Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mleventhmleventh Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2006 tl puchased in July and am having the same issue with the rear defrost. I have 13 mile commute and the Rear window has not been defrosted by the time I am at work. That seems odd to me. It works somewhat but definately very slow. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I've had my car for 2 1/2 years, but until recently I have not noticed it not working properly. Did you notice if yours has had this problem from day 1?
  • camoncamon Member Posts: 98
    I read about a rear window defrost problem with some 05TLs with navigation units. I don't know if it applies to other years. Here is the link to the bulletin.
    http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1339999&postcount=37
    Yup, you beat me to the punch. I had just gone back and re-read the same Service Bulletin. Now I know my rear defrost is dead, and is related to my outside temp display going blank. I would bet that TLs in other years are also affected, since it's the same Nav unit. The problem probably came to light in the '05 model year. But there were many posts from owners quite early on about their TLs mysteriously getting dead batteries, or outside temp display going blank.

mleventh: does your TL show any of the other symptoms? You should get the defrost checked out. You may have the same problem related to the Navigation unit.
    Is it safe to jump start the TL? I've heard it's a no no on the newer cars, due to the amount of electronic component onboard. But I still see AAA do it all the time. So, is that an urban myth?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I had my 99 TL jump started by some guy in a tow truck who answered all of my questions with four words or fewer in a voice that was hardly audible. He used one of those thingies, not another car, though. Would that matter?

Anyway, no harm done. New battery purchased. :blush:

What annoyed me was that I had no warning whatsoever. Everything in the car worked except suddenly it wouldn't start and it hadn't even hinted at that previously. It was the dead of winter and the battery was a little over 5 years old, so it was time, but it would have been nice if the danged car had said hey, I need something here!!

Fortunately this happened at home and I was not stranded somewhere. :D
    "He used one of those thingies,"

You mean a powerpack? I heard all the AAA, or CAA tow trucks carry those.

In my case, I can't claim I had no warning, I'm ashamed to admit. I had the outside temp display go blank, then the rear defrost go dead. I had even pulled the Acura Service Bulletin off the internet which described all those symptoms as caused by the navigation unit draining the battery, and warned that battery failure could also occur. I guess I was too smug to heed the warning. What I should have realized was that my battery hadn't died because I was using the car daily. But lo and behold, I didn't use the car on the weekend for 2 days straight. I walked into the garage this morning, noticed the alarm LED was no longer flashing, and the car wouldn't unlock using the remote, and realized I was in trouble! :sick: So, I guess my punishment for being too smug is having to push the car out of the garage and call for a CAA visit tomorrow morning. :cry:
  • kennyg8kennyg8 Member Posts: 225
    I think a volt/amp meter should have come with the car so that we can better monitor the juice in the battery. How expensive can the meter be? I think it would cost no more than $20. For a $35k car, it is well worth it, and it takes away the guess work and the need to interpret obscure warnings. I don't have AAA (yet), but I think a battery jump is covered by Acura's roadside asst. program (for 4 years?) BTW, is our battery maintenance free? Do I have to add distilled water now and then? Sorry for asking and not reading the owner's manual (my TL is only a couple of months old).
    As far as I know, the battery is maintenance-free. And you're right, I'm covered under Acura Roadside for a battery jump, but my experience is that they sub out the service to a tow truck operator anyway. And my dealer said nothing wrong with using AAA/CAA. He said those guys are qualified mechanics.
    When you open the hood, near the front corners are two holes, labelled with a half-circle double-pointed arrow, "up" on one end, and "down" at the other. I'm pretty certain those are for adjusting the headlights up or down. However, I couldn't find any reference in the Manual (unless I somehow missed it) that tells you what type of screwdriver to use, and/or how much to crank it in either direction. Does anyone know where the information is?
  • bdemarrbdemarr Member Posts: 25
    This is unrelated, but I have an 04 TL and got a woppin' 24 months off of my battery, and then DEAD. The norm with previous Honda's I have had is 36 months. Unfortunately I was not near a dealer (of course) and put an after market battery in it. However, it is 3 years covered for 100% and pro-rated after that...not bad for $70...
  • mleventhmleventh Member Posts: 3
    The Nav seems fine but when I have it serviced I will have them check that out. Thank you very much. I would of never thought that the two could be connected. mleventh
    The Nav unit itself will continue to work fine. But apparently it creates a parasitic power draw which results in the other symptoms, and eventually to a dead battery, which was what happened to me. :cry: Check out the Service Bulletin in the link posted by camon in post #4436.
  • holvee2holvee2 Member Posts: 1
    I too have continual squeeks in my dash. They drive me absolutely crazy! I only have 2000 miles on my car and I've had it in twice already to fix and plan on taking it in again. It'll be fine once I pick it up and I'll love my car again, then about a week later it starts again. They tell me that they just put cloth on the contact points to fix it.
  • manmountainmanmountain Member Posts: 44
    I have an 04 TL with 75,000 ks on it. When I got it, I had squeaks from the right hand side of the dash. The dealer disassembled the glove box several times and it didn't help. But at around 10,000 ks, it just went away and the car is tighter now than when it was new. Go figure...
  • mi2kshopmi2kshop Member Posts: 19
    I am considering buying a 03 TL with 44k miles. When I looked up consumers reports I was surprised to see the transmission rated as dark black circle (the worst possible rating). Then I discovered a trans related recall. Here is what I read at one place:

2003 ACURA 3.2TL POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
    Recall Date: 04/15/2004

Summary:
    ON SOME MINI VANS, SPORT UTILITY AND PASSENGER VEHICLES, CERTAIN OPERATING CONDITIONS CAN RESULT IN HEAT BUILD-UP BETWEEN THE COUNTERSHAFT AND SECONDARY SHAFT SECOND GEARS IN THE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, EVENTUALLY LEADING TO GEAR TOOTH CHIPPING OR GEAR BREAKAGE.

Consequence:
    GEAR FAILURE COULD RESULT IN TRANSMISSION LOCKUP, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.

Remedy:
    ON VEHICLES WITH 15,000 MILES OR LESS, THE DEALER WILL UPDATE THE TRANSMISSION WITH A SIMPLE REVISION TO THE OIL COOLER RETURN LINE TO INCREASE LUBRICATION TO THE SECOND GEAR. ON VEHICLES WITH MORE THAN 15,000 MILES, THE DEALER WILL INSPECT THE TRANSMISSION TO IDENTIFY GEARS THAT HAVE ALREADY EXPERIENCED DISCOLORATION DUE TO OVERHEATING. IF DISCOLORATION EXISTS, THE TRANSMISSION WILL BE REPLACED IF DISCOLORATION IS NOT PRESENT, THE DEALER WILL PERFORM THE REVISION TO THE OIL COOLER RETURN LINE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON APRIL 21, 2004, FOR PILOT, ODYSSEY, AND MDX OWNERS. OWNERS OF THE ACCORD VEHICLES WILL START RECEIVING LETTERS ON JUNE 28, 2004, AND ON JUNE 29, 2004, FOR OWNERS OF THE TL AND CL VEHICLES. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009 OR ACURA AT 1-800-382-2238.

Potential Units Affected: 1099796

Notes: ACURA 3.2TL P30/P31

What has your experience been with this problem and the recall? Has the recall taken care of the problem, and has Acura been forthcoming in fixing this problem?
  • manmountainmanmountain Member Posts: 44
    A colleague of mine has an 01 and had the transmission replaced at about 110ks, under the recall and he also had an extended warranty. He was very pleased with how Acura Canada dealt with him and that was one of the reasons I bought my first Acura in 04.
  • mdiver65mdiver65 Member Posts: 31
    Hi all,

I plan on trading in my 1999 TL in about 6 months (5,000 miles or so). Would you even get the 60,000 mile service done other than the basics? I hope that doesn't sound bad but all my friends recommend not even doing it. Dealers don't check service records, you won't get your $$ back, etc. is what they say. Any thoughts??

Thanks for any info you can provide!!

Mark

PS I've been quoted $450-$700 for the service by dealers here in Phoenix. If I should do it, are there any other recommendations out there?
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Change the oil - forget the rest -

What exactly do you get for $700 these days anyway?

When you trade the car in they will pull the dipstick and see how clean the oil is - that's about it.
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    I would not waste $$ on doing anything. The dealer will not reimburse you for your out of pocket and will not increase the value of your trade in a significant way.

If you are compelled to do something, I suggest doing the oil- and that's it.
    I also agree that it is unnecessary for you to spend $600 and all you need to do is change the oil. However, I would also suggest that you wax and clean (detail) the car inside and out so that it looks presentable. This will cost you no more than $100, and in case the dealer lowballs you on the trade, you still have a clean looking car for sale to a private party.
  • mdiver65mdiver65 Member Posts: 31
    Thanks for all the above replies to my question. No question now I don't need to take it in (except for the oil change, etc)!

Thanks again..

Mark
  • bdemarrbdemarr Member Posts: 25
    Yup, I had the same thing happen to me with the battery in my '04 TL, no warning at all. I left my house in the AM-all is well, stopped to get gas near my work, and it wouldn't re-start! All was dead.. HUH? I couldn't believe it either-24 months off of a factory battery is pretty pathetic in my opinion...
  • silver25silver25 Member Posts: 2
    I've purchased new '97,'99, '03 Type S and '06 TLs. I've never had an iota of trouble with any of them.

The '03 Type S occasionally acted as though it wanted to shift while it was in sport mode and I was shifting manually. It didn't act like this when accelerating, either in automatic, or in sport mode, only if I was loafing along while in sport mode.

I received a recall notice from the factory in the mail and had the '03 automatic transmisssion modified per the recall and received a 70,000 mile warranty.

As I remember under the recall, transmissions with less than 15,000 miles were modified by installing an oiling kit which supplies extra oil to help cool second gear. Transmissions with over 15,000 miles were inspected for signs of burning, gear brindling, etc., and if no sign of damage they were retrofitted with the oiling kit, as was done to mine. Damaged transmissions were replaced with factory units and received a 70,000 mile warranty.
    Yesterday, I went to start up my 05 TL and the car wouldn't start. I called Acura Roadside and within 40 minutes the tech came and jump started my car. Afterwards, I went straight to the closest Acura dealership in Tampa and missed the service guys by 20 minutes but did leave the car there. I plan on going there early tomorrow morning.
    I read the TSB about the Navi draining power from the battery after the car is shut off. Those of you that have had this problem- What should I expect from the service advisor? Any suggestions as to how I should approach him/her?
    Any help or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    ggseq:

Please follow up when you get word from your service dept. about the cause of your dead battery.
  • pack14pack14 Member Posts: 5
    I also have a 05 TL which suffered from Navigation System drawing power after the ignition was turned-off. This problem did require me to get a jump-start couple of times. However, there were several noticeable other problems associated with the battery problem. The Outdoor Temperature Indicator would read ---. The preset programs for the seat, radio settings, and heater temperatures would be lost. When I received the Service Bulletin, I returned my car back to the dealer. They had to remove the Navigation Unit to install the part called for in the service bulletin. The whole process took about 3 hours. I have been fortunate in that even though the Nav Unit was removed and replaced, I have noticed no rattles. Since I've had procedure done, I haven't had any problems with the car at all.
  • steviebstevieb Member Posts: 6
    I’ve had my 2007 TL Type S for a little over 4 weeks now, and while I really want to love it, I have to say I have some serious reservations. Just curious if any other owners can relate to this. The issue I have is with a combination of the transmission and the brakes. The brakes are fairly touchy; this in combination with the transmission, which will sometimes very noticeably downshift when trying to come to a stop or slowing down, can make it difficult to stop smoothly. When I say the transmission will downshift, I mean very similar to a car with a manual transmission where you intentionally downshift to take advantage of the engine braking to help slow the car down. Incidentally, this is with the transmission in the full automatic mode; not manual. Another part of the problem is it doesn’t seem to consistently do this. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn’t. I haven’t been able to correlate and predict when this is going to happen. Consequently, I can be trying to slow down to come to a stop and I’m going easy on the brakes to prevent them from grabbing too hard and wham, the tranny decides to downshift to a lower gear and suddenly you’re feeling the “chuggling’ grabby slow-down from the tranny downshifting and the engine braking effect. I can’t say I was really aware of this during my test drive, but then we’re only talking a 20 minute ride where you’re being overwhelmed by just about everything in a car you aren’t familiar with.

Does this seem like a problem with my particular vehicle, or is this common with this car? I plan on having it checked out thoroughly when I take it in for service, but am looking for any other owner’s feedback prior.
    bartalk3,

I received a call from my service advisor this morning. I told him about my problem with the battery. I also told him to look into whether or not the Navi was draining power from the battery. He called me back two hours later and told me that it was just a bad battery and it did not want to hold a charge. I am getting full replacement for the battery- no out of pocket.
    There was a TSB out for this issue as well. Acura had received a bad batch of batteries and installed them in 05 TL's. When I looked up my VIN- it didn't fall into the affected vehicles :confuse:
    Oh well- I'm just glad they didn't have to go into the dash to take the Navi out. :D
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    ggesq: Thanks for the folowup on the dead battery. A friend of mine has an '05 TL and had a dead battery problem once. Other than that, absolutely no problems. I have an '06 TL, and so far it's been bullet proof (except for a squeaky passenger seat, which the dealer tried to fix briefly and then just pulled a passenger seat from a brand new car and put it in my car.) I assume he didn't put my sqeaky seat into the new car.
    follow up:

Just picked up the car this evening. The universe is in sinc-for me- again ;)
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Does anyone know why - when you are in sport shift mode - Acura programed the tranny to automatically shift from 1st to 2nd gear?

They could have at least given me the option to over ride this "feature".
    It's kind of ironic that you were the one that had kindly given me the heads-up on the TSB on the Navi power drain issue. ;) As Pack14 said in Post #4460, the Navi power drain problem would be accompanied by other symptoms, including the outside temp display going blank, and an inoperative rear defrost, both of which I had.

They installed some part behind the Navi unit for me, and so far so good...

But if yours show no other symptom, then perhaps it is just a defective battery.
  • camoncamon Member Posts: 98
    When you notice the braking problem, check to see if you are going downhill while applying the brakes. The transmissions have a "grade logic" sensor that will downshift quickly if you are on a down-grade and you apply the brakes, even lightly.

I find that with my 05 TL, what you described happens on occasion, especially while going downhill. I feel that the brakes are way too sensitive in the late model TL's compared to my 00 TL. I wish Acura would back-off the brake assist a bit. I too find it difficult to come to a smooth stop when braking while driving "sportily".
  • steviebstevieb Member Posts: 6
    carmon-
    Thanks for the feedback, although I can't necessarily say it only does it when going downhill. I can be on pretty level ground and it will happen, although not always consistently. I find it tends to happen more once the car has fully warmed-up.

I can deal with the touchy brakes; it's just this downshift/engine braking that just makes it worse.
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    "I wish Acura would back-off the brake assist a bit. I too find it difficult to come to a smooth stop when braking while driving 'sportily'."

lol... I have the opposite opinion.
    I drive an 06 MDX and when I first started driving it, I found the brakes WAY too touchy.

I'm now very used to them, and can come to a comfortable stop without any jerkiness.
    When I drop it off for oil changes and get a loaner, I always get the TL.
    The brakes are very much the same and I find them to be just how I like them.

Now, my wife has a 00 Honda Accord.
    I haven't driven it in over a year.
    I got in that one day to move it and almost drove into the garage door... had to stand on the brakes to stop it.

I'm now used to Acura's brakes and love them.
    The brakes on the Honda are too much like work.
    I could accidentally burn a calorie while slowing the car down. :P
  • dap2006dap2006 Member Posts: 68
    First let me say I love my '06 TL :) - great bang for the buck and I've had only minor rattles and the quirky outside temp gauge, which is a little annoying. :(

I thought I had avoided the faded dash problem but then I noticed it was getting blotchy and chalky :sick: . I've tried several high-end products without success so I asked the dealer about it when I took it in for it's second service (9.2K miles). He asked me to bring it back in next week so they can dye the dash - he said they've done it on many TL's and it fixes the problem. Has anyone else had this done? I'm game but I hadn't heard this idea floated before - I like the idea of avoiding replacing the dash, given the tendancy for rattles. Thoughts?? :confuse:
  • meateatermeateater Member Posts: 123
    Is your car garaged? Have you used Windex on the dash by mistake (can make the dash blotchy)? Is it really that 'chalky' or is it just dirty?

I have no problems with my 06 TL's dash. Every few months I'll hit it with Turtle Wax Super Protectant for the hell of it, but I'll do 2-3 light coats instead of trying to do one 'wet' coat - which can lead to the blotches.
    I also have an 06 TL. Although I don't have chalky or fading dash problems (perhaps because the car is garaged), I do see the outline of the airbag showing through the dash. Is this normal for TLs?
  • dap2006dap2006 Member Posts: 68
    Yes, my car is garaged - almost all this time, in fact, as my wife drives it and she works at home. That's one reason I'm so surprised it's deteriorated so quickly - it leads a pampered life :blush: .

And no, I've never got Windex on the dash. I'm pretty fanatical about keeping it clean and looking sharp - dirt is definitely not a problem.

If you haven't had the problem yet, good luck. Keep an eye on the forward area next to the glass where it's hard to reach with whatever products you're using - chances are that's where it'll first appear.
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    This is very common on the TLs and I see it all too often when I look at them in parking lots and such.

It's caused by a chemical release from the materials used within the dash.
    The normal symptoms are a faded looking chalky dash, and the ring around the passenger airbag is usually the first symptom.... expect your dash to get worse.

I know that Acura has a special cleaner that the service guys use to bring the dash back to new....but expect the dash to fade again, until all of those chemicals have burned off for good.

I have NOT heard of having the dash dyed, and I'd be very cautious about that idea.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    Hi, Kenny:

I have an '05, dash "faded" and airbag outline is visible. At one of the dealer services, they cleaned up the dash, it looked new again. But it has "faded" a bit again and the airbag outline is visible. Not a big deal, but a shame...

I think I've developed a buzz in my driver-side sun visor. Only when it is locked in the "not using" position (normal) and not consistent. Can't find the cause yet. Anybody else?

This is the second buzz/rattle in the almost two years I've owned. First was from sunroof area, dealer replaced the wind screen and problem went away...

Other than these issues, fab car!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• greggrobgreggrob Member Posts: 16
    I went to my dealership and complained about the dash fading on my 06' TL. They sent me to the parts department and gave me (for free) the chemical spray the detailers use. They told me Acura took a year developing the product. Before the product development, they were replacing dashes when people complained. They don't tell you about it, but you can ask for a can in parts, to deal with the problem. They will replace the can for as long as you own the car. I have to use it about every two months. Looks as good as new once applied.
  • vveeraravveerara Member Posts: 4
    At ~2500 miles, still have the problem. It only happens one time when I first start the car after it has been shut off for a few hours, happens within the first .1 mile for the most part, from the first to neutral for the most part, and always when I am either decelerating towards a stop sign or light. I still can't reproduce the problem and it never happens after I drive a mile or so. I replaced the transmission fluid with the new one that Acura is recommending. Any clues?

Thanks
    After they fixed the power-drain problem, where they had to remove the navi from the dash, the door for the little storage compactment directly under the stereo now makes a rattly noise under certain conditions. Has anyone else had this problem and have been successful in fixing it?

BTW, my glove-box door started rattling again, which is driving me nuts, because this rattle is much more pronounced that the one described above. (I fixed it, for the most part, last year by putting self-adhesive felt strips along the edge of the opening, but I guess it's not a permanent solution) I'll have to ask the dealer to remove and reassemble the door, or put in a new door. I'll give them one more chance at it. If that doesn't work, I'm going to trade it for an X3 in the Spring! I cannot put up with rattles. :mad:
    Bodble, sorry to hear about your rattles. I have mine too, but they seem to come and go, and return unannounced and disappear again. :confuse: The TL is a good car, but for the rattles, and I usually try to drown them out with the excellent audio system. :(
    Mine more or less come and go too --- depending on the outside temperature. The glove box door rattle seems to be a "winter rattle". :cry:
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    My sister has an 00' millenia ans=d i'm trying to convince her the tl is her best choice, not a camry. She may not like the camrys overly quiet/soft ride but if the tl'[s brakes are as touch as ytou say, its something she wont need to get used to, That millenia stops on a dime! i hate to drive it because they stop the car to quick. Its like the only way to accelerate off a hill is to spin the tires.

Miami only has a few hills but how is the tl in hilly areas? Planning on moving to atlanta

-cj :confuse:
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Member Posts: 309
    Yes...thank god for the sound system...it masks a symphony of rattles
  • pfitzgeraldpfitzgerald Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2004 Acura TL. I really like it but it's been exhibiting some strange behavior. Yesterday the back driver's side window opened by itself. Today it seems to think that the back passenger door is open, even if it is closed. If I turn the car off, it still thinks the back door is open and keeps the interior lights on.

If I put on my seat belt, it then thinks the back passenger door is closed. In order to get the interior lights to go out I have to buckle my seatbelt after I turn off the car.

It seems like it is some sort of sensor issue but it's sort of freaky. I think I'm being visited by the ghost of my recently retired Ford Explorer.