Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jayvisjayvis Member Posts: 76
    I currently drive a 2009 Lexus RX350. I wasn't really taken with the looks of the RX either but it has grown on me to the point that I now prefer it's styling over the BMW X3. I chose the Lexus over everything else because of my outstanding experiences with Toyotas and Lexus reputation for reliability. I owned a 325i for 3 years and had electrical and transmission issues. It, along with bad reviews of the X3 and X5 on these forums was enough to steer me away from another Bimmer. I'm happy with the RX350 so far (no issues, knock on wood) and am very impressed with our Lexus dealer's attention after the sale.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    I can't dispute the quality & durability of Lexus. There is a vendor I buy from who drives an RX300 (maybe it is an '02 if I'm not mistaken) with over 325,000 miles.

Looking through my wife's X3 maintenance records. We took delivery of the X3 in July of 2007.

It went back to the dealer in September for a check engine light. Turned out to be a faulty carbon filter. The truck was in the shop for a day and my wife got a loaner and was no way inconvenienced.

The X3 did not return to the dealer until June of '08 for its first service. With over 15,000 miles on the odometer. Again, the truck was in and out of the shop in a day and my wofe was provided with a loaner car and not inconvenienced.

If that's unreliable to you, then I don't know what to tell you. Personally I would never own a Toyota or Lexus. I can't stand the floaty and completely isolated ride. Feels like you are driving your couch.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• jingac1688jingac1688 Member Posts: 4
    mountain view bmw. i called and went to a few others but they don't have the x5 that i want with all the options i need. san rafael sonnen just told me 500 over invoice. how much below invoice do you think is good?

Thanks!
    To each his own. Some people prefer comfort and others prefer old go-carts.
  • pt838pt838 Member Posts: 16
    For all you Lexus lovers out there, this is the BMW forum. I agree with nyccarguy. I currently have an '08 X5 3.0. Love it. Previously had an 00' ML320 and a 03' ML350. Before getting the X5, I looked at and drove the RX350, it was very very disappointing in ride quality. Nothing special at all. It's just a Toyota Highlander with a Lexus grille. Also, the German car beats the Japanese car in electronic intergration. How do you run your iPod on you Lexus, with and Auxiliary cable? Finally, what are you paying for service at Lexus. I currently pay $0 for service (including brakes and wiper blades) for both my BMW's. So not only do I have better driving car, it cost me less to own.
    I'm not here to dog BMWs (I've owned one in the past). I was just chiming in on the reliability discussion. Your claim that your BMW costs less to own is incorrect and there is a lot of published and documented data out there that proves it. Believe me, BMW does not just give you the routine maintenance program they offer. You're paying for it in the upfront MSRP of the vehicle. Look at any total cost of ownership publication out there, and you'll find that the Lexus beats the BMWs easily. Besides, if someone buys the 'ultimate driving machine', why would he care if his iPod hooks up to it? Everyone has his or her own vehicle preferences and all vehicles have their own virtues.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Thanks!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• pt838pt838 Member Posts: 16
    No, No, No, you are not dogging BMW, but you are definitely SHILLING for Lexus. The points you make (total cost of ownership, etc) are direct quotes from what the Lexus and Mercedes sales person tells you. However, it you follow these discussions, nobody is paying MSRP here. For my 330Xi, the cost to buy was less than a IS250 (not IS 350) AWD. So where is the savings.

My point about is iPod is that, not only does BMW beats your Lexus in driving enjoyment it also beats the Lexus in entertainment features!!

Also, the funniest thing I seen recently are those Audi Q5 commercials that show all those lookalike RX's, so true

bottom line, go back to the Lexus Forum. Let us BMW people enjoy our own company!!!
    I apologize to pt838 and other loyal BMW enthusiasts. Since I've owned both (BMW and Lexus), I thought I'd share my experiences, good and bad, with potential new car buyers.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    I think it is great that you're bringing your viewpoint & experiences. I in no way mean to say that BMWs don't have problems. If I had some of the awful BMW experiences you had I might not be so into the brand either.

You are right about the ride. Some like soft, some like a little harsh. It all depends what your perception is. My Dad has an '07 x5 3.0 with sports package and I don't think it rides harsh in any way. For my rear end, it is a little on the soft side.

Just curious, how often does your owners' manual say the RX has to be serviced? Have you checked with the dealer to see how much the service costs?

I know the BMW full maintenance isn't free & that they raised their service intervals significantly since they started offering "free" maintenance. It is built into the price of the car. If you look at how much some services cost for competing models like an ML350 or an Audi Q7 you'll always come out on top with the BMW.

As far as Lexus & Infiniti go, part of the beauty is that if you're leasing and you really want to, you can (I'm not recommending this) theoretically take the cars to Jiffy lube for an oil change.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I take my Lexus to our local Toyota dealer for routine maintenance. Oil change and tire rotation every 5000 miles or 6 months for $35. They use the same parts/oil and actually have more experience with the RX350 3.5L engine than the Lexus dealers.
  • miltimilti Member Posts: 14
    CarMan and/or Kyfdx,

1. My lease on my X5 is coming to an end. I'm interested in leasing another X5 (the 4.8) this month. Since I'm a returning BMW customer, what is April's money factor, residual value % for a 36 month, 15,000 mile lease. Are there any other values I should know or special lease options available. Edmunds "incentive list" for the X5 4.8 does not have any reported.

Thanks
  • bayareaboybayareaboy Member Posts: 4
    I think you should get around $2000 below invoice. That's what they are selling for non diesel brand. If you wait few months then I am sure you will get this price or better...For regular 5 series car they are giving 0.9% apr for 60 months plus first 2 payments but for X5 it is 2.9% only. So they are holding around 1500+4000 (roughly) = 5500. So lot of room to lower the price....

Let us know how it goes...
    If your BMW dealer is selling X5s at $2000 under invoice without any Factory to dealer incentives, he's about to go out of business.
  • blackeye800blackeye800 Member Posts: 14
    Hi guys
    I am planning on pulling the trigger on a x5d with premium package, cold weather package,rear climate package and third row seats with an MSRP of 59275 and an invoice of 54710. The offer price is 55K (290 over invoice).
    Am I getting a good deal or is there room to negotiate still.
    Thanks in advance.
  • chrisutleychrisutley Member Posts: 8
    I'm looking to make a deal on a 2009 X5 3.0 (9,000 miles on it) with an MSRP of $56,370 (Inovice $51,845). I'm thinking a fair purchase price would be around $45,000 ... any thoughts?
    I just wanted to be clear, the following is a loaner, not a used car. It is not certified, but would be sold with original BMW factory warranty ... so that's how this 2009 got 9,000 miles on it.

I'm looking to make a deal on a 2009 X5 3.0 (9,000 miles on it) with an MSRP of $56,370 (Inovice $51,845). I'm thinking a fair purchase price would be around $45,000 ... any thoughts?
    Thanks for the info. $2000 below invoice seems way too good. I went to 4 dealerships around my area and the best I got was about $6000 off MSRP which comparing to Edmunds invoice price is $115 over invoice. So I think it was a pretty good deal. Seems like alot of the BMW dealers think they are recession proof and don't like to negotiate. I found 2 out of the 4 to be pretty good at discounts and are not as stuck up. I went to checkout a 2009 Porsche Cayenne GTS at a sticker price os $86,000 and they were offering it to me for $15,000 off sticker. I almost took it but really like BMWs more.
    I think if you can spend extra $5,000, I think you can get brand new one for $50k. Better than with 9,000 miles. That's too high of mileage. I just bought a 2009 X5 4.8 very loaded sticker at $74 and I got it for $67 something. They were offering me a demo with only 450 miles at over 7k off sticker. So I think you can do better than that.
    Thanks for the info. I'm thinking if the vehicle depreciates roughly 20% each of the first two years, then 10K off MSRP should be fairly close to an equitable deal.

The 9K miles really doesn't bother me, the vehicle looks and drives great. I just need to know how to formulate a fair offer, or confirm that what I've come up with is already fair.
    Dealer got back to me on the loaner I'm trying to buy. This is a loaner X5 3.0 with 9,000-miles on it. The MSRP is 56,575 ... they are telling me not to waste their time, their bottom line figure is a purchase price of 49,500 (7,075 off MSRP). That seems like a lousy deal. They are telling me I should be happy to get the 2.9% APR, and that it's a great deal.

The vehicle is 100% the way I want it. It's in excellent shape, drives great. Is this close to a great deal? Should I jump on it, or walk?
    Did you try Fremont dealer? Talk with them.
    Did you try Fremont dealer? Talk with them.
  • grios1grios1 Member Posts: 22
    Hello,
    Can anyone advise on the finance rates for a 2008 X5 CPO assuming a well qualified buyer?
    Thanks
  • salinacancelsalinacancel Member Posts: 1
    oh my goodness!! thank you soooo much for the complement!! hows the car?
  • r2g2r2g2 Member Posts: 4
    Looking to purchase an X5 using their select program and here is what the dealer has offered me. Any thoughts / comments?

X5 3.0i
    Premium / Tech / Rear Climate / Running Boards / Heated Seats / 3rd Row / Sat / ipod
    $0 out of pocket
    2.9% interest rate
    $678.84 / month for 60 months
    $19896 balloon buyout

Is this a good deal? I feel as though it is... but need your input.

thanks!!!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Since it's pretty much the same as a loan, and you know the interest rate is low... the important part is the selling price and associated costs in relation to the MSRP.

So, what's the MSRP, and how much are you paying?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• trabd123trabd123 Member Posts: 55
    R2g2, I think you have an excellent deal. What's the MSRP and selling price and what State are you in?

Here's what I received today from a Long Island/NY dealer on a Select purchase:

x5 3.0i
    MSRP: $54,784
    Selling price: $52,265
    Premium/Climate/Heated Seats/Sat/ipod
    $5,000 down
    2.9% interest
    $643 months for 60 months
    22,300 balloon buyout

Thanks.
    Hi trabd123 - Thanks for your reply... I am moving forward with the deal - I dont think your dealer in Long Island is offering you a good deal here. Here is what I was offered by a dealer in Myrtle Beach:

X5 3.0i
    Prem/Tech/Rear Climate/3rd Row/Heated Seats/Sat/iPod
    $673.75/month for 60 months
    $0 down
    Balloon: $19,794
    Selling Price: $55,705

One additional detail i forgot to include on my x5 35d was the car was being driven by the GM of the dealership and has about 2k miles on it, but BMW is extending the warranty by 3 months / 5k miles - so it works out in my favor at the end of the day - which is why the price is also lower.

MSRP: $60,970
    Selling: $54,945

Note that the diesel qualifies for a 36% residual with the select program AND you receive an $1800 tax credit... it actually isn't that much more expensive to go diesel. Highly recommended!

Best of luck!

(I did not buy the car from Myrtle Beach, but they have a really good guy there - Josh Bauer - I will be posting more details about my sales person and the dealership soon)
    Thanks very your quick reply. Although your selling price doesn't add up to this fantastic payment and balloon payment, it sounds too good to be true.

I was quoted $52,265 as a selling price for less equipments, and with $5,000 down, I got $643 a monthly payment (including taxes) and 22,000 balloon payment.

I know that the interest rate is 2.99% but do you get the $1,800 tax credit.

I also noticed that you had a selling price for an x3.0 at the beginning and then you changed it to a 35d demo car, so which deal did you actually have?

Thanks again!!!
    You are absolutely right - I got my posts confused with conflicting information - there are so many numbers in front of me through research over the past week that i got completely confused. I apologize for any inconvenience to the readers here.

The quote I got on an X5 3.0i (gas / I6) from the BMW dealer in Myrtle Beach (Josh Bauer - really good guy, highly recommended) was the one I shared earlier:

x5 3.0i
    Premium / Tech / Rear Climate / Running Boards / Heated Seats / 3rd Row / Sat / ipod
    $0 out of pocket
    2.9% interest rate
    $678.84 / month for 60 months
    $19896 balloon buyout
    Selling price: 54380

No taxes in this payment since the vehicle is for South Carolina and we pay property taxes on vehicles every year.

Now, after I received this quote, I did some more research and found a demo 35d for an unbelievable price and that is the one I am going with. I am purchasing this from BMW of South Atlanta (Adrian Avila) from whom I bought my previous 328i - He is an awesome sales person and both deals were made over the phone - no bs, just straight talk and the best price.

There you have it, two references for two amazing sales people - best of luck in your BMW purchases!
  • cp617cp617 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I'm looking to buy a 2009 X5. Here are the options:

09 X5 3.0
    Cold Weather Package
    Technology Package
    Ipod and USB Adapter
    Premium Package
    Rear Climate Package
    Running Boards
    3rd Row Seat

MSRP: $ 58,875

How much should I offer for this car? Does $ 54,700 seem fair? Looking to finance with a down payment of ~ $10,000.

Thanks
  • ssh11ssh11 Member Posts: 3
    '09 X5 xdrive 30i
    cold weather/premium/rear climate/technology/rear entertainment/running bds/ space saver spare/sat radio/ipod

$54k price (suggested price was $59k)
    $5k down
    2.9%/60 mos
    $668/mo
    $20k balloon payment

Thoughts? I have not negotiated yet- sales guy just came out with what he thought he could do... do you think there's any room for improvement? If so, what should I focus on improving: price or balloon??? Thanks!
    Hi,
    I just wish this wasn't such a game and that I could learn my exact payment before actually signing on the dotted line.
    a) approx. how much on average does a warranty affect the bottom line?
    b) what kind of warranty would you recommend on an '09 X5? extended necessary?
    c) anything else necessary in your opinion?

Thanks!!
    How much are you paying over or under invoice? Most of the dealers in my area charge $1000 over invoice. Some aggressive folks would charge $500 or invoice price but I also heard that they have very limited inventory.

I'm negotiating a deal to buy a 09 X5 3.0 with running bds, heated seats, ipod, BMW assist , space saver spare and the color I want (not black on black) for $48k. It's about $400 above invoice.

Also, I don't recommend the BMW select after I heard that I have to pay all taxes upfront (8.625% in NY) and I must purchase the car at the end of the term for 20k.
    Dealer in NY is selling a '08 BMW X5 iDrive 0.48 with only 8k miles, premium package, heated front seats and BMW assist for $40k. It's as-is purchase and I still have 3 years BMW warrently.

Do you think it's a good buy or should I buy a CPO car and pay the extra 4k to 8k?
    Thanks for the response. When I calculate the options on Edmunds it appears I'm at or below invoice. When I calculate the True Market Value on Edmunds it says I'm a couple thousand below what others are paying. Hopefully that's true!!

As far as the Select program, I have been told you trade it for another car at the end of 60 months, or refinance it and keep the exact same payment/rate for the remainder of the balloon.

Thanks again and good luck!
  • ffnoleffnole Member Posts: 1
    2009 X5 3.0 with $56,975 MSRP. Leasing for 36 months@12k/yr. No cash down except for first payment, tax, tax, etc. Used both X3 (current car lease) and X5 loyalty incentives combined ($3,250) with dealer discount ($3,300) to realize Capitalized Cost of $50,450 and 695/mo lease payments. Residual 57% and money factor .00180 (4.32%). Southeast location. Solid deal.
  • dpeck1dpeck1 Member Posts: 51
    helpI am close to purchasing a preowned 2008 x5 3.0 with tech, sport, premium. The original msrp was 60K. This car has 12,000 miles and they are asking 46,000. They said with was a BMW exec demo. It is also certified.

Is this a decent deal.? It seems the wholesale on this car is about 41K.

How much does the dealer pay (dealer cost) to have the car certified though BMW. Thanks.
  • clymerclymer Member Posts: 13
    Hi everyone,

I just received a quote for A 2009 X5 diesel with 2500 miles, it was the delerships managers car. I talked the guy down from 61000 to 58000. It has the following options:

Alpine White
    Black Nevada Leather
    Dark Burl Walnut wood trim
    Cold Weather Package
    Premium Package
    Premium Sound Package
    Rear Climate Package
    Sport Package
    Comfort seats with lumbar support
    Technology Package
    Comfort Access system
    Running boards
    Smartphone Integration
    HD radio
    iPod and USB adapter
    Satelite Radio w/ 1 year subsciption

He also threw in all weather mats, and rear cargo liner and a coffee mug :)

Do you guys think this is a good deal, the guy is giving a night to think about it. Please let me know your thoughts THANKS!!!
  • blackeye800blackeye800 Member Posts: 14
    Go for it. I just paid a lot more for a new, less equipped X5D because I did not have time to shop around. The going rate is invoice or 500 over for a new X5D and you are getting it for a lot less. I got mine for 500 over invoice in CT. Enjoy your vehicle.
  • clymerclymer Member Posts: 13
    Thank you blackeye800 for your quick response. I thought I was getting a good deal, but it never hurts to ask around. Good luck with your new X5D!!!
  • jen0517jen0517 Member Posts: 2
    2009 BMW X5 xDrive 30i
    MSRP - 61,525
    platinum bronze metallic
    Active Ventilated Seat Package
    Cold Weather Package
    Premium Package
    Premium Sound Package
    Rear Climate Control Package
    Technology Package
    Comfort Access
    Running Boards
    iPod and USB adapter
    price paid - $57.615

Momentum BMW
    Houston, TX

I love it!!

Jen
  • sirhopalot1sirhopalot1 Member Posts: 1
    1.Looking at a 2009 X5 with technology package, cold weather package, premium package and ipod holder. Invoice is 51,500.

What is fair price for this?

Local dealer is offering only 3% off of msrp which is much higher than what i see on this chat board.

Am presently in Florida and they are willing to deal and ship car to me.

What should i offer over invoice?

What is shipping for 1500 miles to home?

2. Looking at a demo 2009 X5 with 9400 miles from another dealer near my home.

MSRP 58000 plus and invoice is 53000 plus but got sheet which shows dealer invoice was actually 50300.

Car has technology package, premium package, cold weather package, rear climate package, running board, satellite and ipod holder

They are selling for 52,500

WHAT SHOULD 10,000 MILES REDUCE THE MSRP BY????
    Would like car if it was a fair price.
  • jen0517jen0517 Member Posts: 2
    I paid $500 over invoice - see previous post for details.
  • dale2009dale2009 Member Posts: 10
    Help! I signed a buy agreement to buy a new X5 3.5d on May 30. The sales person told me that it will take about 3-4 weeks for me to get a new car. Three weeks have passed by, and I even did not get a vehicle number so far. I called seals person many times this week and the feedback was that the order will be delayed to next month, and might be the last week of July. The reson is that BMW OEM in USA only works four days per week and the dealership could not get new cars on time.
    What can I do? Please give me your any ideas. Thanks a lot.
    Dale
  • laakylaaky Member Posts: 13
    The 3.5d is a great machine so if you can wait then do that first.

If you are unsure of what is going on, I deal with Keeler in Latham NY who are very good. Give them a call and ask if what you are being told is true. If so then you have to wait if you really want the car you ordered. I assume you have ordered one with the options you wanted. Ask your dealer to provide you with a loaner until yours comes in if it is going to be that late. I am sure you can try some negotiations. The more information you have the better you can negotiate.

If you do not want to wait for the new car, see if the dealer will cancel the order based upon the mis information they gave you on the delivery date. Perhaps you can just buy one that is in stock on some nearby dealer's lot, but perhaps not the color or options you wanted.
  • goldendragon18goldendragon18 Member Posts: 15
    Hi everyone,

I've actually been looking at the x5 and the x6 recently. I'm not really in a rush to buy but because of my indecision, it's making it even harder to decide. should i pay more for the looks or less and go for practicality. does anyone know the actual price of the x6 right now? or have compared them? the x6 forums are completely dead.

Thanks
  • dale2009dale2009 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks a lot for your good suggestion.
    Dale