumbling vibration at low rev RPM's. 2.During hard accelerations.
    3. Speeds above 40mph, regardless of whether the clutch is engaged or not. Worse above 75mph.
  • spitfiremikespitfiremike Member Posts: 5
    recently found out that low profile tires do little to protect alloy rim from curb scrapes! is anyone aware of a product to help polish minor scrapes on alloy rims?
  • mdhaukemdhauke Member Posts: 202
    Unfortunately not. 3 of my rims has scrapes now. The worst culprit? Drivethroughs.
    It doesn't help that the TL is now a fairly wide car. And the wheels pushed way out to the corners looks great, and helps handling, but adds to the problem. When I park curb-side, I go sloooooow!
  • bluetlbluetl Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem, it is a vibration that occurs on acceleration and then again primarily in the 1500 to 1800 RPm range, I feel it in the steering wheel, gas pedel and seat. I didn't notice it in the beginning I have about 4000 miles on my car now. It kind feels like when you need to clear your throat.
  • chiangjchiangj Member Posts: 17
    Sorry to hear that but I have the same problem! Two rims on right side was scraped. Is there anything I could repolish the surface?
  • dtinglerdtingler Member Posts: 1
    This is where people attempt to fasten the seat belt but miss. The aluminum strip is rather soft. I have a few marks.
    I've heard that the local police are starting to use that as a sobriety test. They are saying if you miss even the seat belt buckle, there is no way in hell you'd be able to touch your nose with your finger! :)
  • billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
    What is your email address? - I need a price on the Falkiens.
  • stickymanstickyman Member Posts: 53
    Well, I received the phone call from my dealer explaining that my 03 TL S, has been recalled because of the tranny. Seems like second gear isn't getting enough "oil" so, they have to install a pump?? Anyway, they will give a loaner and have the car for a couple of days. The car drives fine (24,000miles) and I haven't noticed any problems but, they want to be on the safe side...more power to them.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Generally I am very happy with the Bluetooth feature. A weird problem happened yesterday. When I returned to my car after about 4 hours, it showed no phone was paired. After I shut off the car and restarted it, it was back to recognizing the phone. Anyone else have this problem?

I'm using the Sony-Ericsson T608.
  • rsreenirsreeni Member Posts: 1
    I recently bough an used 2000 Acura 3.2TL with 495xx miles on it. Now, the Side Airbag light comes up and stays on. Do I have to get Dealer to fix it ? I tried adjusting the seats and doesn't help. If I sit in the passenger seat, the light turns off.Any help is appreciated.Thanks, Sreeni
  • sharpwitzsharpwitz Member Posts: 30
    I went online to do research on recalls and the TL has been recalled for transmission probs from 2000-2004! I want this car so bad it hurts, but I can't disregard this terrible history. Honda seems to be falling apart.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.c- fm

Use the right side box and search vehicle.
    You can even read the official letter Honda sent to its dealers.

Surprisingly, recalls for BMW and Lexus were small stuff. Infiniti did not fare well. Audi A6 did poorly but S6 had minor recalls. So Audi still looks pretty good.

I'd like to hear everyone else's comments on this.
  • donbldonbl Member Posts: 42
    If you think Audi's are good, read Consumer Reports survey results on reliability. Solid black circles.

Acura's tend to be half red or solid red.
  • sftroysftroy Member Posts: 30
    I purchased my 04 TL in Nov (VIN # ...00005xx) and I have similar vibration issues (see my earlier posts). My car vibrates at all speeds after the car has been parked overnight and at high speeds all the time. I parked the car for a week and the vibrations were terrible. I can feel it in the steering wheel, my passengers can feel it and I can hear the thumping sound often. After a long fight with Acura (and the Service Mngr going for a test drive alone), I got new tires and my rims were balanced. Unfortunately, the vibrations continued. I went on another test drive with a Tech, he noticed the vibrations. My rims were slightly out of spec and were rebalanced. I still have vibrations and I'm going f-ing crazy over this. I have Acura Cust Svc involved but if they handle it like the original tires, I'm in for a long, long battle. I have yet to hear back from my dealer and/or Acura on what the next steps are and when they will happen. The vibrations are simply not acceptable and anyone with this problem needs to call Acura and complain. (Note: I was told by the Acura Cust Service person that there is a known harmonic issue at 52MPH with some 04 TLs and that there is no fix for it right now. Great.)

Everyone should also demand that Acura extend the warranty on their 04 TL trannys to 100K like they and Honda have done for other models.

I purchased this, my 4th Acura/Honda product as a replacement for my 03 Accord that had premature transmission failure during the first year (among other issues). I thought that I purchasing a car of superior quality and superior customer service that I could rely on and feel safe in. I'm having second thoughts and it is up to Acura to do the right thing - are you listening???
    I agree...the TL is a nice car but is not in the same class as BMW or Lexus.

Too many problems... all kinds of rattles and transmision issues for 4 years in a row.

I'll never buy another Acura...nothing but an overpriced honda.
    There are people who specialize in reparing rims

Talk to the dealer...
  • gitn_writtinggitn_writting Member Posts: 2
    How did you get your dealer to change those awful
    EL42's?
  • gitn_writtinggitn_writting Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem. Wondering about that myself.