Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn ION Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited March 2014 in Saturn
Share your Ion purchase experience here.

Comments

• uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    That's the Saturn thing. I bought an ION 2 with automatic last spring. I paid MSRP (of course) less a $1000 GM owner loyalty rebate and got 0% APR for 60 months. The buying experience was great--that's another thing Saturn is known for. No complaints with the car, the buying experience, or the 2 subsequent trips to the service department.
    I think Saturn is giving $2500 off MSRP on remaining 2003 model IONs right now.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    i believe til oct 31 you may still use 1000 dollars from your GM card as well.
  • legalseclegalsec Member Posts: 31
    My purchase : I bought a 2003 ION2 AT silver loaded with options for $2,700 under MSRP with 0% GMAC financing (60 mths). The incentives available to me at the time totalled $2,500. I thought I did pretty well for a first-time car buyer, but after reading these boards and those at SaturnFans, I am beginning to think that my husband should buy a 2004 ION just so I can get another crack at haggling down car prices. My fear that I was too easy for the dealer was confirmed when my salesman sent me a thank-you card and called me a couple weeks later to see how I was doing. ;)

Market adjustments : I just wanted to let you know that when Saturn say they have a "no-haggle policy", it doesn't mean that they won't drop the price in order to move a car off the lot. When I bought my 2003 ION in July of this year, the finance manager gave me a discount of $700 without much effort. [The only car they had close to my desired configuration had more options than I was willing to pay for.] I would imagine that with the surplus of 2004 IONs, the dealers would be just as willing to give market adjustments. But I'm not sure - this was my first car purchase after all. :)
  • nowarrantynowarranty Member Posts: 66
    I was thinking about getting A Saturn considering their current 2500 rebate offer but had a question about their No-Haggle pricing: I stopped by the Lot and was surprised (LOL, should I be, they are a car dealer!) to see $1000 Mark-up for the typical "Fabric Protection, tinting, etc." and was wondering if THIS padding was negotiable or if the No-Haggle applies to that as well. Thanks.
    When I bought my ION last year, they did not have these. When I was there last month for service, I noticed a bunch of these stickers. I would tell them I'm not paying it and leave. They are added profit and I'm sure they will not let you walk off the lot if you really want to buy an ION. Good luck!
  • nowarrantynowarranty Member Posts: 66
    I thought they might have added these additional mark-ups to offset the Big rebate. This was the first time I ever looked at the No-haggle Saturns and was surprised by this additional sticker which is usually reserved for haggling at other dealers. Thank you.
    Keep us informed on the Saturn ION thread about how it's going.
  • gweilogweilo Member Posts: 118
    $2500 rebate? Is this regional?
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    Yes, Saturn does try to practice the no haggle pricing, but the big "gotcha" is when they pack the car with dealer added accessories like tinted windows, dub wheels, and other stuff you may not want. The only way around this dealer nonsense is to order a car that's not on the floor and make them promise in writing they will not pack the car before delivery.

I've seen Ions jacked up nearly $6000 with this overpriced junk. Anyone wanna bet the Redlines will not only have no rebate but be packed with any and every possible extra???

Also keep in mind Saturn is no longer its own enitity, but is now just another GM division. How long they can resist the usual showroom garbage remains an unanswered question.
  • homestarrhomestarr Member Posts: 1
    the $2500 is only for cash buying, it should be at all dealers. If you want there is a 0% (yeah right) and $1500 bonus cash offer as well. I think it goes until the end of the month (2/29)
    Greetings!

I have seen a lot of remarks regarding the 0% APR, that is, people seem to guffaw as if its existence is as likely as a unicorn's.

Is my perception right? If so, why is that? I got 0% APR when I bought my ION2 last July; however, I probably had a number of things working in my favor.

Just wondering what the fuss is about.
  • beaunedocbeaunedoc Member Posts: 15
    I'm going out to check one out soon. Has anyone else driven one yet? beaunedoc
    I received 0% APR on my ION purchased last year as well.
  • joew44joew44 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased an Ion 2 with the 3000 regular rebate and an additional 2000 in "flex cash" vouchers.

Each "flex cash" voucher is worth $250.00

You have to ask the dealer about this. It isn't advertised.

It kind of gets away from the traditional Saturn policy of everyone paying the same price, but it was what it took to get us to buy now.

The idea from talking with 4 dealers before I finally found the car/color/options I wanted was that this was to move inventory before the 05's come out.

In the San Diego area some dealers have lists of cars that have been on the lot a long time and they want to sell quickly. These cars they will give the full $2000 flex cash in addition to regular $3000 rebate.

We got a 15,580 MSRP car for 10,580 plus tax and fees. And the dealer we went to Kearny Mesa Saturn gave us a good price on our trade in.

Been driving the Ion 2 for 2 days and love the car.
    This sounds like useful information. Thank you.
  • airbossairboss Member Posts: 17
    THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

I am buying my daughter a 2004 Ion Quad Coupe, $18,820 MSRP. The dealer offered me a fair price for my trade, plus $1000 in 'flex cash' (they told me they were $500 vouchers, and they were giving me the max, two), plus $3000 in lieu of financing.

I fax'd them a copy of your posting, they called me right back and said 'since you know the secret' we'll give you $2000 in flex cash vouchers!"

So, you saved me $1000. Thanks again!

Steve

PS. This was at Saturn of Indianapolis. I guess I could be peeved that they didn't give me their best price out of the box, but hey, that's the car game. It DOES PAY to be informed!
  • joew44joew44 Member Posts: 2
    I'm glad the info was helpful. I heard about the flex cash first in an ad in the LA Times from Saturn of Cerritos. They mentioned the 3000 rebate plus 2000 off on Flex Cash. I tried to reserach "flex cash" on the internet. Couldn't find much.

Then I checked with several local dealers sales managers and received good information.

The Saturn "ideal" was that everyone would pay the same price for the same car. But in todays world that isn't realistic, especially with the high MSRP.

I would not have purchased my Saturn at 15,500. I might have at 12,500 but I might have waited for the 2005 models since I wasn't in a hurry to buy. Once the price dropped on the car I wanted (the right color, right options, etc) to 10,500.... That gave me a reason to buy NOW.

And that's the way the market works. Price matters. Some buyers are very informed and pay less. Other buyers just wander into a dealership and pay more.

The bottom line for Saturn is that the ION hasn't been selling as well as expected and they had too many of the 2004 in the pipeline. They had to move 2004 IONs that had been on the lot too long. Lowering the price is the way to do it.

I've put on 650 miles on my Saturn and love it. Especially the gas mileage with actual San Diego urban usage 29mph.
  • lazzydoggylazzydoggy Member Posts: 1
    Anybody could explain how "flex cash" works? Is that cash rebate or some gift cards that can be used to purchase in some specified stores?

Thanks!
  • brett65brett65 Member Posts: 4
    I had worked out a deal at the Saturn dealership at the end of July and was all set to get the 3000.00 rebate plus the 2000.00 flex voucher. On Monday August 2nd, I went in to sign the papers and pick up my ION2...but was suddenly informed that the flex vouchers had run out. I was told previously they were good through August 2nd. The salesperson thought I would still buy the car for 2000.00 more....no way. I have always been happy with my previous Saturn experience...but not after this was pulled on me. I won't go back. I sent an e-mail to corporate and was told they were sorry, and thanks for being a Saturn customer. Things are definitely changing at Saturn.
  • airbossairboss Member Posts: 17
    According to the finance guy where I bought, they had a limited number, good for a limited time. Sounds like they either ran out or the time expired. Interesting they wouldn't have found some way to make it up to you.
  • wendy1wendy1 Member Posts: 4
    I want to know that too. What is flex cash voucher? Neither of the dealers I'm negotiating with has any idea what the flex cash is.
  • stillageekstillageek Member Posts: 114
    I was looking at buying a 2004 Ion Redline. The sticker was $22300 or so. It had a sunroof, 6 disc and the advanced audio system. The retailer would include all the "extras" free. The extras were tint, Saturn protection (basically a wax, fabric protection and rust proofing) along with Vin etching. These were tacked on at over $1100. The retailer offered $5000 off sticker. No a bad deal. I know $3K rebate and $2K flex cash. The flex cash was explained to me as $250 vouchers from Saturn that are given to dealers in exchange for taking "extra" cars. I actually passed on the deal. The quality of the interior didn't impress me. I have owned 3 Saturns (94 SL2, 96 SC2 classic and 97 SC2) and feel the old ones were just built better. It's sad to see Saturn wheeling and dealing like all other makes. The power didn't seem too great compared to my current car 03 Toyota Matrix XRS.
  • rascoerascoe Member Posts: 1
    I was in the process of helping my daughter select a car and find the right price. We were looking at the ION QC 3 and thinking about getting one considering the 3000.00 discount. After reading this message board and finding out about flex cash we decided to get the Saturn. The dealer said we threw him a curv. Did`nt know GM had made it public. I told him buyers have there secrets to! GOOD JOB! Thanks for the info!
  • sat24sat24 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to all who posted messages about flex cash vouchers. I just bought an Ion 2 with power package today. I purchased with a 3% market adjustment, $3750 rebate, and $1000 in flex cash.
  • mich04mich04 Member Posts: 1
    I just read prior posting regarding to flex cash
    vouchers.I'm on market to buy ion red line.
    Could you guys explain a little bit more how do you get flex cash vouchers?
    Do I have to ask the dealer if he willing give to me?Or I need to get it someplace else?
    Your help will be appreciated
  • sat24sat24 Member Posts: 2
    Dealers earn flex cash certificates in $250 amounts. They receive them for taking extra inventory etc.. You have to ask about them in most cases. I contacted three dealerships before I found one with them. I hope this helps.
  • driftracerdriftracer Member Posts: 2,448
    after reading here, but I was shocked this weekend - picked up my new black Ion Redline, got the $3750 factory "down payment assistance" (not rebate, as they pointed out), plus $500 in flex cash on the car as a "marketing adjustment", plus another $250 when I balked at the service contract...75,000 factory extended warranty for $500...not bad.
  • sman290sman290 Member Posts: 1
    There is no "gotcha" simply request that those are items that you do no want. You really need to drop this whole conspirecy thing. Also the Saturn Redline has all the same rebates as the rest of the Ion line up. Saturn has always been GM and while remain the same. Also you need to remember that one mans junks is another treasure. Let me know when you actually know what you are talking about...
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Let's stay on topic of Prices Paid & Buying Experiences.

Thanks!
  • blue58blue58 Member Posts: 9
    Went with my mother to help her lease a Ion2 today. Told the salesperson that I was a GM supplier but they never quoted the discount price to me. They just kept saying that it would be 4-5% off the price they gave me. Anyway they gave me a msrp of 14699 minus $1500 in incentives. For 13199. This was off from the 12830 that Edmunds said people were paying. IF im leasing, does it matter what the final sales price is. They told me they couldnt take it down to the 12830. They said it would be the 139 month 0 money down for 39 months. I thought Saturn had a no haggle policy. This particular salesperson didnt seem to give any details. He was always very vague and didnt give detailed pricing like when I purchased other GM cars with my discount. I feel like I was not being told something or they were trying to make money on me. Was this the case? Why would they never quote me an exact price due to the GM supplier discount? My mother wanted specifics and they seemed to do everything possible to dodge them.
    Hi, I've been out of the market for an ION and my brother-in-law might buy one. Would someone be kind enough to explain the effect of the current GM Employee Pricing system and flex cash certificates on the prior 2003 bargaining scheme, which consisted mostly of rebates and market adjustments? Thanks in advance. :)
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    ....I just read yesterday (in the Chicago Tribune) that GM is making 'pricing adjustments' and adding equipment in some models (in lieu of 'Employee Pricing') and that the Ion2 sedan, at least, is supposed to go down in base price to something like $12490 (down almost $2500). It might be wise to wait a month til the '06s come out and see what materializes.
    Thanks for the information. I'm not ready to buy yet, so I'll keep researching in the meantime. :)
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi everyone. Please use the following discussion to post any questions that you have about leasing a Saturn ION. Thanks.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums
  • danny14danny14 Member Posts: 30
    Can you give me the resdidual values and MFs for a 36 mo 36k lease on a 06/05 ION 1/2?
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Saw an ad in the paper Saturday for 2006 Saturns. All MSRPs were down and they were "value priced". I'm in Canada but I am sure you will see it state side also,
    a: If you were to lease a 2006 Saturn ION Sedan 2 through General Motors Acceptance corp. right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, its base lease rate and residual value should be 1.34% and 47%, respectively. GMAC is no longer offering supported leases on 2005 Saturn models.

Car_man
    Host
  • crimsondrcrimsondr Member Posts: 1
    i am in the market for a 2006 ion 2 in canada... are there any incentives or discounts i should be able to get out of the dealer? or is this no haggle policy true?
  • manueltrans1manueltrans1 Member Posts: 136
    The Saturn purchasing experience was the best experience in car purchasing I had. Now I am trying to purchase a Honda 06 Civic, it has been a month and a half of futile negotiations, and a battle of wits against a hungry bunch of sales persons whose income depends entirely on commission and how much they can get the customer paid above invoice. I have been lured into showrooms where they do not even have the car. I have given spills that I must pay premium for a factory order. I have had misleading low ball offers that balloons. I have been offered dizzy financial schemes to rip me off.

I long for the Saturn buying experience, but I want an improved version of the Ion.
    I like the 06 Honda Civic, but I hate the buying experience at Honda Dealers.

Would a replacement of the Ion be coming out soon?

Yours Sincerely, Manny
  • digindigin Member Posts: 1
    Saturn ION has a new 2.4L 170 HP engine that will also be used in the Sky...$990 option available in both the ion 2 and 3
    Adds Mucho pep...
    Great car for the money
  • brakbrak Member Posts: 11
    Hwy carman,

MSRP is $18000 on ION 3 loaded.
    What are current Lease rate and RV for 36 months......
    Incentives......I have three months to buy a car.....
  • brakbrak Member Posts: 11
    Got a great deal and the full Saturn experience, the whole staff introduced themselves. They even paid the last three payments of the leased vehicle I was currently driving.....
    Note: It really helps to walk in with a great credit score 750+ as this lets them know you can buy any car, any where.......
    Hey brak. If you were to lease a 2006 Saturn ION 3 Sedan through General Motors Acceptance Corp. right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its base lease rate factor and residual value should be 2.3% and 49%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • danny14danny14 Member Posts: 30
    Can you tell me the residuals and MFs for manual 06 ION 2 for 24months/24k and 36month/36k leases?
    Thanks
    Greetings danny14. General Motors Acceptance Corp., Saturn's captive finance company, publishes lease rates instead of money factors for the vehicles that it leases. You can convert its published lease rates into approximate money factor equivalents by dividing them by 2400. GMAC's current base lease rate and residual value for a lease of a 2006 Saturn ION 2 Sedan leased for 24 months with 12,000 miles per year are 2.3% and 67%, respectively. the numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease should be 2.3% and 60%.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • tg50tg50 Member Posts: 1
    When I use the lease calculation formula from "leasing tips" I always end up higher than the lease quote from the incentives page at Edmunds. For instance....using the formula and the figures: $18500 msrp, $1995 due at signing, 39 months, 49% residual, and 2.3% money factor---I come up with about $263 per month. The "lease quote" on the Saturn Ion page is $218. Where am I going wrong?
  • berne1berne1 Member Posts: 5
    These websites differ in the way they quote, as many don't include taxes and fees due to state differences. Also, some sites don't include rebates. Because of legal issues, a lot of times mfr websites don't quote rebates & taxes. That's probably the difference. At the numbers you stated I would come up with the $263 with 6% tax and doc & title fees, however that does not include any rebates, so as a rule of thumb take off about $20-$25 per month for every $1K in rebates.
  • alexkz14alexkz14 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone buy a Saturn ION in the DC area recently ?
  • jkwh50ajkwh50a Member Posts: 7
    Anyone buy a 2007 Ion 3?
This discussion has been closed.