Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• dmeetridmeetri Member Posts: 17
    i did hear when i was a kid that you have to drive a new car slowly (break-in period) for about 3000 miles or so....Does that theory still applies to new cars ??? I just bought a Acura TL S Type, although i am not a fast or a rash driver, i still want to know if that (break-in period) still applies to new cars ???
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It's not like it used to be. Just drive normally and don't do anything extreme like redlining the engine for at least 1000 miles or so, and don't track the car. But you don't have to pussyfoot the gas pedal, no, by no means. Vary your speeds and even hit the pedal hard in the mid-range....just stay out of extreme revs for a bit.
  • dmeetridmeetri Member Posts: 17
    thanks alot
  • t2029t2029 Member Posts: 8
    Hello,

I posted my question last year and didn't get much luck. So let me try again.

My 03 TL(16K) makes buzzing/humming noise while it is off. It does that every 5 minutes, comparing to every 15 minutes last year. It sounds just like any cell phone vibrates in vibration mode. The car does it intermitly and it seems it does it more often during hot days. The dealership says it can be part of fuel vacc system. But I take off the fuel cap and it still makes the same noise. The dealership also put some isolation around the fuel canister, but that didn't help. Any suggestion? Thanks in advance.

Eric
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    My Jeep Grand Cherokee did this as well.
    Shut the engine off after it's hot, and it would make buzzing noises that lasted about one second each, buzzed about once every 5 seconds, and lasted about 10 to 15 minutes.
    I was told that it was part of the vacuum system, and completely normal.
    I, unfortunately, don't know if this is the same thing in the 03 TL.
  • demikkdemikk Member Posts: 9
    Congrats on the new S, I got mine Monday Kinetic Blue, the service manager I spoke with did say the fisrt 200 miles no off line hard exceleration and no hard braking until after 600 miles unless you have to. How did you do on $
  • t2029t2029 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the info. Mine is a little different. Turn the car off after it's hot, it buzzes for 3-5 seconds every 5 minutes and it lasts forever. I can hear it in the morning after parking the car in my garage overnight. Very strange.
    Buzzes all night???
    No, that isn't normal. :confuse:
  • ecnirpecnirp Member Posts: 20
    Suddenly I have 2 electrical problems on my 06 TL with Nav.

The auto dimming feature on the Rear View mirror will not turn on and the car does not "Chirp" when I press the lock button a few times on the remote.

Does anyone know if these problems could be related? Do they share something electronically?

I'll be calling the Acura dealer tomorrow to discuss but thought I could check here with the better informed. :)
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    There's a button on the mirror for you to turn the auto-dimming feature on and off. And the "chirp" or "beep" can be unabled or disabled thru the multi-information display feature on the dash.
  • chkntonychkntony Member Posts: 38
    I went to the dealer for 3 times now, including today.
    First they couldn't find out what the problem was,
    second time they replaced the wrong one,
    third time, they said the wire under the dash board wasn't secured but after while, it still rattles.
    I have to drive almost 40miles to the dealer AGAIN!!
    ANYONE PLEASE tell me what to do if you got fixed...

If i push it down just a little bit over the front center speaker, the rattle stops..
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149229&highlight=rattle

you can also check the problems sections for the 3G TL on this site and investigate further.
  • ecnirpecnirp Member Posts: 20
    Thanks. I'll check the MID for the chirp.

I tried the on/off button on the mirror but it wouldn't turn on. I'll give the local Acura dealership a call.
  • greenacuragreenacura Member Posts: 42
    My 2007 TL is at the dealer right now. The service indicator came on b/c the oil life was at less than 10%. The dealer said the maint. reminder was indicating A1 service which includes a tire rotation ($49.99!). I find it hard to beleive the A1 service is due with only 4,470 miles on the car. Does anyone else know about the first service? Is an A1 truely due or is it just an oil change. I've asked the dealer to leave the service reminder un-reset so they can show me when I pick up the car.
  • carteachcarteach Member Posts: 179
    I have an '06 TL with 5500 miles on it. The dealer told me that I should ahve come in when the car had 2500 for an oil change even though a. they didn't tell me and b. my oil life was at 60%. My oil life right now says 30%; do I don't know why your oil life went down so quickly.
  • jkm900jkm900 Member Posts: 18
    It all depends on how you drive your car. If you drive it hard with quick starts and stops its going to drain the life of your oil much faster. However, average driving the oil should last for around 7000 miles.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,723
    Hi, Mark: Direct Tire will do oil change w/tire rotation & balance for $30-$40 w/coupon (check their webite or Shaws card). No car wash, though... I use 'em for my basic services if I have no warranty work to do.

As previously written, if you drive the TL in town, your services will come earlier. Mine are about 7000 miles apart for my '05 TL so far (~28,000 miles).

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• levi1levi1 Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2006 TL (no nav) with 12,000 miles. I love the car, but I'm plagued by a few of the common rattles/noises. I have an appointment on Wednesday to take it in. I know my issues are common, so I'm wondering if anybody has the TSBs associated with them? I've figured out how to duplicate all the sounds as I want to be prepared with that and the TSBs so I don't have to hear "noise cannot be duplicated" or "we don't know anything about this issue - no TSB."

1. Rear speaker/subwoofer rattle when playing songs with bass - is this TSB 04-043 or is there a newer/different one? If it is that one, I found it. If there is a different one, can somebody please post it?

2. Rattle coming from steering column area when driving on rough roads. Luckly I've figured out how to duplicate this by holding the left center side of the steering wheel tight and hitting the right center side of the steering wheel with the palm of my hand. I've read in a few forums that there is a TSB related to the airbag assembly that's supposed to fix this, but haven't found the actual TSB. Does anybody have this?

3. Creaking noise coming from driver's window when closed. I've read about this issue on a few forums as well and apparently there is a TSB about packing the window channel with more foam or something? Is there a TSB on this one?

I also have headlights that aren't aligned. When I've looked in my rearview mirror at other TLs driving behind me, they weren't like this. That should be easy to fix.

My steering wheel shakes pretty hard when I apply the brakes at highway speeds, which started around 8,000 miles. I assume this is a defective or warped rotor?

And finally (I hope), the driver's seat makes a popping noise when getting out of the car. If you're sitting in the seat facing forward, it's the part of the seat to the left of your left thigh that pops as it's pushed on when getting out of the car. Anybody familiar with this?

Thanks in advance!
  • carteachcarteach Member Posts: 179
    I think I posted these before. But I'm going to try again. I feel as if I have excessive wind noise. My 2002 Saab 5 was supposed to known for road noise etc. My Acura is far noisier. What could be wrong that I have it?? It's not road noise either... which I have too.

I also have blue tooth issues which have gotten worse over time. My blue tooth doesn't recognize a lot of my commands. I shout up toward the mike; but it doesn't get the right name. I also have had friends complain that sometimes when I speak... and only when I speak... there is a static like noise around me. And they complain that I don't come through loud and clear no matter how loud I speak.

I'd love to have some comments from people on this forum. My car is going in next Friday.

Thanks in advance.

Oh... I do have some rattles over rough spots. I haven't even dealth with those.
  • animalsrushanimalsrush Member Posts: 62
    If you drive for short distances the indiicator pops up much quicker. My minder came on at 4590 miles. I didn't rotate the tires with the dealer, just got the oil changed
    Thank you for the responces about early oil changes. Here is my issue, the dealer I purchased the car at provides free replacement tires and a powertrain warrenty as long as you own the car. This is my third TL so I know they go thru tires quickly. In order to obtain the free tires, you need to have all your maint. done by the dealer (according to the maint. reminder in the TL). When I purchased the car I thought it was a great program but if they charge expensive tire rotations ($49.99) and oil changes ($25.99) would I save money by doing my service else where and buying new tires myself?
    That's the calculation you'll have to make. As I noted, you can get the oil change/tire roatation & balance at Direct tire for about the same price as the rotation at the dealer. Also, what brand/style of "free" replacement tires? Does the dealer (mine is Acura of Boston) have coupons for services, either on-line or mailed/emailed to you?

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Dear laurasdada: Yes, the dealer (First Acura) replaces the tire with the original brand/size/style. I had purchased 3 Acura's at Acura of Boston but I had too many service problems to continue servicing my car there (no loaners, long waits for service, numerous warrenty repairs done incorrectly, lastly one brake job done incorrectly that left me stranded twice). Also, I shopped Herb Connley, Peabody Acura & Clair, they were all the same price bu Acura of Boston was $2,000 higher for my 2007 TL. Thanks for the update about Direct Tire, they are greatI purchased my replacement tire thru them.
    "I feel as if I have excessive wind noise."

Have you tried adjusting your diet? :P

OK, sorry, but I couldn't resist! ;)

Seriously now, regarding bluetooth and command recognition, for awhile there I had trouble getting the voice command to react correctly when I asked it to turn on AC and radio. Then I discovered that I was speaking too slowly. I found that if I spoke at a normal speed it would recognize it.
    I, too, shopped Clair and intended to buy there. The price for my '05 TL was good, but the trade value for my '99 300M was way too low, they wouldn't budge. Ok, they know their business, no hard feelings. A of B, after a bit of haggling, gave me a slightly better price on the TL and 50% more for my M. Sold.

As for service at A of B, I give them a C- so far. Very friendly service advisors, no problem with loaners (although the loaner NSX always seems to have just left the lot as I arrive! :surprise: ) and "free" washes. However, for the two rattles I've had, they've each required two visits to fix. Both times they wrote it up as resolved after the first visit. And after one service and wash, they parked my Abyss Blue TL under a tree, which the birds certainly enjoyed... :cry:

I've only used A of B for service when I've had the warranty work done. For the routine services, Direct Tire. If your company is a member of "Buy America" even better Direct Tire discounts...

For future dealer services, I may ask if Clair would like a shot. I had a good experience there, but they just wanted a bit too much of my money at the purchase.

Good luck and enjoy the TL!

• tonyrubinotonyrubino Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 06 TL w/ nav approx 10 months ago. 5 months into owning it I went to start it when leaving work and the battery was dead. Called acura they came picked it up and next day told me the battery was bad. Yesterday, 5 months later I drive from naples to miami. Go in the house come out after changing and car is barely cranking, then it just looses all power. Called acura they came to pick it up and it started right up????? They took it to acura and this morning I get a call saying the battery had a bad cell. This is battery # 2 in 10 months, I told them I thought it was highly unlikely that I would get 2 bad brand new batteries in a row. They said they couldnt find anything else wrong. Anyone ever have this problem? There were no signs that the car would lose power such as low headlights, loss of settings etc.
  • bdemarrbdemarr Member Posts: 25
    I have an '04 that had a similar problem. My factory battery didn't quite make 24 months. I bought a Walmart battery for convienience. Screw the long drive to Acura or waiting on a tow. Paid $65 and free replacement within 2 years, pro rated up to 72 months. Tough to beat in my opinion. Good luck!
    I had a dead batter in my '04 after parking it over a long weekend. But in my case the problem was related to the Nav unit draining the battery. In my case, there were telltale signs beforehand such as the outside temp readout going blank, and the rear defroster stopped working.
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    Sounds like the Navi draining power to me. There is a specific TSB for it.

I had a similar problem on my 05. However, there was a recall on some 05 batteries. So far my new battery is doing just fine after 10k miles. Thankfully, it was not the navi draining power but I had the dealer check it anyway. I really did not want the dealer taking apart my dash to replace the damaged Navi/part.
  • claypoolclaypool Member Posts: 1
  • jvettejvette Member Posts: 70
    I have a 2007 TL with Navi and when we first looked at the car the battery was dead. Then at about 700 miles and less than a month old it wouldn't start and was towed in for repairs. They also said they checked everything and there was a dead cell in the battery and replaced it. So far 2 months later and now 1400 miles everything has been ok. Pretty much looks like crap batteries.
  • valveguy1valveguy1 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2005TL and just hit 24,000 miles. Noticed the rear rotors were rusty and the surface had irruglar grooves in them. Took it to the dealer who said it was normal and may be do to road salt getting in there. Says I will need new pads in around 5-6000 thousands miles. 30,000 on rear brakes sounds pretty poor. Havy you had a similar experience.
    Rotors rust, just a fact of life.
    Drive your car through some puddles and then park it for a few days.... surface rust.

Over time, they will also show signs of grooving, but if these are just surface grooves, there may not be anything to worry about.
    If the rotors still run true and you do not feel pulsing in the pedal or steering wheel, there should be no need for turning them. A simple replacement of the pads will do.
    Personally, I turn my rotors when I replace the pads and then when the get below tolerances, I replace the rotors as well.

How often brakes need work is directly related to how someone drives.
    I had a Toyota Tacoma MT and with 75,000 miles on it, it never needed brakes.
    I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited AT and it needed brakes every 30,000.

Depends on the driver, type of driving and how the brakes are used.

I love watching people drive uphill with their brake lights on. :confuse:
  • armanipatrickarmanipatrick Member Posts: 37
    I had a dead battery too this weekend.
    I didn't drive the car for 2 days. On the 3rd day went to the garage to show-off my shiny new 2007 TL w/navi to the inlaws. I was able to unlock the door but that's it. The battery had no juice left. Headlights and all other internal lights were off. Called Acura Roadside Assistance. They sent AAA (I think) -- some kid with a jump box.
    Dead cell? Navi draining power? Who knows, I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow.

Btw, the first couple of times the AAA guy jumped the car it didn't work. The entire electronic smorgasbord in front of me burped each time. Is that a bad thing? I certainly cringed when that happened. It's my first electronics-laden car.

Thanks.
  • financebuzzfinancebuzz Member Posts: 12
    I am considering the purchase of an 07 TL. I noted last night that the car apparently comes with Z-rated tires. I had a car about 10 years ago with Z-rated tires and I went through a set in about 25K miles. I am not an agressive driver but I do drive more now due to a long commute so I am worried about getting into a situation where I will be puting new tires on a car every 10 months or so.

What kind of tire life have people been getting on the factory tires? If I were to go with V-rated tires when a replacement is needed, what kind of improvement in tire life could I expect?
  • rvator4rvator4 Member Posts: 84
    I bought a 2000 TL 3.2 new in January 2000 and it just turned over 60K this week (it is in our garage a lot). I put a new Goodyear set on it a couple months ago just because we were going on vacation. The tires were not really that bad (OE V-rated Mich). I don't drive it a lot but I drive fast on vacation. The tire company would not replace the tires with anything but V rated since that was the original equipment on it.
  • gonzotlsgonzotls Member Posts: 3
    :confuse: Hello,

I just purchased a Black TL Type-S a couple days ago and when doing the financing the dealer offered a paint protection plan against environmental damage. I've been thinking about it lately and maybe it would have been a good idea to purchase since I don't have a covered parking and I'm also under a tree. I believe it would have cost me around $400 for a period of 7 years where it would cover things like bird drops, rain, etc environmental damage. Does anybody think this is a good investment?
    As the dealer is offering it, no it is probably not a good investment (for you. For the dealer, yes!). If you simply maintain your own finish, it will probably be the same thing for a lot less. For information and great products (I really should get a referral fee...!) visit Zainostore.com.

• kennyg8kennyg8 Member Posts: 225
    If the coverage includes free Zaino treatments and brushless washes, then it will be well worth the money. Otherwise, forgetaboutit.
    Another unsolicited Zaino endorsement!

The kid who sold me my MDX drives a TSX and opted for this coverage.
    Even he said that it turned out to be a complete rip-off.

You're paying for a wax job.

He has haze marks from bird drops and even with him working there, he has not gotten Acura to correct his paint issues.
    That Black that Acura uses on the TL is temperamental stuff.

Take it home and treat it yourself.
    It's the only way to keep it looking new.
    Save your money.
  • gonzotlsgonzotls Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for all of your thoughts. Since I just bought the car I'm going to try to wash/wax it regularly, realistically once every two weeks. good enough?

Can anybody recommend good washing and drying towels and where to get them from?

I see that the Zaino products are fairly popular. Can you advice which of them gave you good results?

Thanks again!
    Once every 2 weeks is probably the minimum, in the summer. In the winter, minimum I would say, is once a week. That being said, I'm the laziest guy when it comes to washing cars. My house does not have a private driveway. The garage is detached and it is off the lane, so washing at home is 5x more troublesome. So now I just run it through the touchless car wash everytime I fill up, which is roughly about once a week. :blush:
    Zainostore.com will answer a lot of your questions.
    I use:

Z2
    Z5
    ZFX
    Z6

I'm going to buy the "Maintenance Pack" next (Z6 & Z7). Maybe once all my Z2/Z5 is gone, ZAIO and ZCS...

Good stuff. Lasts a good long time.

My God, you must own shares in Zaino! :surprise:
    If only! Actually, my list of current products is pretty standard. Stuff ain't cheap, but neither was my TL! Although, I did pay invoice. Not sure whose invoice, but invoice! :surprise:

"Once every 2 weeks is probably the minimum, in the summer. In the winter, minimum I would say, is once a week."

My car feels lucky if it gets washed once every two months :blush: In fact, on the average, it is only washed about five times and waxed twice in a year. My dealership gives free hand washes everytime I visit, no matter what the job is. :) As for waxing, I always try to recruit my teenage son, but he gets smarter everytime and demands a bigger reward :mad:
    Your car must be silver, because that does hide dirt extremely well!

Oh, and wait till your son gets his licence. Then you can dangle the use of the car as a carrot for washing it! I'd bet your car gets washed every week then! ;)
    It is silver, hehe ... you are a mind reader. :D

When he gets his license, I'd offer him short drives in my wife's 03 Maxima in exchange for his washing and waxing both the TL and the Max. If he gets into an Ivy college, I will buy him a new car, but he needs to pay for his own insurance. He already knows the deal, because the carrots and sticks are always in operation in my household. :shades:
    "... you are a mind reader"

If only it were true! Actually we previously had a silver CL-S and silver Accord, and quickly learned why silver is such a popular color!