Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra: Problems & Solutions

14567810»

Comments

• mensamensa Member Posts: 7
    higdonc,read msg no.373 for a solution to your problem. something about having the slip yoke lubricated would take care of the thump that you are feeling.
  • apbstyleapbstyle Member Posts: 3
    I have an 01' Tundra with 65k. My tundra makes a loud clunk noise which is definately coming from the trans. It happens when I'm going maybe 50-60 mph when I let off the gas only, not when accelerating. When the problem first started it would shift in to fifth gear, well overdrive. Now when I'm driving at 60mph my rpms are at 2K, I know that's not right.
    I turned the o/d button off and it would stay in 3rd, but when I turn it back on, it does shift into 4th, but that's it. Doesn't trans have 5th gear? I think my problems are in the overdrive gears. Has anyone had or is having these similar problems? Please let me know. Thanks.
  • garyandersgaryanders Member Posts: 39
    No, your transmission is a 4 speed automatic with the 4th gear being an overdrive. Toyota did not come out with a 5 speed automatic until 2005 model year. I have a 4 speed automatic in my 04 tundra double cab. If you are experiencing a loud clunk you are probably having some sort of problem. Do you change your fluid and filter every 25k to 30K miles? I would have your transmission looked at by a reputable transmission shop. Hope this helps. Gary
  • mav6mav6 Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts! I have an 05' with about 61k on it. (I drive alot!) At about 57k a rear axle seal went out. Had it repaired under warranty, no big deal! This morning while leaving for work the left front ball joint apparently snapped and almost lost the entire front tire. I was only going about 30 mph. but had I made it to the highway and been doing 70 or so I am afraid I might no be here to write this post. It is now out of warranty but my feelings are that this is pretty major and am wondering what toyota will do for me?

Your thoughts?

Mav6
  • aedwards1aedwards1 Member Posts: 5
    Toyota just bought back my 2002 Tundra. They had to pay back $35,000 plus pay attorneys fees, and the truck can only be sold at auction. It didn't cost me a dime, and It is officially now a :lemon: Check my earlier posts to see what I went through. I now have a Ford F150 and I really like it a lot. I will never own a Toyota again...It was my 5th and last Toyota. I feel better supporting our U.S. car makers. Good luck with the imports!!!
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Regardless of problems, I'm flat amazed you got this thing bought back after four years. That's several years outside the legal lemon laws of any state. I've seen folks with representation unable to get a vehicle bought back after 15 months.....How'd you pull that off?
  • jgruberjgruber Member Posts: 1
    We've had a ball joint separation too. Our 17 year old was driving the vehicle to school, when the wheel separated from the upper/lower ball joint causing loss of steering and control of the vehicle. He was traveling on a city street traveling approx 30 mph, and luckily was able to grind to a stop without hitting anyone or anything. We were lucky he was not injured but, he was very shook up being put in this emergency situation without any prior indication of vehicle problems. We thank God this did not occur when traveling at highway speeds or while pulling our 4000 lb stock trailer. We have not received any notice from Toyota regarding this recall. In fact, we called two local dealers after having the vehicle(2004 Tundra Double Cab SR5 4WD)towed from the acc scene. Both indicated there was no warranty coverage since the vehicle had 52,000(warranty is 3yrs/36,000) and neither one mentioned anything about a ball joint recall or even offered to come and look at the damage. We've had a number of Toyota vehicles and are quite shocked at Toyota's response to this knowing there is some kind of problem with ball joints.
  • usedtobeloyalusedtobeloyal Member Posts: 31
    Good luck. My 2001 transmission also failed. Had to be towed about 80 miles.
    My service manager contacted Toyota, they said I am on my own. Like yours never towed; second Toyota truck I have owned. It's likely to be my last.
    I called Toyota national after the regional rep said they would cover NOTHING. The national rep also said they would cover NOTHING.
    I had to cover the entire cost, and my truck had 87000 miles. Rep said I was beyond the warranty.
    These vehicles are now reaching the point where the weaknesses are surfacing - it's the transmission and Toyota will is not willing to cover this major powertrain component beyond 60000 miles, yet advertise 100000+ owners.
    As you said, a company is as good as its warranty. Wish I knew their response before I bought my second truck. :lemon: Get rid of the truck as quickly as possible after 60000 miles; it's not worth "rolling the dice."
    I had the same problem this week. The noise one day and the next day, the transmission failed - no forward gears; no reverse. Towed to dealer. I asked him to call the regional rep to see if they would cover any of the cost. The regional rep said out of warranty: truck has 87000. I called the Toyota 800 national number - same answer they would cover nothing. COST: $3500.00. Hopefully, you don't get the same "bums' rush."
    BE CAREFUL and don't take a chance; GET RID OF THE TRUCK NOW. Toyota appears unwilling to stand behind this major component of the powertrain.
    My transmission was maintained according to the Toyota mait schedule, and I never towed or carried heavy loads. Major components such as the transmission should not fail under these circumstances; and more importantly, Toyota should support in some fashion. I WAS going to purchase my third Toyota truck next year - I doubt it.
  • 1buckxj1buckxj Member Posts: 3
    Found a weak link in a other wise tough truck, the cheesy metal bracket that holds the wiring harness to the frame. I backed up onto a steep slope and the bracket bent like a piece of tin foil which cause the the plastic connector to break in half. Checked the price today at the deal, $180.00 to replace the the piece. The parts guy suggested trying to glue the two pieces back together. I had already tried that with super glue , didn't work. Does anyone have another suggestion for a good bonding?
    That's what happens when they mount these plugs on the bottom of the hitch. My Dodge is mounted in the bumper where it should be. It's just a matter of time before I'm in the same boat as you with my Tundra.

I doubt you'll ever get this to glue together well enough to not cause problems. And there's no way it should cost $180!! Shop around, check Ebay, or try some of the online parts stores. They're usually a lot less. You can probably find an aftermarket that will work as well, check at the trailer shops. You might have to splice the wires, but that's not a big deal.
    Same problem that I had. Be careful what the dealer tells you - my transmission quickly failed with the same problem, and Toyota didn't want to hear it. Had to replace it at a cost of $3500.00. EVERYONE (dealer, regional rep., and national) in Toyota said I owned the issue since I was over the 60,0000 mile warranty. :lemon:
    So much for all the advertising about going 100,000 - 200,000. After 60,000 you're on your own
    Be sure to stay on top of the issue BEFORE you reach 60,0000 miles.
    Had the same problem myself in a 2001 Tundra. Soon there after, the transmission failed totally. It had to be replaced. I NEVER towed or hauled heavy loads.
    Toyota said I was on my own. Vehicle was out of warranty: over 60,000 miles. I had to cover the expense myself - $3500.00. Service manager indicated failure was not caused by lack of the transmission being maintained, but it wasn't covered after 60,000 miles.
    Don't gamble on this major expense; the "thumb" is likely going to result in costly repairs. If you have over 60,000 miles, it's likely to be out of your pocket.
    These transmission don't "age" well. For a vehicle that is advertised as a 100,000 - 200,000 mile vehicle; you'll find that it's going to be a 60,0000 vehicle if there is a major drivetrain component issue.
    I've owned two Toyota trucks; there won't be a third because of the lack of drivetrain support after the "warranty." :lemon:
  • jccinohjccinoh Member Posts: 9
    My '06 with 11,000mile has started the infamous intermittent 'clunk' when coming to a full stop and/or during initial acceleration from a full stop. I have read many posts indicating the slip yoke needs greased. I will take those posts to the dealer, as they seem to give me the 'blank look' when I take the truck in a complain. As is normal, the 'clunk' will not duplicate itself when at the dealer! What I would like to know is if anyone else has had the problem solved by some other means than having the slip yoke lubed.
  • center823center823 Member Posts: 4
    I own a 2000 tundra and I have had this problem twice and can't get an answer. While driving my brake light will fade on then fade off, it will fade on again and stay lit. Then the truck stalls and tries to start, this all happens without me turning the key. When it does start the starter will engage while it is running. Any help will be grateful.
  • bjs1997bjs1997 Member Posts: 6
    I Have a Silverado with 145000 and never have problems. I have had 3000lbs in a half ton truck and it handled it just fine. I also beat the hell out of it and it just asks for more. Gm also offers the 5 year 100000 mile warranty on powertrain. Go with a company that stands behind it product and its not toyota.
    If this was directed to #483 if you can read the last line any help would be grateful. Your statement doesn't really help but since we're on the subject.......I have 162,000 on my Tundra and besides oil changes, tune ups, and one set of brakes it hasn't cost me a dime. So good luck with your "silverado" I hope it lasts as long as my Tundra if it doesn't perhaps I can suggest for you to move up to a quality truck and look into Tundra's.....have a good one
    My message was for a previous statement on transmissions in the tundras. My last chevy went 215000 before sold it and it was going strong so why would i lower my standards and even consider a wanna be truck. Not to be rude but why not support an american company when they are just as good if not better. You can tow, pull, haul more for a lower price, why not.
    My Tundra was made in Indiana, last time I checked out a USA map it was there......imagine that.
    Do you know if toyota donated anything to the 911 relief. Whats that Zero dollars..... Do you know what GM donated 10 million plus 100 trucks to help out. How about all the money toyota makes off the U. S., does it stay in the states or uh go back to japan? The point is that American trucks are just as good why not support.
    The point is that American trucks are just as good why not support.

I don't think everyone buys a Toyota just because of reliability. I don't keep my 1/2 ton for very long just to have a new one, so reliability isn't a biggie for me. I've had about one of every brand and so far like my Tundra the best. The big reason I really checked out the Tundra was because the bed was over 6' on the crew-cab. The only other 1/2 ton that has such was the F-150 and the Tundra was better in many other areas. FWIW, I've got 15k miles on the Tundra and have had zero trips back for any issues. The '03 Chevy it replaced had four warranty trips in the same period. But I probably would have bought another Chevy if they offered what I needed. There was a lot I liked about the Chevys but I don't know that I would say they're just as good. Maybe the '07 Chevys, they seem a lot better.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516

As you may have noticed, we are reorganizing the Forums to allow better focus and easier searching when you have a particular problem or comment about any given vehicle. Many of the large generic discussions (like this one) will be closed to new posts, and we ask that you continue in the more focused discussions that you can find at the Group page for the vehicle, linked below. This discussion will not be deleted, so you can still search for information in it.

We recognize this is going to take some getting used to (for the hosts too!), so please bear with us. If you have any questions, you can always email the host of any discussion - the link is at the top of each page to the host who oversees that discussion.

If you don't see a discussion in the group appropriate to your question or comment, start a new one, or send me an email, and I'll point you in the right direction!

Toyota Tundra Group

Thanks!
    kcram - Pickups Host
This discussion has been closed.