Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius

Comments

• jpeters1970jpeters1970 Member Posts: 82
    That is not documented in the manual. Do a google search and there are tons of sites which document the procedure. It automatically resets every 5000 miles.
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    Toyota Canada reduced the MSRP for Prius by $1900 yesterday. IMO they only finished what they started last September with reductions of almost $3000. It's now sitting about where it needs to be to stop Canadian buyers looking to buy south of the border.
  • cheryl06priuscheryl06prius Member Posts: 50
    For the Engine Oil Replacement Reminder on the '06 Prius, it is on page 130:

1)Press the "POWER" switch to "OFF" mode with the odometer reader showing.

2)Press the "POWER" switch twice to select the "IG-ON" mode while holding down the trip meter reset button. Hold the button down for at least 5 seconds.
  • jwindmonjwindmon Member Posts: 2
    I know that the Toyota Prius is over rated because I used to sell them. You would be better off buying a car that gets 30+ mpg. They used to tell us that in the meetings when I worked at toyota. They thought it was funny. It makes perfect sense. Why pay $10,000 more on a vehicle at the time of purchase just to save pennies at the pump over time. It takes YEARS to just break even when you buy a prius. I wouldn't ever buy a prius. I just cant see paying $25,000 for a prius when I can get a a SX4 (which is rated better than the over priced corolla) for $15,000. You do the math!!! -Jerome Windmon
    Is that the Suzuki you are referring to? That thing is so ugly. In that class I'd get the Rogue. The Prius is a great car for the price.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Some people just are not cut out for understanding complex ideas. From your post it's not a wonder that you busted out. Your understanding is too simplistic to be valid.....and your data is wrong thus your analysis is faulty. Just do the math.

Research will help you.....somewhat. But consider this. The success of the Prius continues unabated so somewhere you missed something.
    I can't believe I fell for it. Your well reasoned argument makes it all seem so clear now. I shall go to my nearest Suzuki dealer and trade my Prius in against an SX4 on Monday. If only I had been able to consult you before I made such a huge mistake I might have been able to avoid it.
  • scottc3scottc3 Member Posts: 137
    "I know that the Toyota Prius is over rated because I used to sell them. You would be better off buying a car that gets 30+ mpg. They used to tell us that in the meetings when I worked at toyota. They thought it was funny. It makes perfect sense. Why pay $10,000 more on a vehicle at the time of purchase just to save pennies at the pump over time. It takes YEARS to just break even when you buy a prius. I wouldn't ever buy a prius. I just cant see paying $25,000 for a prius when I can get a a SX4 (which is rated better than the over priced corolla) for $15,000. You do the math!!! -Jerome Windmon "

----- Hey Jerome - Thanks for your insight. Sorry you don't work at Toyota any longer, it's one of the top selling manufacturers in the US.. and their quality is always appreciated. Why did you leave? How long were you there? We all know the turn-over is car sales people is very high, but leave Toyota ? Here's what is interesting to me, when a car salesman works for a certain company, it's the 'best' car manufacturer in the world, as your pay check relies on this. Then you change jobs and there is always something wrong the the last manufacturer...

--- Will you be suggesting a motorcycle next, much less expensive, better than average gas mileage.

Here is my point, the Prius is a very nice car for the money. It's not for everyone. If the only reason you buy a Prius is for gas mileage, this may be a mistake. Can anyone think of other reasons to buy a Prius? I can think of several, but I'll let you (the reader) come up with your own reasons.

Hey, Grandtotal... have you looked at a Toyota Yaris? Yes, a Toyota, but not many will argue about the price vs quality of a Toyota. Personally, I'd buy a Toyota over a Suzuki any day of the week, based on manufacturing and quality - and years of being a top selling manufacturer... but that's just me.

Just for fun, I looked up car manufacturer ratings..
    Toyota – 3.66
    Suzuki – 2.97
    (A huge difference!)
    Just for reference – BMW – 3.67, Mercedes, 3.33

Here is the site these numbers came from…
    http://mycarstats.com/ratings/100makes_all_years.asp

As a final thought, look at all the Prius's sold. If we were to assume all the buyers have NOT done the math, I think we can agree this would be a faulty statement. I'm sure there are a few smart buyers out there.. and they bought the Prius for some reason.

Hope you enjoy your new Suzuki.

sc
    scottc3,

My reply to jwindmon was tongue in cheek. There is no way I'd trade in my Prius for a Suzuki or anything else for that matter. I know exactly why I bought it and saving money on fuel was only one reason, and not even the most important at that. The Yaris while fine value for money is too small for our needs. Why does everybody compare Prius to Yaris? I think it must be because they have the same size gas engine, but really that's where the similarity ends (except that they both have core Toyota values).
  • 2dogsinva2dogsinva Member Posts: 1
    I have 2 dogs - both about 100lbs each. I am considering purchasing a Prius...but will both of my dogs fit in the back?
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "To post a message, compose your text, then click on Post My Message below. After posting, you may edit your post for 30 minutes. Your personal security is important to us, so please do not post your email address in a message."

Contact the dealer and ask them if you can bring in the "4 legged kids" to see if they fit comfortably. It is worth a try.

Are you planning to crate them, or just let them roam free back there?
  • rick294rick294 Member Posts: 77
    Also, the Prius if often compared to the Matrix. Don't know why that is, either. It really doesn't compare to much of anything else, actually. It has approximately the same interior space of a Camry and is shorter than a Corolla, slightly. I see them categorized as compact cars, but they really qualify as intermediates, because interior volume is how the classes are differentiated, not exterior size. Go figure.
    In a slick trick of marketing hocus pocus Toyota has created a stand-alone vehicle that really isn't a stand-alone vehicle.

It appears smaller than a Corolla but it has far more room inside
    It is smaller than a Camry but it has far more usable room
    It's a 5 door hatch where the other two are 4 door sedans..

What other 4 cyl 5 door hatch does Toyota produce? It's the Matrix. Not by coincidence alone, the ICE-only Matrix is almost exactly the same size as the Prius and it's about $3500 less in price than the Prius. That's the 'hybrid premium'.

Same configuration
    Same room inside
    Both are 4cyl vehicles
    Same equipment
    One has a hybrid upgrade and gets 48 mpg on average.
    One is a traditional ICE and gets 27 mpg on average.
    We bought our Package #2 Prius December 26, 07. Not long before they totally disappeared from dealer lots and the lines began to form. We love it. We are well aware that we could buy, say, a Corolla that gets in the high 30's with the benefit of a gas/electric engine for less money. However: one unexpected, but huge benefit has been (after the fact, no less) is that our car, with nearly 14k miles on it, could be sold at any time for at least what we paid for it. It is truly rare for a car to hold its value such as this one has. At least so far. That won't always be the case, as more variety and availability is going to start showing up over the next couple of years and hybrids will be much more common.
    I agree wholeheartedly. Some folks just don't get it. I wonder what will happen when the $40k Chevy Volt finally appears. Will arguments be made against that vehicle as well? It is pricey but definitely a step in the right direction. The Prius is a great vehicle at a good price point. That's why it sells like hotcakes!
  • tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    Someone had told me might be this forum or another one in CarSpace that there were 10 Prius available at a dealer in the State next to me. These dealers do not take cars off of their website. So all the Priuses are sold and websites are not updated.
    So if you rely on dealer websites it's probably inaccurate.
    In New England the earliest for delivery is Winter.
    I have a 2008 Prius, but you know, if I were wishing for one right now, I wouldn't play the "gotta have one at any price" game. Heck with that. There are alternatives that come within shouting distance of the Prius (mileage-wise) that don't cost as much. Corolla, Civic, etc. Dealers, being what they are, will likely charge sticker for them. It's the times we're in, folks.
  • dofferdoffer Member Posts: 16
    The dealers may do this as a marketing ploy to get people to inquire about cars, availability notwithstanding, or perhaps they are just not timely in updating their website. If that's the case, then it makes you wonder about the dealership and how many other things are they not doing timely or correctly....
    I clearly do not fall into the gotta have it category. In 2 years the market will be flooded and dealers will be begging from every contact they ignored right now. Fact is it's a shortage because no one expected the Prius to sell like it has.
    Gas will drop some and that will ease off the demand.
    Lots of nice cars out there but my wife doesn't like the Corolla or the Civic (we have an Si). She likes riding in the Si but prefers the Prius or the Fit for visibility.
    30mpg is what I get in the Si combined City and highway, and that's with 10% ethanol in the gas year round.
    We are going to wait and either buy a new Fit or Yaris or get a next Gen Hybrid in 2010.
    She likes riding in the Si but prefers the Prius or the Fit for visibility.

That's the first time I have heard anybody accuse the Prius of good visibility. I find it one of Prius' minor bad points.
    I like the visibility in the Prius better than my 4 previous Camry's and my wife's MR2 and Solara Convertibles. That back window issue is of no concern if the mirrors are set up right, especially with the backup camera.
    That's the first time I have heard anybody accuse the Prius of good visibility. I find it one of Prius' minor bad points.

My wife is very short and has trouble seeing out the back of most cars. The Prius has that rear window in the hatch which works very well for her and she's comfy enough behind the wheel with the limited adjustments that it has. It does have very thick A pillars but so does my Civic Si.
    Rear visibility in a Civic isn't very good. You can't see the nose or the tail.
  • jwindmonjwindmon Member Posts: 2
    I said that the Prius is "OVER-RATED" <---------This doesn't mean "bad car".I just had to clear that up, because it seems as if people think that is the definition of what over rated means or something. I dont know, maybe its just me.(Didnt think anyone would get their GREEN panties in a bunch over 1 mans opinion. BUT ANYWAY, I feel that the prius is a GOOD car. I just dont see the prius being the number 1 vehicle choice of anyone thats trying to save gas.( The whole reason we are trying to save on gas is to keep money in our pockets. Right? Then tell me why the heck would I pay $10,000-$15,000 more on a vehicle up-front just to save pennies at the pump down the line. Just doesn't make sense to me. You WOULD BE better off getting a yaris vs getting a prius. By the way . . .scotty . . . .(the SX4 thing was an example) I own a Honda).Toyota has always made a hella nice vehicle. I just know that toyota isnt the only one making quality cars anymore. Times have changed. Suzuki is the number 1 selling car in JAPAN though. (just in case you didnt know that) Its funny because A LOT of the people at toyota factories in japan drive Suzuki's to work. The reason me and quite a few others left the toyota dealership here is because they treated employees AND CUSTOMERS like crap. The rest are looking for new jobs as we type. But since you like stats so much scotty . . .find out how long it takes to break even when you buy a prius. Then find out how long people usually keep their cars before they trade them in for something else. THEEEENN tell me if it still makes sense to buy a prius just to save gas. :)
    The key point that you miss in this is that you're viewing this from the perspective only of a $15000 - $20000 buyer. In this case your are exactly corrent it makes NO sense to spend $25000 for a vehicle to save a few thousand $$ in gas.

Now view this from the perspective of a $30000 - $45000 vehicle buyer who also doesn't want to spend extra money on gas. There are MILLIONS of these buyers out there in NA. They will not ever consider a $15000 or $19000 vehicle under any circumstance.....but they DO want to save money on gas. Most can afford the extra expense of $4 per gallon gas it's just that they choose NOT to spend it if they can get away from doing so. So they choose the most efficient $25000 - $30000 vehicle they can.

To address your breakeven question...again you are viewing it from a lower-income- level buyer. What if the $28000 price is $5000 lower than you normally spend on a vehicle. Heck in this case you're already $5000 ahead of the game.....then there's a savings on gas on top of that.

The Prius and HCH are not just for those scrimping to make the rent payment. In fact these buyers should NOT be buying a new vehicle anyway.

This is the gold mine that Toyota and Honda discovered and are mining now.
  • davew13davew13 Member Posts: 2
    Is the front seat legroom different in the 2008 Prius vs. the 2007? I sat in a new 2008 and my legs were very cramped (I'm 6'6") but when I sat in a used 2007 there seemed to be more room. Vehicle specs for both years show the same amount of space, so I'm wondering if there is a slight difference in how the seats are set, etc. Does anyone know if there's a difference? :confuse: Any input will be greatly appreciated!
  • kayenkayen Member Posts: 5
    Instead of just thinking about purchase price, one has to consider trade in value at the end of ownership. You can be sure that the residual on a Prius or HCH will be far greater than a non hybrid. I traded in a Lexus ES350 for my Prius and couldn't be happier. I feel it is more of a correct car for today and I feel like a kid in it all over again. It is also easier getting in and out of spaces as well as my garage. Every family should have one high mileage vehicle to counter gas price fluctuations.
    Precisely and well stated. There are literally millions like you in NA.

With the risk of gas going toward $6 within the next 6 yrs not wanting to waste money on fuel is not reserved only for the struggling young couples. Everyone is concerned about potentially setting too much money on fire. However this desire to save fuel dollars doesn't relegate everyone to a $15000 beater/econobox.
    With the risk of gas going toward $6 within the next 6 yrs...

We'll be at $6 long before 6 years have elapsed. Cost of gas is not a large factor in why we bought a Prius.
    Well... not to stray too far off topic... I don't think gas will be $6 in 6 years. At any rate I am sure glad I got my Prius and I bought it for the features/versatility and good gas mileage. I currently have 200 miles on this tank and my avg MPG is 50.5. I recently read a test on the Smart Four Two. Now to me, that car makes no sense at all. It requires premium fuel, seats 2 and gets 36 mpg overall. Why not get a Honda Fit that seats 4 comfortable and gets 30 mpg on REGULAR gas? Apparently the Smart car is selling very well. Not sure how SMART it is to buy one though (Pun intended!)
  • fseaverfseaver Member Posts: 13
    Purchased mine in March 2008. You won't be sorry, Gas mileage 51.1 MPG. very comfortable. I drove up to high Sierra's to test mountain driving . No problems handled just great. :)
  • fseaverfseaver Member Posts: 13
    My satellite has music that is nice but the CD player in the Prius is much better.
  • yellowmanyellowman Member Posts: 209
    Hi all,

I'm in the market for a 2009 Prius and I live in Southern California. Ideally, I would like the Package 3 Prius, which includes the Bluetooth but not the Navigation system. Two different local dealers have told me that I cannot get a Package 3 or 4 in Southern California - only a Package 2 or 5 (or higher). Here are my questions:

1. What US states DO offer a Package 3?
    2. Has anyone had a Toyota dealer install an after-market bluetooth phone system onto a Prius that did not come with it? What was it like? The dealer gave this option for about $400.00.

Any advice would be very helpful!

Mike
  • sthogesthoge Member Posts: 28
    They sell package 3 in Washington state.... We had an option to get package 3, but settled on 2 because of the deal we were getting and the only 3 that they had was a color we could not stand...
  • initialtbinitialtb Member Posts: 1
    hi, im new and i just got my prius for like a month now, but i got rip of by the dealer, i got the package 2 but they charge me 27G i though 27G would include everything like the bucktooth and Nav so i buy it, but they hold my prius for 3 day because i was installing a remote starter so i didn't get to c what in the prius, so i got rip of so bad, so i complen but they say they put wood in the interior and wit all this stupid thing that y is 27G =( so yea cheak everthing u want in your car even thoel the price might be the same price as the package you want they might add stuff to make it the same price even thole u don't need it =(, ohh i got a question on the prius, is it spoce to make noises when u turn it off?
    ...is it spoce to make noises when u turn it off?

Yes.
    Yes, the Prius will make interesting little clicks, hums and who-knows-what. The book says that it will do some kind of electrical check several hours after shutting it off. Interesting.
  • jimmyo1jimmyo1 Member Posts: 1
    Twice today when I shut off my 1 yr old Prius, it beeped once and the hazard lights flashed once. There were no warning lights on the dashboard and nothing on the screen to indicate a problem. The car was in park as it normally is when I shut it off. Despite this apparent warning of some sort, the car appeared to shut off normally. I can find nothing in the owner's manual indicating what the Prius was trying to warn me of? Can anyone shed any light on this?
  • thekingtheking Member Posts: 107
    I need feedback for price on 15,000 mile checkup at a dealer,which would not include a new air filter element as mine is as clean as could be.. :D
  • jimlockeyjimlockey Member Posts: 265
    I'm thinking about buying an 09 Prius and have some questions.

What mpg would you get with the air condioner running and driving at 70 mph?
  • stevegoldstevegold Member Posts: 185
    I have a 2004 Prius. On interstate highways, going at 70-80mph, I get 40-45mph with the A/C on. If you hold it down to 70, you'll get 45-50 maybe even more. The onboard computer calculations are pretty accurate so a test drive should confirm this. Going uphill, snow tires, head winds all are adverse factors but they should generally average out. It's hard to better that with any other similar size car.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Has anyone figured out what it costs to replace the batteries in the Prius? How long do they last. Yes now you get 45mpg but against about 35+ on another simular car. But how does this all average out after battery replacement. Will you still be ahead of the gas only car or will it overtake you at the end. Another question. What happens when both cars are traded in at about 5 or 6 years and the Prius is at or near the end of the battery lifespan. Do you take a hosing on trade and end up with a lot less than the gas car or what. Has anyone gone through this yet and what are everyones ideas on this.
    Having the AC on or off doesn't affect the fuel economy that much. In fact it doesn't affect it directly at all.

In all the Toyota hybrids the AC is electric, running off the main traction battery. There is no connection to the ICE at all. Thus when driving at 70+ mpg with the AC you shouldn't notice any difference in fuel economy. What will happen though is that in times of heavy usage the battery will have more draw on it if the AC is on and you are accelerating strongly thus it will need to be charged somewhat more often by the ICE.

This electric AC feature is one of the great innovations in this 2nd generation of hybrids. There is no free lunch of course because the battery gets charged ultimately from the action of burning fuel in the ICE. But it's very efficient, moreso than a traditional ICE vehicle.
    These questions have been asked ever since the hybrids first arrived. Here are the short answers ( details can be found all over the web ).

1. The batteries never need to be replaced. NEVER! There is no schedule for replacement. Initially it was wondered how long they would last. It seems now after 11 yrs on the road that they truly will last the life of the vehicle, 200K for sure! 300K probably. 400K why not?

2. What is the cost of replacement? 2 months ago Toyota announce the following retail prices ....
    Gen 1 batteries $2289 + labor
    Gen 2 batteries $2599 + labor

Immediately some Toyota stores offered discounts under $2000.

3. Since there is no lifespan for the batteries and they do not need to be replaced buyers are finding that the resale values of used Prius' are higher than the non-hybrids.
  • jaime9jaime9 Member Posts: 1
    I want a roof that opens installed on my 2007 Prius. I need to know how many options are there?
    I don't believe it's possible and it may void your warranty(s) if something fails down the road. I believe it has something to do with the SKS.
  • stevegoldstevegold Member Posts: 185
    My nephew Bruce had a sunroof installed in his 2006 Prius. No problems. He lives in CA. He also did leather seats before they were available OEM.
    Give me your email address and I'll pass it on to him.
    It is possible, I have seen one. I have no idea who made it or installed it. The installers would have had to take great care to avoid damaging the bracing members behind the head lining. I don't think I would do it myself.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter from a national magazine would like to speak with Toyota Prius owners who have bought the Hymotion kit to convert their car into plug-in hybrid. If you own or drive one of these converted vehicles, please respond to jwahl@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Monday, November 17th.
  • boots3boots3 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

Just bought a slightly used 08 prius yesterday (11/22) and so far everything is great. The only problem I'm having is with the smart key. When I'm sitting in the car, with the key in my pocket, I can start the car just fine. When I'm outside of the car, and grab the handle, the door will not unlock and open. I have to dig the key out and press the unlock button on the key. It's the same for locking the car. I have to press the lock button to lock the doors. Any thoughts?
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Don't have that option but my wifes STS does and in her car you have to go into the menu and program that feature if you want it or else you do as you are now. I'm guessing yours is same or simular.