Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• revrasrevras Member Posts: 63
    It is amazing to me that Acura has the nerve to say this PROBLEM is inherent to the car and no recourse is available. In a car costing close to 35K, vibration above fifty mph should not be acceptable.
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Member Posts: 309
    To REVRAS,

I agree!

I recently filed a lawsuit regarding the vibration issue and other quality related problems such as rattles. Acura stated that the vibration is a " characteristic of the 04 model". Some folks who purchased 05 models have also reported vibration but I’m not sure that it’s the same problem.

Acura did not even attempt to address the rattles in the car or the falling headliner ( which they replaced, or the anti-freeze smell which emitted from the heater for the first 6 months of ownership.

Acura is a real Class act……as in class action!
    :lemon:
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    Ok thanks for the reply. My question for those of you here, I want a sort of a poll question for those that have the 04/05 TL...do you have the vibration problem? Please just answer YES or NO. Thanks!
  • ed31cincyed31cincy Member Posts: 56
    To Kennynmd:
    I have an 04 TL. Bought in late August 04, and I now have 14K miles on it. The vibration I experience is from 48-60 mph. It feels like one tire is just slightly out of balance. It really isn't that bad, but when you are spending $35K, you expect better. My dealer rebalanced the tires and it was a shade better, but not perfect.

I guarantee that the first time you really put your foot into the accelerator, the first time you use a Bluetooth phone, the first time you see the interior blue lighting in the nighttime, the first time you turn the volume past 14 with a DVD-Audio disc in the sound system, you will FORGET all about that vibration!

I am absolutely sure a few people here have TL lemons, but remember that this is the "problems and solutions" board. You are going to see problems. Look at some other car model's problem boards too. I am crazy about my TL and I can't wait to drive it each morning. I'm sure a lot of people who post here and on the other TL boards share my sentiments. I hate to say this, but just remember this car is built in America, and I still think our assembly line workers and American parts suppliers are not world-class, even when working with Japanese engineering.
  • armandarmand Member Posts: 178
    No -'04 TL
  • runstevierunrunstevierun Member Posts: 2
    NO. '05 TL 6M Non-Nav. It's perfect.
  • aaarghaaargh Member Posts: 230
    No - 04' 5AT - 15K miles.
    04...Yes... 11K
  • battrlbattrl Member Posts: 12
    NO

'05 Auto Navi
  • tcltcl Member Posts: 42
    No, early 05 auto. no any other problems.
  • bhelsdonbhelsdon Member Posts: 134
    No, 04, auto, navi, 29k
  • wolfman59wolfman59 Member Posts: 6
    I had it back FOUR times. First time they tightened all the screws in the door panel and "supposedly" removed the plastic the detailers failed to remove. Second time the ordered a new door panel. Third time they changed the door panel,a nd the last time they replaced the window door run and sash. SO FAR, SO GOOD!
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,726
    Nope, '05 Non-nav auto.

But I have had the disappearing outside temperature reading issue half a dozen times in my first 4 months of ownership. So it ain't perfect...but it is smooth, quiet, fast, good looking, well built...!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• njlawnjlaw Member Posts: 7
    No vibration or other problems - '04 TL Nav - 14k miles.
  • zeustlzeustl Member Posts: 2
    Yeah Dude the bridgestones are crapp! you need to get the Michellan tires they are much better! my neighbor works at an Acura Service center and thats what he told me was the problem. Luckily i had the Michellan tires on mine when i got it.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    NO - '04 auto with 6,000 miles, 11 months.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    '04 YES (Nav.+ many rattles)
  • danny1878danny1878 Member Posts: 339
    No vibration/rattle 04 without nav with 25kmiles :shades:
    I guess the monitor is not linear. I looked less than 1 week ago and it said 70% left. Today I looked and it's dropped to 60%.
    View Poll Results: With those who have vibration issues, how have you dealt with the problem?

Complained to Dealer/ACS, not resolved 27 ......... 69.23%
    Complained but resolved to your satisfaction 9 .......... 23.08%
    BBB Arbitration and won refund of $$ or new vehicle 1 ...... 2.56%
    BBB Arbitration and lost 2.56%
    Hired attorney and won refund of $$ or new vehicle 1 .... 2.56%
    Acura’s policy of only dealing with those who complain is cost effective. Not many folks are willing to hire an attorney or go to arbitration. Most people will live with the car for a few years and trade it in…

Acura admits that the 04 TL has a harmonic vibration at speeds of 48 to 61 mph. It’s characteristic of the 04 model…Acura will tell you this…

Many 04 owners have the vibration, but cannot recognize the vibration because of the car’s rough ride and poor tires. The vibration gets mixed in with all the other road noise.

But a discriminating driver, perfectionist, or car buff will take notice…. particularly in a brand new car that costs 35K.

If you drive the car on a new road at speeds of 50 to 55 mph and then maintain that speed for a few minutes, you will feel the vibration.

If you drive fast, you will go in and out of the vibration zone so quickly that you will not notice it.

:lemon: When you get your 04...'05 TL AT, slowly accelerate to 50-53mph. Then hold it around that speed. The car should be in 5th gear. Very slowly tip into and out of the throttle like you're trying to maintain around 50-53mph. Tell us if you feel the engine lugging or vibrating
  • aaarghaaargh Member Posts: 230
    It rounds to the nearest 10 percent, but I think it is linear (at least to the way you drive). Why, I don't know. If it's doing the calculations, why not show the accurate number. STUPID design. Whoever decided that at Acura should be fired.

When it get's to 15% (or 10%?) percent , it rounds to the nearest 5% I believe.

Actually, I think the whole trip computer design is very poor also. Why do I have to hit the select button EVERY TIME to see it? I want it to come on the way I left it when I last turned the car off. Why Can't the miles to empty be on the same screen? I don't care how long the car has been running since the last reset.

Thanks, I feel much better now that I got that off my chest.
  • wolfman59wolfman59 Member Posts: 6
    To tedescm1 (or anyone else who has sued Acura or is willing to)

I am interested in your lawsuit. Is this a personal one or a class action? I am having all sorts of problems with my new 05 TL. Acura "appears unwilling to even acknowledge they have a problem, much less FIX it. I have a whine in my transmission, (PLUS I had a hole in the seat cover - they replaced it but did not do a good job - , and a door rattle, that "hopefully" is now fixed.) Acura replaced the transmission after MUCH complaining, but it still makes the same noise. The "NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC" excuse does NOT cut it, ESPECIALLY when one pays $35 K for a car billed by the manufacturer as a "LUXURY sport sedan". This is anything but "luxury". It appears there are WAY too many problems with the new TL's, for which Acura does not wish to accept responsibility. That is "no way to run a railroad", and I feel we "passengers" are getting a lousy ride! Is there any "class action" interest or information out there?
    o wolfman59 :

I purchased my 04 nearly two years ago and have nothing but problems They include:

Poor Tires
    · They ruined my Wheels putting on new tires
    Defective leather seats
    Defective Seat memory unit
    Badly designed Transmission (2nd gear and oil pump)
    Sagging Headliner which i had to fight to get replaced
    Harmonic vibration in drive train ( they have no fix)
    Creaks and rattles throughout the cabin
    Rattles from glove box (had to buy foam to stop rattles)
    Constant lies and deceitful conduct from salesman and service representatives

I first filed a BBB suit, but a lawyer friend advised that the BBB arbitration is owned and sponsored by ACURA. He said the BBB process is a joke …on you!

I cancelled the BBB process and went with a private lawyer.

I had documented all my visits to my dealer (12 in 15 months) and retained the services of a very large lemon law lawyer in Philadelphia Pa.

My case will be heard in Dec 05. It takes about 8 months to go to court. I am told that Acura usually settles out of court. But I’m more than willing to blast
    the s ---- out of them in court.

They are the ultimate low life in companies…. They are nothing more than common thieves
    "want good advice..? ..buya G-35!"

Before recommending that model to anyone, you really ought to go to the Problems and Solutions message board for the G-35. The G-35 has some serious issues also with the coupe and sedan. How about unexplained acceleration? Tranny noise, heavy tire wear, tire pressure monitor problems, etc. It makes me want to hug my '04 TL.

I know you have more than your fair share of problems with your TL. I hope you win in court and I think you deserve to win. No one should have to go through what you have had to face. However, I don't think that your car and a few others on this board are a fair representation of all '04-'05Acura TLs.
  • darrenwdarrenw Member Posts: 23
    unfortunately it happened to my G35. Touchy brakes, rough transmission, vibration, and some electrical problems. I am planning to sell the car soon and hopefully gonna get the TL '06 with sh-awd (when available).

They sell almost 90k cars a year on 04 alone and according the polls above, I consider it very very few that has problems. You guys are very lucky. I should've bought the TL in the first place. Dang lucky me.
  • fdcapt2fdcapt2 Member Posts: 122
    I'm driving an '03 3.2 TL, and I've been waiting to buy the new '05, or '06 in the fall. My present car has had some minor problems, such as the recall and replacement of the tranny, some noises, and my CD player croaked twice and had to be replaced. After reading what some of you are saying about the new TL, and also hearing plenty of complaints on 2 other Acura TL forums, I'm seriously worried about my next Acura. I've been test driving the TL at many of the Acura dealers here on Long Island, and was pretty much sold on the car. Now, I'm really up in the air. Most people blame the fact that the car is made here, and not in Japan anymore. It's a good reason considering the difference between the quality of some of the other Japanese made cars. You would figure that a car costing so much would be better made, with not as many troubles. And as far as the Acura dealers, I see I'm not the only one who has had problems. :mad:
    The kinds of problems I see on many of the message boards completely amaze me. It's sad, really. To plunk down 35 large and then be frustrated month after month is terrible. I stayed away from BMW for that very reason. My neighbor worked for a BMW dealer and would bring troublesome cars home from time to time just to see if he could duplicate the customer complaint.

I really think the blame rests on manufacturing and not on engineering. I also think the "first year curse" still lives, no matter what brand is being built.
    to Ed31cincy:

I agree...with your assessment!

I 'm sure the 05 and 06 TL will be great cars.

It's just unfortunate that Acura will not address or stand behind the people like me, who were dumb enough to buy an early model TL.

Acura’s attitude is just very poor………...
    I think the vibration issue w the TL is well documented and as a previous writer suggested, if you can be happy with a great stereo and 275 hp, then perhaps a fairly punishing ride accentuated by vibrations at over 55mph is no big deal. I just wish the Acura dealers were more honest in presenting this car as a luxury auto. I may be crazy, but to me a luxury car does not vibrate, as a characteristic of the ride. At this price point there are so many other good alternatives that don't exhibit vibration - as a characteristic of the car. I purchased one of the first Integra's in the USA back when Acura was just introduced in the mid eighties. The Integra was a great car. I thought I would give Acura another try with the TL and have to say - no more Acura for me. I was fortunate tho, there is still a good market for this car and I was able to unload it with minimal financial damage after 2 months of vibrations and rough,punishing ride on uneven street surfaces Before dumping this car I did change tires but it really didn't help. As Acura is happy to point out- AFTER the sale- vibrations are a characteristic of this model.
  • mattanders1mattanders1 Member Posts: 10
    Re: DVD Audio; unless I am doing something wrong, the DVD-A side of a Dual Disc (one side CD, one side DVD-A and DVD) does not work. Since it looks like most DVD-A discs are now going to be made in that format, it will be a challenge being able to get use out of the 5.1 DVD-A feature.
  • johnnyxtjohnnyxt Member Posts: 15
    Did you sell it yourself or did you trade it in? What did you wind up getting?
  • sgc58sgc58 Member Posts: 5
    I live in the Chicago area and own a 2004 TL (10500 miles) with black interior. I have had the dashboard replaced once, under warranty, because it faded. I am now beginning to experience the same thing with the new dashboard that was replaced 6 months ago.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and what was Acura's solution? I was told the first time that Acura was seeing some of this out in the Western US.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Had my oil changed at a place other than the dealer. Now a week later my service light is on for the expired oil. Does anyone know how to reset this or do I have to go to my friendly dealer?

Thanks.
  • zeustlzeustl Member Posts: 2
    All you have to do is bring up the A1 service messege. hold the reset button down for like 25 to 35 seconds and a list will come up and ask if you want to reset service. press that and you should be good.
  • ktlktl Member Posts: 1
    Hey

see the links for recalls. www.recall-warnings.com and www.internetautoguide.com. :(
  • igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    Thanks ktl. It's different fuse from mine, which is on tranny. Plus, mine was built after the build date range on the recall. Some pin got loose on mine and they had to resecured it. Guess not all parts from Japan are error free......
    I traeded it in and got within 1K of my buyout on the lease. The dealer was happy to take it in trade w 3K miles and I wound up getting a car I can live with happily for the next 3 years.
  • r_lr_l Member Posts: 5
    No. 05 Navi ...

But I was able to feel a slight vibration at 50-55mph in a demo 05 TL w/o navi. They use different tires for TL w navi and TL w/o navi.
  • r_lr_l Member Posts: 5
    Just my two cents. I was looking at TL, G35 and ES330 because they were all in my price range. I went over each of their forums on Problems and Solutions. I finally realized that none of them are perfect. Just as TL has vibration problem, ES330 has the transmission problem, G35 has its long list of problems, and of course BMW and all the German makes have their problems ... It seems very common that all these entry luxury cars have this or that problem. And I believe this is because a call on how to balance quality and value has to be made in these cars.

So you have to decide by yourself what you care most in your car. Nobody else can tell you that. I finally went with a TL after all these disclosures by previous owners(, and I sincerely thank all writers in these forums). If you don't mind spend another $10K, I bet you'll be much satisfied. Or consider a better pre-owned cars, such as a GS430 and its peers.
    r_l:
    Very well stated, especially about the quality versus value balance. As far as the vibration issue, I think that Acura really doesn't have a fix and the tire balance and other fixes reported here are just "stabs in the dark". I'm not that upset by the vibration, but as I stated before, for $35K I expected better. I also don't like how Acura is handling the situation for a couple of the people who have posted here who have been enduring multiple problems. I like my dealer, but I think Acura corporate needs to deal with this issue in a more straightforward way.
    My dashboard is blochy and has been from the day i received the car. I did ask the service manager about the dash and he said it looked normal.
  • ugafanugafan Member Posts: 3
    Just got my '05 Manual w/ Navi about 1.5 weeks ago. I had a 3 series previously and I love this car a lot more for the most part. Only negative is the much discussed front wheel drive, but the other plusses much outway the 3 series. Great car. I have some questions you guys might be able to help me out with:

1. Is there any way to have the car default to the audio screen instead of the Navi legal screen at startup?
    2. My car pulls to the left when cruising. Anyone else had this problem? I am guessing its just the alignment. But I seem to remember hearing of drifting problems with front wheel drive cars and I was just curious if fixing the alignment will fix this annoying problem.
  • ugafanugafan Member Posts: 3
    I am a Verizon customer. How does the Motorolla phone w/ Bluetooth they offer work with the TL? I have heard mixed comments on this.
  • armandarmand Member Posts: 178
    I have a new 325XIT and like it very much. But I get a lot of static on both AM and FM. It's not constant but I would guess that any time it is in a slightly weak signal area it has static. Anyone else experience this. My other car - a '04 Acura TL almost never has any static in the same areas.
  • lhoward1lhoward1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 96 Acura 3.2 TL. It has been towed in 4 times in the last year. I have replaced the
    radiator, hoses and put 4 new thermostats in. When you stop the car the electric fan will continue to run for up to 20 mins. Is this a sensor problem ?? or and electrical problem ??
    I,m at my wits end. Thank you for any HELP!!!!!
  • lhoward1lhoward1 Member Posts: 2
    Come on guys, I need HELP!!!!!
    Your dealer has no idea? :confuse:

Have they considered whether there is a problem with the water pump?
    head gaskets ??????????
  • tldudetldude Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased the Motorola V710 for use with an '04TL - it works great and hasn't given me any problems in nearly 4 months.
    I can understand your frustrations ( and we all suffer from buyer's remorse to some degree with any large purchase) but I'm not sure I would classify your concerns as defects, or flaws of the car. As you stated, some of the problems may go away by themselves, and some, IMO, may be the same with any car. For example, I'm not sure the windows are designed to be squeegees. Great if they do that, but..... I guess that's why Walmart sells squeegees! ;) And the HVAC's reaction to changing temp may be normal. I mean, I'd would expect the system to take a bit of time to go from one extreme temp to the other. In fact, I find my TL warms up quicker than any previous car that I have owned or rented.