Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• fjoycefjoyce Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for replies on my X5 pricing question. Got three bids from local dealers, all over the net. Best price is $1,250 over what Edmunds shows as their invoice, $3,915 off of BMW MSRP.

For my package the MSRP is $59,880. Of that accessories are $7,780. Should there be more to squeeze because of the high amount of accessories MSRP, or is $1,250 over their invoice as good as I can expect before getting in the showroom?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,413
    is definitely a good start. go back and forth a couple of times. Let them know that you are a serious buyer and will come in to sign the papers if the price is right. Definitely let 'em sweat for a few days and see if they contatc you again.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• h2fanh2fan Member Posts: 27
    Hi compwhiz,

Can you please email me the Salesperson's name? (Email in profile).
    I would rather go to him than anyone else.

How do you like the X5 so far?

thanks
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    When posting about your experience with a dealership, you may post ONLY the dealership name, city, and state. You may not post a salesperson's name, phone numbers, email addresses, links to dealer web sites, etc.

Thanks!

Steve, Host
  • compwhizcompwhiz Member Posts: 46
    h2fan,

I tried to email you, but it bounced back. Please send me an email through my profile, and I will respond with the info.
  • ranajoranajo Member Posts: 57
    I am looking to purchase a X5 3.0 with the premium package, navigation system and cold weather package. The MSRP is working out to $48125.

I am looking for a lease term between 36 months and 42 months depending on which would provide the best deal in terms of the residual. Annual mileage would be 15K. I have flawless credit with a FICO score of over 740.

What would be the lease terms that I should aim for - specifically the money factor and residual that would be appropriate?

Thanks for any help.
    Hi compwhiz,

I am sorry that the email bounced, though I am not sure why. I checked your profile and your email address is private. Can you please try to email me again? I will really appreciate it.

thanks,
    I am looking to purchase a X5 3.0 with the premium package, navigation system and cold weather package. The MSRP is working out to $48125.

I am looking for a lease term between 36 months and 42 months depending on which would provide the best deal in terms of the residual. Annual mileage would be 15K. I have flawless credit with a FICO score of over 740.

What would be the lease terms that I should aim for - specifically the money factor and residual that would be appropriate?

Thanks for any help.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    ranajo, you might also check our Lease Questions - Ask Here discussion for leasing advice.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have requested the assistance of the forum that you specified.
    Hi compwhiz,

I am sorry that the email bounced, though I am not sure why. I checked your profile and your email address is private. Can you please try to email me again? I will really appreciate it.

thanks in advance
  • hankypankyhankypanky Member Posts: 6
    Could you send me the name of Sales person also. I am in Chicago area and in the market for X5 3.0. Thanks
  • dupreedupree Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased with Auto, Prem, Sport, Rear Climate, Cold weather, Nav, Xenons, auto dimming mirrors. Bought from a little dealership in Milford, DE called IG Burton BMW. Ridiculously good customer service, but then again I was referred by someone "important". Anyway, on to what you care about... MSRP $53,670 >>> Purchased $50,670. I started at $50,000 and they started at $51,470. It took maybe 5 minutes.
  • kjkkjk Member Posts: 1
    My friend works in a dealership and offered me a price on a FULLY loaded,( except sport pack ) X5 3.0 2004 for NO money down ( except fees ) for 550.00 month ( including tax )

It looks great to me, but it the car business its hard to trust anyone.

thanks,
    es
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,559
    Fully loaded means different things to different people... The post above yours.. that is fully loaded. The vehicle your friend is referring to could MSRP for $53K or $47K. And the lease could be 3yr/45K or 4yr/40K.

That said, if the payment is $550/month tax included, with nothing down, it is going to be a good deal either way... The lease terms and the MSRP of the car will determine if it is a good deal or a great deal.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• smith83smith83 Member Posts: 60
    I am looking at a 2004 X5, demo with 5,400 miles on it. The car has the premium package, cold weather package, rear climate package, automatic, lumbar support, and xenons. MSRP is $49,420.00 and Invoice is $45,540.00. Without speaking to the manager, my salesman said he could do $1,000.00 over invoice. I am thinking $2,000.00 below invoice. What do you think I should offer?
  • jmcmusicjmcmusic Member Posts: 27
    If the 2K under invoice doesn't work you could try my Mom's inexperienced but crafty negotiation that she used successfully for a new Acura demo. $1 per mile off the MSRP. And it actually worked! That would be $44020, good for $1520 below invoice. It's seems hard to gauge what the fair price on a demo should be. Good luck.
    Here are the details:

Bought the X5 3.0 yesterday. It had 83 miles on the odometer. It came with auto transmission, premium package, navi, xenon, cold weather package, rear climate package.

Bank fees, sales tax, tt&l were all rolled into the monthly lease payment.

Signed a 39 month lease with 39K miles for payments of $605.96 per month. The only cash out was the first month's lease payment and a security deposit of $650.

MSRP 50620
    Money Factor 0.00125
    Residual 60%

Thanks to this forum for all the helpful information.
  • wantanx5wantanx5 Member Posts: 3
    I have decided to purchase a 2004 X5 3.0i with Prem Pkg, Navi, Rear Climate Pkg, Step trans, and Xenon. Located in southern California. MSRP is 50,070. First offer out of the box, no haggling, from dealer was $48,105. Good deal? Also was quoted approx $600 for monthly lease payment, including taxes. Can someone give me some color on this pricing?

Also, saw national campaign for lease program. Apparently 2004 X5 3.0i, step trans only (i.e., base model) with MSRP of $42,770 and lease payment, excluding taxes, of $449. Same program offers 2004 X5 4.4i, 19" wheels, Cold Weather Pkg and Sport Pkg with MSRP of $56,095 and lease payment ,excluding taxes of $618. Is there a dealer in southern California that is running these offers? Finally, does anyone know why the car that I am looking for in the paragraph above and a MSRP between the two prices in the national campagin leases for roughly the same monthly amount as a $56,095 car?
    Check the ad closely... I'm sure it mentions somewhere between $3000-$4000 due at signing.. By the time you roll that down payment into the monthly payments, then add tax, the amount comes way up... That $449 deal.. if you don't make the cap cost reduction, then add tax, and don't forget its for only 10K/year, and maybe you need 15K... That price will get up to $600 or more really fast...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• wantanx5wantanx5 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your response. Had originally priced in the same driveoff numbers, but had failed to include tax amounts. Problem is that the quotes that I have received from dealers are still roughly $30 off of what my guestimate is for the apples to apples comparison of the national campaign including taxes. Not sure if there are other imbedded costs that regional dealers incorporate. May also depend upon sales price of car and whether demand in southern California is higher than elsewhere in the country. Am I right?
  • jmcmusicjmcmusic Member Posts: 27
    Try New Century BMW in Alhambra. It's right on the South Pasadena line. They had at least 5 or 6 X5 3.0's for that exact same MSRP a couple weeks back. Both of the sales managers seem very open to skipping the sales floor BS. I helped my cousin lease a Z4 there a few months back and the service department is very responsive for me as well.
    The advertised deal includes a discount off of MSRP to achieve those numbers.. If the numbers don't add up, then the dealer is probably trying to get a little more profit out of the deal. The price is negotiable.. Just because they throw out a figure, doesn't mean they won't come down.. Leasing is just like buying, in that respect. Good luck.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• hyestyylehyestyyle Member Posts: 1
    can you please send me the dealer info. to HyeStyyle@aol.com? Thank you.
  • dhuangdhuang Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Can you send me the dealer information to dhuang1@optonline.net? Thanks!
    If you'll mark your email public in your Profile, you'll avoid most of the spam harvesters. Posting your email in a public forum (that winds up on Google and other search engines) guarantees you'll get a whole bunch of new spam.

Steve, Host
  • navcarnavcar Member Posts: 1
    Any buying experience with BMW dealers in the Northwest, good or bad, you like to share. Looking for a good deal on 2004 X5 3.0
  • joe94402joe94402 Member Posts: 1
    I just placed an order for a 2005 X5 3.0i, with premium package, rear climate package, automatic, and retractable load floor. My price $45191, which is $600 over invoice, destination charge, MACO, and TSF.

I shopped for the car almost completely by e-mail. Mailed (and web-formed) my requirements to 10-ish dealers in a 100-mile radius area and asked for a quote. About half of the dealers responded, and all of them quoted prices under the Edmunds TMV. The 2nd lowest quote suggested that I could get the 2005 X5 for just a slight increment in price, and that's the deal I went for.

All in all, this was the most pleasant car buying experience I've ever had. The most pleasant, except for one glaringly bad visit to Peter Pan BMW in San Mateo.

I would recommend to everyone in the area that they avoid Peter Pan BMW. They have the most unhelpful and rude sales staff. I initially wanted to shop there, since they are the local dealer for me. When my wife and I visited that dealership, we were completely ignored for a solid 20 minutes while she and I climbed in and out of the '04 X5 on the show floor. Other customers would come in, and they would be helped. My wife and I, we were completely invisible to them. Finally, exasperated, I grabbed someone to ask him to let us test drive the SUV. The guy stared at me blankly for a couple seconds and then turned away. They lost our business that day, when I would have been willing to try to reach a deal with them.

Oh, I am in the San Francisco Bay Area.
  • vcopellvcopell Member Posts: 10
    Can you please share the list of 10 dealers and the questions that you asked? You can email me directly at vcopell@yahoo.com.

Vic
  • doneby2010doneby2010 Member Posts: 27
    Hi Joe,
    I too live in the bay area and am looking at purchasing the X5 (not sure 3.0 or the 4.4). I would appreciate if you could email me, at b_najafi@comcast.net, the name of the 10 dealers you dealt with, including their responses (and your recommendation).

Thanks in advance.
  • petervpeterv Member Posts: 1
    Hi Vic,

I was wondering if you ever got the 10 Dealer names from Joe? I'm getting ready to order an X5 4.4

Thanks so much.
    Peter
    PeterV@GetToTheTop.com
  • autoxerautoxer Member Posts: 2
    I am trying to order a 2005 X5 3.0i, the best price I got was $1250 over invoice. Anyone know dealer who can do better? I am in the SF Bay Area.

Also anyone know what MACO and TSF are? Is it something I need to pay?

Thanks.
  • michael143michael143 Member Posts: 4
    I am thinking of purchasing a pre owned X5 4.4(2002) fully loaded with sport pkg, Navigation, moon roof,premium sound,multi compact disc,etc. The car is in mint condition and only has 9000 thousand miles on it.The dealer started with 46,900,after 3min got down to 45,500. Does this seem like a good price for a pre owned vehicle that is two years old.

Michael

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

When posting a message in the Town Hall, you may mention the name of the dealership and its location only. Names of salespeople and contact information (email/phone numbers) are not allowed, nor is bird-dogging for referral fees.

Steve, Host
  • npchen38npchen38 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a 2004 X5 3.0i and I live in Southern California. I was told by a dealership nearby that 1500.00 over invoice is the best price possible. Which dealership did you go to to get the 600.00 over invoice price? Also, if I paid cash at the time of purchase, will that lower the price any? Thanks in advance
  • 3pinfever3pinfever Member Posts: 10
    If the typical residual is 60% on and X5 why are 02 (coming off 3/36k leases) priced in the high $30ks.
    Let's say MSRP on a 3.0 is ~$49500 (Premium, cold, rear, xenon, lumbar)

The residual to the dealer is $29700

Add on a generous $2000 for CPO and the car should be priced in the low $30ks.

What is a reasonable over 'invoice' on a CPO'd car if you can calculate the dealer cost?
  • ccapccap Member Posts: 40
    I am looking for an X5 4.4i with sport, cold weather, nav, park distance, premium.

MSRP: $60,145
    Selling Price: $58,235
    2005 X5 4.4

36 mos./12K miles/yr.
     $874.61/month
     $1499.61 due at signing (security waived) 2.75% money factor 60% residual ($36087.00)

This doesn't sound like too good a deal, espically when they are making over 3k on the car!

Any help out there on this???
    '05s just came out.. You aren't going to find any $1000 over invoice deals at this time of year on a $60K car.

I think the MF is .00275 A small distinction, but important... because it is nowhere near 2.75%.

Actually, using .00275 and 60% residual.. I come up with $899 + tax.

Car_man on the Lease questions board may be able to verify your MF and residual numbers.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• zoranzoran Member Posts: 69
    Hey joe, I am in market for 4.4 2005 and also in bay area!! your dealership info would be appreciated

email;mnm94022@yahoo.com
    Since this is a message board format, we encourage dealership and pricing info to be posted for all members to see - exchanging info by e-mail deprives Town Hall of this knowledge. That's why we exist!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

pls Joe, as administrator indicated, pls post info here, for every one..thnx
    A midwestern newspaper would like to talk with someone who, in the past month, bought a luxury vehicle (other than a Lexus) for which no incentives were available. Please reply to jfallon@edmunds.com by Friday, October 8, 2004 with your daytime contact info and a few words about your purchase decision. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• wdhosswdhoss Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2004 x5 3.0i in Dallas on 9-31-04.
    Options: Prem Pkge, Auto Trans, Rear Climate,
    Self Dim Mirrors, and Xenon.

INVOICE - 44520
    MSRP - 48,520
    TMV - 46,725

I tried to reason that since this was an 04, that I should only pay Invoice price since in 3 months it was going to be a year old in book value.
    After a couple of hours, I got it down to 46,500.
    Sales Mgr supposedly said that was his final offer. I probably should have walked and waited for 05 model but they financed for %4.69 and I was ready to get behind the wheel. I just wonder what the TMV will be in Jan 2005. Volkswagon offered me 5000 off sticker for 04 Touareg. BMW salesman wryly smiled and said "That's what they have to do to move those things" and proceeded to tell me how BMW won't offer the large year-end discounts that Chevrolet and Dodge offer. He also said there won't be any 2004 models left in his dealership in another couple of weeks. There was only one in the showroom and I drove it out with 62 miles on it.
    After sales Tax,Title,License,Inspection,Deputy Fee(10.00),dealer's Inventory Tax (111.09) and Road Hazard for the wheels/tires (247.00), I paid 50,000 for my 2004 X5 3.0i.
    A midwestern newspaper would like to talk with someone who, in the past month, bought a luxury vehicle (other than a Lexus) for which minimal incentives were available. Please reply to jfallon@edmunds.com by Friday, October 8, 2004 with your daytime contact info and a few words about your purchase decision.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• karkykarky Member Posts: 2
    I contacted the internet department of Irvine BMW in Orange County, Cali. to get a quote on a black on black X5 with automatic and moonroof. Edmunds lists (+ destination) MSRP at 44,120, Invoice at 40,425 and 'what others are paying' at 42565. The first quote was $41,987 plus tax, DMV, and fees. This price includes floormats.

I responded with the following:

"Hmmm...I definitely want to purchase and not lease. This is a good price, over 2K under MSRP, about 1200 over 'invoice'. I certainly appreciate you getting back to me so quickly and quoting me such a good price. However, my cousin just purchased a new 545 for only 600 over 'invoice' up in the bay area, and a salesman at Crevier told me he could get me an X5 at under a thousand over invoice this past weekend. I'm not looking for the rarer 4.4 (with the engine shortage), so supply won't be a problem. In fact with the 2005's targeted to roll in within 2 months, waiting should certainly get me a better deal on the year old models. Is that the best price you can give me? I'm targeting something closer to the $500 over invoice range or better."

His response:

$41,600 plus tax and fees WITHOUT floormats would be the best price that I can extend. That is $500 over our true cost (which I can show you); it is $97 more (our cost) for floormats.
    Let me know if this is the BMW for you...

So, what should I do...41,700 is still about 1200 over what Edmunds lists as 'invoice'. Any suggestions on responses? I target picking it up next weekend, so I have time. Should I play hardball, and if so, what should be my response?
    is they will usually only bump the price down once or twice.. They tend to avoid a lot of back and forth.. Floor mats are not included in the Edmunds invoice, and he likely has MACO fees to pay BMW on his invoice as well..

I can't tell you if that is a good buy or not.. just that if you want that car, he's probably not going to come down any more.. that would be my guess.

Have you considered an X3 3.0? They have dropped the MSRP by about $3K for the new 2005 model.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• karkykarky Member Posts: 2
    Thanks kyfdx...I really don't like the look of the X3...it looks like a RAV4 or Highlander to me. Plus the fact that the ones on the lot we saw had stickers over 35 grand, I can't justify paying that much for something that looks to me to be in the $20-25 grand range.

I really like the X5, and I can play hardball if necessary, I can walk if necessary, and I can certainly wait or "lean toward an MDX/RX330" if necessary.

I want to get the vehicle at an excellent price, not just a very good price. Considering the 05's will be coming soon, I think my prospects are very good. But I can always use advice on how to respond to the offer and leverage the deal in my favor...
    Any one bought a great deal in SFO bay area?

I am interested but waiting off till Lexus Gx470 05 comes out!

I have good quotes of $1200 over invoice on 3.0 and $1750 over for 4.4? any one with recent deals?

I'll hate to see people getting into bigger X5 next year in 2006 model? any one with confirmation re model year change/redesign thnx
  • mynextcarmynextcar Member Posts: 30
    I saw 1.9% APR for X5 '04 models in Edmunds Rebate and Incentive section. Can someone confirm this is ture? I found a '04 model that I like but my dealer told me the financing is 2.9% not 1.9%.