Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Hey, did we land on the moon...??

Or did Iraq actually have WMD..??
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Let's stick to the Prius please.

BTW... we do wander a bit in the chat and hybrids folks are certainly welcome to join in!

PF Flyer
    Host
    News & Views, Wagons, & Hybrid Vehicles

The weekly Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • falcononefalconone Member Posts: 1,726
    The photo I posted before compromised the board. One there is a safe link (non competitor), I'll post it.

EXTERIOR IMPROVEMENTS
    The Prius receives updated front headlamps and rear taillamps, and a new front spoiler. A chrome finish is applied to the front grille’s center bar, and freshened rear combination lamp is added to enhance its appearance.

In addition, four new exterior colors update the color palette:
    • Classic Silver Metallic
    • Barcelona Red Metallic
    • Silver Pine Mica
    • Magnetic Gray (available May 2006)

INTERIOR IMPROVEMENTS
    On the inside, the instrument panel receives a new black organic textured grain in place of the burgundy or brown colors available last year. The rear seat bottom cushion has been lowered slightly for better head clearance and enhanced riding comfort. Also new for 2006 are the luxurious options of Leather-trimmed seats and steering wheel, available in both Gray and Bisque, and a Rear Backup Camera to help the driver see objects behind the vehicle when in reverse.

The standard audio system is AM/FM CD with 6 speakers. An optional mid-grade audio also includes MP3/WMA playback capability and an auxiliary audio input miniplug. The optional JBL audio features several updates for 2006:
    • JBL AM/FM 6-disc CD changer with 9 speakers in 7 locations (cassette deck is no longer available)
    • MP3/WMA playback capability and an auxiliary audio input miniplug in the center console
    • Hands-free phone capability via Bluetooth wireless connectivity
    The optional voice-activated DVD GPS (Global Positioning System) Navigation system is the most sophisticated yet. It offers increased map quality, over 32,000 colors, an ETA (Estimated Time of Arrival) display, a route tracer function, voice recognition street address search functions that allow you to enter a destination while driving, and can now be set to operate in English, French, or Spanish languages.

SAFETY IMPROVEMENTS
    In addition to standard ABS with Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist
    (BA), and Traction Control (TRAC), several safety features are now standard equipment:

• A Tire Pressure Monitoring System directly measures the pressure of each tire with a sensor and signals the driver in the event of a drop in tire pressure
    • Standard Driver and Front Passenger Advanced Airbags (SRS) now feature a passenger occupant classification sensor that determines not only whether the seat is occupied, but also whether an occupant meets the weight requirement for airbag deployment. The passenger front airbags are deployed only when the sensor detects an adult passenger in the front seat.

ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE
    The complimentary roadside assistance program has been discontinued for the 2006 Prius.

2006 MODEL YEAR PRIUS PRICING
    The 2006 model year Prius continues to be an excellent value, with a base MSRP of
    $21,725. The increase of $450, or 2% of MSRP, reflects the addition of new standard
    equipment and the product enhancements featured above.

Option package content and pricing has been adjusted for the model year 2006 Prius. Please see the appendix for details.

‘O6 PRIUS OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT PRICING
    Package Option MSRP Equipment
    Code

1 GY $650
    • Driver & front passenger seat-mounted side and front & rear side
    (unchanged) curtain airbags

2 HE $825
    • Backup Monitor
    • smart Key system
    • MP3/WMA playback capability, and auxiliary audio input miniplug

3 HF $1,475
    • Driver & front passenger seat-mounted side and front & rear side curtain airbags
    • Backup Monitor
    • smart Key system

4 HG $1,825
    • Driver & front passenger seat-mounted side and front & rear side curtain airbags
    • Backup Monitor
    • smart Key system
    • Vehicle stability control (V5C)

5 HI $3,205
    • Backup Monitor
    • smart Key system
    • Vehicle stability control (V5C)
    • Anti-theft system plus Homelink ® universal transceiver
    • JBL Premium AM/FM 6-disc in-dash CD changer, nine speakers, MP3/WMA playback capability, auxiliary audio input miniplug plus hands-free BluetooThTM phone capability

6 HK $3,830
    • Backup Monitor
    • smart Key system
    • Vehicle stability Control (V5C)
    • JBL Premium AM/FM 6-disc in-dash CD changer, nine speakers, MP3/WMA playback capability, auxiliary audio input miniplug plus hands-free BluetootWM phone capability
    • High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps and integrated fog lamps

7 NL $5,730
    • Backup Monitor
    • smart Key system
    • JBL Premium AM/FM 6-disc in-dash CD changer, nine speakers, MP3/WMA playback capability, auxiliary audio input miniplug plus hands-free BluetooThTM phone capability
    • Voice-activated DVD navigation system

8 Nw $6,890
    • Backup Monitor
    • smart Key system
    • JBL Premium AM/FM 6-disc in-dash CD changer, nine speakers, MP3/WMA playback capability, auxiliary audio input miniplug plus hands-free BluetoothTM phone capability
    • Voice-activated DVD navigation system
    • Leather trimmed seats and steering wheel
  • antonioantonio Member Posts: 12
    Hi Prius People!

I have been doing my research looking at all of the options and prices of purchasing a used Prius. Right now I am leaning towards finding a low mile '01 or '02. I know that '01 was the first year the Prius was made. I am not able to afford a NEW Prius, so if I purchase one, used is my only option.

Any recommendations of what I should look out for as far as known issues with these years, etc... Any tips are helpful in my search!

Many Thanks!

Antonio (^_^)
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    "The complimentary roadside assistance program has been discontinued for the 2006 Prius"

With all the luxury options available on this car, why would they do this? Hopefully it's NOT because so many owners have had to use it that it was costing them too much!
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    Well, I checked out both the Prius and the Honda today and I'm in total agreement with Karl Brauer, the editor of Edmunds. They both have great and somewhat different qualities, (and maybe a couple of small issues) but my vote also goes to the Honda. Beyond the better handling and mileage that Karl pointed out, it was also SO much more attractive and quite simply . . . very COOOOOOOL. Of course some of the Prius fans will disagree, but that's just the way it is. Thanks Karl. Great job!!!
    That could be why the Prius outsells the Honda! No one read the blog. But we can go on and on about how the Prius has more content, a hatch, better mileage, more safety features etc etc.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Thats good for all of us who breathe. Congrats to Honda for making an effective 'change on the fly' to the Civic.
    This also helps to reduce the money we sent to the ayatollahs and saudi's. Starve'em.

I hope Honda sells 100's of thousands.

Now they have to work on the HAH. It's stagnating..
    Try getting an 04. The years prior were a different design and you'll be missing lots of new technology. Check out the PRE 2004 thread for some add'l info.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A major news magazine would like to hear from consumers who are thinking about/planning to sell/trade in their SUVs (and similar large gas-guzzling vehicles) for more fuel efficient cars. If you have a story to share with the reporter, please respond to pr@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info., the make/model that you are getting out of and which more fuel-efficient vehicle you are now looking for, no later than EOD Thurs., November 10, 2005.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Falconone:

Thanks for the post on the 2006 Prius specs. I have my name down at a large Toyota dealer for a 2006 Prius option package #6. Didn't have to put down a deposit or anything.

Well I sold my old Lexus to Car Max but I didn't buy a replacement now down to only trhee cars.

Didn't buy becuase of several factors:

(1) Insight or Prius - my wife feels power would be marginal in Houston traffic. I did get cought in one line in the slow Lexus ( only 0-60 in 8.3 seconds)that was turning and almost was stopped and the lane next to it was still going 50-60 mph. I was barely able to break into the fast line. Alas I would have been stuck in either a Prius or 5-speed Insight.

(2) Wants to wait until April next year ( raise / bonus time)

(3) She suggested that a Civic Si would be more my style of a commuter car ( Actually I was also looking at an MX5 and convertable Mini S ; the MX5 Touring is under $21K)

(4) Do the math. If I got either a Prius or Insight I would be paying $400-$500 per month for payment. I would save, in my case around $125 per month. Do the math that is a net increase of $275 to $375 per month.

You should be down to about 6 weeks till you get your Prius.

Cruis'n in 6th,

MidCow

P.S.- Is VW stupid or what they raised the price of their enw Jettas $5-6 K , now a fully loaded one is $26K and for the TDIs they want to charge a premium of $1,500 to $2,000
    You must be joking midcow!! Can't believe you but the bullet. I encourage you to go through with the purchase, but don't expect to save money. It's a FUN car. Are you keeping the sweet Accord 6 speed?
  • bakaronibakaroni Member Posts: 10
    I was quoted MSRP by a couple of dealers in the SF Bay Area for delivery in January. That seems like the best price I can get. Anybody else know of a dealer in this area or around it selling for below MSRP?
    Highly unlikely. You MAY get a deal on an 05 before year end though. Most people are putting off their purchase to get that nice fat tax credit of ~3 grand c/o Uncle Sam.
    Falconone,

It's a hedge, the odds are on a "Rallye Red" Civic Si. Oh darn! it only comes in a 6-speed manual.

IF frogs had wings they would fly, If a Prius had a 6-speed I would buy (Please listen Toyota representatives)

Cruis'n

MidCow

P.S. Prius +gas mileage, techno, utility -colors,performance, lack of 6-speed

P.S.S.- 6 speed Accord will remain. The accepted proposal was for an ADDITIONAL "commuter" car ;)
    Get the Civic SI. Love the looks and great mileage. PLUS... it's a Honda. Can't go wrong with that. I would have cringed if you wanted the Cobalt SS (super silly). LOL!!!!
    Falconone,

I thought you said you would only cringe with a SRT-4 choice :P Yes Rallye Red Si it will be come April 2006.

How long until your Prius comes in ?

I have decided after many years and many cars the best reliability is either through Toyota/Lexus or Honda/Acura. I had one BMW and I like the handling and the engine performance, but it had a lot of TSBs and I nkow what they mena when they say "Break My Wallet". Anything not covered under scheduled maintenace, which was pretty long intervals, calculated by the maintenance minder, was very $$$

From a technological, features, utility and high gas mileage standpoint the Prius is the clear winner! I analyze lots of cars and lots of fetures and I find it humerious that about the only thing nay-sayers come up with is that a handful of Priuses encounter a software problem so therefore empirically all Priuses must have ctatstropic software problems. It is kind of like the auto Accord tranny problems. Makes no sense!

Good Car! Good Luck! Enjoy!

Cheers,

MidCow

P.S. _ I'll bet the wait is worse that it was waiting for Christmas when you were a kid :)
    Actually... with the brake failures I am uncertain now. I am going to get a Bimmer instead. I am so scared about a brake failure that I had to take two Xanax this morning. I even called my therapist to schedule an additional session this week. Would you like my Prius that is slated for early/mid January? It is #7 (everything sans leather). $500 under MSRP.
  • looking4priuslooking4prius Member Posts: 53
    I was unaware that the price for the '06 had been announced...I cannot find it on the Toyota website or any dealers websites. True, I was out of the loop for a couple of days (sprained ankle), but I didn't think that the MSRP would sneak past me....
    So, what is it, or where can I find it :confuse:
    Posted in Prius 2004+ thread. I've heard there have been tons of cancellations due to the brake problems.
  • jonnyanalogjonnyanalog Member Posts: 1
    I suggest all those who own or are looking at owning a Prius to seriously look at this article. Hybrids are not all they say they are and Definitely not the Ecofriendly 'magic bullet' all the tree huggers were hoping for. All get much worse than the projected EPA estimates. Hybrids are a joke!!
    And Toyota's corporate fuel economy has slide considerably in the last 20 years becasue they build just as many GAS Guzzling trucks as the big 3!!! Toyota has got the American public duped and Americans just such it up!!! Amazing!!
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    jonnyanalog, just a minit thar, pardnar !! Time fer some EDUMACATION !!

You say "Hybrids are not "all THEY say they are.""

Who are these mysterious THEY people? Certainly not the mainstream media, who talks incessantly about the "hybrid premium" and how "you'll never recoup your extra money in gas savings."

You've apparently not got the facts right, amigo.

Last I checked, the Prius is the second cleanest internal combustion engine car in the USA, right behind the Civic GX CNG car. And the Civic Hybrid ties with the Prius for the Best EPA Air Pollution score ever issued, a 9.5 on a 10 scale. And both cars score a 10 on the GreenHouse Gas scale.

And you don't even know about the flawed EPA tests, do you? Even the EPA has acknowledged that the 40 year old test, only SLIGHTLY modified in 1986, is severely flawed.

Did you know the cars never leave the test lab?

Did you know the Hwy test never goes above 55 MPH?

Did you know that ALMOST ALL CARS ON THE ROAD IN THE USA come in below the EPA estimates?

Did you know that a Prius was recently driven almost 1400 miles on one tank for a 109 miles per gallon figure, on REAL roads, by REAL drivers?

Did you know that there are many drivers of the Honda Civic Hybrid who achieve more than 55 miles per gallon?

I think if you are gonna come in here talking all wild about the misgivings of Hybrids, you should know the fax, my friend. I welcome any further questions or requests for clarification. :shades: :D
    Thanks so much for the headsup. Due to all the other information I've gleaned from this board I've cancelled my order. Especially after that Auto Week article. Jeez.... such awful mileage. I am so glad I am a member here. I've learned so much!! Thanks y'alll.... Now...over to the Bimmer forums.
    Here is something I cut and pasted. PLEASE..don't laugh..

ON MARCH 26,2005, I WAS DRIVING HOME FROM TEMPLE. SUDDENLY, MY CAR LOSE POWER. ALL PANEL LIGHTS LIGHTED UP. I PUSHED THE GAS PADDLE, BUT THE ENGINE WOULD NOT RESPOND. I TURNED OFF THE POWER THEN TURNED BACK ON, BUT I CAN ONLY SHIFT TO NEUTRAL. ALL PANEL LIGHTS STAY ON. I USE MY INSURANCE TO CALL A TOW TRUCK TO TOW MY CAR TO WONDERIE TOYOTA. THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT TOLD ME THAT THEY REPROGRAMED THE COMPUTER. THE CAR WORKS AFTER REPROGRAM AND THEY COULD NOT FIND ANYTHING WRONG WITH IT. ON APRIL 6,2005 IN THE MORNING, I TURN ON THE POWER. ALL THE PANEL LIGHTS STAY ON AND I CAN'T SHIFT. I CAN ONLY SHIFT TO NEUTRAL. AFTER ABOUT 15 MINUTES, I GOT OFF THE CAR AND OPEN THE CAR HOOD. I CAN'T SEE ANYTHING. I REMOVED MY HAND WHICH HOLDING THE HOOD SO THE HOOD DROP HARD ON TO THE CAR. I WENT BACK IN THE CAR. THE CAR START COULD RUN AGAIN. I DON'T KNOW IF THE HOOD DROP HARD ON THE CAR HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT OR NOT. I TOOK MY CAR BACK TO WONDERIE TOYOTA, THE SERVICE REPRESENTIVE DID NOT WANT TO TAKE MY CAR IN. I TOLD HIM THAT I WON'T TAKE MY CAR BACK WITHOUT CHECKING. I READ THE COMMENTS ON THE RECEIPT AFTER I PICK UP MY CAR. THE MECHANIC DID NOT KNOW WHAT WAS WRONG WITH MY CAR. HE DID NOT DO ANYHTING. Obviously

We do have to accept that some complaints are valid, but I simply cracked up reading this one. Someone should tell this guy that it is a no, no to DRIVE to Temple!!
    Please... if you're familiar with the Prius..try and contain yourself:

I DID NOT HAVE A FAILURE, BUT I HAD AN EXPERIENCE THAT I THINK WOULD BE HELPFUL TO YOU AND TOYOTA. MY EXPERIENCE WAS ACCIDENTLY HITTING MY RIGHT KNEE LIGHTLY UPWARD AGAINST THE LEVER THAT IS USED TO PUT THE CAR IN DRIVE, PARK, REFERSE AND BATTERY. I WAS TRAVELING ON THE HIGHWAY AND WAS SHIFTING MY WEIGHT SLIGHTLY TO GET MORE COMFORTABLE AFTER I HAD BEEN DRIVING SEVERAL HOURS. WITHIN A FEW MINUTES, LOOKING AT THE DASHBOARD, I NOTICED THE CAR WAS IN THE "B" MODE WHICH I GUESS IS CALLED BATTERY. I SHIFTED BACK INTO DRIVE WITH NO PROBLEM. HOWEVER MY THINKING IS THAT IF SOMEONE DID WHAT I DID (IN THE WAY OF ACCIDENTLY TAPPING THE SHIFT LEVER WITH THEIR KNEE) AND DID NOT NOTICE THAT THE CAR HAD SHIFTED TO BATTERY, AFTER DRIVING FOR SOME TIME (X HOURS OR MINUTES) THE BATTERIES THAT DRIVE THE ELECTRIC MOTOR/ENGINE WOULD RUN DOWN TO THE POINT WHERE THE CAR WOULD STOP RUNNING AND COULD NOT BE RESTARTED BECAUSE THE BATTERIES WERE SO RUN DOWN. ALSO THE ENGINE WOULD NOT START AGAIN BECAUSE THE BATTERIES RUNNING THE ELECTRIC MOTOR WERE NOT ASSISTING IN THE DRIVE OF THE CAR AS DESIGNED. I NOTICED A NOTE ON A WEB SITE THIS EVENING THAT INDICATED THE CAR WOULD NOT RUN WHEN THE BATTERIES WERE BELOW A 20% CHARGE. IF THIS IS CORRECT, IT WOULD FIT IN WITH MY THEORY. THE SHIFT LEVER NEEDS TO BE HARDER TO MOVE SO THAT ACCIDENTAL CHANGES SUCH AS I EXPERIENCED WOULD BE PREVENTED. IF THIS IS TOO EXPENSIVE, MAYBE A CHEAPER WAY TO FIX TGHE PROBLEM WOULD BE FOR AN ALARM LIGHT OR AUDIBLE SIGNAL TO GO ON WHEN THE BATTERY PROPULSION HAD BEEN GOING ON TOO LONG UNASSISTED BY THE GASOLINE MOTOR. MAYBE I'M ALL WET, BUT I THOUGHT IT WOULDN'T HURT TO LET YOU KNOW MY THOUGHTS.

So..this guy owns this car and thinks B is for battery!!!

Hey... hello...READ THE MANUAL!!!!
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    So..this guy owns this car and thinks B is for battery!!!

Seems some Toyota salesmen think "B" is for battery also. Who wants to spend hours reading a manual when they buy a new car? I never do. Check it for maintenence schedules etc. It sounds like you expect the people that buy a hybrid to all be engineers and understand what some engineer at Toyota had in mind. Not all car buyers spend as much time on the computer researching as you and I.

kevinfla, "2006 Hybrid Toyota Highlander" #2117, 9 Nov 2005 11:07 pm

I have a question about the "B" on the drive shift. The salesmen said it would allow me to drive on Battery only.
  • 3c33c3 Member Posts: 76
    Toyota Sunnyvale. $350 off MSRP for 2006 package 7. I put down my deposit in August, so I don't know if they're still offering discount off MSRP.
    If you buy a car, you should read the manual. I'll make this short and simple. I have NO pity for them. As to car salesman's knowledge, it's very poor as well. I can quote wrong answers from the best dealerships. One guy from a Nissan dealership said "nah...you don't need ABS, this car is light". My friend took a Toureg for a test drive and the salesman did not know how to adjust the suspension. PRODUCT KNOWLEDGE is valuable. The Prius is really different from many other cars. If you go to specific Prius chat rooms you'll be amazed at some of the nuances of this fabulous automobile.
    If you buy a car, you should read the manual.

I rent a lot of cars. Sometimes to drive a few miles. I am not going to read the manual on all those different cars. It is the job of the engineers to design a car that is intuitive. If it is a car that can run on batteries a "B" button would logically denote battery operation. I know on the HH and RX400h there was a lot of debate on that very subject. About the only thing I have needed to check the manual for in any new car was setting the time and what kind of oil to use. Most problems encountered with newer cars is not in the manual. It would be nice if they included a DVD with the shop manual. It would not cost them more than a buck. Then you would have some useful information. For example, how many people have enquired about the voice commands, Bluetooth application & NAV operation? Is it detailed in the manual included with the car? I do agree those kind of problems should not be posted on the ODI website.
    The problem is that non computer literate people are buying highly complex cars. I dare you to master the Idrive of the BMW or the COMMAND system of the Mercedes as soon as you get into the driver's seat. Rental cars are intuitive because they're simple!!! Not much complexity to an Impala/Hyundai Elantra, Ford Focus etc. As to the voice commands, there is a spreadsheet available on the net with all of them. Do you actually think people are going to memorize 300+ commands? It's a novelty. The NAV system is very intuitive. I did not even have to read the manual when using it.
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    Including a DVD with the owner's manual is a valid suggestion, but bear in mind that it would cost a lot more than $1; although the DVD itself would be cheap, production costs (actors, texts, editing, layout, etc.) would be very expensive, and since the information is already covered in the user's manual, it would be an unnecessary cost for Toyota.
    production costs (actors, texts, editing, layout, etc.)

I am referring to the shop manual. A printed document such as a PDF file available on CD or DVD. It should be available. Usually you pay several hundred dollars for them. I don't work on my cars like I used to so I really don't need one. It would be handy for the more intricate questions that arise with most new cars. Such as the 300 voice commands that are used with the NAV system.
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    In that case, you're right. I thought that your idea, or at least what I thought you said, was really creative--why not have a DVD flash-based or similar user's manual? It would be far more interactive, and perhaps less complicated for people that are really not "mechanically enclined". With printing costs only going up, it would be a great way for companies to cut down on these costs by replacing the printed version with a DVD.
    Actually... what they should do is get your email address and just forward you the manual in a PDF format. I already have the manual for many cars in PDF format just for informational purposes.
    That is how we get almost all out manuals now for Telco gear we buy. Or download from the website. It would be a good service for automakers to offer on their sites.
    Actually... Toyota has a ebrochure on their websites if you're interested in purchasing one of their cars. I did this when I purchased my Mini Cooper too. Heck.. I think most of them do now.
    if you're interested in purchasing one of their cars.

I would never say never. I thought the Camry I rented was decent, better than the Sebring. If the Cambrid gets high 30s to low 40s on the highway, it would be a possible. That is after the smoke clears. I learned my lesson on buying frenzies forty years ago.
    Just said Toyota... I meant any manufacturer. I'm neutral because I come in contact with Prius owners all the time who have more passion for their cars than their significant others!! Go figure!! I go by statistics. I am quite confident that a huge majority of Prius owners will have trouble free ownership.
  • pjyoungpjyoung Member Posts: 885
    I've got that one beat. This is the funniest complaint I've found:

I HAVE A 2004 PRIUS. (YOUR SUSTEM DOES NOT SHOW A PRIUS, SO I CHECKED THE TOYOTA MATRIX BOX, SINCE THE SYSTEM MADE ME CHECK SOME MODEL BOX.)THE TOYOTA NAVIGATION SYSTEM IS DEFECTIVE--IT DIRECTS TURNS ONTO NON-EXITENT ROADS. PEOPLE WILL DIE WHEN THEY FOLLOW THE SYSTEM'S DIRECTIONS AND DRIVE OFF ROAD AND CRASH. LETTERS TO TOYOTA HAVE GONE UNANSWERED. BY TELEPHONE TOYOTA ADVISES THAT THIS IS NOT THEIR PROBLEM

I try to picture in my mind the idiot who would turn onto a nonexistant road at a speed high enough to cause death.
    I know... I saw that one too!!!! The person had excellent grammar as well. I would LOVE to see the idiot that turns when the computer tells him to. Gotta love it!!! LOL!!!
    I would LOVE to see the idiot that turns when the computer tells him to.

This might be an issue if you are entering the car in that driver-less desert race. I also found several complaints on the ODI to be quite funny. It does bring into question the demographic that Toyota claims are buying the Prius. I guess you don't have to pass a literacy test to get a new Prius. It would be helpful for all the gadgetry.
    Actually... some of those postings are merely the government at work transcribing people's complaints via telephone. They are hysterical...actually funnier than SNL.
    Ok, so I placed the order on an '06 Package #3, blue. Delivery in 2 months. :shades: Was quoted $1800 on extended warranty, but was told that we could be given a break on that.

Two things: First, was told that the warranty period for the '06 was 8 yrs/100k miles. I had the impression it was 10 yrs/100k miles. :confuse:

Second: the extended warranty looks rather pricey, compared to what I have seen here on the boards. Has anybody been able to do better than $1800 for the extended warranty (my suspicion: most likely)? :confuse:

Other than that, they actually had an '06 on site. Only one, mind you. :mad:
    (1) Don't get the $1800 extended warranty should be able to get for less than 1/2 that price and even that is questionable as to the true value because of the items NOT COVERED.

(2) First, Battery warranty depends on where you live.
    CA an NY 10yr, 150K , All other states 8 yr, 100K

(3) Second, again don't get it.

Some of the comments about Prius operations porblems crack me up!. I think the normal person can handle Prius operation intutitively without a problem.

Reminds me of the PC support joke:

Caller: "My PC screen is black nad it doesn't work.

Help Desk: After checking cables, connections plug in the wall power switch. Asks the user to read the serial number:

Caller: "I can't see the serial number, becuase the light isn't very good with the power off"

Help Desk: Do you still have the box the PC came in?

Caller: "Yes"

HelpDesk "Well then package it back up and send it back , because you are too stupid to operate a PC"

Cheers,

MidCow

P.S. = why does Edmunds call the Prius both a compact and a mid-size?
    Midcow said it all. DON'T pay more than $985 for the 7/100k platinum warranty. Keep in mind that this warranty will takeover when the 3/36k expires and when the 5/60k powertrain warranty expires. Hybrid components are covered for 8/100k or 10/150k in green states.
    That is what I suspected. The odd thing is, I live in So. California, and still got quoted the 8 yr/100k mile figure. Fortunately, I just put a little bit down to 'hold my place in line', as it were.

Some of those comments on Prius software problems sound awfully like plants from competitors or people that just dont like Toyota. I have had my own share of PC support stuff going on, as that is what I do (controls engineer)

Cust (on phone): My computer doesnt work!
    Me: What is the problem? What won't work?
    C: It just won't work! Get down here and fix it!
    --- 2 hour drive to customer site ---
    C (in person): See! It won't work! I can't print a report!
    (computer working fine, collecting data, but not printing a report every 15 minutes as required)
    Me: Is there enough paper in the printer?
    C: Uhhhhhh.....

It really happened!

FoundAPrius
    I am sure there are genuine issues (as with every car). The Prius gets its lion's share of naysayers because it garners so much attention. It has won so many awards and is always mentioned in the media. People just get annoyed. Hey.. you can't argue with the car's success. It is a technical marvel and people can't get enough of them. Even with the tax credit just six weeks away, there is only an 8 day inventory of Prius.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,254
    not just the literacy test, also the absent minded professor test, based on family experience(not me!). ;)
    i think it would be terrifically fun to drive as a challenge to get good mileage, but not as in 'fun to drive'.
    overall, it is a practical design, regardless of how it gets from a to b.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Your answer can be found right on the roads we drive. Tons of morons and idiots, including the ones that buy a Prius.