Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Previously I had black leather so I didn't have much trouble with fading colors but the TL I have now has light gray seats. I really like Lexol leather cleaner/conditioner. A trick I learned working at a dealership in college is to use steel wool and glass cleaner as the cleaning method. Sounds scary, but obviously you're not "laying into" the leather while cleaning, but you do loosen up a lot of the dirt. I recommend Sprayway glass cleaner - its amonia free and the best in my opinion. So, first spray on the glass cleaner, scrub lightly with the steel wool, then dry off with a cotton cloth. Then apply the Lexol leather conditioner. Seems to keep the seats strong and comfy.
  • Hi! Thanks! I've never heard of the Sprayway Glass Cleaner, only Windex. Where can I buy that product? I (my daughter) cleans the seats, conditions them, etc., and uses Lexol and the other product Acura sells, so, I'm familiar with those. Since "she" drives the car more than I do, she has to keep it clean. lol Thanks, again, for your advice. "Hurry up" and tell me where I can buy that product. :o)
  • nmsgnmsg Posts: 39
    Does anyone know of a good and cheap online place that I can get an air filter for my 08 TL? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 15,079
    If you want an OEM part, there are a few places online you can google. The only one I am familiar with is handa.com.

I just use an aftermarket one (such as purolator) and you can get that anywhere.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (mine)

• Well I get Sprayway at Costco and it comes in a 4-pack. If you don't have a Costco nearby you might look it up online. Its in a blue can and works great!
  • This problem has been noticed since purchase, I've asked dealer and they suggest Its the key turning too far thats making the start up lag/drag instead of starting right up.
    The engine feels like it chokes before it starts up.
    I have used some fuel injector but that didnt change much. Id like to resolve this problem shortly. Everyone I show it to has a different opinion. Car runs great, been driving it for about 8,000 miles now wit this problem, so it seems to only be at ignition

I drive 2007 Acura TL with only 30,000 miles on it

Any help would be nice!
    any chance the battery is weak, and it doesn't have enough oomph to kick it right over?

• I'm driving an Acura TL 3.2, 1999, which I bought new. I just got my Timining belt changed and tune-up for about 1300 upon my request at 99500 miles. Nothing was rotting, I was about 5000 miles early on the change. I did it to protectect from any maintance issues pertaing to those componets while on the road.

I wouldn't think that you would need to change yours so early, unless your car is exposed to harsher climate conditions that may cause early rotting on your timing belt. You need to inspect the belt yourself to determin if it is rotting.
  • camoncamon Posts: 98
    Thanks for the timing belt info. I have a 2000 TL and was curious about the wear due to age alone.
  • appellofappellof Posts: 54
    Does anyone have experience with the engine repair? My daughter just bought one and her boyfriend decided to try to fix it, and, well he ended up destroying it. I don't know if he cracked a head or just blew a head gasket. There is a bleeder port on the engine cooling system and I am wondering if the pressure is supposed to be bled out of the cooling system prior to driving. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Daniel
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,353
    The bleeder is to let out air while the coolant is being poured in, for the initial fill.

If there is air blockage, yes, the engine could overheat.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• I bought this car yesterday, it has 87000 miles. The previous owner seems to have taken good care of it but he did have a power steering fluid leakage recently (fixed). Is it wise to spend ~$2000 for an extended warranty? I only drive ~5000 miles a year. My gut feeling is to have faith in the Acura brand but the fear of being stuck with an expensive lemon is hard to overcome.
    Well, how many years and miles does it add?

In any case, I would say no on a TL. Put the 2K in an account, and add a little each month. Odds are you aren't going to ever get enough out of the warranty while it it still in place, and the Acura isn't likely to have a hugely expensive failure that would be covered.

• prprt33prprt33 Posts: 9
    I have 154,000 miles on my 2005 Acura TL and have changed the timing belt twice already, once at 60,000 miles and again at 120,000 miles. The Acura dealership is telling me to do it again at 180,000 miles. Is this too often? I noticed a gentleman had just changed his for the first time at 99,500 miles and their TL was a 1999 not a 2005. Thoughts? Also, has anyone replace all of their engine and transmission mounts? I had to replace all of mine at around 100,000 miles and it was very, very expensive.
    look in the owners manual. If you still have one with service intervals, otherwise might have to check the internet.

the first change is called for at ~100K (maybe 105?) or 7 years. So you were well under that at 60K. But, they may have a shorter interval for subsequent changes.

But I doubt if it was me that I would replace it again that soon.

As to mounts, the ones on my '99 got replaced at about 140K miles. My sister owned it at the time, but I believe the bill for the full service + mounts was about $700.

That for the feedback, I went and checked my owner's manual and it said if you drive in really hot temperatures to replace the timing belt every 60,000 miles. I live in Phoenix, AZ so that must be what the dealership is going off of.
    I have a 2000TL with 184,000 miles on it and it has its original timing belt. I'm going to run it until it conks out.

I've had my timing belts replaced on other vehicles at various intervals and the old ones have always looked fine when removed.

We will see how long it lasts on this on this 2000TL as I usually replace my cars after 200,000 miles .
    Yeah, I think on my next vehicle I will change them at 100,000 miles. I am going to replace my 2005 TL at 200,000 miles as well and was really debating if I should replace the timing belt again at 180,000 miles or go until she hits 200,000 miles when I sell it. Any particular reason why you replace them at 200,000 miles?
    I replace my cars at 200,000 miles because that appears to be the time when various items with moving parts begin to wear all around the same time it seems. Such as alternator, water pump automatic transmission parts etc. But until then my maintence costs are virtually nonesistant.
  • chencezachenceza Posts: 5
    Hi everyone,
    I'm looking at getting a used 2004/2005, anywhere from 70K to 90K miles. I have never owned Acuras before, and have never driven a car past 85K. Assuming routine maintenance has been done and will be done, can I expect these cars to last to 150K miles or even 200K?
    Any personal input/stories would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    if you get one in nice shape, that has been well maintained, and you continue to do the same than 150K is not out of reason. No guarantee of course, and something big could fail in there, but would not be surprised.

I have a 2000 Tl with just over 162K that still runs fine, so I know that generation at least was built to last!

• selig1selig1 Posts: 8
    Hi,

My 04 tl has only 58k miles on it, but other than the many rattles that I finally figured out, its been an amazing car. No problems of any kind. Great power and wonderful for driving trips. It's basically a Honda, so I'd be pretty confident that if it has been well cared for it would last quite a long time. We had a 89 Honda Accord and got tired of it before it got tired.... Good luck, Andy
  • Hi! Wish I could help you with your decision. My 2008 Acura TL has given me no trouble; wish I could buy the 2012 -- it's better than every model prior, in many ways. Over the years, I've met Acura owners who wouldn't dare think of getting rid of their car - they simply drive it until it can't be driven any longer. Only knew of one who did not maintain their vehicle as required, which was ridiculous, and that model is what sold me on Acuras - The Legend (circa 1998). Good luck with your decision. Most people don't get rid of them, because they last "until".... :o)
  • mkacuramkacura Posts: 20
    edited May 2012
    Acura is a Honda product so you know the reliability lineage of the product. :) Between my wife and I, we have had 1 Honda ('92 Accord) and 2 Acuras ('88 Integra and '09 TL). Reaching 200,000 miles is an expectation that we have for these products and with regular maintenance, it is a no brainer.

The Accord we sold at 200,000 because, well, we were bored with it! The Integra we sold at 150,000 because, well, we were bored wth it! You see a theme going on???? :)

As for my current TL (SH-AWD), it's got 40K with ZERO mechanical problems. Other than rotating the tires, I have had 3 oil changes and 1 differential oil change (since it's an AWD model). There is no doubt in my mind, getting to 200,000 miles is not even a challenge.

BTW, I'm not a Honda/Acura Fanboy as we have had Toyotas and Nissans and they both perform just as well.
    I purchased a 2005 Acura TL on June 30, 2005. I just sold it last week with 156,000 miles. I had zero problems with the car and also got an impressive $9,500 for the vehicle. I could have drove the vehicle to 250,000 miles without a doubt. Acura and Reliability go hand in hand in my opinion.
  • robertw477robertw477 Posts: 179
    I have a TL 2009 with 41K miles approx. About 10K miles ago I had the tires checked as I knew I needed 1 tire. I was told I needed 4 tires as confirmed by two different tire places. I was lucky that Michelin covered 50% of the cost which was huge. It was something like 1700.00 with mounting, taxes, balancing and a rear alignment that Michelin wanted cost ($99.00) Most people these days would have a heart attack on a 1700 tire bill. Anyway my car is due for lease end. The tires were checked and in 10K miles of South Fla driving they are about 1/3 worn (new tires are 9/32) They are at 6/32. That does not sound great to me. The dealer when I asked stated they never heard any issues with tires going so quickly etc. Appreciate experiences from other TL owners. In my many years of leasing I rarely have to change tires, certainly not all 4. I am considering another TL 2012 or 2013 and am wondering if these issues are common. The dealer should be aware of any such issues and they said no.
  • mkacuramkacura Posts: 20
    That is very very odd especially with Michelins. They are expensive (as you've found out yourself) but they last a tremendously long time. Of all the cars that I've owned, any time I could afford Michelins, they last at least 60,000+ miles with many nearing the 75,000 mile mark.

I currently own a '09 TL SH-AWD and it's a tad under 40,000 miles and my tires are only about 1/2 worn (eye balling it, not measuring it) and I have no tire issues with the factory Michelins. I frequent other forums and this is the first time I'm hearing that the factory Michelins last 40k.

Did the dealer say that the alignment was off? Even if it was off, it would be really really off to make the factory tires die at 40k. I'm assuming you rotate your tires too? Also, if there's nothing wrong with alignment, save yourself the $100 and don't do it. Alignment is a profit center for dealers unless you know there's something wrong, like you hit something on the road or a deep pot hole. Normal driving should not mess up your alignment.
  • camandycamandy Posts: 2
    I have an Acura TL / 2006. about 55K miles on it. The Acura dealer told me over 1 year back I need Tires. I went to 2 tire places for their input: both of them said tires were fine. So am still using original tires. Will have them checked in near future. I dont think tires wearing out fast should be an issue
  • robertw477robertw477 Posts: 179
    edited June 2012
    I did rotate the tires. Michelin wanted a rear alignment but nothing was clearly stated that it was a factor in any way. Got 4 of those same Michelins and after the lease inspection it appears after about 10K miles thye are 1/3rd worn.
    The old tires were completely worn, there was no question that they needed to be replaced and driving them would be unsafe. One of the tires was leaking and I thought it could be fixed. However there was no boubt about the tire issue. I am wondering if this issue is more common in the more recent Acura models. I had a 03 Acura that never needed a tire in three years of use.

Rob