Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius

Comments

• woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    Has anyone gone from a Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, etc. to a Prius? If you, how are you adapting to the Prius? I have a bmw 5 series wagon (E-39); great car, low miles, "pretty good" mileage with the I-6. But, the tax breaks on the Prius, the 40mpg, & paying $35.50 in gas to go 280 miles all have me thinking. Someone told me driving the Prius is like driving a Corolla or Camry, which I guess I could live with. I can order an '06 Prius for a $1000 refundable deposit, MSRP, 6 mo. wait. Worse comes to worse, if I really don't like the Prius (which I doubt), I assume the resale is extremely strong. Any thoughts? TIA!

PS falconone, thanks for the advice on options. I'm thinking of going with Pck. #4, no xenons, but VSC, SKS, all the airbags......oh I guess I don't get CD changer with that. Wish I knew the option prices.
  • falcononefalconone Member Posts: 1,726
    I have owned an Audi allroad, Mercedes C320, Audi A4, Subaru WRX all in the last few years. I have no problem at all going into the Prius. I am getting an 06, but I have extensive seat time in an 04 (same thing pretty much). You won't have any problem at all. Do a google search for some Prius forums and you'll get much more feedback than here.
  • railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    I went from a Lincoln Town Car to a Prius. That should show & indicate a wide and diverse change in autos. Massive size has its advantages but they're sorely overpassed by common sense.
    Railroadjames ;)
    Here is a link that will allow you to see numerous videos about the Prius. Most interesting are the crash tests. Once you click the link below, click on goodies and you're there. Enjoy!!

http://tinyurl.com/albwc
  • sammycccsammyccc Member Posts: 13
    hi aleknit,
    would you give me more detail who did the leather for your prius? are you satisfied? i am interested to put one in for mine! thanks in advance!

sammyccc
  • woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    falconone & railroadjames,

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like you don't feel "deprived" in going from luxury or sports sedans to a Prius. That's my real question: I'm so "spoiled" by the wood, leather, S/R, heated seats, handling of my bmw.......I guess the only way to know my own reaction is to order a Prius & find out. (I know you can get leather now, but I want to get minimal options as part of the whole reason for me is to save $$). The no heated seats may be the toughest for me......

falconone, what kind of options/color are you getting?
    I can't decide between the blue and the white. If you want, you can have heated seats with leather installed as aftermarket for less than $1,000. Looks great. One thing I'd suggest is to rent one for a long weekend. It's worth the money to see if you really can live with the car. I've done that and I was sold! I also drive my sister's car whenever I go to visit.
  • pduboispdubois Member Posts: 73
    Thanks for the reply Falconone. I guess you are right, it's gone be MSRP anyway!
    No problem. Better put your deposit down now! I have a deal in writing for $500 under MSRP with a Jan/06 delivery. I am going to get the one with all the options. Really looking forward to finally owning one myself.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Option #8 on 2006s provides leather for only about $1,000
    From my local Toyota dealer :

"I will sell you any Prius in inventory for $300 over invoice. If you conclude this purchase before the end of the month I will tint all the windows for free. How does your schedule look for the rest of the week? Please call me when you have a minute and we can go over my inventory. I hope you had a safe weekend!!! "
    Yes for 2007 they will offer a optional sunroof, power seats, auto lights,class I towing package, and a Prius GT model.
    Actually, most of the stranded vehicle weren't gas hogs but just "normal" cars. People were averaging only 5 miles per hour. Lot's of stop,stop,stop, go, stop,stop, go, stop, stop. Even Prius cars were left stranded.

Mass evacuation, with 2.2 million people and some 1.7 million voluntary. There just wasn't enough gas or resupply tankers to handle.

However with the Prius HSD system and the engine stop and electric power, most Prius drivers eventually made it :) and yes most Hummer drivers did not. :(

Cheers to a 6-speed Prius,

MidCow

P.S.- Does anyone else have the extra capacity gas tank that RailroadJames does? His is 12 gallons.
    O.K......So I rounded the tank out to 12 gallons...In actuality it's 11.9 ....Sorry about that lousy tenth. I didn't think WE here at this hybrid site were so exact. I'll endeavor to be more precise next time.
    Railroadjames (run Forest run....to a Prius Dealer!!!)
    O.K......So I rounded the tank out to 12 gallons...In actuality it's 11.9 ....Sorry about that lousy tenth. I didn't think WE here at this hybrid site were so exact. I'll endeavor to be more precise next time.
    Railroadjames (run Forest run....to a Prius Dealer!!!) ;)
    Hey railroadjames are you in a valley? , I hear an echo ;)

Glad you are enjoying your Prius so much! Is it true because of the bladder expansion you never get close to 11.9 gallons, even on a full fill-up. What is the most you have ever put in your tank?

YMMV,

MidCow
    Sorry........Had a time warp and Scotty couldn't beam me up to the "other" deminsion. In other words.....I was baby sitting and taking care of my wife and the dogs said it was time to "take us outside or else." Get my drift? I goofed!

P.S. The most, on one fill-up was 10.4 gallons...559 miles :D
    Railroadjames(getting old just like my Prius)
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    Hey, midnight cowboy, just what is the official source for the information you presented here about the 2007 prius? That's a significant list of cool features the '06 is lacking. That's the way I like my vehicles . . . loaded! The '07 sounds more like the one for me, but I wouldn't want to wait that long unless your information is truly accurate. Otherwise, it's an '06. Thanks.
  • toycashtoycash Member Posts: 139
    I wouldn't count on seeing any of those changes. Toyota would be very unlikely to change that many things one year after a change.
    Toyota already has these improvements in developement and are waiting to see how thier competiton fares before introducing them. Their abically was only one or two players in the hybrid game. The competition is starting to get stiffer and whoever has the most bells and whistles will take all the marbles or at least the majority. Obviously , it is an emotional game (green or high mpg or unique look or feature) becuase it is obviously not a economics game.

And belive it or not thier are Toyota HSD Prius developers that regularly visit this forum. Why do you think there is a "mouse fur" replacement option, not becuase of the loyal Prius lemmings.

Okay the Prius has a lot of features and good qualities. But what about the people on the fence that might buy if only it had such and such a feature. These features will be introduced. Remember what complaints and criticisms thier have been with the Prius, no power seats, no sun roof, languid accleration. Toyota listens; solutions are coming. Just wait and see.

Cheers,

MidCow.
  • john100john100 Member Posts: 1
    where is the dealership, and what do you have in stock
    Please post this on some of the Prius boards with dealer info. Hopefully he doesn't mean $300 over MSRP.
  • kic92kic92 Member Posts: 1
    If I buy a used 2004 Prius after Jan '06, am I still eligible for the tax credit or must the car's model year be 2006 as well?

Thanks!
    Sorry to say...no. If it is a NEW 05 (doubtful) it will qualify.
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    I think this was just a bulk form letter he sent out and forgot to exclude Prius's from it. Toyota is counting availabe Prius's on hand in Hours now so I don't think this is a legit offer
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    My understanding is that the credit only applies when the car is first put into service. This disqualifies all used cars, period.
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    shop on autotrader and cars.com new cars and you will find many many dealers with new and used Priuses available.
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    So, Midnight Cowboy, in REALITY, there is NOTHING OFFICIAL to back up the claims you made regarding the "07 Prius. Of course, it's very good reasoning to expect advancements in the features as well as the designs from model year to model year, but you made a statement that claimed there would be certain features on the '07, and basically you made it up from your imagination! (although it does sound like a good idea) Try to back up your statements next time with hard evidence or facts. Thanks anyway, MidCow. I have to admit, I'd love to see the Prius equipped the way you described, but I'll have to stick to the actual choices of options that Toyota offers in REAL LIFE!!!
    The 06 Prius will have a leather option. I don't think power seats are an option but who cares? I have power seats and I can't remember the last time I touched the switch. LESS to break!! I do hope they make an up and down adjustment. That has been a complaint from some drivers.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    It's odd that the height adjuster, larger rubber etc. are on the European Prius but not here in the U.S. So it would be easy to bring those features here. Letter-writing/email campaign to Toyota, anyone?
  • juslooknjuslookn Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know why Toyota has not released any pricing on the '06 Prius ? Also ,why would I order a 2006 without seeing a brochure showing any body changes,colors,options,etc. ? My local dealership says to just go ahead and order one !
    I don't think so. Every other '06 model is either on the lots or they have complete details.
    Why is the new Prius kept under wraps ?
    Anyone out there know ??
    Thanks !
  • sr45sr45 Member Posts: 144
    Just put down the required hold deposit that is refundable, so you won't have to wait until after you see it or a picture comes out. When the car arrives, and you don't like it, cancel it and get the money back... REAL SIMPLE
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    if that was what I would suspect you have very good hearing...

The new Prius uses a high frequency PWM voltage up-converter to change the battery DC voltage to AC for the motors. High pitched noise coming from the back.
  • tnanatnana Member Posts: 10
    Just visited Sansone Toyota in Woodbridge.
    They first quoted two prices (MSRP) 23K+ for base and 27K+ with options.

I disputed with advertised MSRP and then the guy took me to Toyota's website.
    I showed him there that MSRP of base is about 22K.

Apparently their base model is with option 3 and higher model has everything.

THEN he mentioned about ADJUSTED price.

I told him I'm not paying anything more than what he showed me on Toyota's website and walked out.
    SANSONE sucks. Save your time and call around. I am buying mine in Scranton, PA. My family has been dealing with them for many, many years.
    It's coming out Nov 21st (or somewhere near that date). Not every car comes out the same date. There are tons of websites that have info on the 06 Prius. Do a google search. Pricing with be a few hundred bucks more. Don't forget the nice fat juicy tax credit of $3,150!!
    Do they have it in stock ?
    I want it Jan 06 (not just for tax credit)
    Have you just booked ? Can you please post price ?
    I don't mind going there. But I couldn't find any website for Toyota dealer in Scranton PA

TIA
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    In working for a Toyota dealership it is common practice for Toyota to delay the pricing until the vehicles are close to the delivery time. I understand that '06 prices will be known later this month as the Prius' start to be produced in Japan. The first ones are due in the States in mid Dec.

To answer your latter questions I'm certain that Toyota is fully aware of the Tax benefits accruing to US buyers in 2006. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that they are coordinating the arrival of the NEW Prius with the IRS startup for the Tax Credit on Jan 1. The vehicle will be essentially the same with a few new colors and a few new features. The brochures for all Toyotas normally arrive along with the vehicles ( mid-Dec ).

That being said, we already have orders in house specifying delivery after Jan1 with 2 or 3 package options and 2 or 3 color options - whichever combination arrives first. These customers are certain to get their vehicle first because they are the most flexible. If you deal with a reputable store put down a deposit reserving your place in the line subject to you liking the package/color option you are offered. You can always bump yourself down the list if you dont like what is offered. We do that all the time. I think the longest anyone has waited is an additonal 4-6 weeks.

FWIW

kdhspyder
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Lived in North Jersey for 20+ yrs and moved recently to the Outer Banks but I work up in Chesapeake, VA at a Toyota dealership.

Be careful about how and when you order your Prius. The new '06's will arrive in early/mid Dec. Most dealerships will want to move these off the lot IMMEDIATELY ( within hours ) in order to earn additonal Prius' in later allocations. If you take one of these you will not earn the new Tax Credit for deliveries after Jan 1 2006.

We are taking orders for delivery ASAP ( those who dont care abt the credit ) and for delivery only after Jan 1 for those who do want it.

Be clear up front or you might not get what's coming to you.

kdhspyder
    DCH Brunswick Toyota on Rt 1 in New Brunswick NJ claims chances are excellent for January delivery if booked today. MSRP only (no ADJUSTED price)
  • library1library1 Member Posts: 54
    Today I went to see about geting a Prius- Here's what I found.

1. No test drive available- all are presold.
    2. 2006 Prius ordered today will be delivered in April. :surprise:
    3. This sales area has 3 packages you can choose from- the basic one I ordered has the Side Airbags, Rear camera, Keyless entry and some minor stuff (package HF). Another package has the VSC. Third has the works.
    4. Price not yet known- but it will be sold at MSRP. $500 deposit.

April delivery puts it uncomfortably close to the 60,000 unit limit for the Tax credit. Which the salesman knew about. What they didn't know was the new colors available or details about the specs.

And the 6 month wait was only 3 months before Katrina drove the gas to $3/gal. Says the salesman.....
    Interesting. So I ordered one in "light blue".

Do a google search for "john prius" and look for "john1701a" for the 2006 updates, esp. the packages. He has a LOT of good Prius info and a great website.
    Don't settle for just one dealer. You are limiting your chances of getting one. Call up Gibbons Toyota in Scranton. I can assure you that you'll get one WAY before April. That is where I am getting mine.
    Honda just raised Civic Hybrid by $1800
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    tnana,

You are incorrect. Honda raised the MSRP of the 2006 Civic Hybrid to $21,850 from the 2005 Civic Hybrid's $20,900. That's an increase of $950, NOT $1,800.

They also increased the content level by at least that amount.
  • nchinchi Member Posts: 7
    Hi Aleknit. I am in the SF Bay Area with a new 05 Prius. Can you send me the company that installed the leather for you? Do you have pics?

Thanks
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    check for a Classic Soft Trim dealer in you area, they do leather for most of the dealers

www.classicsofttrim.com
    Of all the (few & occasional) times I have filled up, the most gas I was able to put in the tank of my '04 Prius was 11.1 gallons. That being said, my tripometer showed 568 miles. I was surprised that I was able to squeek that much in. I have noticed, as of late, that due to the rubber diaphram in the tank allows for patient trickling into the tank as much as 1-1/2 gallons more gas than I usually put in the tank. (a warm day). :confuse:
  • bertinncbertinnc Member Posts: 2
    kdhspyder,

I also live in NC (Moyock) and drive to Suffolk (Bennett's Creek) every day to work. I am looking to get a 2006 Prius in January. Are y'all doing any deals below MSRP? Do you know anything on which Option Packages will be available for the Central Atlantic region?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A national paper would like to hear from consumers who have purchased a Toyota Prius and have had stalling problems. If you have a story to share, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime and cell contact info, city/state of residence, and the year of your Prius no later than Thursday, October, 13, 2005. The deadline for the story is today, so the reporter would be contacting you today as well.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "April delivery puts it uncomfortably close to the 60,000 unit limit for the Tax credit. Which the salesman knew about. What they didn't know was the new colors available or details about the specs."

An April delivery will be guaranteed to get the tax credit. The credit goes on for the next full quarter year after the 60,000 unit mark. After that it continues, but at a 50% tax credit for 6 months, then at 25% tax credit for another 6 months.