Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Prius

Comments

• Options
    railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    So...Mary Lou what did you do? Just curious but if your decision takes time then you've already done the right thing. One last tip your way. Be sure to check with more than one dealer and check on word of mouth about the car and the dealer. I've heard of buyers even going to the extreem of checking with the Better Business Bureau. Lastly, remember a car is just transportation or so we try to tell ourselves. Yah, I know. It's more than that ...ego, prestige, glamor and a status thing. (truth be known)
    Culliganman (Cars R Us)
  • Options
    dszjgldszjgl Member Posts: 3
    4th...Understand that when a car is in demand (like the Prius) don't expect to see any discounts. You can avoid the "ADD ONS" in most cases. Prius cars are beginning to be abit more available so good luck.
    Last point (for now) Treat them the way you'd want to be treated.
    ======================
    Good points. I'd like to add to it that you may want to purchase in an area where the Prius might not be that popular. For example, I bought at Toyota at Muskogee, OK for 26k package 6 and full mats (500-1000 under MSRP). The salesperson at the dealer was willing to go along with my offer and tag a car while coming to the US as long as I was willing to accept one of three of my favorite colors. The dealer is 40 miles from Tulsa and may turn over fewer cars there but there apparently are fewer buyers than in a bigger market too. Most people there are more likely interested in a 4WD pickup than a hatchback.

regards,
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Speaking of that... I saw an ad in the Sunday paper in Minneapolis from a Toyota dealer in Willmar, MN (about 90 miles west of Minneapolis) advertising 2005 Priuses in stock and ready for delivery.
  • Options
    rpgolferrpgolfer Member Posts: 157
    Hi gang,
    I asked the local service mgr about replacing parts for innacurate fuel gauges. He told me if Toyota sends me documentation indicating a potential innacuracy the dealer would deal with it. Does this sound like normal course of action to anyone? As a general rule, when my fuel gauge gets down to 1 bar, I don't push it, I'll fill it up. Last time that happened, I only had 246 mi on the tank odo. I got 41 mpg after taking only 6 gals to fill up. With an 11.9 gal tank I was still around half when I filled up. I don't care to push my luck with that last bar.
    Rich
  • Options
    tempusvntempusvn Member Posts: 119
    "I asked the local service mgr about replacing parts for innacurate fuel gauges. He told me if Toyota sends me documentation indicating a potential innacuracy the dealer would deal with it. Does this sound like normal course of action to anyone? As a general rule, when my fuel gauge gets down to 1 bar, I don't push it, I'll fill it up. Last time that happened, I only had 246 mi on the tank odo. I got 41 mpg after taking only 6 gals to fill up. With an 11.9 gal tank I was still around half when I filled up. I don't care to push my luck with that last bar."

There is a fix out for earlier 2004 vehicles.

In the earliest (VIN 1-57579) it involves a new computer module and a new fuel filler neck. In later ones (VIN 57580-78361), only the filler neck.

It states:

Some 2004 Prius customers may complain of of the following:

Fuel Gauge is not accurate
    and/or
    Fuel tank volume is not close to the stated capacity.

You can either ask your dealer to look up TSB EL010-04, or go to one of the various Prius Sites with file attachments. It's loaded up on most of them.

Basically, if you fall within the range eligible for the fix, and you 'complain' of the problem, Toyota will cover it. They won't notify you of it.

If the dealer wants 'documentation' download the TSB and take it to them.

If they are still being bone-headed, just call the Toyota Customer Service Number.
  • Options
    A hard to find item. Buy the time I write this thread this car is almost certainly history. Especially if it is @ MSRP (only). If per chance you still can grab this diamond in the rough....GO FOR IT. A Prius is a rare find these days.
    Culliganman(3 months to get mine)
  • Options
    amdcjamdcj Member Posts: 3
    In a IRS.gov newsletter in October 2004 the $2000.00 "Clean-Fuel" deduction (Line 35 on your tax form) was re-instated for the 2004-2005 Prius.
  • Options
    mtransue1mtransue1 Member Posts: 15
    I am waiting for the dealer in N.C. to pick up my Civic in the garage and give me the evaluation on its' worth...

Still have the Prius on order but have an article where someone got a better deal on a 2005 with more options than I have. So will have to wait and see what happens.

Will be on this thread so will let you know.

Mary Lou
  • Options
    arizonamtnsarizonamtns Member Posts: 2
    Prius 6 month storage... I live in Arizona 6 months and in MA for six months --- Leaving my Prius in Arizona --- Is there anything special I should do to store it???
  • Options
    If your trading a (what yr?) Civic I'm curious why it's being pick'd up. If you need to know it's trade-in value check bluebook or call a credit union and ask for info on it's market value.
    Prices seem to be a bit more flexable to some extent on the Prius. Shopping around is in your best interests.
    Keep in thouch here. I'm curious to see how you make out. (remember to be patient)
    Culliganman (Car buying is fun when you know the tools)
  • Options
    electrictroyelectrictroy Member Posts: 564
    Have you looked at the Civic Hybrid? It uses the "normal" controls found in other cars (buttons not touchscreens).

troy
  • Options
    According to CR's annual survey, reported in their April 2005 issue, the '04 Prius was the "most satisfying" car, with 94% of Prius owners in the survey saying they would definitely get one again. The Scion xB was second with 87%, and another hybrid, the Civic Hybrid, was third with 81%.

The Prius is also CR's top pick for "green cars" and received their highest rating for reliability.
  • Options
    brtedbrted Member Posts: 7
    My girlfriend was looking to test drive the Prius and wound up buying one yesterday. They only had one on the lot at Atlanta Toyota (website said they had 7 "in inventory"). It was a good experience overall but we were pushovers. Paid MSRP for Package 1 plus Toyoguard and others ($1617 total options). After steep taxes and a $600 processing fee it came out to be $25,360.09. We got a gouged a little, but the car was a good match for what she wanted (Salsa Red, good features but not all the bells and whistles).
  • Options
    timber104timber104 Member Posts: 24
    When I ordered my Prius, it was back in November '04 & was told to expect it in 6 months. Now that Toyota has doubled production it will be easier to get them. Now my local Toyota dealer has 4 or more in stock all the time & with all types of package deals. Where i ordered my car from is still not in, but due in around April. However, the dealer has told me if they wanted to swap out vehicles with another dealer they can & get the one I or others want, it is easy to do, but they don't want too at this time. They are expecting to have the Prius sitting on all lots by December '05 with no waiting lists.

I want to get mine in soon though, but they are having a problem with my trade in now, they are not going to give me as much as they said they would only a few weeks ago, for my 4Runner.

We will have to see if the wait was worth it.
  • Options
    Usually dealerships take a trade-in with an agreed deal on your old car but the usual wait for an ordered car is about 6-8 weeks. The trade-in is still holding its' value (trade-in allowance). With the current long wait (3-6 months) for ordered Priuses I wondered how they'd be able to hold the line on trades.
    You DO KNOW that you're better off during the waiting period to sell your car yourself. It's not that hard AND you'll get more (usually 600-1200 dollars) if you do it right.
    As to the availability of the 05 Priuses...ADS are running frequently on TV now which tells me Toyota is catching up with demand. GOOD LUCK!
    Cuuliganman( waiting's a pain)
  • Options
    murphy8murphy8 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all -
    Went to Kendall Toyota in Miami today and purchased a 2005 Prius, package 5 for 23,665 plus got a great trade in on my 2001 Escape.

They had five more Prius' (what is the plurel of Prius?) that had arrived - no waiting list. Had a great salesman that was an former surfing buddy of my housemate.

Was so nervous driving the Prius home - it is white btw - which is what I wanted because it is so hot here in Miami.

Wanted to share this with you all as I have been reading this board since last Feb.
  • Options
    Sounds like you're a happy camper. Welcome to our hybrid family. You too will enjoy many pleasant moments. Any questions feel free to ask.
    Culliganman (04 Prius w/ 16K)
  • Options
    felton1felton1 Member Posts: 6
    I have been out "kicking tires" to see if the Prius is the next car I want to own, having been very impressed with what I have read. There is no such thing here as an on-line price quote. Two dealerships didn't respond at all, two responded with a "come in and we can see what you want and talk about it", and one wrote to tell me to bring a $1,000 nonrefundable check for them to order one, which, if they don't deliver within a year, they will refund my money. Great, a 2005 Prius at *some* price delivered in the Spring of 2006.

In any event, I did go to a Toyota dealership just to check out a car up close and personal and they did have one on the lot available for immediate purchase. It was silver, pkg 5 with a Toyota MSRP of something less than $24K, with about $1,400 of "dealer added options", largely no value extra mark up, i.e. "fabric guard, paint protection, first aid kit"...you get the idea. Finally there was $6k of "market adjustment", bringing the total price to something over $30K.

I was fairly impressed with the car, although I am still in the early stages of decision making. They brought out every high pressure sleaze tactic in the book, which is pretty much par for the course for Toyota dealers in this area. They required me to valet park my car, so I couldn't leave, told me I needed to fill out a credit application, "because it was legally required by law after 9/11 to make sure I wasn't a terrorist"...what BS. Of course I didn't do it. I had made no offer on any car and didn't intend to finance it through them in any event. Anyway, it was such a distasteful experience that I wouldn't buy any car from them at any price.

FYI, before I left, they did agree to sell me the car at MSRP and give me KBB tradein value on my car. A good deal if I hadn't been so turned off by the dealership. Whether they would or not is hard to say, but I won't be back...ever.

I have owned several Toyotas over the years and they have all been great cars. The buying experiences have always been nightmares. One of the reasons I don't currently drive a Toyota now.

Oh...it was Toyota of Dallas, by the way.
  • Options
    Wow! Can't blame you for not giving them your business. But the Metroplex is a huge car market, with many Toyota dealers. Have you tried any others?
  • Options
    I have lived in Dallas for almost 30 years and have owned Toyotas for probably half that time. Toyota service in Dallas is usually good. The cars are great. The sales tactics are the worst. Consumer's Reports usually give Toyotas very high marks for owner's satisfaction with the vehicles and very low marks for Toyota dealership buying experiences. That is certainly the way it is around here. I suppose it goes with the territory when the first question out of the salesperson's mouth is "how much do you want your monthly payment to be?"

In fairness, the supply and demand of the Prius favors the sellers in this market and I understand that. As my old grandfather used to say, though, "you can shear a sheep many times, but you can only skin them once.":) I am watching this forum for dealership recommendations, particularly for MSRP deals. I would rather travel and feel good about my purchase. The personal finance columnist for the Dallas Morning News loves the Prius and has two of them, according to his column. Even he found it advantageous to buy in New Mexico.
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    The buying experiences have always been nightmares.

That sounds like "TimeShare" tactics. I never allow my car to be valet parked anywhere anytime. That would have had me turning around in their lot and heading out. You wonder if Toyota corporate even cares how their cars are sold. You would think they would pull a dealership like that in a heartbeat. It cannot be that hard to find people willing to sell the easiest selling cars in America.
  • Options
    cheapersbettercheapersbetter Member Posts: 8
    I believe it depends on your area. A rare find is very very quickly becoming a common find. IMHO i would wait if you can until late spring to purchase. Might be possible in few months to get one below MSRP. No way should anyone pay above MSRP for a prius these days. Just saw an ad from a local dealer. Says they have 40 Prius avail no waiting list. So I think to much hype about waiting lists.
    Oh yea I own a toyota and I love it! I just despise these dealers trying to hype the low avail of these cars to milk it for all its worth....
  • Options
    Rare as it may sound, on this I totally agree with Gary & others about these deplorable sales tactics. We all have a responsablity to red flag dealers that use pressure tactics and unfavorable methods to push up car sales.
    To bad too that Toyota fails to act on these dealers.
    Culliganman (Buyer Beware)
  • Options
    debldebl Member Posts: 7
    does anyone know of prius being bought at msrp in california? i'm looking in san francisco bay area..most new ones (basic pkg) can find for 22,700 but not less (about 2k above msrp)... certified 04's around 22K and up also... any thoughts?
  • Options
    anyone paying msrp in calif? looking in sf bay area... most new (basic pkg) finding at 22,700 (about 2k above msrp).. certified 04's at 22-23k and above... any thoughts?
  • Options
    does anyone know if certified 04's can get the tax credit (federal) or only new cars?
  • Options
    The deduction (not credit) is only available on new cars. You can read the particulars at
    http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=130146,00.html
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter with a major national magazine is looking for a few car shoppers who are in the process of searching for a car and are deliberating between a hybrid and conventional vehicle. He would be interested to talk to people considering the upcoming hybrid Toyota Highlander and/or RX400h.

We are also looking members who went through similar deliberations but have already made a purchase, including the Ford Escape, Honda Civic, Honda Accord or the Toyota Prius. Please send a brief description of your experience along with your contact information to Kirsten Holguin at kholguin@edmunds.com by Thursday, March 10th.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    rfruthrfruth Member Posts: 630
    I have seriously considered traveling to New Mexico to escape the dreaded Gulf States Toyota.

http://tinyurl.com/4bv9k
  • Options
    mekimeki Member Posts: 1
    I bought one in So.Cal. two weeks ago for $696 less than MSRP. Pkg#6 with floor & cargo mats--MSRP was $26,666. I paid $25,970. Most dealers have several in stock (some dealers have off-site lots). Now that there is no waiting list you can negotiate, you just have to be willing to visit several dealers. Go in with a firm "out-the-door" price. Let them know you are shopping around for the best deal.
  • Options
    i have two offers in front of me: an '04 certified with 9000 miles for $21,500, or an '05 for $22,700. So far the only differences i know of are that the '04 doesn't have side airbags, has the 9k miles, but also has the longer warranty (100,00 mi instead of 60,000)vs '05 with side airbags, no miles, shorter warranty.
    The cost difference is $1700. Does anyone know any other '04/'05 differences, or have an opinion on the pros and cons? (and whether these are good prices anyway...) they are both package 3. thanks
  • Options
    What was the price out the door with tax in
    Fl. and all.... preparation fees etc.
    I think that I am way overpaying for my Prius on order in N.C. So would be interested in your total outlay.

They are not giving me a trade in N.C either.
  • Options
    Why don't you see which car suits you better... I like side air bags.. You can always purchase the warranty.
  • Options
    rfruthrfruth Member Posts: 630
    I'm working on joining the 100,000 dollar club :) but in the mean time is the radio antenna easily removable on a 2004 + Prius ?
  • Options
    To be or not to be (removed). That is the question. YES!! It unscrews. Highly recommended for car washes. Also note: Be careful not to lift the rear wiper to clean or wash Rr window. I've been told by service & salesmen that broken wiper arms are a common repair because owners think the wiper is a flip-up type...about 2 inches if that. By the way, the cost of of repairing the wiper was about a "C" note. Scary!!
    Culliganman(Be Careful)
  • Options
    rpgolferrpgolfer Member Posts: 157
    Hi gang,
    Re the antenna, I found it unscrews by hand if you're strong enough. Definitely remove it for the car wash. I'm also surprised that with all of the technological advantages this car possesses, why wouldn't they put in a "flip-up" wiper on the back? Is it possible to "convert" the wiper to flip up? If it wasn't too expensive, could a "front" wiper be installed on the back to accomplish this benefit? I'd be anxious to find out. Thanks Culliganman for your info.
    Rich
  • Options
    tempusvntempusvn Member Posts: 119
    "why wouldn't they put in a "flip-up" wiper on the back? Is it possible to "convert" the wiper to flip up?"

It is 'flip-up'. It's just held down by a clip on the base to prevent it flipping up due to air-flow while driving.

Remove the clip from the base of the wiper by lifting it off, and the wiper will flip up for cleaning and replacement.

Replace the clip when done.
  • Options
    highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    different between the 2004 and 2005.. ?

should they not be the same ? Is toyota trying to save money ? what is going on ?

also...I am interested in buying a Prius...but found ebay price to be too high.

one dealer , which should remain nameless, actually put a 2005 prius up for bid...and guess what...I asked her around where is the reserve price....and she said the reserve price for the car is placed HIGHER than the MSRP.... in other words...she is trying to inflate the price, by having people bid on the vehicle...and keep having the frustrating "reserve not met" sign keep popping up , until you bid OVER the MSRP !

I am still looking....
  • Options
    fb1fb1 Member Posts: 2
    Meki, Would you mind giving us the dealership name and city where you got your good deal of $696 below MSRP?

Thanks.

FB1
  • Options
    pmkaypmkay Member Posts: 1
    I was just offered a 2004 Blue Demo Prius (3901 miles)for $24500. It is fully loaded with nav, bluetooth, floor mats and bumper guards. They are also considering this a Certified Car so I get the 6 year/100K warranty. Am I crazy? Should I run with it before they realize they are crazy?

Thanx in Advanx
  • Options
    I second the motion....

which dealer is willing to sell the Prius for $700 under MSRP ? please share.... :-)
  • Options
    bobraxtonbobraxton Member Posts: 11
    What was O.T.D. (out-the-door) price paid? We are looking to buy in Virginia just outside Washington, D.C.
    Does Pkg# 5 include cassette playing capability?
  • Options
    Several people have inquired as to the little round plastic cap that covers the hook-up for emergency towing (driver's side front). Of course this should be a moot point on a car that practically never breaks down but lets sort of humor the skeptics. There is a tool attachment for that rare towing situation.
    Culliganman(a car for all seasons)
    P.S. Some salesmen fail to explain this tid-bit.
  • Options
    semenzatosemenzato Member Posts: 41
    I bought a black Prius with Package 6 today at Toyota
    Town in Stockton for $200 below MSRP. I drove from
    Oakland (San Francisco Bay Area, Northern California),
    it's about 1h 20m each way from my house.

I was expecting to pay MSRP but when I called my salesperson
    yesterday he told me there would be some discount. I didn't
    even ask for it---perhaps he wanted to make sure that we
    were really going to get there.

I was on a wait list since late December.
    The purchase was completely uneventful.
    The car had 2 miles on the odometer. There
    was absolutely no pressure to sell us anything
    else.

The salesperson told me that package 6 was still
    in high demand, but there were several package
    3 and 4 ready to go on the lot.

Hope this helps and good luck to everybody!
    Luigi
  • Options
    Hi Luigi:

Thanks for your info.... I was going to go to Melody Toyota , since a friend works there...but still have not gone in there....wanted to compare prices first.

Was in STockton for the first time last month...it has grown, with lots of new shops...but am glad that the salesman did not try to squeeze you for more....

I will check with them .
  • Options
    joebeattjoebeatt Member Posts: 50
    Hi railroadjames. I'm surprised to read that the standard tires on your Prius are not rated for performance hi speeds. In Europe you get your Prius on tires that would easily do 140 mph for an infinite amount of time (Michelin Pilot Premacy). What kind of tires do you get in the USA?
  • Options
    This certified vs new question has me puzzled.. i am offered a certified '04 package 4 with 17k miles, for $21,900.. this seems like a good price, yet a new is around $23,600, maybe negotiable for a couple of hundred, so around 1500 more for 17,000 miles... doesn't it make more sense then to just get a new one as the price is so close? yes certified has longer drivetrain warranty but the other warranty's have that many miles used up....and the new one gets the tax deduction.. any thoughts? help! have to decide today...
  • Options
    cammer2cammer2 Member Posts: 38
    I'm just curious .. or my mind wanders way too much ...

Has anyone heard if there might actually be something like a Prius GT in the works? Something along the lines of CS&S concept car shown on Toyota's web-site for future vehicles?

Barring that, wondered if the US might ever get something like a Prius SE (using Camry nomenclature) - since it sounds like the Prii sold in Europe get better brakes/suspension/etc ..

Any thoughts ..........?
  • Options
    So for $1500 less you lose the tax deduction (worth several hundred $ to most people) plus you have an extra year's depreciation ('04 vs. '05). Plus you have no way to tell how the used car was driven/abused during break-in and afterwards. If it were me, I'd pay the extra bucks for new.
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    GO for the new one, better interest rate and you get the $2000 tax incentive...