Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• vonnrvvonnrv Member Posts: 18
    Thank you in advance for your assistance.

MSRP: $60,520
    Security Deposit: $4550 (to lower the money factor. Refundable after lease term)
  • mlevinemlevine Member Posts: 581
    Is the $5,000 down include the $4,550, I suspect it does not. If the $5,000 is separate then you are lowering you cap cost of $57191 by about $3000. (Take away about $2000 from $5,000 for up front fees.) I calculated a depreciation payment based on new cap cost of about $54,191 which is about $520.00. Residual is $33891.2. Finanace charge is about $120. Pretax lease would be about $640.00. I think this explains your current lease. Most thought are not to put much down except minimum up front fees. I would try to lower the cap cost more without putting money down. The security deposit to lower the money factor is okay. I believe this may be your deal, but let me know if I am wrong with my thoughts or calculations.
  • vonnrvvonnrv Member Posts: 18
    Hi,

The $ 5,000 DP does not include the SD of $4,550. My negotiated cap cost is $52,951. By the way, car has the convenience package.

Based on the information, do you think there is still plenty of room to negotiate the CAP cost?

Thanks again.
  • mlevinemlevine Member Posts: 581
    It depends on how agressive your dealer wants to be. Right now you have a great cap cost, but the reason it is lower is you are putting five thousand dollars down to lower it. Use the Edmonds program to see what invoice is on your car. This will help to analyze your deal better. As I previously mentioned putting money up front is not recommended. I would also ask the dealer for the breakdown of your approximately $5,400 up front. If you do not put the 5 thousand up front, your lease payment is going to probably be $750 to $800. It is hard to give you a straight answer as all the information is not available.
  • glen71glen71 Member Posts: 4
    I am wondering what are other folks in LA Metro area are paying over invoice now days. Is 250 a reasonable offer to make?
  • toy4metoy4me Member Posts: 13
    Yes, it's defiinitely reasonable. We got two different dealers to agree to $200 over invoice, one in North Hollywood and one in Riverside, on the car we ordered. Just make sure they actually charge you invoice for all options and THEN add the $250. I had one who was going to charge $200 over invoice for the car but then tried to charge retail for the packages/options we wanted.
    I never got any e-mails from you. Did you already get a car? I'd be happy to share my experience with you if you contact me. I left you my address in my first reply.
  • glen71glen71 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you Toy4Me, I will talk to the North Hollywood dealer and post the results.
    edited January 2013
    Ask for Henry Martinez. I think he's the Internet Sales Manager. Tell him Ariel sent you. He'll take good care of you.
  • bimmerbuyer1bimmerbuyer1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi! -
    We have a deal on the table for a 2012 X5d dealer loaner car with 10k. Quite a few extras with a MSRP of 65.5k - dealer price offered is 52.5k - is this a good deal? Alternative deal: 2013 X5d MSRP 62.5k - dealer offer 56.5k ? Is there room to deal more and/or which one would you go for?

Thanks in advance!
  • kimaskimas Member Posts: 14
    Where are you located? Considering there is an eco credit of $4500 on the car, i think $13k off is already a good deal. However, depending on the market, i believe you could negotiate up to $15k off. Try to get close to $15k off as much as you can.
  • madmaxatulmadmaxatul Member Posts: 2
    Can you tell me which dealership you went to for this deal?
  • maylhmaylh Member Posts: 9
    So it is 500 over invoice. I am interested in the same model. Do you mind to pass the dealer info? Thanks in advance.
  • paulx52013paulx52013 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my BMW X5 from Perrillo BMW IN CHICAGO. Ask for KEN if you like to.
    Good luck.
    edited February 2013
    It was $500 over invoice for everything, including options, plus tax. We ended up leasing instead of buying for tax reasons, but the price was still the same. On a lease, you just pay the tax monthly, instead of all up front, as when you buy.

As for our dealer info, it was BMW of Riverside in Southern California.
  • mrygalmrygal Member Posts: 4
    Hi. I am in Georgia and was offered 6% off of MSRP plus tax and fees for any BMW X5 I chose to order. Essentially, MSRP was $64,570 and they would sell it for $60,695. We tried to offer $59,000 plus tax and fees but they stood firm at the 6% off saying they would lose money if they sold it for any less. Is it worth pushing the issue or do you think this is the best we can do?
  • socal59socal59 Member Posts: 82
    $500 over invoice price is pretty typical. You get the invoice price here on Edmunds. Usually it comes out to about 10% off msrp.
  • glevumglevum Member Posts: 2
    BMW will openly tell you their mark up is 8%. You will see this on other sites such as bmwconfig.com and nada.com when you 'build it'. Dealers will give you 8% off everything inc options and than deduct any rebates/incentives. Even if you don't drive a BMW already, mention the word Audi and they will throw in their '$750 loyalty cash'! Good luck!
    Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't able to use some of the features to build the car on bmwconfig for some reason. I am still waiting for a response from other BMW dealers about their best price so I will keep you posted. So far, two have come back at 6% off being their bottom line so I will keep pushing.
    One more thing, should I be looking at 8-10% off or $500 + invoice and then add MACO, destination & training or should that be included?
    Hi. Can you give me some insight on the process? My main question is regarding the contract or negotiated sales price? We have settled on a price and I am getting ready to submit my deposit for the order. Do I need to have a contract signed confirming the price before giving them my deposit? I just want to be reassured that things won't change once it arrive and I go to make final payment on it. I think everything will be fine but there's just the slightly paranoid side of me that wants to know if I need a signed contract confirming the price. I have the emails settling on price.
    For us, they ordered the car exactly as we wanted it without any deposit or signed contract, just a handshake. I'm sure that's the exception and not the rule. I would probably be more comfortable signing a contract with everything spelled out, even if they required a deposit. When our car arrived, they called us and we came in to pick it up. We signed everything and drove it away without paying a cent!

Our deal was $200 over invoice and $1800 holiday cash from BMW, so it was like getting the car for $1600 under invoice. They just applied the $1800 as our downpayment. We leased the car, which had the convenience, technology, and luxury seating packages, as well as the upgraded stereo and a spare tire.
  • jasonmdbmwjasonmdbmw Member Posts: 117
    The $750 Loyalty cash cant just be "thrown in". It is a rebate and you have to provide proof that you currently own a BMW to qualify for it and finance the vehicle through BMWFS
  • tresmac1tresmac1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I am in Maryland and am negotiating the purchase of a 2013 BMW X5, premium with the Cold Weather and Convenience package. The MSRP is $61,370.00. Based on this forum, I have made a few offers, the closest I have come to even having the dealer begin negotiations is with the KBB fair purchase price of $57,534 plus tax. Yet this is $1,000 over invoice. Is the "West Coast" average of $500 over invoice different then the East Coast average, or is it just a matter of tenacity? Inventory is very high. Thanks!
  • 1985mb1985mb Member Posts: 60
    I don't know about the West Coast, but on the East Coast the tri-state area of NY-NJ-CT (or NY-NJ-PA) is very competitive. While I've personally been looking at CPO X5's, I would hazard a guess that invoice should be achievable on a car that is just on the cusp of being replaced by the all-new 2014 X5 in August.

Even if you can't wait til 2014s are flooding the lots, if you can wait til 6/30 you can benefit from in 3 possible ways:

1. Presumably more pressure to sell 2013s
    2. Month and quarter-end (incentive to meet volume targets)
    3. BMW Ultimate Drive event in June (upon which you can get a $1,000 voucher for the purchase/lease of any new 2013 BMW, with a couple exceptions).
  • josie_walesjosie_wales Member Posts: 3
    Dealer lose money? An insider at my dealership informed me that they pay zero money for their cars, so what is there to lose? Their BMWs remain the property of BMW, it never becomes that of the dealer. You pay BMW Financial for the car, and they own it throughout the process
  • gurlzlkcars2gurlzlkcars2 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
    I am looking at leasing (or purchasing) an X5 3.5i SAV with Convenience pkg, luxury seating pkg, premium sound pkg, cold weather pkg, bmw apps, and lane departure warning.

15K miles @ 39 months

MSRP 67120
    Dealer Discount -3991
    Ultimate Drive -1000

Capitalized cost 62129
    Residual prectange 54%
    Money Factor .00167 (I asked about this being higher and the dealer told me they make the best deals because of the money they take off up front and this being set at .00167 instead of .00127 allows them to recoup on the back end) Can someone put this in layman's terms for me? :confuse:

Acquisition Fee 725 (dealer said this gets rolled into the lease charge so not due up front)
    Disposition Fee 350
    Documentation fee 325
    Taxes 300 flat fee for SC

So my total due at signing would be 1151.54 and payments would be 847.54 for the lease

Am I just better off purchasing? Based on what he said about the money factor and the acquisition fee should I be concerned?
    Gurlz,
    If you had the option shop another dealer. This guy is giving you the run around. There are some junk fees, discount is not that great and not offering you the buy rate money factor. If you can hold out longer, there will better leave rates, since the all new 2014 X5 will be out in August. I hear dealers have large inventories of X5's on their lots now, which is good for buyers that can hold off a bit on their purchase.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    I don't really see that selling price as so outstanding that they have to make it up on the other end...

But, in real terms, the .0004 bump in the MF adds $39.35/mo. to your lease price... That's $1535 more over the life of the lease..

Also, if they are rolling the $725 into the lease, then that is going to change the CAP cost.... I only mention this, because they might mark up that fee as well.... and, if they don't disclose the actual CAP cost, you might not know it..

I usually won't buy with a marked-up money factor..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    >>00167 (I asked about this being higher and the dealer told me they make the best deals because of the money they take off up front and this being set at .00167 instead of .00127 allows them to recoup on the back end) Can someone put this in layman's terms for me?

"we're screwing you."

They are marking up the money factor 31%.
    Thanks kyfdx. I priced the car using the Edmund's True Market Value pricing tool. The MSRP was 67150, the invoice was 61770, and the true market value was 63800. If I can get them to use the .00127 MF and the 57% residual, does it seem like a better deal?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    The base rate on the MF will obviously be a better deal than the marked up one.. but, residuals are fixed.. You can't negotiate that..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

lol, thanks ponytrekker. the more I learn about leasing, that seems to be exactly what's going on.
    I would shoot for $500 over invoice, ig you feel gutsy $200 over invoice. Like I said before, there are a lot of these on the lots and the new model is right around the corner. I would send a few emails to dealers telling them what you're looking for with the base rate MF and residual.

I'm in the market for one too and I'm waiting to see what Julys numbers will be or maybe August as well. I like the way the 2014 looks and it has a great looking interior, but if I can get a good deal on a 2013 24 month lease ill wait two more years.
  • beth03456beth03456 Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I'm looking at a used 2012 with 12,000 miles in DC area. Its a bronze x35i Premium with convenience, entertainment, third row seat, cold weather, premium sound, tech packages, power liftgate. The original MSRP was reportedly $67K, they are listing for $56K. Any thoughts on a fair price? I'd pay cash. Can you get a USAA discount on used cars?

I like it and would like to go ahead and buy, but I'm willing to wait for the fall when more 2012's will come on if I need to - hoping they will be interested in clearing this one out now though.

Thanks for the help!
    Beth, if they are asking $56 k, then offer them $48k or so. They have room on that car. You can probably settle on low $50's I'm not sure what Blue Book is on that car. You can check here on this site too. You can buy a brand new one for about $5k more.
    Thank you socal. The KBB was about $48-$49K. Not sure I can get it if its over $50K given all the new cars out there I can get for that. I was thinking a 15% discount off their price, but have never purchased a used car before.
  • bmw_carbmw_car Member Posts: 10
    I am thinking of purchase at the end of lease and trying to find what are my options.

I have X5 2011 Premium 35i with Technology package, third row seats, running board and cold weather. Even after 3 years of use, it smells and looks like a brand new car. I like the car so far and even if I re-lease it, I would probably go with same car. I may choose few additional options but it would just be a minor change. In nutshell, I love my current car.

My residual is ~$38.5K. I would like to know the following:

1. Does dealership provides certification or extended warranties when you buy the car ? Is it common or rare for this car ?
    2. Should I purchase the extended warranty or certification ? What is the typical cost of each ?
    3. What are the additional costs on top of paying residual when you buy the car ?
    4. Can I possibly get a certified pre-owned car around the same price as my residual ? I am finding the list price average between $45K to $50K. Can I expect 20% room for negotiation ?
    5. Any other advice from someone who did the purchase at the end of lease ?
    6. Shall I go via BMW financial directly or through dealership ?
    7. What is the typical financing rate for buyout at the end of lease ?

Thanks everyone for your advice and responses.

-bmw_car
    I purchased my current X5 at lease end. I offered them $4k less than residual; a few dealers didn't bite including the one I purchased it from. A nearby dealer went with it, they certified the car to 100k miles, detailed it put new Michellin tires on. I got the current financing BMW was offering (3.9%). Overal it was an easy transaction and I kept a car that I knew was well taken cared of. If you want your current X5 offer a few grand below the residual. They don't really want it back and have to sell it etc. Try different dealers.
  • bhavinpabhavinpa Member Posts: 19
    Not sure if this a good deal or not. I turned it down thinking late July or Aug might have better MF and a push to sell off 2013's.

Base 2013 X5 35i
    ZCV convenice package
    Power Tailgate
    Heated front seats
    Park Distance Control
    Navigation System
    MSRP $54, 175 with dealer price at $49920 which includes a $2200 cap cost reduction and $1000 bmw loyality rebate. Actual dealer discount is $1050.
    39 month lease @ 12K/year is $599 per month with LA tax.

Is this a good deal?

Thanks!!
    Seems like a fair deal. What's the MF? What dealer, in Los Angeles area?
  • bhavinpabhavinpa Member Posts: 19
    Not sure about the MF, he didn't provide it. Glendale.
    I found another dealership giving me a $51,420 without cap cost and BMW loyality. With BMW loyality, the car is at invoice.
  • josie_walesjosie_wales Member Posts: 3
    As for my 3 local BMW dealers I've found that if I want a new (X5) built for me, according to my desired options (color, packages, etc.), they will not compete amongst one another. One price fits all.
  • car_enthuzedcar_enthuzed Member Posts: 15
    To ask Beth's question more broadly, do folks have general advice for purchasing through BMWs CPO program in terms of what negotiated price to aim for/expect (i.e. XX% under asking) or other relevant advice? I'm looking for a 2011-2012 X5 with relatively low mileage as well.

Beth, any luck in your negotiation?

Thanks!
    My negotiations went very similar to the advice posted above (thank you!). They lowered the price and I got a bit more off, helped with a USAA discount, settled at ~$50K. It might have made sense for us to price out a new one or look at other used options but there weren't many other 2012-2013s with premium, third row and beige seats available, so overall we were happy with the deal. I love it.
  • kr3pt0nkr3pt0n Member Posts: 8
    Would anyone be able to recommend a dealer in northern california that recently concluded a $500+invoice or better deal on a new x5? My negotiations skill must suck as I'm getting $1000+invoice+bank fee as my best, even on the car that is already on the lot.
  • bamelingbameling Member Posts: 1
    Hello all. Wondering if someone can take a look at this offer and let me know if it is a good deal or not. 2013 BMW X5d. Comes with Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Cold Weather Package, BMW Apps, and Running Boards. MSRP is $63,445. This was used as a demo and has a little under 5,000 miles on it. Dealer is offering it for $54,944.

Thoughts?
  • fledexfledex Member Posts: 2
    I am going to say this is a no deal. I purchased a brand new 2013 x5d with MSRP of $61,975 for $52,975 last Saturday and my buddy got a similar discount and had an additional $1000 loyalty credit. They are trying to get rid of the 2013's right now so negotiate more or try a different dealer.
    Even at my purchased price, they are not losing money.

By the way, the dealer I dealt with was in Dallas, TX which is not exactly highly competitive.
  • tom_mdtom_md Member Posts: 1
    Can you please share the config which you got and how much was it over invoice?
  • fledexfledex Member Posts: 2
    Space Gray X35D
    Premium package
    BMW apps
    Satellite Radio
    Space Saver Spare Tire
    Invoice is 57,633 using Edmunds

I paid 52,975 (including the 3.5k ECO credit) + TT&L
    No trade-in and no loyalty since I had a BMW more than 12 months ago.