Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    You're lucky. I'm 0 for 3 with Acuras that I bought all new. This is my last.
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    This is my first Acura and I hope I didn't make a mistake, but I don't think so.
  • confusedontlconfusedontl Member Posts: 15
    Yes, I have test driven the 2005 TL. We never noticed any wind noise or rattles. I was thinking that I could save some money and get a 04 model. I keep reading bad things on the 2004 model. I have many people telling me that they had to change their tires after 16,000 miles. Also, I heard many times that the customer service sucks. I'm just so undecided. I hate to pay that much and have problems. Then again I may never have problems. I guess its just a gamble one way or the other. :confuse:
  • delmar1delmar1 Member Posts: 744
    Carnaught....I see from your profile that you have a 2004 TL. As I mentioned, it appears the issues related to vibration and creaks are from the 2004 TL...which is the first production year.

We are talking of a purchase of a 2005 TL...which does not appear to have the same difficulties.
    As for changing the tires after 16k miles. I haven't gotten to mileage...but I can tell you about the G35 coupe. The front and rear tires are different sizes..so you cannot rotate. I bet they will burn out tires much faster. As for the G35 brakes...wow...I hear they need replacement about every 25k.
    More about the tires...as I forgot to mention a key point. It isn't the TL the reason why the tires will probably get you about 25k miles. It is because of the type of tire. Remember...the TL is a luxury-sports car and the original tires are 235-45-17 tires that have a speed rating of "W". Sport tires that are low profile (45 series) and has a speed rating of "W" (rating of 168mph versus a "H" rating which is 130mph). They are made to be 'stickier' tires.

Now...in your future set of tires...you could always choose a different type of tire with higher wear...and lower performance.

Or you could always get the "Michellin Pilot Sports A/S" which I understand to have the ability to go 40,000 and have all the sports features of the "W" series tires. (I am going to research more about it in the future as I approach my first replacement set...but would appreciate any thoughs now)

So...as I mention...it is the type of tire and NOT the TL... tires which you should also find on many other sports cars in its class (ie G35...but the TL has the advantage of being able to rotate the tires as I mentioned that the G35 coupe you cannot because of different tire sizes front and rear).
  • nightcrawler29nightcrawler29 Member Posts: 146
    Well I'm almost up to my 2nd week with my TL w/Nav and I haven't had any problems at all with it.... It drives real good, and haven't found any wind noise or vibrations of any kind, like those posted previously. Well I can't even complain about gas consumption because it has done pretty well so far considering how much I've driven it for the last 2 weeks. Only thing I might have a problem with is with the Navigation... At least where I live its been kind of hard to find streets in the map, and some businesses are not included on the cd even though I think they have been there for a couple years now. But well, there's a lot of development right now, so I'm not really dissapointed, because I have found it to be very usefull sometimes.... plus it looks cool. My dad has a Honda Accord, and I feel it drives more or less the same way, although the TL feels tighter and more stable, and has more power... and the sound system is really good!
  • ceraulicerauli Member Posts: 44
    I have an 04 TL, White diamond, parchment leather... LOVE THE CAR!!! I have had some issues but they have all been fixed. Vibration issue has significantly improved as time has gone by. (7K miles on the car and one year old). ) 5's seem to not have the 04 issues. Serious car for low $30's. :D
    I would go with the 05, then you won't have to deal with customer service. :)
    In a post, long ago (LOL) someone said that the Camry had a more powerful AC than the TL, and that is true. I lived in Phoenix for a couple of years and would much prefer the Camry AC than the TL in such a hot place.

Bought my wife a TL in May, and it's my only complaint. However, we live in San Francisco, so it never really gets hot here, so not a problem. :shades:
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684
    '05 Non-Nav TL. No vibrations, one rattle fixed at A1 service (when sunroof is in vent position, loud rattle over uneven pavement. There is a TSB on it). No wind noise. My father has an '04 and has not had one complaint (white/tan interior). He just drove it from Florida to California and said it was a great drive!

Go for an '05, price should be in the ~$32-33k range, depending where you live. Comparison shop and negotiate at end of the month.

Also, remember this is a Probs/Solutions thread so if you're reading here you will read about problems. And don't believe everything you read (trolls!)! The TL is selling very well, if most had such problems they would be selling, well, like GMs... ;)

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    I also am concerned with having good vision out of my car, but I've had great experiences with window tinting. The best way to find a place is through recommendations. I haven't had that good fortune, so I just make sure I look the place over and look at the vehicles in the lot. If the place is busy, and they offer a variety of tints (like 8 or so), that makes me more comfortable. If they also do home-window tinting, I'll feel better about them. Then I look in the lot to see if the tinted cars there have bubbled or anything. I'll ask to see their employees cars, since I'm sure they tint their own, and those would be examples of tint-jobs that've been around awhile.

I couldn't imagine not tinting my car windows here in sunny FLA. The key is to use a lighter tint. On my old CL (forget the year, but it was before the last model), I had it tinted as dark as was legal, and it did a good job of keeping out the heat and added to my comfort, but I had trouble seeing out the rear window at night.

With my next car, I used a light metallic tint that was great - it looked metallic when hit by the sun, but almost clear when not. It was light enough to see fine. The problem with metallic tint, though, is that radar and satellite signals can have trouble getting through.

So on my TL I have a light non-metallic tint that I'm also very happy with. Still, if someone did not plan on using rador or satellite navigation, I'd recommend the metalic. (PS - it doesn't affect cellular service)

Overall, I've had 4 cars tinted at 3 different places (I've moved around a lot), and never had a problem.
    Great decision to get the nav. It's awesome and I wouldn't buy the car w/o it. I have an '04 6MT w/ summer tires and over 16k mi. No rattles, vibrations, bugs, creaks or anything other than a solid ride and a solid feel. I believe my model year was the model with the problems b/c that was the 1st year of the redesign. Still, when you test-drive, take it to 45/50 mph and keep it there for a little bit. I think that's when people say the vibration would show up.

The other thing you can do is wait for the '06s. With each year, a car will get a few more kinks out of its system. I think you should feel confident with an '05, but if you want to wait for '06, you can consider the premium you'll pay as "insurance."

Enjoy the ride!!!
    I can understand tinting in Florida or Arizona, but in Northern CA it's not really needed. Plus in CA, there are restrictions on tintning.
  • ed31cincyed31cincy Member Posts: 56
    I have an '04 TL with over 20,000 miles. The tires still have 12-15,000 more on the treads, I would guess.

For heaven's sake, don't buy a TL. You'll hate the blistering acceleration as you are pressed against the firm leather seats, you'll loathe the DVD-Audio system, you'll be upset at a 270-HP sedan that "only" gets 28-32 mpg highway, you'll hate the way the transmission always seems to find the perfect gear in all situations, you won't like the convenience and safety of the Bluetooth handsfree phone, and you'll never hear anyone say how gorgeous your car looks. Stay away from the TL and get an Infiniti G-35 sedan. Let the rest of us suffer through all of the horrors of our magnificent machines! ;)
    LOL !!!

Yes, the TL is pathetic, so pathetic I bought one. :P
    You are going to make me hate my TL after pointing out all the horrible things it brings to my life. Horrible.

Wow...you got 20k miles and looking at 35k? Which brand and model tires do you have? What are your plans for the future of tires? Wait..forgot..I have to get rid of my TL for all the horrible things you mentioned.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I have an '04. No vibration, pulling, or wind noise problem. Wind noise is definitely not a problem. In fact, even my wife has commented on how quiet the car is. I do have some rattle issues. Some, not a lot. Intermittent, temperature-related type rattles. I think probably most of those can be rectified. But because they have not been too intrusive, and, to be honest, I've been too busy and/or lazy, I have yet to ask the dealer to try to fix them.

Is it a perfect car? No. But no car is. However, it is a phenomenal value, and it is just so gosh-darn gorgeous, it could sell on looks alone! :shades: Try that with an Altima, Maxima, or even the G35 sedan.

As someone has suggested, perhaps waiting for the '06 would be added insurance.
    I have a non-NAVI with the standard Bridgestone Turanzas. 75% of my driving is highway, which probably accounts for the low wear. For the most part, I baby this car, and it rewards me with great gas mileage and low tire wear. However, I will probably purchase Michelins when I replace these to get rid of a 45-60 mph vibration. There was a posting from a tire store employee on here a while back that made a pretty strong case for the Michelins. I may drop to an H-rated tire too.
    Great...thanks. I don't have facts...but I bet that the 2004 vibration issues may also originate from the original tires provided. Maybe...as I had that problem with a car back in the 1990s.

Let me know what you discover regarding tires when you start your research. Going to "H" speed rating... That is a drastic drop from the "W" speed ratings. Perhaps go th "V"? Not sure.

Does anyone know if dropping so drastically from a "W" weaken the ability of the stability control or anti-lock brakes? Are the safety devices calibrated to certain speed rating parameters? I understand they are calibrated to tire size certainly.
    I am still debating tinting. So for those that did tint...what brand of tint did you use...what ratio of blackout...and prices paid?

I am still a little uncomfortable as I seen a few luxury cars that are 5 yrs old and the tint is faded and hazy.

Hmmm...still thinking of it.
    I live in Southern California and we went through a heat spell this week. I also drove through the desert to Vegas. These are my thoughts on the AC.

If you leave the AC on automatic climate (where you set it to a certain temp)...initially it doesn't blow too hard or fast. I believe the reason why is that it is also directing air to the back-seat vents (for those that don't know the TL well...there are vents for the back seat passengers).

So what I do now is to start the car....turn on the AC with the temp set at whatever you want it to be later on...then increase the air flow to get more cool air circulating. Once it gets a chance to equalize the temp througout the cabin...then I hit the 'auto climate' control to allow the car to regulate the temp well.

I found the AC to be able to keep me and my passengers cool.
  • rob_passatrob_passat Member Posts: 13
    I much prefer the way my TL gently lowers the temp in the cabin.

In all other cars that I have owned, the automatic AC System blasts me with super cold air until it is satisfied with the interior temperature.

Rob
  • telco59telco59 Member Posts: 16
    I am probably going to get a 2006 TL in November. I already own a 2005 TSX and love it. I know a few people who have a 2004 TL, and they said the gas mileage is not that great for local driving. One friend averaged about 16 miles per gallon. She took it to a shop, and the mechanic said that was normal for the TL.

Has anyone else had experience with poor gas mileage on the TL?
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Member Posts: 309
    DO NOT BUY A 04...

nothing but problems...get a 05 or 06
    Never got below 22mpg....typically 26mpg with 32mpg+ on the highway.

The 16mpg could be numerous reasons. Including miscalculation......accidently resetting the miles after a fill....not filling the tank fully on the previous tank and require more fuel during the measured fill....getting inferior gas (name branded premium is recommended)...etc. What is more confusing it that your friend once averaged 16mpg.

As a point of reference....the G35 gets 16mpg with mixed driving...heard of 14mpg within the city....maxing out at 25mpg highway.
  • telco59telco59 Member Posts: 16
    Thank you.
    So for those that did tint...what brand of tint did you use...what ratio of blackout...and prices paid?

I'm afraid I can't answer your questions. I didn't research tint brands - I trusted the installers, but from having it done on several cars, I believe there are 2 major producers. As far as ratio, they'll be able to show you what the legal limits are (and they'll probably violate those limits if you ask). They'll probably also have displays showing you the various tint. Again, I don't recall the ratios, but 1 was tinted to legal limits (which meant the front, side windows were titnted less than the back and back, side windows), and the ohters were tinted light, but not the lightest you could go.

I'd suggest telling them what your goal is - looking cool, preventing people from looking in, keeping sun out, etc. I believe the metallic tints are the best for looks, privacy and keeping sun out. As stated in a prior post, the metal might interfere with a nav system, though, so if you have a nav system, check on that before getting metallic tint. I use a radar detector, too, but that wouldn't dissuade me frommetal tint. It'd prevent the radar from getting 360 degree signals, but it could still get signals from in front of me.

Also, some people get a strip of tint along the top front mirror. I'd hesitate before doing that - think it looks real bad.

I am still a little uncomfortable as I seen a few luxury cars that are 5 yrs old and the tint is faded and hazy.

Tint will fade over time - there's no denying that. I'd expect you too notice it less in a lightly-tinted car. Ask about fading - maybe metallic tints don't. Also, when some tints fade, they show purplish, and others greenish. Usually, they'll pick a greenish or purplish shade to match the cars pre-existing glass. Lastly, each tint I've gotten came with a warranty. I've never had a car for less than 3 years and never had a tinting problem so I can't vouch for how well they work.

PS - if you use a radar detector, most of these places can also rout your cord directly into the electrical w/o using the lighter socket.
    I have an '04 TL (no problems, thank you) and think that 16 mpg city could be accurate BUT

1. even when city driving, it's subjective. A lot of stops; quick starts 'cause you think it's gonna pick up, only to have to stop short,etc.

2. I know I get lots worse mpg than I shold b/c I'm having a blast practicing my 0-60 times!!!

3. I think the TL low tank light goes on way too early - usually when I have 40 gallons left. If your friend is estimating based on what the handbook says the tank will hold, they're probably not getting an accurate read. She needs to let her computer monitor run for awhile, or look at the actual gas put in the 1st tank, compared to what is put in on the next refill, compared to the # of miles driven.

Hey, TL owners, could we compute this quickly by filling up the tank, looking at "miles to empty" and then dividing by the # of gallons the handbook says the car will take?
  • ceraulicerauli Member Posts: 44
    I have an 04 TL and I am getting 20-21mpg around town and 26-28 highway. Hope this helps. :) I am happy with this for the 270hp fun that comes free with the car!!! :shades:
    When I moved from the suburbs to the city, my mpg dropped by about 3. Now, if I do entirely city driving, I only get 19mpg at the most. And those are on Imperial gallons! :cry: But on the highway, I get at least 31 - 32.
    "I do have some rattle issues.".............."I have yet to ask the dealer to try to fix them."

Don't bother. They only have "it's normal" programed in their vocabulary (LOL).
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684
    Not true. I had a sunroof related rattle (the only one, so far?). There was a TSB on it and dealer fixed it at A1 service.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

If you live in Phoenix or Vegas you want that blast of cold air, NOW!!! :shades:
    Gee, maybe there's a TSB on all my rattles, buzzes and vibrations. I'll call my dealer (LOL).
  • usntl05usntl05 Member Posts: 8
    You know I purchased my car right before I deployed, its a 05/NAV, and I only drove it 2 days, but I been admiring the car since 03, and when the new 04 came out, I was only wishing to but the car, and test drove it at the end of 04, and since I joined this site, just for some info, I been seeing people SLAM the car, and I have been like O my God what have I done, but it always good to hear some positive input. I guess all n all you heed what applies if your vehicle is running good than great, if not.. well. it happens. I am still happy with my purchase and still like the vehicle very much. for the buck and technology.
    :) :shades:
  • usntl05usntl05 Member Posts: 8
    There are VENTS in the BACK???? Why dont people tell me these things!!!!!
    I am calling the DEALERSHIP!!!
    LOL
    LOL - they're behind the center stack. Not sure if you can turn them off or not.
    Yes...you can turn them off so they don't blow in the back area. But the dial controlled by the back seat passengers (that is...the dial is near the air vents) so that means that the air flow is still going to the back seats...but it blocked...and minimal additional air flow for the front passengers.

Either way...if you want more air flow...just pump up the flow initially...then hit the 'auto climate' for a nice regulated temperature.
    it's really not a problem for me. I generally have my temp set btn 70 & 73. If my car's been out in the sun and is closer to 85 inside the car, the a/c automatically kicks into high gear. The only thing I do is that if it's hotter in the car than out, I set it to bring in outside air, rather than recirculate inside air.

I rarely bother adjusting the fan speed or temp.
    Well, don't buy my '04, it's not for sale. :P

20K miles of trouble free driving.

Generalities like "don't buy...nothing but problems" are pointless, as it applies only your circumstance.
    I really like about my '04 Tl is the voice command (female) voice. I call her Trixie and she's got a sexy voice. The voice for Bluetooth is similar but she's more business-like with a greater sense of urgency to her.

(Thought I'd post something positive on this forum. No, I am married and not lonely (LOL).
    Does 'Trixie' also appear in the form of an airbag? :P
    If she did, she would have dual "airbags"! :P
  • smithdrgssmithdrgs Member Posts: 22
    Have an 05 acura TL with dark charcoal leather seats. they were flat finish and not glossy. had a spot to clean on one so I use turtle wax 2001 cleaner and conditioner with UV protection- bright green bottle. Should have spot tested it first. so the seat got all glossy, so i had to do the whole interior to match. Not only do i not like it as much, the dash now shines off the windshield. Will this fade? How can i reverse it? how do i fix the dash? what is a good cleaner/protectant with a flat finish.? thanks
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Member Posts: 309
    Right back to you.... your opinion applies only to you!

Generally speaking, the 2004 tl is riddled with problems...read the posts.
    To be fair, I think some of the 2004s are riddled with problems. Aside from relatively minor rattles, my '04 has been trouble-free.
    Generally speaking, the 2004 tl is riddled with problems...read the posts.

You indicate to read the posts to support the concept that there are problems. Well...most of the posts you are referring to were posted by yourself. Sure...there were multiple posts indicating issues...but the majority originated from yourself.

The TL may not be troublefree...as no mechanical or electronic item is. But it sure has a heck of a better track record than many other vehicles...and Consumer Reports attests to such. As for my 2005 TL...I have had no issues. From what I have read...not much going with others.

So perhaps right back to you...your opinion applies only to you. You are in the minority.
  • revrasrevras Member Posts: 63
    take this car for a long test drive over various pavement surfaces before you buy or lease .In my opinion it does not have a smooth ride, my 2005 jiggled over any uneven surface. Coming from a 2001 Audi, I am used to road feel, but this car has very poor damping. My car also had rattles galor. In addition I found the hi c pillars to be a road hazard in terms of providing very poor visibility from the cockpit. I felt the seats were hard and unforgiving as well. In terms of good points, the engine is superb and so is the audio. I just felt that for 34k you should get more than a rocket on wheels with a good stereo.
    Boy, you sure state your point a lot better than I did!
    Nice post and happy TL-ing! :)