Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mikey38mikey38 Member Posts: 141
    or put the new tire on the back?
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    The wife swerved off the road this past Spring, to avoid some clown on the wrong side of the road, and caught a rock.
    This damaged the passenger front tire on our 06 MDX.
    Although the tires were still in very new condition, I immediately purchased 2 tires.
    One to replace the damaged tire, and another for the other side. (Replaced both fronts @ $260 a pop :cry: )

I've expereinced this in the past as well and just know better now.
    Especially in a car with good amounts of torque, or in a car like ours, where the AWD system has a mind of it's own, constantly swapping power from tire to tire...ugh.

Putting the new in the back would help, but not much.
    The car would just track wrong and now you'll have bogus tire wear in the future.

Sucks, but you did the right thing buying 2 tires.
  • bobogsbobogs Member Posts: 2
    Big rains down here in Jacksonville a few days ago. Got stuck in a deep puddle, and the engine apparently gulped some water, so I've got hydrolock. Already filed an insurance claim, but my big concern now is what the car will be like after replacing the engine.

What can I expect as far as performance, gas mileage, and potential horror stories? A friend of a friend had hydrolock on her car, and she says the car never ran the same after the engine repair (I think they replaced only parts of her engine...guess it wasn't too severe).

Also, if I do have to sell this car, where would hydrolock (post repair/replacement) put the car condition-wise? AVERAGE, ROUGH and DAMAGED list "mechanical problems requiring repair" as a criteria, but the repairs will have already been done. I can't imagine being able to list this car as CLEAN with a clear conscience, though.

Thanks!
    Gary
    I had a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (V-8) which I bought used, coming off of a 2 year lease.
    I drove it for a few years and then one day, with 65,000 miles on it, the engine just seized up while cruising down the highway.
    I was way over my head with that loan (long story) and was sorta forced into repairing the truck.
    $8,500 later, I had a new engine in the truck and it drove SO much better than when I had bought it.
    Obviously, there must have been something wrong with it since the day I bought it, but you would never know the truck had major heart surgery... ran awesome.

When I traded it in on our 06 MDX, the sales manager asked if I had been in any accidents or had any major repairs.
    I was straight with him and told him the silly thing stopped ticking one day and I had the engine replaced.
    He wrote nothing down, made no adjustments to my trade-in number and sent us on our merry way.
    The Jeep was on it's way to auction anyway.

I wouldn't worry too much, as long as the work is done by someone you can trust.
  • new2carsnew2cars Member Posts: 71
    My service indicator light just went on. This will be my first service on the '07 TL. What is the price range I should be expecting from the Acura dealer? What is included in this service? I got ripped off years ago with my last Acura so I want to be well-informed before taking my new car in.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,721
    Without checking the manual, I think the A1 service is oil change/tire rotation. Maybe some inspections. My Boston area dealer charges ~$100 (free wash and loaner, if necessary). I can get the same service at a local shop for half of that, which I usually do. Unless I have warranty work, I don't use the generally expensive dealership.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Okay, folks- It happened again! :( My 07 TL with navi was dead again this morning. Same problems, audio worked fine but it just wouldn't start. I didn't drive it for 2 days (which is what happened back in late September) and to my dismay, the car remained lifeless. I called the dealership and made an appointment for tomorrow morning. I am peeved.

Does anyone have any clue as to what is going on? This is driving me crazy! A new car should not be doing this. :cry:
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    That's a real bummer! You said last time that the Kar Track device stays on. So did they conclude that may be the cause of the problem? Could they not disconnect the device temporarily and see if the problem goes away?
    The Karr Track technician said it was a possibility but to answer your question- no, it wasn't deactivated.

Here's my concern too: I paid a lot of $$$ for this Karr Track GPS theft recovery system and if it's going to drain my battery then what's the point? This is the big inconvenience. I just want my car to start. The Acura dealership said they have never dealt with a car that wouldn't start after leaving it for 2 days. Any feedback or ideas would be great. I am at my wit's end.
  • meciemecie Member Posts: 1
    Did you find out why the Check Engine Light is coming on? I bought my 2004 TL new...and just had it's 30,000 mile service last week. This week my "check engine" light came on - and the manual says "Emissions system malf; have dealer inspect vehicle". The dealer has never seen the code before (said intake valve stayed open too long) and the light is now on some days and off others. Any ideas?
  • sturnersturner Member Posts: 4
    Maintence reminder came on for my 2005 Acura TL. Have 25,000 miles on the car and the B2 service is due. I call the dealership and ask how much.

$445!!! I asked what it includes...they basically said an oil change, tire rotation and a lot of checking of hoses, wires, etc. I'm sorry but I will not spend that kind of money on a car with 25,000 miles on it for std maintenance. It's absurd. I'm going to get just an oil and filter change and leave it at that.
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    You're right- $445 is too much for an oil change and tire rotation (along w/a bunch of inspections).

In reality, for the B2 service, you should do (per the manual):
    oil & filter change
    tire rotation
    replace air filter
    replace cabin filter

This should cost around $200-250.

You can change the air filter and cabin filter yourself and save some $$. I would recommend doing the 3 x drain & fill for the tranny fluid.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    The Acura scheduled maintenence prices are a little high. But I've found that you can "whittle down" some of the services to make the bill more reasonable. Had my '04 MDX in for the 50k check. It included:
    Tranny fluid replace (VTM4)
    Brake fluid flush (I highly recommend this)
    Oil change
    air filter
    cabin filter ($80)
    all other fluids topped off
    "inspection"
    tire rotation
    wash
    All for about $580. Not bad considering it was the 1st time it was in the shop.
  • herbert11herbert11 Member Posts: 22
    You should stay away from the new car dealer.

I have a 2006 TL. I bought a cabin filter for 13.95 and an air filter for 42.95, both on-line at Auto Warehouse. Changed both myself ( extremely simple to do ). Took car to my mechanic (recommended by AAA) who changed oil, rotated tires, Brake flush, Trans fluid replace, for $145.

Total cost: $202
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    I live 120 miles from my Acura dealer. He wanted $160-$200 for the 15,000 mile service. Ok. So I took my car over to the local Honda dealer and asked how much for the service listed in the manual (minus oil change & tire rotation which I had done earlier).

$25!

Honda mechanics are familiar with the Acura engine; it's a variation on the Accord V-6 engine.
  • tlsharktlshark Member Posts: 21
    when ur replacing your tires on any vechile ur suppose to change them in pairs of 2.because thats whats causes the pull when u do odd number changes
  • carteachcarteach Member Posts: 179
    Thanks so much for the information. What is involved in the 15000 mile check up? I have 13K on my car. I'm going to try the local Honda dealer too.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    Check the instruction manual. Take it to the Honda dealer & ask the price of just those items.
  • rvator4rvator4 Member Posts: 84
    I never go to the Acura dealer. I take it to the local Honda dealership for service and I figure if I need warrenty service, it will fly being a Honda dealer.
    By the way, I go over the book everytime I go in and he says on many items "That doesn't need done. It is a waste of money".
  • oc2020oc2020 Member Posts: 14
    I just purchased a new 07 Tl with Navi one month ago.and the tire pressure light comes somedays and goes off other times. Also, is the Tl alot lower than the average sedan. I feel like I am sitting lower than a camry or accord. Why is that?
    "I feel like I am sitting lower than a camry or accord. Why is that?"

I get that feeling too. It doesn't help that I'm not tall, but I think the TL's got a fairly high belt-line and cowl.
  • jcb123jcb123 Member Posts: 18
    Just picked up a new '08 TL from the dealer last week. After 2-3 days of local driving, noticed what sounds like a little vibration noise / pinging /rattle coming from the front passenger side door area. Thought it might be a loose door panel? Naturally, it does not occur all the time but it did seem to happen most at about 50 mph. Also, noticed that the aluminum trim from same side dashboard is off by about 1/4 inch where dash meets the door. Wondering if anyone has had similar problem or if Acura has history of anything similar? Could it just be new car break in? Any help would be appreciated. :confuse:
  • crysophyloscrysophylos Member Posts: 3
    Welcome to the wonderful world of the rattling TL!! My 07 Type-s was in the shop 3 times (total of 8 days) for this and other minor problems, all during the first month of ownership.

My TL had a rattle on the driver's side door, near the mirror. The area manager discovered through research that it was actually the mirror and had it replaced. No more rattle (knock on wood)...

Also had a tapping sound coming from the pass air vent. When the dealer replaced it, they dented my aluminum trim. Hence the 3rd visit. Now the latest problem is a pixel is dead in the center of my Navi. :mad:
  • bdemarrbdemarr Member Posts: 25
    My '04 had some squeaks and rattles early on. I brought it to the dealer and after being very specific, they were able to fix them. In my opinion all new cars have some rattles and squeaks. Hang in there, I have been very happy with my '04
  • marcus72002marcus72002 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2005 acura tl at what mileage should i be changing my park plugs and doing the maintenance
  • rprosserrprosser Member Posts: 2
    I recently changed the battery myself in my daughters 2002 and now I get an error message on the radio face. The manual is unclear about how to reset, except for "return to your local Acura dealer".....there must be a way for the owner to reset the radio?
    There is a 5 digit security code that needs to be entered
    The car, when new, came with this code on a card

If you don't know it, the dealer can help you after getting the serial number off the back of the head unit
  • marcus72002marcus72002 Member Posts: 2
  • rgb2rgb2 Member Posts: 31
    Tire pressure varies with temprerature. Hotter->higher, colder->lower. Your tires probably need a little air.

I agree. It is a lower-sitting car which is better for driving dynamics, but worse for line of sight and in case of accidents :cry:
    Re: sight-line. Out front, not so bad. To the rear, ie. changing lanes, I'm still not 100% comfortable (to the point where you more or less do it by instinct) after 3 years. :blush::cry:
  • dofferdoffer Member Posts: 16
    I own a 2006 TL with about 16,000 miles on it. The driver's side window makes a loud screeching noise as the window is lowered down the channel. This happens occasionally, but the frequency seems to be increasing. The passenger's side does not experience this problem. Has anybody else had this problem? Thank you.
  • camoncamon Member Posts: 98
    Yes, but it's the passenger's side. It comes and goes.

Best solution I found is to wash the exterior of the windows with plenty of warm soapy water and wipe down the window's molding,(especially on the bottom portion) with a wet rag with the window down. Also, clean the interior window with a warm damp rag. This seems to work.

It may still come and go, but not as often.
    Camon,

Thank you for your input. I will try what you have recommended :)
  • l82theprtyl82theprty Member Posts: 1
    Did anyone ever reply to this question? I recently bought a used 2003 TL from CarMax and noticed the whining after driving it for about 1 week. I was told that it was normal for this make/model and that nothing can be done. Is this true?
    I have a 2006 TL, anthracite gray. The other night backed up into something or other and now have three gouges in the plastic bumper. Are my only options to touch up with paint or replace the bumper? If there is no dent, is there something a body shop can do with this kind of thing. I only have 14,000 on the car. :sick:
    Did the same thing w/ my '05 shortly after I bought it. Took it to car star and they buffed it out and repainted, I think around $250. As long as there are no deep gouges you shouldn't need a new bumper.
    You guys need backup sensors! :P
    Is Car Star a chain of auto repair places? And yes, I definitely need back-up sensors. I assume they can't be added to a car; or can they?
    I think they can be added. In fact, isn't backup sensors a dealer-installed option on the TL?
  • underh2ounderh2o Member Posts: 5
    I had this problem on another car. A dealership technician explained that the window tracks (grooves) can dry causing the screeching noise. Purchase a can of silicone spray lubricant. Put the red tube in the nozzle. Lower the windows completely. Spray a light amount of lubricant in the side grooves where the window slides up and down. Do not spray in the bottom groove (obviously). Raise and lower windows a few times. Noise is gone.

If it not, then you have some other mechanical issue.

Do not use WD-40. Must be a silicone or lithium type lubricant.
    Yes CarStar is our local chain of body shops. Back up sensors are a $631 option on the TL. That does not include installation.
    Underh2o,

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it. :)
  • setchsetch Member Posts: 6
    u road tripping TL'ers out there might know. I'm looking at a high mileage TL to use as a daily driver from work. 05 w/ navi, auto and just under 80K mi. Asking 19500 for car. I'm looking to get it down to around 18K. how's the price sound? what kind of maintenance are you guys seeing on this model at that high of mileage? I'd like to get 20-30k miles before any major maintenance.
  • jefhjefh Member Posts: 6
    I got a 05 TL auto, and there's a strange fan noise getting louder and louder since summer this year. It happens whenever the car is idle (but not shut off). I'll always hear a fan-like humming noise comes on every 2 minutes, and it stays on for around 45 seconds. At first I thought it's the A/C fan, and my local Acura dealer told me it's normal for a/c to work. But I found out recently that even if I turn off A/C, with outside temperature below 50, it'll do the same as well. it's loud enough for people walk by my car in parking lot to show that strange look. And my mpg is starting to getting worse (don't know if it's related.)

Anyone has the similar issue in your TL? I searched all the noise issues in this thread and I didn't find anything similar...

Thanks,
  • gvbgvb Member Posts: 45
    Last weekend my nephew asked me if he could test drive my car. He said he has been considering a TL and was excited to see how it handled/drove. Since he currently owns a car with a manual transmission and has been driving it for several years, I had no problem with it. (big mistake!) I got into the passengers seat ready for him to back out of the driveway. I cannot comprehend or even explain why he did this, but he revved the engine to around 5 - 6K rpm's and slowly slipped the clutch out!! The wheels did not spin or burn the tires at all. I immediately told him to stop. I got out and could just slightly smell the burning that had occured on the clutch. This all happened in a matter of 1 second, 2 seconds tops. The car still drives fine, but cannot help but to want to know how much damage had been done to the clutch and possibly to other parts. Simply trying to look at the clutch to see, is just not reasonable. It's much too time consuming and costly.

Does anyone have ideas on how to tell how much damage has occured without major servicing? Any ideas on what I might expect next to happen depending upon the damage?
    I don't think he did any damage actually. If he had revved it to 5 - 6K and popped the clutch, then he may have done some damage. Even then, he would have had to do it repeatedly to cause damage. The poor lad was probably a bit nervous about driving the car and didn't want to stall it out --- hence he slipped the clutch. But, no, I don't think he damaged anything. I hope you weren't too tough on him, and will still invite him for Christmas dinner! ;)
  • gvbgvb Member Posts: 45
    You know, the more I drive it, the more reassured I become that what you're indicating is most likely the case. There's no studder when I start out from a traffic light and no apparent slipping while accelerating. Just a little freaked at first, that's all.

No, I won't count him or his family out of Christmas dinner. Just that when he arrives, he'll be driving his own car over..
  • ahanley611ahanley611 Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know alot about the tl? I have a 99 tl and my check engine light is on and my TCS light comes on here and there. But i will push the gas pedal and you can here the engine reving, but it wont go and when it does it jerks me forward? I also have no tail lights nor lights where my speedometer is> Does anyone know what this could be? a sensor maybe? Anyone please help me. :sick: :cry:
  • nringnring Member Posts: 97
    anyone know how to get the service light reset in the 08 TL with Navi. Just leased it and the dealership tells me they are the only one who can reset it after the oil change...i am not paying 100 for an oil change and want to advise my mechanic how to reset it...thanks for any info!

Thanks,

Noah
    AskNoah@icloud.com

• rvator4rvator4 Member Posts: 84
    I forget between times to turn it off but I think I hold down both the reset and select buttons and turn on the ignition for 15 seconds. Don't start it and turn it off before releasing the buttons. The Honda dealer where I get mine serviced told me how to do it.