Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    edited November 2012
    I don't have time to do the math for your particular vehicle, but here's the formula for you: take invoice price from Edmunds, add $500+/-, subtract all of the incentives and then your own state taxes. That should be your "out the door" price.

Everyone qualifies for different incentives - i.e. I get BMW loyalty (now), but not USAA. Holiday is for everybody. Also, taxes vary state by state. As long as the dealer is discounting the vehicle to something approaching $500 above invoice and THEN subtracting all of the incentives, you are getting a good deal. $1000 over invoice, decent deal. More than $1,000 over invoice, not so good. Just don't let them use the incentives BEFORE they discount the car to that figure. For example, if you qualify for $2,500 in incentives, your target price should be $1,500 to $2,000 UNDER invoice; plus taxes and registration.
  • ad42197ad42197 Member Posts: 8
    I have a potential deal in place for a 2012 x5 35d with about 8,800 miles on it. Options are Cold Weather, Navigation, Running Boards. MSRP 60,500. The deal would be for $48,000 + tax. Can anyone share their thoughts on this particular deal?
    Bad deal. Invoice is $55,750; you could buy a brand new one for $51-52k+/-, given holiday and eco credits. Used one with 8800 miles should be at least 15% less, or somewhere in $44k range.

Other bad deal = weird options. Navigation without full premium package is $1,900 alone; premium package that includes navigation os only $1,600 more for leather, keyless entry, memory seats, adjustable steering column, rearview camera, dimming mirrors, etc. Terrible deal to get nav by itself. Cold weather is also a waste, IMO. Heated front seats are standard. CWP = heated rear seats and headlight washers. I'd take the Premium package and bag the CWP for a better vehicle.
  • ad42197ad42197 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the reply! I was on the brink of making this deal but had some reservations still. The options did seem weird but the car is like band new so I was still thinking it was worth it. Are some dealers still ordering new x5d's? If so, do you know of any dealer that will?
  • rleebb00rleebb00 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2012
    I thought this was a good deal until I read most of the messages in this thread. I am purchasing around Chicago. All models are the 2013 X5 35i Premium that have convenience, cold weather, navigation, and running boards. The lowest I've been able to get is $54,500+tax. I put this up against 4 different dealers. I found a used 2012 (same specs above) and negotiated it down to $47,550. I really wanted $46,000 but am about to go ahead with aforementioned price. The used model also has 18,500 miles. I kind of now think I should still be shooting for $46,000. Can I get some advice please?
    In my area (DC Metro) as of a couple of weeks ago, BMW of Silver Spring still had 1-2 order slots left for the 2012 X5d. By now they may have an allocation of slots for a 2013 X5d. Check around your area.

And if you are remotely within driving distance of the Spartanburg Performance Delivery Center, look into that option for ordering the car from your local dealer, flying down and picking it up there. BMW puts you (and spouse/other) for a night at the Marriott the night before, you get a morning at the track covering skidpad, ABS braking and actual mini-formula one track laps, all at the wheel of their cars, plus the off-road course that will show you thngs on the X5 like hill-hold and other features you would never use in that way on your own. Followed by lunch, factory tour, BMW museum tour. Take 1-2 days to drive home. It's free, and the ONLY way I will ever buy another BMW, period.
    edited November 2012
    Personally, I don't think even $46k for a 2012 with 18,000 miles compared to a brand new 2013 for $54.5k is a good deal. I don't care what the "blue book" or anything else says, I think you should be getting 20% off the price of a new car. That's consistent with 1st year depreciation and 18k miles. That would put my target price at $43.5k.

Also - and I respect that everyone has their own opinions - but I just can't see the value of buying an X5 3.5i today over a X5 3.5d with the $4,500 eco credit. With the options you specified, a new X5d would be $52-53k after discounts and incentives or $1,500+ LESS than the X5 3.5i. I was just at a Porsche dealer last night and they told me their Cayenne diesels are flying off the lot at an MSRP that is $2-3k MORE than their gas model. We are getting real world 40% better fuel economy than our old MDX and the power of the diesel on the highway rivals the previous X5 V8. If you have considered it and rejected it for some reason, so be it. But it's a much better value IMO, considering lower up front price, much better fuel economy (well in excess of the current diesel price premium over premium gas) and likely higher future resale value. I may not quite be ready for a diesel 911 or Cayman S, but I will never own a gas SUV again in my lifetime.
  • rleebb00rleebb00 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2012
    Thanks Habitat. Although I doubt they'll go that low I'm definitely going to shoot much lower than the $47588. Also, when you say 20% off a new car are you referring to the discount off of the negotiated price or MSRP? The MSRP on the new models I looked at were $61K so if I was going off of that the used car would be a good deal. I'm assuming you do mean negotiated.

I'm no expert but did some research on the gas vs diesel debate when I began my search. One of the disadvantages was the higher initial cost of a diesel, but that is obviously addressed with the eco credit and savings on efficiency. If it weren't for the eco credit it definitely wouldn't be worth it to me as positive savings doesn't seem to start hitting for almost 4-5 years and I've been averaging 3 year ownership. The items that concern can be found here: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question399.htm. Although this is only one source I've seen these disadvantages on several sites. Given the information you've provided and the opinions of others I will take extra time to think about the deal on the used car and possibly owning a diesel. Thanks again.
    edited November 2012
    Your assumption is correct, I meant 20% off the negotiated price that you would actually pay for a new 2013, is what I would peg the fair discount for a 2012 with 18k miles.

As far as the diesel vs. gas decision, again that's a personal choice and please don't take my "opinion" as attempting to dictate one is right and the other wrong. That said, almost all of the 8 "problems" contained in the link you posted look like they came from 1982 not 2012:

(1) Diesel engines, because they have much higher compression ratios (20:1 for a typical diesel vs. 8:1 for a typical gasoline engine), tend to be heavier than an equivalent gasoline engine. True, but they are also made out of cast iron and tend to last longer than gas engines (see advantages) Plus, we are already talking about a 5,000+lb SUV, not a 2,900 lb sports car. The 200-250 pound difference in engine and vehicle weight is not a significant disadvantage. It would be in a Porsche Cayman, not a Porsche Cayenne.

(2) Diesel engines also tend to be more expensive. Not with the current $4,500 eco-credit. And even without the eco credit, I would estimate the fuel savings for us in 50,000 miles to be $3,000+/-. We plan to keep it 100k+. You can do your own math based upon your driving habits and fuel prices in your area.

(3) Diesel engines, because of the weight and compression ratio, tend to have lower maximum RPM ranges than gasoline engines. This makes diesel engines high torque rather than high horsepower, and that tends to make diesel cars slow in terms of acceleration. The X5 3.5i has 300hp/300 ft/lbs. The X5d has 265 hp/425 ft.lbs. I'll take that trade off all day long in a SUV. The X5d goes from 0-60 in 6.7 seconds, at most about 0.5 second slower than the 3.5i. Versus 8.6 for my former 1984 Toyota Supra. And at least a second faster than the 2009 X5 3.0i. The highway passing power is X5 4.8i competitive. PLENTY QUICK for an SUV.

(4) Diesel engines must be fuel injected, and in the past fuel injection was expensive and less reliable. DUH - Say what?? Maybe in 1970, but I don't think you can find a new non fuel injected (carburator) car in the first or second world. And if you did, push it off a cliff. Everything is fuel injected today. Even my sneakers.

(5) Diesel engines tend to produce more smoke and "smell funny." Not any more. Except for my sneakers.

(6) Diesel engines are harder to start in cold weather and if they contain glow plugs, diesel engines can require you to wait before starting the engine so the glow plugs can heat up. Not any more, no glow plugs in any vehicles I looked at (Audi, VW, Mercedes, BMW)

(7) Diesel engines are much noisier and tend to vibrate. Not any more. I can (barely) tell from the noise that I'm in diesel accelerating around town, but on highway cruising, the X5d is quieter than our old MDX, especially given that it's abundant torque means that it doesn't need to downshift as much on moderate to steep grades.

(8) Diesel fuel is less readily available than gasoline. Not a problem in our area. Made less so by the extended range - 600+ miles on the highway.

Good luck whatever way you go, but give yourself a test drive or two. You might feel differently than me and stick with the X5 3.5i, - but at least with a test drive you can form your own opinion, not rely on an article that looks like it was plucked out of a 1980 issue of Motor Trend.
  • toy4metoy4me Member Posts: 13
    Hello Everyone,

I would like some help. I'm in the process of negotiating for a 2013 X5 3.5i Premium. The numbers the dealer is using aren't matching what I see on the Edmunds True Market Value section. I would be ordering the car with the Convenience, Luxury Seating, Premium Sound, and Technology packages, plus running boards and BMW apps. They told me I could have the car for $500 over invoice. To me, that means the invoice price on the car, plus the invoice prices on the packages, plus $500. Is that the correct way of figuring it?

According to the Edmunds TMV, that should total $59,780 (including the $895 destination fee). If I add $500 to that, it totals $60,280. They are quoting me $61,090. Am I missing something, or are they adding almost $1000 somewhere? The MSRP after packages/options is $65,270. Is there anywhere else I can go to view what the invoice price on this car would be?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    A
  • tarheel0303tarheel0303 Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2012
    Newbie here... sorry for any redundancies. I currently own a 2011 x5 diesel (white exterior, oyster interior, premium package + running boards).

I am interested in purchasing a new x5 diesel due to the savings being offered. $4,500 eco credit, $1,500 holiday credit, and $750 loyalty credit. I drive roughly 15-17k miles a year, so a lease is probably not my best option. The x5 I just built online came out to be $64,645 with the Sport Activity Package, Premium Package, and running boards. Subtract the discounts ($6,750) and I have $57,895 which should include destination and handeling.

Do I have any wiggle room? I'm not sure what the market up is online? Fortunately/unfortunately my 2011 was a company car and this time it is on me, so the first go round I didn't pay as much attention to the details because it was being covered. Any other cost I should be aware of?

Lastly, my 2011 has 29,000 miles. I'm hoping to sell privately for $44-45k. BMW in my hometown says $40-41k is the best they could do. Any thoughts?
    edited December 2012
    I answered you in the X5 lease forum.
    Have your dealer show you their exact invoice. They are probably adding a few items that Edmunds does not include, which are legitimate costs up to a point. MACO and some regional fees added about $300-400 to the invoice cost on our vehicle. But $810 difference sounds like they are throwing in some other items. Take your Edmunds print out to them and have them put theirs side by side. My dealer sales manager did that and it made for a reasonable compromise.
    Thank you for your reply. I spoke with the manager I'm dealing with and he explained that the pricing on Edmunds has not been updated with BMW's new pricing on their Convenience Package. Edmunds has it retailing at $3600, but BMW now has it on their website as $3875. The difference is that now they include the soft close doors, where they did not before. The invoice fee on that is now $3525, instead of Edmunds price of $3275. You were right about the MACO fee, which is BMW's advertising fee of $380 and he said is added to every car. The new price is $60410 + $500 = $60,910 as the final price (of $500 over invoice). I think it's a pretty good deal. Anyone have a different opinion?

Another dealer quoted me $300 over, but when I asked for a full quote their numbers are showing more than $500 over invoice. They also tried to stick in an extra $200 ($925) in the "bank fee" for a lease, which the BMW site has as $725. I know they're trying to make money, but I don't like being played or lied to!
  • lma9lma9 Member Posts: 2
    Hi habitat1, thanks for your consistent contribution to this forum and I learnt a lot from your posts. I am in the market for a X5D and had been trying to get my local dealers offering me the price I arrive at using your formula but had little success. The lowest offer so far was still 2800 above that price and I didn't even bother negotiating with that guy...I will of course continue to get quotes from other dealers in the area (which may take a while because some dealers won't give any meaningful numbers in e-mails or over the phone), but any other suggestions/tips on negotiating?

Thanks a bunch.
    Where are you located?
  • dieselx5_2012dieselx5_2012 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    If you are serious about buying an X5d, contact Nick Alexander BMW in Southern California. I bought my 2012 there almost 1 year ago and they gave it to me at over $10k below MSRP of $66,295 for a total out the door price of $61000!!!! Their pricing was unbeatable so if they can even get close to that kind of deal again it would be worth talking to them even if you have to ship across country for another $1200, so long as you save at least $1500 doing so it is worth the minor hassle... Call and speak directly with a sales manager or fleet sales/internet sales, DO NOT TALK TO A REGULAR SALESMAN, that usually amounts to time wasted...
  • novax5dnovax5d Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2012
    I was just priced a 2013 X5D for $54k OTD (including the holiday credit, eco credit, and USAA credit) to order and pick up at the Performance Center. The order includes:

luxury seating package
    comfort access
    sports activity
    third row

Seems like a good deal. What do you think?

Any packages/options I might need?
    edited December 2012
    Any packages/options I might need?

In my opinion, you have an oddball set of options for the following reasons:

(1) By combining the luxury seating package with the sport activity package, you are essentially paying for a seat upgrade twice. The luxury seating package is $2,100 whether or not you start with a base car or the sport seats you are already paying for in the SA package. You can add multi-contour seats to the SA package for a $900 upgrade. And leather comes with the premium package. At that point, the luxury seating package is reduced to ventilation and a vibrator.

(2) You are paying for $1,000 keyless entry as a stand alone option (absurdly overpriced, IMO).

(3) On the other hand, you are not taking the Premium Package, which includes keyless, Navigation, 4-zone climate, leather, etc. I don't believe I have ever seen an X5d without a premium package, so good luck on future resale.

(4) Third row seat: I assume you have tested/checked this out. It is the smallest, tightest 3rd row you can get in an SUV. Good for kids under about 4 feet tall, not much else.

It looks like your configuration would have an MSRP of $64,595.

My suggestion might be to consider:

SAP w/ multicontour option
    Premium Package
    Third Row.

This has a higher MSRP of $65,995 - $1,400 more. It doesn't give you front seat ventilation, which not available as a stand alone option. But it does give you navigation, with a back up camera, bluetooth/voice control, 4 zone climate control, rear sun shades, (valuable, if you are going to use the 2nd/ third row frequently), leather, garage door opener.

That would be an easy trade off for me, given that paying for the luxury seating package just to get ventilated seats isn't worth it AND, ventilated seats are not available with the Oyster interior. My wife was sick of (hot) black interiors and the oyster looks exceptional. Beige looks blah to me.

But, regardless of what you do....three thumbs up on Performance Delivery Center pick up. Good luck.
    Habitat,

I am so glad you responded. I was hoping to hear from you. I have been reading all of your entries with great interest! Thank you so much for all of your posts.

I thought about doing the premium package, but I won't use navigation or garage door opener, so I'm not sure if the bluetooth, back up camera, and rear sun shades are worth it. But maybe for resale I should consider it.

I really want the ventilated seats. One of my friends says it is the best thing on her car. I haven't actually tried them as neither Fairfax nor Passport seems to have them in stock (?!).

Do you know if the sports activity package has suspension changes from the normal suspension or if you have to buy the extra suspension addition? I want the steering wheel mostly, but I also heard they drive differently too. Of course neither Fairfax nor Passport seems to have one with the sports activity package either...

Also, what do you think about the price?

Finally, do you have any idea about extended warranties?

Thanks again Habitat!
    edited December 2012
    Novax5d,

(1) Navigation and resale: The fact that you asked about extended warranties at the end of your post suggests that you are planning on keeping the vehicle more than 4-5 years. At that point, having nav or not may not be that big of a deal on resale. And I don't think it's prudent to make option selections that you don't really want just for long term resale. That said, I find the navigation system especially helpful in the DC region if you need to route around traffic jams, accidents, etc. in strange neighborhoods. But that's for you to decide.

(2) Ventilated seats: Haven't tried them myself. But, like I said, we really wanted the oyster interior. It looks great with the Black Sapphire (or dark grey) exterior. I would recommend you try them if at all possible, even in another BMW other than the X5. I had one friend tell me that another brand (MB maybe) had ventilated seats that actually made his back get stiff and the air temperature could not be adjusted.

(3) Suspension: Sport activity package keeps standard suspension. There is an active drive sport suspension option for around $3,000. It is overkill, IMO. The SAP does include 19" wheels with lower profile tires. I test drove everything in the market and the BMW with the SAP/standard suspension handled much better than the Q7, ML350, Touareg,. The ML even had MB's dynamic handling package ($5k) and it wasn't as tight as the X5d with SAP. The only one that handled the same/better was the Cayenne/Cayenne GTS. I would even avoid the 20" wider tire upgrade ($900 on top of SAP). I drove one at Fairfax and it may have handled very, very slightly better, but unless you are on a track, you wouldn't notice it in daily driving. You would notice the extra tire expense when you have to replace a $1,500 set every 20-25k miles.

(4) Extended warranty: Between the price of the extended warranty and extended maintenance, I was looking at something like $5k to go from 4/50 to 6/100. Way too much, IMO. On the maintenance, I have a very good independent mechanic that can do brakes and other maintenance items for 60% of the cost at the dealer. I stuck with the standard warranty, figuring if there are any issues, they should surface in the first 4 years/50k.

(5) Price / Dealer: The credits seem to change daily, so I think you have a good price, but just work your way down from $500-$1,000 over invoice (2013 MY, I assume). Is the eco-credit down to $3,000 on your quotes? Also, I went to Fairfax for their Olympic promotion back in June and they forgot how to return a call or e-mail afterwards. Horrific follow up and I've heard bad things about service. They clearly didn't want me to order a car; they wanted to clear out their lot of X5d's in bad colors. I took the $1,000 BMW coupon to Silver Spring and got a great deal and follow up from sales manager. Haven't needed service yet, but friends go there (not Rockville) and have positive referrals. Rockville (VOB) has a bad reputation and obnoxious attitude. As in, "we have 20 X5d's in stock, none with SAP because nobody wants that". I did. I think Passport is OK if you can get there from here. Not too convenient for me.

Good luck.
    Upon further consideration, I see your point about the premium package vs. the comfort access. I think I will have to get the premium package...

Also, the sport activity with the multi-contour also seems like the way to go because then I can get the cinnamon brown with the red exterior.

The Passport sales person was the most helpful and easily contacted. Passport is very inconvenient for me, but really the only convenient dealer is Fairfax and they won't even return my phone calls. I kept hearing "we will get back to you by tomorrow" and then nothing at all.

Yeah, I have a little guy and we're buying the car to be able to cart around more than 2 little guys with their car seats... I'm not sure how much I want them destroying my car regularly, but I kind of love the 35D torque... Definitely can't do any interior that is too light (such as oyster) because I am afraid of the stains that the little guy might make.

I was debating about the heads up display because I'm putting the premium package on. Seems like the directions on your screen in front of you would be cool and probably safer. And I like the idea of the side cameras. But this purchase seems to just be climbing in price...

I think I am settled on premium, sports, multicontour, 3rd row...

Can you tell me who your "good independent mechanic" is?
    Unless you drive more than 12,500 miles a year, you won't really need an independent mechanic until 2017, given the 4/50 included maintenance by BMW. Ours for our "regular" cars (Acura, BMW) is D&D in Silver Spring. For my former, and possibly future, Porsche, it's Intersport in Tysons.

Regarding the cinnamon brown and red color combination, someone else posted awhile back that they picked this combo off of a photo and then it looked different when the vehicle arrived. They were trying to cancel their order as a result. Photo's of black, oyster and beige are pretty similar, but I've seen photo's of the cinnamon that ranged from brown to orange to pink. If you haven't already done so, I definitely this is a color combo you want to see in person in daylight.

We passed on both the technology and premium sound packages. No regrets on either decision there.
  • icechunkicechunk Member Posts: 5
    Is it not possible to get the M Sport package on a X5d? I can only add it to a X5 3.5 Sport Activity on bmwusa.com
  • astlawastlaw Member Posts: 2
    Friends,

Any and all comments on the following are greatly appreciated. Here is what I recieved today from a dealer on Costco pricing:

2013 X5 Diesel: Costco arrangement is for $800 over invoice

MSRP Base: 56,700
    Premium Pkg: 3,600
    Cold Weather Pkg: 750
    Prem. Sound: 950
    Running Boards: 300
    Space-Saver Spare: 150
    Destination 895
    Total: 63,345

Since he did not have any 2013s on the lot he figured MSRP at 7% above invoice (actual number will be verified), so his invoice figure was 59061. For some reason, his invoice+800 number was 59,761.27

Pretax 56,761.27 (eco credit of $3000 applied)
    Dealer doc fee: 599
    License and misc fees: 39
    subtotal 57,399.27
    +
    7% tax in my county: 61413.21
    less holiday credit and loyalty 2250
    Out the door: 59,163.21

How much better than $800 over invoice could I do assuming it's a car that the dealer would be ordering for me and is it correct that the holiday credit and loyalty credit come off after-tax rather than pre-tax. Also, shouldn't the eco credit be $4500 rather than $3000?

Thanks for any and all replies!
    I think $800 over invoice on a customer ordered 2013 is a pretty good deal. Although the dealer doc fee of $599 is very high. That essentially makes the deal $1,400 over invoice which is not so good. My dealer charged $199.

Apparently the eco-credit has been reduced to $3,000 from $4,500. Sorry about that, but that's still better than the $2,500 it had been prior to May/June on the 2012's. I figured the $4,500 wouldn't last forever. Plus having a 2013 vs. 2012 MY is worth something extra at trade in or resale time.

You might want to add BMW Apps to your option list, IMO. Pretty cheap and a good way to integrate your i-phone or android to telemetrics.

All credits were taken off my pre-tax price, so push your dealer on that one. You are paying 7% tax on an extra $2,250; that's $157.50 that will fill the diesel tank a couple of times.
  • astlawastlaw Member Posts: 2
    Wow, thanks so much for your very detailed answer. Unfortunately in Atlanta where I am all of the dealers seem to have their doc fee at $599 and are unwilling to change that line item. Maybe elsewhere there's room. I'll see what I can do but thanks again for the good advice.

Any opinion on whether premium sound pkg is worth $$ rather than standalone satellite? Upgraded stereo worth another $600?
    edited December 2012
    Hello Everyone,

Well, we finally did it! We ordered our new X5 Premium (gas). Our price was $200 over invoice. One thing to watch out for is that some dealers tried to sell me $X over invoice, but would try to charge retail for every option. My price was invoice for the car, invoice for every option/package, + $200. The MSRP is $65420. Our price came out to $60925. This includes the "new" ZC3 convenience package with the soft close doors (Edmunds is still listing the ZCV package, which is out of production), the luxury seating package, the technology package, premium sound package, running boards, BMW apps, Space-Saver Spare, BMW's handling fee of $895 and MACO fee of $380. Our dealer offers free any time car washes and free loaner cars, along with the normal maintenance, etc. We are thrilled with our purchase and would recommend them any time! I'm not sure if I'm allowed to share the dealer's information here, so PM me if you would like further. We are in Southern California. We decided to lease it through BMW, so we could take advantage of the holiday incentive of $1500 (after our price). Also, I read some posters are being charged a high doc fee. Ours is only $80. I hope this helps someone out.
    Premium sound is really in the ears of the beholder. We didn't go for it as I thought the standard system was good enough and didn't hear that much of a difference. But you should listen for yourself.
  • paulx52013paulx52013 Member Posts: 2
    Hi

I just got a price for the BMW X5 SAP for $60,130 - $1,500 (with BMW finance) with Space Gray Metallic, Black 'nevada' Leather.
    -Convenience Package
    -Cold Weather Package
    -Sport Package with Multi-contour seats
    And I have a trade-in for $8,500
    I live in Chicago.

Is this a good price? Thank you.
  • kackikacki Member Posts: 18
    edited December 2012
    No idea about the X5, but that looks like a very good price for the trade-in, especially for Chicago.
  • laavramlaavram Member Posts: 7
    I have an offer from my local dealer for BMW X5

X5 xDrive35d @ Invoice
    Base + 3rd row Seat + Navigation

X5 xDrive35i @ $500 over Invoice
    Base + 3rd row seat + Navigation + (Leather Seat, Heather Front Seat, Power Tail Gate, Parking Distance Control that are standard in 35d)

I am looking to buy the BASE model with the options listed above. My Offer price is Invoice + Dest charges. The only additional charge that include is the MACO/Service Fee of $610

Is it a good price?
    You should be looking at $500 over invoice BEFORE the various credits; well under invoice after applying: holiday, Eco, loyalty, etc.
    Just closed X5 xDrive35d @ Invoice. Custom Order with 4-5 weeks for delivery. Roughly 15% off MSRP after the ECO Credit and Holiday Cash incentives. Besides, Tax & Tag, the only other additional fee includes $250 Doc Fee.

My options include base + premium package + 3rd row seat + BMW Apps.

Thank to everyone for sharing your deals.

Habitat,
    Thanks for the info. Please let me know on how i did on my deal.
    Sounds like you did very well, especially on a 2013.....

....but with all that money you saved, you might want to consider adding the $300 running boards. We took a 4 day trip over the holidays to PA in which it snowed every day and the running boards came in very handy for knocking the snow off my boots before getting into the drivers seat. They also seemed to keep road mush from splashing up and covering the lower part of the door. And, IMO, they look good and are functional for helping wash the roof/windshield without pulling out a ladder. Acura charges double for their less attractive running boards, and Porsche charges about $5,000 for everything, so at the end of the day $300 is a giveaway.

Are you picking up in Spartanburg?

Congrats on your deal.
  • 00boxsters00boxsters Member Posts: 202
    Strongly suggest running boards on the X5 be avoided with respect to Habitat1.

Unless you mount a kayak or something on top frequently, I'd avoid them.

They get your pants dirty upon each ingress and egress, tend to be the first part to discolor or dare i say show rust spots, and also make it tediously harder to step into the vehicle causing you to reach and stretch further. Unless you mount a kayak or something on top frequently, I'd avoid them.
    edited January 2013
    I'm not sure what running boards you are referring to, but they don't sound anything like the ones on our X5:

- Aluminum and hard plastic/rubber don't rust.

- They only extend out approximately 3.5" from the lower door sill, which given the curvature of the door, is barely 1" beyond the middle of the drivers door. I'm not sure how you ingress/egress your vehicle, but it's a non issue for me, my wife and daughters. In fact, they use it to assist as a toe step.

- About the only thing I would NOT recommend is trying to use the running boards as a step for putting a kayak on the roof. They don't extend far enough out from the vehicle to give you a solid platform and attempting to stand edgewise on them with a kayak over your head is likely to end up ugly.

- Personally, I got them mostly for appearance and partly to use as a slight step when holding on to the roof rail and washing/drying the roof of the vehicle. But our experience in having them in the snow was that they worked well as a way to kick snow off your boots and reduce the amount of slush that made it up the door from the wheels (i.e. defacto mud guards).

In any event, they are an easy item for others to test drive themself, as most X5's I've seen on lots come with them.
    Thanks for the suggestion and i will call the dealer today to see if i can add the running board.

I agree that these running boards are primarily for convenience i.e., to kick snow or sand off your boots and for easy climbing into the car and not a good idea to hang things off the roof. We can certainly use them but be prepared for getting our clothes dirty as we lean to the vehicle.

As of now, I am planning to pick up the vehicle from SC. I still have another week or so to make that decision.
    edited January 2013
    As of now, I am planning to pick up the vehicle from SC. I still have another week or so to make that decision.

If you can swing it, I can guarantee you won't regret it. I had a 911S for 5.5 years and learned more about how to drive a car properly in 4 hours at the Performance Delivery Center. Skidpad, anti-lock brake strip, mini-formula one course...all with professional racing instructors giving you tips. Plus taking the X5d (theirs, not yours) over their off road course will really show you what all those hill descent and hill hold buttons do, along with the x-drive, etc. It really is the only way to truly appreciate BMW engineering. And the price - free - is hard to beat.

They run a first class operation, from picking you up at the airport in an X6 to dinner and room at the Marriott, to the one-on-one delivery of your vehicle in a private showroom. Damn, I'm nearly talking myself into getting a BMW M3 instead of the Cayman S I have on order!
  • kvchang1kvchang1 Member Posts: 4
    Hi Laavram,

I have similar build for the X5 xDrive35d. May I ask how much you pay for it?
    53500??
    I paid 55k with addtion of soft close and running board.
    thanks
    kv
    Around $53.9k. Looks like you also did good for $55k
    thanks! good to know
    standard is only up to 4 yrs/50k. Anyone buys extended one? if yes, how much for each?
    thanks
    edited January 2013
    I declined the extended warranty/maintenance option. Was quoted $3,217 for the extended warranty and $2,495 for the extended service. Ridiculous prices, IMO, given that it's only 2 more years, unless you are a higher mileage driver (12,500+ miles per year). I had no intention of purchasing so I didn't haggle and they knew better than to hard sell me.

We have a good independent mechanic that would be 30-40% less than dealer charges for routine oil changes, fluids, brakes, alignment, etc. And does not pad the service with unnecessary repairs. The only thing I would be concerned about would be a major out of warranty repair in years 5 or 6, and I figured I'd take my chances. There are other reputable third party warranties that my mechanic recommended if I get nervous between now and the 4/50 factory warranty expiration.
    thanks for the quick respond.
  • x5fan2x5fan2 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

Can you please share with me the contact info of your dealer. I want to custom order a X5. Thank you.

I am not sure how to PM you.
  • leoyueleoyue Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for a X5 xDrive35i, the dealer offer me: INVOICE price + destination fee($695) + $500 + tax. Does it is a good deal?

Just want to confirm with yours that when yours talking about the price, the tax is include or extra?

BTW: It's in Houston, TX. The sales is very nice.
    I couldn't figure out how to send you a private message, either. Send me an e-mail with "need BMW dealer" in the subject line. To prevent spam, I'm writing my address backwards (hope that works!): moc.loa@920tl

I'll respond to you with all the info as soon as I get it.

This goes for anyone else who wants the info. We're very happy with our new car and the dealer I dealt with was very honest.
  • vonnrvvonnrv Member Posts: 18
    Please comment on this deal -

CAP Cost: $57191
    Money Factor: .00135
    Residual Value: 56%
    Terms: 39 mos.
    Mileage: 12K
    * Refundable Sec. Dep: $ 4550
    * Lease Payment: $643.94 with tax (CA)

1. First mo payment $643.94
    2. Acquisition Fee $725.00
    3. Title/License Fee $505.75
    5. Doc. Fee $85.00
    6. Down Payment $5,000.00
    7. Incentives $(1,500.00)
    *Cash Due at Signing $5,459.69
  • mlevinemlevine Member Posts: 581
    Woild like to know MRSP to compare to cap cost. Is security deposit really $4550? If it is then are you using it to lower the money factor? Adding all the fees, first month and security deposit gives one a down payment of $6500.69. If the incentive is taken off the the number is $5,000.69. Usually the incentive is taken off the MRSP by dealers, but one should take it off the invoice of the vehicle. This should be your starting point for the cap cost. Hard to analyze this deal at this time.