Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• starfish6starfish6 Member Posts: 4
    right now, there is 2500 holiday incentive for X5 expiring Jan 4, does BMW have this kind of promotion often?
  • arubabums6467arubabums6467 Member Posts: 4
    In addition to the tax credit for the X5 diesel, there is a local sales tax credit as well, correct? Up to sales tax paid on $49,500 for locales that have sales tax?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    It's not a sales tax credit, it's a sales tax deduction from your Federal income tax..

There is an MSRP cutoff... Vehicles above a certain amount are not eligible, at all.. not sure if the X5 is one of them.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Yes, I shouldn't have used the term credit. However, it does appear that an individual will have a deduction on the sales and excise taxes and similar fees paid on up to $49,500 of the purchase price of a new vehicle, not that a vehicle above that amount will make it ineligible.

http://www.irs.gov/irs/article/0,,id=214016,00.html
    Is the $1,800 that has been mentioned in this thread applicable to the 2010 model, or only for the 2009 model?
  • misterkenjmisterkenj Member Posts: 2
    Bought my X5 xDrive35d yesterday. Figured end of day, end of month, end of year ... and with a $4500 rebate ... would be a good time. But one never knows! Here's what I bought in Salt Lake City:

Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Nappa Leather, Dark Burl Walnut wood trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Rear Climate Package, Technology Package, Comfort Access keyless entry, Multi-contour seats, Napa Leather Dashboard and Center Console, Running boards, Smartphone Integration, iPod and USB adapter, Satellite radio, Roof Rails. They are throwing in rubber floor mats (including the cargo area).

Total MSRP as Built $68,125 (incl destination charge)
    Invoice price $64,320 (per Edmunds)
    Incentives & Rebates $ 4,500
    Net Price $59,820
    Price Paid $62,125
    Dealer Profit $ 2,305 (3.58%)

They said their normal profit was about 6%.

I don't feel bad about the deal, as the $4500 rebate expires Jan 4, and they are building the car next week, with delivery in about 7 weeks (maybe less?).

How did I do?

By the way, about the only thing I could have added is the Adaptive Drive, the $3500 (MSRP) option. It's a pretty pricey car as is, but will I regret not having this option?
  • 00boxsters00boxsters Member Posts: 202
    You did well. The best deals are around $1000 over cost. About $2K over is still very good.

If you are already asking then just get the adaptive drive. There is no body roll and its still not much stiffer on the flats. Drive them side by side if your still uncertain.
  • gannetgannet Member Posts: 3
    I live in St. Petersburg, Florida. I've been looking at several 2006 CPO X5s. Prices vary quite a bit, as you would expect, by mileage, equipment, etc. But this is my first time looking at non-US cars, so I have no idea how much "room" the dealers usually allow themselves in asking prices. I'm not a low-baller, but I don't want to be a fool either, so I could use some help knowing roughly where I might come in with an offer.

Here are a couple of example cars from dealers that seem to be reasonable. There are a couple of other dealers that are thousands higher but I don't think I want to fool with them.

These are all CPO 2006 X5s, assume typical equipment.

4.4i, 32k miles, $36k
    3.0i, 31k miles, $32k
    3.0i, 44k miles, $29k

What should I expect to pay for these? Asking price? -$1k? -$2k?

Your advice appreciated.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,425
    Shoot for $5K off asking price. There is A LOT of wiggle room in used cars, especially used BMWs.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• no1special718no1special718 Member Posts: 3
    IM 24 N HAVE THE 2 CHANCE BUY AN 03 X5 3.0I WITH ABOUT 75K MILES ON IT FOR AROUND $15k BUT I NEED TO KNO A FEW THINGS FIRST ITS NOT BRAND NEW SO HOW DO THEY RUN AFTER BOUT 7 YRS? I DNT JUS WANNA RELY ON CARFAX OR THE DEALER SECOND AM I GETTIN MYSELF INTO A MONEY PIT? IM HEARING HORROR STORIES PLEASE ANYONE ANYWHERE HELPPPPPPP
  • samkk0891samkk0891 Member Posts: 3
    Hi
    I need help with deciding as to how important and useful the following features are

-- premium sound package
    -- head up
    -- automatic high beam

I have got a price for $58100 for the following - premium,premium sound,cold weahter,rear climate,technology,3rd row,ipod,running boards,auto high beam,roof rail,head up display - MSRP is 66275 --- Is this a good price
    Also does anyone know if I can still get the $1800 credit if I get the vehicle delivered by Feb 2010?
    The eco credit reported is good if you accept delivery by 2/28/10. I strongly suspect the eco credit to continue until they move all 2010's past March 2010.
    Those options are not important. If you are a hyperaudiophile, you would replace the components in any case. The standard audio with the premium/tech package is very good particularly with your iPod attached and controled thru the new iDrive system.

Your about $8K discount from MSRP is a good deal. I would not ditch the deal if you have to suck up those three extra options as they are, at best, in the nice to have but don't need category.

Congrats and enjoy.
    I think the previous poster was referencing the IRS $1,800 Alternative Fuel Credit, and not the Eco Credit from BMW.
    You are right . I was referring to the $1800 alternative fuel credit
  • old_navyold_navy Member Posts: 1
    THe automatic high beam feature was not worth it to me nor did I consider the Heads Up display. Its another potential maintenance headache and if you use your high beams, you can see very well. (I live in the Northwest up in the hills and we do have wild deer. I have always been able to spot them with the lights alone) Also on the running boards, I have them on my 2010 and one caution I would offer is that they do hit the back of your pants leg when you enter and exit. If you have dirty roads you could end up with dirty pants legs. Just a thought. I'm retired so its not an issue with me. On the price they were offering 4800 credit for diesel (which I took advantage of) plus there was an 1800 tax credit and I used the COSTCO buying program so that was another 2300 off. I got the nav system, but it is a piece of junk and doesn't find many addresses. Roof rail I got just for re sale. Alot of folks like it. I didn't get the 3rd row option because it is a little tight.
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    Hey, there are issues in new bmws, so about reliability, I'd say stay away from a 75k miles bmw x5, but if u really want to have a bmw at any cost then u should get it.

Personally, I don't have an experience about old bmws.

What I can tell u is, I backed out from getting a brand new bmw after hearing about reliability issues and other technical problems.
  • bigkidforlifebigkidforlife Member Posts: 12
    I was just offered a 2009 x5 3.0 Demo with 8k miles, premium package, 3rd row, contour seats, sport package, headed front/rear seats for $52,400 ($54,900 - $2500 holiday cash).

Is this a good deal or do you think there is some more room on the selling price? I am under the impression that they could get it down closer to $53k pre-holiday cash but it's hard to find a deal exactly like this to support that thought.
  • risa00risa00 Member Posts: 17
    I need some help please. We are looking to order a custom car and are trying to figure out pricing. The MSRP came out to $62,375. The invoice came out to $57,315. We tried autobrag but never heard back from the dealers. We need to close hopefully tomorrow (Monday at the latest) to get the financing and cash back. We live in the Seattle area and the best deal the local dealers are giving us is $2k under MSRP to $60,3xx. Suggestions on what we should be paying? That seems high to me considering we are special ordering it so it's not like it's been sitting on their lot at all. We also are looking to trade in our car which is why we haven't looked too far outside of the WA/OR area. Thoughts? TIA!
    They smell your need to close quickly. Month, Quarter and Year ends are over and they know you know about the rebate ending so they will soak you. I'd bet that the eco credit will be extended past 1/4/10. The 2011's are rumored to be comming in March. I'd hold out til the end of the month and save several thousand dollars. I'd bet you could order for 8K under MSRP and not get fleeced on your trade to boot.
  • misterepmisterep Member Posts: 52
    Figure their cost is 58% of list price for the vehicles...add 600 to 800 for their trouble.
  • misterepmisterep Member Posts: 52
    What model? 4.8 ? 35d ?
  • akjuakju Member Posts: 6
    hi, guys

I find a car in a dealer website
    http://performance-bmw.ebizautos.com/webdetail.aspx?iid=4839718

Condition:
    Pre-Owned Clear Title
    Mileage:
    Stock No:
    191150A
    Warranty:
    Extended Warranty
    Transmission:
    6 Spd StepTronic
    Engine:
    3.0L L6 FI DOHC 24V Gasoline
    Exterior Color:
    Alpine White
    Interior Color:
    Black
    VIN: 5UXFE43538L031956

Retail Value $48,950
    Internet Price $39,950
    Your Savings $9,000

how much I should offer to the dealer?
    Your advices appreciated!
  • carbuffsince5carbuffsince5 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Friends,
    We test drove a loaded Q5 today and were offered $700 over invoice but we felt the Q5 may be smaller than what we need. So we will be looking at the X5 (30i and 35D) and ML350. Looking for help on what we can expect here in Southern California? Will it be reasonable to ask for near-Invoice? Also if you recommend any dealer please do so. We are in Pasadena CA. Thank you for your help!
    Cannot say about the ML but the X5d for $1000 over invoice/cost is a good start. Additionally the diesel has a $4500 eco credit til March. You could get the X5 diesel for $3500 UNDER INVOICE. Don't even consider the gasoline X5 3.0 considering this diesel credit (plus a likely government credit for 2010) and 425 ft/lbs of torque!
  • newstart2010newstart2010 Member Posts: 4
    ordered a 2011 X5 xDrive35i Premium, with 3rd row seats today. The MSRP of $52,475 including Destination & Handling, plus $1700 for 3rd row seats, minus $3000 for Costco auto purchase price discount, and the final price is $51,175. I need wait for about 3 months for it is built out and shipped. Don't really know what is included, since even the sales man don't have much information, and their computer system does not have this model either.
  • shockphshockph Member Posts: 2
    I've got a chance to pick up a 2008 4.8 with 6,600 miles for $46,000...

Car has tech, premium and sports package and comfort access. Carfax looks good - single owner who traded the car in for Benz G-Wagon....

Is this a good price?
  • tyyeh0tyyeh0 Member Posts: 43
    I am also interested in ordering a 2011 x5. Can you post the invoice on your order?
    The sales did not really show me the invoice. They actually divide the MSRP by 1.0625 and then say it is the invoice price. They show me their policy which says the Costco special price is $2000 over invoice which is $2200 below MSRP. I am not good at negotiation on price so you should be able to get a better deal than mine $3000 below MSRP.
  • bmwx52010bmwx52010 Member Posts: 2
    As part of the costco program they are required to show you the invoice. I would ask them for it or tell them you will complain t Costco. Costco is very big on customer satisfaction, and tough on the vendors they choose.

BTW $1500 +/- over is what you should be able to get. Use the internet , put in different zip codes, tell them you will buy if they meet your price. And be ready to buy, if within 1-200.

JMHO
  • bmwx52010bmwx52010 Member Posts: 2
    Just curious, you said you ordered a 2011, not a 2010. That means you didn't get the $4500 ECO credit right?? I ordered a 2010 to make sure I got the ECO credit, since I didn't think the face lift changes were enough for me to loose the ECO, and I can't be sure they will offer it for 2011. I am guessing they will, but ya never know.
  • woodytoowoodytoo Member Posts: 1
    I used carcostcanada.com and got the invoice price (90% MSRP) went to the local dealer and got the deal no haggeling. Bought Alpine White with Panaromic sunroof. :)
    4500 credit only for in stock 2010 35d. However I need the 3rd row seats and none is available. So I ordered 2011 35i model. I think giving almost same price, one year newer with much higher power are better choice. BTW, since the 2011 models is coming, I beat you could get deeper discount for 2010 models.
    The X5i may be a year newer but is does not have as much power as the X5d.

The single turbo X5 3.0 liter has about 300hp and 300ft.lbs of torque.

The X5d has 265 hp and 425ft.lbs of torque.

While the gas X5 is a bit faster 0-60mph, it does not justify the large advantage in MPG the diesel X5 enjoys (as well as that torque rush without the transmission shifting down)...

In any case, I hope you enjoy your X5!
  • zatireszatires Member Posts: 39
    The single turbo X5 3.0 liter has about 300hp and 300ft.lbs of torque.

There is no single turbo X5 3.0 gas engine sold in the US.

The X5 3.0 has 260HP

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/vehicles/2010/x5/xdrive30i/default.aspx
    edited March 2010
    Check the title "ordered a 2011 X5" ......... 2011
  • moose28moose28 Member Posts: 2
    How much of a discount should I expect on the 2010 model year? I've decided to purchase the X5 4.8 but realize that the 2011 will be released in April.
    $1000 over invoice is a good place for most.
  • kbraleighkbraleigh Member Posts: 6
    Just ordered fully optioned 2011 X5 35d at $1,250 over invoice. Production scheduled week of April 12th. Should have before end of April. Also includes the $4,500 eco credit as it does apply to 2011 models.
    Good deal for a 2011. Good luck and enjoy. It will be here before you know it. Prepare a list of stuff you need to bring and check at the dealer for pick up...
  • moose28moose28 Member Posts: 2
    AHHH, I just paid $2400. over invoice. Still waiting to see if I get it. Dealer found one "in transport". This week, they're getting hard to find (mid-Atlantic area) since you can no longer order the 2010.
  • risa00risa00 Member Posts: 17
    Can you please share the dealership that you purchased this from? Thanks!
  • tyyeh0tyyeh0 Member Posts: 43
    How are you guys negotiating? Just purely on a $ amount over invoice? The dealer I went to wants to wait for all the pricing info to come out before talking about the price. I've put a deposit down for a 2011 x5 35, but no pricing negotiated yet.
    Leith BMW in Raleigh. Have always bought from them.
    I always have worked from invoice. The pricing is out and available and was provided to me. I have my production number as well. I negotiated from their original offer to get to a final number. Don't forget that the $4,500 eco credit is available on teh 2011's.
    I could have ordered a 2010 since they are still being made in March and my dealer has some allocated, but opted for the 2011 with the refresh and only have to wait about a month longer for delivery.
  • desi_bmwownerdesi_bmwowner Member Posts: 7
    I just bought the 2011 x5 Diesel in Ganley BMW, Cleveland , OH at the following price
    Sales Price 52000.00
    Doc 250.00
    Title 33.50
    Tax 4000.00

xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A) 
    ZPP Premium Package
    ZTP Technology Package
    ZCW Cold Weather Package
    ZRC Rear Climate Package
    6FL iPod and USB Adapter
    386 Roof Rails
    Running Board

Desi BMWOwner
  • 5starride5starride Member Posts: 4
    Was tinkering with the diesel as well, but all it took was the test drive to realize the loud tick of the engine and the uninspiring acceleration from a standstill were not for me.

So I got the 2011 sport instead for $500 over invoice, couldn't be happier. Anyone have any info on the side camera option? Is it worth it if you do a lot of city parking?
    link title
    ">
  • cpaman1cpaman1 Member Posts: 8
    I just ordered a X5 35d. I think it is supposed to be a 2010 but the delivery estimate is 6 weeks and I thought I had heard that they were begininng production on the 2011 by then. I got the premium package, heated seats, rear climate package, and roof rails. Final price was $50k.