Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jeff2k2jeff2k2 Member Posts: 3
    My 2005 TL shudders while in park and I hold the RPM between 1000-1500. I do not experience the shudder or vibration when the car is moving. The car also has a rough idle when cold. The service rep stated that this is normal for Acura. Any other 2004 or 2005 owners experience a shudder or rough idle ?
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Mine doesn't shudder. It's a bit of a lumpy idle. Overall the TL does not idle as smoothly as, say, the Nissan/Infiniti VQ motors.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    Well, despite all of the comments listed in this forum, I decided to buy an 05' TL Navi auto (supposedly the good tires). Have around 900 miles on it and guess what....I have the vibration. Had good luck with 2 previous acuras so I thought maybe the defect was a fluke or some owners being over critical. I would ask all 04 and 05 owners to pay close attention when slowly accelerating in 5th gear past 45-55 mph. The vibration is not overwhelming, the steering wheel does not shake, but it is not a smooth ride. I did try down shifting (auto stick) into 4th and I believe the vibration goes away. I tried to ignore this problem when I first experienced it, but its definitely there. I don't understand how it could be the tires if it happens with multiple brands. Went back to the dealership and tested my salesmans tl, it had the vibration also. He "hadn't noticed it". I guess you won't sell many cars if you tell people it has a defect. If enough people complain (call acura customer service) they will eventually do something. Have an 04 MDX with the infamous "muffler resonance" which was fixed by removing one of the muffler hangers. I'll admit it's not the perfect solution (exhaust system missing a support) but it fixed the problem and acura will cover any consequences should they occur. Do manual tranny owners have this problem or is it just the autos?
    If downshifting via SS but maintaining same speed eliminates the vibration, then for sure it can't be the tires.
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Member Posts: 309
    That's great!

It's a real issue in a 35k car!
    Yes...the vibration is due to the drive train and is aggravated by poor tires...

I'll never buy another car in its first year of production ....I've learned my lesson...

I've also filed a lemon lawsuit against Acura.

I contacted Acura to see if they would like to resolve this issue without lawyers and they did not even return my calls………really tough people to deal with…they just do not care!
  • igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    "I would ask all 04 and 05 owners to pay close attention when slowly accelerating in 5th gear past 45-55 mph. The vibration is not overwhelming, the steering wheel does not shake, but it is not a smooth ride."

I've not noticed any unusual vibration but then again I might have stayed at 50 mph too often. Does it have to be 45-55 mph? What about 70 mph? The vibration is mainly felt from your body with seat contact and not from steering wheel? Can you hear the vibration too?
  • revrasrevras Member Posts: 63
    Pro's- nice engine, nice style, great stereo. Con's - terrible rear and side visibility from drivers seat, rough ride, hard cheap leather seats, vibrates going over 55 mph. Not a luxury car by any means.
    To Igiban,

I'm not sure if this affects all 04 models.

Mine starts to vibrate at 45 miles per hour just as the transmission shifts into 5th gear. It continues to vibrate until about 60 mph. You can get rid of the vibration by downshifting to 4th gear.

An acura should not do this...

The Acura case manager told me that the vibration has been corrected in the 05 model.

Can someone with a 05 TL please confirm that this problem has been corrected in the 05?
  • cuambacuamba Member Posts: 8
    Can anyone in the Chicago area tell me what kind of milage they have been getting on the 04/05 TLs? I do mostly short suburban trips and tend not to drive the car too hard.
    To Danny1878:

I stand corrected...{by 3 mph}...It shifts into 5th gear at 48 mph not 45 mph.

The point is .....it shifts too early and lugs and therefore causes a vibration. The Acura case manager said they are trying to develop a fix by changing the transmission shift point.

By the way... Acura acknowledges the vibration but will not admit it's a problem. They call it a harmonic vibration… They are trying to fix it but its not a problem.........…go figure!

I'm glad yours does not vibrate...
  • newtlownernewtlowner Member Posts: 2
    I've been getting 17 mpg consistently with mostly city driving. What are you and others getting milage wise?
  • tpacar79tpacar79 Member Posts: 23
    UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE to my posted message #1719

I had my hearing earlier this month. After my defense and a test drive the arbitrator ruled in my favor and awarded me a replacement or repurchase. Please review my previous not to see the description of my problems but ultimately the days out of service (30) and numerous repair attempts substanially impaired the use of the vehicle. The poor quality leather grade, phone being inoperable (it did not work on the test drive from land line or cell phones) and the paint issue substanially devalued the car. The power window impaired the safety as it went down by itself... the dealer did not have an answer for the phone said well aah we will need to look into the window going down by itself and offered to repaint the bumper... the vibrations could not be duplicated but it was noted the car was dealer serviced the the tire (crappy bridgestones) were severely balding and prematurely wearing... All this yielded the arbitrator to agree with me.

Despite me getting a repurchase, i like the TL but am changing my approach.. I will be using my refund and i will be getting an 2005 Acura TL A SPEC automatic w/navi(the full complete a spec kit tops out at 6k added) The car will now feature ground effects, a wing spoiler, 18in chrome rims on yokomana tires, brembo brakes/calipers, a sport wheel, A SPEC badging plus i am getting back up sensors....

Why u say did I choose this? well the TL offers the best overall value in its class and i believ some of the biggest problems on this car are the first year jitters plus I got an amazing deal on the TL aspec MSRP 42,988 as stated above. I am paying 39k...Audi and Beamer can't touch that not even lexus and with the car kit and it being under the factory warranty I was sold.

Nonetheless my biggest concerns were the paint lthr seats tires/vibrations and phone. In 2005 the bridgestone tires r dropped in place of michelins..regardless ia m getting a modified suspenion 18in tires and performance tires so I hope this problem is nullifed....Those of you that have the never failing bubbling leather seats? 2004 look at 05 models...they added the stitching to prevent this...guess acura was tired of bitchy people like me! hehe Phone I pray i have better luck. Nontheless Now i am proud to say I will have the sharpest TL on the road and it will be lowered and areo'd out and all under the factory warranty...cross your fingers for me!
    You will need to go to arbitration, acura and honda is one of the worst to deal with as they firmly believe their cars dont break...unless its ordered by a arbitrator you r screwed the case managers dont do jack...if u get a good acura u will never need one if u get a bad one its a long journey and a tedius process but with the proper education, documentation and processes followed u will be victorious.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,723
    I've had my '05 non-Nav/auto TL with the Bridgestones for about 8 weeks, 1900 miles. No vibration at any speed that I'm aware of. Smooth, quiet ride. I do believe the Bridgestone's flatspot (and are POOR in the snow), however.

During my weekly commute of 50/50 highway/local road driving, I'm averaging 20-21mpg using 93 octane. On my last mostly highway trip (180 miles @ ~80% highway) I averaged 27mpg @ average of 54mph.

So far, I believe this to be a great car and value. Long term tests I've read (this month's Motor Trend, an '04 model, for example) back this up. Hopefully, I'll feel this way in two or three years! I feel for those that didn't get a better example of the Honda/Acura marque.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Glad to hear you won. Hope you have better luck with the '05 TL.
    On my way home tonight I intentionally stayed around 50 mph more than usual and I really could not feel any more vibration than other speeds. I think my 05 really does not have that problem.
    UPDATE ON VIBRATION...

2005 models have modified shift points this is to correct the vibration issue...early 05 models may not have the modified shift points...ask the dealer for more info...I have become the guru on this cars quirks but the few big common ones on the 2004 models have been mainly cured on the 2005 model, guess acura listened to complaints however do little for those ginea pigs...i would avoid 2004 models at all costs unless u can live with such flaws that become annoying in due time.
    I would try and mix up the octane on the car as the engine might be running "too rich" whereby causing a less efficent mpg. The engine calls for 91 I flip (as 91 is hard to come by) from 93 and 89 and i have excellent mpg, seemlingly better than the manufactuers ratings usually unless my trip computer is lying to me.
    To Tpacar79:

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I did have an arbitration hearing scheduled but cancelled the hearing in favor of a private attorney. About a week ago channel six did a piece on arbitration hearings and said they were bias against the consumer so I opted for an attorney.

I agree with you, most Acura’s are great cars but when you get a bad one the company just has a bad attitude.
    To jehrmd,

Are you going to keep the car? What is Acuras position?
    To TPACAR79:

You must be an eternal optimist....

Good Luck with the 05.....be sure to test drive the car before you sign the papers
  • tcltcl Member Posts: 42
    I ordered my 05 model in late Oct and picked it up on early Nov. It has the Bridgestone tires. So far I did not have any problems mentioned. The only thing is kind of bumpy on rough road, but it happens on other car also.
    Thanks for the response...

It sounds like the vibration problem may have been corrected on the 05 models.

Perhaps they will come out with a fix for the 04 model...hope so
    Thanks. The MPG was actually climbing as I drove the highway miles, but the last 15 miles of the trip (and first 15 of the trip home) were local roads (sub 50mph). 91 is hard to come by, as you mention which is why I'm using 93. In fact, at my choice of stations, I get 93 cheaper than 91! Maybe my next trip I'll clock just the highway mpg.

Buying any first model year car is a gamble. I took the gamble with (of all things!) a Chrysler 300M. Loved the car. It did have some first model year issues (incl. window motors and tranny electronics) but all were fixed quickly and under warranty. The 2000 model year addressed most issues.

The TL is a great car!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

"I would try and mix up the octane on the car as the engine might be running "too rich" whereby causing a less efficent mpg.....I flip (as 91 is hard to come by) from 93 and 89"

Wait, are you saying using 89 actually gives you better mpg than 93?
    If changing the shift points on the tranny fixes the problem, then they should be able to easily do that for the '04 since the shift points are software-controlled. So it should be a simple re-program.
    "I've been getting 17 mpg consistently with mostly city driving."

What's your mph? I found mpg to be related to mpg closely. They raise together and drop together. My mph has been lower than 30 from mixed driving and mpg on low 20's from that. But mpg gets closer to 30 when mph is around 50. Pct of highway/local can be misleading as few miles on stop and go local can cost mpg real quick.
    Thanks. I already advised the dealership I would want to test drive the car and prior to any deal being done I will be staisfied or it will be a no go.
    I do know the shift points have changed but in my opinion based on my findings, dealing, observations of acuras stance on this is that they realize the problem exists however will not go thru the trouble to recall 2004 tls with the problem as they state the harmonic resonance/vibration/slash whatever new "characteristic" your local manufacturer's rep calls it is not cost effective... which leaves alot of pissed off customers which I recommend the arbitration process... which means bad acura service until you win then and only then they do what needs to be done and get you out of the car or replace it. I am sure some guy in a suit who sits behind glass walls and a desk knows the issues and they figure those who complain we deal with others.. oh well... cause when [non-permissible content removed] hits the fan he loses his job... its simple politics and we are merely pawns and the dealers are drones here.

As far as the octane... If your car seems to run rough or you are noticing your fuel economy drop switch to 91, or in my case alternate with 93, 91 and 89 at times (yes 89) My fuel economy is at what they state it should be or better on hwy driving... have found the mixture doesn't create any issue on my Tl even though it was deemed a lemon for other reasons...and at 23k miles she is scheduled to depart in 2-3 weeks and the ASPEC awaits...anyone have the ASPEC pkg here?
  • acuratlmdxacuratlmdx Member Posts: 5
    My dealer felt "bad" but did not do a darn thing except offer free alignment if I got new tires. Called Acura and received the worst customer service I have experience from any car company. Own 3 Acura's and will not be a future customer. They don't seem to care.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    All they (Acura service) did was balance my tires and pretend that it (vibration) is a non-issue. Again, poor poor customer service.
  • irehs123irehs123 Member Posts: 2
    Well I did not have much luck calling Acura directly. I explained to them that at 13,500 miles my car will not pass inspection due to the tires being worn. They said that is normal wear for high performance tires and they will do nothing about it. I explained to them I knew of others getting the tires replaced and was told there must of been some other problem. What exactly was the complaint made to them and any other info that you can provide that might be helpful.
    Tires vibrate and flat spot.

The people at Acura are really great until you have a problem........then they don't return phone calls.
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    Is the vibration problem confined to the automatic? Anyone with the 6MT experiencing vibration or any other problem?
  • jkgreer2jkgreer2 Member Posts: 42
    I have experienced no vibration problems with my 6MT after nearly a year of enjoyable ownership. Also, no squeeks except for glovebox (fixed), and no tire problems due to my switching out the tires at the dealership when new. If you want a car that will provide you with a fun driving experience, with no hassles due to automatic shifting patterns, I highly suggest the 6MT in the TL. Why be bored while you drive?
  • stickymanstickyman Member Posts: 53
    I have a 03 TLs that has developed a very squeaky front end. Hit the brakes it squeaks, hit a bump, it squeaks...it is not the brakes.
    Any idea? Bad Struts or bushings?

I'm sorry to hear about so many issues with the new TL; this has me looking at the new Avalon.

good luck to all

Stickyman
    I don't really think there are "so many" issues with the new TL. It has received nothing but great reviews/long term magazine test reviews. A few owners on these boards, unfortunatley, seem to have some issues. I'm sure you can find issues on any board/any car.

Granted, I've only had my TL for a couple of months, but no issues to report. A neighbor has an '04, he traded in his '99 TL and has no issues or complaints. He loves TLs.

Just give the TL a good, long test drive or two (or more?) and then decide.

No vibration on my 05 TL-5sp either. I do hear squeaks at times when driving over rough road, but not on smooth one. For those who get rattles or squeaks do you get it even when driving on smooth surfaces?

Even my smoothie ES can give me squeaks, granted only on a really rough surface. TL is more sensitive to bumps, and the harder interior materials seem to bring some squeaks more easily on bumpy roads.
  • dojadoja Member Posts: 19
    I read the posts on this board for about 5 months prior to purchasing an 05 auto w/nav. I was very worried about the "vibration" issue.

I've have owned the car for about 8 days now and I have not experienced any vibrations. The only reason I'm posting is that I'm sure many potential TL buyers read the posts on this forum. So for what it's worth I have put the car through its paces and detect no vibration.

BTW, I mentioned the vibration issue to the salesman and, of course, he seemed genuinely surprised. But he let me test drive the car for over 25 minutes on many surfaces. During the test drive once I reached 65 I dropped the speed down to 35 numerous times and then accelerated to see if I noticed a vibration. No vibs...so I bought it.
  • jpla49jpla49 Member Posts: 13
    What's up with the 04 TL? Everyone I've looked at has a bubbling seat problem, especially on the drivers seat. I was disappointed especially after hearing so many good things about this car Why would a entry level luxury car be fitted with such cheap leather? Can anybody tell me if it's improved in the 05? The new ones I look at seem to be better. Does anybody know if Acura has a fix for the 04 bubble seats? I can save a lot of $$ purchasing an 04.
  • rogjahrogjah Member Posts: 1
    I am in New York ...I am having similar problems with my 2004 TL ...what do suggest.

Rogjah.
    I had an 04 TL and took to arbitration over seats and won they r buying back the car... the 2004 seats are not designed well in that their is additional stitching to prevent bubbling, this is corrected in 2005 seats overall the leather quality in acura is [non-permissible content removed] compared to rivals lexus and infiniti but you do pay more this is some of the reason acura can offer a substantial price on their cars they chinse out on items like this.... the dealers AND manufacturer will do nothing FOR YOU with regards to leather and if if you r lucky and they replace it will happen again... unless u r saving i mean mega thousands go for an 05 TL you will be happier with the second year for many reasons Acura will not recall the seats even though they corrected problem because they will lose money and since its not a safety issue the customers get screwed :) Acura Client Relations #1 in SEFVICE lol what a joke....
    Agree with you. My 7 mo. old TL's seats have been showing excessive wear for 2-3 mos., and was given the "normal wear" response. Interestingly, my G35 Infiniti showed wear after three years (bought early '02, an '03 model), and Infiniti recently replaced both front seats with close to 40,000 mi. on the car. This is why Infinit/Nissan will get my business again and Acura will not.

(BTW, I am not obese or hard on things and have never had a prior seat wear issue on over 30 cars in the last 10-15 years.)
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    I purchased my 05 TL automatic (no nav) last December. I currently have 5800 miles on it and no problems to date. No vibrations, rattles or squeaks. Leather seats are holding up fine at this point.
    congratulations....you might have gotten a good one.
    As far as the leather seat is concern, I think he may have gotten THE good one. :)
  • loguelogue Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 TL 6MT that currently has 3,000 miles on it. So far, I have had new rotors- due to a squeeky brake right from the get go. Balance of tires, rebalance, and finally new Turanza tires put on the car. My vibration, starting at about 45mph to 60mph is worse than before tire replacement. I got this car as a 2nd car because the need to have a fun car ( like previous Prelude) but that could fit the whole family. I am very frustrated because the vibration ruins the whole ride. I do not drive the car much because it just makes me angry about the "luxury car" that has a ride worse than my Honda Odyssey. I am beginning to consider the Lemon Law, and arbitration sounds as if it may be the only way to "give back" the car , or have it replaced with an 05. Does anyone have any experience or advice?
    I thought only automatics had the vibration problem at 55 mph!...guess i was wrong

I have a 04 TL and have had nothing but aggravation with the car. To date I have had the following problems:

Poor Tires
    Defective leather seat, which they replaced.
    Drivers seat is now showing wear after 10k miles
    Defective Seat memory
    Badly designed Transmission (2nd gear and oil pump)
    Sagging Headliner
    Harmonic vibration in drive train
    Creaks and rattles
    Rattles from glove box (had to buy and install foam to stop the rattles)

Constant lies and deceitful conduct from salesman and service representatives stating that they never even heard of the cars problems…according to them the car is perfect and no one except me is having problems.

I finally got fed up and asked for an arbitration hearing. Before I could get to a hearing I spoke to an attorney friend and he advised me to get a lemon law lawyer. He said the arbitration hearing was a joke.

I’ve sent all my documentation to a prominent Philadelphia lawyer to see if I have a case. His initial comment was that Acura does not have to provide you with a perfect car. As far as the vibration is concerned, it’s a touch and go situation. If the vibration is pronounced and very noticeable you have a case. If the vibration is minor you may not have a case. My lawyer is going to have a car expert drive the car to determine if the vibration is bad enough to file suit.

Bottom line is that I may be stuck with this piece of Junk.
  • ljwalters1ljwalters1 Member Posts: 294
    no vibration problems with my '04 manual. I have bridgestone potenzas - don't know if that matters or not.