Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius

Comments

• antzantz Member Posts: 13
    Dear Friends,

I went to a Toyota dealership today at Cleveland, OH area and asked if i can order a prius 04, they said yes and will assurre me if I do it today I will have it in mid_Oct.! I am kind of puzzled and surprised, since from reading here, indicating that Toyota dealership only take order for previous Prius owners? Do you think the dealership "BS" me? BTW, they only have 3 option packages 1) Base + Rea Wiper= $20175; 2) Base + Rear Wiper + Side&curtain AirBags + Smart Entry&Start + HID/Fog/VSC = 22250; and the last super package is $25245. Not include DPH of 485. Is this price is about right?

Thank a bunch.

Antz
  • mrvadeboncoeurmrvadeboncoeur Member Posts: 146
    base MSRP is $19995 + $480 DPH (for most of US)
    http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_library/display_release.html?id- =20030702b

The 3 option packages that your dealer mentioned are
    for the "Pioneer" internet pre-orders (order period ended
    already, orders only taken for invited guests, mostly people
    who already have a Prius ordered via the old internet
    system.) Those cars were ordered for specific people, but
    if one "drops" (someone turns it down) then it's
    often available off-the-lot.

Some dealers are taking deposits (first right of
    refusal type of thing) for people who weren't a
    Pioneer order to get one of the first regionally-allocated
    2004 Prius at that dealership. Depends on your
    region, and the dealership, and how Prius-knowledgeable
    your individual salesperson is...

At least in CA, don't know about other regions, there
    are now 6 option packages that have been announced.
    you can find info on them here:
    http://john1701a.com/prius/prius-2004.htm
  • brozhnikbrozhnik Member Posts: 172
    I actually ordered one on Tuesday (for me, Mr. Caution, this was an unusual move--can barely believe I did it). My dealer said he didn't expect it until late-Nov, maybe Dec. Was he being really honest (and the Cleveland dealer over-optimistic, to put it nicely?). Or could I actually get it a month earlier if I called up a dealer in Cleveland? It might matter, since my old Saturn is on its last wheels, and I don't know how long it will be before something big goes out.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Does anyone have a sales count of all the Prius Pioneers who have traded in their classic Prius for the all new one?
  • brwalterbrwalter Member Posts: 20
    A friend of mine plunked down the $500 to get in on the first batch of 2004 Prius's when they arrive in Nov or whatever. But ... now he is in a newly developed situation where he won't be able to buy the car when it comes in. So the question is: he figures the $500 is gone and forfeited. But is there any other problem for him to worry about, when he eventually tells the dealer "Sell it to the next person on the waiting list"? Anything he should be worrying about? (Aside from missing out on the Prius, which he regrets.) Thanks!
    depends on the dealer - hopefully your friend
    placed a REFUNDABLE deposit, i.e. if he doesn't
    like it, he can refuse it and get his money back.
    you do not have to trade in your old Prius to get
    a new Prius (unless you want to). The Pioneer orders
    were available for those who ordered their 2001 or 2002
    Prius through the old internet ordering system, so
    if they wanted first grabs at a 2004 Prius they could.

I'm keeping my 2001, but my Pioneer order number
    went to my husband, who's trading in his "conventional"
    car for a 2004 Prius. (Now my husband won't keep
    stealing my Prius from me... he'll have his own.)
    You could try stealing his new Prius from him, as it would be more advanced and roomier.
  • funpilotfunpilot Member Posts: 66
    Do you think a dealer would get very aggressive if I buy a 2004 Prius and a 2004 Solara at the same time?
    The dealer might be very aggressive if you finance through them. Throw in a Sienna and they'll have tears in their eyes. You'll be their biggest customer that's not fleet.
    Do you think a dealer would get very aggressive if I buy a 2004 Prius and a 2004 Solara at the same time?
    YOU WILL WIN CUSTOMER OF THE YEAR AWARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • brwalterbrwalter Member Posts: 20
    Mr. vadeboncouer responded (thanks): "depends on the dealer - hopefully your friend
    placed a REFUNDABLE deposit, i.e. if he doesn't
    like it, he can refuse it and get his money back. "

He didn't-- he checked and the deposit is not refundable,so he's out the $500. What he wonders is: is that $500 the end of the story? He hasn't actually signed anything. Will he have any further trouble if he just tells the dealer, sorry, I can't afford the car--sell it to someone else? (I told him there can't possibly be any obligation on his part beyond that, esp. since he hasn't signed a thing. But reassurance will be helpful on this point. Anyone know?) Thanks again.
    no idea. might want to check with the dealer in
    advance to feel them out on the issue. perhaps
    if he can find someone to buy the car in his place,
    maybe then he'll get his deposit? (just guessing)

and actually, it's Ms. M. R. Vadeboncoeur, but
    my username can be a little confusing for gender...
    Anyone that owns a classic Prius and has their name for a new one?
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Toyota just released a lot of new information and images on www.wieck.com (Click Public, type in Prius.)

Toyota's press website should have plenty of info/images too. http://pressroom.toyota.com

Toyota's mileage for the new Prius says an average of 55 with 59 city and 51 highway.
  • prius4meusprius4meus Member Posts: 22
    Based upon my frustrating experience trying to order a 2004 Prius in Ohio, I would most certainly NOT count on the promises of the Cleveland car dealers. I visited two dealerships in the Cleveland area within the past month. Neither of the dealers (both supposedly the "Prius experts") knew much of anything about the car. Two minutes in this townhall (or, for that matter, Toyota's own website) provided more information than they could! Much like the experience of Antz, the dealers insisted there will be only 3 options available BUT THEY DIFFERED ON WHICH THREE! One salesman claimed that each dealership in the 4-state area would receive only one car in the initial shipment. The other insisted that the first shipment would contain exactly as many cars as orders received, theoretically an unlimited number. I suppose I should not be too surprised. I imagine that the number of Prius's sold by any one dealership is too small to justify a dedicated salesperson.

Anyway, Brozhnik, don't be suckered by this, the most recent mistake by the lake...
    Thank you for your comments. I felt the sameway. the first toyota i visited was Sunnyside in North olmsted. I had a same person as last year I went in for a test drive on the 4-Runner. He said to me back then that "If I am not buying the vehicle, I am not qualify for a test drive! ? I tel myself "what the *&#@!" I was so upset and walk out. Scratched that 4-Runner of my list and bought a Grand cherokee instead. :-(

Anyway, this same person was looking on the toyota webside and tell me everything I wanted to know about the Prius .....2003! He even shown me the picture of the 2003 that he thought the prius 2004! However, the quote sheet was for the prius 2004!

I called Metro Toyota, they said that they already filled their allotment of 5 vehicles, so I won't get it in Oct. , but sometime in December. They seem to be more for-right then the Sunnyside folds.

So, did you ordered yours prius4meu. What Package do you go with, and why?

Thanks a bunch,

Antz
  • eman5eman5 Member Posts: 110
    It's 34.1 feet, per the Toyota Pressroom website.
    note that final available packages may vary depending
    on what your region decides to order/package for
    sale in your area.

There's the 3 Pioneer ordering packages, which should
    be in the first allotments to dealers (internet
    pre-orders by invitation only).

The 6 packages that's been listed otherwise is for
    the region that covers California. Don't know waht
    other regions are doing...

First car deliveries should be dealer TRAC or demo
    cars, and also the Pioneer preorders.
    Thanks to Brian West for this info from another site:
       http://www.toyota.co.jp/company/prius/channel/vod_300k.html
       Approx. Video times of interest:
       10:45 Elec diagrams & graphs
       12:15 S-VSC wet braking test
       13:50 Dimensions & interior seat configurations
       17:00 self-parallel parking
       20:45 offset crash test
       21:10 (notice the windmills in the background)
       21:22 windtunnel test with lines of smoke to show the laminar airflow.
    long download times for the flash/shockwave
    movies/animations, but worth the wait:
    http://toyota.broadbandgw.co.jp/prius/index.html
    ...Today! Deposited $500 for a Prius 2004 internet package #2 MSRP for 22,250 + $485Dph and $145 floor mats. Out the door total $24,784.66 at Sunnyside toyota Northolmsted, OH.

:-)
  • brozhnikbrozhnik Member Posts: 172
    Dear Mr. Vadeboncouer,
    Thanks for the link. No way I can watch it at work, so maybe you could give us a sneak preview of the burning question for me: how does it do on that offset crash test?
    Thank!
    ...Today! Deposited $500 for a Prius 2004 internet package #2 MSRP for 22,250 + $485Dph and $145 floor mats. Out the door total $24,784.66 at Sunnyside toyota Northolmsted, OH.

:-)
  • dupiedupie Member Posts: 22
    Are there any Prius owners that have had their car under coated?
    Living in Minnesota where SALT and winter run hand and hand, the 04 I ordered won't be looking good for long. What are your thoughts on the under coating idea? Thanks
  • yerth10yerth10 Member Posts: 431
    According to this webpage
    http://www.japantimes.com/cgi-bin/getarticle.pl5?nb20030902a2.htm

Prius-2004 gives 35.5 km/l which is like 84 mpg. But it is shown
    here as 55 mpg vehicle. Is it because of the driving speed or the
    figure quoted in that article is wrong.
    84MPG!? We hope! (The Insight gets nearly 70)
    Is this going to be an option now? If not, can it be added later?
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    I just looked at the crash once. The Prius was driven head-on into a large (I believe) SUV which was moving in the opposite direction. Considering the height of the SUV's bumper and where it hit the Prius, the Prius did rather well, at least if it were a high speed test. I didn't pay any attention to airbags, so if those weren't deployed, the crash would have been less severe for the occupants.
  • bichoncarbichoncar Member Posts: 2
    I think the laws may vary from state to state but I know that in Ohio car dealers must refund deposits when requested IF the deposit was not for a specific car, i.e. Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) specified. A VW dealer tried to keep a deposit when the new Beetles were coming out in 1998 and was quite adamant and nasty about it. I found out that it was against the state law for them to do that and told him I was going to contact my attorney. We picked up the refund later that day! This was the same dealer that was charging $3000 or more over the sticker price with no promise of what color we would get or when we would get it. We were very fortunate to get exactly the color we wanted for the sticker price which was unheard of in those first months. Good luck!
  • mjcplmjcpl Member Posts: 6
    "Actually, that number [36,000] is for the first production cycle, not year. It turns out that a second cycle will begin early next spring!"

Do you anticipate (or know) if, for the "second production cycle" next Spring, there will be any revision in either the USA 2004 Prius offering itself -- e.g. "Japan Prius" features like 16" wheels?...EV button?...parking-assist...whatever else -- or perhaps revisions in the option-packages or trimline options? (Someone had pointed out there seem to be differences in the Prius versions being initially released in the US and in Japan, and the following video reveals some differences as well http://www.toyota.co.jp/company/prius/channel/vod_300k.html )

mjcpl
  • bichoncarbichoncar Member Posts: 2
    I am very interested in the 2004 Prius but need to buy my car in this calendar year. I have contacted the Toyota dealers in the past day about availability but have not heard anything yet. If I am not able to buy a Prius this year then I would buy the 2003 Civic Hybrid. This evening is my first night on the two messagge boards for the PRius but it doesn't look too promising for a 2003 delivery date for a Prius. Any odds? Any thoughts!

Thanks.
    BichonCar in Cincinnati
  • john1701ajohn1701a Member Posts: 1,897
    > second production cycle

Since Toyota has been known to change package offerings throughout the year, actually planning to begin another cycle in the middle really doesn't surprise me.

> 16" wheels

That's just plain not going to happen (especially since the aftermarket route is so simple). It would compromise city performance. What would you gain?

> EV button

With the way misconceptions about hybrids thrive in this country still, I really don't think the market is ready for it yet.

> parking-assist

That's possible.

JOHN
  • boxfanboxfan Member Posts: 180
    "The S Touring Selection and G Touring Selection are fitted with a specially tuned suspension for a sportier driving feel." The "S Touring Selection and G Touring Selection" also come with the 16" wheels. I wonder if the US version will have the "specially tuned suspension?" It doesn't seem to be an option, but maybe that's the standard suspension for the US version?

Re: 16" wheels--"What would you gain?" Well, better handling. That's the original reason for bigger wheels and lower profile tires, although most people now buy them for looks. In principle, you'd think you could find lightweight rims that wouldn't compromise mileage much, but I don't know how you'd choose the rims.

I do think the new Prius looks better with lower profile tires. The show car version had ridiculously large rims, but I think they made the car look better. Just my opinion.
    What is meant by EV button.
    > What is meant by EV button.

Prius offers an EV mode called "STEALTH", the ability to drive up to 42 MPH without the engine running (this speed is expected to be faster in the 2004).

The engine will restart when the electrical draw becomes high and the battery-pack desires (but does not need) to be recharged. The system then takes advantage of the engine to both provide thrust and electricity at the same time. So of that electricity is immediately consumed by the motor for additional thrust, the rest is used for recharging. The end result is an efficiency gain.

In some cases, drivers would like to prevent the engine from restarting, since they can predict what the driving needs will be. The hybrid system can't, it only knows what conditions are at that moment. An EV button would allow owners to inform the system that it is ok to leave the engine off for awhile. Then you can enjoy the pleasure from "stealth" a little longer.

JOHN
    In the US, the 2001-2003 Prius has an EPA rated
    average 48MPG. In Japan, the equivalent agency to
    the US's EPA also tested the Prius to their testing
    cycle, and gave it a MPG rating in the 60s.

Different testing cycle, different results.

Same thing goes with reading Canadian estimated
    l/km (convert to MPG) - different test cycle than
    in the US, often rates higher than in the US.

Also remember when doing your l/km conversions, to
    convert to US gallons rather than the (larger)
    imperial gallons.
    British don’t use gallons, quarts, pints, ounces anymore.
    They sell gasolene and all other liquid stuff only in liters.

Liberia is the only other country in the World that uses
    US gallons, ounces, etc.

It will be better if the testing can be standardized.
    > It will be better if the testing can be standardized.

How?

Road & Temperature conditions vary drastically throughout this country alone. Those factors have a profound effect on efficiency. So even the just the EPA testing here doesn't reflect what many drivers will actually encounter.

And to make matters even more complicated, the fuel itself differs. The stuff I use is 10% ethanol, 90% gasoline. It isn't as efficient as 100% gasoline, but it is cleaner and does reduce oil dependence a little.

JOHN
    "Road & Temperature conditions vary "

So do they take the average of Colder North (Minnesota, Massachussets)
    and Hotter South (Texas, Florida) in their mpg figures.

"10% ethanol, 90% gasoline"

Is gasohol more expensive than the regular gasolene.

Many countries like Japan, India, Thailand, etc are venturing
    into bio-fuels, hope they become part of the regular fuel for
    Transport.

BTW, GM, Ford & Chrysler have taken a big lead in FFV.
    > So do they take the average of Colder North (Minnesota, Massachussets)

I lived in both MN and MA. They quite simply don't compare. You'll never see -13^F there like I did with my Prius here. The Hotter South isn't accounted for either.

Vehicles are tested at 68 F to 86 F ambient temperature, without the A/C.

That obviously doesn't reflect what owners actually have to deal with for temperatures.

> Is gasohol more expensive than the regular gasolene.

That's the only thing available here in Minnesota. We literally don't have the option of buying it any other way in the metro area. And out in the rural outback, 100% gasoline only available in the highest grade for special engines only (like for boat & snowmobile use). That means ethanol production is fairly competitive. Prices are similar to what others pay for gas throughout the country.

> GM, Ford & Chrysler have taken a big lead in FFV.

Not really. All they actually do is make the technology and collect the pollution credits from each sale. They do no advertising of the FFV abilities whatsoever.

E85 is commonly available in the metro of Minnesota. It has been for years. I've never, ever seen an advertisement from GM, Ford, or Chrysler stating their vehicles can use it. In fact, I've only seen 1 FFV owner ever that actually did. Most don't even realize the vehicle they've own for years can use E85. That's really sad.

JOHN
    Well, the reason the big three created Flex Fuel Vehicles is because they wanted to sell more SUVs, so they got more credit for selling FFVs. In fact, almost no one uses FFVs. You may be able to get one delivered in December if you're lucky- otherwise a January or February delivery date is more realistic.
  • ttlttlttlttlttlttl Member Posts: 24
    do anyone know how many years the battery will last before replacement? What about cost?
    have a seven year warranty but are expected to last over 200K miles. By then, you would have bought a new Prius.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    because it was not within our Town Hall guidelines. Please be aware that while it's okay to link to 2004 Prius information at Toyota's main website, our policy does not permit links to individual Toyota dealerships or salespeople's websites.

To those concerned - Feel free to email me if you have any questions regarding this matter. Please do not address this with me here.

And let's get back to the subject of the 2004 Toyota Prius. Thanks! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
    The classic (2001-2003) battery-pack was expected to last 10-12 years or 150,000 to 200,000 miles. We obviously can't confirm that time aspect, but we do know of one owner that exceeded 200,000 miles without any trouble.

I'm not sure what the original (1997-1999) was rated for, but it was bigger and not as powerful. So Toyota's continued research is paying off.

And now for the 2004, the pack offers an even greater energy storage density and the module count has been reduced from 38 to 28. So obviously, cost is dropping as a result.

JOHN
    "module count has been reduced from 38 to 28"

Any idea of whether the battery size has increased.

As far as I know the Prius (2001-2003) has the same
    size battery as Prius (1997-1999) while delivering
    25 % more power.

Same is the case of Civic hybrid over Insight.

Improvements in battery tech in hybrid vehicles will
    also benefit other products like

* Electric Vehicles (Grocery store & golf carts, electric scooters, etc)
    * Portable Devices (Notebook computers, cellphones, etc)
    * Battery based generators / power storage systems.